SS Random Battle Suspect Process - Dynamax

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • "Dynamax can check Dynamax". I think this is best described in Zephyr Dragon Lord's post: Unfortunately the good that comes from Dynamaxing defensively also confirms a point. That being Dynamaxing offensively is way, way too constricting on the flow of the game. If it's too out of control, a defensive Dynamax on a resist (if you're lucky to get one) is your only hope of tanking a hit. But by the time you've stalled their Dynamax, you're now without your own, and they still have their sweeper. A defensive Dynamax is just not going to be as overall useful as an offensive one. A revenge Dynamax is further evidence to this; you hit Dynamax on your sweeper after they've used theirs, and you roll their team right back.
I think this might actually be a result of Generation 8 as a whole rather than just Dynamax. While there's a handful of mons that greatly benefit from Dynamax, something like Durant, Eiscue, or Gyarados isn't ruining the whole random format right now. The point I'm trying to make is twofold; the issue with sweeps in this format are deeper than Dynamax; even removing it will likely keep the swingy nature that's been testified to show up, and that teams without a resist are going to get swept by a really good sweeper, anyways.

Perfectly executed, a defensive Dynamax will leave the opponent with one Max move against your one Max move, both sides with increased survivability. Is this always enough? Of course not. But it also makes other scenarioes where you can survive. (As a side note, those specific examples are actually very helpful, even in a Randoms format. You'll find other examples, and can compare them to these, and get better understanding of Pokemon as a whole) Let's get back to Zekrom. Say they just Dragon Danced and you switched into Quagsire in an attempt to counter it.

From the Zekrom's side, there are two options. They either:

- Dynamax and Max Wyrmwind in order to blow your Ground-type away
OR
- Dragon Dance again

This forces a 50/50 from you, along with a Dynamax. Either you Max Quake to predict the Dragon Dance or Max Guard to go for the aforementioned one Max move hit. If you guess right on the Dragon Dance, the Zekrom has taken a heavy hit and cannot KO in retaliation. If the Dynamax dance is done ideally, your Quagsire is around a little less than half, and the Zekrom has to Outrage to snag a KO. Not bad for a devestating sweeper.

While Dynamaxing does create a sort of bottleneck, the gameflow tends to open up after the sweep is neutralized, and something like Zekrom or Necrozma Dusk-Mane would do so regardless. I respect that Dynamax may still be more problematic than helpful, but in terms of random formats, it deserves a ton more in-depth testing. If we have some deep analytical data about what moves nabs the most KOs from what Pokemon, and what was KOed, something could be said with certainty, but we don't, so we need to use our own feelings and experience to decide what's right...

While there's a handful of mons that greatly benefit from Dynamax, something like Durant, Eiscue, or Gyarados isn't ruining the whole random format right now. The point I'm trying to make is twofold; the issue with sweeps in this format are deeper than Dynamax; even removing it will likely keep the swingy nature that's been testified to show up, and that teams without a resist are going to get swept by a really good sweeper, anyways.

While Dynamaxing does create a sort of bottleneck, the gameflow tends to open up after the sweep is neutralized, and something like Zekrom or Necrozma Dusk-Mane would do so regardless. I respect that Dynamax may still be more problematic than helpful, but in terms of random formats, it deserves a ton more in-depth testing. If we have some deep analytical data about what moves nabs the most KOs from what Pokemon, and what was KOed, something could be said with certainty, but we don't, so we need to use our own feelings and experience to decide what's right...
There are degrees of magnitude at play though. Dynamax enables far more pokemon than ever before to become a setup sweeper. In fact, you don't even need a setup move to be a setup sweeper thanks to Dynamax. In previous gens, many matches were played where neither team rolled a setup sweeper. These days, everything is a setup sweeper, and this is almost solely due to Dynamax. This is extremely problematic in random battles.

I do agree that the game opens up after each side has used Dynamax, but (at the risk of overgeneralizing) the game usually decided by that point if either side lucked their way to a decent Dynamax user since even after the Dynamax subsides, the player who used it offensively should have a terrain, weather, or stat boost to work with. And while I do think more data can't hurt to look at, I think it's pretty trivial that the higher BP moves (ie Dynamax moves) tend to pick up more KOs than others. Not sure if that's necessarily what you were after though.

There are degrees of magnitude at play though. Dynamax enables far more pokemon than ever before to become a setup sweeper. In fact, you don't even need a setup move to be a setup sweeper thanks to Dynamax. In previous gens, many matches were played where neither team rolled a setup sweeper. These days, everything is a setup sweeper, and this is almost solely due to Dynamax. This is extremely problematic in random battles.

I do agree that the game opens up after each side has used Dynamax, but (at the risk of overgeneralizing) the game usually decided by that point if either side lucked their way to a decent Dynamax user since even after the Dynamax subsides, the player who used it offensively should have a terrain, weather, or stat boost to work with. And while I do think more data can't hurt to look at, I think it's pretty trivial that the higher BP moves (ie Dynamax moves) tend to pick up more KOs than others. Not sure if that's necessarily what you were after though.
While Dynamax does allow more than ever before to be able to set up, this too is a side effect of the shift to Generation 8. In addition to legends getting Dragon Dance, an absolute boatload of things got Nasty Plot. And most of those that can learn it have it as a potential set. Sadly, the days of neither team having a setup sweeper are gone, no matter what is done here. It's up to people to decide if that is a troubling development or a welcome one.

What I'm particularly after is what's dynamaxing, how often that wins, and what mons are most commonly facing off against a Dynamaxed threat. But I think that will need more than just numbers, but replays. Many, many, replays. I doubt I'll ever be able to get full access to what I want, but I can live with that.

As for why I'm here, to answer that question from earlier.. I kind of want to save this mechanic for Hackmons Cup, too, in addition to what I previously said. I really like the interaction of using nigh-unusable moves normally and actually turning them into high-powered attacks. While it's not guaranteed to go from there if it gets banned in this vote, it is very likely to...

While Dynamax does allow more than ever before to be able to set up, this too is a side effect of the shift to Generation 8. In addition to legends getting Dragon Dance, an absolute boatload of things got Nasty Plot. And most of those that can learn it have it as a potential set. Sadly, the days of neither team having a setup sweeper are gone, no matter what is done here. It's up to people to decide if that is a troubling development or a welcome one.

What I'm particularly after is what's dynamaxing, how often that wins, and what mons are most commonly facing off against a Dynamaxed threat. But I think that will need more than just numbers, but replays. Many, many, replays. I doubt I'll ever be able to get full access to what I want, but I can live with that.

As for why I'm here, to answer that question from earlier.. I kind of want to save this mechanic for Hackmons Cup, too, in addition to what I previously said. I really like the interaction of using nigh-unusable moves normally and actually turning them into high-powered attacks. While it's not guaranteed to go from there if it gets banned in this vote, it is very likely to...
... and under ordinary circumstances this increase in boosting mons would be fine. Because they're dedicating a moveslot and turn to the boosting move, and not every set is going to be the boosting set. And there's totally different mechanics around how a boosting mon needs to be played when it doesn't double it's HP right off the bat. These more "traditional" boosters are not problematic on their own. Dynamax bypasses this more traditional counterplay pattern by boosting and firing off insanely high base power moves simultaneously. It wastes no time. The offensive momentum it creates is totally different, and makes the game extremely one dimensional. And perhaps more importantly, Dynamax turns mons that aren't already setup mons into setup mons.

Fair enough.

I mean I can see why that effects you, but I don't see how that has any impact on this suspect. Sorry man.

