Resource SS Ubers Viability Rankings v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

our new art by sketti! (source)

Welcome to the second run of the SS Ubers VR!

Here is where we aim to rank all the Pokemon by order of viability in the SS Ubers metagame.
Thread Rules

- Post intelligently. One line only posts saying things like "X should be X rank" without context or supporting evidence are likely to be disregarded or deleted.
- Be civil when debating with other users. Any flaming will not be tolerated!
- This thread is for discussion of the viability rankings only. Simple questions about why something is ranked or how to build a team should look to our SQSA or our various resources outlined in the Forum Guide.
- Be aware of our subforum rules and global forum rules, they naturally apply here too!

The VR Council

The VR Council is a collective of users given the privilege to assess any new nominations from the community and vote on them before they become accepted into the rankings. The same council also has a similar privilege in our Sample Teams thread. The VR Council is also able to internally nominate changes to the thread where it will be voted on just like a community user's vote. Changes to the Viability Rankings will usually be documented in the form of updates, where votes and associated reasoning are collected in a spreadsheet, so keep an eye out for update posts! The current members of the VR Council are:

Nayrz
Mysterious M
Cynara
SiTuM
Manaphy
Terracotta
Hack
Reje
Ballfire
Goat Heart ♥
ice-master-523
crucify
TrueNora

Rankings

The S and A ranks are ordered by order of their viability as determined by the community and council. We opt for this in the Ubers VRs due to the centralized nature of the tier leading to more obvious gaps in how good something is. B rank and below are still listed alphabetically, to avoid excessive nitpicking and less interesting discussions.

Each Pokemon will have their Strategy Dex entry hyperlinked as they go up on site. When its early in the generation and/or there are new additions to the VR it will likely take extra time to have their site entry available.

S Rank

S

Lunala
Zacian-C
Eternatus

A Rank

A+

Necrozma-DM
Excadrill

A

Dugtrio
Tyranitar
Corviknight
Reshiram

A-

Kyurem-B
Zekrom
Quagsire
Ferrothorn
Toxapex
Kyurem-W
Gothitelle

B Rank

A reminder: all Pokemon below this point are sorted alphabetically.

B+

Dracovish
Dragapult
Drednaw
Galarian Darmanitan
Gyarados
Mandibuzz
Marshadow
Mewtwo
Umbreon

B

Ditto
Hippowdon
Hydreigon
Pelipper
Rotom-H
Rotom-W
Snorlax
Togekiss
Zacian

B-

Aegislash
Cinderace
Clefable
Cloyster
Darmanitan
Grimmsnarl
Hatterene
Melmetal
Seismitoad
Zamazenta

C Rank

C+

Crawdaunt
Mew
Rotom-M
Sableye
Sylveon
Torkoal
Vaporeon
Venusaur

C

Avalugg
Blastoise
Charizard
Glalie
Lapras
Necrozma-DW
Rotom-F
Polteageist
Pyukumuku
Ribombee
Rillaboom
Shuckle
Solgaleo
Zamazenta-C

Last edited:
We're back with a post home VR! There's a bunch of stuff to cover regarding this so I'll get right to it.

Firstly, apologies about how slow this was to come out. The uncertainty about the Dynamax discussion has had the council apprehensive about committing to the idea of remaking an entire VR the way we did the pre-Home version.

This leads to two other points - there is no sheet of opinions to read about how this VR came about, we internally decided on it through debate rather than with sheet opinions and voting/averaging so that we could come up with something without taking even longer than we just did. The other point is that this thread will stay locked until the Dynamax discussion has concluded with a plan of action, which is still pending and will be dealt with as soon as possible. If Dynamax ends up tested or banned in some form, this thread would need some revision to deal with that, so we don't want to waste community time making nominations on the current VR during this uncertain period. Our Discord and PS room are still valid areas to discuss the new VR for now though! On another topic, we squashed the C ranks together to represent niche mons rather than split hairs with them. If / when the rank is diverse enough to warrant sub-ranks, we will opt for that.

Secondly, we have some cool new art, the new SS minisprites are in use, and we have a changed council lineup! Skysolo stepped down, and we brought on Ballfire, crucify, ice-master-523, and Goat Heart ♥ as some SS fresh faces to the VR council. Welcome aboard!

So yeah, thanks for bearing with us during these wild times. This thread will be open for discussions once the time is right. See ya then.

We'll be opening this to discussion in about a week for early thead nominations now that Dynamax has had a resolution (to let the meta settle a bit), and the VR Council can look to start debating a new update shortly after that with your posts in mind. Stay tuned!

edit: 1 week later, thread's open!

Last edited:
Finally, time has come for my boy Drednaw to get the appreciation it deserves.
So, here's my call :

drednaw.png From None ranked => C or B- drednaw.png

As we might all noticed, weather has been really relevant since the Dynamax ban. And Drednaw have proven itself as the best rain abuser so far. It's Pure raw power combined to its perfect coverage and its Gigamax form, which allows it to setup Stealth Rocks, is enough to be worth at least a C rank in the VR.

Here's the set i've been using so far in ladder :

EEHHHH KF (Drednaw-Gmax) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Crunch

Liquidation is your only STAB, which transform into G-Max Stonesurge, a 130BP STAB under Rain that sets up Stealth Rocks. Other moves are just basic coverage to pick up specific kills (Earthquake for Eternatus and Zekrom, Superpower for Ferrothorn, Crunch for Lunala). Life Orb allows you to connect almost if not all OHKO that you're willing to connect, here's a few calcs that are relevant :

On offensiv threats :

252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Geyser vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zacian-Crowned in Rain: 368-434 (113.2 - 133.5%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Quake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zekrom: 317-374 (92.9 - 109.6%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Quake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eternatus: 387-458 (91.9 - 108.7%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Darkness vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 411-484 (98.7 - 116.3%) (Shadow Shield is up of course)
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Geyser vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal in Rain: 308-363 (65.2 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

On defensiv mons :
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Geyser vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire in Rain: 333-394 (84.5 - 100%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Quake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 198-234 (65.1 - 76.9%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Geyser vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Necrozma-Dusk-Mane in Rain: 259-305 (65 - 76.6%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Geyser vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Zamazenta-Crowned in Rain: 253-298 (65.2 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Geyser vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight in Rain: 292-344 (73 - 86%)

Here's a few replays to proove my point ingame (was around 1650 on ladder) :

Picking up 3 kills and putting Dusk-mane at 37% hp
Picking up 3 kills again, specially on Corviknight and boots Lunala
Tournament's replay against KyogreF4N (i lost on purpose)

So far, i've only seen Dusk-Mane as a relevant counter, as it can survive the G-Max Stonesurge and Thunder Wave it back. Otherwise, even defensiv Eternatus will struggle as you'll boost your SpDef with Max Quake, making you hard to Revenge Kill with Dynamax Canoon. Other decent check i've seen is Dynamaxed Melmetal, as it'll have enough Def to survive hits and hit back with Steelspike or Lightning :

252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Geyser vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Melmetal in Rain: 308-363 (32.6 - 38.4%)

Hence why i'd only put it C for now. Unlike Excadrill, Drednaw can't setup and his Double Type makes it a bit weak to several moves like Steel or Electrik moves.
But Drednaw has been claming at least 2 or 3 kills each games, specially against highly offensiv teams. Even defensiv teams will struggle against it unless you run Water Immunity, which is quite uncommon in Ubers.

