SPL X - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a mock today however the spreadsheet wasn't updated so no spanish gang :blobpensive:

Alpha Ruiners

SM OU: Empo
SM OU: Lopunny Kicks
SM DOU: Miltankmilk
SM UU: Sage
SM RU: EviGaro
SM NU: LAX
ORAS OU: Hiye
BW OU: Finchinator
DPP OU: Void
ADV OU: Eden's Embrace
GSC OU: Mr. 378
RBY OU: Metalgro$$

Subs: DKM, Byronthewellwell

Circus Maximus Tigers

SM: Eternal Spirit
SM: Charmflash
UU: aim
RU: KW
NU: HANTSUKI
DOU: SMB
ORAS: 1 True Lycan
BW: Luigi
DPP: Tamahome
ADV: Kevin Garrett
GSC: k3nan
RBY: The Idiot Ninja

Subs: CTC , BHARATH_THEBEST , UltraBallz

Cryonicles

SM OU - Tricking
SM OU - blarghlfarghl
SM UU - ict
SM RU - Eternally
SM NU - Osh
SM DOU - emforbes
ORAS OU - Marshall.law
BW OU - Posho
DPP OU - ToF
ADV OU - Triangles
GSC OU - Conflict
RBY OU - Sceptross

Subs: FMG, Kink, Always!

Dragonspiral Tyrants

SM OU: Sacri'
SM OU: Cdumas
SM UU: robjr
SM RU: MrAldo
SM NU: Garay oak
SM DOU: Croven
ORAS OU: TDK
BW OU: Genesis7
DPP OU: John W
ADV OU: pasy_g
GSC OU: Century Express
RBY OU: Tobes

Subs: Talah, Hayburner

Ever Grande BIGS

SM OU: ABR
SM OU: RedEmption
SM UU: Adaam
SM RU: Kushalos
SM NU: Hootie
SM DOU: Lunar
ORAS OU: xray
BW OU: Energy
DPP OU: fatty
ADV OU: Lavos
GSC OU: giara
RBY OU: Texas Cloverleaf

subs: High Impulse, Gilbert Arenas

Indie Scooters

SM OU: bro fist
SM OU: suapah
SM UU: shiba
SM RU: lycans
SM NU: jcbc
SM DOU: ezrael
ORAS OU: badummy
BW OU: leru
DPP OU: jimmy turtwig
ADV OU: cowboy dan
GSC OU: fear
RBY OU: heroic troller

Substitutes: accelgor, the kyle

Stark Sharks

SM OU: Mana
SM OU: obii
SM UU: edi0n
SM RU: Nat
SM NU: Teddeh
SM DOU: MajorBowman
ORAS OU: blunder
BW OU: We Three Kings
DPP OU: Cased
ADV OU: hellpowna
GSC OU: Aeroblacktyl
RBY OU: NailsVGC

Subs: Ricardo, Will of Fire

Team Raiders

SM OU: Ojama
SM OU: Leru
SM UU: Pak
SM RU: Arifeen
SM NU: Kiyo
SM DOU: AuraRayquaza
ORAS OU: Znain
BW OU: SoulWind
DPP: rocoe
ADV: JabbaTheGriffin
GSC: d0nut
RBY: Bedschibaer

Subs: Bro Kappa, Sabella, Simia, oibaf

Wi-Fi Wolfpack

SM OU: FLCL
SM OU: Insult
SM UU: Pearl
SM RU: Welli0u
SM NU: elodin
SM DOU: Biosci
ORAS: Destiny Device
BW: Zorodark
DPP: soulgazer
ADV: dekzeh
GSC: sulcata
RBY: Alexander.

Subs: The Hallows, talkingtree, bebo7788, rodriblutar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABR 40000
blunder 37000
bro fist 34500
Ojama 31500
SoulWind 29000
TDK 28000
Cdumas 26000
FLCL 25000
Lavos 25000
Jimmy Turtwig24000
Finchinator23000
Pearl21500
Tricking21500
dice20000
Pohjis20000
Fear19000
Kickasser 17500
Tamahome17000
aim 16000
Posho 16000
robjr 16000
Void 15500
Jirachee 15500
Conflict 15000
The Idiot Ninja 15000
We Three Kings 14500
Sacri' 14000
KW 14000
Eternally 14000
Nat 13000
MajorBowman 13000
Lycans 13000
Alexander. 12500
emforbes 12000
SMB 12000
Valentine 11500
MetalGro$$ 11500
HarrisIsAwesome 11500
Mana 11500
Sage 11500
Marshall.Law 11000
eden's embrace10500
Lopunny Kicks 10500
Century Express10000
k3nan 10000
soulgazer (team cancer except with abr) 10000
Welli0u 10000
Biosci 10000
ToF 9500
Bedschibaer 9500
Cased 9500
Cowboy Dan 9000
Energy 9000
Kevin Garrett 9000
ZoroDark 8500
Ezrael 8500
Triangles 8500
Talah 8500
pasy_g 8000
Rodriblutar 7500
dekzeh 7500
miltankmilk 7000
suapah 70001
True Lycan 7000

