Metagame SS OU Metagame Discussion Thread v7 (Usage Stats in post #3539)

THE SILVALLY FILES
Chapter 0: Prologue
:ss/Silvally:

Welcome to the Silvally Files, a little project I'm going to be working on where I will go in depth on Silvally and all of its forms, noting all possible viable tactics involving them, and experimenting with every single one while reporting my findings. This experiment could be a complete bust or a cool success, but overall, I think it'll be a good learning experience for me and something fun to follow for you guys hopefully.

This is Chapter 0, the first installment where I will talk about Silvally in general, pros, cons, and talking about all of the types with my first impressions before the in-depth experiments begin. The inspiration for the Silvally Files came from Silvally itself. With such an interesting concept, a STAB 120 Power move of every type, and some cool utility moves, I believe there is some potential that through experimentation I hope to be found over time.

Let's begin:

First, I want to cover the general idea of Silvally, what is good about it, and what isn't.

Let's start with the obvious,
Multi Attack: A 120 BP move that is ALWAYS STAB for Silvally, granting a nuke button on every single type it could utilize.
This move is the saving grace of Silvally as this means it always has a spammable move to use in a ton of scenarios, and acts as a really strong STAB with no downsides.

Defensive Stat Spread
It may not look it, but 95 across the board is a lot better defensively than you may think. Keep in mind 100 across the board gave birth to Demon Mew, which is an incredibly annoying threat that can dismantle your entire team, 5 less in each stat is not a huge detriment, ESPECIALLY when Silvally can play any type it wants.

Pivoting
The amount of good utility moves Silvally has isn't the greatest, but what it does have is Parting Shot, an incredible pivoting move that lowers both offensive stats of the opponent, giving whoever comes in a huge advantage.

Special Movepool
Silvally's special movepool is fantastic, Draco Meteor, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Flash Cannon, Shadow Ball, Surf, Air Slash, Hyper Voice, Tri Attack, Steel Beam. All great moves it can utilize and make STAB by changing its type.
Offensive Stat Spread
While I would consider 95 defensive spread good enough, 95 attack spread just isn't great. Luckily it does get access to swords dance, but that 95 attack really hurts the offensive pressure Silvally could put on.

Physical Movepool
Although Multi Attack is HUGE for its movepool, allowing it to have a move of any type, it's coverage otherwise is lackluster. The Fangs are okay at best, Crunch, Iron Head, Rock Slide and Shadow Claw are usable, but I feel it could've gotten such better moves. Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, Earthquake, Stone Edge all missing is a big detriment to Silvally's abilities.

Unreliable Recovery
Silvally has no reliable recovery sadly. A lack of such means defensive sets become a little more fringe especially with a lack of Item due to having to use the Memory's to get new types. It does have Rest, but that's it.
(Things I don't consider good nor bad, but need mentioned.)

Utility Movepool

While Silvally doesn't have a big utility movepool, the ones it can use are pretty good. The aforementioned Parting Shot, T-Wave, Roar, Defog, ID, along with some niche ones like Magic Coat, Rest + Sleep Talk, and Tailwind. Overall not great, but some cool options in there.

Itemless
Now I know, this seems like a really big downside, but it has an upside. With an item that cannot be knocked off, some types of Silvally can easily swap into Knock's without worry. It can't lose the memory attached to it so Knock Off doesn't get the power boost meaning you can use that to wall things like Weavile who tries to bypass the ice resistances with Knock Off.

Speed Tier
95 speed tier is a competitive wasteland with Splashifu and Lele being the big boys, however running Adamant/Modest is 100% an option because they still outspeed the likes of Heatran, Nidoking, and Volcanion while adding an extra punch to Multi-Attack and other moves.

With that, time to move into each type, my initial thoughts, and ranking them on where I think they will stand post experiment. I'll be going alphabetically:

They will be ranked on a three rank system. A question will be asked if I think there is potential, and I will put Yes, Possibly, or No

:ss/silvally-bug:
Silvally-Bug

Potential
: No
Reasoning: The bug typing is just such a bad type. Defensively it gets wiped off the face of the earth by Heatran without any real way to take it down. A Megahorn with 100% accuracy is nice and all, but I see no feasible way this thing can work. STAB U-turn sounds fun, but you'd be giving up Parting Shot which is one of its best utilities. I can't even think of a set that might be even decent for this right now.
:ss/silvally-dark:
Silvally-Dark

Potential:
Possibly
Reasoning: Silvally-Dark changes things up a little. I'm not too sure what to think of Silvally-Dark. The defensive spread means if you run a specially defensive set, it walls Pult really hard with Draco Meteor having a chance to 3HKO. I'm leaning away from it because other than the ghosty bois it wouldn't check that much, but maybe it just need some more thought put into it.
:ss/silvally-dragon:
Silvally-Dragon

Potential
While having Outrage with no drawbacks is really nice, defensive pokemon in the meta really hurt this thing. Tapu Fini would just crush this thing into the floor. It wouldn't enjoy the presence of Clefable, Heatran, Lando, and Melmetal. Would get taken out by Pult's Dracos, Lele's Moonblasts, Weavile's Triple Axel ect ect. While that Multi Attack looks tempting, it just doesn't seem like it will work with the vast amount of threats stacked against it.
:ss/silvally-electric:
Silvally-Electric

Potential:
Possibly
Yes, it is highly outclassed by Zeraora, however I'm not going to discount it completely because electric is just such a good offensive typing. Multi-Attack + Ice Fang create that perfect BoltBeam coverage able to squash many defensive threats like Pex, Fini, Corviknight, Slowbro, Slowking, and Garchomp with those moves in hand. Lando-T becomes a little more complicated with Intimidate HOWEVER a special set with Thunderbolt and Ice Beam would fix this problem but would open up more checks than it's worth. Overall, I believe this is the best of the 4 so far.
:ss/silvally-fairy:
Silvally-Fairy

Potential:
Yes
The first Yes! Silvally-Fairy can utilize its great defensive typing with a good defensive spread to mix up its defenses and avoid the 2HKO from both Weaviles Triple Axel AND Dragapults Specs Shadow Ball after rocks while nuking them back with a POWERFUL Multi Attack. Although fringe, Rest can be a good option to recover up HP, maybe use a heal bell user or come back in on another wall to waste some sleep turns, wake up and continue doing its job. Excited to experiment with Silvally-Fairy. I will provide a theorized set for all the Yes picks, so here ya go:

Silvally-Fairy @ Fairy Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Parting Shot
- Toxic / Thunder Wave / Roar / Rest
:ss/silvally-fighting:
Silvally-Fighting

Potential:
Possibly
I'm tempted by this, but I also see its issues. A Close Combat with no drawbacks is fantastic and could pair well with FuturePort Bro. Possible double dance possibilities with Flame Charge, or using Psychic Fangs for Pex, Crunch for Pult ect. Unlike some other types Silvally-Fighting has coverage to make up for Fighting's weaknesses. It is outpaced by Splashifu as an offensive physical fighting type, but could be okay...?
:ss/silvally-fire:
Silvally-Fire

Potential:
Possibly
Pyro Ball before Pyro Ball, Silvally gets access to a very powerful fire STAB able to wipe the floor with things like Corviknight and even can OHKO Clef at +2! If it's Unaware Clef it gets 2HKOd after rocks. It CAN 2HKO Pex with Adamant +2 Thunder Fangs, but thats a high roll so watch out for Pex. As always Lando's Intimidate can cause some issues for you, but SpDef Lando can still be 2HKOd by Ice Fang. This was almost a yes, but just a few checks that worry me that pretty much require an SD to handle.
:ss/silvally-flying:
Silvally-Flying

Potential: No
A flying type needs to have more speed to be usable imo. Torn-T has a 375 speed tier so it can outspeed and KO things like Kartana, but Silvally-Flying just can't do that. Recoilless Brave Birds is fun and all, but things like Weavile, Electrics, Kart, Blaceph, Garchomp, Melmetal, Heatran ect ect, just hit too hard and Silvally struggles to either hit first or hard enough to beat them.
:ss/silvally-ghost:
Silvally-Ghost

Potential:
Yes
Literally the most powerful physical ghost type move in the game, combined with Ghosts potency to just be able to spam the same move over and over, PLUS having a non-Knockable item meaning Knock Off cant kill it makes a mon that can become a legitamate threat if used right. This thing was the start of my journey to making Project Silvally Files and could end up being a lot of fun, and can hit VERY hard.

Silvally-Ghost @ Ghost Memory
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Flame Charge
- Parting Shot / Substitute

Substitute SD Silvally can be used to just sit on Blissey, or you can Flame Charge on unsuspecting Weaviles. Once Ghostvally is at +2 it's gonna HURT. 2HKOing the likes of Toxapex, Lando-T AFTER Intimidate bringing it to +1, Brotwins stand no chance, Melmetal, Clefable, Heatran, Corviknight, Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, and even Tapu Fini. +2 Ghostvally is a monster that I hope turns out as well as I think it will.
:ss/silvally-grass:
Silvally-Grass

Potential
And immediately we return back to the bad side. Silvally-Grass suffers from the same fate as Silvally-Flying, too many things that can hurt it before it can hurt others. Silvally-Grass also struggles even worse against Heatran, and is weak to U-turn (yuck). It can handle bulky waters with Multi Attack able to take on Fini and the Slowtwins well, but then gets dropped by things like Buzzwole and Heatran.
:ss/silvally-ground:
Silvally-Ground

Potential:
Yes
This is turning into a damn seesaw as we pivot back to yes! Silvally-Ground I believe would have a niche as a bulky ground able to shake off electrics like Koko and Zeraora, even being Knock resistant as to deter Zeraora even more. A 120 BP Ground STAB being literally an unmissable Precipice Blades, and the obvious coverage moves to help against its weaknesses, with good pivoting power means this thing could serve as a very strange Lando as it can even Defog and spread status. Outclassed by Lando-T? Sure. Usable? Sure.

