Project SS UU Research Week - UU RESEARCH - Week 42 Roost Hydreigon and Any sets Crobat - New System !

Week 29 ! Congratulations to Aariz for winning the week28 !

As always, don't forget to look at the date for the SSRW26 tournament at the end of this post ! Now, the summary of the pokemons tested this week :

Keldeo Cm was much appreciated. This set allows to pass many defensive cores like Slowking + Amoonguss. Thanks to Calm Mind, Keldeo becomes a break and a sweeper very easily. However, the UU has a lot of offensive checks in Keldeo, like Primarina, Tapu Bulu ... which can stop him, but can get burned by scald, which can reduce their ability to come on Keldeo later. Keldeo's bulk allows him to come back on the field many times, even after taking a shot. It is also very easy to put this pokemon in most teams, HO as well as Balance.

Salamence DD was less successful. This apparently very powerful set thanks to Moxie, allowing him to sweep very easily, is only useful in HO, where it is completely blocked by Skarmory and Celesteela. This pokemon suffers from a double type that is quite average to place, many pokemons having a way to do a lot of damage to it and rk. Some attempts of Salamence DD in balances have been tested, having failed for the most part because of the difficulty that Salamence has in placing itself.

The Mon :

Nihilego @ any
Ability: Beast Boost
- Meteor Beam / Stealth Rock
-
-
-

Primarina @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Any
- Flip Turn
-
-
-

Nihilego is an underestimated pokemon. His sweeper set is very strong thanks to Meteor Beam and his numerous attacks allow him to hit most of the UU pokemons. But Nihilego is also a pokemon with a lot of bulk (except on the physics) and able to keep the rocks against most of the deffoggers of the third.
The choice of the sets is free, but I would like to see both sets being used (Meteor Beam and Sr).

Primarina is our second choice. The Cm and Specs sets are well known to be very powerful, but we'll see if the Boots+ flip turn set is too. The goal of this set is to turn Primarina into an offensive pivot capable of threatening many pokemons in the third and bring back pokemons that can abuse Primarina's counters.

New :

We've made Research Week easier than ever to participate now! All you need to do is copy the optional template below when you make your research findings post. Just copy, plug in your findings, and you're done! WOW so easy! (You are not obligated to use this template, you can still post in your own way however you feel).

INTRO: (write a little blurb here, w/e you want)

ZAPDOS-GALAR

:Zapdos-Galar:

SETS USED:

Zapdos-Galar @ z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: x
x Nature
-
-
-
-

(Any other sets used, list those too)

SUMMARY: (include good cores, good matchups, bad matchups, etc.)

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
(link) - (add commentary, such as: "See here how Zapdos shows it is the bravest bird")
(link) - (add commentary, e.g. "Here Zapdos fails to be anything more than fried chicken")
(more replays - put as many as are relevant!)

CONCLUSION: (final thoughts)

OVERALL RATING: (w/e you want, D through S is standard but you can use whatever scale you prefer)
-
:ss/Nidoqueen:

SETS USED:

Nidoqueen @ z
Ability: x
x Nature
-
-
-
-

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
(link) - (add commentary, such as: "See here how Nidoqueen ascends to the throne")
(link) - (add commentary, e.g. "Here Nidoqueen has truly abdicated the crown")

OVERALL RATING: (w/e you want, D through S is standard but you can use whatever scale you prefer)

In order to participate you must do the following:

Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as SSRW29 Draconic or SSRW29 Cake) and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder with their RW alt at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in this thread's Hall of Fame.
This week will end on February 20 at 11:59 PM GMT+0. Have fun everyone!!

Tournament :

What would happen in a world where memes were brought to life and became a part of your reality? Find out during the Research Week Tournament Wednesday at 3:00 PM GMT-5 when this meme is brought to life, and all seven of those Pokemon (Terrakion, Victini, Zeraora, Scizor, Azumarill, Kommo-o, Moltres-g) are banned! Simply be in the UU PS room at that time to participate!

BolTingBlazie, your craziest dream finally becomes a reality ! Show us dat way !:v4:

Signing up as SSRW29 Test Test. Maybe my luck won't be as atrocious if I actually space out the time I play even if Thursday is likely the soonest I start.

I will mostly likely use only Primarina since I normally wouldn't touch that abomination otherwise, especially with Flip Turn--that execrable move.

RESEARCH WEEK 29 TOURNAMENT - MEMES ARE REAL!

Congratulations to ThAtS qUiTe UnFoR on winning the Week 29 Research Tournament! Special shout out to avarice on placing second!

Here is the finals replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1279965256

So how was the state of Gen 8 UU with this meme becoming a reality? Well, it was something like this:

1612991123433.png

It wasn't too terribly stally, certainly was not super hyper offensive. But also was not very noteworthy. Will we get to that point someday? Maybe! Maybe not!

Thank you to everyone who participated!

And be sure to sign up for Research Week 29 below! We are looking at Nihilego and Primarina! Don't be left behind - sign up today!