alright sorry i'm tired, do ctrl+f ~_~

Sabella6500Arifeen6500
MrAldo6000obii6000Tobes6000Mr.3786000EviGaro6000Bro Kappa5500Garay oak5500Sceptross5500Hootie5500Osh5500Gilbert arenas5000ict5000Simia5000Shiba5000RedEmption5000sulcata5000elodin5000BHARATH_THEBEST5000HANTSUKI5000FMG5000Aeroblacktyl5000d0nut5000Will of Fire5000giara5000Oibaf5000Sjneider4500Texas Cloverleaf4500fatty4500Nails4500Insult4500CTC4000blarghlfarghl4000Luigi4000Heroic Troller4000Destiny Device4000UltraBallz4000Lunar.4000Ricardo3500LL3500Leru3500Znain3000JabbaTheGriffin3000AuraRayquaza3000Santu3000TaceBreeze3000rozes3000Ske3000bebo77883000The Hallows3000talkingtree3000High Impulse3000hellpowna3000edi0n3000Kiyo3000Jytcampbell3000The Kyle3000Kink3000Always!3000jcbc3000Accelgor3000baddummy3000Hayburner3000Genesis73000John W3000Croven3000Charmflash3000Adaam3000DKM3000byronthewellwell3000

Nat

is a Top Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
After more than one manager has privately shown concern over 'who the hell plays ru on this website', I think it'd be neat/helpful to outline my thoughts on potential pickups, especially given how uncertain so much of the field is. I'm just going to use hidetags, so the uncaring aren't largely burdened.

This is one of two listed below I think are pretty guaranteed to be in, though I didn't want some epic drama from not including her or anything. She missed out on snake though has had a strong showing in the recent ru circuit playoffs vs great opponents like eternally & kw. One of the more lucrative assets of having evi as your ru slot is that she has some of the more left-field and wide-ranging builds in the ru community, and likely won't be incredibly susceptible to counterteaming. She doesn't seem to have much trouble throwing together ideas and successfully rolling with it, which is helpful in that she probably won't need a ton of support. If there were any negative I'd attach to this buy, it'd be that she hasn't done much outside of this circuit playoff run and finishing third in the first seasonal of the year. This would be a completely new setting for her, and it's always an uncertainty how people new to heightened stages will perform. That aside, I think she's a pretty safe buy that could go for like 6-8k.

Arifeen is the other listed pick here that I feel is guaranteed. He doesn't exactly have the recent success that evigaro has had, though he does have a noticeable amount of experience at this level. In SPL9 he secured two impressive wins vs shake & chillshadow, which was especially necessary for him given his abysmal game vs eternal spirit much earlier in the season. He hasn't done a ton since then in terms of RU. The rarely used ladder tournament probably was his best showing since then, with wins vs myself and roman. That being said, very early seasonal exits and probably the worst showing of anyone in the RU circuit playoffs doesn't help much. The latter of which is especially concerning, considering it's an extremely recent result. As negative as this paragraph seems, I think feen is a very formidable foe when he plays well & correctly ascertains risk vs reward. At his best, feen is an aggressive opponent who typically prevails vs more cautious players. At his worst, his plays overstep the boundaries of reason and you'll find yourself wondering why you spent that 5k in the first place.

I'm looping these two together as I think they're in similar situations. Both are players who definitely have shown flashes of great play in RU at some point or another. yjh found success in POWC, and Yoppie's only game of RU this year featured incredible prep on his end vs 49. While I'd be the first to admit my ignorance as to the exact capabilities of each player, Yoppie definitely struck me as a more noteworthy builder than yjh. That being said, both of them exhibited unique and thoughtful builds throughout the year, and I'd be excited to see what they come up with in the very different meta that awaits us. Oddly enough, I could even see them on the same team, with maybe yjh playing and yoppie building. They'd (I imagine) have a great chemistry and that could easily equal success. I think it's probably a guarantee one or both of them gets bought, though I'm unsure if that'd be principally for ru.

Zeb to me is someone who any team would love to have. He has a great personality and is a veteran of the game, both traits any team would appreciate. Going off of his RBY adventures in SPL8, his noteworthy success in LC, and whatever else I'm too new to know about, I'd venture to say he's capable of jumping into the new meta and grabbing some wins in the right environment. The only obvious concern is that he isn't exactly integrated into the meta, with no real ru performances in recent times, and would maybe(?) require a builder. That being said, he's definitely shown an interest in the tier to me in the latter half of this year, so maybe he has more up his sleeve than I realize. If it happens, I'm rooting for you friend.

