Metagame SS OU Metagame Discussion Thread v7 (Usage Stats in post #3539)

1. For anything listed above, is there anything you'd like to add as to why this mon saw an increase or decrease in usage?

For me it's still Slowking-Galar. It's a good mon I get that but I just don't get why its so popular when I personally think theres a lot better options out there.

2. What are your favorite sets/moves to use on the above mons?

I mean if it's not obvious already by my 4 posts on this forum already. It's the Ocelzolt aka the definitive mixed Zolt set invented by myself.

3. Are there any new moves/sets you've been using that have been performing well?

I've been trying out Scyther a bit. I genuinely think he has a niche especially after the Phero ban. He has a nice speed tier, stab U-turn off 110 attack and Technician Duel Wingbeat and a quad resistance to Fighting.

4. Do you have any predictions for what may increase or decrease in the next few weeks?

With the Phero ban I can bug types, normal types and even Kartana rising. Possibly Latios too.

5. Do you think Latios and Urshifu-R will fall to UU? Will anything else drop with them?

I hope not. Both mons are some really damn good mons especially Latios which the specs set hits like a motherfucking truck.

6. Are there any mons you could see rising to OU next month?

nope.

7. Have you tried Hawlucha or Volcarona? How did they perform for you?

Tried Volc too much 4mss for me which made it not the best.

8. How are you liking OU? Is it fun to play and build in, and are there any notable threats/issues in the metagame that may be too much for OU?

I'm liking OU a lot because of thesheer viability of mons being used. Hell like I said I'm trying to use Scyther right now and it ain't doing bad. Reminds me a lot of Gen 4 OU.

As for issues? Urshifu-S. That things gotta fucking go.

9. Seeing as how we're at the end of the year, what has been your favorite memory from Gen 8 OU?

Peaking higher than I have in OU in like 6 years. Plus the invention of the Ocelzolt which I will spam on these forumns tikthe end of time.

10. Have a nice day and happy holidays
!

You too :)

1. For anything listed above, is there anything you'd like to add as to why this mon saw an increase or decrease in usage?

For me it's still Slowking-Galar. It's a good mon I get that but I just don't get why its so popular when I personally think theres a lot better options out there.

2. What are your favorite sets/moves to use on the above mons?

I mean if it's not obvious already by my 4 posts on this forum already. It's the Ocelzolt aka the definitive mixed Zolt set invented by myself.

3. Are there any new moves/sets you've been using that have been performing well?

I've been trying out Scyther a bit. I genuinely think he has a niche especially after the Phero ban. He has a nice speed tier, stab U-turn off 110 attack and Technician Duel Wingbeat and a quad resistance to Fighting.

4. Do you have any predictions for what may increase or decrease in the next few weeks?

With the Phero ban I can bug types, normal types and even Kartana rising. Possibly Latios too.

5. Do you think Latios and Urshifu-R will fall to UU? Will anything else drop with them?

I hope not. Both mons are some really damn good mons especially Latios which the specs set hits like a motherfucking truck.

6. Are there any mons you could see rising to OU next month?

nope.

7. Have you tried Hawlucha or Volcarona? How did they perform for you?

Tried Volc too much 4mss for me which made it not the best.

8. How are you liking OU? Is it fun to play and build in, and are there any notable threats/issues in the metagame that may be too much for OU?

I'm liking OU a lot because of thesheer viability of mons being used. Hell like I said I'm trying to use Scyther right now and it ain't doing bad. Reminds me a lot of Gen 4 OU.

As for issues? Urshifu-S. That things gotta fucking go.

9. Seeing as how we're at the end of the year, what has been your favorite memory from Gen 8 OU?

Peaking higher than I have in OU in like 6 years. Plus the invention of the Ocelzolt which I will spam on these forumns tikthe end of time.

10. Have a nice day and happy holidays!

You too :)
nothing much can wall QD mosa succesfully without much sd def investment other than glowking so yeah thats the increase. Aswell as beating tox and threatinging clefable, all while providing t spike absorbtion.

