UU SS UU Ladder Tournament 2021 - Playoffs [Won by Pokemonisfun]

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader

art by royalfluxh.

Welcome to the Playoffs portion of the SS UnderUsed Ladder Tournament! Now that we have reached the second stage, the 16 people who have qualified in the 4 laddering cycles will face off against each other in Best-of-Three sets in an attempt to emerge victorious.

Rules:
  • General tournament rules and regulations can be found here.
  • Standard SS UU.
  • Best of three, single elimination.
  • SS cartridge win conditions are in place, there are no ties.
  • Tiers are locked at the beginning of each round.
  • Replays are mandatory for each game in Playoffs.
The seeding after the last cycle is as follows, with ties decided by GXE:

#1 - pokemonisfun - 1750 Elo
#2 - Kink - 1701 Elo
#3 - Accel - 1691 Elo (88.1% GXE)
#4 - ProDigeZz - 1691 Elo (82.4% GXE)

#5 - Adaam - 1740 Elo
#6 - Lilburr - 1722 Elo
#7 - JustFranco - 1711 Elo
#8 - TheFlawlessWin - 1704 Elo
#9 - juan123juan - 1694 Elo
#10 - Shiba - 1691 Elo
#11 - Maki - 1690 Elo
#12 - rinnegan418 - 1687 Elo (81.9% GXE)
#13 - TMM - 1687 Elo (81.5% GXE)
#14 - dunoks - 1684 Elo
#15 - QWILY - 1674 Elo
#16 - KM - 1673 Elo

From this, we get the following pairings:

Round 1

#1 pokemonisfun vs #16 KM
#2 Kink vs #15 QWILY
#3 Accel vs #14 dunoks
#4 ProDigeZz vs #13 TMM
#5 Adaam vs #12 rinnegan418
#6 Lilburr vs #11 Maki
#7 JustFranco vs #10 Shiba
#8 TheFlawlessWin vs #9 juan123juan

Round 2

#1 pokemonisfun vs #8 TheFlawlessWin
#2 Kink vs #10 Shiba
#3 Accel vs #4 Maki
#4 ProDigeZz vs #5 Adaam

Round 3

#1 pokemonisfun vs #5 Adaam
#10 Shiba vs #4 Maki

Deadline is Sunday 4th July. Replays are necessary for all rounds.

Good luck to all participants and I hope you all have fun playing!

Last edited:

Accel

arise
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I forfeit my series and propose all 13 others do as well besides TheFlawlessWin and juan
Let me be justfranco with you.

I actually don't give adaam about this proposal. Maybe this is just another funny kink of yours but you have to understand that there are many prodigezz who strived to accel and therefore qualify for this tournament, all because pokemonisfun. Your proposal would deny these wonderful people from obtaining theflawlesswin and making it impossible for the next great UUer to emerge, not to mention bending tournament rules qwily-nilly. Honestly, I'm starting to question your intelligence at this point. Do you also expect a shiba inu to produce kitten milk??? Did you happen to write down juan123juan when your 2nd grade math teacher asked you to write down to word form of the number 11231? Did you misunderstand your 6th grade gym teacher's instructions to run around the track once and rinnegan418 times instead? Anyways I'm getting a lilburrnt out so hopefully you understand what I'm trying to tell you here. dunoks some sense into yourself, please.

1623723771030.png

Oh look, even treecko ma man disapproves of you. Shame on you.

Also rest in peace to Prince Amukamara. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Last edited:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
#1 pokemonisfun vs #16 KM
let's get a few things straight despite both of these users being anything but that - I absolutely adore KM and his mind for the game, particularly in the building department, is beyond unique. nobody who plays atm is nearly as willing to dumpster dive and make genuinely functional teams with it. for that reason, I think KM has a solid shot at taking this on the back of some really cool techs that might be able to knock pif out of his comfort zone. that said, pif is obviously one of the most experienced uuers ever, if not the single most. tough break to catch r1. considering how much he dominated this tour last year and how good of a player pif is overall, I think he'll take this pretty handily; KM's crackhead stuff will absolutely cruise its way to victory against a less experience player, but you won't pull the wool over pif's eyes quite as easily. def my favourite series of r1.

