Some sort of Egg 'RNG' Abuse (Read the first post!)

This is exactly what I did. As DunnoBro and nyczxjay corroborate, the random IV remains unchanged after resets. It seems the IV RNG calls are made before the day care man even has the second egg.

Also, this person claims to have reset a shiny Froakie into a normal one, suggesting the PID is not predetermined, but this is contrary to our other evidence. Was human error involved?
Eh fuck it I have a flawless 31/31/31/x/31/31 female and a flawless 31/31/31/x/31/31 foreign male as my parents so I'm just going to Masuda my shiny baby the old fashioned way. Watch the RNG troll me again and give me another 31/31/31/x/0/31 shiny baby Charmander... -_-

EDIT: I just hatched my perfect 31/31/31/x/31/31 shiny Jolly Charmander with DD, Outrage, Dragon Pulse!!! I shed a manly tear... :')

Last edited:
Also, this person claims to have reset a shiny Froakie into a normal one, suggesting the PID is not predetermined, but this is contrary to our other evidence. Was human error involved?
I'm confused now because he claims he had a shiny froakie, and then reset and it turned into a normal one and kept all of its stats. Yet I've obtained a Shiny Honedge using this method, and then reset, and it was still shiny.

Am I just extremely lucky?

It probably doesn't matter much, but I can confirm that this method works and that the seed remains the same after a trade.

I was able to 'lock' myself into an egg where SAtk is randomized. The parents I used, were:

Bunnelby (F): 3 / 31 / 15 / 11 / 3 / 30
Ditto: 8 / 21 / 26 / 22 / 18 / 31

For the sake of testing, I went with random Pokémon with no shared stats. After I confirmed that SAtk was random (between 3 and 10) and that HP, Atk and Speed were passed from dad and Def and SDef were passed by mom, I grabbed a random 31 / 31 / x / x / x / 31 male Adamant Speedboost Venipede I got via Wonder Trade and traded for a x/x/31/31/31/x Ditto with a friend.

First egg: 31 / 31 / 31 / 4 / 31 / 31 male Adamant Speedboost Venipede. :)

Okay, so here's something I don't understand.
Put two Solosis into daycare. Mom is 31/31/x/x/x/x and Dad is x/x/31/31/31/31.
Rejected first egg. Saved. Accepted second egg.
Baby was hatched. It has perfect Def, SpA and SpD.
How do I know which stat was the "Wild Card"? It could be either HP, Atk or Spe right?

You should figure out exactly what those x's are. You'll be able to determine what stat is passed and what is randomized, then go from there.

Okay, so here's something I don't understand.
Put two Solosis into daycare. Mom is 31/31/x/x/x/x and Dad is x/x/31/31/31/31.
Rejected first egg. Saved. Accepted second egg.
Baby was hatched. It has perfect Def, SpA and SpD.
How do I know which stat was the "Wild Card"? It could be either HP, Atk or Spe right?
What Thomaz said.

You should get two Pokemon with varying IVs between them as your "scouting" pair, as it lets you pinpoint exactly which parent the stats are being inherited from. For example, if you have a x/x/31/31/31/31 father and 31/31/31/31/x/x mother, it is hard to tell from which parent the Def and SpA stats are being inherited from.

You should figure out exactly what those x's are. You'll be able to determine what stat is passed and what is randomized, then go from there.
so basically, you need to IV Battle to determine the parents IVs, then another IV battle each child to see the spread?

Make sure your test pair have no IVs within 2 points of each
I'm confused now because he claims he had a shiny froakie, and then reset and it turned into a normal one and kept all of its stats. Yet I've obtained a Shiny Honedge using this method, and then reset, and it was still shiny.

Am I just extremely lucky?
I have a theory that shinyness is only kept if it is shiny through the normal method, not the Masuda Method. Was your Honedge hatched with foreign parents?

so basically, you need to IV Battle to determine the parents IVs, then another IV battle each child to see the spread?
That's not what he said at all.

In simpest terms, you need a parent with x/x/x/31/31/31 and another with 31/31/31/x/x/x then you will know which IVs are being inherited from each parent. There will always be a margin of error to account for the 1 randomly chosen IV but this method can get you a 4 (or 5 with luck) perfect IV mon in one egg if you have the parents with the desired perfect IVs to choose from.

Just confirmed this:
Gyarados Male 6-7/14/2-4/15/17/26
Gyarados Female 19-20/11/31/7/22/18
Magikarp (can't remember genre) 19-20/11/31/31/22/18
This meant Magikarp got all his IV's from his mother and a 31 random Spa IV.
So I tried with my 31/31/31/31/31/31 Female Larvesta and a random Ditto and I got,
Male Larvesta 31/31/31/x/31/31
So I guess that random Spa gets randomized every time you Soft Reset.

I think I got bugged from this somehow.