Silvally-Ground @ Ground Memory
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Defog
- Toxic / Thunder Wave / Rest
- Parting Shot
:ss/silvally-ice:
Silvally-Ice

Potential:
No
Sliiide to the left, sliiide to the right, CRISS CROSS. Back to No we go! Silvally-Ice is very similar to Silvally-Electric with the BoltBeam with 1 of them being STAB, decent coverage yada yada, but the difference is in the typing. Although the same concept is present, Ice is a MUCH worse defensive typing than electric, as electric only has 1 weakness while Ice has 4. This means Icevally can't eat nearly as many things as Sparkvally can, which is going to be a major issue when setting up SD. Glacial Lance - 10BP is cool, but it doesn't make up for how bad of a defensive type Ice is.
:ss/silvally-poison:
Silvally-Poison

Electric being weak to Ground is one thing because at least that's its only weakness, but Silvally-Poison just hurts my soul. Weak to both Ground and Psychic means a plethora of moves in the meta hit it hard, and Poison doesn't even hit that hard back. Sure, disposing of Fairies is nice, but Pex and Heatran once again show up to ruin your day. Free Gunk Shots are cool, but that's just it. I doubt Poison will get very far with Steel types being immune.
:ss/silvally-psychic:
Silvally-Psychic

Potential: Possibly
This one interests me. A physical psychic type with a 120 BP STAB means Toxapex no longer becomes an issue in any universe. Once again becoming Knock resistant removes some of Weavile's threat, and a Flame Charge set similar to Spoopvally can be used, although not as effective since Ghost is way more spammable, and Heatran ONCE AGAIN becomes an issue. This will be one that could end up being near the top, but still needs more experimenting.
:ss/silvally-rock:
Silvally-Rock

Rock stacks up so many weaknesses of types that are so potent. Being weak to Water, Fighting, and Ground is a 1-way ticket to hell. You could hit things like Torn-T and Zapdos really hard sure, but if that Zapdos is on a rain team you don't stand a chance. Lando-T loves seeing you as it lowers your attack and hits really hard with EQ. This just isn't gonna work.
:ss/silvally-steel:
Silvally-Steel

Got really close to yes on this, but I'm not fully sold. Steel is such a good type with 10 resistances, plus a 120 BP Steel move would hurt, but we circle back to Tran and Pex. As a defensive option thought could be a good idea with the same rest idea and thunder wave luring in both pex and heatran for good utility to help your teammates. Parting Shot as always is goated as Magnezone cannot trap you as long as you run it. This is SO close to a yes, but I'll hold out on it because of the weakness to ground and fighting scaring me with Grounds almost required on teams while Focus Blast and CC run rampant.
:ss/silvally-water:
Silvally-Water

From one end of possibly to the other, this one barely made the cut into possibly. The reason I put it here is because of the ability to check Heatran, Splashifu, Weavile, and Lando. Being able to check 3/4 S tiers is a great asset. It is outclassed as a bulky water by Pex, Bro, and Fini, but that doesn't change the question of is it usable. This one I doubt will actually make the cut as a good choice, but I can't deny it has at least a very small glimmer of hope with a strong 120 BP Water STAB.
:ss/silvally:
Silvally-Normal

Potential: Yes
Saving this for last since Silvally Normal is very different from the others. Silvally Normal doesn't need to hold a memory so item access could play a big part in Silvally being good. Scarf, Band, Leftovers to be defensive, the options are huge for Silvally. So much so that I can't even give a set because there is just so many possibilities that I don't know where to start. Definitely going to be the longest experiment of the bunch with tons of potential.

Don't worry, future Silvally Files posts won't be nearly as long as long as this was, but this was to get a foundation. From here on out I'll post my findings probably 2 at a time showcasing what I found it could do and ranking it amongst their brethren. If you saw potential in Silvally, feel free to give 'em a shot and tell me your findings so we can see what Silvally may or may not be capable of, although I don't expect any of these to be like top tier threats, my end goal is to hopefully get a Silvally form at least nominated to the C ranks in the viability rankings.

Last edited:
THE SILVALLY FILES
Chapter 0: Prologue
:ss/Silvally:

Welcome to the Silvally Files, a little project I'm going to be working on where I will go in depth on Silvally and all of its forms, noting all possible viable tactics involving them, and experimenting with every single one while reporting my findings. This experiment could be a complete bust or a cool success, but overall, I think it'll be a good learning experience for me and something fun to follow for you guys hopefully.

This is Chapter 0, the first installment where I will talk about Silvally in general, pros, cons, and talking about all of the types with my first impressions before the in-depth experiments begin. The inspiration for the Silvally Files came from Silvally itself. With such an interesting concept, a STAB 120 Power move of every type, and some cool utility moves, I believe there is some potential that through experimentation I hope to be found over time.

Let's begin:

First, I want to cover the general idea of Silvally, what is good about it, and what isn't.

Let's start with the obvious,
Multi Attack: A 120 BP move that is ALWAYS STAB for Silvally, granting a nuke button on every single type it could utilize.
This move is the saving grace of Silvally as this means it always has a spammable move to use in a ton of scenarios, and acts as a really strong STAB with no downsides.

Defensive Stat Spread
It may not look it, but 95 across the board is a lot better defensively than you may think. Keep in mind 100 across the board gave birth to Demon Mew, which is an incredibly annoying threat that can dismantle your entire team, 5 less in each stat is not a huge detriment, ESPECIALLY when Silvally can play any type it wants.

Pivoting
The amount of good utility moves Silvally has isn't the greatest, but what it does have is Parting Shot, an incredible pivoting move that lowers both offensive stats of the opponent, giving whoever comes in a huge advantage.

Special Movepool
Silvally's special movepool is fantastic, Draco Meteor, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Flash Cannon, Shadow Ball, Surf, Air Slash, Hyper Voice, Tri Attack, Steel Beam. All great moves it can utilize and make STAB by changing its type.
Offensive Stat Spread
While I would consider 95 defensive spread good enough, 95 attack spread just isn't great. Luckily it does get access to swords dance, but that 95 attack really hurts the offensive pressure Silvally could put on.

Physical Movepool
Although Multi Attack is HUGE for its movepool, allowing it to have a move of any type, it's coverage otherwise is lackluster. The Fangs are okay at best, Crunch, Iron Head, Rock Slide and Shadow Claw are usable, but I feel it could've gotten such better moves. Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, Earthquake, Stone Edge all missing is a big detriment to Silvally's abilities.

Unreliable Recovery
Silvally has no reliable recovery sadly. A lack of such means defensive sets become a little more fringe especially with a lack of Item due to having to use the Memory's to get new types. It does have Rest, but that's it.
(Things I don't consider good nor bad, but need mentioned.)

Utility Movepool

While Silvally doesn't have a big utility movepool, the ones it can use are pretty good. The aforementioned Parting Shot, T-Wave, Roar, Defog, ID, along with some niche ones like Magic Coat, Rest + Sleep Talk, and Tailwind. Overall not great, but some cool options in there.

Itemless
Now I know, this seems like a really big downside, but it has an upside. With an item that cannot be knocked off, some types of Silvally can easily swap into Knock's without worry. It can't lose the memory attached to it so Knock Off doesn't get the power boost meaning you can use that to wall things like Weavile who tries to bypass the ice resistances with Knock Off.

Speed Tier
95 speed tier is a competitive wasteland with Splashifu and Lele being the big boys, however running Adamant/Modest is 100% an option because they still outspeed the likes of Heatran, Nidoking, and Volcanion while adding an extra punch to Multi-Attack and other moves.

With that, time to move into each type, my initial thoughts, and ranking them on where I think they will stand post experiment. I'll be going alphabetically:

They will be ranked on a three rank system. A question will be asked if I think there is potential, and I will put Yes, Possibly, or No

:ss/silvally-bug:
Silvally-Bug

Potential
Reasoning: The bug typing is just such a bad type. Defensively it gets wiped off the face of the earth by Heatran without any real way to take it down. A Megahorn with 100% accuracy is nice and all, but I see no feasible way this thing can work. STAB U-turn sounds fun, but you'd be giving up Parting Shot which is one of its best utilities. I can't even think of a set that might be even decent for this right now.
:ss/silvally-dark:
Silvally-Dark

Potential:
Possibly
Reasoning: Silvally-Dark changes things up a little. I'm not too sure what to think of Silvally-Dark. The defensive spread means if you run a specially defensive set, it walls Pult really hard with Draco Meteor having a chance to 3HKO. I'm leaning away from it because other than the ghosty bois it wouldn't check that much, but maybe it just need some more thought put into it.
:ss/silvally-dragon:
Silvally-Dragon

Potential
While having Outrage with no drawbacks is really nice, defensive pokemon in the meta really hurt this thing. Tapu Fini would just crush this thing into the floor. It wouldn't enjoy the presence of Clefable, Heatran, Lando, and Melmetal. Would get taken out by Pult's Dracos, Lele's Moonblasts, Weavile's Triple Axel ect ect. While that Multi Attack looks tempting, it just doesn't seem like it will work with the vast amount of threats stacked against it.
:ss/silvally-electric:
Silvally-Electric