Flip Turn + Heavy-Duty Boots Primarina
:ss/Primarina:

Set Used:
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flip Turn
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Moonblast

Team Used (click for sets): :Primarina: :Thundurus-Therian: :Lycanroc-Dusk: :Kyurem: :Rotom-Wash: :Scizor:

Summary: Flip Turn Primarina proved to be a decent set in my opinion. I found it to be most useful when threatening Moonblast damage on things, while having the surprise option to pivot with Flip Turn. In games where it was able to do this, it was a valuable member of the team. However, in other games, it ended up just getting sacrificed to bring a team member in safely, since it's still pretty slow, and despite its great coverage, does not hit all that hard when not doing super effective damage. I found it disappointing that I could not use Scald as often as I would have liked on this set due to the lack of bulk investment meaning that Primarina got KO'd relatively quickly despite its good defensive typing - its Defense and HP leave something to be desired when uninvested. This was a necessary sacrifice to make to ensure that Primarina could threaten things with its coverage and didn't end up just fizzling against anything bulky, however. As far as matchups go, this Primarina can threaten KOs vs. slower things weak to its coverage like Crawdaunt and Conkedurr, as well as faster offensive threats that cannot OHKO it, such as Salamence, Keldeo, and Krookodile. This Primarina fizzles against Pokemon that don't mind its coverage such as Chansey and Tentacruel, and faster Pokemon that can threaten OHKOs on it, such as Zeraora and Nidoqueen.

Team Summary: When building this team, I wanted to build around the concept of Flip Turn Primarina bringing in a scary attacker, and I decided on Kyurem for this role. Thundurus-Therian helps to punch through Steels that Kyurem cannot immediately break and provides some limited backbone against Zeraora while still being a strong offensive presence. Originally, the next two members were Terrakion and Rotom-Heat, but I ended up replacing them with Lycanroc-Dusk and Rotom-Wash, respectively. I valued Lycanroc-Dusk's speed tier in getting the jump on Terrakion and Keldeo, as well as providing priority for the team, as I found that the team folded to Trick Room almost automatically in its initial form. I was also initially using Terrakion as my rocker, and found that Terrakion got revenge KO'd too quickly or didn't get an opportunity to set rocks up to be the ideal member in this slot. Rotom-Wash was subbed in for Rotom-Heat because I didn't need the added insurance against Scizor, and having the Water resistance and Water STAB ended up being much more useful (especially since Rotom-Wash does not suffer the SpA drop Rotom-Heat does after using its secondary STAB). Scizor helped with speed control for the team and provided a sweeping threat with Swords Dance. I ended up settling on a somewhat unconventional set for Lycanroc-Dusk as my final edit for the team, opting to make it the rocker for the team, while still maintaining offensive presence with Swords Dance + Accelerock priority + Close Combat.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1280870539-196cnas6mbx0137u0kly97lo4jn9z7bpw
Flip Turn Primarina was good against almost all of this team. Flip Turn let it bring in Rotom-Heat to keep up momentum. Scald was also able to get a very useful burn against Tapu Bulu, and Haxorus was taken out from 81% with Moonblast. Opponent ended up forfeiting.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1281138150-fetehql9ikkujv96k5mr2sf9qjjwukupw
Primarina maintained decent offensive presence with Moonblast, and Flip Turn allowed me to get Terrakion in safely to deal major damage.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1281145541-vbinyoi6u6y8unhppgnp3j4ir2srjs3pw
This game showcased Primarina's ability to pivot and use of its defensive typing, despite me losing. Also illustrates why Heavy-Duty Boots are invaluable on this set.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1281426123-xzz7bz6ee7zqe9f7kkr7c7fmqjqxdimpw
Primarina unfortunately didn't do much this game despite having an OK matchup vs. this team. It ended up just getting sacrificed. Kyurem showed itself being incredible though!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1281974045-wog2cbwij171gzpt9kx94801zyefazjpw
Primarina helped pivot around and still threatened good damage with Moonblast. I think this game makes a good case for keeping the Speed and SpA investment. Kyurem broken.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1282993327-azjnzdztqna7k3dvaypo3fj8hiksw50pw
More pivoting and Moonblast use, this time with the final revision of the team. Kyurem wins again. Which Research Week was this again? :bloblul:

Conclusion:
I think this set is worth using. I don't know if I would say it's better than the two standard sets in Calm Mind + Substitute or Choice Specs, or even better as a pivot option than other pivots in the tier (which UU has plenty of), but unlike in some other Research Weeks, I didn't often feel that I was gimping the team by trying to make this set work, or that I would be better off using a different set/Pokemon. I would recommend using Flip Turn to bring in Kyurem a scary offensive threat against Pokemon that would normally wall and/or threaten Primarina, particularly Grass types like Amoonguss and Tapu Bulu, and other Water-types like Suicune and Tentacruel.

