Status stall

Hello Smogon.

Introduction
I have been absent from competitive battling for some years but have recently begun to get back into the swing of things. I always enjoyed the stall play-style and thought that this would be the best place to start (on familiar ground). After a few weeks reading around the X/Y Overused metagame I begun to build the best stall team I could with the help of this community (who responded beautifully, helpfully and enthusiastically). This is the result of that combined effort. All changes suggested by other raters that I have chosen to impliment are included in this original post, therefore, the team below is the team as it currently stands. Without further ado, here it is:

Overview
The team is a Stall team. As I said above I always enjoyed this style of play (I know, I'm such a bore) and I hoped my familiarity with it may make it easier to return to competitive Pokemon. Firstly, the team is based around three well-known cores: the VenuTran core which is wrapped up in a larger-scale FWG core, (well known for the excellent type synergy and coverage it offers, which I believe is useful in a Stall team) complimented by the SkarmBliss core (which is an ever-popular core among the myriad of stall players out there, again, due to its excellent synergy and coverage). I also decided that I ought to have a good balance of Special and Physical walls (and perhaps mixed walls too) to solidify the teams overall synergy/coverage. It ought to be noted that, more through coincidence than planning, the team seems to have gravitated toward status afflictions as the main cause of residual damage as opposed to entry hazards (with only one entry hazard user and one phaser on the team). Nevertheless, this has proven to be a perfectly acceptable and reliable method of damage-dealing.

The Team
Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SDef / 40 Spd
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
Member one of the FWG core and one half of the VenuTran core. I favour a specially defensive EV spread here with a calm nature and a little speed investment to out-speed Mega Mawile. 0 Attack IVs and the attack reduction from the calm nature helps to mitigate potential confusion/Foul Play damage (as there are no physical attacks in this move-set). Lava Plume is a straightforward STAB attack with a nice burn chance that never goes amiss. This is really the only spot for Stealth Rocks on the team and they are just to useful against the likes of Charizard-Y and Talonflame to pass up. Protect is a move with dual purposes: Firstly, it enables Heatran to scout move-sets. Secondly, it allows Heatran to stall-heal himself with Leftovers in a pinch. Both have proven invaluable. Lastly, Will-O-Wisp may seem redundant given Lava Plume has a good burn chance, however, if my opponents realise that Heatran does not have a reliable burn method they tend to switch in powerful physical attackers that force Heatran out, allowing them a free turn to set up. Also, Will-O-Wisp serves to reliably inflict status upon those Pokemon that are immune to Toxic (which is the preferred method of status-infliction on this team, typically) such as Mega Venusaur.

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Scald
- Recover
Member two of the FWG core. Quagsire is everything a stall team could want from a water type: natural physical bulk, unusual typing and the (frankly, overpowered) ability Unaware. As such, I favour a physically defensive EV spread here with a relaxed nature (as he doesn't notice the speed loss). Scald is a straightforward STAB attack with a decent chance to burn that never goes amiss. Earthquake is also a straightforward STAB attack (thanks to the unusual typing of this Pokemon) and is included for extra coverage. Recover and Leftovers both provide healing capacity to increase longevity and Toxic is an obvious status-inducer. It is worth noting that a significant factor in the inclusion of Quagsire on this team is Unaware. This move allows Quagsire to switch in on already set-up attackers and either wall or Toxic them. I cannot overstate how valuable this ability is to this team.

Venusaur (F) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 6 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
Member three of the FWG core and the second half of the VenuTran core. The EV spread and bold nature are designed to turn Mega Venusaur into a mixed wall and, rest assured, she is a bloody good one! Giga Drain is a great STAB attack that provides supplementary healing alongside the more reliable Synthesise. Sludge Bomb is another great STAB attack with a good chance to poison and is great for hitting switch-ins with a surprise status affliction. Hidden Power Fire is controversial, to be sure. However, it allows Mega Venusaur to act as a check to VoltTurn teams and to hit some of the other common switch-ins with a surprise super-effective move before I switch out myself. IVs are obviously set up for Hidden Power Fire but, conveniently, the low attack IV presence (and bold nature) also helps to minimise potential confusion/Foul Play damage (as there are no physical attacks on this move-set).

