Project SS DOU Teambuilding Competition v.2 - Week 15: Diancie (Voting Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxigen

get numb to it
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations to Hrishioo7 for winning this week's edition of the teambuilding competition project, onto week 11 we go!

:ss/genesect:

Genesect is best known for its Choice Scarf set, being a very good and useful pivot able to check a lot of common Pokemon such as Rillaboom, Kartana, Zygarde and Diancie, but recently the Life Orb Shift Gear set has been rising in usage. This set is able to break through a lot of unprepared teams, and can easily sweep once its checks are weaken/KO'ed. Download takes this set one step further, with the possibility of boosting the Attack to +2 as well as the Speed in one turn.

The deadline for the building phase is on 08/06 at 11:59 PM. EST

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
:genesect: :zeraora: :rillaboom: :zygarde: :latias: :zapdos-galar:
Genesect @ Life Orb
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Leech Life
- Shift Gear
- Protect

Zeraora @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
Adamant Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Coaching

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 96 Atk / 40 Def / 116 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Zygarde @ Soft Sand
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Protect

Latias (F) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere
- Tailwind

Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Blaze Kick
- U-turn
I built this after seeing Z Strats use Shift Gear Genesect + Coaching Zeraora and wanted to try it myself. I didn't want to drop any of Zeraora's moves for Fake Out, so I added Rillaboom to provide that and a check to Zygarde, which isn't handled by Genesect since it's lacking Ice Beam. That core of three folds hard to Heatran, so a Zygarde of my own made sense next; DD Zyg also already had great support in Fake Out, Grassy Terrain, Taunt, and Coaching. In the last two slots, I needed additional Heatran checks, answers to Kartana, and speed control. Enter Aura Sphere Latias. It does the same things as Mystical Fire, still OHKOing Kartana thanks to the Expert Belt, but also 2HKOes Heatran so that the matchup becomes less of a stalemate. I thought it would make up for lacking Draco in the Kyu-B matchup as well, but in practice it's either Chople or AV and Aura Sphere does practically nothing. Additionally, dropping Mystical Fire makes Latias unable to take down opposing Genesect, which was looking pretty scary at this point. So, I added Scarf Zapdos-G with Blaze Kick to outrun + OHKO it. Zapdos-G also deals serious damage to Porygon2 and Kyurem-B, both of which were pretty rough matchups otherwise. Sadly, this doesn't give the team any switchins to Genesect, but Genesect just pivots out most of the time anyway so I decided to live with that.

Toxic Volcanion with Wacan Berry is another option I considered in the last slot -- it offers that Genesect switchin that's otherwise not available to the team. Toxic is the last-ditch effort to fix the Porygon2 problem, but it's not really enough of an answer to be honest. Additionally, that leaves the team with Genesect as the only real Kyurem-B answer and that's pretty shaky.

Noelle

Trying my best
is a Community Contributor
I can't think of a funny intro for this one
:incineroar: :zapdos: :tapu fini: :rillaboom: :genesect: :zygarde:
Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/321bc7d1dce43050

I've already posted this in the team bazaar and the discord. This team isn't a secret at this point, but this is my go-to ladder team and probably my favorite team i've ever built.

:incineroar: scawy fire cat go brrrrrr. ok but seriously, incin is here for fake out and because intimidate is broken. It allows fini to actually beat rillaboom after a few intimidates, and can give it some free turns to set up as well. Flare Blitz can oneshot amoonguss from full and 2hko kyurem, and incin naturally underspeeds min speed indeedee and oneshots with knock off, and is a dark type so we have a psyspam and tr matchup in one.

:Zapdos: Zapdos is here because i needed an urshifu + kart check, which apparently doesn't exist according to the urshifu suspect thread, but zapdos has been doing ok so i'm just gonna use it anyway. evd to oneshot genesect (and kart,which dies to ember) with heat wave and outspeed and oneshot urshifu with volt switch, the leftovers went to hp. tailwind is usually something i use defensively to gain momentum and force out defensive options like taunt or opposing tailwind, and protect over roost because fake out exists

:Tapu Fini: The star of the show. The set is literally just the sample, so read that because the smogon sample explains the evs much better than i can

:Rillaboom: Rillaboom is here for double fake out and grassy terrain (i'll go over why that's important in a sec) and it also beats rain in combination with fini, zapdos and genesect. it's literally just the sample but i have wood hammer to ohko opposing fini (GRASSY GLIDE DOESN'T FUCKING KILL, STOP HITTING FINI WITH GRASSY GLIDE, IT DOESN'T WORK)

:Genesect: Genesect is kinda just here for coverage. Genesect zygarde is a solid lead against most things. Tbolt over flamethrower because bolt beam is better than fire + ice, especially on a team like this where you have 2 other pokemon with fire coverage, one of which oneshots every grass type in the game