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
hopefully not pheromosa. we need good strong offense in OU, to balance out the slow, bulky stall and defensive balance teams.
feeling alright, but could be way better. fun to build, not fun to play, too much slow, bulky messy battles that drag on. Clefable has me worried, since its only weak to poison and steel, but also has great defenses, moves, and abilities to act as a third leg. Toxapex is still on my mind, practically rent free, but is taking a back seat as of late, since I havent been seeing it much lately.
finally, the despot of OU, landorus. I understand the reasoning why usage doesnt make a brokemon, but when you can slap it on a team and compress a ton of shit, it sorta feels unhealthy, not like a super sponge or mewtwo, but like a diversity-lowering, team constricting, sorta broken. role compression has been a cancer imo due to how it makes running one of many turn into running one of one. there's less thats viable, less variance, and really just rubs me the wrong way.

fuck thats longer than i thought. sorry

URSHIFU-THE PILLAR OF OU'S BROKEN OFFENSE
so this is my first post in here and hope some council member sees this, so this is a request for suspecting urshifu-single-strike first as opposed to Magearna and spectrier as this pokemon fuels the threats on OU's offense playstyle.
OVERVIEW
:urshifu: :urshifu-rapid-strike:
Now urshifu looks strong already by its stats and type but its movepool jacks it up. First of all, it has two STAB moves with (effective) 120BP power. Dark/Fighting is an incredible STAB combo especially coming from a 130 base attack stat, both being only resisted by fairy types and certain dual types. STAB close combat is great as it hits 5 types super-effectively .It has strong coverage moves like poison jab and iron head which make up for the fairy weakness.However the demons in its movepool are Its signature move wicked blow and sucker punch. Wicked Blow is a 80BP move which always crits making its BP effectively 120, the critting factor lets it beat every defense boosting pokemon(besides ones with shell armor) and intimidate. Sucker Punch makes this pokes 97 speed deadly as it now can hit everything faster than it with a STAB 70BP move. In terms of boosting moves it has Bulk Up, which is fantastic for its stats.Now if its movepool wasn't ridiculously good it would've just been a top-tier breaker but its ability negates protect so things like clefable and toxapex cant use their protection moves against it.
STRENGTHS
Urshifu Beats defensive pokemon with Choice Band and offensive pokemons with Bulk Up. Its notable preys are
:slowbro: - OHKOed by dark stab and absorbs future sight
:dragapult: - either eating shadow ball or revenging with Sucker Punch.
:spectrier: - beats every set besides Sub disable
Steels weak to fighting :Melmetal: :Ferrothorn: and more- Hitting with STAB Close Combat.
Psychic Types :Tapu-Lele: :Latios: :Slowking-Galar: - Hitting with Wicked Blow
Defensive pokes 2HKOed by neutral STAB :Toxapex: :Hippowdon: :Zapdos: and more - Each one of these is 2HKOed by CB set.
Some big calcs
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex on a critical hit: 157-186 (51.6 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro on a critical hit: 398-470 (101 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
To prove power of sucker 252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cinderace: 219-258 (72.7 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

CHECKS & COUNTERS
Checks-
(i) Defensive

Fairies with recovery :clefable: :Tapu-Fini: - "Checks" as these get blown up by poison jab

:Weezing-Galar: - Need wish support/healing vs Urshifu and is really dogshit in this steel ridden meta

(ii) Offensive
Faster Flying Types :Zapdos-Galar: :Tornadus-Therian: :Zapdos:- Be careful so they are not in sucker range

:Tapu-Koko: - 2HKOed by Wicked Blow so Keep it healthy

Faster Fighting types/sucker resists- Fighting types which are faster offensively check it great.
COUNTER
:Buzzwole:- Yes one pokemon which can beat this poke reliably without fearing anything but Aerial Ace due to its huge defense stat and Typing which resists its STABs. :swole: :swole: :swole: :swole: :swole:

ILLUSION CONFUSION
This pokemons brother, Urshifu-Rapid-Strike :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: look same in Team Preview. This creats confusion for your gameplan as if you picked the wrong shifu you will have a great chance of losing the match. Example:- Letting dragapult die predicting
Urshifu-S and
Urshifu-R sweeping your team rightafter

WHY SUSPECT?
The reason i think this pokemon needs a suspect is how it fuels and makes already dangerous threats stronger. Some Strong Examples-
:Magearna: - killing steels and making a good volt-turn core while also beating all of urshifus Checks/Counters.