Skarmory (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spd
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Whirlwind
- Defog
- Roost
One half of the SkarmBliss core and one of the most infamous physical walls in the game. That is precisely Skarmory's role on this team and the nature and EVs are organised to that effect. There is a relatively hefty speed investment allowing Skarmory to outpace the likes of Ferrothorn, Skarmory, most Baton Passers and (most importantly) Mega Venusaur. True this does impact upon Skarmory's overall bulk but the reason for this investment will become apparent shortly. The bold nature and 0 attack IVs help to mitigate potential confusion/Foul Play damage (as there are no physical attacks on this move-set). Taunt is an endlessly useful move that (with the speed investment noted above) allows Skarmory to prevent the appearance of entry hazards and to allow Skarmory to aid in the whittling down of opposing Mega Venusaur (along with Heatran's Will-O-Wisp). Defog is another endlessly useful move, clearing the field of those perennial entry hazards that can so negatively impact upon the longevity of a stall team. Whirlwind allows Skarmory to phase those stat-up dependent Pokemon that Skarmory is not fast enough to Taunt (such as Ninjask and other naturally speedy Baton Passers). Roost is a straightforward healing move. A rocky helmet helps with some residual damage due to the absence of Toxic on this move-set.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SDef
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
Not SkarmBliss but SkarmChan! I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that Chansey completely outclasses Blissey in terms of overall bulk thanks to Eviolite. True, this comes at the cost of a weakness to Knock-Off but intelligent play can circumvent this threat quite easily. The EV spread and nature are designed to turn Chansey into a mixed wall (which it does quite well, but its always a bit better on the special side of things). Chansey is the teams Wish-passer (Heal Bell is included elsewhere) which aids the teams overall longevity (especially Heatran, who has no healing move of his own). Speaking of which Soft-Boiled is Chansey's healing move. Seismic Toss is for some damage-dealing and Toxic is for hitting those things Seismic Toss cannot. As Seismic Toss is not dependent upon the attack statistic 0 attack IVs and a bold nature help to mitigate potential confusion/Foul Play damage.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
As the team stands it has a major weakness to Landorus-I. Earth Power OHKOs Heatran and 2HKOs Qaugsire; Focus Blast 2HKOs Skarmory; Knock Off paired with Focus Blast is rapidly fatal to Chansey and Venusaur is 2HKO'd by Psychic. True, Clefable is vulnerable to a potential Sludge Wave, however, this obliges Landorus to omit Earth Power or Psychic which would allow another member of my team to wall it (Quagsire or Venusaur depending on the particular omission). Thus this Pokemon serves as a check to Landorus. Clefable blends into the team beautifully as a special wall, too. As such, the EVs and nature are set up to that effect. Moreover Clefable adds much to the team in the form of Heal Bell, allowing status afflictions to be healed by someone other than Chansey (allowing Chansey to pass Wishes which greatly improves the entire squads vitality). Lastly, Clefable serves as a win condition should I have need of one. After a few Calm Minds Moonblast hits ridiculously hard (which is Clefable's STAB attack allowing it to wall dragons too). Again, as there are no physical attacks on this move-set 0 attack IVs and the calm nature both minimise potential confusion/Foul Play damage.

Last Words
So thats the squad! I think I have managed to cover most of the huge threats in the OU meta-game, but please feel free to pick it apart. If you notice any weaknesses or wish to point out any inefficiencies/superior sets please feel free to do so! If you wish to copy and paste the team then feel free to do that too. If you notice anything during your use of the team then please comment to that effect! Any information/rates/test results/criticisms would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time and effort

Oh, and please be gentle :)

Importable
Here is the importable for ease of copy and paste:

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SDef / 40 Spd
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Scald
- Recover

Venusaur (F) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 6 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Skarmory (F) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spd
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Whirlwind
- Defog
- Roost

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SDef
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Most stall teams run Unaware Quagsire or Clefable so that stat boosts by the opponent will be ignored while both of them either boost themselves or just stall with toxic/time. I would consider using one of those to help with your stall teams as Hyper Offense relies heavily on their stat boosts and constant offensive pressure. Taunt is nice on Skarmory but generally it will only be able to catch other mons that are slower and not the faster ones so be wary of that. I only know a handful of information regarding stall but what I mentioned is generally things to consider as you build your stall team.