Overall Rating:
B+

INTRO: I was going to try to make a Primarina test team with Kyurem, but it would seem that Celebiii already did that, so I'll just post my results now instead of trying to get some late tests in after oversleeping all day and being too busy & tired yesterday to play. Also, I intended up incidentally testing (Stealth Rock) Nihilego anyway just due to how many teams I ended up making this time. Yay?

SET(S) USED:
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Psychic | Toxic
- Flip Turn

While Ice Beam of course makes as a valid option instead of Psychic or Toxic, I never used it given the "only" things it hit harder than Psychic are Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu, which don't like Scald burns or Moonblast as it is. Given my fixation on testing out Spikes while trying to build Primarina, I wanted Psychic mostly just to screw over Tentacruel while Toxic was something I tried out to deal with Slowking's obnoxious self. I honestly probably gave Magic Coat, which I also never used, more actual consideration than Ice Beam. Hell, I probably gave Liquid Voice more consideration even though Liquid Voice still sucks and literally every Sub mon outside of like Chandelure doesn't have its match-up changed due to Liquid Voice.

SUMMARY: I expected Flip Turn Primarina to push me out of my comfort zone and be somewhat underwhelming, and lo and behold, it lived down to my expectations even taking into account my dislike of Primarina itself, Flip Turn, and, at this point, Heavy-Duty Boots also. Granted, it was still better than I thought it would be despite not expecting it to be outright horrible, but I think that's just by virtue of it being Primarina and having stupidly good typing.

It was tempting to just throw the most offensive mons onto a team with Primarina due to how stupid easy it is to pivot this gen between five whole moves that do so now, but I figured that seemed the most obvious choice. Instead, my initial focus beyond just trying to figure out how else to use Flip Turn Primarina on a team was whether it would be better to try it out on a team with at least one set-up mon or a team focused around Spikes. I ended up using a bunch of teams this time and ultimately focusing around neither:

Team #1 / / / / /
Team #2 / / / / /
Team #3 / / / / /
Team #4 / / / / /

It is something of the height of irony that the end team I just kind of threw together was the one that I ended up using the most and that performed overall most decently despite a losing streak towards the end. This especially when overthought things like always two other teams that aren't even featured and was doing the same for the Kyurem team I was struggling to make before I saw that Celebiii already tested on extensively. It even more ironic given the only real reason I initially considered Diggersby is due to its access to Spikes, which I didn't end up ever using on it at all (since Spikes really aren't worth it this gen unfortunately). Yet Diggersby just ended up being the best example of Flip Turn's Primarina obvious real worth: being used to get even harder hitting mons in "safely" on the switch. (I can hear the "duh" echo throughout the hills and valleys.)

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
The third of the above teams didn't have any interesting replays, so it has been omitted completely. I also finally realized it's best to put the link first and then blather. Yay! I'm capable of learning basics things eventually!

01. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1284103700-weu7bi8o2uvc8b06eun403m9vhyzvbwpw - I might have actually had trouble here if this was Flame Orb Conkledurr instead of presumably Assault Vest:

02. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1284112967 - Flip Turn finally comes in really handy.

03. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1284114833 - Flip Turn also proves handy--finny? flippery?--against Trick Room as well.

04. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1284116913-u2ojq0894un68k4dvuy3fymrmye3jtmpw - It wasn't until this (re)match that I finally noticed that using the Teambuilder EVs on Slowking gave me 252+ SpA, not 252+ SpD. Whoops. Also, I only switched out Chandelure there because apparently I ran into the only Venusaur in the world right now using Earth Power alongside Growth given Earth Power is what OHKO'd Chandelure (right as I thought "I just have to hope he doesn't have Earth Power, but who runs tha--") and lost me the first game to CM Hatterne.

05. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1285301196 - Primarina remains a decent check for Keldeo even with basically no defensive EVs.

06. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1285305499-e8jajfsk1wmxqla4hs6rqmtj05hqlb6pw - Sleep Powder decides to be generous to me for once, perhaps because I managed to miss Bolt Strike on Victini again. I'm somehow 3 for 5 at best for that damn move this gen already despite barely touching Victini.

07. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1285314997 - I manage to beat an Aurora Veil team almost solely because their Kommo-o doesn't have Poison Jab. This match also just reaffirms how underwhelming Spikes are this gen. Thanks, Monkey-Paw Boots.

08. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1285317775-9t32vu26irtgnuq9vi4q3bovb9v4mw3pw - I somehow manage to win another match despite playing it too safe with Tangrowth because my opponent gets greedy with Knock Off.

[Footage of getting ravaged by another person using Earth Power Growth Venusaur on Sun not found. I once again can't tell if this is my horrible luck, an actual trend starting, or both.]

09. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1285323024 - Thundurus-Therian finally proves its worth as an okay-ish check to Zeraora, Knock Off stupidity aside.

[Footage of winning against an odd team where Diggersby dies without doing anything to Life Orb Sudowoodo with Sucker Punch after losing 50%+ health from Head Smash not found.]

10. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1285327760 - I manage to beat Sun for once, but only really due to a Psychic crit. Bolt Strike continues to hate me, making me at least 3 for 7 now. Yay. Hate you too Victini. Hate you too.

11. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1285336840 - Ugh. Terrakion is such a pain and Sash Alakazam is little better, especially when Psychic Surge invalidates Quick Attack anyway. I still probably shouldn't have thrown Diggersby that easily, but I was already screwed just from the match-up really.

12. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1285349428 - A series of misplays that culminates in misplaying with Primarina rather seriously, which is a bit of a point against Flip Turn making you (read: me) overthink things.

13. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1285368468 - After a series of terrible losses, I manage to finally beat an Alakazam team...due to the opponent's own Trick when I was just trying sacrifice Victini. Figures that Diggersby's Quick Attack actually mattered in that match since they didn't end up being Sash, but it at least got to run amok with CB Earthquake and at least Primarina got to do something meaningful for once.

CONCLUSION: As I suspected from the beginning, Flip Turn Primarina is still decent despite the fact that I think it's rather easily any of the three other sets--CM, Specs, and even Rest Talk--it can run. Unsurprisingly, it's better off on more offense-oriented teams due to the nature of pivoting moves and being a Fairy mon that doesn't offer any non-offensive support beyond the momentum-based on this brings (and nigh universal access to Toxic). You basically have to use Flip Turn rather aggressively though instead of just getting point and click and probably destroy some non-Chansey thing, especially with Empoleon still gone and basically no one using Volcanion once again.

OVERALL RATING: B- at worst. Maybe closer to B. It's difficult to tell since I don't pay attention to VR, but Water/Fairy alone is such a good typing even without Primarina's stats that I can't see it being lower than that despite personally not being thrilled about using it.

/////
(Take this far briefer opinion with even more of a grain of salt than the above section.)

SET USED:
Nihilego @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock

SUMMARY: I basically just the teambuilder set that suggests Life Orb and just replaced Black Sludge when throwing the last above Primarina test team I actually used. I didn't intend on using Nihilego at all while testing, especially since I hadn't used it in months due to having no real interesting the very good Meteor Beam said. I think I just put it on that final team because I figured I had used Nidoqueen enough and I didn't want another Ground type when I still had Diggersby. So I decided to give a try, and it was unsurprisingly more than decent.

NOTABLE REPLAYS: See above.

CONCLUSION: As said above, it is unsurprisingly rather decent even though I used Stealth Rock Nihilego way more last gen despite Scizor being so much more abundant. If anything, then it's probably better this gen due to that even if Scizor is unfortunately starting to pick back up. I think it's definitely better than my replays made it seem, though I think the Meteor Beam is probably better.

OVERALL RATING: B? B+? I wouldn't be surprised if the Meteor Beam set was B+ or higher, but I can't speak to that from personage usage despite running into a lot of it when testing.

I fell asleep before writing my post fuck

:ss/nihilego:

Nihilego @ Power Herb
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Wave

:ss/nihilego: :ss/zarude-dada: :ss/zeraora: :ss/starmie: :ss/chandelure: :ss/kommo-o:
(click for paste)​
Scarf Monke for speed control + dark resist + pivoting + ground resist, Zeraora for knock support + electric immunity + more speed control without running double scarf with Krook, Starmie to have something that actually hits hard (was Slowking at first but I really didn't like that team, it was a gigantic momentum sink even with TP), Chandelure to help deal with fat, prevent spin and abuse the steel-type mons that switch into Nihilego and Zarude, Kommo-o for rocks and to not lose to like half the tier since this team had 0 bulk at that point. Should've probably used Jirachi instead tbh.

SUMMARY: This set was weird. I don't think it's straight up bad, but it has issues with both Nihilego and the set itself, and these can be pretty annoying to deal with.
  • The set lacks a ton of power if you don't get the Meteor Beam boost, because you don't have max SpA investment + no boosting item + the moves don't have an amazing BP + not many mons are hit super effectively by these moves.
  • You're walled by Steel-type pokemon, and almost every team has one (or several) of them. The only one you can beat is Celesteela, but even for that you need it to switch into Meteor Beam and then get very good rolls on both Meteor Beam and the Thunderbolt follow-up.
  • You only have one chance at using Meteor Beam. If your opponent manages to bait it out (or you miss), Nihilego becomes almost deadweight. Also if Scizor is alive, you have zero chance of sweeping.
On the other hand, Nihilego's natural bulk makes it fairly easy to find opportunities by trading hits to set-up if the opponent doesn't have priority moves, and most priorities won't kill Nihilego from full so it's possible to play around priority users by carefully picking the moment you start your sweep so Nihilego is as healthy as possible.
Nihilego's natural speed also means at +1 it outspeeds the most common scarfer in Krook, and +1 Grass Knot is a OHKO from full. The only scarfers you need to be wary of are Terrakion, Keldeo, and Monke, but they're not too common from my experience so it's not a big issue, and if you can get two speed boosts they can't do anything.