Roman is a pretty interesting character to me. He for sure has shown, to me, evidence that he can play this tier at a decent level. Calling back to my ru snake post-draft post, I listed him as the person who probably should have been in but wasn't, and I largely stand by that. He's eager to build, and has come up with some relatively cool combos. That being said, I don't think he's very innovative, and in my opinion his general builds overlap and blend to an extent some might find unbecoming. As far as his level of play goes, I think he's 'fine' there too. He always showed a willingness not to simply make the safe play. One concern that stuck out in my mind was the lack of confidence he occasionally showed in game, especially via game chat. This was most memorably on display vs flamingvictini in the first seasonal of the year. This could be a turnoff for some managers, though that was awhile ago and things easily could have changed. Truthfully, putting him in RU this spl would undoubtedly pick up some wins, though I think it's unlikely he'd excel even to a moderate extent.

Meru is an oddball, though I think it's fair to consider him as a potential ru starter. He has had the most success (i believe?) of anyone in RU on this list. Obviously, this was years ago, though it isn't far-fetched to assume he still can muster up a winning season. If I recall, his last RU performance was an average 3-3 showing. This, however, was way back in snake 1, and he hasn't played on this level since then. It's especially unclear to me if he'll have enough drive and ambition to care about the entirety of the lengthy spl season. If anything concerned managers, I imagine this would be high up on the list. That being said, he stringed together an impressive 7-4 record on the road to his spl trophy, some years ago. I could see some managers taking their chances with the proven but risky wildcard, instead of attempting to dig up new talent from the sea of fresh faces this ru field will inevitably sport.

aim obviously will be picked, likely in the 15-20k range I imagine. He's signed up for ru and uu, though he has definitely shown far greater interest in uu as a tier throughout the year. While it'd be smart to put him in the usum tier he (i think) enjoys the most, he may very well end up playing ru. I think this could happen because the ru field is clearly less obvious [read: everyone quits or manages], with far less guaranteed picks than uu. Managers could very reasonably feel like just placing a very competent player in ru instead of testing the waters of new fish. I think it'd be a good call. I've tested with aim in snake/spl since we coincidentally teamed for both, and he definitely left the impression on me that he can jump in and out whenever and answer the call for wins. If anything holds him back, similar to some names listed above, he undoubtedly would want building help. This might be less of a burden for him though, given his popularity and reach within this community.

This probably will come across as pretty negative, though I just don't feel like he's ready for this stage yet. He splashed into the spotlight by qualifying for grand slam playoffs out of nowhere, though proceeded to get eliminated in r1. Obviously, qualifying in itself is an impressive feat, and he did almost reach the end of ru open. He qualified for rlt with relative ease, though was quickly disqualified for boosting people on the ladder (lol). Reaching slam playoffs and his ru open run undoubtedly would be what managers find most enticing if they were to consider Luthier as a potential starter candidate. If anything negative stuck out, it'd be the reputation he gained for constantly asking people for teams in a multitude of tiers. Though if memory serves, he did build his playoff ru team alone. Anyway, it'd be surprising to see him picked imo, though I don't think it's impossible and I'm sure he'd try as hard as anyone to succeed if picked.

I was putting off writing this one, as I don't really know him too well. He clearly has many people who support him, and qualified for slam playoffs similar to Luthier. He most notably reached the RU Open finals, though I can't help but feel as if he fell short in his r1 circuit games vs evigaro. Not a ton to say about this guy. I think he'll get a chance, personally. He wouldn't be the most expensive, and would be hyped for the chance to shine I'm sure. If he really really puts in the effort, I could see it resulting in a barely positive/neutral season. He seems like a nice kid, so it'd be heartbreaking to see him fall on his face in his first tour, similar to the yours truly.

I keep seeing eifo get picked in mocks, so I think it's fair to cover him. As much as I enjoy his company now compared to earlier in the year, I don't think he is a pick most managers should chase this tour. He has never had a really noteworthy showing in ru (to my knowledge???), exiting early in various tournaments throughout the year. On top of this, he walked away for some time, and at least to my knowledge is only freshly back for a few months if that. I just think there are more proven or promising new picks available. I don't want to spend eons beating down on names here, so I'll close by saying I hope he proves me wrong if picked!