:Zygarde: snek stronk..... snek very stronk.... Zygarde was originally just here for ground coverage, but there's a very interesting mechanic that zygarde has: thousand waves. I'll also go over this later because arbitrary reasons. outside of twaves, zygarde is just very strong. tarrows and waves because duh, superpower to beat kyu b (though you probably want to have one of your fake out users on the field while you do this. losing your second most important member to a speed tie is not pog) and espeed because toxic and glare don't fit this team because fini

Cool Tricks:

Omae wa mo shindaeu: Twaves prevents all foes hit by it from switching until zygarde itself switches. so what you can do if you can trap threats to fini, swap fini out, get in genesect or zapdos and just kill them (do note that rillaboom can u turn so you have to kill it before that can happen, and that flying types are immune to this move, so don't go locking yourself into this move all the time)

Oh, remember that damage you just did? Me neither: leftovers + grassy terrain heals 12% every turn. That's a lotta healing for just existing. In a pinch you can have fini take a grassy glide, and stall for leftovers + terrain recovery until your out of range again (for reference, that range is above 80%)

Weaknesses;

Kyurem Black: Honestly fuck this pokemon. What isn't weak to kyurem? It hits literally everything in the game for at least neutral damage and has downright broken stats. I know it has checks (i firmly believe that a hard counter to kyurem doesn't exist, i'll die on this hill, fuck this pokemon) but it's still extremely restricting to play around and i wouldn't be suprised if it gets suspected soon (i know it won't because apparently a 700 bst with perfect coverage, a good speed tier, a massive attack stat and great natural bulk along with the best offensive stab typing in the game is fine, but i can dream) tbh i don't count being weak to a literal fucking box art legend that's still dou for 3 gens later for some reason as a major flaw, but i thought i would mention it anyway because it's pretty much the only thing i consistently struggle to beat with this team. Sorry for the rant, i just fucking hate this thing with every fiber of my being.

Apparently example replays are supposed to be a thing, so here are some replays with this team (i have a lot, i've been using it for a while, like i said, it's no secret at this point):

NotlPrimRose vs SabbathVGC: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1365166328-7p0wshfkd5aismnm01vivge7ubi0sfqpw

NotlPrimRose vs A㋛Quails㋛Query: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1369479145

NotlPrimRose vs CommanderBeta (i played turn 1 like shit but we don't talk about that): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1366834712

NotlPrimRose vs RelicanthPrimal: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1378201307-e2yn6ui2f0f615pr3ydn1t5ucpiwm27pw

NotlPrimRose vs PhotographerAbby: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1363871626

NotlPrimRose vs GenOne: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1365879538

NotlPrimRose vs MADARAAAAAA (i'm sorry if i put too many or too little As) https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1365395319

NotlPrimRose vs T3CH THIEVES: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1346159133

I have more but i feel like that's enough and most of the other ones are losses because i'm not very good at this game lol. Please don't be mean to any of my opponents in these replays, and also don't be mean to me because of how bad i played in these replays because both will make me very sad. Ok, I need a nap, bye

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
:genesect::drapion::dragapult::zygarde::urshifu::incineroar:
Genesect @ Assault Vest
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Drapion @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Cross Poison
- Knock Off
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Hex
- Thunderbolt

Zygarde @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Glare
- Substitute
- Protect

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Life Orb
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- Protect

Incineroar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Atk / 28 Def / 156 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
I've been playing around with Drapion (50% of the time, it works every time) for a while now, and AV Gene seemed like an excellent partner for it. Specs Hex Pult here goes with Tspikes of course, but is also a solid answer to Kart and Urshi. Sub Glare Zygarde helps with Heatran and Zera, and is useful for the TR matchup. LO Urshi adds another axis for offensive power and is not choiced to make it harder to force out. Finally, our own Incin rounds out the team with Fake Out and Intim. Overall, the team aims to set Tspikes for attrition, then use Gene and Zyg to wear down answers and pave the way for an Urshi or Pult win.

Surfing on a bug

Importable:https://pokepast.es/872b022d04d902eb
Description: I've been playing around with Rain for quite a while now, and Scarf Genesect is the star of the show for this team. Fake out support helps you set up Tailwind more easily. Zapdos in rain is dangerous with Thunder and Hurricane. Ludicolo with Life orb is just amazing in rain with Muddy water and hh support. This team tries to wear down opposing mons with Ludi and Zap and win the endgames with genesect or rillaboom

Candy Corn

Banned deucer.
:Genesect: :Tyranitar: :Dracozolt: :Tsareena: :Incineroar: :Kartana:

Hello all! I'm new to the forums and new to competitive pokemon in general. You may have seen me on Showdown under the moniker "PhotographerAbby." I have spent all night trying to come up with a genesect team that works good, but isn't on a standard rilla/incin team. Well, unfortunately my teambuilding skills are still really lackluster and I was unable to get douse genesct rain to work, and I sadly realized shock genesect can barely 2hko fini. So I unfortunately ended up using the standard scarf genesect. I wanted to still use something that isn't quite standard, just to give my team some flare.