:spectrier: - Spect abuses whatever shifu Invites while Shifu kills darks and normals making sure spectrier cleans, also the abundance of urshifu in the meta pressures its checks(dark and normal types) and thus proves them unviable against other teams.

:Melmetal: - Beating fairies while urshifu takes care of the fighting types.

:Cinderace:- Takes care of Clefable with Gunk Shot while shifu breaks its two best checks in toxapex and Slowbro, breaking chomp and other physical dragons. And most of all making a strong volt turn core.

:Rillaboom: - Makes Urshifu not limited to run sucker and urshifu breaking steels while rillaboom kills Tapu-Fini. Also the gimmicky Grassy Seed set baits in and beat Buzzwole.

The fact that all of these already strong threats which become Overly broken due to Urshifu-S and the illusion problem make this pokemon the pillar of OU's broken Offense and thus needs a suspect as its riddance in this tier will make this tier more balanced ,as its "broken" partners will be missing thier supportive piller, and make pokemon such as bisharp and other dark/ghost types regain the place in this meta while not limiting teambuilding. Also this mon very cringe​

Last edited:
So what do you guys think will become more prevalent now that phera is gone? I'm personally think that dragapult will become much better now that it's the fastest ou pokemon again
Personally, I think Zera will make a comeback. Phero stole it's role as a really fast, offensive pivot but now that it's gone it will be a lot more useful. The greater prevalence of ground will hinder it greatly, though.

Reactions: pqs

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Personally, I think Zera will make a comeback. Phero stole it's role as a really fast, offensive pivot but now that it's gone it will be a lot more useful. The greater prevalence of ground will hinder it greatly, though.
I would agree, but Koko currently seems like the best electric pivot at the moment, because it's still able to pivot on grounds as well as having access to fairy stab, trading that for some speed.

Pretty shocked that it got banned by an 85% margin. I didn't bother trying for reqs because I didn't feel that strongly either way, but clearly I was in the minority.
Thinking about it, there's a few things that majorly win out from this ban; Dragapult takes over as the fastest viable pokemon in the tier again, which is very nice for it, as well as the breakers/sweepers that Pult can't revenge kill easily (Magearna and Zarude both spring to mind here). By the same token, Sucker Punch users like Urshifu and Cinderace (who were already pretty strong) are likely to get even better; Unlike Pheromosa, Dragapult gets OHKO'd consistently by them, and is forced to give up coverage for Wisp in order to deal with them. Also, Timid Phero was a huge problem for Sand teams that basically forced Moltres onto them, and with it gone, the biggest Close Combat presser left is Urshifu (which sand is generally pretty well equipped to beat with just clefpex or a similar core), opening up more options for the archetype - Moltres may still remain on top for its ability to better check things like Cinderace and Steelbirds, but I'm interested to see how Sand develops.
As for losers, Moltres and G-Slowking probably aren't that thrilled that one of the things they majorly checked is gone (although both are still very solid pokemon), but Clef, Pex and Fini are hardly going anywhere any time soon. Slowbro is probably kind of upset to lose one of its biggest Futureport partners, but Urshifu still has its back (for now). Buzzwole will also drop off a cliff now that one if its few remaining claims to fame is gone; I don't think Urshifus will often be running Poison Jab when Dragapult exists, so there's not really much reason to use it over clef.
Really, I'd be surprised to see many huge changes to the meta other than Dragapult taking Mosa's place as the Fast Pokemon Of Choice - the only things I can see majorly dropping off are bulky variants of Volcarona and Aegislash (which were both uncommon anyway), and potentially Rillaboom considering that its grassy glides don't do nearly as much to Pult as they did to Phero.
As for the topic at hand, I personally don't think anything will happen with Zeraora - Pheromosa was hardly the problem for it, Lando-T was, and I don't think a whole lot is going to change on that front.

Some of my thoughts on how the ban will impact the meta.