Potential:
Possibly
Yes, it is highly outclassed by Zeraora, however I'm not going to discount it completely because electric is just such a good offensive typing. Multi-Attack + Ice Fang create that perfect BoltBeam coverage able to squash many defensive threats like Pex, Fini, Corviknight, Slowbro, Slowking, and Garchomp with those moves in hand. Lando-T becomes a little more complicated with Intimidate HOWEVER a special set with Thunderbolt and Ice Beam would fix this problem but would open up more checks than it's worth. Overall, I believe this is the best of the 4 so far.
:ss/silvally-fairy:
Silvally-Fairy

Potential:
Yes
The first Yes! Silvally-Fairy can utilize its great defensive typing with a good defensive spread to mix up its defenses and avoid the 2HKO from both Weaviles Triple Axel AND Dragapults Specs Shadow Ball after rocks while nuking them back with a POWERFUL Multi Attack. Although fringe, Rest can be a good option to recover up HP, maybe use a heal bell user or come back in on another wall to waste some sleep turns, wake up and continue doing its job. Excited to experiment with Silvally-Fairy. I will provide a theorized set for all the Yes picks, so here ya go:

Silvally-Fairy @ Fairy Memory
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Parting Shot
:ss/silvally-fighting:
Silvally-Fighting

Potential:
Possibly
I'm tempted by this, but I also see its issues. A Close Combat with no drawbacks is fantastic and could pair well with FuturePort Bro. Possible double dance possibilities with Flame Charge, or using Psychic Fangs for Pex, Crunch for Pult ect. Unlike some other types Silvally-Fighting has coverage to make up for Fighting's weaknesses. It is outpaced by Splashifu as an offensive physical fighting type, but could be okay...?
:ss/silvally-fire:
Silvally-Fire

Potential:
Possibly
Pyro Ball before Pyro Ball, Silvally gets access to a very powerful fire STAB able to wipe the floor with things like Corviknight and even can OHKO Clef at +2! If it's Unaware Clef it gets 2HKOd after rocks. It CAN 2HKO Pex with Adamant +2 Thunder Fangs, but thats a high roll so watch out for Pex. As always Lando's Intimidate can cause some issues for you, but SpDef Lando can still be 2HKOd by Ice Fang. This was almost a yes, but just a few checks that worry me that pretty much require an SD to handle.
:ss/silvally-flying:
Silvally-Flying

A flying type needs to have more speed to be usable imo. Torn-T has a 375 speed tier so it can outspeed and KO things like Kartana, but Silvally-Flying just can't do that. Recoilless Brave Birds is fun and all, but things like Weavile, Electrics, Kart, Blaceph, Garchomp, Melmetal, Heatran ect ect, just hit too hard and Silvally struggles to either hit first or hard enough to beat them.
:ss/silvally-ghost:
Silvally-Ghost

Potential:
Yes
Literally the most powerful physical ghost type move in the game, combined with Ghosts potency to just be able to spam the same move over and over, PLUS having a non-Knockable item meaning Knock Off cant kill it makes a mon that can become a legitamate threat if used right. This thing was the start of my journey to making Project Silvally Files and could end up being a lot of fun, and can hit VERY hard.

Silvally-Ghost @ Ghost Memory
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Flame Charge
- Parting Shot / Substitute

Substitute SD Silvally can be used to just sit on Blissey, or you can Flame Charge on unsuspecting Weaviles. Once Ghostvally is at +2 it's gonna HURT. 2HKOing the likes of Toxapex, Lando-T AFTER Intimidate bringing it to +1, Brotwins stand no chance, Melmetal, Clefable, Heatran, Corviknight, Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, and even Tapu Fini. +2 Ghostvally is a monster that I hope turns out as well as I think it will.
:ss/silvally-grass:
Silvally-Grass

Potential
And immediately we return back to the bad side. Silvally-Grass suffers from the same fate as Silvally-Flying, too many things that can hurt it before it can hurt others. Silvally-Grass also struggles even worse against Heatran, and is weak to U-turn (yuck). It can handle bulky waters with Multi Attack able to take on Fini and the Slowtwins well, but then gets dropped by things like Buzzwole and Heatran.
:ss/silvally-ground:
Silvally-Ground

Potential:
Yes
This is turning into a damn seesaw as we pivot back to yes! Silvally-Ground I believe would have a niche as a bulky ground able to shake off electrics like Koko and Zeraora, even being Knock resistant as to deter Zeraora even more. A 120 BP Ground STAB being literally an unmissable Precipice Blades, and the obvious coverage moves to help against its weaknesses, with good pivoting power means this thing could serve as a very strange Lando as it can even Defog and spread status. Outclassed by Lando-T? Sure. Usable? Sure.

Silvally-Ground @ Ground Memory
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Defog
- Toxic / Thunder Wave / Rest
- Parting Shot
:ss/silvally-ice:
Silvally-Ice

Potential:
No
Sliiide to the left, sliiide to the right, CRISS CROSS. Back to No we go! Silvally-Ice is very similar to Silvally-Electric with the BoltBeam with 1 of them being STAB, decent coverage yada yada, but the difference is in the typing. Although the same concept is present, Ice is a MUCH worse defensive typing than electric, as electric only has 1 weakness while Ice has 4. This means Icevally can't eat nearly as many things as Sparkvally can, which is going to be a major issue when setting up SD. Glacial Lance - 10BP is cool, but it doesn't make up for how bad of a defensive type Ice is.
:ss/silvally-poison:
Silvally-Poison

Electric being weak to Ground is one thing because at least that's its only weakness, but Silvally-Poison just hurts my soul. Weak to both Ground and Psychic means a plethora of moves in the meta hit it hard, and Poison doesn't even hit that hard back. Sure, disposing of Fairies is nice, but Pex and Heatran once again show up to ruin your day. Free Gunk Shots are cool, but that's just it. I doubt Poison will get very far with Steel types being immune.
:ss/silvally-psychic:
Silvally-Psychic

This one interests me. A physical psychic type with a 120 BP STAB means Toxapex no longer becomes an issue in any universe. Once again becoming Knock resistant removes some of Weavile's threat, and a Flame Charge set similar to Spoopvally can be used, although not as effective since Ghost is way more spammable, and Heatran ONCE AGAIN becomes an issue. This will be one that could end up being near the top, but still needs more experimenting.
:ss/silvally-rock:
Silvally-Rock

Rock stacks up so many weaknesses of types that are so potent. Being weak to Water, Fighting, and Ground is a 1-way ticket to hell. You could hit things like Torn-T and Zapdos really hard sure, but if that Zapdos is on a rain team you don't stand a chance. Lando-T loves seeing you as it lowers your attack and hits really hard with EQ. This just isn't gonna work.
:ss/silvally-steel:
Silvally-Steel

Got really close to yes on this, but I'm not fully sold. Steel is such a good type with 10 resistances, plus a 120 BP Steel move would hurt, but we circle back to Tran and Pex. As a defensive option thought could be a good idea with the same rest idea and thunder wave luring in both pex and heatran for good utility to help your teammates. Parting Shot as always is goated as Magnezone cannot trap you as long as you run it. This is SO close to a yes, but I'll hold out on it because of the weakness to ground and fighting scaring me with Grounds almost required on teams while Focus Blast and CC run rampant.
:ss/silvally-water:
Silvally-Water

From one end of possibly to the other, this one barely made the cut into possibly. The reason I put it here is because of the ability to check Heatran, Splashifu, Weavile, and Lando. Being able to check 3/4 S tiers is a great asset. It is outclassed as a bulky water by Pex, Bro, and Fini, but that doesn't change the question of is it usable. This one I doubt will actually make the cut as a good choice, but I can't deny it has at least a very small glimmer of hope with a strong 120 BP Water STAB.
Silvally-Normal

Saving this for last since Silvally Normal is very different from the others. Silvally Normal doesn't need to hold a memory so item access could play a big part in Silvally being good. Scarf, Band, Leftovers to be defensive, the options are huge for Silvally. So much so that I can't even give a set because there is just so many possibilities that I don't know where to start. Definitely going to be the longest experiment of the bunch with tons of potential.

Don't worry, future Silvally Files posts won't be nearly as long as long as this was, but this was to get a foundation. From here on out I'll post my findings probably 2 at a time showcasing what I found it could do and ranking it amongst their brethren. If you saw potential in Silvally, feel free to give 'em a shot and tell me your findings so we can see what Silvally may or may not be capable of, although I don't expect any of these to be like top tier threats, my end goal is to hopefully get a Silvally form at least nominated to the C ranks in the viability rankings.
I absolutely love this post. Very creative and well thought out. I do have 3 forms I disagree with however.

1. Ground: Outclassed by Landorus-Therian due to that lack of an item and it doesn't provide a Ground immunity. Sure it resists Knock Off a little bit but Landorus' intimidate basically does the same thing except it gets Leftovers until that point. However, it can use Ice Beam and use Parting Shot, so I'd give it a Possibly.
2. Rock: Rock IS the best offensive typing. Running a set with SD Multi-Attack and Flame Charge on a Sand team to give Silvally considerable bulk could be very threatening. Flame Charge / SD / Multi Attack / Ice Fang is the main set I'm thinking of, and it doesn't have any easy switch ins. It's probably not worth using at a top level, but just MAYBE. So I'd give it Possibly.
3. Water: Hard No. With so many other water types in the tier with access to items, moves like Natures Madness, Future Sight, Teleport, Knock Off, and Scald among Slowbro, Tapu Fini, and Toxapex, I can't forsee a single reason to use this other than some cheese Tailwind.