:Tyranitar: :Dracozolt:
I started with these two because I knew I wanted to use sand. Dracozolt was chosen over excadrill because it has the ability to ohko urshifu, ohko opposing genesect, and ohko random ferrothorns that aren't running close to max SpD. Plus it's cooler.

:Tsareena: :Incineroar:
I knew I wanted to use tsareena because rillaboom is an issue for ttar and fake out in general is annoying when your goal is to just do massive damage with stuff. I paired it with incineroar so they can do a knock off/taunt combo on things that want to try and set up trick room. Good for stopping mental herb shenanigans and getting eviolite off the bulky setters.

:Genesect: :Kartana:
Genesect serves an important role in being a fast and threatening option that forces switches, allowing you to u-turn into things like incin or ttar.It also serves a dual purpose in checking kyurem black, zygarde, and ferrothorn so all of the pressure isn't just on dracozolt. Kartana was added last as another form of speed control for the team since sand only affects dracozolt and isn't realistically up all the time.

Vs Hrishioo7: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1390503866-dm2pc66s3i3o9bvmbxjommn6bt8o5k6pw
Not the greatest of performances on his end due to him being tired but still a good fight vs a talented player.

Vs tdtdt: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1390509686-zatl970yigwx2jg5z22yq2htx0zh8qopw
Again, not the greatest of battles but he was the second highest player I played that night.

I hope you all enjoy using this team and I hope you all enjoyed my first team post. The team is probably far from perfect, but it demonstrates how good genesect is at simply being an offensive pivot. I had lots of fun trying to build for this and look forward for the next one! EDIT: I realize the replays I posted only show genesect dying lol But the roles he plays for the team are still relevant.

Last edited:
:genesect: :politoed: :kingdra: :rillaboom: :zapdos: :scrafty:

Supposed to be a fun team but still i will describe it in short. I was pretty impressed how genesect can beat its checks except maybe zapdos under rain. Politoed was added first as its the best rain partener for genesect providing helping hand to it which i thought was more important than what pelliper provides(tailwind). Some calcs-

252 SpA Genesect-Douse Techno Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran in Rain: 352-416 (108.9 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Genesect-Douse Thunder vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Volcanion: 368-434 (101.3 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Genesect-Douse Helping Hand Techno Blast vs. 248 HP / 160+ SpD Incineroar in Rain: 468-552 (119 - 140.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Genesect-Douse Helping Hand Thunder vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 406-478 (118.3 - 139.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

flash cannon on gene over iron head cause the set it already spa based and iron head without attack investment is bad vs kyurem black anyway. kingdra is the best rain abuser so was an obvious choice. Rillaboom was added next as a terrain shifter(for draco meteor) and fake out. Went for super power on this as i didnt need wood hammer for anything. Zapdos was added next as i loved it in conjunction with rain and also provides tailwind and a kartana/genesect u turn resist. This thing also beats rillaboom/amoongus which are p annoying for kingdra. In the last slot i need a real kyub/p2 check+ smth good vs psyspam. Scrafty was just the perfect fit in this slot as it provided intimidate, was a dark type, helped a lot with tr mu with help of taunt, and also countered ps/kyub p well. Eject pack was chosen as it works extremely well with rain as it is. And anyway incin+rain seemed kinda whack

replay -

1. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1390532643-zwoejjdevq97kmabe3pec2zv32gi0dzpw

Since nobody has posted a shift-gear genesect team yet, I’ll do it. Talkingtree did first, my mistake.

:Rillaboom: :Zeraora: :Togekiss: :zygarde: :Tapu Fini: :Genesect:

https://pokepast.es/45249ef9d5b3e8e3

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Zeraora @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 216 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Coaching
- Blaze Kick

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 236 HP / 152 Def / 40 SpA / 72 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Follow Me
- Tailwind

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Thousand Waves
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 144 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Genesect @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Iron Head
- Shift Gear
- Protect

Shift gear Genesect + coaching can run away with games very quickly as seen in OSDT. The main counters are Heatran/Volcanion, so Zygarde is essential. These two work so well together as Genesect beats Kyu-b and grass types, while Zygarde beats the fire/steel types genesect can’t touch. Togekiss is added for tailwind/redirection support, and calm mind Fini is there as another recipient of coaching that can run away with games if Kartana is removed/not present.