So perhaps running the following Quagsire set, rather than Suicune:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
-Earthquake
-Haze
-Recover
-Toxic

This issue I have with this is I loose the ability to burn in an emergency should there be a toxic-resistant pokemon giving me trouble. Anyone else willing to wade in on this issue? Or willing to suggest alternative Quagsire sets? Such as this:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
-Earthquake
-Scald
-Recover
-Toxic

Last edited:
I'm no Stall expert but here are my two cents. First, why Calm on Chansey? If you have a higher purpose for using Calm (living an attack / reducing damage from an attack from a mon Chansey's supposed to check), then use it by all means. Otherwise, Bold is the better option as it patches up Chansey's Defense. Next, SubToxic Aegislash is an interesting choice for a Stall team. It hits Gengar (Who was used as a stallbreaker to a great effect. Replay can be found here) I'd suggest trying out SpDef Heatran. It forms the infamous VenuTran core that most Stall teams are based from. It also forms a really solid FWG core you're making with Quagsire. However, if you wish to divert from the regular Stall teams, SubToxic Aegislash is pretty damn good. Anyway, back to Quagsire. The first spread you listed is kinda useful against stuff like CM Clefable, Nasty Plot Celebi (which I haven't seen lol) or simply boosting special sweepers so you can Haze away its boosts. But Quag is a bit frail on the special side to stay in on those stuff anyway. So I think the second spread you listed works better in general.

Hope my suggestions helped and good luck with your team!

Thank you for wading in on Quagsire. The adjustments have been made to the OP.
As for heatran: I haven't really given him much thought so are you thinking a set like this:

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar

I included roar for just a little phasing capability, but the lack of entry hazard on this team may mean I can afford to run something better so some input would be appreciated here.

Thank you for wading in on Quagsire. The adjustments have been made to the OP.
As for heatran: I haven't really given him much thought so are you thinking a set like this:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar

I included roar for just a little phasing capability, but the lack of entry hazard on this team may mean I can afford to run something better so some input would be appreciated here.
Kinda. But I'd swap Will-o-wisp for Toxic or even SR. Wisp is kinda redundant with Lava Plume's 30% burn chance. It's also a surefire way of getting residual damage on stuff. Heatran also gets Taunt iirc and it could be of use especially against opposing Stall. Anyway, you should consult some experienced Stall players about this.

Glad I've been of help. Good luck with your team!

Reactions: AM
Thank you for your input and your wish of good luck.
Okay so here is the deabted Heatran set:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Toxic
- Taunt

Provides good synergy ( I the from of an FWG core), more toxic and burn ability, another taunter adn another special wall. However, I lose my Lati@s counter in place of merely a check in Heatran and Gengar become more difficult to deal with as a wallbreaker. Anyone else care to get thier two cents in? It would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball

Special Defense over Special Attack, you're trying to make Aegislash as bulky as possible to take hits and stall with the Substitute and King's Shield combination, when in blade form from firing a Shadow Ball, Aegislash still does a decent amount to most Pokemon. I would know this because I prefer to use this set on my teams sometimes as well. The Special Defense will enable you to keep your Substitute up, get the Toxic of on a Pokemon and then still continue to stall with King's Shield while hitting hard between Blade and Shield form from using the Shadow Ball.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind/Defog
- Spikes/Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Brave Bird

The Skarmory set that you are currently using is frowned upon with the amount of Special Attackers in OU that threaten Skarmory in one form or another, not to mention that you have no moves that actually stop the opponent setting up on you at least once because Skarmory with Taunt and no Speed EVs won't be out speeding Pokemon who usually set up like Nasty Plot Thundurus and you aren't actually able to do any damage towards them with that move set. Counter... when seeing Skarmory unless it is at a low HP most people don't bother hitting it with physical attacks knowing it can Roost and isn't going to do much anyways.

Whirlwind avoids that happening, has helped me tons of times for things like Cosmic Power Clefable or Pokemon I can't touch. Defog is pretty much for removing hazards because...why would you ever want hazards on your side, Spikes is a good combination with Whirlwind allowing you to do heavy damage to your opponent when forcing them to switch. Roost is the get back your HP obviously, maybe from setting up hazards and a Pokemon was attacking or recoil from Brave Bird from trying to finish of an opponent.

