SPL XII - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
The Smogon Premier League XII Power Rankings are out; be sure to check them out here!

I want to extend a special thank you to the following people for helping with analysis, descriptions, art, grammar prose, HTML, and plenty more: Eo Ut Mortus, Estronic, Finland, PDC, Quite Quiet, Rabia, The Dutch Plumberjack, Tony Flygon, Zracknel, lotiasite, and rozes -- who ran this article with me! It takes large amounts of seemingly thankless work in a short period of time to make articles like this possible and I could not have had a more determined group of people to help along the way. I also owe an apology to Zracknel for some last second heroics due to an oversight on my end -- you are the man!

Finally, I would like to wish everyone a fun season and note that Urshifu is now banned from SS OU, which will be effective for the tournament. Now I can finally sleep :blobuwu:

I was curious to see what tiers managers were willing to pay the most for and thought I might as well post the results if any one cares. This was based on who the starters were in the PR.

Average Prices
RBY: 7900 GSC: 16300 ADV: 15250 DPP: 6950 BW2: 13300 ORAS: 8850 SM: 11000 SS: 13333

Most Expensive Player
RBY: 17000 GSC: 36000 ADV: 34000 DPP: 14500 BW2: 26000 ORAS: 16500 SM: 25000 SS: 25500

Hopefully I didn't screw anything up. RBY and (sadly) DPP seemed to be the tiers which managers valued the least while GSC and ADV were the priciest tiers.

Some guys are asking: how I got 2 crits in a row?
Well, here is how:

+starry: new smogtours rule from 2021 onward: the opposite of whatever posho says is true
+SweetPosho: never would ive thought
+talah☭: it was the play
+SweetPosho: id see the day
+Xevara † left
+talah☭: cuz exca set
+SweetPosho: when a scarf scizor sweeps
+THE PDC SHOW joined; +Pais left
+SweetPosho: but here i am

And then the disaster happened...

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Returning for another year are the team avatars, all made possible thanks to Zarel once again and created by myself, rozes, and a few others who I don't know exactly.

trainers & logos.png

The avatars should be available for use on both main PS and the Smogtours server. If you were submitted on your team's roster you just log on to the account submitted, usually the one you're voiced on the Smogtours server, and use the command /avatar splxii[teamname], with the full command list as follows:
/avatar splxiibigs
/avatar splxiiclassiest
/avatar splxiicryonicles
/avatar splxiiraiders
/avatar splxiiruiners
/avatar splxiiscooters
/avatar splxiisharks
/avatar splxiitigers
/avatar splxiityrants
/avatar splxiiwolfpack

Also here's each of the avatars separated in their original size:

Enjoy!

arent all replays put into the replay thread
At the end of the week they are, but if you try to watch the game that happened yesterday already, you wont find it (not criticizing the pace of the replay thread admin here btw, I absolutely love the work theyre putting into it) . And you also cant look up their username on replays because almost everyone uses some alt nowadays. Its obviously not that big of a deal to wait until the end of the week, but I assume Im not the only one who would enjoy watching the games in the right order, game by game

Wigglytuff

mad @ redacted in redacted
is a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
At the end of the week they are, but if you try to watch the game that happened yesterday already, you wont find it (not criticizing the pace of the replay thread admin here btw, I absolutely love the work theyre putting into it) . And you also cant look up their username on replays because almost everyone uses some alt nowadays. Its obviously not that big of a deal to wait until the end of the week, but I assume Im not the only one who would enjoy watching the games in the right order, game by game
Every game ends up getting linked in the #spl channel of Smogtours Discord so if you search by links, you should be able to find the battle link, and none of the battles should be hidden. If usernames aren't clear, usually someone will ask who's who so you can figure that out from there.

edit: it also helps if players use the sick avatars (shoutouts kala rozes and other unspecified people) :3

That's obviously not an ideal way of finding replays so I'll try keep things as up to date as possible from here on out, though once I get back to school and working that gets kinda tuff. Apologies for the inconvenience, if it gets too slow, we might recruit people to help out.

Every game ends up getting linked in the #spl channel of Smogtours Discord so if you search by links, you should be able to find the battle link, and none of the battles should be hidden. If usernames aren't clear, usually someone will ask who's who so you can figure that out from there.

edit: it also helps if players use the sick avatars (shoutouts kala rozes and other unspecified people) :3

That's obviously not an ideal way of finding replays so I'll try keep things as up to date as possible from here on out, though once I get back to school and working that gets kinda tuff. Apologies for the inconvenience, if it gets too slow, we might recruit people to help out.
We appreciate the hard work you do in keeping the replay dump updated, but hear me out here. What if we just, you know, make replays mandatory?

Wigglytuff

mad @ redacted in redacted
is a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
We appreciate the hard work you do in keeping the replay dump updated, but hear me out here. What if we just, you know, make replays mandatory?
if you can convince a bunch of boomers that played in an era where replays didnt exist to post replays in their posts, i'll give you a cookie

edit: The poster above and the poster below, along with plenty of other people, apparently think nobody's tried to do anything about the situation so I want to clarify.

Perry's already asked all managers to get their players to post replays, when I edit replays into posts I leave a nasty message to the poster threatening to edit xmen fanfiction into their post if they don't post replays. It's not for lack of doing anything that replays aren't getting posted. It's also been suggested that we don't count games until a replay is posted...and if we do that we have people complaining that the threads aren't up to date.

I think most people (especially those playing in SPL) would rather have up to date threads if that means very occasionally they have to wait to view a replay, and we will try to make sure that delay is as short as we can make it. Again, apologies for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
if you can convince a bunch of boomers that played in an era where replays didnt exist to post replays in their posts, i'll give you a cookie
Doable tho, just make sure it's a rule and not something people can bypass. It's already happening in some circuit tournaments (Majors for instance) so why not in biggest tournaments. Just need to write that without replays, games will not be accounted and I can ensure you that either the player himself/herself of one of his/her mates/managers will post it before the end of the week. This can also ease your job to gather all the replays of one week since they'll all be on the weekly thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)