Male: 11 / 31 / 22 / 2 / 18 - 19 / 31
Female: 31 / 19 / 31 / 2 / 9 / 26
Baby: 8 - 19 / 18 - 19 / 14 - 17 / 0 - 3 / 8 - 19 / 31

So that would be M/F/R/?/?/M. However after resetting and changing the parents to, the baby from the new parents had 0 speed! Sure, that's weird...but it gets weirder...Now when I breed with this 0 speed baby with another 0 speed baby some of their offspring have 0 speed and other inherit 31 speed out of nowhere. The 31 speed babies can't just be luck; I'm getting about as many of them as I am of the 0 speed ones.

The speed doesn't matter for Grimer so it doesn't bother me, but can this be explained?

Is gender set in stone with this method?

What happens if the thing you're breeding has a different gender ratio than the test one?

My apologies, I made a mistake in my explanation. When you SR after receiving a baby 'mon without the desired IV spread, you then reject that egg that you had previously excepted, and then save again. This way you end up with a different seed than the previous one. If you again get a spread that you do not want, then you can SR, reject the egg, and then save once again, so that when and if you have to SR again, you can redo the process until you have the desired IV inheritance.

I think I got bugged from this somehow.

Male: 11 / 31 / 22 / 2 / 18 - 19 / 31
Female: 31 / 19 / 31 / 2 / 9 / 26
Baby: 8 - 19 / 18 - 19 / 14 - 17 / 0 - 3 / 8 - 19 / 31

So that would be M/F/R/?/?/M. However after resetting and changing the parents to, the baby from the new parents had 0 speed! Sure, that's weird...but it gets weirder...Now when I breed with this 0 speed baby with another 0 speed baby some of their offspring have 0 speed and other inherit 31 speed out of nowhere. The 31 speed babies can't just be luck; I'm getting about as many of them as I am of the 0 speed ones.

The speed doesn't matter for Grimer so it doesn't bother me, but can this be explained?
If I'm following you correctly, then it's normal. Pokemon that have four or more flawless IV's between the two will on occasion give birth to a baby 'mon with another flawless IV that seemingly appears out of nowhere.

From what I've read on page 3 of this thread they have to have the same gender ratio but you can swap out the female for a ditto
Can you swap the male? Also, if the gender ratio is different, does that affect only the gender, or the IVs as well?

I finally managed to get a perfect 6IV male smeargle. Took me 73400 steps using the standard method (counted with total XP gained on my females; I'm surprised that it came out to be a round number like that), then after that did the RNG for 16 Magikarps before finally getting it.

So apologies if this has been said before, but I wanted clarity.

SO, are the following steps correct ?

1: Put two parents in daycare
* A: 31/31/31/X/X/X | B: X/X/X/31/31/31
2: REJECT THE EGG.
3: Save the Game.
4: Recieve Egg.
5: Hatch it.
6: Check inheritance of MALE/FEMALE.
7: Switch A and B with C and D
* With the correct IVs for inherited IVs of M/F.
8: Recieve Egg
9: Hatch it
10: Confirm IVs.

Then, if I wanted a 5iv instead of flawless:

6: Check Wildcard IV (since, from my understanding it's set also?).
* If wildcard is the IV you don't care/want then:
7: Switch A and B with Hex M/F
8: Recieve Egg
9: Hatch it
10: Offspring should have 5ivs 31, 6th being wildcard undesired IV.

Example being: Desired offspring:

31/x/31/31/31/31 for a timid/special attacker.

Repeat steps until you generate a PID with X being the wildcard.

Switch parents with C and D which have flawless Ivs.

Offspring should have 31/x/31/31/31/31.

Am I right in my assumptions ?

My question is, will saving after each egg is refused reset the RNG? cause it would save some time for sure.

EDIT: NVM, I get it now.

Last edited:
Has anyone managed to confirm if this method works using Ditto and an ungendered parent, e.g. Rotom?

Has anyone managed to confirm if this method works using Ditto and an ungendered parent, e.g. Rotom?
I think someone said sometime earlier in the thread that Ditto would count as the male and the ungendered pokemon would count as the female parent, but don't quote me on that.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think someone said sometime earlier in the thread that Ditto would count as the male and the ungendered pokemon would count as the female parent, but don't quote me on that.
Other way around.

I've just gotten a fs riolu with 31 in hp, Atk and speed. With that method, I just need a ditto with 31 in def and SpD and I'll have my perfect lucario in no time, right?

My personal experience seems to suggest that changing the time on your 3DS' internal clock does not affect the seed; I still received the same Bagon from the Day Care after I turned my clock back an hour for the end of Daylight Saving Time.

So to further research....

I was trying to confirm this on my ditto and rotom (which went successfully) but I found something interesting...

I started out saving my game after denying the egg from a ditto (31/31/7/27/17/19) and a togetic (26/23-26/31/31/29/31).

I switched in rotom (?/20-22/31/31/31/31/) for togetic (ditto happened to be the IVs I was missing) and got a 0-9/20-22/7/27/31/31 rotom. (important part is that the Atk, SpD and Spe were inherited from rotom) So to test this, I let the togetic stay in and generated another egg. The results of the spread were nowhere even close to what was inherited with rotom as a parent.

In the name of science though, I repeated the first breeding (with the rotom switch) and sure enough, same spread as before.

So take of that as you will, but maybe it can help determine when the rerolls take place?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)