Starcraft 2

@VKCA: if your goal is to improve in terms of league promotion/ranking, I would recommend hopping off the random train at the next stop or soft area. you have to learn at least three times as many builds, and the muscle memory for macroing each race are totally different. P you've got warpgates while T has to use hotkeys for its production buildings. Z is out from left field with larva injections - if you don't practice those non stop you'll be floating money like a pimp and die to any push due to a lack of units. I have been playing terran recently for fun, and while my T probably improved a league or two since I started, my P is now shakier.

people will say that playing random gives you perspective on the other race, but this only true to an extent. it will give you a perspective on why Z always say larva injects are hard or 2 rax is a bitch and a half, why T used to bitch about colossus, or why P really really hate ghosts. unless you can get your offraces to diamond/master++ level you won't have a damn clue about timings, which is the only "perspective" knowledge that actually matters.

@Master Win: the best way to deal with siege tanks is always to be a bitch and run around them. the worst way to engage a siege tank line is to engage it in the first place. run zerglings into his mineral lines to force his army back, or use good muta control to pick off tanks that are not being guarded by marines (click the ground quickly in the middle of your muta cloud to "stack" them together, so you can hit the tank with all of the shots at once then run away). you shouldn't ever engage a tank line unless it is doing something really douchey like shelling a hatchery or mineral line. ZvT is all about patience. if you watch good Z they will let their buildings take a few hits while making more zerglings, or morphing some more banelings, then finally roll out to crush the army.

when you finally have to engage the tank line, I'm not sure exactly how to micro your units since I'm not a Z, but I think you should move command your zerglings first so that they get a surround on the terran units, then attack move them once they are all next to the terran units. move command banelings and split them so that they follow groups of marines. the zerglings tank for banelings, you don't want the tank AI to automatically target your banelings - make the T do that himself (if he is good enough). dunno when mutas come in, but make sure you magic box them if there are thors.

roaches are OK but they are really supply inefficient, i.e. a 200/200 army of ling/bling/infestor/brood lord will be way more powerful than a 200/200 army of roaches. they're a nice midgame unit but you don't want to get stuck on roaches into the late game. speaking of which, brood lords destroy tanks because they cause tons of friendly fire splash damage.

and hydras suck. although I will admit there are some timings you can use when they are strong, but they have to be really crisp...

Whistle: Really? I find hydralisks to be really great units when they are massed up. Gateway units hate hydras and get ripped to shreds by them. So I find hydras to be good mid game units. Normally try to finish the game mid game so they can't tech up to colossi and siege tanks with siege mode.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
pvp and pvz are kind of awesome now. pvp doesn't feel like dumb fourgate battles, and zvp is much more interesting to defend. I'm really loving the fact that I'm two basing with lot's of units to stop immortals. So much more fun than just trying to tech quicker than him.

I have won quite a few PvP's lately, and basically the old problem that whoever expanded first lost is pretty much gone. Robo first builds counter blink pretty well, as you can easily get 3 or so immortals before they attack. And you can't really do gosu blink-micro when you get killed in one shot. I think because of the blink nerf that stargate builds might become more popular to counter immortals. Zealot+voidray actually works really well against stalkers, and lategame motherships with observer sniping could become more common.

while we can't exactly do a tournament, something that would be fun would be to do the day9 funday monday (monobattles) !!

When I use zerg I find that using a nydus drop in their base works wonders on my opponent. Just get a changeling to scout out the base to see where their army is, and bam! Send in a nydus worm and a bunch of lings and hydras and you get the GG in big letters.

VKCA

anybody know of any way to play unranked?
I keep on playing stoned and losing a bunch because I'm at the top of silver and facing a shit tonne of upper gold/plat I can't deal with early pressure stoned. I've gone from one to five and back again several times in a row now... Just like to get promoted so I can get used to people.

anybody know of any way to play unranked?
I keep on playing stoned and losing a bunch because I'm at the top of silver and facing a shit tonne of upper gold/plat I can't deal with early pressure stoned. I've gone from one to five and back again several times in a row now... Just like to get promoted so I can get used to people.
play FFA

i feel you about the top silver, it's really piss for me to try and advance...

VKCA

play FFA

i feel you about the top silver, it's really piss for me to try and advance...
Doesn't really find you partners with relation to your league though. I played a lobby of masters most recently. And it plays quite differently.
I figured I could find something like a battle me thread on tl, but I'm not having much luck.

Doesn't really find you partners with relation to your league though. I played a lobby of masters most recently. And it plays quite differently.
I figured I could find something like a battle me thread on tl, but I'm not having much luck.
You can play customs. Also, you don't have a volatility or whatever on SC2 where you start to not gain as many points as you play more, so just messing around on your main ladder account isn't too big of a deal.

personally megaton monobattles, nexus wars, and desert strike are my fav custom games. I just love seeing armies so massive that the game lags to a slideshow of it. (No sarcasm was brought into that sentence.)

there's a metalopolis obs koth custom game... that's where i played like 50 games trying to learn terran. people are normally (in both senses of the word) distributed in the silver-diamond range but you occasionally get masters or bronze players.

or else http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=256154. but not really a point at low level since nothing the other guy says is likely to be "correct". i would just mass games in koth obs.