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
Replay 1 - Nihilego gets a setup opportunity on Psychic Zam (Psyshock would've killed) and can clean from that position.
Replay 2 - My opponent's Terrakion gets low enough for Nihilego to kill with +0 Grass Knot, and their Slowking is weakened enough for Meteor Beam to kill (also Slowking loses 1v1 - Meteor Beam into Tbolt or double Tbolt kills if King doesn't have SpDef investment, and even Psyshock can't kill Nihilego from full)
Replay 3 - Zor dies turn 3, Indeedee falls at 9%, Nihilego default dances over my opponent's team. Also a small showcase of Nihilego's bulk that I mentioned, barely living Plasma Fists from Zeraora (or it's a showcase of why Zeraora sucks, your choice)
Replay 4 - rofl

CONCLUSION: The set can be deadly in the right match-up and everything is properly set-up for it, but getting into this kind of position is really tough, making Meteor Beam Nihilego fairly inconsistent IMO. AoA and SR sets don't have the same sweeping potential for obvious reasons, but their immediate power makes them more useful in most matches.

scorbunnys

Don't dream your life, but live your dream. #Bunny
Mystras Leoxses Pokeseba just a friendly reminder to try to get your report up soon! It's technically the last day today but if you can get it in soon that's ok.
So i end up sticking only with Primarina, i was kinda busy those days.
:ss/primarina::ss/sylveon::ss/rotom-heat::ss/kommo-o::ss/amoonguss::ss/bisharp:

:primarina:
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Flip Turn
This set makes Primarina pretty hard to check, this set can pretty much get rid of any check, heck, even Chansey is Flip Turn Fodder, but thats not the end!, its also a pivot with a nice typing that resists mons such as Keldeo or Special Victini.
It has Scald as her main stab with 0 drawbacks, it also has 30% to burn, Moonblast is really a nice stab that has 95 BP, it can get rid of stuff such as Kyurem, Psychic is here for Tentacruel and Amoonguss and Flip Turn is p much the star of the set, it can pivot on practically anything that does not have water absorb and Seismitoad (the best water absorber rn) is really easy to worn down with Moonblast.

Replays: I dont have ;w;

Conclusion: It's a really good pivot with a good dual stab.

Rating: While i didnt have A LOT of time to test and i builded really fast, i can give it an A

Sorry, this research week was so mediocre, i promise that the next one is going to be better or at least a little better.

INTRO: I'll be real, I did not have too much success with either mon, I wanted to try for them both but I was not feeling it. I did not gather enough replays for Nihelego but my thoughts about the Meteor Beam set is that there is way too much priority for it to be a threat consistently.

:ss/primarina:

SETS USED:
Heavy Duty Boots Primarina

EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flip Turn
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Scald

SUMMARY: Enough speed for Adamant Azu but I think I would change it more for Adamant Crawdaunt, everything else is put into HP for the sake of bulk. I was not impressed with the trade out in damage pressure and the defensive utility Primarina's type offers is cut by the other pivots in the tier; Zeraora, Victini, and Rotom-W in particular all mess with it. I was pretty mixed on Bulu since it really hates burns from Rotom-H as well as the other pivots like Jirachi and Scizor.

That's kind of my problem with Prima as a pivot, it just doesn't have the speed over the other pivots. It would be fine since I get the slow momentum, but Victini, Zera, and Jirachi all can mess with Primarina one on one for it to stay in reliably, and even Scizor has chance to get momentum on Prima with U-turn on Scald.

:primarina: :skarmory: :zeraora: :Mamoswine: :tapu bulu: :jirachi:
https://pokepast.es/3a74700013addca3
I messed with a couple of different teams, this is the one I ended up playing with the most. I'd rather use something like Seismitoad over Jirachi as a Stealth Rocker as an actual check to Rotom-W and H which were both problems and replace Mamoswine with something like Choice Specs Kyurem as a breaker. I had mixed feelings on Tapu Bulu, I think I would rather use Amoongus for the improved matchup against Jirachi. I liked Skarmory because the boots on Prima can be more effective in hazard wars, I just have to be more careful on Knock Off.

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1280699978-qtgyzfqrkjbs3c3hezznakxotiwemr0pw
Primarina loses out on a bit too much power to OHKO some targets like Galarian Moltres and open it up for a reverse sweep.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1281446445-6jbgrrri5s3430budb0wtynsn7kddoppw
Primarina gives a free Volt Switch opportunity for Rotom-W especially when Moonblast is not cutting away at its health enough and the speed tier is not top of the litter. Zeraora ended up playing the role of a pivot much more effectively in this game.

CONCLUSION: I do not believe this is as bad as I may have made it look, I just do not think I found the right team composition to work with. Primarina is still a good check to Keldeo, and the immunity to hazards helps in that regard but the speed tier and drop in power makes it just not worth it to make Primarina to be a slappable pivot.