S/o :
- To the word relevant for being relevant here
- To KyogreF4N lul
- To Pohjis he's so cool wtf

Last edited:
c+ isn't a rank
but anyway time for my nom

:sylveon: Sylveon to B- :sylveon:

Out of the three viable Eeveelutions in the metagame, Sylveon is usually disregarded for the superior Umbreon, due to its much higher physical bulk and its access to Foul Play, allowing it to check a large portion of physically offensive and even some specially defensive Pokemon. However, Sylveon has quite a few niches over Umbreon and its cousin Vaporeon, who is mainly used over Sylveon due to its higher physical defense and better typing. For one, Sylveon's immunity to Dragon allows it to easily counter all of the specially offensive dragons in the metagame, except for Eternatus with Sludge Bomb and Choice Specs Reshiram. The Calm Mind variant could even wall the latter with a single boost. In addition, Eternatus with Sludge Bomb has become rare; many Eternatus sets prefer Dynamax Cannon and Flamethrower coupled with two utility moves such as Toxic and Recover; Sylveon counters these variants. Sylveon can even scout for Eternatus using Protect, which will appear on all Sylveon sets. Both Calm Mind Sylveon and Heal Bell Sylveon excel against fat teams, as Sylveon cannot be broken by passive means whatsoever, unless it is the Calm Mind variant in which it can be Toxic stalled, but even then Sylveon's Wishes will make Toxic stalling take longer than usual. Quagsire and Sylveon also compliment each other near-perfectly, only really losing to Sludge Bomb Eternatus. The fact that you can cover all of Sylveon's problems with a single slot is amazing, and so I think Sylveon should go to B-.

Jaajgko

I will disband the soccer club
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
:Quagsire: B -> B+
Checks most physical setup sweepers in the tier with curse, and is tricky to switch into if it has toxic. Always useful to have on bulky teams, even mandatory sometimes, and a lot "safer" than certain picks like Hippo. It doesn't have rocks tho and often has to recover, so B+ seems a nice place for it, but B feels too low for such a staple for fat teams.

:Zekrom: A+ -> A
Without dynamax Zekrom has a way harder time breaking through Quagsire and Hippo, and with Excadrill getting better it's looking more difficult to get it to sweep the opposing team. Overall it has various answers (Excadrill, Iron Defense Ferro, Curse Quag, Hippo, Lunala) which aren't easy to get through (except for lunala, team support like ttar can break the shadow shield for it) and doesn't provide big utility to teams either. Still, the four aforementioned aren't easy to have on every team, and it's a dangerous threat in match-ups without those, so A rank seems fitting.

I could also see Kyurem-Black and Gothitelle rising, Hydreigon, Ditto, Sableye and Mew dropping, but I don't have much experience with them in the current meta to make a real nomination, so I'll let other people follow up with my suggestions

Last edited:
quagsire.png
Quagsire B -> A-

This mon can put out a stupid amount of work, especially with a special wall/tank like Tyranitar or Lunala in the team. It basically blanket checks all physical attackers in the game and stall them out with Recover/Toxic or burn with Scald.

In the replay below, it was the last mon remaining and it beat Eternatus/Ditto/Corvniknight/Zacian by itself. Literally won a lost match lol.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ubers-1097274810

scorbunnys

Don't dream your life, but live your dream. #Bunny
Hi guys, today I will propose some proposals for Ubers
The changes:
Discussion Noms:
1586968665006.png
C to A- (Somewhat Agree, but B- underestimates her a lot) - Definitely C and B- underestimates her because she is a valuable wishpasser who can check Specs Kyurem White, Eternatus Specs Draco Meteor and can pressure Mandibuzz, apart from this Sylveon can drop Heal Bell by Yawn, although he would lose the chance to heal from altered states, with Yawn he presses switches and this can be quite useful, also if he takes Calm Mind he can check Reshiram better and if he boosts at +1 with Calm Mind, he only receives 4HKO from Kyurem White Specs, Sylveon is undoubtedly one of the best supports of Ubers, he added that also if he carries a physical defensive EV Spread, it can be a very interesting check from Marshadow, the rest I think he already said supreeee
PD: I speak feminine because of her appearance, but I don't think it's important.

1587418467699.png
UR to B- (Agree) - I think everything was already mentioned in the post above, so I don't have much to say about Drednaw, it is basically for its good coverage and its gmax, there is not much more really (I'm doing a little summary), next!

1586968675249.png
B to A- (Agree) - Quagsire offers great team support, especially on the fattest teams, Unaware is great capacity with which it can handle SD Necrozma DM, SD Zacian-C, Dugtrio and Bulk Up Marshadow which is amazing in one slot because all they are very common, this makes it possible to pair it with many mons and it is very easy to splash, without a doubt B+ is its perfect rank, the rest has already been mentioned above.

1586968700809.png
A+ to A (Disagree, i can see it drop in the future, but not now) - I don't think it should drop, Zekrom although it is difficult to splash in teams that are not offensive, it has a great facility to sweep, thanks to Teravolt, you do not have to worry about Quagsire and Hippowdon because Zekrom Outrage can OHKO both if you boost +2 and it is Adamant + Substitute, so we have a mon that makes it very easy for him to sweep, it will probably drop to A rank in the future, but not now, A+ at the moment (although in a low part)
PD: Zekrom can use Weather Ball in Hail teams and Rain teams for Hippowdon, but is very niche.

1587424616975.png
UR to A- (Disagree, but C rank can fits) - Pyukumuku still has a niche as an Unaware user with Soak and Block, but nowhere near is it worthy of A-, it is surpassed by Quagsire in many ways and is very passive, so other wallbreakers like Lunala Specs, Melmetal and Kyurem White Specs They can easily beat Pyukumuku, I think this thing is decent and workable without a doubt, but it is not top, although it is true that it is an alternative option to Quagsire.

1587447742728.png
UR to B (Very Agree) - Rotom Mow is great, it is a nice wallbreaker that is strong against Rain and Sand that can also be a hazzard removal and all this in the same slot is great, Electric / Grass is a unique typing that can beat Excadrill, Tyranitar, Quagsire and Hippowdon in the same slot, instead Rotom Heat is struggle to beat them, Rotom-M is viable and B is fine.

1587516328041.png
1587513881220.png
UR to B (Agree) - Both Max Airstream users have benefited from the dynamax clause, if Gyarados wears an adequate EV Spread, he can check Lunala Defensive even with WoW + Hex and if he boosts at +2 with Substitute and Lum Berry, Max Darkness can OHKO even If you have the Shadow Shield and then with Moxie you can easily sweep, on the other hand Rotom-F was already quite well mentioned, it is a mon that sweeps easily, Nasty Plot + Max Airstream is something that should not be neglected at all, it also has Max Lighting, the problem is that it depends a lot on the dynamax, but it fits perfectly in the Hyper Offense, Rotom-F is the second best Rotom after Rotom-M, it is difficult to tank and I think that both in B rank are perfectly fine.

My Own Noms:
1586983663036.png
A to A+ (High Part)
It is very difficult to wall, the best options to keep it under control are Zacian-C, Clefable, Defensive Eternatus and Sylveon (the latter two have if or if they have full physical defense), but there really is not much that can wall their attacks, Although Eternatus is common, I don't think it's enough for him not to get a raise.
252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Umbreon: 335-398 (85 - 101%) - 6.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery (does not usually carry full physical defense)
252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 99-118 (32.5 - 38.8%) - guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock (if it doesn't burn, you can do 1v1 and you can use Bulk Up)
252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 296-351 (84 - 99.7%) - guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Ferrothorn simply dies)
252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 173-204 (43.2 - 51%) - 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock (can match all his attacks and can hit hard after rocks)
252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 199-235 (50.5 - 59.6%) - guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Die from two hits)
252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 243-289 (52.3 - 62.2%) - 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (you can burn it, but still can't enter CC)
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Marshadow Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Lunala: 546-645 (114.2 - 134.9%) - guaranteed OHKO (even Shadow Sneak can OHKO after Shadow Shield breaks)
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 341-404 (85.6 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
Definitely Marshadow is a very dangerous threat that although it has a way of being stopped, it can sweep without much support and A rank does not reflect that so well, although at the bottom, A+ is fine

1586983690059.png
A+ to S (Below Necrozma DM)
Thanks to the dynamax clause, you no longer have to worry about threats like Marshadow Dynamax, Reshiram Dynamax and Necrozma DM Dynamax, Lunala is definitely benefited a lot, she no longer has real counters, Marshadow is one of the best, but Lunala can use Moongeist Beam and weaken it, then we have Umbreon, Snorlax and Mandibuzz which are the best counters, they are affected by Focus Blast + Calm Mind, so they are not reliable either, I mention that Snorlax is also affected by Will-O-Wisp, Hydreigon It is affected by the same combination and could continue like this for a long time, but I also mention that it is very splashable in most teams, its defensive typing is not bad at all and its sets are very flexible, there are very interesting cores like Lunala + Quagsire + Sylveon / Clefable or Lunala Offensive + Zacian-C that cover each other perfectly in a few slots, it's just great, but Necrozma DM is some more splashable and versatile, but Lunala in S in the below part is fine.

