Son of EE sandstorm team (Mar. 22, 2009 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This sandstorm team is what my son is considering to use for standard wi-fi play. Normally tyranitar, bronzong & vaporeon would prefer leftovers while scizor & gliscor with life orb, but with item clause, this is my attempt to change them. Further suggestions anybody?

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/68 Spd/190 SAtk
Quiet nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Punch
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Lead pokemon to summon the storm and as a mixed sweeper to balance the team better. Also sets up substitute when expecting a switch.

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 32 HP/252 Atk/224 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- X-Scissor

One of the best Physical sweepers thanks to platinum now with bullet punch to get rid of the likes of gengar

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 40 HP/218 Spd/252 SAtk
Rash nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Flamethrower

switch into heatran when expecting a fire move on scizor then attack back with earth or fire. I probably should switch dragon pulse to hidden power Ice since it does not do 100% damage to kingdra.

Bronzong @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/152 Atk/8 Def/96 SDef
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Hypnosis
- Stealth Rock

Defensive wall mainly for support. If it werent for item clause, this would get the leftovers.

Vaporeon (M) @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP/252 Def/70 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Surf
- Protect
- Wish

bulky type used to offset the team's water weakness and to counter the likes of gyarados. If it weren't for item clause, this would get the leftovers item.

Gliscor (M) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP/70 Atk/188 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Since garchomp is no longer allowed in standard, gliscor has been a great substitute that can sweep once it sets up. If it weren't for item clause, this would get the life orb. Also had swapped stone edge over roost to handle the likes of gyarados.

I remember a really cool Lead Tyranitar someone ran that used Dark Pulse, Flamethrower, Superpower, Ice Beam, and the use of Focus Sash. The idea behind it was that if there was an Azelf lead, Dark Pulse would ohko. If they switched to Blissey, superpower would ohko, whilst scizor switchins would lose to flamethrower thanks to focus sash. I just don't see the old standard being as useful as a lead, in my opinion.

Also, I do not see Hypnosis being very reliable on Bronzong, due to the 60% accuracy. Light Screen or Reflect might be beneficial in the slot instead. If you do run a Screen, consider Explosion over Gyro Ball. You have Scizor and Tyranitar for Gengar anyways, and Explosion allows you to have a fresh set up for one of your pokemon to come in with a screen protecting them.

EDIT: I understand this is a WiFi team, but if at all possible, consider Hyper Cutter Gliscor. I understand that Sand Veil may be tempting, but the evasion in my opinion isn't significant enough, plus with Hyper Cutter, Gyarados or Salamence switch ins (as unlikely as mence may be), are still threatened by Stone Edge or Ice Fang.

Roost > Ice Fang on Gliscor. It gives you a little better chance of a sweep and allows you to set up on Scizor (Bullet Punch does around 40%) and Donphan (Ice Shard does about the same). Salamence will be KOed by Stone Edge anyway.

Hyper Cutter vs Sand Veil is a toss up. If you SD on the switch, +1 Stone Edge still OHKOs Gyarados and Mence, but it can decrease the chance of a sweep later against bulkier opponents.

Give Tyranitar a Focus Sash and give its Leftovers to either Gliscor, Vaporeon, or Bronzong. You could make Scizor a CBer if you want to free up a Life Orb for Gliscor, but I personally think it will benefit more from Leftovers or Yache (I run a similar Gliscor with Leftovers and it works excellent).

Last suggestion that I would make is to use 252 HP/40 Atk/216 Speed on Gliscor. This gives you the bonus point and allows you to outspeed all Lucario (you might anyway, but eh, it's the standard).

If you want LO on Gliscor, and there is Item Clause where you play, try E-Belt on Scizor, giving it a little extra kick on SE moves.

what did you expect haha

okay so first of all that set with dark pulse/flamethrower/superpower/ice beam @focus sash should be used. it's sort of outdated now that metagross and heatran are popular now, but it can still work. lefties can be moved to vaporeon.

bronzong...I would consider running explosion over hypnosis or maybe earthquake. explosion is a great move.

and everything else is fine though you should test roost over ice fang

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
3. Have some actual words in your post beyond your six Pokemon and their moves. Not following this makes your post quite boring to read and rate. All Pokemon should have a good reason for being in your team anyway, so why not post that reason? If you're having trouble with this one, start by giving an explanation for each team member. Why are they there? What role do they serve? How do you get them in? Then, give an explanation of how you would open with the team and how you would go about using it. All of these things help people rate your team and allow us to offer more helpful advice.

Since you can unlock your own thread, please do so after you make the thread comply with the forum rules. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)