Sick analysis, I had a lot of fun reading it! I'd be down to collab with you and try to build Silvally-Normal. I built a Silvally team as one of my first RMTs this gen, and it was a lot of fun to use so I'd love to try to make it work again.

I absolutely love this post. Very creative and well thought out. I do have 3 forms I disagree with however.

1. Ground: Outclassed by Landorus-Therian due to that lack of an item and it doesn't provide a Ground immunity. Sure it resists Knock Off a little bit but Landorus' intimidate basically does the same thing except it gets Leftovers until that point. However, it can use Ice Beam and use Parting Shot, so I'd give it a Possibly.
2. Rock: Rock IS the best offensive typing. Running a set with SD Multi-Attack and Flame Charge on a Sand team to give Silvally considerable bulk could be very threatening. Flame Charge / SD / Multi Attack / Ice Fang is the main set I'm thinking of, and it doesn't have any easy switch ins. It's probably not worth using at a top level, but just MAYBE. So I'd give it Possibly.
3. Water: Hard No. With so many other water types in the tier with access to items, moves like Natures Madness, Future Sight, Teleport, Knock Off, and Scald among Slowbro, Tapu Fini, and Toxapex, I can't forsee a single reason to use this other than some cheese Tailwind.

Sick analysis, I had a lot of fun reading it! I'd be down to collab with you and try to build Silvally-Normal. I built a Silvally team as one of my first RMTs this gen, and it was a lot of fun to use so I'd love to try to make it work again.
Water was definitely on the fence, it actually started as a no, but stayed solely because of its ability to strike the top threats and nothing else.

I fully know Ground is outclassed by Lando haha, but I do believe that there is good potential as a defogger/pivot/knock absorber.

Didn't consider a Stonevally on Sand, that concept interests me a lot. Definitely will test that when experimenting with it.

I'd love any help I can get! hmu on discord, my names the same there as it is here so I should be easy to find!

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
I invite this interesting turn of conversation regarding anti-stall tech. I personally am not on one side or the other, since I think any way of playing and building is and should be valid; though, I am on the team of innovation, and seeing how both sides of the spectrum aim to adapt to one another is fascinating and is something I'm all for!

However, while innovating and sharing, please be sure not to get too excited and post one-liners or sets without further elaboration. Find ways to talk about your discoveries and about how they work, both against stall and maybe even how they perform against other kinds of teams! Answer questions like:

What does my set/core take advantage of?
How does my set/core work?
What other kinds of Pokemon does my set/core pressure and/or beat?
What are its weak points?
What kinds of Pokemon does my set/core pair well with, and why?

Go nuts, though be sure to keep your posts substantive and respectful toward one another, whether you're for or against stall! :blobthumbsup:

Kinda late to the party, but this top 10 discussion seems fun, so for whoever is interested, here's is my very biased rankings:

1. :heatran: Heatran isn't as splashable as some other mons, but I think overall, it is the best in the tier. Nothing wants to switch into magma storm, not even the things that typically check Heatran. Common walls, including those that resist Heatran's STABS, are trapped by Magma Storm, shut down with taunt, and can then be killed with toxic and earth power. The ability to straight up ELIMINATE defensive back bones like blissey, corviknight and toxapex makes Heatran very difficult to deal with.
2. :dragapult: The meta has adapted to better deal with dragapult, but it is still very good. Its high speed, great stab combination and solid coverage make it very splashable. The amount of pressure it can put on opponents with shadow ball is unreal, and it can nuke walls with draco meteor. Fast U-turn is great, allowing it to play around its checks, and physical dragon darts variants are also solid and great for catching opponents off guard.
3. :landorus therian: Is there anything to say that hasn't already been said? Lando can fit on any team. Ground typing, stealth rocks, knock off, physical attack, earthquake, pivoting, defog, these are all things good OU teams need, and Lando has all of them. It's lower than the other two because it isn't as big as a threat, but when it comes to utility, it doesn't get any better than this.
4. :ferrothorn: I hate fighting against ferrothorn, because it is such a pain in the ass to kill. Great defensive stats, great defensive typing and a great ability. Whenever I'm building, I always remember to include fire coverage, because that is the only reliable way to kill it. And under rain, its even tougher. It can set hazards, wear down pokemon with leech seed and toxic, and has knock off. It can also run gyro ball or power whip just to fuck with people who think it's passive.
5. :melmetal: For starters, double iron bash is one of the best attacks in the game. Melmetal differs from other offensive threats by being really slow, but melm's great bulk allows it to take a hit, then hit back. And when it hits back, it hits hard. My favorite set to run on it is assault vest with max attack and spdef evs, as it gives melm enough bulk to live a hit from most of the things that could threaten it, and it still has enough power to hit them hard. It needs some team support, but when you build a team around it as a central threat, melm is one of the best wallbreakers in the tier.
6. :weavile: Hot take, I think Weavile is kinda overhyped. It has two common counters in Buzzwole and Corviknight, and its base 120 attack means it needs some boosting before it can do serious damage. Band is good, but this leaves it very vulnerable to rocks. SD with boots solves this problem, but it needs an opening to set up. That being said, Weavile is still very good. It has great speed, stab knock off is great, and ice shard is great for dealing with things like dragapult.
7. :garchomp: No matter the generation, Garchomp is always good. Although it still can't learn dragon dance, SD+Scale is close enough. Once it gets set up, it's hard to stop, especially if its first scale shot kills its target. While the offensive set is one of the best sweepers in game, the defensive set is pretty good too. Although it lacks good recover, it has stealth rocks and toxic for utility, and fire blast coverage can catch its checks, such as buzzwole, off guard. Both of these sets are commonly used and have different counter play, and it can be hard to guess which set it is.
8. :toxapex: Pex isn't as dominant as it was before, but it is still one of OU's premier walls. The main problem with toxapex is that it is pretty passive and has common checks such as Heatran and Tapu Lele. That being said, its amazing defensive stats, amazing defensive typing and access to recover and regenerator make it very hard to kill. There's a reason why this is one of the most hated mons in the tier.
9. :tornadus therian: Tornadus-T is fast, has solid bulk, good SPA, and regenerator. This makes it pretty versatile. The pivot set has good utility with knock off and defog, regen is great and it can switch into a lot of threats. The nasty plot kicks ass. Torn-T is one of the best nasty plot users, and hits like a truck after set up. The only problem is that it is reliant on low accuracy moves like hurricane and focus blast.
10. :zeraora: I think zera is a somewhat underrated threat in the tier. The volt switch set is a good fast pivot for speed control, that also has knock off utility, but the set that i really enjoyed using is bulk up. This set provides extra power and makes zera a very effective sweeper, whose high speed makes it difficult to revenge kill. Plasma fists is a reliable stab move, and close combat is good for coverage.

Honorable mentions go to :rillaboom: :zapdos: :corviknight: :clefable: :kartana:

Kinda late to the party, but this top 10 discussion seems fun, so for whoever is interested, here's is my very biased rankings:

1. :heatran: Heatran isn't as splashable as some other mons, but I think overall, it is the best in the tier. Nothing wants to switch into magma storm, not even the things that typically check Heatran. Common walls, including those that resist Heatran's STABS, are trapped by Magma Storm, shut down with taunt, and can then be killed with toxic and earth power. The ability to straight up ELIMINATE defensive back bones like blissey, corviknight and toxapex makes Heatran very difficult to deal with.
2. :dragapult: The meta has adapted to better deal with dragapult, but it is still very good. Its high speed, great stab combination and solid coverage make it very splashable. The amount of pressure it can put on opponents with shadow ball is unreal, and it can nuke walls with draco meteor. Fast U-turn is great, allowing it to play around its checks, and physical dragon darts variants are also solid and great for catching opponents off guard.
3. :landorus therian: Is there anything to say that hasn't already been said? Lando can fit on any team. Ground typing, stealth rocks, knock off, physical attack, earthquake, pivoting, defog, these are all things good OU teams need, and Lando has all of them. It's lower than the other two because it isn't as big as a threat, but when it comes to utility, it doesn't get any better than this.
4. :ferrothorn: I hate fighting against ferrothorn, because it is such a pain in the ass to kill. Great defensive stats, great defensive typing and a great ability. Whenever I'm building, I always remember to include fire coverage, because that is the only reliable way to kill it. And under rain, its even tougher. It can set hazards, wear down pokemon with leech seed and toxic, and has knock off. It can also run gyro ball or power whip just to fuck with people who think it's passive.
5. :melmetal: For starters, double iron bash is one of the best attacks in the game. Melmetal differs from other offensive threats by being really slow, but melm's great bulk allows it to take a hit, then hit back. And when it hits back, it hits hard. My favorite set to run on it is assault vest with max attack and spdef evs, as it gives melm enough bulk to live a hit from most of the things that could threaten it, and it still has enough power to hit them hard. It needs some team support, but when you build a team around it as a central threat, melm is one of the best wallbreakers in the tier.
6. :weavile: Hot take, I think Weavile is kinda overhyped. It has two common counters in Buzzwole and Corviknight, and its base 120 attack means it needs some boosting before it can do serious damage. Band is good, but this leaves it very vulnerable to rocks. SD with boots solves this problem, but it needs an opening to set up. That being said, Weavile is still very good. It has great speed, stab knock off is great, and ice shard is great for dealing with things like dragapult.
7. :garchomp: No matter the generation, Garchomp is always good. Although it still can't learn dragon dance, SD+Scale is close enough. Once it gets set up, it's hard to stop, especially if its first scale shot kills its target. While the offensive set is one of the best sweepers in game, the defensive set is pretty good too. Although it lacks good recover, it has stealth rocks and toxic for utility, and fire blast coverage can catch its checks, such as buzzwole, off guard. Both of these sets are commonly used and have different counter play, and it can be hard to guess which set it is.
8. :toxapex: Pex isn't as dominant as it was before, but it is still one of OU's premier walls. The main problem with toxapex is that it is pretty passive and has common checks such as Heatran and Tapu Lele. That being said, its amazing defensive stats, amazing defensive typing and access to recover and regenerator make it very hard to kill. There's a reason why this is one of the most hated mons in the tier.
9. :tornadus therian: Tornadus-T is fast, has solid bulk, good SPA, and regenerator. This makes it pretty versatile. The pivot set has good utility with knock off and defog, regen is great and it can switch into a lot of threats. The nasty plot kicks ass. Torn-T is one of the best nasty plot users, and hits like a truck after set up. The only problem is that it is reliant on low accuracy moves like hurricane and focus blast.
10. :zeraora: I think zera is a somewhat underrated threat in the tier. The volt switch set is a good fast pivot for speed control, that also has knock off utility, but the set that i really enjoyed using is bulk up. This set provides extra power and makes zera a very effective sweeper, whose high speed makes it difficult to revenge kill. Plasma fists is a reliable stab move, and close combat is good for coverage.