Hi,

I just reached the requirements on my alt, how/where do I vote? Never done anything like this because I don't play other tiers that much... Thanks

• Dynamax creates very flowchart-y games where the match is usually determined on who presses the win button first.
  • In a teambuilding format, you can at least recognize which Pokemon is a popular abuser and pack a counter for it. In Randoms, you don't know what you have until you have it, and you don't know what your opponent has until they have it. And there are a lot of potential abusers running around.
  • The lack of information in Randoms is crippling for counterplay to Dynamax. I've said this in the past, you are generally able to tell if they're saving their Dynamax for something in the back when they've only got 2 mons left. But with so many potential threats, which one is it? It could be anything. You don't know what it is yet. It could be anything. Heck a Noctowl could blow through a team unprepared for Max Airstream spam.
I'm sorry but I feel like you're contradicting yourself so much here. Dynamax creates flowchart games yet you also say that the possibilities are endless because so many Pokemon can benefit and pose different kinds of threats....That's like the opposite of a flowchart, or at least its creating a very complicated flowchart that is highly dynamic with many possible ways Dynamax can change the outcome of the battle. But how is that even a bad thing?

You say that battles come down to who Dynamaxes first...but then state that it's entirely possible for someone to save their Dynamax for their last two Pokemon...and that either one can be a viable, game-winning threat. So it isn't a race to just press Dynamax to win. More interestingly still, you think that it's hard prepare due to lack of information and anything can be a huge threat. So it seems like Dynamaxing right away is quite the opposite of a winning mechanic and you have to take as much stock of the situation as possible to maximize the chance of success for it. If anything everything you're saying basically re-affirms what Pro-Dynamax people are saying: it provides very unique ways of play, utmost attention to the current game state and the myriad ways that Dynamax can change it and that many, many more Pokemon are now threats and potential wincons than ever before.

-------

So I've read most of the comments here and I guess I just want to comment on a few tendencies I have seen from people who are against Dynamaxing:

1. It seems like it's mainly lower ELO players arguing that Dynamax is really broken whereas higher ELO players opposed to Dynamax argue that it narrows the skill gap between the top players. These are two very distinct arguments and I think it's backed up by the fact that very few people have ended up substantially lower in the rankings this generation than before. If Dynamax was so constricting and chaotic as it's made to be, let's take into account that skilled players from previous generations have still largely remained at the top. At worst, it seems like there's a bit more shuffling at the very top of the ladder. But does that really mean its broken and is having a more rigid Top 100 Ladder really our endgoal?

2. People saying that you can be really ahead of your opponent but have it become completely overturned by Dynamax are missing a huge point: if you aren't aware of how an opponent's Dynamax could radically reshape the game, were you ever truly ahead? Keep in mind, the less Pokemon your opponent has, the less strategies that can arise when they do Dynamax and the more predictable the outcome of their Dynamax becomes. You, with more Pokemon at your disposal, are in a prime spot to plan around it. If your whole plan was to just generate a numbers lead but you failed to consider the Dynamax your opponent has, that's entirely on you and you not understanding the full scope of the enemy's options and potential options for a comeback. But you still had more tools at your disposal than they did.

3. There are those saying that they want Dynamax gone because they really hate the mechanic and quit randoms entirely because of it. While that's obviously unfortunate, I don't feel like if you played a few games you're entitled to say that the mechanic is "OP," even if it felt that way and it led you to quit Randoms. Quite frankly, if there is any truth whatsoever to the claim that Dynamax is indeed a very dynamic and more complex mechanic than it initially seems, you won't be privy to its nuance if you just quit after a few games. It's quite telling how many players have already professed to initially hating it or thinking it was OP only for them to later master the mechanic and understand that it isn't so straightforward. If you're one of these people that only played a few matches and quit because of it, I implore you to give the mechanic another chance and to really try to get acquainted with all the neat little things you can do with it. Of course, there's not much I can do if you legitimately find it unfun for whatever reason, but if it just seems OP and that's what's stopping you, I do feel like it may be totally worth it to fiddle with it some more and see if you can get some more depth from it.

4. Even the most interesting and well-thought out arguments against Dynamax seem to do this weird thing where they acknowledge how varied the mechanic can be but then immediately posit that there are Pokemon you will always want to Dynamax no matter what or that there are these kind of bottlenecks that emerge where it wouldn't make any sense to Dynamax any other Pokemon except one. But in my experience, this isn't true. I won't deny that Braviary will be a strong candidate for Dynamax every game but it would also be a lie to say that I have felt compelled to Dynamax it every game I've gotten it either. In fact, reducing your thinking and playstyle to "only these Pokemon are worth Dynamaxing" is what gives the illusion of a stale metagame and it ignores the variance and surprises that Randoms throws at you. Just because in theory certain Pokemon will seemingly benefit the most from a Dynamax, in implementation the very nature of Randoms makes it so that this judgment call is routinely put to the test. Funnily enough, some other complaints against Dynamax bring this into light: the idea that any Pokemon, even a non-Uber, can become a threat at the drop of a hat. Catching your opponent off-guard or playing with their expectations of who you will Dynamax are definitely options and if you default to this thinking that Dynamax only benefits a set list of Pokemon, that's a reflection of your mindset and not so much the many ways Dynamax can actually be used.

5. Dynamax is absolutely not a "who pushes the Dynamax button first wins" mechanic. I can say this with 100% certainty now that I've had to start from scratch to try to get an account that will be able to vote. What strikes me about the really low ELO play I've seen so far is how often people Dynamax at the first instance they get a powerful Pokemon that benefits from Dynamax on the field, regardless of how much information they have about my team or really any other consideration. I'm struck by how eager they are to just press the button and focus on Dynamaxing the first Pokemon with Max Knuckle or Max Airstream. I can tell you right off the bat a lot of players I won against would have had much better results getting more information from my team, NOT going for the most obvious Dynamax at the first opportunity, and just flat out thinking more deeply about the way setting weather, certain terrains or getting specific debuffs would have put them in a very favorable spot at specific parts of the game

6. Dynamax is most definitely NOT the only counter to Dynamax. This is hard for me to explain but if you can force a switch or you can predict when a powerful sweeper will come in (maybe baiting it out) and you can land a good debuff on a huge threat, you can effectively dent your opponent. This is a defensive use of Dynamax that I have seen some players mention but that I don't think has gotten enough attention. I feel like people have this very set idea that to use Dynamax appropriately it can only be done hyper-aggressively and the only recourse is a hapless Dynamax in desperation. Of course those desperate defensive Dynamax against an opponent's Dynamax do occur but that isn't the only option. Dynamax also does NOT do anything to circumvent immunities, so careful play around them can go a long way to mitigating the risk/sweeping potential of Dynamaxes and pose serious risks to those who Dynamax early. So does the reduced damage for the +1 in special attack and attack moves which makes even resistance switch-ins very viable.

Last edited:
I have been avoiding gen8 ranbats for a while now due to my distaste of dynamax and opted to stick to gen7 ranbats ,in which I am far more confident in my skill level compared to gen8 ranbats. Since the beginning of the suspect I came back to play some more gen8 ranbats. In the process of laddering back up and learning the tier better, I have realized that there is a sort of skill involved with deciding when to dynamax and predicting the opponent's dynamax which I had not been as keenly aware in the past. However while there is an element of skill in being able to play around dynamax, my chief complaint that dynamax creates too many unwinnable matchups still stands. In gen7 ranbats there were a handful of pokemon that would regularly 6-0 the opposing team with the opponent not being able to do anything. Some examples include the shellsmashers, belly drum slurpuff (as stupid as that sounds its actually a massive threat in gen7 ranbats), and of course everyones favorite 1 click win Geomancy Xerneas. While these broken set-up sweepers would show up once every couple of games, it feels like every single gen8 game has one of these sweepers. Of course not all dynamax sweeps are unpreventable, but there are a lot of games where after you get swept by the opponents dynamax yous sit there and think, "what could I have done there?", and the answer is nothing.
I am not as adamantly against dynamax as I was before, however I will still vote for in favor of a dynamax ban.