OVERALL RATING: B-

After a little break, we are back !
Week 30 ! Congratulations to Daiyaga for winning the week29 !

The summary of the pokemons tested this week :

Primarina Boots was quite conclusive for most of the testers. Flip turn allows Primarina to keep the momentum against pokemons which wall primarina and the boots allow to come easily on pokemons thanks to its double type very solid and its general bulk very good. In spite of that, the lack of speed on primarina is very handicap for an offensive pivot.

Nihilego is a very good partner in HO thanks to his Meteor Beam set and his moves allowing to sweep very easily. The set with rocks was a bit less good. Even if Nihilego can keep the rocks on the field by beating the classic deffogeurs like Rotom-Heat thanks to his double type and his very solid special bulk, Nihilego rocks doesn't have enough power to break pokemon like slowking other defensive walls, which he could do with the Meteor Beam set.

The Mon :

Azelf
Ability: Levitate
-
-
-
-

This week we are going to make a single pokemon, Azelf.
With his very offensive stats, a speed of 115 and a multitude of offensive moves, Azelf seems to have all the necessary weapons to be a great offensive threat from the third. Yet this poor pokemon is not played at all. So what is Azelf's best set?
This week, you are free to play any set of Azelf (Choice Band, Scarf, Adrenaline Orb ...), make us dream!

New :

We've made Research Week easier than ever to participate now! All you need to do is copy the optional template below when you make your research findings post. Just copy, plug in your findings, and you're done! WOW so easy! (You are not obligated to use this template, you can still post in your own way however you feel).

ZAPDOS-GALAR

SETS USED:

Zapdos-Galar @ z
x Nature
-
-
-
-

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
(link) - (add commentary, such as: "See here how Zapdos shows it is the bravest bird")
(link) - (add commentary, e.g. "Here Zapdos fails to be anything more than fried chicken")

-

SETS USED:

Nidoqueen @ z
x Nature
-
-
-
-

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
(link) - (add commentary, such as: "See here how Nidoqueen ascends to the throne")

Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as SSRW30 Draconic or SSRW30 Cake) and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder with their RW alt at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in this thread's Hall of Fame.
This week will end on March 8 at 11:59 PM GMT+0. Have fun everyone!!

Last edited:
We will be holding our weekly Research Week tomorrow (Tuesday) at 3:00 PM EST, 8 PM GMT, 12:00 PM PST.

:ss/Azelf:

X :Alakazam: :Zeraora: X

The theme for this week will be Azelf supremacy, meaning we are banning Zeraora and Alakazam, making Azelf the fastest mon in the tier (not counting RU and below) for this tour.

No sign up is necessary! Just be in the PS UU room tomorrow at this time to participate! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
RESEARCH WEEK 30 TOURNAMENT - AZELF SUPREMACY

Congratulations to avarice on winning the Research Week 30 tournament with a Scarf Vaporeon!
A special shout out to Adjective_Noun for being the runner up with Azelf on his team.

So how did the tournament go?

Well, in my opinion, SS UU didn't miss a beat seemed like the same old same old. There were screens from Grimmsnarl. Screens from Meowstic. And, most importantly, screens from Gyarados. So I think it's safe to say that the SS UU we all know and love will stay exactly the same in an Azelf meta!

Thank you to everyone who participated!

And be sure to sign up for Research Week 30 below as we test the true capabilities of Azelf!

PERSONAL RESEARCH FINDINGS

This week, I examined primarily three different Azelf possibilities. I will review them one by one.

CHAPTER 1: The Azelf Stall

:Azelf: :Palossand: :Chansey: :Salamence: :Amoonguss: :Pyukumuku:

Azelf

Azelf @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Flamethrower

-

SUMMARY: So I wanted to see if Azelf could be used as an offensive compliment to a stall team, while offering unexpected encore support to stop setup sweepers like Demon Mew. Psychic/Fire coverage is all it really needs to be effective here. Nasty Plot allows it to force out passive mons so it doesn't set up on them. Overall, it was interesting and fun. I caught a replay of a CP Mew getting stopped by encore. But generally, the rest of the stall team ended up doing all of the work most fights.

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1293292532 - Azelf catches Bisharp with encore and flamethrower
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1293456695-js3mgmnrsifxwjnhwedisvj1hd0cdr1pw - Azelf cunks Demon Mew with Encore

CONCLUSION: It's certainly fun, but if I am being impartial, it stops at that. Not recommended as a serious option. But good enough for C+ rank!