Honorable mentions go to :rillaboom: :zapdos: :corviknight: :clefable: :kartana:
I don't think Corv is a counter, not consistently anyways. It loses to banded beat up (to be fair though most things do) and often loses its item switching in leaving it very exploitable. Buzz is a great counter though. Except against NMI Weavile.

I am curious though why you put Rilla in honorable mentions considering how far it fell off.

Silvally-Normal

Saving this for last since Silvally Normal is very different from the others. Silvally Normal doesn't need to hold a memory so item access could play a big part in Silvally being good. Scarf, Band, Leftovers to be defensive, the options are huge for Silvally. So much so that I can't even give a set because there is just so many possibilities that I don't know where to start. Definitely going to be the longest experiment of the bunch with tons of potential.​

As the one idiot who uses Silvally-N in OU, this is my time to shine! =P

momentum.exe (Silvally) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Multi Attack
- Crunch
- Parting Shot
- Explosion

Scarfvally is a bit too weak to be a good revenge killer without Booming - but it's a ludicrous momentum bot. Crunch hits Ghosts, Parting Shot is what you'll be clicking nine times out of ten and STAB Explosion is hilarious.

252 Atk Silvally Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 330-388 (96.7 - 113.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock)

Flamethrower and Ice Beam (with a Naive nature and the last 4 EVs dumped into SpA) are options over Crunch to lure the usual 4x-weak threats, but I usually find smacking Pult Ghosts to be more important.

Last edited:

Storm Zone and I, Pinkacross are declaring war on Stall. Stall has seen a massive increase in usage recently, in all levels of play. Edrala, the current ladder Stall king, reached 200 ELO above #2 mere days ago. Stall utilizes Protect on a variety of pokemon to counter Future Sight, making it unbeatable for many teams. Stall fishes for good matchups, removes almost all thinking and planning from the game, and takes forever. I beseech you all to join us in this battle to put Stall back where it belongs: an inconsistent, crappy, not-worth-it playstyle that will no longer plague the OU ladderers. To do this, we need to start anti-stalling our teams. This thread will tell you how to play against Stall, what cores destroy Stall, and give some anti-Stall teams as a reference. Together, we can kill Stall. When Stall players decide to match up fish after today, their line will get caught up on a log.

Stall has always been and will continue to be my favorite archetype in this game, so I'll be joining the Stall side of the war. Of course, you can never truly cover every possible matchup on Stall: You WILL always lose to certain Pokémon.
In this post I will be providing reasonable counterplay to every Pokémon/Core that has been provided as Stallbreakers

Anti-Stall Cores:
These are some cores that are great for beating Stall, but also good in general and threatening against a wide variety of playstyles. Note that there are other cores that break Stall, but these are some of the most applicable.

1. Future Sight + Setup

+

Future Sight + Swords Dance Kartana / Swords Dance Bisharp / Swords Dance Weavile / Swords Dance Landours-Therian, and others. Many stalls rely on Protect to manage Future Sight, but often can’t take on certain types of setup unless they are dealt with immediately. This is a fatal flaw in all Stall teams. Future Sight + Teleport users are ideal, but Galarian Slowking can also work. Note that Future Sight + Choice Band Kartana can also be quite effective.
:TR34: Light Screen can immensely help out with Future Sight in general, this is made easier by the fact that the kantonian Slowkings never runs any immediate Psychic move and Galarian Slowking has to choose between Psyshock and Future Sight. You can also run dedicated checks to these Pokémon after they set up: Tornadus-Therian for Kartana, Iron Defense Corv/Skarm for Lando, Bish, Weav etc.., Bulk up Buzzwole and Unaware Quagsire or Clefable. There's also another Pokémon you can run, the physical form of copium: Ditto
Ditto discourages any setup attempts with a Scarf set as it threatens to clean up the enemy team by copying the Pokémon with the stat changes. Since the pokémon at hand are notorious for being hard to check defensively, you can outright prevent setup in fear of losing to Ditto after getting a kill.

2. Victini + Tapu Koko

+

Heavy Duty Boots Victini with Will-O-Wisp, Bolt Strike, U-Turn, and V-Create is a very strong pokemon in general but this core also decimates many Stalls. Particularly when paired with Future Sight, this core has no walls whatsoever.
:ss/gastrodon:
Gastrodon completely hardwalls Victini and Tapu Koko, Toxic prevents Calm Mind Tapu Koko from ever reasonably beating you, same with Clear Smog. This only struggles vs Taunt Nature's Madness Koko
:ss/dragonite:
Dragonite hardwalls Victini, pair it along with a ground and even with future sight up this core cannot reasonably break past you.
:ss/hippowdon:
Although pretty garbage it still handles this core very well, pair it with Aromatherapy support for Victini's Will-O-Wisps and only use it when needed.
:ss/shedinja:
Hardwalls any non-toxic koko + most fsight users, use dnite or ground for Victini, play around Fsight like you usually would.

3. Crawdaunt and Volcanion Rain

/
+

Choice Band Crabhammer in the Rain ruins everything. Crunch, Knock Off, and Aqua Jet work well for the next 3 slots so even no-item or previously knocked Toxapex drops. This super powered Aqua Jet is also a nightmare for more offensive teams to deal with. Choice Specs Volcanion on Rain is also near unwallable.
Crawdaunt is rough, Itemless Tangrowth is able to reasonably beat most of its sets that's all I have to say.
For Volcanion, one could run a Dragonite once again, or run Assault Vest Reuniclus to scout out the Volcanion set when needed. Storm Drain Gastrodon hardwalls Specs Volcanion although you lose out on Sticky hold. Shedinja also provides an excellent check to Volcanion as long as you scout what move it is going to use.

4. Tapu Lele

Many Tapu Lele sets threaten Stall. Life Orb with Calm Mind, Psyshock, Moonblast / Draining Kiss and Focus Blast notably ruins many Stall teams. Heavy Duty Boots or Assault Vest sets with Future Sight and Thunderbolt are also very threatening to many Stalls. Choice Specs is also great, though all Tapu Lele sets are walled by Shedinja (other than Specs Shadow Ball, which also gets Jirachi).
Fucking hell I hate this thing, my best advice for this is to run Assault Vest Reuniclus or Shedinja, but you must still watch out for Choice Specs Shadow Ball Tapu lele which specifically targets these two, same advice for Future Sight lele although it makes misplaying against Fsight even more punishing.

5. Choice Band Tyranitar

Choice Band Tyranitar with Stone Edge, Crunch, Ice Punch, and a filler move like Assurance, Heavy Slam, or Fire Punch runs through 100% of Stall teams. It also auto kills Shedinja, which is nice. Tyranitar is also a great Ghost resist that invalidates Blacephalon and helps against Zapdos, so it’s not too hard to fit onto a team.
CB TTar is a toughie, It's best to scout it out with Protect or a Regenerator Pokemon to properly play around it. You can also use Buzzwole to straight up beat it (But you have to keep Buzzwole healthy).
To avoid being too dented by TTar it's best to run good hazard removal to assure yourself an easier time against it.

6. Future Sight + Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike

+

Urshifu can’t be Protected on due to Unseen Fist, making this pair very strong. Choice Band even lets Urshifu OHKO many usual Protect pokemon. This core is vulnerable to Shedinja, although you can run Flamethrower over Slack Off on Slowbro/Slowking to catch Shedinja on the switch.
:ss/Shedinja:
:TR34: Light Screen
:ss/dragonite:

All I have to say about this really, you can also stay in on Urshifu with Toxapex to recover off the Close Combat damage, which lets you survive future sight

7. Beat Up

/

Choice Banded Weavile and Bisharp with Beat Up are extremely threatening, able to 2HKO Toxapex and threaten walls like Buzzwole and Tapu Fini with Iron Head from Bisharp and Poison Jab and Triple Axel from Weavile. If these are played well and the team you’re using has a strong Beat Up, these two can be devastating. Stall, and every other team, really has no answer.
Beat up is only effective earlygame, my advice is to try your best to spread around any status so that the statused Pokemon can't contribute to the beat up. Since we're talking in the context of an early game, Beat up resists like Buzzwole and Clefable do very well especially if provided with a Pokemon to scout the Beat Up like Regenerator Toxapex.