Winners
:dragapult::tapu-koko:
Dragapult is obviously one of the biggest winners from the ban. It becomes the best speed control in the tier once more and basically slots into the bugs role on many teams. Koko could also see some more usage outside of HO as a pivot on teams that don't want to use Pult.
:latios::blaziken:
Its pretty common sentiment that Phero is one of the biggest reasons Latios hasn't been used. Without it, Latios becomes a lot more splashable and has less offensive counterplay. Blaziken becomes a bit easier to use as well due to Phero outspeeding it even after +1 speed.
:dragonite::tapu-lele::kyurem:
Many slower wincons that Phero prevented from getting on the field as reliably will improve in its absence. Losing mosas oppressive speed control will allow the metagame to diversify and let us explore different offensive threats. Kyurem especially is one I think could be really good now that it doesn't have to eat CCs and the metagame has been trending to benefit it.
Losers
:moltres::slowking-galar::volcarona:
All of these guys were used primarily to check Pheromosa. I still think Moltres and Glowking will remain OU mainstays, but Volcarona seems likely to fall down to UU again without the bug mandating its presence.

Don't forget scarf that will back :
Scarf Xurkitree on fire !!
Some Mamoswine ☺
Togekiss !

Last edited:
They said it couldn't be done

:xy/tapu koko:
Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Toxic / Defog
- Volt Switch / U-turn
- Dazzling Gleam​

I've been experimenting with many Urshifu checks, including the likes of Togekiss, Weezing-Galar, and Tapu Fini, and I've found that defensive Koko is actually one of the best, if the not the best, Urshifu check out there, bar Buzzwole. Yeah that's right, it's even better than Clefable (at checking Urshifu). Plus, withPheromosa gone, this thing is even better, as it doesn't have to worry about that giant threat outspeeding it.

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 248 HP / 228 Def Tapu Koko on a critical hit: 132-156 (38.4 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 228 Def Tapu Koko: 132-156 (38.4 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu: 504-592 (147.8 - 173.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The main premise is that, the reason its better than Clefable is simply because it can outspeed Urshifu and threaten to OHKO. That means even if Urshifu used Poison Jab on the switch, and did ~75%, you can still either Roost predicting him to switch, or Dazzling Gleam and OHKO predicting him to stay in. More often than not though, Urshifu is just gonna click the braindead move and you can Roost that off with ease.

Unlike Clefable, who invites fire types like Moltres, Heatran, and Cinderace, or steel types like Ferrothron and Melmetal, Koko will usually invites ground types like Swampert, Nidoking and Hippowdon or Blissey. Maybe a Rillaboom worst case scenario. The difference is that when Clefable is forced to Soft-Boiled the damage from Urshifu (or if Urshifu U-turns), you have these really hard to switch into mons like Melmetal, Heatran, and Cinderace. On the other hand, the bulky ground types aren't that hard to switch into, and can even be Toxic'd if you predict them to put rocks or something. The only troublesome one really is Nidoking.

Other perks: Tapu Koko is actually extremely splashable and can work as a solid speed control, even with only 32+ speed. It can revenge kill that +2 weakened Garchomp or threaten out the Hydreigon, for example. With Toxic, it can spread status pretty well (grass and ground pokemon switching into it), and with Defog, it can reliably defog hazards away without losing too much momentum. It also acts as a solid check to things other than Urshifu, namely Hydreigon, Tornadus-T, Hawlucha which is on the rise, and most importantly, Zapdos. Zapdos in this current meta has been extremely hard to switch into IMO, as somehow the enemy Zapdos has a 100% chance of hitting 5 Hurricanes in a row and confusing my Blissey or Hippowdon at least once. Tapu Koko can take whatever Zapdos dishes and can roost it off.

Other relevant calcs:

252 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 111-131 (32.3 - 38.1%) -- 97.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 248 HP / 228 Def Tapu Koko: 165-195 (48.1 - 56.8%) -- 37.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (in electric Terrain)
252 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 102-120 (29.7 - 34.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 228 Def Tapu Koko: 153-180 (44.6 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Okay people, I want to talk about a certain mon, Galarian Slowking of course, cause that mon is really damn good and has been on the rise for about a month now, and I want to bring up a set that has been doing a lot for me lately, and I feel will get better as time goes on.