#2 Kink vs #15 QWILY
you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but kink proves time and time again that you don't need to learn new ones if the old ones still work just fine. every single time I see him bring teams that I think are senseless he just seems to win with them consistently, evidenced by his oodles of UU results over time in addition to a great recent UU Open run. qwily had a pretty solid UUFPL run if memory serves, I remember him playing p well against rinn in a high pressure game, and having played against him a couple times I know he's no pushover. I think kink's experience will be the deciding factor here but with some good support and a little aggression qwily's def got a shot.

#3 Accel vs #14 dunoks
dunoks has actually been very quietly putting up some good results for a little while, having had a decent open run and now qualifying here in a messy situation. in that sense, he's quite scary to face; he's obviously competent, but there's very little data on him, so accel will have his work cut out for him in preparation. that said, accel is just very very good at uu - no matter how disconnected he seems to get from the meta as a result of taking breaks every 15 minutes, he always comes back with a vengeance and just seems to farm and farm. i want to bold against him because of the post above me but I can't do it in good conscience.

#4 ProDigeZz vs #13 TMM
I think TMM's been doing pretty well lately and he obviously fielded a highly dominant UUFPL team that also served as the obligatory team tour drama hub so that was pretty cool. I think this is probably the closest of every series here. prodigezz hasn't really made much of a name for himself at all in uu, but he's been somewhat of a circuit shredder for a while now, doing very well in lc especially I believe? tho I'm not fact checking so apologies if I'm wrong. I liked what I saw in the few games of his I've watched, so I'll tentatively go with that because I'm not entirely sure where TMM's at playing-wise, but this could absolutely go either way.

#5 Adaam vs #12 rinnegan418
juan put this better than I could've. if you've ever read any of my predictions before then you probably know that I've never bolded against Adaam in my life and until he starts losing a bunch I don't think I'll be changing that. he's just always seemingly a step ahead with the meta at large and is obviously one of the strongest players the tier has to offer on top of that and has historically been one of the people to beat. rinn has always seemed good to me when he's trying his hardest and remaining level headed but he does seem to be quite tilt prone; i'm not sure if that's just the ladder getting to him which obv happens to the best of us or if it's just a thing that happens. if he can keep his cool then he can definitely make this series close and match etch it out but for now i'm gonna give it to jar jar binks.

#6 Lilburr vs #11 Maki
saturday @ 10pm +1

#7 JustFranco vs #10 Shiba
god this feels wrong but franco is a threat. shiba is the better player here and is infinitely more proven but something in my gut says franco will bring some crack that just throws shiba so far off the rails that he'll wanna retire again. if I were a little more sane and/or lucid then I'd absolutely give this one to shiba but I just can't for some reason. however if shiba opts to bring togekiss he will win and he brought togekiss during the laddering phase so this might be a rough start for the panda man

#8 TheFlawlessWin vs #9 juan123juan
words cannot describe how immensely powerful and dangerous this matchup actually is. like, seriously, these two are something else and I don't even know where to begin. tfw always smashes me on ladder whenever we play and juan didn't ladder cycle 1 so I have no idea how he's doing in UU but he obv qualified and mons is mons after all. i will go with tfw just because i've actually seen him player but i would not be at all surprised to see this go the other way; please just play on smogtours and let us watch because holy shit this is going to be a banger

just realised i only bolded the people on the left. promise that wasn't intended. gl to all

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
#1 pokemonisfun vs #16 KM 80-20

wednesday at 5 pm PST! if i were a betting person i would bet against me but it's gonna be hype. really though, pif and i have been playing against each other for like... at least 5-6 years at this point. what that means is that he'll know every move i'll make and every set I'll have, and I'll forget the type chart. the last time I beat pif was when I studied the team he was laddering with and took a literal hour to craft the perfect set to counterteam it. and i barely won. unfortunately i can not do that in this competition so i will likely lose.

