Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power Ice

(Gen 5 Monotype)​
This set allows Mienshao to be a great revenge killer. It’s base 105 speed allows it to outspeed scarfed/boosted Pokemon such as Salamence, Volcarona, Heracross, Garchomp, and Jirachi. Reckless boosts Mienshao’s High Jump Kick and makes spamming it a more viable option. Stone edge allows Mienshao to hit Pokémon such as Victini, Froslass, Xatu, and Volcarona for super effective damage. Hidden power ice allows Mienshao to deal extra damage to Pokémon such as Salamence, Dragonite, and Garchomp. U-turn is the main appeal of this set, as it allows Mienshao to keep up momentum vs Psychic teams.

This could be a fun pokemon to build around for Gen 8 Monotype:

Orbeetle @ Light Clay
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Def / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Sticky Web
This is the perfect scout for Psychic to set webs and allow its slower aces (Gallade / Mr. Rime, the latter being viable to use its BoltBeam coverage), as well as look for potential items that may hinder the team. U-Turn is for momentum. The Speed EVs are designed to outspeed base 70s (like Bisharp), as well give enough physical bulk to live a Life Orb Sucker Punch from Bisharp. You could pair this in Indeedee, Gallade, Espeon, Jirachi (for a slower/faster pivot), etc. It should be fun to use the screens for some awesome set ups.

The submissions phase is now over! Leave your vote below with the name of the core / gen to decide what we build around on Saturday.

Hyperspace12's Gen 7 Golem-A & Minior

Xylia's Gen 8 Stored Power Jirachi & Cobalion

Roxiee's Gen 8 Ribombee & Primarina

Jolly Togekiss's Gen 5 Scarf Mienshao

Keahi's Gen 8 Screens Orbeetle Psychic

Thanks to everyone who submitted cores this week!

Last edited:
Fourth week of CCATs is over, and here is what we got!

:cobalion::mienshao::scrafty::keldeo::breloom::heracross:

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 244 HP / 48 Atk / 216 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Crunch

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Seed Bomb
- Protect

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

:mienshao::cobalion:

Choice Scarf Mienshao was the winning submission. It's a powerful, fast revenge killer that can late-game sweep weakened teams (most notably Water and Steel) while having wallbreaking potential in the form of Reckless-boosted High Jump Kicks. To complement Mienshao's wallbreaking potential, our first addition was Rocks Cobalion with Volt Switch to form a VoltTurn core, allowing the team to have boosted momentum.

:mienshao::cobalion::scrafty:

After that, the majority of people present wanted a way to further countermeasure Psychic, BW's premier type at the moment. Scrafty was the addition of choice; with a specially defensive Bulk Up set, it can leave a dent on most Psychic teams. 48 Attack EV's enables it to OHKO Latios after a sole Bulk Up boost.

:mienshao::cobalion::scrafty::keldeo:

Fighting's relative versatility in terms of team options led to a community vote on the fourth slot. Keldeo was the winner, as people thought a wallbreaker was needed for the team. Given that, Specs was the set we opted for, with Icy Wind on the last slot to serve as a win condition against Dragon teams.

:mienshao::cobalion::scrafty::keldeo::breloom:

The participants were debating on either Terrakion or Breloom at this point. A vote was held to decide it, and Breloom had the most approval as Water is also a huge type in BW. To focus on beating Water, we chose Swords Dance + Poison Heal, with Facade and Seed Bomb as attacking moves and Protect to scout attacks from possible Choice-locked Pokemon like Politoed and Keldeo.

:mienshao::cobalion::scrafty::keldeo::breloom::heracross:

Lastly, the team was in need of a Fighting-type resist, as Scarf Terrakion/Keldeo steamrolled. Between Heracross and Toxicroak, we decided to go with the former, mainly because it enables the team to have a very positive matchup against Psychic with a Choice Scarf set. Guts was the ability of choice for it to act as a secondary status absorber.

Shoutouts to Floss, GuzzlesOwO, Brisked, Bondie, Tico 21, Pawwz, Verde and Aggelo_Uta for participating in the project this week!

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5monotype-1124111149 vs Dragon
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5monotype-1124111628 vs Dragon
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5monotype-1124103270 vs Water

CCAT Week 4 is officially finished!

fuck it we are going in - BIG zong and copperajah, gen 8 obv

dont really have any specific moves i want, maybe sheer force epower if you can fit it but thats about it

you best believe its gotta be trick room

edit: damn haha reacts on my first ever serious post this is so sad

Last edited:
Gen 8 Ghost
Froslass (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Icy Wind
- Destiny Bond / Taunt / Spikes

I would love to see a Ghost team centered around this set (as you can tell, I've been in love with Screens in SS). I slashed the bottom moves, as Icy Wind is an amazing anti-lead move to stop Scarfs/faster leads to use a move before Froslass can put a screen on the field. Taunt is for anti-leading, Spikes to pair with Corsola-G (Stealth Rock)to set up the perfect hazard play. Destiny Bond to revenge kill another pokemon. The last slot is very flexible.

Pairable mons: Dragapult (DD / Specs), Gengar (Nasty Plot set-up), Doublade set up, etc.

Thunder

Kingku ke charan pranam
Toxapex @ Choice Specs
Ability: Merciless
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hex
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam

Garbodor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Explosion
- Gunk Shot
A gen8 core of garbodor and toxapex. As for toxapex, as I mentioned I have no idea what I am doing. I have used some brain in creating the garbodor. Toxic spikes to make use of merciless, expolsion just to act as suicide lead, gunk shot was a filler as for weak armor and drain punch that was a fun set. weak armor and drain punch helps to kill scarf excadrill, as it lives a hit due to sash and drain punch 2hko's.
Fuck it, it was the most motivation I had regarding gen8 in weeks

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
:ss/cinderace:
Cinderace @ ?
Ability: Libero
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- ?
- ?
- ?
- ?

Cinderace's Hidden Ability just got released and it's essentially just Protean but with fancier name. Protean + any decent offensive Pokemon is a dangerous combination, so Cinderace will for sure be a lot better with it. If you were here in SM for Greninja you know how it functions, there's a lot of sets it can run because its movepool is pretty vast and with different items. Cinderace's movepool is a bit smaller here, but it still has a bunch of coverage options like Zen Headbutt, Electro Ball, Sucker Punch and High Jump Kick to get STAB on, and I can see a bunch of potential items being good on it too. Zen Headbutt revenge kills Keldeo and beats Poison-type Pokemon like Toxapex and Galarian Weezing, Sucker Punch revenge kills Dragapult and Gengar, Electro Ball can be potentially cool to hit Water-type Pokemon bar Seismitoad and Gastrodon, and STAB High Jump Kick even better now. Unfortunately, SS Fire doesn't have the same support that SM Water and Dark can provide, so Cinderace doesn't necessarily have the same team support as Greninja to make it shine. I didn't include a specific set for Cinderace because I can see Libero opening it up to many creative ones, but I think Libero Cinderace is something that would be interesting to build around for this week's CCaT.

Inteleon @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
Timid Nature
- Snipe Shot
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse / Shadow Ball / Air Slash
Now that the hidden ability starters are out, the hype is going to be mostly around Cinderace and Rillaboom. Inteleon is not going to receive much love because of a luck-reliant ability, although it would make for an interesting build for this week's CCAT. Under the rain, if you can manage a critical hit, you can pull off some serious damage. Although Snipe Shot is the main focus of this set, you also do get some nice coverage moves like Ice Beam, Dark Pulse and Air Slash, and the ability to pivot out with U-turn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)