Last edited:

NinjaSnapple

Hero in a half shell
is a Tiering Contributor
https://pokepast.es/508f5f47f8cd1d69

:rillaboom: :tyranitar: :volcanion: :tapu fini: :genesect: :zygarde:

This has been my favourite team ever since I built it about 3 months ago and it's worked for me quite well on the ladder.

:Rillaboom:
Rillaboom is a great support pokemon with fake out and grassy surge. It is also my main counter to tapu fini who can otherwise be large problem for my team. It has great coverage moves in u-turn and superpower, the latter being especially useful and it does 85.7 - 101.1% to kartana with max physical attack investment and an adamant nature.

:Zygarde:
Zygarde is a very strong and decently bulky physical attacker the with strong ground type spread move thousand arrows which is useful when dealing with the electric type weakness that comes with having two water types on your team.

:Tyranitar:
Tyranitar is a slow but very hard hitting physical attacker who is useful as it sets up sandstorm which helps a lot vs opposing weather teams, who can sometimes be an issue to deal with. Ice punch is useful for ground types like Lando-T and Zygarde and also Rillaboom. Rock slide is great for dealing with Zapdos who can otherwise pose a real threat to a good portion of my team.

:Tapu Fini:
Originally Tapu Fini wasn't on this team but I replaced Diancie with it specifically to deal pokemon like amoonguss and dusclops spreading status moves like sleep and burns which was a massive problem for me previously. Outside of that it acts as a check to zygarde, dragapult, kingdra, galarian zapdos and urshifu rapid strike.

:Volcanion:
Volcanion is incredibly useful as it covers the some of the weaknesses of rillaboom, tyranitar and genesect. If it manages to get behind a substitute which is very manageable with fake out support from rillaboom, it can pose a massive threat to the opposing team as steam eruption and heatwave hit a lot of top tier pokemon for neutral or super effective damage. Also because of its ability water absorb it can infinitely wall urshifu rapid strike if it's locked into surging strikes or aqua jet.

:Genesect:
Genesect is an already fast pokemon made even faster with the addition of a choice scarf. With u-turn, flamethrower, ice beam and iron head it acts as a great answer to rillaboom, kartana, lando-t and tapu lele. Iron head allows it to act as a somewhat reliable check to kyurem black assuming it gets the physical attack boost from download when it switches in.

Replays showing the team in action:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1366255083-72l1oixsw148zcel1yj1e6y9oechtabpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1380049500
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1377537692
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1368653422
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1357579377
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1377519558-bxrehfyirzcgfouxet5b5ezjqwkqjuvpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1370353644
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1370356182
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1384039889

Mack Knife

Future 50th President
:genesect: :Zygarde: :tapu fini: :rillaboom: :mew: :Arcanine:

:genesect:I saw genesect got simple beam and thought that could be neat tech to throw some people off. So went with this set. Idk what the evs do because I copied them from elsewhere. I like the idea of running rocky on random mons bc water bear, u-turns and I just find it funny. Plus, can't av bc of simple beam. Keep icebeam and flame to hit fini/zygarde checks hard. Could run iron head or protect over turn but I think it is the safer play.

:zygarde:Primary recipient of simple beam, if that is the strat we think we can win with. Standard dd set, Not a huge fan of dd, but it works as a gimmick on this team.

:Tapu Fini:Standard cm set. Is always nice bc cm fini just wrecks tr. Also has huge synergy with zygie especially if one of them is set up. I find that opponents have to burn 2-3 turns turns for each mon sometimes and just trying to do that with both on the field is brutal.

:rillaboom:Choice band. Yep. Look the other stuff on here doesn't do a lot of guaranteed damage or fast damage for sure. I wanted rilla and I needed a mon to hit hard. Thus cb rilla is a natural extension of the team imo. If I was braver I could drop a move for fake out to play some mind games. Superpower is def the play over highhorse imo bc ran isn't that big of a problem (he does beat like 4/6 mons tho lol).

:Mew:Coaching mew to play even deeper in the "set-up-either-zygie-or-fini-and-win" strat. Mew's purpose is to press coaching on stuff, facilitate moves by fake out, set wind, and soften some stuff up with a guaranteed half damage move. I found that super fang could be dropped for something like ice beam/flamethrower or even psychic, but I love super fang. Tailwind could also be dropped for the same moves. .

:arcanine: We are not bringing incin bc 1.puppy is cuter, 2. Dark is weak to fighting, and 3. Helping hand. The team isn't necessarily kart weak but I would just rather have a better switch. HH has come in clutch a few times too. I considered cc over wisp but wisp is just so useful to nail stuff with. Arc is just a great intimidate/snarl pivot that helps with the teams primary win cons. Idk what the evs do, just brought them from an earlier gen but I like them.

I also thought about situations where simple beam could let intimidate/snarl really soften stuff up, but that just doesn't seem like a realistic thought experiment.

edits bc I cant spehl

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)