Casual player of ranabats here.

I'm not necessarily gonna say that dynamaxing needs to be fully banned, but I definitely think there needs to be some sort of restriction on it. I understand it's the "gimmick of the gen" and it adds a sense of unpredictability, but that's the whole problem to me - in previous gens, it was still a lot of fun but there was a sense of predictability to it all; if you played carefully and cautiously, you could outplay your opponent and even pull back from the brink. However, dynamaxing takes away that aspect and it feels like a cheap "lol I win" button. Don't have any uploads to show unfortunately, but there have been multiple times I've tricked an opponent into doing some stupid (encoring a set-up move, trapping them with a choice into an immunity etc.) and they've just dynamaxed and bypassed everything. Hell, it feels like the one thing everyone seems to do is set up and immediately dmax at the slightest hint of danger, or they realise they have an uber and they just go "well, let's kill everything now". I also understand that some tactics, like sub-stall can work to last it out and remove it, but if the opponent has a high speed tier (take Mewtwo, Ninjask etc.), then you're losing mons whether you can outplay or not.
If you ask me, I think there should be a restriction in that certain mons and situations should be banned. For example, ban any ubers from dmax-ing, or any mons suffering from encore or taunt. I think it is salvageable in the casual environment of ranbats, but it needs something to limit it. If nothing can truly be placed in to restrict it, then it probably needs to be banned until something else is figured out.

I'm sorry but I feel like you're contradicting yourself so much here. Dynamax creates flowchart games yet you also say that the possibilities are endless because so many Pokemon can benefit and pose different kinds of threats....That's like the opposite of a flowchart, or at least its creating a very complicated flowchart that is highly dynamic with many possible ways Dynamax can change the outcome of the battle. But how is that even a bad thing?
They're saying that yes there's endless possibilities for dynamax to be abused, and coming with that is endless possibilities to have the mechanic create flow-chart games. There's no contradiction here I see.
You say that battles come down to who Dynamaxes first...but then state that it's entirely possible for someone to save their Dynamax for their last two Pokemon...and that either one can be a viable, game-winning threat. So it isn't a race to just press Dynamax to win. More interestingly still, you think that it's hard prepare due to lack of information and anything can be a huge threat. So it seems like Dynamaxing right away is quite the opposite of a winning mechanic and you have to take as much stock of the situation as possible to maximize the chance of success for it. If anything everything you're saying basically re-affirms what Pro-Dynamax people are saying: it provides very unique ways of play, utmost attention to the current game state and the myriad ways that Dynamax can change it and that many, many more Pokemon are now threats and potential wincons than ever before.
Who says someone who saves Dynamax to the end also can't be the first one to do it in the match?

Also notice the keyword about dynamaxig first: "Usually," and the other part can mean one who did save it for later.

They're saying that yes there's endless possibilities for dynamax to be abused, and coming with that is endless possibilities to have the mechanic create flow-chart games. There's no contradiction here I see.
I got no idea what you're trying to say here, you quote napalm post, which says the variety of ways you can use dynamax makes the game the opposite of a flowchart game, saying dynamax does make the game flowcharty but without proving your point. Why would endless possibilities to use dynamax cause the game to follow a flowchart?
Who says someone who saves Dynamax to the end also can't be the first one to do it in the match?

Also notice the keyword about dynamaxig first: "Usually," and the other part can mean one who did save it for later.
Still napalm point was that dynamax isnt a free-win button, thing that pokedom said more than once. I would argue the first who dynamaxes really "usually" wins, still like you say in the end, both the one who uses it first and the one who uses it last can win, as such the outcome will still come down to skill, I dont understand what your argument to ban dynamax is here.

I've been playing randbats for about 3/4 years, usually hanging around top500, and this Gen is the one i'm having most fun with for sure.

Dynamax brought so many new mechanics and ways to surprise your opponent that made games more unpredictable, specially at high elos. You get a free protect, you get to boost yourself or debuff your opponent, you get to set weather, you get to survive a +6 linoone or SS Cloyster, you get a few more rounds with your toxic'd sweeper, i mean, there are soo many new layers of mechanics you can work around and have to predict from your opponent that makes games more complex and entertaining.

I actualy find it to be way less broken than people complain. Resists and immunities still apply, intimidate's, sub or recover to stall it, etc. My only issue is that it actualy bypasses things like encore and choice's but still, if you are good enough you can predict when your opponent is gonna dmax and work around it. And the fact that it made usualy mediocre pokemon actual threats (Farfetch'd, Noctowl, Shiftry, Beartic, etc) is definitely a plus for me.

Last edited:
I got no idea what you're trying to say here, you quote napalm post, which says the variety of ways you can use dynamax makes the game the opposite of a flowchart game, saying dynamax does make the game flowcharty but without proving your point. Why would endless possibilities to use dynamax cause the game to follow a flowchart?
There's endless possibilities for the game to flowchart is what was trying to be said. Most uses of dynamax create a flowchart anyway in the sense that someone would be scrambling to stop a dynamax sweep.
Still napalm point was that dynamax isnt a free-win button
I never said it was a free-win button.
still like you say in the end, both the one who uses it first and the one who uses it last can win,
True, but slightly misinterpreted. I was saying the first use in the battle could happen much late into it. I was helping someone understand that using it first doesn't necesairly mean it was used early in the battle.
as such the outcome will still come down to skill
Of course you need skill to use dynamax. It doesn't take much to prepare a good use of it. Just because you have to use something with the slightest amount of skill for sucess does not necesairly mean its balanced.

Also, one more thing:
your argument to ban dynamax
Bold of you to assume that I was making an argument to ban dynamax. That post was commenting on what I thought were flawed points made from that user.

I'm not sure if this is only for singles based on the initial post, so I apologize if that has been clarified somewhere else in the thread already.

I can only speak for doubles, as I play it a lot and am always fluttering around the top spot with one alt or another. I'm #1 currently with the alt 53ND3R.Randbatsnumber1.PNG

I feel like there is a very noticeable skill gap with dynamax in doubles. Some opponents use it right off the bat, which is usually a terrible idea unless you get a powerful max airstream user or you absolutely cannot afford to allow the opposing lead mon(s) to pick up any momentum because your own team just kinda insta loses to it. While there are certainly cases where a matchup is completely unwinnable even against a below average opponent, that's kinda been the norm for every random battle format. Often, dynamax reduces the variance of the game by allowing more skilled opponents to overcome bad matchups that would otherwise have led to automatic point loss on the ladder.

The only part of dynamax I've come across in thousands of battles that I truly feel is broken is max airstream. Mons like Togekiss, Sigilyph, Farfetch'd, Zapdos, Ho-Oh, Hawlucha, Braviary, Unfezant and even non flying types such as Suicine/Keldeo/Inteleon with air slash and Dracozolt with aerial ace are often the reason certain matchups are unwinnable. If your team is full of quick and frail mons, you usually get steamrolled against teams with a good max airstreamer. While random battles are obviously rarely going to be 100% fair for both squads, max airstream really tips the scales and drastically minimizes counterplay. I believe that the other stat boosting moves are fine. Max knuckle isn't nearly as much of an issue because the initial attack is pretty much always weaker than the base move. Close combat turns into 95 bp, for example. Max steelspike and max quake boosts are balanced and are very useful tools in certain situations. Max strike is also a fun tech that isn't nearly as busted as max airstream.

