Standards for Grammar / Spelling, What a Good Writer Looks out for

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
Damnit guys, ThunderPunch is how it's spelled in DP. In other games, it isn't written Thunderpunch, it's written THUNDERPUNCH. There isn't any controversy over it.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Now look what happened. I shouldn't have brought up the question in the first place.

To avoid confusion:
  • Any move or ability that is a single, 12-letter word consisting of two words appended with each other (Compoundeyes, Thunderpunch, Dynamicpunch, etc.) are written like so in DP: CompoundEyes, ThunderPunch, DynamicPunch, etc.
  • Other abilities or attacks that consist of two words but that fit the 12-letter restriction (Sunny Day, Zen Headbutt, Mold Breaker, etc.) are written with a space in between and with both words having an initial capital letter.
  • All attacks having a dash (Wake-Up Slap, X-Scissor, etc.) are written with the word after the dash also capitalised. U-turn is the only exception to this rule.
  • There are further exceptions to the first two rules. The following are the correct way of writing the particular attack:
    • DoubleSlap, SolarBeam, Selfdestruct, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Tailwind, Softboiled, SmokeScreen, BubbleBeam
    • This list is not exhaustive; I'm still searching for more exceptions.

I stickied this now, it seems very useful to refer back to.

Also, I think tiers should go completely uncapitalized when not abbreviated (uber, overused, borderline, underused, never used (or neverused?)).

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In lists with more than two things, it should be written in the format

I went to the store with Bob, Jane, and Mike.

We use the comma before "and" on Smogon.

Posted this sorta before itt but whatever: Terms that "we" invented, how are we going to spell and capitalize them? Proposing:

uber
overused
borderline
underused
neverused / never used (not sure on this one)

counter

Also, if a move is used on a Pokemon, describing the condition of that Pokemon would be capitalized as well, in my opinion.

Gyarados gets Thunderbolted.
You have no fear of a Disabled or Tormented Choice Bander.

I think the tiers should go:

Uber
Overused
Borderline
Underused
Never-used

counter is lowercase.

Seconding the condition part.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Actually, the 'eyes' in Compoundeyes isn't capitalized ingame, oddly enough. Neither is the 'rod' in Lightningrod. The 'Edge' in Double-Edge is capitalized, however.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I understand this, but I have one question.

If we refer to one of our "set names" somewhere in our analysis, do they keep capitalization as well?

Eg. Would it be "Physical Attacker", or "physical attacker" if we mention it somewhere else in our analysis?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm making a series of edits to various Move, Ability, and Item entries in the Pokédex to add info about Double Battles. Which is preferable, 'Double Battle', 'double battle', or 'Double battle'? I have a moderate preference for the first option, but I think that's because I only ever see it as a menu option in-game and it's always capitalized there.

Is it supposed to be "a OHKO" or "an OHKO"
If pronounced O-H-K-O it should be "an" but if it's read One hit KO it should be "a"

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I always pronounced it "One-Hit KO", which is why I've used "a" over "an". Just some interesting numbers, Google returns 5.7K for "a OHKO" vs. 1.9K for "an OHKO". Brawl and Pokemon appear to make up nearly all of the results. =p

However, I didn't come to this thread to discuss that. I came here to discuss an issue that is almost identical.

We use 2HKO, 3HKO, etc. to describe other KO numbers. Why then is it OHKO instead of 1HKO? I kind of like 1HKO.

OHKO is more "aesthetically pleasing" despite not being consistent, since "Oh" is a vowel sound, and segues better into "aitch" than "One" since you can use the "w" sound inbetween both. "Two" and "Three" also end with vowel sounds which let you use the "y" sound in between so 2hko and 3hko work well.

/useless post xD

Are pokemon referred to as objects or 'people'? In other words, would it be, "Garchomp, who often carries Outrage," or, "Garchomp, which often carries Outrage"?

If that is up for debate I would vote "who" since it sounds better and is more intuitive. Even though the correct form would actually be "whom" :p

I agree that 'who' sounds better. I just want for it to be consistent everywhere:

Garchomp Analysis said:
This puts Garchomp at risk against Weavile, which often carry Ice Shard, meaning that Garchomp's boosted Speed may sometimes go to waste, and Mamoswine, who almost always carries Ice Shard and either forces Garchomp to switch out or die.
Whoever added that last set didn't do a very good job with writing the summary, as it's not even consistent within the same sentence! I'll change it to 'who' for now, and if something new comes up, I'll edit it again.

obi

formerly david stone
The plural of a Pokemon is identical to the singular of that Pokemon. One Blissey, two Blissey. Never two Blisseys.

With advent of pt, we have plenty of different formes of pokemon.

What should be the uniform standard notation on smogon - formes or forms?

Okay, I will try to keep the bitter hatred of this stupid word out of my post okay this is really just a platform for me to vent about how much I hate formes [sic].

In all cases I can think of off the top of my head we've followed Nintendo's spellings, etc., and I guess to be consistent we'd follow here, but not only would that be really difficult to get people to keep doing but it's just plain incorrect. It looks absolutely awful and unprofessional, and it's a completely arbitrary 'e' in the first place. If we were using formes, iirc we'd have to capitalise the F too, which would just be even worse: 'alternate Formes of Rotom' oh my God this is not the middle ages. Nintendo weren't always doing it, anyway, although that';s not a brilliant argument as then we could probably still say Hypnosis has 70% acc. Formes seems more of a specific noun to me, too, so we could simply avoid it and just treat forms like a separate name, as if it was the word 'varieties' or something, as opposed to using the official word 'formes'.

Also relevant to 'Small Nitpicky Things That Don't Matter But I Would Like to Know for Once and for All', Underused, UnderUsed, or underused? Mekkah and GS gave contrasting answers iirc. Personally I just prefer Underused when referring to the tier [or UU], and 'underused' when referring to the Pokémon's usage/the 'underused environment'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)