8. Alakazam

+

Nasty Plot Alakazam with Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, and Expanding Force absolutely runs through Stall. Most Stalls just lose to the pressure it puts on. I recommend Focus Sash, which helps Alakazam be more consistent against other playstyles, but Life Orb can be used to pack an extra punch against bulkier teams.
I;.. UH.. I *flips through pokedex* I UH I UH I UMMM UHHHH I UHH
moving on

9. Galarian Zapdos

Choice Band and Protective Pads Taunt both work well, Choice Band a bit more so. Galarian Zapdos is a great pokemon in general, but the way it forces Stall teams to either deal with having hazards up or taking on a +2 Choice Band Galarian Zapdos puts on immense pressure. Rocks, Spikes, and Galarian Zapdos is a recipe to defeat many Stalls.
Slowbro, Zapdos and Toxapex can scout out its moves to properly wall it, If played properly then Gzap will eventually die itself from Hazards and Brave bird recoil, helmet damage in the case of band. Play around Fsight just like you would any non-shifu mon.

10. Taunt Tornadus

Both Taunt with Nasty Plot and Taunt Knock Off sets are very threatening against Stall teams. Just make sure to run 8 HP on Nasty Plot Taunt sets so they reliably beat Blissey.
Not enough experience with this, may be nice to run a Zapdos to beat it

11. Guts

/

Conkeldurr and Heracross are difficult to fit onto a team, but they both shred Balance and Stall. Close Combat Conkeldurr in particular ruins Stall when used alongside Facade and Knock Off. There is simply no wall. Conkeldurr’s Mach Punch provides very useful priority, making it a bit easier to fit onto a team than Heracross.
This is an example of Pokemon you will always lose to no matter what you do, but this is aided by the fact that Pokemon whose sole purpose is to beat Defensive cores without any defensive utility or speed are not very used, so you'll never really see them.

12. Mold Breaker

/

Mold Breaker setup pokemon can’t be stopped by Unaware walls, and they also ignore Shedinja’s Wonder Guard. This makes them very threatening to Stall. SD Excadrill can work pretty well on a Hazard Stack, it gives dual utility of Rapid Spin and being an Electric immunity, very solidly answering Tapu Koko and Regieleki. Haxorus is harder to fit but it ruins many bulky teams with Life Orb and a Swords Dance set with Close Combat, Poison Jab, and Scale Shot.
Excadrill is such a joke to wall you physically cannot lose to it on Stall I shouldn't have to explain how to beat it, you don't need to rely on Unaware to beat it. I've never played vs. Haxorus to be frank but I do know that it's used solely because of its Stallbreaking capabilities, so refer to the Ditto paragraph again. Otherwise I don't think you can reasonably beat this unfortunately.

13. Trick

/
+

Tricking, specifically Choice Scarf (although Choice Specs, Choice Band, Tricky Barb, and Black Sludge can all be effective) can threaten Stall immensely. However, Sticky Hold Gastrodon shuts down almost every Trick user, making this a somewhat inconsistent way of countering Stall.
Like mentioned, Sticky Hold Gastrodon shuts this down, alternatively running Black Sludge or Tricky Barb Clefable can deter tricking anything in the first place! (In the case of Clef you can literally just trick the scarf again.)

This was a fun post to write, the teams provided are good and I honestly do applause giving advice on how to beat stall as many tend to struggle to dent it, of course though I'll never let my favorite archetype go down without a fight so I wanted to provide this as a little comeback. At the end of the day, Stall is the most enjoyable archetype for me to play and especially to build.

Last edited:
Regarding Alakazam + Lele cores, something to try is a combination of AV Slowking, Sdef Scizor ( yes, this mon is still good, you cowards) , Jirachi, Restalk (possibly with NP) Sdef Galarian Moltres, Sdef Corvi ( unless Shed Shell is run, Pdef is honestly unviable for me), Shedinja and Ditto. You don't need all of them, just one of the Zam checks and one Lele one. Sdef U-Turn Steel + Ditto probably is optimal combination, since the threat of Ditto will disuade both Lele and Zam from boosting, therefore alliviating the pressure on the steel Mon.

Gotta say I'm loving the resistance from Stall. Mainly how it's pretty flimsy resistance. The truth is, 70% of Stalls will lose to well constructed teams that have the cores above, and there is absolutely nothing they can do about it. Many replies with counters to the previously mentioned cores assume ideal circumstances: walls at 100%, no hazards, no status, etc. Most people don't consider Stall when they build. If that changes, Stall will basically die as a ladder viable playstyle, and nobody can prevent that. The question is: will the OU playerbase start building their teams to counter Stall? If they do, Stall will be terrible. No creative sets or innovation can prevent that. Stall is the biggest match up fish of all playstyles, and thus it wins or loses in Teambuilder. So for those posting pro-Stall analysis, know that Stall teams will still be losing the vast majority of the time when faced against well built teams with Galarian Zapdos, Tapu Lele, Crawdaunt, etc. Do feel free to innovate but whether Stall survives as a playstyle on ladder or not depends entirely on what the playerbase decides to do or not do. No amount of wierd suggestions like Scizor or Audino are going to help (in fact, I do hope stalls begin to run these pokemon more, it makes them a lot easier to win vs). And remember, for every odd wall, there are 10 strange stall breakers too. :) Keep innovating, lads. It's up to us to run anti-Stall teams, denying Stall players wins and overtime forcing a metagame change. Let mindless 300 turn games be a thing of the past!

I started playing in Generation VI and had been a stall enthusiast ever since, but things changed in SS.
Slow (twins) pivot + offensive HDB pivot makes really limited progress (I'm not saying hazards dependence is a positive or negative thing), Future Sight + Breaker has really become something that plays against the wall beyond the obvious trappers.
Following, the very dependence of stall teams on using HDB/Shed Shell on half or more of the team prevents them from taking advantage of other items such as Rocky Helmet, Leftovers and Eviolite.
So stall becomes something of little objectivity and ends up being left aside, to the point that people no longer need to prepare against it.
For my own example, I always liked to play suspects with stall teams because of consistency, but it happened that Kyurem was the first time I decided to go for another team style because it was more comfortable and practical.
Of course, there is always one or another team/player but it seems to me that we are in a cycle where the unexpected becomes exploitable and then we see an increase, which will likely recede as players adapt.
In fact, innovation is interesting from both sides, and if there are any stall users who want to share how they make progress, please let us know.
Maybe my post was a bit generic, I didn't want to leave my birthday blank I just wanted to express my point of view. Have a good day.

Special Movepool
It gets the pledge moves as well, I think. The only relevant one being Grass Pledge, its only non-Multi-Attack Grass move. I used to run… mixed Silvally-Ground (bullied pex, Ice Beam baited Lando) back when Swampert was a relevant Water/Ground. I think Grass Pledge would do around 85 with 252 SpA? Maybe more? Cool set to catch Gastrodon nowadays, but no idea how much it does. Even so, Gastrodon takes pretty solid chip from things it wants to check, so Grass Pledge on special sets is a pretty solid surprise factor because you don’t reveal your ability to do the Grass damage.

Never mind about the other pledge moves, not that they matter. The only pledge move it gets is Grass Pledge, for some reason, but Water and Fire Pledge would still be unusable since it has Flamethrower and Surf. But why didn’t they just give it Energy Ball???

Last edited:
Coral's Shitmon Reviews
i play this tier alot and like 90% of my teams have at least one C rank/UR mon which puts me in a semi unique positon of having used a significant portion of the pokedex in the OU tier so i thought i'd share the knowledge with you guys to save you time, i guess. i'll go from NFE upwards (imo everything in LC is inarguably outclassed, sorry). whether you're a poketuber looking for good clickbait mons you haven't tried yet, a Youngster Joey who refuses to use legendaries, or an OU veteran who has also not touched grass in forever that wants something different to spice their teams up, I've got just the post for you. (idk shit about low tiers so i won't be discussing how good they are in their home tier, sorry)
Colour guide:
I recommend trying this mon! It almost has a niche!
At a stretch, you could justify using this mon, it'll be okay
Good meme, bad
Completely outclassed ,sorry friend. Use it if it's your favourite :)
:Corsola-Galar: - not bad but hates Toxic and Knock Off being everywhere. worth trying for style points :3
:Cosmoem: - 1300s slowbro without regen
:Haunter: - there are better options for ghost spam, but if you're running mono ghost for fun i think this is actually a decent choice. No reason to use if you don't have Gengar, though, the ground immunity isn't worth the speed drop when you can't even take neutral hits. Don't waste your time with Eviolite here, Specs or Scarf only.
:Magneton: - zone but worse except for its speed - if you really wanna use it try scarf.
:Pikachu: - fun meme. light ball doesn't save its 55/50 attacking stats and 90 is a bad speed stat for OU.
:Piloswine: - this mon is okay, it's bulkier than mamo so if you ever feel like running AV mamo with rocks here's what you get. not good but usable.
:Raboot: - S+ if you're mimikyu stardust, mid if you're not. it's a fun mon that can catch opponents off guard but again 94 speed is awkward.
:Rhydon: - use Rhyperior (or a good ground type) instead. not a huge downgrade if you're running mono NFE, i guess.
:Sneasel: - one of the best NFEs imo, it lets you run two Weaviles (which we all know is a top 5, if not top 3 mon rn). worth a try :]
:Type_Null: - not good and not fun
:Wartortle: use white herb blastoise instead.