This could be attempted to be solved by reducing the level of the abusers, as I think several of them are too high a level for their incredible power, such as Farfetch'd, Braviary, and Unfezant. I'd hate to completely eliminate the mechanic because I think it takes a lot of skill to time your dyna just right, but I'd also like to avoid implementing some weird complex ban.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
I'm not sure if this is only for singles based on the initial post, so I apologize if that has been clarified somewhere else in the thread already.

I can only speak for doubles, as I play it a lot and am always fluttering around the top spot with one alt or another. I'm #1 currently with the alt 53ND3R.View attachment 235191

I feel like there is a very noticeable skill gap with dynamax in doubles. Some opponents use it right off the bat, which is usually a terrible idea unless you get a powerful max airstream user or you absolutely cannot afford to allow the opposing lead mon(s) to pick up any momentum because your own team just kinda insta loses to it. While there are certainly cases where a matchup is completely unwinnable even against a below average opponent, that's kinda been the norm for every random battle format. Often, dynamax reduces the variance of the game by allowing more skilled opponents to overcome bad matchups that would otherwise have led to automatic point loss on the ladder.

The only part of dynamax I've come across in thousands of battles that I truly feel is broken is max airstream. Mons like Togekiss, Sigilyph, Farfetch'd, Zapdos, Ho-Oh, Hawlucha, Braviary, Unfezant and even non flying types such as Suicine/Keldeo/Inteleon with air slash and Dracozolt with aerial ace are often the reason certain matchups are unwinnable. If your team is full of quick and frail mons, you usually get steamrolled against teams with a good max airstreamer. While random battles are obviously rarely going to be 100% fair for both squads, max airstream really tips the scales and drastically minimizes counterplay. I believe that the other stat boosting moves are fine. Max knuckle isn't nearly as much of an issue because the initial attack is pretty much always weaker than the base move. Close combat turns into 95 bp, for example. Max steelspike and max quake boosts are balanced and are very useful tools in certain situations. Max strike is also a fun tech that isn't nearly as busted as max airstream.

This could be attempted to be solved by reducing the level of the abusers, as I think several of them are too high a level for their incredible power, such as Farfetch'd, Braviary, and Unfezant. I'd hate to completely eliminate the mechanic because I think it takes a lot of skill to time your dyna just right, but I'd also like to avoid implementing some weird complex ban.
This decision will not affect doubles.

-------

So I've read most of the comments here and I guess I just want to comment on a few tendencies I have seen from people who are against Dynamaxing:

1. It seems like it's mainly lower ELO players arguing that Dynamax is really broken whereas higher ELO players opposed to Dynamax argue that it narrows the skill gap between the top players. These are two very distinct arguments and I think it's backed up by the fact that very few people have ended up substantially lower in the rankings this generation than before. If Dynamax was so constricting and chaotic as it's made to be, let's take into account that skilled players from previous generations have still largely remained at the top. At worst, it seems like there's a bit more shuffling at the very top of the ladder. But does that really mean its broken and is having a more rigid Top 100 Ladder really our endgoal?

2. People saying that you can be really ahead of your opponent but have it become completely overturned by Dynamax are missing a huge point: if you aren't aware of how an opponent's Dynamax could radically reshape the game, were you ever truly ahead? Keep in mind, the less Pokemon your opponent has, the less strategies that can arise when they do Dynamax and the more predictable the outcome of their Dynamax becomes. You, with more Pokemon at your disposal, are in a prime spot to plan around it. If your whole plan was to just generate a numbers lead but you failed to consider the Dynamax your opponent has, that's entirely on you and you not understanding the full scope of the enemy's options and potential options for a comeback. But you still had more tools at your disposal than they did.

3. There are those saying that they want Dynamax gone because they really hate the mechanic and quit randoms entirely because of it. While that's obviously unfortunate, I don't feel like if you played a few games you're entitled to say that the mechanic is "OP," even if it felt that way and it led you to quit Randoms. Quite frankly, if there is any truth whatsoever to the claim that Dynamax is indeed a very dynamic and more complex mechanic than it initially seems, you won't be privy to its nuance if you just quit after a few games. It's quite telling how many players have already professed to initially hating it or thinking it was OP only for them to later master the mechanic and understand that it isn't so straightforward. If you're one of these people that only played a few matches and quit because of it, I implore you to give the mechanic another chance and to really try to get acquainted with all the neat little things you can do with it. Of course, there's not much I can do if you legitimately find it unfun for whatever reason, but if it just seems OP and that's what's stopping you, I do feel like it may be totally worth it to fiddle with it some more and see if you can get some more depth from it.

4. Even the most interesting and well-thought out arguments against Dynamax seem to do this weird thing where they acknowledge how varied the mechanic can be but then immediately posit that there are Pokemon you will always want to Dynamax no matter what or that there are these kind of bottlenecks that emerge where it wouldn't make any sense to Dynamax any other Pokemon except one. But in my experience, this isn't true. I won't deny that Braviary will be a strong candidate for Dynamax every game but it would also be a lie to say that I have felt compelled to Dynamax it every game I've gotten it either. In fact, reducing your thinking and playstyle to "only these Pokemon are worth Dynamaxing" is what gives the illusion of a stale metagame and it ignores the variance and surprises that Randoms throws at you. Just because in theory certain Pokemon will seemingly benefit the most from a Dynamax, in implementation the very nature of Randoms makes it so that this judgment call is routinely put to the test. Funnily enough, some other complaints against Dynamax bring this into light: the idea that any Pokemon, even a non-Uber, can become a threat at the drop of a hat. Catching your opponent off-guard or playing with their expectations of who you will Dynamax are definitely options and if you default to this thinking that Dynamax only benefits a set list of Pokemon, that's a reflection of your mindset and not so much the many ways Dynamax can actually be used.

5. Dynamax is absolutely not a "who pushes the Dynamax button first wins" mechanic. I can say this with 100% certainty now that I've had to start from scratch to try to get an account that will be able to vote. What strikes me about the really low ELO play I've seen so far is how often people Dynamax at the first instance they get a powerful Pokemon that benefits from Dynamax on the field, regardless of how much information they have about my team or really any other consideration. I'm struck by how eager they are to just press the button and focus on Dynamaxing the first Pokemon with Max Knuckle or Max Airstream. I can tell you right off the bat a lot of players I won against would have had much better results getting more information from my team, NOT going for the most obvious Dynamax at the first opportunity, and just flat out thinking more deeply about the way setting weather, certain terrains or getting specific debuffs would have put them in a very favorable spot at specific parts of the game

6. Dynamax is most definitely NOT the only counter to Dynamax. This is hard for me to explain but if you can force a switch or you can predict when a powerful sweeper will come in (maybe baiting it out) and you can land a good debuff on a huge threat, you can effectively dent your opponent. This is a defensive use of Dynamax that I have seen some players mention but that I don't think has gotten enough attention. I feel like people have this very set idea that to use Dynamax appropriately it can only be done hyper-aggressively and the only recourse is a hapless Dynamax in desperation. Of course those desperate defensive Dynamax against an opponent's Dynamax do occur but that isn't the only option. Dynamax also does NOT do anything to circumvent immunities, so careful play around them can go a long way to mitigating the risk/sweeping potential of Dynamaxes and pose serious risks to those who Dynamax early. So does the reduced damage for the +1 in special attack and attack moves which makes even resistance switch-ins very viable.
I would appreciate the level of detail you delve into some other comments here applied to some of my own. It's very clear that you care about this, and are willing to explain your thought process/beliefs. I understand that you are largely forced to generalize due to the nature of this comment and that this was more of a comment to disprove the ban argument than it was to prove the no ban argument, but here's some food for thought:

1. Perhaps overgeneralizing a bit, but I can agree. Rank shuffling at the very top doesn't really speak to whether this mechanic is balanced or healthy, and should be ignored. There may be some points to be made if GXE has changed dramatically across the board compared to past gens though. Rank metrics aside, perhaps a more nuanced observation for you to dive into is whether some amount of skill expression has been lost because gen 8 randoms is a matter of playing offense with what you're given rather than playing what you're given, which tended to require a wider mastery of playstyles in past gens. I don't think this particular point I am making is the most convincing for the anti-Dynamax argument because you could just as well argue this variant of offense is harder to play, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

2. I agree conceptually with what you are after here, and in concept it's no different from playing around any other potent DDancer or Shell Smasher saved for later on in the game. I think this gets dangerous when you consider that everything can dynamax and (almost) everything is a potential abuser. It makes every game very offensive up to the point where both players have used their Dynamax. This is a meta shift that is not necessarily healthy. A bit more on this later.