I think my good friend the duckman would definitely do fine in ru, even if he's obviously an established nu main. Coming off of a very impressive 8-2 performance in snake, it may be hard to visualize him voluntarily switching over to ru. But that really isn't the case, as he's played ru at a competitive level pretty steadily for awhile now imo. He reached top 4 of circuit playoffs, and he also placed 4th in the most recent seasonal. Similarly to roman, he can definitely build thoughtfully, though struggles from over-relying on certain mons too much imo. If he does ru I'd expect a relatively good season, though that might not be enough for some managers to consider him for ru over his hometier. He'll probably need you to tell him not to use mantine every game, but otherwise I think is a perfectly acceptable and viable pickup.

Again, this isn't someone I have an incredibly personal relationship with, similar to bebo. He was picked too early in the eyes of some during snake, though went 2-1 with his only loss being to a great player in Ajna, to a speedtie no less. I could imagine he'd be underrated again if he's in ru this spl, though he very well could again surprise the doubters. I'd (and I'll probably regret this) go on record and say I don't think he'd have an incredible season, though his only recent showing he proved more than capable of winning. I guess if any doubt was present, it'd be that his two opponents he beat (diogo and dodmen) both had lackluster showings in ru, and might not really be a good indicator of future success.

As stunning as it may seem to some, Durza probably has a chance to be RUing this spl. He has shown a constant desire to compete in the tier, and this could easily be the opportunity he needs to blossom out of the retches of his past. He has built some competent teams as far as I can tell from ruwc, teams that have translated into wins. He hasn't really had any incredible showings, his best being 9-12th in the first seasonal of the year. This to me is the largest reason Durza wouldn't get picked, though his demeanor and past may be justified turn offs for a variety of managers. I think he has an unlikely shot though, if the right manager views him as a worthy 3k gamble, looks past his past, and views him as a changed, matured, viable asset to a team.

French player Pepeduce is definitely someone I feel could step up to the challenge of spl. He's been playing ru for a few years at least, and qualified for the circuit playoffs last year. He narrowly avoided qualifying this time around, and placed top 6 in the most recent seasonal. In an ordinary field he probably wouldn't get a glance. However, I think it could be a possibility given how inexperienced this ru field is shaping up to be. He's probably the most unrecognized name on this list, though has quietly topped the ladder on multiple alts many times, even though that doesn't mean a ton. He has some cool unique builds, though sometimes goes a little far imo. I can't imagine he'd be on many teams radar, but I think he is probably more deserving of a shot than some of the people who are lol.

Aldo is beloved by the ru community, seen as someone pleasant with a penchant for good building. He had his opportunity to shine in snake, and posted a mediocre 3-4. Most of his losses were close games, too. He had some interesting teams throughout the tour, and definitely showed off an appropriate amount of variety. On top of his own performance, he assisted sam with two cool teams at the end of the season. I was particularly fond of the finals team, and thought it was one of the better builds of the last few months, especially given how it positively utilized underrated mons like lycanroc and goodra. While he isn't exactly given the same level of praise as 49/rabbit building-wise, it's imo his strong suit and something most teams would appreciate. Overall, he's an underrated builder who can hold his own in game, with a positive attitude to boot. I'd be shocked to see him not bought, at least as a sub.

I'm getting pretty tired of writing so I'm thinking this will be my last one. Rob is in a pretty tough spot, as he unfortunately had to sit on the backburner in his first tournament while kw snatched all of the glory. He had one outing at the end vs sam, though lost using a team I think was definitely one of the best around when it was made quite some months ago. I'm unaware of the extent to which he helped kw in snake, though that could be a plus for some teams if it was a considerable amount. Easily his most noteworthy achievement of the year was winning SM RU Cup. He reached the circuit playoffs though lost in r1. To me it's up in the air if he grabs a spot or not, but I think it could pan out well if he cares enough to relearn the new meta.

Apologies to anyone I didn't write about, as there's a lot of ru signups. I purposefully avoided covering most cases of 'general competent tournaments player who could get shoved into ru' as it's largely impossible to predict those+write meaningful dialogue in reference to them. I'd have included feli if he didnt delete his signup rip. Anyway, thanks for reading this if you did, and hopefully it helps at least one manager out there.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Sorry guys and gals, I've already won SPL X. Very useful for drinking the tears of the losers!

Will there be a bigger version out of thicker paper, that will get sent to each of the winning managers for them to assemble? Maybe™
I'm a poor student, all the winners can't have a big one. The rest will get this variant to print themselves.

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
Hi no drama or anything since i love Nat but i disagree with the eifo thing.
I was his manager in rupl and i can say with confidence that he produced some of the best teams we came up with, and has been keeping up with the metagame too. Cant speak well about his playing ability because i dont really see him play but, and snake demonstrates this clearly, getting a 3k support slot for ru can go a really long way and all that.
Peace :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)