1586981612605.png
C to A-
Altough Umbreon or Sylveon is used instead, Vaporeon still has niches over both, to start with it is a better check from Dugtrio, Dracovish, Zacian-C and Excadrill in the same slot, something very useful in teams, I also mention that Unlike his cousins Umbreon and Sylveon, it is easier for him to use Dynamax because with his water type move he can put the rain and hit hard even if he is a defensive mon and thanks to the dynamax, he can better withstand all his counters and with the dynamax can also check Darm Galar Band with Superpower, which makes it very flexible, definitely its flexibility and versatility makes it a very easy choice to fit into teams, A- fits much better.

1586981665878.png
B- to C
It does not hit very hard and is easily walled by Sylveon, Clefable, Umbreon, Snorlax, Zacian, Zacian-C, Tyranitar and Mandibuzz, its speed is easily surpassed by Zacian-C and there really are not that many reasons to use it on Eternatus, the only reason The one I would keep it for in VR, is because of its unique typing that still checks Lunala, Mewtwo and Zekrom and can also pivot and is useful, I suppose, but if you already have a speed control and checks for Lunala, Mewtwo and Zekrom, simply use Eternatus, who is more versatile and strong against fairies.

1586981592048.png
B+ to A (Low Part)
Because threats like Dynamax Necrozma DM, Dynamax Marshadow and Dynamax Kyurem White left, they made Darmanitan Galar's life easier, since now Darmanitan Galar can sweep much easier and he can also overcome threats that are not due before because of guilt. dynamax, as in the case of Necrozma DM and Kyurem White, Necrozma DM dies of two Max Flare and Kyurem White has 50% of dying of a Max Hailstorm, so it is quite difficult to change to this mon, although it still has counters like Vaporeon and Melmetal, but there really isn't much else I can count this mon, it would definitely be nice if he went up a couple of ranks.

1586981579431.png
1587050213796.png
C to B-
Although both have strong competition with Sylveon who has better stats and a better match up vs the offensive dragons, they still have niches that undoubtedly exceed C rank, Hatterene on the one hand, has great ability with which Stall can beat very easily and It has a better Match Up vs Necrozma DM (only beat it in Trick Room and Hatterene has to do dynamax to beat it), Toxapex and Eternatus, which can be useful for various teams, because unlike Sylveon, Hatterene fits better in offensive constructions And you can control Offense if Hatterene has a Trick Room, although making the switch in a Hatterene is very difficult, definitely Hatterene is very strong, but it does not work in all teams and it is not very splashy and on the other hand, Clefable is much more versatile, for example Clefable makes it easier to swing with Baton Pass or Teleport, because while Sylveon worries about chip damage, Clefable quietly avoids it with Magic Guard, which gives him a Better MU vs HO Spikes teams and while with Unaware, it ignores boost, which is useful vs setup sweepers like DD Zekrom or BU Marshadow, although it is true that Sylveon stands up to B + for its obvious qualities like being able to count Kyurem White Specs and its biggest special bulk, Clefable still has a niche, I also mention that Clefable has Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave and Soft-Boiled, all three movements are very useful, because it is made by an SR Setter that is also bulky and offers speed control, I certainly don't think C rank is a good rank for Clefable.

1586981557038.png
C to D / UR
It does not have a consistent niche at the moment, on the defensive side it is simply notably surpassed by Necrozma DM and Melmetal, even though Zamazenta Crowned is a counter of Darmanitan Galar, Melmetal does that same job and can also do Dynamax, so also It is defensively superior because it has better coverages too, however Zamazenta Crowned hits weak and depends on a cleric like Sylveon or Clefable to stand out and if that is what stands out and offensively he is better Zacian-C, he has more speed and better coverages and Melmetal is also basically Zamazenta-C but better, I definitely cannot see Zamazenta C in any real team, I also mention that his defensive typing is meh and really his speed is not at all something that really stands out, because Melmetal is resistant and can dynamax and if you want something fast, use Zacian-C, Zamazenta-C is outclassed in every aspect and I see him going down to OU in the future.

1586981539547.png
B to A-
Although his Curse set is very good, he still has another very good set, AV Snorlax, although he does not have Rest to recover, AV Snorlax has a better match against Kyurem White, Eternatus, Reshiram Specs and CM Lunala and can also carry Power-Up Punch to raise the attack by the way and although it depends on a Wisher like Sylveon and Umbreon to be able to stand out, definitely being able to handle so many threats in a single slot is very valuable, it definitely deserves to be rise.

1586981529149.png
B+ to B
Now that things like Necrozma DM and Zacian-C are lowering their use a bit, Rotom Heat has also fallen a bit, now he has to struggles a lot against things like Zekrom and Tyranitar that are going up in use, basically the metagame is not favoring him much and that must be reflected, however his Trick Scarf set is really good, so he still has quite a niche, but B+ does not reflect what he is now, B rank is perfect.

1587050242956.png
B to A-
Why is B? Band Zacian has no changes, can attack Lunala with Crunch, Close Combat can OHKO Zacian Crowned after 1 layer of spikes and also does 2HKO to Necrozma DM, Psychic Fangs It is for Eternatus and now Eternatus normally drops Sludge Bomb by Flamethrower and Play Rough is for everything else, Zacian definitely lacks checks, although on the other hand, he does not have a good speed and if he carries Scarf, he loses that extra power, but definitely in Spikes Teams it can work and B rank underestimates it a lot.

1587050273801.png
1587050292945.png
A- to B+ (or lower)
The problem with both is that there are now a lot of wallbreakers that cause pressure on teams like Kyurem White, Reshiram, Lunala, Zacian Band and Zacian Crowned (with Wild Charge and a Swords Dance boost, you can OHKO To Toxpex), so your '' high bulks '' that they have, it is completely invalidated with so many offensive pokemon, they are also both outclassed by better mons, Toxapex on the one hand, it is surpassed by Vaporeon, Vaporeon has Wish and is less passive, so as I said Before, Vaporeon can even do dynamax without problems and Ferrothorn on the other hand, is simply surpassed by Necrozma DM, the latter is more offensive, has a much more reliable recovery and has an ability that makes him hold more, although they have niches, definitely I don't see them solid, definitely B + rank fits better BUT just for now, I definitely see them going much lower.

1587050104394.png
A to A-
Another drop I know, but the reason now is that Corviknight is very easy to overwhelm in such an offensive metagame, things like Marshadow, Zacian-C with Swords Dance, Zacian and Reshiram, plus Corviknight also suffers a lot of competition for Necrozma DM, usually Necrozma DM + Lunala Defog is preferred, so it is very difficult to fit in many builds, so although it is still good, it is not solid, A- rank is the best for this.