3. Agreed, but there's also the flip side to people who really enjoyed random battles this gen due to Dynamax. The way it has warped the meta is less apparent when you haven't played previous gens. Either way though I think it makes more sense to treat these comments as indicators for the "mood" of the group rather than whether or not Dynamax should be kept. Very similar to the infinite comments about whether this mechanic is fun or not.

4. I mostly agree. There are pokemon that get more out of Dynamax than others, but that's not what you want to identify when you choose your Dynamax. You want to pick what Dynamax gets you the most value in that particular game. I do want to kind of nitpick some wording/point something out though:

"In fact, reducing your thinking and playstyle to "only these Pokemon are worth Dynamaxing" is what gives the illusion of a stale metagame and it ignores the variance and surprises that Randoms throws at you."

Variance in what ends up getting Dynamaxed, absolutely. Variance in the way the game plays or the way Dynamax is used? Not so much. P1 is going to Dynamax first in an attempt to sweep or wallbreak P2 to the point that they can't come back. P1 will succeed or fail. P2 will Dynamax to either stop that of P1 or after P1's Dynamax is done to try to do the same to him. Just about every other interactions in the game are secondary; they all build into an explosion of offense. This is what people are talking about when they mention a "flowchart" with different initial positions. Other interactions in the game are reduced to how they affect either player's ability to Dynamax and then close out the game. There is a very limited number of ways the game can go, and all of them hinge on the success of one or both players' Dynamax, because it was a forgone conclusion that the wincon would involve the Dynamax because this is Gen8. To me, that is actually staleness. You mention that the sheer number of pokemon that can be a wincon due to Dynamax proves the meta is not stale, but I am of the opinion that if they all depend on Dynamax to be a wincon, then that is the real illusion of diversity. Your wincon isn't really the mon. It's the Dynamax. It's certainly not like megas, anyway. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on all that though.

5. It's not that cut and dry, I agree, but just because Dynamax isn't giga-broken or obviously instantly winning doesn't make it a healthy mechanic (again, I recognize what the nature of your post was; you were not out to prove this). It just means it's not obviously unhealthy. The job of the suspect is to see if it is more healthy or unhealthy.

6. You point out that you can stall out the opponent's Dynamax without using your own, and I do agree that some comments in this thread gloss over that possibility.

Thoughts?

A lot of people are saying that without D-max, Gen 8 is just watered down Gen 7 randbats. I don't agree with this. Gen 8 has added plenty of unique pokemon, and also some really fuggin broken ones, to keep Gen 8 feeling fresh in my opinion. The lack of Megas and Z-Crystals, and a significant amount of pokemon is rather disappointing, but the DLC has added a lot of important, popular, and fun-to-use pokemon back. For me, stuff like Garchomp, Magnezone, etc.

Back to D-Max, however, the mechanic is objectively unbalanced. It is skewed towards certain pokemon which have access to flying, fighting, poison, or self-boosting weather moves, or easy set-up moves that they can safely use before D-Maxing. God forbid a sash Shell Smasher has D-Max available with psychic terrain up.

Even though there are ways to stall D-Max, through resist/immunity prediction, substitute, sacrificing, or D-Maxing yourself, that isn't fun. It poses a massive threat and forces you to play defensively. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but the fact that it lasts 3 turns is unforgivable. If a massively threatening choice user pops up, then it comes down to 1, maybe 2 turns of good defensive play, depending on the situation. However, unless you have a perfect wall to whatever your opponent has D-Maxed, you are now on the back foot for 3 whole turns! This leads to 2 possible situations: your defense is successful and D-Max wears off and the game resumes. Congratulations, the mechanic just slowed the whole game down for 3 turns, and accomplished nothing but some particularly painful chip damage on some of your mons. Or, the mechanic allows your opponent to absolutely cripple your team, securing a victory in just 3 turns. There are of course other situations that could arise, but these are the main 2 that you will frequently see.

Finally, D-Max just isn't satisfying. Competitive games are all about getting better, and testing your skill against others. There's a bit of luck involved, yes, but we've all learned to put up with the occasional miss, lucky crits, and oh God the Scald burns. But D-Max just doesn't feel skillful. The better player is supposed to win. If you're losing, it's likely because you had some absolutely abysmal luck with rng, whether in battle or in teambuilding, or, more likely, that you've made mistakes. A bad read, some forgotten information, or a failed bluff. But D-Max can fix all that. You can be losing a game hard, but then you just click the win button, and all of a sudden, you're in a good position, and your opponent is in a bad one! Or, similarly, you could be winning because you just D-Maxed! You started off the game with a good mon to D-max, and your opponent has no counter to that immediate power. And so, you just win.

Oh yeah and it also makes Encore and Trick absolutely useless.

Say its the first few turns of a Randy. You've got Cinderace in at 25%, and your opponent has Duraldon on the field and Decidueye revealed. You could switch like a wuss, but lets say you're feelin spicy and want to roll the dice. Do you click HJK or Pyro Ball?

50/50 scenarios are part of what makes competitive pokemon fun. If your opponent swaps Decidueye into your Pyro Ball you feel like the GOAT. If we wanted a game with no chance, we'd go play chess. I like Randoms because it offers a unique blend of luck and skill that is significantly different than the other metas. Many have raised excellent arguments about why Dynamax ~as a mechanic~ is broken, and I agree with pretty much all of them. I'd like to zoom out just a bit though, and say that dynamax should be banned not only because of what happens when a pokemon dynamaxes, but because of what happens when a pokemon does not dynamax.

People saying "oh its obvious when the opponent is going to dynamax," I've got news for you: it won't always be. It may feel obvious now because people are still figuring out the mechanic, or simply because of where you are on the ladder, but the reality is that anytime a sequence of moves (i.e. clicking dynamax to break out of choice lock and get a KO) starts to become too predictable, the metagame will adapt. Yes, it will always be possible to predict, but a previously no-luck scenario (if darm is choiced into EQ, I can switch in a flying type) is now a luck based scenario (shit he might just click dyna and KO me).

All games can be placed on a spectrum between luck and skill, and dynamax moves the Randoms metagame significantly closer to the luck side. I appreciate a good coin flip as much as the next guy, but when every turn is coin flip and getting just one wrong can cost you the game? If I wanted that I'd play snake eyes with my boomer dad.

Ban this ish

There's a lot going on with your response but I hope you'll forgive me if I narrow in on what I think are the two most important points you raised. Because JeezNuts' response also clarifies what Pokedom10 was saying about games feeling "flowcharty", this post can also be considered my response to those arguments which it does appear I misinterpreted. Thanks to CoolMan6001 for pointing this misunderstanding out.