Slowking-Galar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Psychic
- Fire Blast / Focus Blast
- Trick

So after a lot of playing around with it, I can safely say that Choice Specs Glowking is actually really good and has a pretty solid place in the metagame. I feel the biggest thing that makes this set better than I really would have expected is the fact that its attacks sting so much more, especially Psychic and even without AV, this mon is still as great defensive utility. Its able to check stuff like Specs Magearna and Latios while being a Toxic Spikes absorber, that has great longevity, that also breaks balance cores very well. Sludge Bomb is harder to switch into because of the increased damage of Specs combined with potential poison, I prefer Psychic over Psyshock since it 2HKOs more targets and really the only reason why you would Psyshock over Psychic would be Blissey, and I don't even think that is safe due to the threat of Trick. Fire Blast and Focus Blast are for nuking the stuff that wall your STABs, mainly Ferrothorn and Melmetal for both. If you want specific targets for Fire Blast, Magearna and Corviknight are the big ones, and as for Focus Blast, it helps with the matchup vs Heatran.

So yeah test it out! I made a team with it as well if you want to also check that out or use it.

Last edited:
Yay now that mosa is gone, let's wait a couple weeks [ hell why not a month?] to suspect test Broken ass Urshifu S. Cause we all know no mosa means a whole new meta that DEFINITELY isn't even better for urshifu S.

Really tho I want this brain dead bear gone ASAP. After he's out i think things will be a lot more fun for everyone. Whenever I use clef or fini, its with urshifu in mind never mosa. So no urshifu should = less fat fairies . Which sounds lovely

The Dragon Master

So you have chosen, Death
is a Pre-Contributor
They said it couldn't be done

Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Toxic / Defog
- Volt Switch / U-turn
- Dazzling Gleam​

I've been experimenting with many Urshifu checks, including the likes of Togekiss, Weezing-Galar, and Tapu Fini, and I've found that defensive Koko is actually one of the best, if the not the best, Urshifu check out there, bar Buzzwole. Yeah that's right, it's even better than Clefable (at checking Urshifu). Plus, withPheromosa gone, this thing is even better, as it doesn't have to worry about that giant threat outspeeding it.

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 248 HP / 228 Def Tapu Koko on a critical hit: 132-156 (38.4 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 228 Def Tapu Koko: 132-156 (38.4 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu: 504-592 (147.8 - 173.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The main premise is that, the reason its better than Clefable is simply because it can outspeed Urshifu and threaten to OHKO. That means even if Urshifu used Poison Jab on the switch, and did ~75%, you can still either Roost predicting him to switch, or Dazzling Gleam and OHKO predicting him to stay in. More often than not though, Urshifu is just gonna click the braindead move and you can Roost that off with ease.

Unlike Clefable, who invites fire types like Moltres, Heatran, and Cinderace, or steel types like Ferrothron and Melmetal, Koko will usually invites ground types like Swampert, Nidoking and Hippowdon or Blissey. Maybe a Rillaboom worst case scenario. The difference is that when Clefable is forced to Soft-Boiled the damage from Urshifu (or if Urshifu U-turns), you have these really hard to switch into mons like Melmetal, Heatran, and Cinderace. On the other hand, the bulky ground types aren't that hard to switch into, and can even be Toxic'd if you predict them to put rocks or something. The only troublesome one really is Nidoking.

Other perks: Tapu Koko is actually extremely splashable and can work as a solid speed control, even with only 32+ speed. It can revenge kill that +2 weakened Garchomp or threaten out the Hydreigon, for example. With Toxic, it can spread status pretty well (grass and ground pokemon switching into it), and with Defog, it can reliably defog hazards away without losing too much momentum. It also acts as a solid check to things other than Urshifu, namely Hydreigon, Tornadus-T, Hawlucha which is on the rise, and most importantly, Zapdos. Zapdos in this current meta has been extremely hard to switch into IMO, as somehow the enemy Zapdos has a 100% chance of hitting 5 Hurricanes in a row and confusing my Blissey or Hippowdon at least once. Tapu Koko can take whatever Zapdos dishes and can roost it off.