Thank you for your input and your wish of good luck.
Okay so here is the deabted Heatran set:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Toxic
- Taunt

Provides good synergy ( I the from of an FWG core), more toxic and burn ability, another taunter adn another special wall. However, I lose my Lati@s counter in place of merely a check in Heatran and Gengar become more difficult to deal with as a wallbreaker. Anyone else care to get thier two cents in? It would be much appreciated.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Toxic/Stealth Rock
- Roar

Don't bother with Taunt, Heatran is already stupidly slow, if a Pokemon is setting up on you go for 'Roar' which is what I am suggesting, change Roar for Taunt, it means that they also won't have their boosts as well to hit your other Pokemon. Lava Plume is fine, pretty much essential because of the STAB and nice burn chance to cripple Physical Attackers that threaten Heatran. Protect is a nice combination with Toxic and good for scouting Pokemon locked into one move or not. Toxic is to obviously rack up damage on opponents. If you feel it isn't doing too much for you feel free to switch it to Stealth Rock and give Skarmory the Spikes/Defog as Heatran has Roar.

Hope I helped! Good luck with your team.

First:

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Whirlind
- Toxic
- Foul Play / Knock Off

Iron defense is a wasted slot. U already have a huge def. Phazing is better. For a stal removing choice band/life orb is probably better than doing damages.

Brave bird over counter let u kill megasaur (or pp stall synthesis) and do damage on everything.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 Sdef / 252 Def / 8 HP
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish

With this evs spread u maximize the bonus from eviolite, more sdef is better instead of 60 HP. Wish passing helps u to do safe switches, softboiled is for heal yourself without wasting a turn.

U can even think to move all def Evs into sdef for megasaur: 3 defensive wall are enought.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 Sdef / 252 Def / 8 HP
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish

With this evs spread u maximize the bonus from eviolite, more sdef is better instead of 60 HP. Wish passing helps u to do safe switches, softboiled is for heal yourself without wasting a turn.

U can even think to move all def Evs into sdef for megasaur: 3 defensive wall are enought.
Yeah, I was thinking on this myself. I was going to suggest Wish but then realised that 5 out of 6 have access to recovery in some form of way and then Aegislash has Leftovers with Substitute and King's Shield therefore allowing him to get his HP back up while stalling so why not let Chansey have the job of Toxic stalling as well as the other Pokemon and for herself in a 1v1 stall battle therefore leaving it as Toxic > Wish as the other Pokemon can fend for themselves when it comes to recovery.

Last edited:
Thank you all!

Yeah, I was thinking on this myself. I was going to suggest Wish but then realised that 5 out of 6 have access to recovery in some form of way and then Aegislash has Leftovers with Substitute and King's Shield therefore allowing him to get his HP back up while stalling so why not let Chansey have the job of Toxic stalling as well as the other Pokemon and for for herself in a 1v1 stall battle therefore leaving it as Toxic > Wish as the other Pokemon can fend for themselves when it comes to recovery.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Thank you for the suggested sets on Skarmory, Aegislash, Venusaur and Heatran Darnell and Dalai Drama. However, I disagree that Iron Defense is a wasted slot. I've found it too handy too often.

I'm still no further forward on deciding whether to run Heatran or Aegislash as both have such great reasons to be on this team. If anyone has any good reasons to run one over the other then I'd gladly listen to all points.

Again, the changes suggested have been added to the OP and again, thank you to all those who have contributed.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
MANDIBUZZ

This isn't a bad set. I recommend that you use Defog on Mandibuzz, and take it off of Skarmory. Skarmory would much more appreciated Stealth Rock, over Defog. Stealth Rock is arguably one of the best moves in the game and it is so worth having it on something like skarmory, especially since it has sturdy.

VENUSAUR

This is good set. I would recommend however that you use Giga Drain over HP Fire. This helps MegaSaur recover more health in a more reliable way, without wasting a turn on Synthesis. I would use HP Fire over Synthesis, since you already should have two reliable ways of recovery. Synthesis could still be used, but you would have to give up HP Fire.

SKARMORY

I think I already covered this in Mandibuzz's section.