1. Rank metrics aside, perhaps a more nuanced observation for you to dive into is whether some amount of skill expression has been lost because gen 8 randoms is a matter of playing offense with what you're given rather than playing what you're given, which tended to require a wider mastery of playstyles in past gens. I don't think this particular point I am making is the most convincing for the anti-Dynamax argument because you could just as well argue this variant of offense is harder to play, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.
This is an excellent question and I must admit that I don't have any hard data on this, so it's just based on my perception of the metagame. To me, I would say that while it's fair to say that in Gen. 8 you are playing offensive in the grand scheme of things, that's hardly to say that stall, disruption and other "slower" playstyles have been phased out or aren't vital to master. A lot of games I have played still require careful usage of stall techniques if your team is set up that way and I've still have had to make prudent switches and calculated risks to break through stall. So I would argue that mastery of these vastly different playstyles is essential still, both in creating the right circumstances to maximize/mitigate Dynamax (depending on the game) and absolutely in games where Dynamax is used early to mid-game. I of course have to concede the point a game can no longer be purely stall* and that the roles of Pokemon aren't as rigid as before, allowing a potential escape from a fixated template of how the game will proceed but I personally enjoy this. No longer are games confined to a specific course of events, creating more dynamic patchworks where knowing which playstyle to pick and what risks it carries is essential and being able to switch from style to style within a game is the key to victory. That is, the skill-level and mastery of different playstyles is still there, just that rather than defining an entire battle, it defines specific segments and events.

*There is a somewhat minor exception in that if you time your Dynamax correctly with the right Pokemon, you can get two Max Guards in and nearly invalidate the enemy's Dynamax. At this point, can we even think of Dynamax as an instance of explosive action or is it really that proper stalling just looks a bit differently now?

4. I mostly agree. There are pokemon that get more out of Dynamax than others, but that's not what you want to identify when you choose your Dynamax. You want to pick what Dynamax gets you the most value in that particular game. I do want to kind of nitpick some wording/point something out though:

"In fact, reducing your thinking and playstyle to "only these Pokemon are worth Dynamaxing" is what gives the illusion of a stale metagame and it ignores the variance and surprises that Randoms throws at you."

Variance in what ends up getting Dynamaxed, absolutely. Variance in the way the game plays or the way Dynamax is used? Not so much. P1 is going to Dynamax first in an attempt to sweep or wallbreak P2 to the point that they can't come back. P1 will succeed or fail. P2 will Dynamax to either stop that of P1 or after P1's Dynamax is done to try to do the same to him. Just about every other interactions in the game are secondary; they all build into an explosion of offense. This is what people are talking about when they mention a "flowchart" with different initial positions. Other interactions in the game are reduced to how they affect either player's ability to Dynamax and then close out the game. There is a very limited number of ways the game can go, and all of them hinge on the success of one or both players' Dynamax, because it was a forgone conclusion that the wincon would involve the Dynamax because this is Gen8. To me, that is actually staleness. You mention that the sheer number of pokemon that can be a wincon due to Dynamax proves the meta is not stale, but I am of the opinion that if they all depend on Dynamax to be a wincon, then that is the real illusion of diversity. Your wincon isn't really the mon. It's the Dynamax. It's certainly not like megas, anyway. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on all that though.

Thoughts?
This right here is the crucial question to answer. I think what it comes down to is how much of a step back we take when we examine games with Dynamax as an option. You're right that Dynamaxing is an indispensable aspect of battles and it's near-mandatory to Dynamax if you're facing off against an opponent of the same caliber so from this "big picture" perspective, I can understand why this metagame can appear stale as it will occur in every battle and as such, both players must play accordingly. But I find myself asking why this perspective feels so contrary to my own experiences and I think the best way I can phrase it is this: if Dynamax is to be an integral aspect of every battle, then does it streamline player choices and limit the decisions made at each game state?

And once we examine this question, I think we find that as a core component of battles, Dynamaxing is anything but creating the same battle experience over and over again. You're right that a lot of the early to mid game comes down to setting up a successful Dynamax BUT how this achieved varies wildly from game to game and from team composition to team composition. We're talking a vast number of turns, each full of intricate flowcharts, endless mindgames and possible dramatic twists and turns that a battle can take. In other words, once we examine the game on a turn-per-turn basis, Dynamax is creating entirely new playstyles and ways of reaching an optimal Dynamax. Certainly Dynamax itself is inevitable but none of the moves that created that particular Dynamax at that turn and for that particular strategy were. For these reasons it feels a bit unfair to reduce a battle to a singular event for that singular event could have been many different things at many different points in the game and each would have provided a radically different experience, complete with different synergies and interactions between different Pokemon and entire teams, both the player's and the enemies'. In this sense, in making one mechanic a core part of gameplay we are sacrificing some streamlining of how a battle can be seen as a whole but in its place we are getting vast, impressive networks of game states that force unique interactions that would not exist had this mechanic never been introduced. As you note, the wincon often is the Dynamax but how that wincon manifests itself is really up to the creativity of the player and its this creativity and ability to repurpose the game to the player's liking that I find so refreshing. It's a kind of power and thinking that didn't exist before and won't exist once this feature is removed, be it because Gen 9 comes around or because the mechanic does not survive this suspect test.

To end--and going back a bit to the first question you asked me--I do think a somewhat unfortunate byproduct of Dynamax as a mechanic is that the general "feel" of a battle is indeed in the more offensive side. I think anyone defending Dynamax would be remiss without at least acknowledging this. But while this is absolutely a more offensive-minded metagame, I want to point out how much variety exists within those offensive options. Is it really a damning problem to be able to say that Gen 8 is, as a whole, offensive minded while noting that preceding the bursts of offense are a whole pastiche of playstyles and the way offensive plans are concocted are changing on a turn per turn basis? This, to me, is the virtue of Dynamax. It created an offensive metagame without the offensive options ever feeling repetitive or mindless--no longer is it just Swords Dance and wait to see if another Pokemon outspeeds you/walls you, instead, its a delightful plethora of options that require strong consideration from the very start of the game.

Anyway, thanks for your questions. They were very thought-provoking and I just hope I was able to properly express my thoughts.

Last edited:

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
I frankly find this thread to be quite of a shitshow, but I thought this post and its 6 points were interesting so I figured I'd want to reply to it with my views on this, as I recently got my reqs and will be voting ban when the time comes:
I've never been an avid ladderer in the past, so this suspect is the first time I've ever really climbed decently high in the first place, but I feel like the low ELO and high ELO arguments boil down to the same thing in the end: that it has the potential to completely flip a game on its end or make it really one-sided. While low ELO players are more likely to be on the receiving end of a Dynamax onslaught than high ELO ones, I still think it's a really volatile mechanic that favors short-term decisions over long-term ones, which affects all players regardless of ELO.
As Dynamax is primarily an offensive mechanic, it doesn't really matter that their potential last user of Dynamax is predictable or not, since a really strong mon in their last hidden slot has always had the potential to reverse the course of a game, regardless of generation. This generation just makes such a hidden ace all the more potent and all the planning in the world can't always save you from a bad matchup that have always plagued random battles. Even in tiers with team preview, like OU when Dynamaxing was allowed there, there were times when even knowing about potential Dynamax threats couldn't always prevent the player from ending up getting swept by them, so how much foresight is expected of one when you don't even know the full extent of their team?
I only played roughly 20-30 games this generation because of just that reason and now after playing another 80 games to get reqs, my opinion hasn't changed in the slightest. If anything, I've seen and taken advantage of a lot more cases where Dynamax often steamrolled myself or the opponent. I find this kind of argument is really elitist overall, that you just need to "git gud" in a metagame that is the most popular and welcoming one at its core on the sim. When basically all other 6v6 metagames that Smogon offers has banned or restricted Dynamax in some way, what makes Random Battles so radically different to not make the mechanic broken and uncompetitive?
This line of thinking was present during OU's suspect test of Dynamax, that if you'd just deal with the strongest abusers of Dynamax then everything would be fine, with abusers like Gyarados, Clefable, and Dragapult standing out as some of the best. Similarly, suggestions to only allow Gigantamax mons to balance the mechanic all end up with just shifting the acceptable power level of something that is allowed to Dynamax and ignoring the fact that people will always be drawn to find the next user to abuse Dynamax with. Now, while Random Battles won't always give you the best abusers in every game it also doesn't ban them from ever appearing. It's also a format that has always had unorthodox powerhouses in terms of OU power levels because of the level scaling system in place, such as Sigilyph and Linoone in the past. We've also seen a general improvement in the viability of sets overall compared to last generation, with less Choice Scarf slow mons, less no recovery walls, less no coverage or redundant STABs, and the list goes on. While this is good in the grand scheme of things, it also makes it much harder for otherwise OU levels of defensive mons to deal with the increased range of threats, as Dynamax ramps up the amount of unorthodox powerhouses multiple times over. Surely every single mon that isn't a dedicated wall isn't supposed to be a setup sweeper?
My perceived view was that people think the opposite, to quote Youtubers like pokeaim and Emvee: "He who dynamaxes first loses". Even if this is mostly an issue that is present on the lower ladder, the problem is that this kind of short-term planning isn't always going to punish them. It's definitely not uncommon that Dynamax plays like this actually end up working out in the end, as the potential to snowball is significant and factors like RNG and team generation always has a chance of leaving you completely helpless. I'd say this would be a prime example of removing the actual skill from the metagame, when arguably bad plays end up benefiting the ones who makes them. So even if more skilled players are able to better utilize Dynamax at the right time, you can't really argue your competitive high ground when you lost to someone that swept you with a Dynamax user 5 turns in to the game. Hell, the only times I've swept or been swept by people with a lead this generation has been with either Dynamax or Moody users, where Moody is another completely bonkers thing that needs to go.
The actual answer is that there is no true counter to Dynamax. Defensive Dynamaxing and just trying to play around the opponent can be an option, but the true problem is that the player on the defensive will generally be in the worse position in most situations. A defensive Dynamax too early can cost you the game later and the opponents ability to damage you and get various boosts at the same time while you're trying to play around it instead is incredibly potent. Other defensive counter measures like using Encore in to a set up move, using Destiny Bond, phazing, flinching, and disabling of moves for example are also nullified. The reduced base power on Poison and Fighting Max Moves are also only a detriment while you're in Dynamax, as the potential for a sweep is usually not over once your 3 turns are up and their base powers returns to their normal values.

I did write this up before I saw your most recent post so I don't really have the energy to reply to that as well, but the variance nature of this tier will lead to many arguments about it to be either very general or just from a personal perspective on things, as it is supposed to be a "random" metagame at the end of the day. I will most likely be fine if Dynamax ends up staying, as the proposed changes to disconnect Random Battles from the other tiers and more might end up alleviating many of the problems I have with the metagame at the moment. But, I do believe that removing Dynamax entirely is the better way to go, both competitively and from a "fun" perspective.

Last edited:
Admittedly, I do have some issues with parts this towards the middle. Not for your position necessarily. Some of this just doesn't help address the question at hand, in my opionion. But we may also have different notions of what the question actually is.

This is an excellent question and I must admit that I don't have any hard data on this, so it's just based on my perception of the metagame. To me, I would say that while it's fair to say that in Gen. 8 you are playing offensive in the grand scheme of things, that's hardly to say that stall, disruption and other "slower" playstyles have been phased out or aren't vital to master. A lot of games I have played still require careful usage of stall techniques if your team is set up that way and I've still have had to make prudent switches and calculated risks to break through stall. So I would argue that mastery of these vastly different playstyles is essential still, both in creating the right circumstances to maximize/mitigate Dynamax (depending on the game) and absolutely in games where Dynamax is used early to mid-game.
Right, they're still important to master (in some sense), and aren't totally gone per se, but my argument is that mastery of those other playstyles is significantly less rewarding in this generation than a mastery of playing offense is. If you tend to consider yourself of a "high elo" mindset, you are likely able to see the value in mastering everything because you've played through every obscure situation and found many obscure optimizations that draw on less obvious applications of the other playstyles. And I can agree that there is value in it. There's value in every little thing at high level play. But does that mean there is value on average to those other playstyles in a meta with Dynamax if it's only really necessary at the utmost top levels of play? I think it's very hard to argue against the idea that the value in other plastyles has significantly diminished this gen because of Dynamax, regardless of elo. As you say, you are playing offense in the grand scheme of things. Every game. Perhaps other playstyles (ie balance) look a lot more like offense than they used to, but imo that is very telling of what is going on here.

I of course have to concede the point a game can no longer be purely stall* and that the roles of Pokemon aren't as rigid as before, allowing a potential escape from a fixated template of how the game will proceed but I personally enjoy this. No longer are games confined to a specific course of events, creating more dynamic patchworks where knowing which playstyle to pick and what risks it carries is essential and being able to switch from style to style within a game is the key to victory. That is, the skill-level and mastery of different playstyles is still there, just that rather than defining an entire battle, it defines specific segments and events.

*There is a somewhat minor exception in that if you time your Dynamax correctly with the right Pokemon, you can get two Max Guards in and nearly invalidate the enemy's Dynamax. At this point, can we even think of Dynamax as an instance of explosive action or is it really that proper stalling just looks a bit differently now?
The pokemon are indeed less rigid in their role. But their options only widen to what they were before, and also a setup sweeper or protect clicker depending on situation. I personally don't find that very intricate, and I think the dynamic aspects really loses their flavor when they all play pretty similarly anyway when viewed from a high level (flowcharty, etc). I found games much more dynamic and unconfined when I didn't assume they had a hidden setup sweeper somewhere on their team from turn 1. In randomized formats, very few if any games were defined in their entirety by one playstyle or another before dynamax existed, and I don't agree with the idea that Dynamax is breaking any molds that weren't already broken by the format to begin with. It actually introduces a mold because you're playing around being swept or being the sweeper in 100% of games. As for your other point, I'd argue it's the former in the overwhelming majority of cases, but I'd be very interested to know how often a simultaneous dynamax actually happens in this format.

This right here is the crucial question to answer. I think what it comes down to is how much of a step back we take when we examine games with Dynamax as an option. You're right that Dynamaxing is an indispensable aspect of battles and it's near-mandatory to Dynamax if you're facing off against an opponent of the same caliber so from this "big picture" perspective, I can understand why this metagame can appear stale as it will occur in every battle and as such, both players must play accordingly. But I find myself asking why this perspective feels so contrary to my own experiences and I think the best way I can phrase it is this: if Dynamax is to be an integral aspect of every battle, then does it streamline player choices and limit the decisions made at each game state?
I think it streamlines player choices for sure but it's not clear whether it limits decisions made at each game state. I also think that second bit is not provable or disprovable, and is therefore not even part of the "crucial" question, as it were. The question should be "does it streamline player choices?" The other stuff is philosophical fluff, imo. Lots of interesting/fun ideas and concepts to explore that one could spend a lot of time on, but very little to actually gain from them as far as determining to ban or not goes.