1587418495864.png
C to B+
Dynamax Melmetal is quite good, it can beat Necrozma DM and Max Quake Max Steelspike is a combination that makes it very bulky on both sides, so it can better withstand blows, plus DIB is a difficult move to change, its only change It is Necrozma DM, but this one can eat a Max Quake Dynamax, so it leaves it as a mon difficult to change, but it has problems like its slowness and its low special bulk, but I think its good characteristics are enough to guarantee a rise.

Attachments

Last edited:
Here's some of my proposed ranking changes!

S rank:

Self explanatory

A- rank:

Powerful physical wall that is 2hkod by +6 DM Necro with baton pass capability. Toxic-soak-block is an interesting niche that boosts its capability from a defensive pivot to a stallbreaker as well. In short, this is a versatile pokemon that you need to have on your team!

B rank:

Very cool pivot that exploits everyone trying to use Excadrill-Dynamax and Zekroms. Plus side is that it plays on counter-trend of Quagsire against these two by threatening with Leaf storm. I've been experimenting with defog set and it has been a tremendous success. It is able to reliably defog versus many teams since they usually rely on physical attackers to overwhelm Defogger which this pokemon plays on.

Very cool pokemon. You can use it as wish passer/cleric physical wall. However, it can be slightly frail so you need to play with it very safely. So, it is restricted to highly defensive or balance teams that need wish/cleric. It's certainly better than likes of Dracovish and Hydregion, so that's why I placed it here.

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
UR -> B
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ubers-1091540434-60vushmfdnqbwmaunazc6rukvdgitz9pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ubers-1099046746
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ubers-1099120318
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ubers-1099518014
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ubers-1099500441
This Pokémon is way too good to not be ranked post-Dynamax Clause. Gyarados can very easily snowball on late-game due to Moxie combined with Max Airstream and being able to put its own rain, it's easily one of the best Dynamax abusers for now. Although it has some 4MSS, it still is very hard to answer depending on its coverage (Sub for status, EQ for Etern and Zekrom, even Max Flare for Ferrothorn as seen above), and it also matchups well against sand (which has been on the rise) due to hitting both abusers and setters super effectively and removing their weather to put its own. Being slower than Jolly Zacian at +1 kinda sucks, but still, dual screens lets it easily find setup opportunities and the fact that you can't Dynamax stuff like Zekrom and Lunala to hold it anymore is great for it, so it should be ranked.

A- -> A
This might be a bit of a hot take, but hear me out. Excadrill is THE Dynamax user now, being extremely hard to answer once it gets going on sand. +2 OHKOes nearly everything and Ground is great for this meta, as even Corviknight can't reliably answer it after it has used SD:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Max Rockfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 289-341 (72.2 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The fact that Tyranitar also is good now due to Lunala and Eternatus only helps it, as it's not uncommon that the opponent sets the sand for you, and Excadrill can also set its own sand. This is more because I feel Excadrill is better than everything in A- than comparing it to the other A mons, but this is super good.

So, here's my call :

View attachment 235752 From None ranked => C or B- View attachment 235752

As we might all noticed, weather has been really relevant since the Dynamax ban. And Drednaw have proven itself as the best rain abuser so far. It's Pure raw power combined to its perfect coverage and its Gigamax form, which allows it to setup Stealth Rocks, is enough to be worth at least a C rank in the VR.

Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Crunch

Liquidation is your only STAB, which transform into G-Max Stonesurge, a 130BP STAB under Rain that sets up Stealth Rocks. Other moves are just basic coverage to pick up specific kills (Earthquake for Eternatus and Zekrom, Superpower for Ferrothorn, Crunch for Lunala). Life Orb allows you to connect almost if not all OHKO that you're willing to connect, here's a few calcs that are relevant :

On offensiv threats :

252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Geyser vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zacian-Crowned in Rain: 368-434 (113.2 - 133.5%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Quake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zekrom: 317-374 (92.9 - 109.6%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Quake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eternatus: 387-458 (91.9 - 108.7%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Darkness vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 411-484 (98.7 - 116.3%) (Shadow Shield is up of course)
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Geyser vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal in Rain: 308-363 (65.2 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

On defensiv mons :
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Geyser vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire in Rain: 333-394 (84.5 - 100%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Quake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 198-234 (65.1 - 76.9%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Geyser vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Necrozma-Dusk-Mane in Rain: 259-305 (65 - 76.6%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Geyser vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Zamazenta-Crowned in Rain: 253-298 (65.2 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Geyser vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight in Rain: 292-344 (73 - 86%)

So far, i've only seen Dusk-Mane as a relevant counter, as it can survive the G-Max Stonesurge and Thunder Wave it back. Otherwise, even defensiv Eternatus will struggle as you'll boost your SpDef with Max Quake, making you hard to Revenge Kill with Dynamax Canoon. Other decent check i've seen is Dynamaxed Melmetal, as it'll have enough Def to survive hits and hit back with Steelspike or Lightning :

252+ Atk Life Orb Drednaw-Gmax Max Geyser vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Melmetal in Rain: 308-363 (32.6 - 38.4%)

Hence why i'd only put it C for now. Unlike Excadrill, Drednaw can't setup and his Double Type makes it a bit weak to several moves like Steel or Electrik moves.
But Drednaw has been claming at least 2 or 3 kills each games, specially against highly offensiv teams. Even defensiv teams will struggle against it unless you run Water Immunity, which is quite uncommon in Ubers.

S/o :
- To KyogreF4N lul
Agree with this, Drednaw can put some work and is the best rain sweeper by a good margin. Almost nothing can take it on during G-Max on rain between its STABs and Ground and Fighting/Dark coverage. I feel B- fits it better since it destroys offensive teams, but this needs to be ranked either way.

I also disagree with Zacian and Lunala above Necrozma: Necro still is, imo, the most splashable Pokémon in the tier. Defensive DD still checks almost any physical attacker that doesn't have strong Ground coverage and works as a wincon, while TR seems to be on the rise too. Zacian is good, but every team is prepared for it with Necrozma, Quagsire, or both, and being Ditto food sucks (especially SD, but I think this is a bad set in general unless you run something like Substitute alongside it, which makes you lose out on coverage lol). Lunala is great, but not as easy to fit as Necrozma imo, which is why it should stay top 2 for me.

Last edited:
₳nnɆⓎⓉ (Hitmonlee) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Reversal
- Throat Chop

Above I show my ladder set which is not that bad.While Ghost types spoil it and priority and sash/Sturdy,if any of those are missing,And Hitmonlee gets its 1HP biz done,it sweeps the competition.Later I will update with an answer to Ghost types.So while I know this set is super bad right now,it needs to at least grab attention on the matter.So i think with this set I will update right after this post is done,hitmonlee deserves its attention to at least the d rank maybe c if you will.Thank you for your patience.

In conclusion,Hitmonlee needs its case to the matter.
And for more support in this case,Hitmonlee has Unburden so if it loses the item,it will have 2x the speed.
I updated this set before I posted this so I will edit the set later,I need some testing evidence.
Sincerely,Acronius-

Last edited:

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
Gonna add some of my own nominaions and while these may sound like crazy talk, but zamazenta crowned is in C rank and does a whole lotta nothing for a mon so if zamazenta crowned and solgaleo can be on the VR, so can these

1587403433836.png
For B-
This may sounds crazy, but this pokemon is actually a really good sweeper in this tier thanks to dynamax. It's one of the better max airstream cleaners thanks to nasty plot, and having setup oppurtunities against the likes of Ferrothorn, Corviknight, Mandibuzz, Phys def necrozma dusk mane, and all the Eeveelutions. Once you get +2 which is not a hard prospect to achieve, it becomes nigh impossible to take a hit for even some of the more sturdy ubers like eternatus, and even lunala is viable to be ohko'd by a max phantasm. It's a sweeper that also isn't particularly bothered by quagsire, as they don't run toxic, and you can easily break it. On top of this, it also has the boon of being able to outrun zacian at +1 and nuke it with a Max Lightning, which competitions like Gyarados and Togekiss cannot do. It's typing also has solid defensive utility, being able to switch into moves in a pinch such as Zamazenta CC, Thunder Wave Grimmsnarl, and Sunsteel Strike from Necrozma Dusk Mane. And proceed to set up or simply dynamax to poke holes.
With these traits i believe its superior to most of the pokemon in C Rank, besides pelipper and potentially Melmetal, which those should rise for other reasons, and should also be B-, and thus, i believe rotom-fan should be B-.