CHANSEY

Nothing wrong here.

AEGISLASH

I would give up Substitute for Shadow Sneak or Sacred Sword. Shadow Sneak is good for finishing off weak opponents with your high attack stat, and Sacred Sword can do good damage against Steel Types who think that they wall Aegislash. Substitute also takes a chunk of Aegislash's health away, and the whole idea of what you're doing is stalling.

QUAGSIRE

I would definitely get rid of Toxic for Encore. This is because Scald already has a chance to burn, and Encore can screw over Pokemon who stall, try to set up, or who are using Substitute.

This isn't a bad team. 8/10.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Hey there, got the request to rate the team.

Most of what I have to say has already been said.
Iron Defense < Defog on Mandibuzz,
This way you can move in Taunt to Skarm over Defog. However, packing hazards is always a good idea, so Stealth Rocks is definitely an option too.

For mega Venusaur, I'd honestly just run synthesis+3 attacks or synthesis+sleep powder+STABs.
It's your choice, depending on if you like sleep powder or not. I personally like eq>sleep powder.

Everything else honestly looks fine to me.
Good job on this team!

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic
- Foul Play

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
-Earthquake
-Scald
-Recover
-Encore

These are the sets you suggest adding. True, this would be more like a normal stall team. Also, there is a more compelling reason to include heatran as another phaser and stealth rocker. Also, not running toxic on Quagsire detracts from the poison motif, but I see your point! I'll test with them in and see whats what. Thank you for your input.

Just a small update for all those who are interested. After a few days playtesting/reading/having the team rated I've updated the OP to include all the changes made and the current state of the team. Any further comments/criticisms would still be greatly appreciated.

Hey there!
Honestly, there isn't anything wrong with this team at the moment. It looks perfectly fine, and there probably isn't anything new I could add on to further improve it. Wish on Chansey would probably be the best option to boost your team's longevity, so you have a way to heal Aegislash/Heatran in a pinch, since protect stalling for Leftovers recovery isn't exactly the most efficient way to go about recovering your HP (it still does fine though, but I'm kind of paranoid ;-;). Also, run 31 Atk IVs if you're using Iron Head on Aegislash, and 0 Atk IVs if you're using Substitute (I think you probably just forgot to add it in your description).
Other than that, I have nothing more to add on, and this team is definitely going to do just fine on the ladder.

Sorry for not being of much help with this rate.
Have a nice day!

So, I really like this team, its pretty kewl :]

• First off, on the heatran set you dont want to lose rocks so always keep them on there. I love protect heatran, it's really good for getting that extra turn of lefties and it can scout really well and (as long as you dont overuse it/protect spam) it generally is the better move. But I'll get back to this later.
  • On venu, I'm not a big fan of 3 attacking moves. I really do think you should run leech seed (not toxic) and you could consider sleep powder. I think you should swap earthquake.
  • Like some of the other people suggested, sub/toxic/kings shiel/shadow ball aegislash is really good and original, you should defs try it out and see how well it does.
  • Also run a bit more spdef on chansey, take like 100 ev's out of hp, just a small nitpick.
I think these changes would improve the team, but you do lose against other stall teams. If you run into those often (you prolly wont) you could change protect back to earth power and run sacred sword aegi for chansey (if you decide to not like sub/ks/toxic). You could hazard juggle too, put rocks on skarm and get rid of like whirlwind or something else. BB is nice so you dont become taunt fodder, and with all the phazing you have it is the most replaceable.

I'll get back to this tomorrow, I'm really tired now :)

I agree with your assesment of Heatran, Stealth Rocks is just too valuable to go without. I also prefer the added heal from Leech Seed (especially because it can be set up and passed). I'll re-test the SDef Aegislash and re-evaluate. Perhaps I can re-route all the HP EV investment on Chansey and re-route it into SDef like so: 252 Def/252 SDef/4 HP?

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Hi! I received your message on my profile. I don't have a lot of time right now, I will help improve it again soon, but for right now, here are some things I see:

Quagsire's moveset is a little unorthodox at the moment. I suggest changing it to this:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
Impish / Lax Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Haze is extremely redundant with Unaware, I would rather Earthquake something and get damage than remove stat boosts that don't affect me. Due to this change, Quagsire should have 31 Atk IVs and an Impish/Lax nature instead of Bold.