And once we examine this question, I think we find that as a core component of battles, Dynamaxing is anything but creating the same battle experience over and over again. You're right that a lot of the early to mid game comes down to setting up a successful Dynamax BUT how this achieved varies wildly from game to game and from team composition to team composition. We're talking a vast number of turns, each full of intricate flowcharts, endless mindgames and possible dramatic twists and turns that a battle can take. In other words, once we examine the game on a turn-per-turn basis, Dynamax is creating entirely new playstyles and ways of reaching an optimal Dynamax. Certainly Dynamax itself is inevitable but none of the moves that created that particular Dynamax at that turn and for that particular strategy were. For these reasons it feels a bit unfair to reduce a battle to a singular event for that singular event could have been many different things at many different points in the game and each would have provided a radically different experience, complete with different synergies and interactions between different Pokemon and entire teams, both the player's and the enemies'. In this sense, in making one mechanic a core part of gameplay we are sacrificing some streamlining of how a battle can be seen as a whole but in its place we are getting vast, impressive networks of game states that force unique interactions that would not exist had this mechanic never been introduced. As you note, the wincon often is the Dynamax but how that wincon manifests itself is really up to the creativity of the player and its this creativity and ability to repurpose the game to the player's liking that I find so refreshing. It's a kind of power and thinking that didn't exist before and won't exist once this feature is removed, be it because Gen 9 comes around or because the mechanic does not survive this suspect test.
I do agree that there's still variance/complexity, and that the ways you might go about playing around dynamax are indeed very diverse. Other parts of the game do still matter. I've mentioned this before. But you are getting awfully microscopic here with your networks of game states. If you frame each game of pokemon as two sequences of actions with an outcome, it will always look intricate and variable. High level variability, variability that is easier to reason about because it is less reliant on it being countable, is the idea that I was trying to describe. It is extremely difficult to prove or disprove whether low level, turn-by-turn variability has been lost since it is not countable within this context. As you mention, choices lead to other choices, which in turn lead to a Dynamax. The sequence of events is very important, but in so far as this variability is not countable it doesn't really lead us anywhere. High level variability... You can reason about that. And from what I gather we are actually in agreement with how that has changed, just not its importance. To me, that is the variability that is more indicative of meta health and stability.
The lower level variability demands further quantification it can't be given, and even having its quantification does not generate anything prescriptive about what should be done in this context. I'd much rather discuss characterizations of how things work in practice than this is... demonstration of complexity? Take this for what you will. It's much less a disagreement with what you've written than it is a note of its limited practicality within this context.

To end--and going back a bit to the first question you asked me--I do think a somewhat unfortunate byproduct of Dynamax as a mechanic is that the general "feel" of a battle is indeed in the more offensive side. I think anyone defending Dynamax would be remiss without at least acknowledging this. But while this is absolutely a more offensive-minded metagame, I want to point out how much variety exists within those offensive options. Is it really a damning problem to be able to say that Gen 8 is, as a whole, offensive minded while noting that preceding the bursts of offense are a whole pastiche of playstyles and the way offensive plans are concocted are changing on a turn per turn basis? This, to me, is the virtue of Dynamax. It created an offensive metagame without the offensive options ever feeling repetitive or mindless--no longer is it just Swords Dance and wait to see if another Pokemon outspeeds you/walls you, instead, its a delightful plethora of options that require strong consideration from the very start of the game.

Anyway, thanks for your questions. They were very thought-provoking and I just hope I was able to properly express my thoughts.
It is not necessarily damning that the game is more offensively minded. The issue is that this shift is traceable back to one, singular, suspect-testable mechanic. Turn per turn variability does not speak to meta variety. Turn per turn variability does not speak to strategic variety because it overvalues literal distinction and uniqueness without accounting for meaningful or "big picture" difference. I defer my last point about why there seems to be variety within those offensive options to Kalaokki's post (which I really loved).

We've also seen a general improvement in the viability of sets overall compared to last generation, with less Choice Scarf slow mons, less no recovery walls, less no coverage or redundant STABs, and the list goes on. While this is good in the grand scheme of things, it also makes it much harder for otherwise OU levels of defensive mons to deal with the increased range of threats, as Dynamax ramps up the amount of unorthodox powerhouses multiple times over. Surely every single mon that isn't a dedicated wall isn't supposed to be a setup sweeper?
I very much appreciate reading your perspective, particularly the bit I've quoted above. You've brought up a lot of points that are otherwise not mentioned in this thread, and introduced new ideas (to this thread) from other suspect tests, all of which I had not heard about. Great contribution, if you ask me.

I think that it makes ran batts fun but that’s just me it’s the only 6v6 with it and it helps when your opponent has Groudon and xearn and you only have a cramorant

I've been playing random battles for a few years now and just got reqs. My fundamental and remaining issue with dynamax is how fucking centralizing it is. Maybe it's just me, but every battle centers around dynamax. Before, I'd look at my team and try to figure out if I was winning by stalling the enemy to death with toxic and walls, or hazard stacking, or breaking shit with a massive powerful mon, or setting up a sweeper. When I look at my team, the first and most important thing I look for is the mon I want to set up with dynamax to win. Then it's how I can best assist that mon with dynamaxing (hi sticky web, my oldest friend and most bitter enemy). The value of utility mons has gone down massively - Liepard, Whimsicott, Sableye, etc have all gone down in value immensely. Lugia is being run as a fucking set up sweeper. You can't exploit choice'd mons anymore. On and on and on.

Dynamax doesn't inherently lower skill, or simplify things, or break things. There's a lot of cool nuance with it between max guard, move effects, and so on. The problem is it removes all the other nuance in the game to make way for itself and that's just. Not cool .

I've been playing random battles for a few years now and just got reqs. My fundamental and remaining issue with dynamax is how fucking centralizing it is. Maybe it's just me, but every battle centers around dynamax. Before, I'd look at my team and try to figure out if I was winning by stalling the enemy to death with toxic and walls, or hazard stacking, or breaking shit with a massive powerful mon, or setting up a sweeper. When I look at my team, the first and most important thing I look for is the mon I want to set up with dynamax to win. Then it's how I can best assist that mon with dynamaxing (hi sticky web, my oldest friend and most bitter enemy). The value of utility mons has gone down massively - Liepard, Whimsicott, Sableye, etc have all gone down in value immensely. Lugia is being run as a fucking set up sweeper. You can't exploit choice'd mons anymore. On and on and on.

Dynamax doesn't inherently lower skill, or simplify things, or break things. There's a lot of cool nuance with it between max guard, move effects, and so on. The problem is it removes all the other nuance in the game to make way for itself and that's just. Not cool .
Im not the exactly a that good player either, but i played a lot of years randbats and the first thing im doing is also trying to know what mons have my opponent to be sure if my win condition was right all the time. While is true some broken dynamax mons like the fuc*** zekroom of gyarados for example are usually good to be your win condition, sometimes because is randbats, your opponent just has the key mons to answer it even with no dynamax and stalling turns. In the worst case, you could use dynamax to stop that instead of being something 6-0 only at the start. The key mon to win can change when your know more of your opponent's pokemon .Sometimes your unexpected pokemon was all the time your win condition if your dynamax pokemon, but its also true there times where i had to dynamax my pokemon that moment and i didnt have other chance to set up ( thanks no preview xD) Thanks all time i have been playing 8gen rand bats, i can say dynamax its an interesing mechanic who allows preventing those type of injustices when you can't do nothing and this mechanic is the only option to save you. It's possible to play with it without being broken, or at least i think this.
Its true sometimes even with your dynamax mon you can lose if you have a very bad match up, but i think most of the time it would have been the same result if the threathing pokemon didn't use dynamax.
I think the best thing to do is balance more the levels or the moveset, for example time before gyradados has bounce but it doenst longer have it ( sorry if im wrong). That was too ridiculous. Also, if we start to suspect things in randbats, we should start to suspect things in the future too.

PD: Sorry for my english if you don't understand, im just started to learning it in my academy :P . Hopefully you can understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)