+2 252 SpA Rotom-Fan Max Airstream vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 321-378 (91.1 - 107.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Rotom-Fan Max Airstream vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eternatus: 382-450 (78.9 - 92.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
+2 252 SpA Rotom-Fan Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Unaware Quagsire: 150-177 (38 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 SpA Rotom-Fan Max Airstream vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Unaware Quagsire: 259-306 (65.7 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Rotom-Fan Max Lightning vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zacian-Crowned: 324-382 (99.6 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Rotom-Fan Max Airstream vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-White: 364-430 (93 - 109.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

4 Atk Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Sunsteel Strike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Fan: 75-89 (31.1 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Fan: 138-163 (57.2 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Rotom-Fan: 138-163 (28.6 - 33.8%) -- 61.4% chance to 3HKO

Other nominations i'll agree on
So, here's my call :

View attachment 235752 From None ranked => C or B- View attachment 235752

Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Crunch

On offensiv threats :

On defensiv mons :

But Drednaw has been claming at least 2 or 3 kills each games, specially against highly offensive teams. Even defensive teams will struggle against it unless you run Water Immunity, which is quite uncommon in Ubers.

S/o :
- To KyogreF4N lul
Agree with this a hundred percent. Drednaw has been a fantastic sweeper in the times i've used it, and i also believe its superior to the garbage of zamazenta crowned and solgaleo, aswell as superior to some of the B- mons such as rotom-wash.

I would like to reiterate a nomination here.
1587406465371.png
to UR and (possibly) downgraded to OU
1587406481542.png
lacks any sort of niche in Ubers, even with the mediocrity in C-. So why does the viability rankings imply that
1587406624259.png
has a seat in Ubers, with the likes of its superior friends of
1587406716250.png
and
1587406737796.png
? At least
1587407061085.png
can check top-tier threats better, has superior coverage, and isn't passive,
1587407026859.png
is a decent-but-overshadowed Choice Scarfer, and
1587406867222.png
1587406886659.png
, and
1587406950771.png
are respectable hazard and weather setters for hyper offensive and rain teams.
Everyone knows that
1587406513427.png
is WAAAAAY inferior to
1587406535101.png
1587406545918.png
, and
1587406564665.png
. This is why I would like that to argue that
1587407079581.png
is essentially Black Kyurem 2.0, and an overall waste of space in the C- ranking:
  • Its movepool is extremely lacking, and this directly impacts its role in Ubers. If one were to look at
    1587407193617.png
    's stats, it possible viable roles could have been an offensive wall or a speedy Stealth rocker/spikes setter. Yet it lacks key coverage like Body Press, Recover, Stealth Rock, Spikes, or anything that would make it stand out, even in comparison in the mentioned mons in C-. Like Black Kyurem, it can't abuse its ability and high Def. stats. So what can it do? Its RestTalk + Behemoth Bash + Howl is outclassed by nearly everything in Ubers, removes a key advantage of abusing its high speed, and extremely passive. Rest, a subpar 130 Atk stat can not be boosted efficiently, Metal Burst, and Close Combat is not enough to justify it playing a decent role in Ubers. It is almost like
    1587410854518.png
    suffers an identity crisis.
  • 1587407596105.png
    can not check top-tier threats well. Everything it would check would be better suited to
    1587407740064.png
    1587407754607.png
    , or
    1587407768432.png
    . (
    1587409762673.png
    can not check special attackers meaningfully). Putting
    1587407776093.png
    on any serious team is a dangerous liability, and as shown below, is extremely passive and needs extreme team support to even function.
  • +1 252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Close Combat vs. +1 252 HP / 132+ Def Zamazenta-Crowned: 212-250 (54.6 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Jolly Zacian will also likely 2HKO, if you define "likely" as 99.6%).
    • 0 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. -1 4 HP / 0 Def Zacian-Crowned: 180-213 (55.2 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (CC Def. Drop) and is generally Zamazenta's best punish in Ubers.
  • 0 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 42-50 (10.5 - 12.5%) -- possible 8HKO (against Bulky DD variants)
  • 0 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 42-49 (10.5 - 12.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever (against Stealth rocker variants)
  • 0 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 102-120 (25.6 - 30.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
    • In turn, this gives such variants of
      1587408121147.png
      free opportunites to set up boosts (and possibly multiple), which is dangerous. Or give it a free turn of setting up rocks, which will bite later. It is not like
      1587408332275.png
      can clear or stop hazards.
  • 4 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Zekrom Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta-Crowned: 190-226 (48.9 - 58.2%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO (Life Orb DD variants)
  • +2 252 Atk Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. +1 252 HP / 132+ Def Zamazenta-Crowned: 189-223 (48.7 - 57.4%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO
    • 0 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zekrom: 57-68 (16.7 - 19.9%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
    • Since
      1587408452680.png
      fails to even 3HKO or break substitutes (unless you use CC, which opposes to its role) from Zekrom, congrats, free boosts for
      1587408502737.png
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. +1 252 HP / 132+ Def Zamazenta-Crowned: 198-237 (51 - 61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • Poor
      1587408785334.png
      : 0 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Marshadow: 243-286 (75.7 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
So the real question is, would dropping
1587409203140.png
to OU overwhelm the metagame? I believe the answer is mostly no. While its RestTalk+ Howl + Behemoth Bash set would benefit, and possible see the emergence of more offensive sets, it has more than enough weaknesses to justify its existence down under. As long as it can not fully abuse its Defense stats, ability, and speed, it is still going to be facing plenty of competition from
1587409459621.png
1587409545114.png
1587409555073.png
1587409561627.png
, and
1587409597666.png
for their overlapping roles. Mons like
1587409722501.png
1587410176377.png
1587409820373.png
1587410690712.png
and even
1587410275715.png
can certainly take a Behemoth Bash or CC and retaliate offensively, while mons like
1587410026363.png
1587410043137.png
1587410051760.png
1587410216951.png
, and
1587410351212.png
can defensively check or counter it.
  • 0 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kommo-o: 133-157 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- 44.1% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kommo-o: 162-192 (55.6 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • +1 252 SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta-Crowned: 178-210 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO
    • +1 252+ SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta-Crowned: 196-232 (50.5 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • (Can tank a CC, set up Clangorous Soul, and outspeed with Modest or Timid Natures)
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Thunder Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 78-92 (25.6 - 30.2%) -- 0.2% chance to 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Thunder Fang vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Corviknight: 130-154 (32.5 - 38.5%) -- 2.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Corviknight: 180-213 (45 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Aegislash-Blade: 61-72 (23.3 - 27.5%) -- 82% chance to 4HKO
  • 252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta-Crowned: 192-226 (59 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta-Crowned: 216-256 (66.4 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 208-246 (65.6 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (fails to outspeed)
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mandibuzz: 189-223 (44.5 - 52.5%) -- 23.8% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Heat: 186-219 (61.3 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • 8 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta-Crowned: 216-254 (66.4 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 127-150 (30.2 - 35.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 163-193 (40.3 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Hawlucha Close Combat vs. +1 0 HP / 2+ Def Zamazenta-Crowned: 152-180 (46.7 - 55.3%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Necrozma: 162-192 (40.7 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    • 252+ SpA Necrozma Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta-Crowned: 162-192 (49.8 - 59%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
However, it is worth noting that
1587410499030.png
's CC and Behemoth Bash is significantly less passive, and can achieve 2HKOes (and outspeed) with some investment against some of the premiere offensive threats in OU. Unlike Solgaleo,
1587410901581.png
can not afford to hold another item, prefers not to fully invest in its speed, and its attack stat is significantly lower.