OVERALL RATING: C+

-
-
-

CHAPTER 2: The Adrenaline Orb Sweeper

:Azelf: :Grimmsnarl: :Gyarados: :Jirachi: :Moltres-Galar: :Zeraora:

Azelf

Azelf @ Adrenaline Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Fire Blast

SUMMARY: So this set, with NP, just shreds teams. If the Orb activates, then there is almost nothing in UU that can stop it besides Victini. Even if the Orb does NOT activate, Azelf still is faster than most of the metagame. Using it under Grimmsnarl Screens helps it get one NP up for sure. The rest of the team is just other sweepers, Intimidate Gyarados to really help with Victini sets, and Galar Moltres to help offensively check Victini. Zeraora is the best Zeraora check, which probably says something about Zeraora.

Anyways, I had several games where Azelf went off - posted one below. Azelf is really underrated and underappreciated and I think it's versatility and coverage is really downplayed a lot here. It can straight up win games for you, and this set in particular dominates the Krook/Mence Intimidate teams. After just one Nasty Plot, you can almost KO the entire tier. If it were not for Alakazam/Zeraora, then you could run this set with a Life Orb and shred things even more. It is truly a powerhouse.

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1293872503-23ye9omok8r47w1hr071f8bsgbslidxpw - Azelf sweeps the WHOLE FUCKING TEAM
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1294185308-jbbxwltwfd2pfrdi4a86trt28sxk6ycpw - Victini stops the Azelf sweep since it's the only relevant mon that resists Azelf's coverage. But GUESS WHAT GOT BANNED!!
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1294176595 - Adrenaline Orb activates! But it was unnecessary this fight since nothing was faster anyways.

CONCLUSION: Azelf is one of the best offensive mons in the meta, and just because Alakazam is faster and more powerful doesn't mean Azelf is anything short of great. And Azeelf has better coverage anyways.

OVERALL RATING: A

-
-
-

CHAPTER 3: Ultimate HO Role Compression Screen Rocks Lead

:Azelf: :Zeraora: :Mew: :Azumarill: :Moltres-Galar: :Scizor:

Azelf

Azelf @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

SUMMARY: This is THE Azelf set. Nothing else compares to this if you are going for HO leads. What more can you ask for out of an HO lead than the ability to set rocks, set screens, explode, and be faster than the entire metagame bar 2 mons? The rest of your team can then be 5 sweepers of your choice - does not matter which ones.

Using this is very easy. If you see an obvious lead Krookodile, then you don't lead with Azelf and just lead with Azumarill instead. That's the most important teammate here since otherwise a scarf Krook lead just ruins this. Other than that, Azelf can lead on almost anything else, and even survives a Knock Off from Zeraora to either explode in its face or set up emergency reflect to at least get one screen up. Other than Zeraora teams, Azelf can usually get rocks + screens up, or it can choose what is more important based on the enemy team.

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1294199243-i83v1npls2uzfffmjf3ftkuoxg3pioopw - Azelf sets up screens + rocks, then still has enough life to act as a Spore absorber for the rest of the fight.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1294230983 - Azelf's worst nightmare, the lead Taunt Zeraora, forces it to explode.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1294887677 - Azelf gets off rocks + screens on a sun team, though the rocks were spun away
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1294891679 - Lead scarf Krook needs Azu help, then Azelf can get rocks and screens up (in a losing effort from crit)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1294904854 - The legendary Brick Break Rhyperior breaks the screens! But Azelf team still wins.

CONCLUSION: There is nothing else in UU that has the speed and utility required to run this set besides Azelf. The tier is truly blessed to have a presence here unlike any other, and Azelf should be risen in the VR's on the next cycle to make everything in the world ok again.

OVERALL RATING: S+

Pokeseba don't forget to post your findings - today is technically the last day, so get them in as soon as you can.

scorbunnys

Don't dream your life, but live your dream. #Bunny
Hi, sorry for the delay BigFatMantis
Team:

Set:
1615385574280.png

GOAT LORD (Azelf) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Knock Off
- Energy Ball

This thing has been pretty good to my eyes, in this time i choosed AoA Life Orb for it, Fire Blast is what separates it from Alakazam and thats imo, why Azelf AoA is as good, if not better than Alakazam AoA due to its Fire coverage and a way more powerful Knock Off for deal with Galar Bro and chip more stuff, tho it misses Magic Guard, Levitate is appreciated if you can switch into a ground attack tho, it can lure in most grounds with Energy Ball so thats pretty good, Psyshock + Knock Off cripples a lot of stuff really.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1297916397-6z1t452wn22isg0vc66h9p7912twhgkpw (Here i won with a lot of luck, but like, it showcases how Azelf can get rid of Pyukumuku)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1297932284-vre8kpf0tl15tu9sl4auq8flrm2duznpw (While this isn't a replay vs a really serious team, Azelf was able to get rid of some stuff, it got 3 kills and worn downed the Slowbro Galar)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1298428868-958xlnccco7v683lcbtdfx6fi9o3nb1pw (It acts as a late-game sweeper)

Conclusion: This mon is a really good wallbreaker atm, really i don't see what mon can do exactly the same than it, Alakazam has a weaker Knock Off, does not get Levitate nor Fire Blast, making it a really good mon in my eyes.
Overall Rating: My rating to this thing is B/B+, its a pretty good mixed attacker, in some games it isn't that consistent due to it's not too good bulk (tho it takes stuff such as Mach Punch Conkeldurr and it has inmunity to stuff such as Earthquake), i probably could go ahead and put an A- tbh, it's just super good.