Other relevant calcs:

252 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 111-131 (32.3 - 38.1%) -- 97.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 248 HP / 228 Def Tapu Koko: 165-195 (48.1 - 56.8%) -- 37.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (in electric Terrain)
252 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 102-120 (29.7 - 34.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 228 Def Tapu Koko: 153-180 (44.6 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Great post, but question, why does your koko have 248 hp, wouldn't 252 be better?

Great post, but question, why does your koko have 248 hp, wouldn't 252 be better?
On Pokemon that are gonna be switching in and out a lot, you want to have an odd number of HP points. In this case, 248 HP EVs would be 343 HP instead of 344. Stealth Rock takes 12.5% of your HP, so 12.5% of 344 means you lose 43 points on the switch, but if you had 343 HP (248 HP EVs), you would actually lose 42 HP, since pokemon rounds down. In more extreme case like a Charizard who is taking 50% HP from rocks, usually you die on the second switch if you have 400 HP (you take 200 HP each switch). However, if you had 401 HP, you would be taking 200 HP (not 200.5) and so that means on the second switch you would be living with 1 HP instead of dying.

PM me if you have more questions :D

I was trying to find a last member for my stall squad and needed something that could at the same time beat CM Taunt Tapu Fini, Suicune - probably amongst the biggest stallbreakers out there - and remove hazards. Seems undoable, right ? Not for my boy Eldegoss.

1608377238556.png

Eldegoss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Rapid Spin
- Bullet Seed
- Giga Drain

With 60/90/120 Bulk and access to Regenerator, Rapid spin and Grass type, it fills the niche that I described above. Bullet seed is needed because Suicune doesn't care about your 16 PPs Giga drain. While I admit it's probably not good outside that, it can still RS on many things thanks to Regenerator and only feels really bad using if you're against a Ferrothorn. Do not burn me for posting Eldegoss, it is obviously bad but still worth a mention I guess.

EDIT: I was wrong .. Volcanion also beat them and has Defog :psywoke:

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
On Pokemon that are gonna be switching in and out a lot, you want to have an odd number of HP points.
I’d be very careful to avoid saying this. I’m fairly sure you know how the calculation actually works given the rest of your post, but starting off your post with a massive oversimplification of game mechanics like this is just spreading an already-common piece of misinformation.

You are correct to lower its HP in the case of Tapu Koko, as 344 is divisible by 8, but “odd number good” is far from universal. The HP stat you want for Stealth Rock specifically is, in a best-case scenario, one less than a multiple of demominator of the fraction damage they take, so the odd number rule only actually applies if you take 1/2 health from Stealth Rock. If Koko had 342 or 346 health then reducing the HP EVs would harm Koko instead of helping it.

Matters are further complicated in the case of Pokémon with things like Regenerator, Poison Heal and debatably Leftovers/Black Sludge, as they want to have HP stats that ARE divisible by the respective fraction for efficient recovery. For example, Amoonguss should run 252 HP despite 432 being divisible by 8 because 432 is also divisible by both 3 and 16, meaning that by running 248 you reduce both Regenerator and Black Sludge recovery—which will add up much faster/more consistently than Stealth Rock over the course of a game.

Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Toxic / Defog
- Volt Switch / U-turn
- Dazzling Gleam
Hey, cool set !
What do you think adding Roar to make that set phazer
Koko resist actual OU CM users that raise (Suicune, Magearna, and rare Tapu Fini)
+ Roar is same priority as Teleport, can break some wish pass or future sight
+3 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. Koko → 72.8 - 86%
+2 0 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. Koko → 72 - 85.1%
+1 252 SpA Magearna Stored Power (120 BP) vs. Koko → 72.5 - 85.4% (120BP for shift gear + CM)
Modest 252SpA Magearna Fleur Cannon have chance to OHKO without boost
Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Roar / Toxic / Defog
- Volt Switch / U-turn
- Dazzling Gleam

Volt Switch don't make Koko a counter of Sub Suicune, without other mons.
Koko → Volt Switch vs. +2 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune in Electric Terrain: 84-102 (20.7 - 25.2%)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)