Spelling and Grammar Standards

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So, can you use "Scarfed" to describe to a Pokemon with a Choice Scarf? And "non-Scarfed" for variants that don't have one? It also works for Banded, but I'm not sure how I feel about Specsed or something like that.

Although, I should say that when I was just getting into competitive stuff, I had no idea what it meant for a Pokemon to be "scarfed" or "banded," so if we want clarity for noobs...?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask.
'Scarfed' is the past tense of 'scarf', as in 'he scarfed down that food'. It doesn't have a thing to do with pokemon and most of the time here it's competely incorrect. Use 'Choice Scarf Pokemon' instead :)

tehy

Banned deucer.
Scarfed is something you'll see in casual conversation on IRC or PS / PO or w/e, not something that gets used in analyses because it sounds really bad and is very informal

Edit:

idk what you're driving at, i think 'non-choice Scarf' is the norm and thus expected;if you want to put, say "Choice Scarf Haxorus, as well as Dragonite and Salamence" with nite and mence not being scarfers, just put Haxorus at the end instead.

other than that, i guess i don't see where you'd write non-Choice Scarf, but w/e. (Kinda long though, and i don't understand where you would write it)

Last edited:
on that note...If you say "Choice Scarf Pokemon," do you also say "non-Choice Scarf Pokemon," or just "Pokemon that doesn't have/isn't holding a Choice Scarf"...?

Oooh, when using a move as a verb, you should capitalize it, right? eg. Taunting or Tricking. But what about Knocking Off? Does the same idea apply, or does it look weird? (Knock Offing is absolutely hilarious, though.)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
using Knock Off, losing its item, getting hit by Knock Off

avoid the awkwardness with that one please, no Knocking Off

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
For clarification, the in-game spelling (which I went with) capitalises (Blade) Forme, while prior Aegislash analyses (apparently) lowercased it and the standards are silent. Obviously it would make sense to follow in-game, but as long as we're lowercasing Ability, capitalising the noun substitute, and writing Lightning Rod as a single word we're not following it all the time, so idk.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Until the standards are actually updated to either reflect or debunk in-game spelling, go with what's most common. In this case it should be lowercase (Blade) forme.

I'm of the opinion that it should be capitalized, but for the sake of consistency.

tehy

Banned deucer.
it's possible to just short-circuit the problem entirely by writing Aegislash-Blade or Aegislash-Shield

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
  • With the length of allowable names increased, the spelling of several names have been changed. These include Never-Melt Ice, Soft-Boiled, High Jump Kick, Thunder Punch, Feint Attack, Bubble Beam, Sand Attack (but NOT Double-Edge and Mud-Slap), Compound Eyes, Bright Powder, Extreme Speed, Poison Powder, Smokescreen, Double Slap, Twisted Spoon, Black Glasses, Solar Beam, Thunder Shock, Paralyze Heal, Thunder Stone, and Dragon Breath. As a general rule, anything that was capitalized mid-word in pre vious generations is now two separate words.
  • However, going against the aforementioned rule, the ability Lightningrod is still spelled as one word on Smogon. This is due to a bug with the SCMS.
Added bottom sentence. I've been changing it to two words for some time now; I thought that was the correct way for us to do it. Is the reasoning for that correct? That's what I've heard.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
^ yeah, when I asked hollywood about it a couple months ago he said it was because of a mistake in the SCMS. I'm not sure why it hasn't been fixed yet ?__?

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can't we just leave it as one word in the actual sets until this gets changed, so as not to cause integrity errors, while changing to two words in the writeups? That's how I've always done things.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Here's a question that has been bugging me; should we capitalize speed(Speed?) in all instances? If i wrote in a normal context " his speed is extraordinary " it's fine, but if i wrote "Ninjask's speed is extraordinary" is that wrong? If so, why?

I have more to add but i gotta go and i'd like to see people's responses

you're referring to the Speed stat itself so ya it should be capitalized unless it's speed control which has its reasoning somewhere else i'm not sure

but yeah if you're referring to the Speed stat (can't really reference anything else aside from like flavor i guess? lol), always capitalize. in that case, it should definitely be capitalized.

tehy

Banned deucer.
I missed the memo on speed control then

But look at the above sentence; when i say 'bob's speed is shocking' i'm clearly not referring to his Speed stat. And yet, i am when talking about a mon?

There's a fair argument that the trait Speed, which i am referring to, stems directly from the Speed stat, and a fair argument that the two are so close together that w/e, but still

That's because every time we use 'speed' we're basically referencing how fast Bob is. How "fast" a mon is we gauge by its Speed stat especially since it isn't a real life scenario we're dealing with, plus we're looking at stuff from a competitive standpoint so I feel that pretty much every 'Speed' used will refer to the Speed stat.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Yeah, like i said up there, that's a solid and very make-able argument. What i'm asking for though is an official ruling; do we

Always Speed regardless of how the author wants to use it
Ask the author and adjust according to reply / inform the author and leave it up to them
Checker's discretion

?

Because there is also a case for 'the author is trying to say something so let them'

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
if you're saying a mon is just fast like "Jolteon possesses a lot of speed and power" you don't need to capitalize Speed since the actual Speed stat is ambiguous in this instance (you could be talking like Modest Speed, not max Speed, Timid Speed, Choice Scarf Speed, Agility Speed, but regardless Jolteon has a lot of speed)

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
"Spikes is" or "Spikes are"?

EDIT: I'm referring to the move itself. Thanks tehy

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
the first always and forever

unless 'SS Carracosta' happens to be a set name and even then it's quite questionable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)