:Accelgor: - gets 2 spikes up, with the option for tspikes, too. it's fine.
:Appletun: - glad to have a grass type that 1v1s tran, but it's way too passive in practice.
:Arctovish: - legitatimely a threat. Arctozolt is better but you can use both if you wanna hard commit to hail. One of the most used ZU mons in last :month's usage.
:Avalugg: - stall mon, switches into zolt and weave. idk much more than that, is probably ok if you're good at stall
:Corsola: - 10/10 for style points, 1/10 for viability. the only regenerator mon with rocks, and can 1v1 tran with AV and wins vs Torn-T longterm.
:Cursola: - i'm biased again but i think this mon's actually good on TR. pick 4 from meteor beam, earthpower, icebeam, shadow ball and burning jealousy, make its 145 special attack skyrocket higher than a Lunala with a Quiet nature and bring it in ideally vs a special attacker and you'll get a kill easily. if you're looking for some TR heat i'd highly recommend this. fun fact, my cursola team got used in a freezai vid once where he lost with it
:Ditto: - already ranked on VRs you all know this mon. try quick claw if you haven't already.
:Drednaw: - I built Drednaw rain and it was okay. Head Smash is cool, Water/Rock coverage is cool with Superpower for Ferro but it kinda needs an SD. very unreliable and not worth using over skewda unless you're just going for style points
:Dugtrio:- build a time machine for this one. great partner for volcarona.
:Leafeon:, :Malamar: - don't waste your time tbh. both bad
:Meowstic: - underrated screens setter imo, yawn and prankster and pretty nice to have. still, it competes with the likes of koko/leki/grimm and even espeon/klefki so overall it's just ok.
:Ninetales: - it's okay. 81 special attack will let you down. just use torkoal...
:Politoed: - looks cuter than pelipper, can't pivot.
:Pyukumuku: - had to give a shoutout to the GOAT of The Corsola Reef draft league team, but in OU it's pretty awful without drypass. maybe does something for stall, probably not.
:Shedinja: - already ranked in VRs for its stall niche, make sure to use Flame Orb to make yourself immune to Toxic!
:Shiftry: - fun alternative to venusaur. Solar Blade and fast Knocks are cool, and 100 attack isn't bad. much harder to setup Growths from my experience, though
:Shuckle: - sets webs, but don't use webs
:Silvally-Ground: (GROUND)- may be my best performing ZU mon so far. defog multiattack partingshot then icebeam or flame is the set i'd go for, with max hp max spdef so you end up with a slightly specially bulkier Lando that takes knocks better, resists rock and gets grassy terrain recovery. not better but not much worse.
Turns out it's an NU mon. oops. Will move this to my follow up post when that happens.
:Torkoal: - already ranked, sun is one of the most fun archetypes imo, would highly recommend.
:Uxie: - fine as a TR setter. I prefer Cress in Uxie's role, though
:Vanilluxe: - epic mon, best specially offensive ice type, can set screens. good if you want 2 hail setters or just wanna click strong ice moves without using any of the good mons.
:Wigglytuff: - finally, a reliable (ish) dragapult switchin. use clef instead.

i will probably make a follow up post with PU and NU mons too at some point in the future.

Last edited:
For my anti stall brethren, let me inform you of the threat that Mienshao is with future sight/misty terrain support. More longevity as a cc spammer than Urshifu, as well as the ability to knock off all the birds (terrain keeps it from getting static/flame body procked on too :) ) and barely give a shit about rocky helmet.
Paired with zeraora, mienshao does an excellent job at whittling down Z's ground type hard counters (lando), as well as enjoying the speed tier support from zeraora.

I'm mainly posting this because I've considered Mienshao an underrated OU threat since it was placed in RU, now that some people complain that the UU ban was wack and a war on stall is commencing it's finally my time to sing the praises of this pokemon.

https://pokepast.es/d8500d090b79dee8

Note:
Whirlpool fini might be better, really just your preference. Slowking coverage and Mandibuzz can be messed around with as well.

:Corsola: - 10/10 for style points, 1/10 for viability. the only regenerator mon with rocks, and can 1v1 tran with AV and wins vs Torn-T longterm.
If we're going all in on bad Pokemon for style points Corsola is actually pretty neat. You gotta pair it with Hippowdon for the sand bonus but this dumb rock is better than you'd expect. Which is still bad, but at least it can be functional low on the ladder. It's actually specially bulkier than Toxapex except it isn't vulnerable to Future Sight.

252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Corsola in Sand: 100-118 (29.9 - 35.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery *Scald 3HKOs*

252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Corsola in Sand: 109-130 (32.6 - 38.9%) -- 10% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Corsola in Sand: 49-58 (14.6 - 17.3%) *Switch in, set up rocks, then fuck off to something else with no fear*

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Corsola in Sand: 132-156 (39.5 - 46.7%) *Heal 100% with Regen + 2 turns of Lefties*

0 SpA Slowking Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Corsola in Sand: 66-78 (19.7 - 23.3%)

252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Corsola: 152-182 (45.5 - 54.4%)

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Corsola in Sand: 117-138 (35 - 41.3%)

252 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Corsola in Sand: 40-48 (11.9 - 14.3%)

252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Corsola in Sand: 76-90 (22.7 - 26.9%)

If you have huge balls run it with AV so it can function when sand subsides, or to do ridiculous things like being 5HKOed by Modest 252 Heatran Earth Power in sand. But then you lose out on rocks and Corsola has virtually zero offensive ability outside Mirror Coat. Corsola also gets Whirpool + Toxic which is funny but also better done by almost literally every other water type.

Then again if you're even slightly considering Corsola you probably don't give a shit and should run it regardless.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
1648782319836.png

As everyone knows, Mandibuzz is all the rage in recent weeks, in part due to a buff in Big Pecks. It doesn't take an expert to know with its Nasty Plot-boosted Hurricanes and Fighting-coverage granted through Big Pecks giving it 3 turns of super-powered attacks and an immunity to weight-based attacks, that it will really give you a tough time. Of course, that's not to undersell its solid defensive utility too, being able to pivot into Dragapult and Kartana, and begin wreaking havoc. We are all too familiar with how it just simply will not knock off its shenanigans, turning in the face of adversity every chance it gets, while also having the ability to be immune to Shiinotic's Spore.

With its superb defensive profile and its great boosting abilities granted by Big Pecks, it's a truly secret pillar of the tier and is something we feel has been massively underrepresented over the past few months, as indicated by the OU VR shift. As such, the OU moderation team felt it to be especially pertinent that we begin to spark discussion on it. So, here are some fun questions to really jog your brains regarding Mandibuzz's foul play.

1: What are your thoughts on offensive Mandibuzz? What kinds of Pokemon have you paired it with?
2: What is your favorite Mandibuzz set? What do you feel that it's been good in handling?
3: What are your thoughts on Fighting-coverage and how badly do you think it puts the supposed counter, Tyranitar, out of commission?
4: What have you run to beat Mandibuzz?
5: Do you think Mandibuzz is broken? Why or why not?

Happy Friday, gang!

1: What are your thoughts on offensive Mandibuzz? What kinds of Pokemon have you paired it with?
2: What is your favorite Mandibuzz set? What do you feel that it's been good in handling?
3: What are your thoughts on Fighting-coverage and how badly do you think it puts the supposed counter, Tyranitar, out of commission?
4: What have you run to beat Mandibuzz?
5: Do you think Mandibuzz is broken? Why or why not?
1. Offensive Mandibuzz now having this tight hold on the metagame is kinda of scary. The dark and fighting coverage is very similar to how Urshifu-Single-Strike felt and the presence is felt just the same. As with that Mandibuzz has a really good partner in Urshifu's old partners Slowbro and Slowking! Able to abuse those same FuturePort strats to strangle any defensive answer you think possible!
2. Most people tend to run the normal NP-Hurricane-FightingBigPecksCoverage-Roost set to setup and sweep easily, but everyone misses out on one of its biggest buffs.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Hurricane
- Hyper Beam
- Doom Desire

With the incredible Big Pecks giving it incredible fighting type attacks when overlapped on top of Hyper Beam, many people miss the potential in its new move Doom Desire, able to bypass resists from Fairies on both the fighting and flying spectrum and use a powerful attack to OHKO the likes of Unaware Clefable, and utilizing the underused mechanic of big pecks allowing it to bypass the charge turns!
3. Tyranitar was an S tier threat before, but with Mandi the way it is I don't think it can stay on its high horse anymore. Unfortunately Ill probably be nomming Tyranitar to UR really soon.
4. Obviously I have to go with the only other S tier pokemon!

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Haze
- Recover

Theres a reason this thing is S+++. Able to haze away Mandis boosts and slowly wear it out of Big Pecks until it is forced to swap. Theres a reason people advocate for this things ban as stall is still overwhelming in the tier.

5. Ban it now. It and Pex need to go so that we can have our healthy metagame back. We also need to be retesting things like Magearna from Ubers since tbh it loses to Heatran so its probably not even a B tier threat.

(On a side note this gave me a good laugh, can't wait to see what dumb stuff you guys come up with next year its always fun)

Without mega pokemon like Diancie or gardevoir nothing is safe from mandibuzz due to dexit. The few thing's that can beat it break ou and are rightfully ubered. So how do we deal with it?

My answer is try pp stalling it with umbreon but that only work's with non offensive mandibuzz and umbreon is set up fodder for common mandibuzz partner clefable.

I dont know guys? What have you guys done to try and check mandi?

92FE75CA-E1B9-40EC-AE85-9A72625C3C7E.jpeg

bruh they really called it Vulgina ☠☠☠

Some say there are only two inevitable things in this universe. The first is Finchinator using the latest Harry Styles album cover as his profile picture. The second, of course, is getting 6-0d by Mandibuzz. Let’s explore some of the top sets for this metagame-defining menace.