Attachments

View attachment 238648 to UR and (possibly) downgraded to OU
View attachment 238649 lacks any sort of niche in Ubers, even with the mediocrity in C-. So why does the viability rankings imply that View attachment 238655 has a seat in Ubers, with the likes of its superior friends of View attachment 238656 and View attachment 238657? At least View attachment 238662 can check top-tier threats better, has superior coverage, and isn't passive, View attachment 238661 is a decent-but-overshadowed Choice Scarfer, and View attachment 238658, View attachment 238659, and View attachment 238660 are respectable hazard and weather setters for hyper offensive and rain teams.
Everyone knows that View attachment 238651 is WAAAAAY inferior to View attachment 238652, View attachment 238653, and View attachment 238654. This is why I would like that to argue that View attachment 238663 is essentially Black Kyurem 2.0, and an overall waste of space in the C- ranking:
  • Its movepool is extremely lacking, and this directly impacts its role in Ubers. If one were to look at View attachment 238664's stats, it possible viable roles could have been an offensive wall or a speedy Stealth rocker/spikes setter. Yet it lacks key coverage like Body Press, Recover, Stealth Rock, Spikes, or anything that would make it stand out, even in comparison in the mentioned mons in C-. Like Black Kyurem, it can't abuse its ability and high Def. stats. So what can it do? Its RestTalk + Behemoth Bash + Howl is outclassed by nearly everything in Ubers, removes a key advantage of abusing its high speed, and extremely passive. Rest, a subpar 130 Atk stat can not be boosted efficiently, Metal Burst, and Close Combat is not enough to justify it playing a decent role in Ubers. It is almost like View attachment 238702 suffers an identity crisis.
  • View attachment 238665 can not check top-tier threats well. Everything it would check would be better suited to View attachment 238666, View attachment 238667, or View attachment 238668. (View attachment 238689 can not check special attackers meaningfully). Putting View attachment 238669 on any serious team is a dangerous liability, and as shown below, is extremely passive and needs extreme team support to even function.
  • +1 252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Close Combat vs. +1 252 HP / 132+ Def Zamazenta-Crowned: 212-250 (54.6 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Jolly Zacian will also likely 2HKO, if you define "likely" as 99.6%).
    • 0 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. -1 4 HP / 0 Def Zacian-Crowned: 180-213 (55.2 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (CC Def. Drop) and is generally Zamazenta's best punish in Ubers.
  • 0 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 42-50 (10.5 - 12.5%) -- possible 8HKO (against Bulky DD variants)
  • 0 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 42-49 (10.5 - 12.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever (against Stealth rocker variants)
  • 0 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 102-120 (25.6 - 30.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
    • In turn, this gives such variants of View attachment 238673 free opportunites to set up boosts (and possibly multiple), which is dangerous. Or give it a free turn of setting up rocks, which will bite later. It is not like View attachment 238676 can clear or stop hazards.
  • 4 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Zekrom Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta-Crowned: 190-226 (48.9 - 58.2%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO (Life Orb DD variants)
  • +2 252 Atk Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. +1 252 HP / 132+ Def Zamazenta-Crowned: 189-223 (48.7 - 57.4%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO
    • 0 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zekrom: 57-68 (16.7 - 19.9%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
    • Since View attachment 238677 fails to even 3HKO or break substitutes (unless you use CC, which opposes to its role) from Zekrom, congrats, free boosts for View attachment 238678
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. +1 252 HP / 132+ Def Zamazenta-Crowned: 198-237 (51 - 61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • Poor View attachment 238679: 0 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Marshadow: 243-286 (75.7 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
So the real question is, would dropping View attachment 238681 to OU overwhelm the metagame? I believe the answer is mostly no. While its RestTalk+ Howl + Behemoth Bash set would benefit, and possible see the emergence of more offensive sets, it has more than enough weaknesses to justify its existence down under. As long as it can not fully abuse its Defense stats, ability, and speed, it is still going to be facing plenty of competition from View attachment 238683, View attachment 238684, View attachment 238685, View attachment 238686, and View attachment 238687 for their overlapping roles. Mons like View attachment 238688, View attachment 238694, View attachment 238690, View attachment 238701and even View attachment 238696 can certainly take a Behemoth Bash or CC and retaliate offensively, while mons like View attachment 238691, View attachment 238692, View attachment 238693, View attachment 238695, and View attachment 238697 can defensively check or counter it.
  • 0 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kommo-o: 133-157 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- 44.1% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kommo-o: 162-192 (55.6 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • +1 252 SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta-Crowned: 178-210 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO
    • +1 252+ SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta-Crowned: 196-232 (50.5 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • (Can tank a CC, set up Clangorous Soul, and outspeed with Modest or Timid Natures)
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Thunder Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 78-92 (25.6 - 30.2%) -- 0.2% chance to 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Thunder Fang vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Corviknight: 130-154 (32.5 - 38.5%) -- 2.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Corviknight: 180-213 (45 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Aegislash-Blade: 61-72 (23.3 - 27.5%) -- 82% chance to 4HKO
  • 252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta-Crowned: 192-226 (59 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta-Crowned: 216-256 (66.4 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 208-246 (65.6 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (fails to outspeed)
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mandibuzz: 189-223 (44.5 - 52.5%) -- 23.8% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Heat: 186-219 (61.3 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • 8 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta-Crowned: 216-254 (66.4 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 127-150 (30.2 - 35.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 163-193 (40.3 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Hawlucha Close Combat vs. +1 0 HP / 2+ Def Zamazenta-Crowned: 152-180 (46.7 - 55.3%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Behemoth Bash (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Necrozma: 162-192 (40.7 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    • 252+ SpA Necrozma Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta-Crowned: 162-192 (49.8 - 59%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
However, it is worth noting that View attachment 238698's CC and Behemoth Bash is significantly less passive, and can achieve 2HKOes (and outspeed) with some investment against some of the premiere offensive threats in OU. Unlike Solgaleo, View attachment 238703 can not afford to hold another item, prefers not to fully invest in its speed, and its attack stat is significantly lower.
we can't ur it because it's an uber

we can't ur it because it's an uber
Perhaps it could be unranked, but still remain in ubers, or make a even lower tier. But, I don't think anyone wants a D-tier to be created (I personally think it would be redundant). But my point still stands: zamazenta-c should not be in c-, let alone ranked in ubers.
EDIT: on the natdex rankings, zamazenta-c would be considered an Uber, yet it doesn't even appear in the d-tier along with deoxy-defense. So it is certainly possible for it to be unranked and still be considered an Uber.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
View attachment 238648 to UR and (possibly) downgraded to OU
I am afraid we will have to pass on this one.

Sincerely,
OU

For the record, we have no plans to retest it in the foreseeable future, but also everything listed in tiers tends to be ranked somewhere. This tends to be why C or D ranks are bloated with Pokemon you do not oftentimes see in higher level games; while they are used on lower ladder or by less competent players enough to be tiered in the tier, they are not actually effective options and become bottom-dwellers in the VR. As for Ubers, it is based off of a banlist of Pokemon from OU, so it is simply the worst things in this metagame that are still broken in OU that will fill this place.

I am afraid we will have to pass on this one.