I miss the old custom maps.. What happened to ELEMENTS and all those awesome DBZ and pokemon rpgs?

Now its all defense defense defense nexus wars defense

150 for forge + 4x 150 for cannons = 7 zealots that are not zealots and you die to bio pressure. or 1/1/1 for that matter

VKCA

yeah toss has it the worst by far

also zvz is really hilarious at my level right now. Literally every zvz I play the enemy will get mutas as fast as possible thinking it'll be fine because my roaches can't shoot up, then they rage quit when their mutas can't take out my roaches before their entire base is dead. I really want to have a nice infestor/fungal roach battle.

I've also stopped floating minerals so much as zerg which is nice. Mainly because I stopped expanding so much and started doing a macro hatch on two base, and it works delightfully well.

150 for forge + 4x 150 for cannons = 7 zealots that are not zealots and you die to bio pressure. or 1/1/1 for that matter
3 gate imortal phoenix works fairly well for toss holding off 111. If they're going banshee you'll be fine with the phoenix, if they went cloak on the banshee you usually have enough time to get an obs out in time (becoming more common to see 1 robo and 1 stargate now). If you didn't go stargate, you'll be fine with 2-3 stalkers around your mineral line with an obs floating around.

If you went FFE and they went cloaked banshee into bio, you'll be fine with just 1 cannon in your mineral line, but usually you'll have a robo up in time to get an obs out. Cannons aren't bad for that reason, but there's more efficient ways of dealing with cloaked banshee.

I am REALLY hoping that zerg gets a tier 1 unit that can hit air. I really don't like spending all of my time having to build spore crawlers when I can make an army of them. Maybe a melee unit that has sucky ground attack, but it uses small wings and attacks like a bee would? So maybe it would take the form of a rhinocerous beetle that could fly! It rams it's opponents with it's horn. That would be a great anti air unit. Of course, it's a ground unit that transforms like a viking, except with wings. Just like a viking. Sucky ground attack but good air attack. I would go for that.

I am REALLY hoping that zerg gets a tier 1 unit that can hit air. I really don't like spending all of my time having to build spore crawlers when I can make an army of them. Maybe a melee unit that has sucky ground attack, but it uses small wings and attacks like a bee would? So maybe it would take the form of a rhinocerous beetle that could fly! It rams it's opponents with it's horn. That would be a great anti air unit. Of course, it's a ground unit that transforms like a viking, except with wings. Just like a viking. Sucky ground attack but good air attack. I would go for that.
Your best bet, really, is to get multiple queens. Not like there's any other alternative...other than spore crawlers, that is.

Anyway...5-0 with two Smogon members in placements...Masters w/ whistle and Diamond w/ Ein...I was hoping Masters...but guess not...meh.

Woot, at the end of November a friend of mine from school is hosting a tournament with me and our school classmates! Gotta ladder up before then.... Must get better! I'm pretty excited for it because we are gonna be doing one every term. It's also the only actual tourney I've been in....lol. But ya, he's gonna be casting the tournament and put it on his facebook acount. Pretty psyched for it. Cheer me on guys! I'll give the anouncements on who won later, after the tourney is over.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
3 gate imortal phoenix works fairly well for toss holding off 111. If they're going banshee you'll be fine with the phoenix, if they went cloak on the banshee you usually have enough time to get an obs out in time (becoming more common to see 1 robo and 1 stargate now). If you didn't go stargate, you'll be fine with 2-3 stalkers around your mineral line with an obs floating around.

I used to go immortal phoenix and was fairly successful (maybe 60% against it, lol), but if I go phoenix based on just my early scout there is the chance that they are not going 1/1/1. And while on some maps phoenixes transition well against terran's standard play, with shorter rush distances they do quite poorly. It also turned out to be a thor rush a couple times instead of 1/1/1, and my phoenixes were pretty worthless then, lol.

Now I have been making my usual play (1gate robo expand) and if I see 1/1/1 I just pump out immortals and go up to 5 or 6 gateways (depending on how soon I think the push is coming). With immortal range up to 6 it isnt horribly difficult to stop now. You just have to be sure you dont lose too much to the banshees before the push comes, so take map control with a unit in the middle or at a xel tower, and keep anti-air in both your mineral lines.

Also forge + cannons in mineral line is a terrible response to banshees that early in the game. You can fend them off fairly easily with gateway units and therefore maintain a higher army when a push comes.

If you went FFE and they went cloaked banshee into bio, you'll be fine with just 1 cannon in your mineral line, but usually you'll have a robo up in time to get an obs out. Cannons aren't bad for that reason, but there's more efficient ways of dealing with cloaked banshee.
wtf who goes ffe against terran? they are free to double expand or kill you with medivacs if you do that.... If you place your buildings poorly they can probably kill you with marines, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)