Dabuz (Mandibuzz) @ Choice Band
Ability: Weak Armor
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- U-Turn
- Bone Rush / Steel Wing

Bandibuzz is the flagship set, we all know it well. Its STAB combo is godlike, its pivoting prowess is second to none, and it takes a steaming shit on would-be checks such as Heatran and Clefable with its excellent coverage. There is no counterplay. Give up.

ManDababy (Mandibuzz) @ Choice Specs / HeavyDuty Boots
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off / Nasty Plot / Roost / U-Turn

Physical walls are seldom prepared for the wrath of special Mandibuzz. Outclassing low-tier garbage such as Galarian Moltres, Chadibuzz over here actually has usable non-STAB moves. Weavile’s frosty ass gets cooked by Heat Wave and Tapu Fini gets Knocked or Turned on all day long. And god help anyone who runs into non-choices sets, which are nigh immortal with Roost or set up on everything with Nasty Plot.

Mandibussy (Mandibuzz) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Adamant Nature
- Swagger
- Psych Up
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off

Too many clowns on the ladder think they’re safe against the goated vulture only to get clapped by this lord set. GameFreak was too scared to give Mandibuzz Swords Dance but it doesn’t give a Dark/Flying fuck. It swags on those hoes, copies the boost, and goes on a rampage. Easy money. Truly unstoppable.

Do it for the Vulture (Mandibuzz) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Mean Look
- Air Slash

In the War on Stall, this is the nuclear option. Shit 6-0s on preview, what else is new for this satanic turkey. Every passive mon out there gets trapped and killed effortlessly. Not much else to say here, anyone who runs into this demon set should forfeit their game, their account, their bitches (jk they don’t have any), and their life.

Thanks for reading. If you’ll excuse me, I’ll be worshipping at the shrine to Omari P, located at the corner of Agency Avenue and Brave Browser Boulevard.

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
Personally, Mandibuzz is a historically problematic Pokemon that has been an issue in both teambuilding and in battle for the past year or two. I cannot believe only now people are realizing that Mandibuzz is a heavily problematic Pokemon. It’s defensive stats simply make it too effective of a wall against the plethora of the non-super effective metagame, and the Pokemon that do beat Mandibuzz are much easier to account for in the builder than ever. The usage of threats like Tapu Lele is solely because of Mandibuzz’s grip on the tier. Personally, I would want to see a quick ban as immediately as possible. However, after some recent thinking, a suspect test is probably better.

Given the gravity of the Mandibuzz situation, I think it’s time we discussed the elephant in the room: allowing Stratagem into the OU metagame. We normally don’t allow CAPs into our standard tiers and we normally don’t drop a Pokémon into the meta to check a broken threat. However, given how vital Mandibuzz is to the balance of our metagame, I think the offensive pressure provided by meteor beam spam might be the only thing that can save us now. God help us if it is deemed too drastic a measure.

Last edited:
The impossible task of OHKOing a Mandibuzz

As we all know, Mandibuzz is the meta-defining Pokemon of the Gen 8 OU tier. Its immunity to ground allows it to effortlessly take 0 from Landorus-Therian's Earthquakes as it threatens to OHKO many sets in response (252+ Atk Choice Band Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. Lvl 95 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 303-357 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO).

But contrary to popular belief, its offense sets are not its only exceptional traits - defensively, Mandibuzz CANNOT be OHKOed.
Its "weaknesses" are Electric, Fairy, Ice and Rock, all impossibly rare offensive types. But to give the benefit of the doubt, let me show proof of my claim.

Electric Types
On the physical side, Electric types really suck. Their best representatives are Koko, Regieleki, and Pikachu. Let's see how they do against Mandibuzz.
>252+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Wacan Berry Mandibuzz in Electric Terrain: 201-237 (47.4 - 55.8%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO
> 252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Wacan Berry Mandibuzz: 175-207 (41.2 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
>252+ Atk Choice Band Transistor Regieleki Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Wacan Berry Mandibuzz: 211-249 (49.7 - 58.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

These calcs are honestly pathetic, and the threat of an OHKO from uninvested Bone Rushes in response makes them completely unreliable as offensive checks.
(4 Atk Mandibuzz Bone Rush (5 hits) vs. Lvl 95 0 HP / 0- Def Tapu Koko on a critical hit: 280-330 (104.8 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO)

On the special side, Mandibuzz is also able to take any electric attacks.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Xurkitree Zap Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Wacan Berry Mandibuzz: 298-352 (70.2 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Transistor Regieleki Zap Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Wacan Berry Mandibuzz: 300-354 (70.7 - 83.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Okay, sure, Mandibuzz is basically a hard counter to all Electric types, but can any Fairies win the 1v1?

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Mandibuzz: 254-302 (59.9 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(every other fairy is weaker)
no.

ok, what about uhhh Rock types i hear you cry. Well, obviously not. Anything slower than Mandibuzz gets Roosted on, meaning it loses its rock weakness for the turn. this only leaves a few rock types that can attempt at knocking out everyone's least favourite bird.

+1 252 SpA Choice Specs Nihilego Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Charti Berry Mandibuzz: 322-381 (75.9 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Archeops Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Charti Berry Mandibuzz: 297-349 (70 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

spoiler:they all fail.

Fine, maybe you think Ice types can do the job. Weavile is good right? Didn't the dictators of the Smogon elite claim Kyurem was broken? You couldn't be any more wrong.

Not only does it sponge up Kyurem's Blizzards...

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Yache Berry Mandibuzz: 220-261 (51.8 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It can 1v1 Weavile, too.

252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (0 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 396-468 (0 - 0%) -- approx. 0% chance to OHKO

You see, all Mandibuzz needs to do is to Dodge weavile's attacks. You might think "Why doesn't it just use Avalanche?" Well, sure, that's 100% accurate and deals a significant amount of damage, but its low priority leaves Weavile vulnerable to a Rock Smash.

252+ Atk Choice Band Mandibuzz Rock Smash vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Weavile: 292-344 (103.9 - 122.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I, along with the vast majority of the OU community, feel that Mandibuzz's insane offensive AND defensive presence forces too much of an uncompetitive, matchup-fishing, metagame that relies on inaccurate moves hitting or unrealistic critical hits which can simply be prevented with Lucky Chant support. When playing against a Mandibuzz the player is forced to play a guessing game of which berry it's holding, or whether it's a surprise Weakness Policy, Focus Sash, Lum Berry, Quick Claw, etc and that leaves us honest OverUsed players in an unfair position when playing against this beast of a mon. I agree with the proposition of either a quickban or immediate suspect test, and hope it comes soon.

Last edited:
Given the gravity of the Mandibuzz situation, I think it’s time we discussed the elephant in the room: allowing Stratagem into the OU metagame. We normally don’t allow CAPs into our standard tiers and we normally don’t drop a Pokémon into the meta to check a broken threat. However, given how vital Mandibuzz is to the balance of our metagame, I think the offensive pressure provided by meteor beam spam might be the only thing that can save us now. God help us if it is deemed too drastic a measure.
Your idea is nice in theory, but in practice, it will not suffice to keep Mandibuzz in check.

Unfortunately, Mandibuzz can extremely easily deal with Choice Specs Strategem...
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8customgame-1543593928

And it leaves the 1v1 against Meteor Beam Strategem with low health at the cost of insanely boosted stats...
And this relies on Meteor Beam landing, which, due to Mandibuzz's agile and cunning nature, is extremely unlikely to hit since Mandibuzz can simply fly over the Meteor Beam. As proven by the history of banned mons and abilities in the OU tier, extremely unreliable checks are not considered checks and hence do not justify broken Pokemon staying in the tier.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8customgame-1543598246

With the influx of Big Pecks Mandibuzz usage, many have been left aghast at its astronomical power and capcity to tank hits from all Pokémon in the meta. In this post, I am bringing light to some underrated Pokémon that can neutralize Mandibuzz's attempts to defeat your team.

:dunsparce: Dunsparce may seem like nothing more than a funny snek at first, but it is actually a massive threat. With a Focus Sash (hazards never go up because of how good a defogger Mandibuzz is), it can take even a +6 Dark Pulse and then proceed to paralyze Mandibuzz. You may ask, however, how this helps in beating the bird. After all, Mandibuzz isn't exactly known for its outstanding speed. The answer is hax. With Serene Grace Headbutt flinches, Dunsparce can slowly wittle down Mandibuzz until it dies. You can pair this with Jirachi if you're afraid of the Nasty Plot Tailwind set, which will get outsped even with a Timid nature. If they're Lum Berry Mandibuzz, report for cteaming.
:whimsicott: Whimsicott has many valuable support tools. Among them is the Prankster ability, giving you +1 Priority to every non attacking move. From there on, you can use Worry Seed, removing the fearsome Big Pecks from Mandibuzz and giving it the comparisly worse Insomnia. This gives you a turn to freely setup with your own Mandibuzz, probably winning you the game.
:xbutton: The
X Button is the most reliable Mandibuzz answer in the metagame. Its quirky ability, Forfeit, is like a Run Away that allows you to get out of player battles. This way, you can just not face Mandibuzz and avoid its ferocious wrath. There unfortunately seems to be a glitch with this strategy where you will lose ladder points when doing this, however. I hope this gets fixed soon so we finally get a reliable Mandibuzz answer.
And this was my guide on how to beat Mandibuzz! Feel free to use this guide to eliminate any chances of the bird sweeping your team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)