Sincerely,
OU

For the record, we have no plans to retest it in the foreseeable future, but also everything listed in tiers tends to be ranked somewhere. This tends to be why C or D ranks are bloated with Pokemon you do not oftentimes see in higher level games; while they are used on lower ladder or by less competent players enough to be tiered in the tier, they are not actually effective options and become bottom-dwellers in the VR. As for Ubers, it is based off of a banlist of Pokemon from OU, so it is simply the worst things in this metagame that are still broken in OU that will fill this place.
Okay then, thank you for your time here and have a great and safe time!
EDIT: I know that the post is one of my more controversial stances, but I am really grateful of all of the feedback and people reading it. Thank you guys!

Last edited:
Perhaps it could be unranked, but still remain in ubers, or make a even lower tier. But, I don't think anyone wants a D-tier to be created (I personally think it would be redundant). But my point still stands: zamazenta-c should not be in c-, let alone ranked in ubers.
EDIT: on the natdex rankings, zamazenta-c would be considered an Uber, yet it doesn't even appear in the d-tier along with deoxy-defense. So it is certainly possible for it to be unranked and still be considered an Uber.
Why shouldn't a D tier be made? Ubers has made it clear both in this generation and past gens that every Uber pokemon will, in some way, be on the VR - and often, for bad Ubers like Blaziken, Solgaleo, or certain Arceus forms, that's in D rank. If Zamazenta-C is really that bad, and it's not moved to OU, D rank would be a great place for it, even if it's by its lonesome.

Also, that natdex comparison is meaningless. That's AG, not Nat Dex Ubers. In Gen 7 and 6, there were plenty of ubers totally unranked in AG. It's a whole different metagame. But this isn't AG, so it doesn't matter one way or another..

Why shouldn't a D tier be made? Ubers has made it clear both in this generation and past gens that every Uber pokemon will, in some way, be on the VR - and often, for bad Ubers like Blaziken, Solgaleo, or certain Arceus forms, that's in D rank. If Zamazenta-C is really that bad, and it's not moved to OU, D rank would be a great place for it, even if it's by its lonesome.

Also, that natdex comparison is meaningless. That's AG, not Nat Dex Ubers. In Gen 7 and 6, there were plenty of ubers totally unranked in AG. It's a whole different metagame. But this isn't AG, so it doesn't matter one way or another..
That's true. Perhaps a d rank could be installed here. Anyways, we should probably change the subject here in Ubers, since Zamazenta-c was mentioned by the moderator. But seriously, thank you!

scorbunnys

I also disagree with Zacian and Lunala above Necrozma: Necro still is, imo, the most splashable Pokémon in the tier. Defensive DD still checks almost any physical attacker that doesn't have strong Ground coverage and works as a wincon, while TR seems to be on the rise too. Zacian is good, but every team is prepared for it with Necrozma, Quagsire, or both, and being Ditto food sucks (especially SD, but I think this is a bad set in general unless you run something like Substitute alongside it, which makes you lose out on coverage lol). Lunala is great, but not as easy to fit as Necrozma imo, which is why it should stay top 2 for me.
Lunala fits in all teams lol, Necrozma DM struggles with Melmetal and Lunala WoW, altough yeah, Zacian-C below Necrozma DM it's okay, but Lunala is the best uber in my opinion

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I'll be taking on a nom now. Like Mapplle said, weather is super prevalent in the metagame, with Drednaw in rain(i support the nom)but I'm not talking rain. Nah, im talking SUN.

1587491964887.pngto B-

This mon is unholy under sun. Every time i used Venusaur, it either gets a kill or two, or forces stupid amounts of pressure due to its nearly perfect coverage that hits pretty much everything in the tier hard, bar mons like Lunala or Dusk Mane at full. It's an absolutely dangerous wallbreaker should it get the chance to come in for free.

Here's my set that i've been using to terrorize the ladder(peaked at 1594):
Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Giga Drain(chosen over Solar Beam due to increasing longevity with LO) and Sludge Bomb are your dual STABs. Earth Power hits Eternatus, Reshiram, and Zekrom and the other steel types outside of sun. Weather Ball does the same and has the benefit of hitting Corviknight and Ferrothorn. Growth is an option, but Venusaur is better off attacking more often than not due to its frailty against multiple threats it would rather smack.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ubers-1100813586 Venusaur basically 6-0s a team
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ubers-1100815851 Venusaur gets rid of the sand setter and Mewtwo, an otherwise threatening pokemon
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ubers-1100819046 Venusaur picks up the kill with Weather Ball.

To emphasize on Venusaur's power; A wall of calcs.
252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zacian-Crowned in Sun: 346-408 (106.4 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eternatus: 244-289 (57.9 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eternatus: 244-289 (50.4 - 59.7%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane in Sun: 273-322 (68.5 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Reshiram: 200-237 (58.6 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zekrom: 234-278 (68.6 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Marshadow in Sun: 213-251 (66.3 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 204 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 164-195 (40.5 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

And if you dynamax, it's power goes even further.

252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Max Flare vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane in Sun: 353-417 (88.6 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Max Quake vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Reshiram: 289-341 (84.7 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Max Overgrowth vs. 252 HP / 204 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 281-330 (69.5 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Max Quake vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eternatus: 354-416 (84 - 98.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

And most of these calcs are without hazards, or chip damage that its teammates are more than happy to dish out on its opponents, with potential partners such as Zacian-Crowned, who benefits from venusaur getting damage off on Bulky steels like Corviknight and Necrozma-DM, and of course, Torkoal, which can obviously set up sun, set rocks to rack up damage on opposing Pokemon. and take on Tyranitar with Body Press. Overall, i think Venusaur has more than enough of what it takes in the big leagues here in Ubers.

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Lunala fits in all teams lol, Necrozma DM struggles with Melmetal and Lunala WoW, altough yeah, Zacian-C below Necrozma DM it's okay, but Lunala is the best uber in my opinion
Tbh, I wouldn't really mind that much Lunala as top 1 (both should absolutely be S rank), but I still feel Necrozma is superior. I disagree with Lunala fitting all teams, it is splashable, just not AS splashable as Necrozma (I find Necrozma easier to fit on sand teams than Lunala, for example), and most Pokémon today do carry coverage to hit it (Knock Off Necrozma/Drednaw, Crunch Zacian/Zekrom, etc) alongside some of its checks being on the rise, like Tyranitar, but at this point, it's mostly just debating one position. Speaking of that:

A+ -> S

Kinda weird to say this right after saying it's not as good as some people were saying, but yeah. Lunala, although not on the levels of Necrozma at that, still is good on both defensive and offensive teams. Although some of its checks are good today in general, this Pokémon doesn't have counters at all, as the few Pokémon that could take a hit between Moongeist Beam and Moonblast/Focus Blast hate being hit by Trick from Choiced Lunala. With Shadow Shield up, it also is one of the best Pokémon to waste the Dynamax from the opponent while spamming Roost or burning/paralyzing them, and it can also revenge kill super well due to its absurd bulk:

+4 252 Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala in Rain: 315-371 (75.7 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+4 252 Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 361-425 (86.7 - 102.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after sandstorm damage

And those are just from the CM set, as defensive checks almost every single physical attacker that doesn't have Dark or Ghost coverage. It's definitely a step above anything else.

A -> A+
Eternatus is a nightmare to deal with. Life Orb hits too hard while keeping a defensive niche, being of the few Pokémon that can actually switch safely against Marshadow while keeping offensive momentum and still not being easy to wear down. Dynamax Cannon / Flamethrower / Shadow Ball is checked only by Tyranitar (which only has Rest and Leftovers for longevity) and a few specially bulky Pokémon like Umbreon.
Cosmic Power Eternatus also still is a good wincon on late-game that many teams can't break at all and wins due to Pressure stall. Finally, it hitting Dynamax with double damage lets it have a more unique niche (Zacian can do that too, but there are more Dynamax users that resist Steel than Dragon from what I see), and it outspeeding and OHKOing every Dragon-type in the game (especially with Scarf letting it revenge kill Dragon Dance users like Zekrom and Kyurem-Black) is another point to it.