GOAT LORD TEAM:

:ss/azelf::ss/alakazam:1615386741632.png:ss/tapu-bulu::ss/krookodile::ss/zeraora: (Click on me!)

Teambuilding Process:
1615385574280.png
1615386553378.png
1615386568307.png

I opted for this psychic trio, Azelf AoA pretty much covers a lot of the psychic weaknesses, Alakazam NP and GBro Calm Mind are pretty much my sweepers, they can sweep pretty easily specially if Azelf worn downed the checks.
1615385574280.png1615386553378.png1615386568307.png
1615387347122.png

Then i decided to put Tapu Bulu, Grassy Seed GBro has been amazing for me and Bulu is another sweeper too.
1615387347122.png
1615387654496.png

In this slot i slapped Krook, is just a lead, nothing special, but is imo a really good lead due to Knock Off, Electric inmunity and Taunt, it has rocks obviously too.
1615387347122.png
1615387654496.png
1615387704746.png

So i finished with Zeraora, BU sets are wonderful, they provide us a good coverage and it has the best speed of the tier (Accelgor and Ninjask...ehhh they aren't viable lol), so i slapped it.

Last edited:
Week 31 ! Congratulations to BigFatMantis for winning the week30 !

The summary of the pokemons tested this week :

Different sets of Azelf were tested and all had one thing in common, Azelf would die fairly quickly or win. Azelf's sweeper sets are very strong and can easily 6-0 poorly prepared teams (Adrenaline Orb for example). This pokemon also pushes many suicide lead sets, like classic sr + taunt + BOOM or screens + sr + BOOM. Azelf can also be a wincond in a stall with its access to many support moves as well. These stats allow him to be played mixed and to make big holes in the opponent's team.

Now, The Mon :

Aegislash @ Any
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: Any
Any Nature
-
-
-
-

As you know, the council has decided to retest Aegislash. This week, we're offering to help the tier and test this pokemon in order to explain why Aegislash should or should not return to the tier. These many viable and overpowered sets in a tier with little response to specter types. Is its low speed a real problem? What is Aegislash's best set?

New :

ZAPDOS-GALAR

SETS USED:

Zapdos-Galar @ z
x Nature
-
-
-
-

NOTABLE REPLAYS:

-

SETS USED:

Nidoqueen @ z
x Nature
-
-
-
-

NOTABLE REPLAYS:

Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as SSRW31 Draconic or SSRW31 Cake) and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
This week will end on March 21 at 11:59 PM GMT+0. Have fun everyone!!

Don't feel like laddering anymore, so here's my post.

:aegislash:
Beautiful Star (Aegislash) @ Spell Tag
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Rash Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Solar Blade / King's Shield
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak

I tried mixed Spell Tag Aegislash this week. I guess you could call this something of a lure set. The EVs outspeed Bisharp by one point with the rest in offenses. Solar Blade unfortunately didn't see any use because I saw Mantis' post too late and while Torkoal has a great design, it's not a good mon, and I used my Sun turns for my dedicated Sun sweepers. :c In theory, however, it makes a fantastic tool to get around some of its checks:

40 Atk Aegislash-Blade Solar Blade vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 297-351 (68.4 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
40 Atk Aegislash-Blade Solar Blade vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 208-246 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
40 Atk Aegislash-Blade Solar Blade vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Quagsire: ded

Is this practical? ...maybe? The team I used got me higher on the ladder than I've been in a long time, even during a suspect test. (That's largely Venusaur being very good though.)

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1302133937-6hv3jwp1199y0vlk0r0sof1uloauuvdpw -- Aegi smashes Bisharp on the switch and picks off weakened mons with Sneak
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1302306479-lpjoif1j8ga2lbmd4hrykgc3m1iep0opw -- Aegi walls whatever that Jirachi was doing
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1302122847-fl0tny6zvnrykbf2ylj0lpebcihndo4pw -- Aegi gets more kills okay this replay isn't good but you get the idea, Shadow Sneak is good on mixed sets

In conclusion, Aegislash is fine in UU.

Overall rating: A-/B+. Very match-up dependent. Can be very threatening if checks or the overall team are weakened.

The team, now with nicknames! A cookie if you get where they're from :3
Sunbaked Savanna (Torkoal) (M) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 200 HP / 68 Def / 232 SpA / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Yawn
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power

Angel's Rain (Hatterene) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock
- Mystical Fire

Everlasting Love (Venusaur) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Beautiful Star (Aegislash) @ Spell Tag
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Rash Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Solar Blade
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak

Houston (Rhyperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 116 HP / 140 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Disco Prince (Darmanitan) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)