#2 Kink vs #15 QWILY 45 - 55

love both players and would not be surprised by the opposite outcome, but as someone who's also gone toe to toe with kink for a long time, I know that he has the potential to be thrown off by non-standard sets. while qwily probably won't bring bulldoze raikou to 6-0 (sorry again kink, that hurt me too), I think there's a lot of potential for some surprising moments. also qwily is really good lol.

#3 Accel vs #14 dunoks 75 - 25
dunoks is a ladder legend but accel is so consistent and experienced that I think it'll be a hard mountain to climb. despite laddering for several weeks of the tour I think accel lost about a one and a half times total.

#4 ProDigeZz vs #13 TMM 50-50
truthfully no idea literally anything could happen here they're both solid

#5 Adaam vs #12 rinnegan418 72-28
ultimately comes down to an experience thing. if this were a bo1 I think rinn would have pretty fair chances to win, but adaam's consistency and solid overall play is going to be hard to beat in a bo3. wouldn't be surprised if it happens because rinn is obviously pretty great too but my money's on adaam.

#6 Lilburr vs #11 Maki 74 - 26
maki is not the tier leader! sorry :)

but actually, lily is insane. she got to like 1750 in the first 12 minutes of week 1 and kept laddering just for fun. lily is like me if i were good at the game -- she's a heat creationist in the builder and vouches for less respected sets and mons but her shit is actually good. maki has an outside chance only because sometimes lily does this thing where she's like yeah i hard lose to this but they're not gonna bring that and they inevitably do in fact bring that. also maki is really good at pokemon so that helps too.

#7 JustFranco vs #10 Shiba 51-49
bolding franco out of principle and because he will physically beat me up if i don't but imo this really is a 50/50. on shiba's side, you're dealing with a super experienced and solid player who's getting back into the tier and is going to show up with three probably excellent and technically sound teams (hopefully not just togekiss + ditto no defog balance three times). on franco's side, you're dealing with a demonic anti-meta builder who also is in fact good at playing pokemon. building against franco is a nightmare (i speak from personal experience) because sometimes you end up with a team structured around a banded Dark-type and he shows up with a team with four (yes, four) dark resists (for those wondering how he fit 4 dark resists on a uu team, they were diancie, buzzwole, umbreon, and pangoro). every single match in this series is going to be a shitshow and I can not wait.

#8 TheFlawlessWin vs #9 juan123juan 66-34
TFW is another incredible builder that also has a super solid knack for finding things that specifically work against metagame trends and force you to reinvent your own playstyle while you're facing him. he's not afraid to make bold predictions and he always makes super intelligent choices in game. the only thing working against him is -- at least on ladder -- he's sometimes pretty swingy. he'll lose 10 in a row only to gain it all back in an hour -- that might just be the process and have no bearing on tournament play, but either way I'm super excited to see these games go down.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
#1 pokemonisfun vs #16 KM 80-20

wednesday at 5 pm PST! if i were a betting person i would bet against me but it's gonna be hype. really though, pif and i have been playing against each other for like... at least 5-6 years at this point. what that means is that he'll know every move i'll make and every set I'll have, and I'll forget the type chart. the last time I beat pif was when I studied the team he was laddering with and took a literal hour to craft the perfect set to counterteam it. and i barely won. unfortunately i can not do that in this competition so i will likely lose.

#1 pokemonisfun vs #16 KM 20-80

wednesday at 5 pm PST! if i were a betting person i would bet against me but it's gonna be hype. really though, km and i have been playing against each other for like... at least 5-6 years at this point. what that means is that he'll know every move i'll make and every set I'll have, and I'll forget the type chart. the last time I beat pif was when I studied the team he was laddering with and took a literal hour to craft the perfect set to counterteam it. stalled and i barely won. unfortunately i can not do that in this competition km knows i stall so i will likely lose.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)