C -> B-
Melmetal carves its niche on this more physically based metagame, 1v1ing essentially any physical attacker, including those that it has a type disadvantage:
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 351-416 (74.3 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Melmetal Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 582-686 (161.2 - 190%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 204-240 (43.2 - 50.8%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Melmetal Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 235-277 (59 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Gyarados Max Quake vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 404-476 (85.5 - 100.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Gyarados: 836-988 (126.2 - 149.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 346-408 (73.3 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Melmetal Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zekrom: 328-388 (96.1 - 113.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Max Lightning vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal in Electric Terrain: 380-448 (80.5 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <- This calc is actually wrong, as the damage calculator is using Electric Terrain with its old 1.5x boost instead of 1.3x, so Melmetal would actually take around 69.9 - 82.3%
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Kyurem-Black: 828-976 (105.8 - 124.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 367-432 (77.7 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. +1 0 HP / 4 Def Marshadow: 332-392 (103.4 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (in case it would try to Bulk Up on its face first)
And those aren't even using Dynamax to make it naturally bulkier and able to boost its Special Defense, as, in that case, revenge killing it is hard too even by special threats:

252 SpA Lunala Moongeist Beam vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Melmetal: 241-285 (25.5 - 30.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
164 SpA Life Orb Eternatus Flamethrower vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Melmetal: 372-439 (39.4 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

This almost always goes neutral or positive against HO, and against bulkier teams, it still is hard to switch into if you lack Corviknight, as it can OHKO/2HKO Mandibuzz, Toxapex, Ferrothorn, Hippowdon, etc. And even Quagsire risk getting one flinch from Double Iron Bash and lose against it.

A -> A-
I feel like this kinda disappeared recently? Idk, but it seems super rare now. Mewtwo was one of the best Dynamax users when it was on A, but now, it can't protect itself from Marshadow's Shadow Sneak, it can't boost its Speed to not tie with Eternatus and outspeed Zacian, and Lunala and Dark-types rising makes it struggle more between Shadow Ball and Fighting coverage.

Other nominations that I just want to voice my support, but I won't elaborate on as I think it already was mostly described by other users:
A+ -> A
B -> B+

Last edited:

scorbunnys

Tbh, I wouldn't really mind that much Lunala as top 1 (both should absolutely be S rank), but I still feel Necrozma superior. I disagree with Lunala fitting all teams, it is splashable, just not AS splashable as Necrozma (I find Necrozma easier to fit on sand teams than Lunala, for example), and most Pokémon today do carry coverage to hit (Knock Off Necrozma/Drednaw, Crunch Zacian/Zekrom, etc) alongside some of its checks being on the rise like Tyranitar, but at this point, it's mostly just debating one position. Speaking of that:

A+ -> S

Kinda weird to say this right after saying it's not as good as some people were saying, but yeah. Lunala, although not on the levels of Necrozma at that, still is good on both defensive and offensive teams. Although some of its checks are good today in general, this Pokémon doesn't have counters at all, as the few Pokémon that could take a hit between Moongeist Beam and Moonblast/Focus Blast hate being hit by Trick from Choice Scarf Lunala. With Shadow Shield up, it also is one of the best Pokémon to waste the Dynamax from the opponent while spamming Roost or burning/paralyzing them, and it can also revenge kill super well due to its absurd bulk:

+4 252 Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala in Rain: 315-371 (75.7 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+4 252 Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 361-425 (86.7 - 102.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after sandstorm damage

And those are just from the CM set, as defensive checks almost every single physical attacker that doesn't have Dark or Ghost coverage. It's definitely a step above anything else.

A -> A+
Eternatus is a nightmare to deal with. Life Orb hits too hard while keeping a defensive niche, being of the few Pokémon that can actually switch safely against Marshadow while keeping offensive momentum and still not being easy to wear down. Dynamax Cannon / Flamethrower / Shadow Ball is checked only by Tyranitar (which only has Rest and Leftovers for longevity) and a few specially bulky Pokémon like Umbreon.
Cosmic Power Eternatus also still is a good wincon on late-game that many teams can't break at all and wins due to Pressure stall. Finally, it hitting Dynamax with double damage lets it have a more unique niche (Zacian can do that too, but there are more Dynamax users that resist Steel than Dragon from what I see), and it outspeeding and OHKOing every Dragon-type in the game (especially with Scarf letting it revenge kill Dragon Dance users like Zekrom and Kyurem-Black) is another point to it.

C -> B-
Melmetal carves its niche on this more physically based metagame, 1v1ing essentially any physical attacker, including those that it has a type disadvantage:
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 351-416 (74.3 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Melmetal Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 582-686 (161.2 - 190%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 204-240 (43.2 - 50.8%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Melmetal Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 235-277 (59 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Gyarados Max Quake vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 404-476 (85.5 - 100.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Gyarados: 836-988 (126.2 - 149.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 346-408 (73.3 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Melmetal Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zekrom: 328-388 (96.1 - 113.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Max Lightning vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal in Electric Terrain: 380-448 (80.5 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <- This calc is actually wrong, as the damage calculator is using Electric Terrain with its old 1.5x boost instead of 1.3x, so Melmetal would actually take around 69.9 - 82.3%
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Kyurem-Black: 828-976 (105.8 - 124.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 367-432 (77.7 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. +1 0 HP / 4 Def Marshadow: 332-392 (103.4 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (in case it would try to Bulk Up on its face first)
And those aren't even using Dynamax to make it naturally bulkier and able to boost its Special Defense, as, in that case, revenge killing it is hard too even by special threats:

252 SpA Lunala Moongeist Beam vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Melmetal: 241-285 (25.5 - 30.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
164 SpA Life Orb Eternatus Flamethrower vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Melmetal: 372-439 (39.4 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

This almost always goes neutral or positive against HO, and against bulkier teams, it still is hard to switch into if you lack Corviknight, as it can OHKO/2HKO Mandibuzz, Toxapex, Ferrothorn, Hippowdon, etc. And even Quagsire risk getting one flinch from Double Iron Bash and lose against it.

A -> A-
I feel like this kinda disappeared recently? Idk, but it seems super rare now. Mewtwo was one of the best Dynamax users when it was on A, but now, it can't protect itself from Marshadow's Shadow Sneak, it can't boost its Speed to not tie with Eternatus and outspeed Zacian, and Lunala and Dark-types rising makes it struggle more between Shadow Ball and Fighting coverage.

Other nominations that I just want to voice my support, but I won't elaborate on as I think it already was mostly described by other users:
A+ -> A
B -> B+
what you say is true, I think Lunala let Necrozma DM be down now, I hadn't thought about Sand for example, but now that I realize yes, it's true, altough Lunala it should be S

:Gothitelle:
B+ -> A-
I’m surprised Gothitelle is this low on the rankings.
Gothitelle (or rather STag) is one of the best support options in the game, only getting better as the main threats get better, and with Ubers the threats have never been better.
Hell, simply making it so Quagsire, the closest thing to a true Zacian-C counter to run Shed Shell instead of Leftovers is amazing enough.
On top of this, it’s great for scouting items as well. If any defensive Pokemon (besides Zamazenta-C lmao) has an item other than Shed Shell, it effectively is dead by Gothitelle and if it has Shed Shell, it can easily be worn down by its teammates or hazards, and with a tier where most walls are regular Pokemon, you don’t need that much chip damage. And by the off chance that the opponent has Clefable to wishpass, Gothitelle can just trick a choice scarf and onto it and cripple Clefable for the rest of the game.
And giving Gothitelle A- rank is pretty modest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)