Also, change Venusaur's nature from Relaxed to Bold. You aren't running any physical attacks on Venusaur, and there's no reason to decrease Venusaur's Speed, so Bold is better.

As I said, I will test it out more and try to improve it. By the way, for future reference, it would be helpful if you included a list of Pokémon that give your team trouble, so people can think of improvements write on the spot.
Good luck with your team!

Thank you one and all for your time and contributions. I've edited the OP to include the changes I've found useful and the team is much more formidable than before. Again, thank you. Any further comments/rates/fine-tuning/nit-picking would still be appreciated.

For now all I can think to ask is would I get away with running a 4 HP/252 Def/252 SDef EV spread on Chansey?

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Thank you one and all for your time and contributions. I've edited the OP to include the changes I've found useful and the team is much more formidable than before. Again, thank you. Any further comments/rates/fine-tuning/nit-picking would still be appreciated.

For now all I can think to ask is would I get away with running a 4 HP/252 Def/252 SDef EV spread on Chansey?
You're welcome. To answer your question about Chansey, yes you could get away with it, as it is actually the current EV spread for Chansey. Because it has such high HP, it doesn't need to invest in that stat, so it can max out Def and SDef.

As someone with experience with stall in both OU and Ubers over the past 2 generations, I feel I am in a good place to make suggestions. I only have small nitpicks really though.

You seem to be wanting to make the most of Eviolite on Chansey. For this purpose, I recommend an EV spread of 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SDef with a Calm nature. Obviously 252 Def, with 216 SDef and a Calm nature you hit a jump point where those last 4 EVs give you 2 stat points instead of just 1, rest in HP. Also, while nice and often useful, I question if Heal Bell is absolutely necessary. If you are prepared to give it up, Chansey can pack Wish to help Aegislash and Heatran who don't have a reliable recovery move, or even take Stealth Rock and free a moveslot on Heatran. Chansey does have Natural Cure after all, and Heatran is immune to both poison and burn.

I use a similar Aegislash moveset in Ubers, I like it. I prefer 2 STAB attacks on Aegislash though. Personally I would run physical, I like the extra power of Gyro Ball against faster threats and revenge killing with Shadow Sneak. Iron Head is more reliable if you dislike Gyro Ball against slower threats. The use of a steel STAB move allows Aegislash to check pokemon like Mega Tyranitar who is very scary after a Dragon Dance. Shadow Sneak picks off weakened pokemon and is effective against Latios. I find smart switching and clever use of Kings Shield renders Substitute unnecessary.

Skarmory really needs Brave Bird to check pokemon like opposing Mega Venusaur. Counter can pull off some spectacular things on occasion but that's the thing, it only works occasionally and once the opponent has seen it, they won't risk letting you pull it off. With stall, reliability is the name of the game and Brave Bird is the reliable option.

How would you check VoltTurn? Heatran and Skarmory wall (Mega) Scizor, Mega Venusaur and Chansey wall Rotom-W. Nothing walls both. Add in entry hazards and the offensive pressure these two alone can apply will slowly wear you down. A well built VoltTurn team will have other pokemon using U-Turn and Volt Switch too, like Infernape who beats everyone except Quagsire. With this in mind, I'm thinking that Hidden Power Fire could be a good option on Mega Venusaur. I would replace Leech Seed but that is my personal preference, you replace whichever move you feel is least important.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Got your request, didn't forget ~_~

A big issue with playing stall is that you're going to go into a ridiculously long stalemate with opposing stall teams, especially if they run defog. Taunt on Skarmory is a way to ensure that opposing Skarmory aren't able to set up rocks or defog on you, and it also ensures that Hippowdon and Ferrothorn can't set up entry hazards on you either. Run 88 speed evs on the Skarmory and then you get to outspeed Venusaur, meaning that the standard Venusaur won't be able to recover/sleep/seed against you and will be more easily whittled down. Apart from Mega Venusaur, Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, and opposing Skarmory, Taunt on Skarmory also helps you with Chansey because they won't be able to wishpass to opposing teammates. It's very underrated and is an amazing utility to have against opposing stall teams to maintain your pressure.

Speaking of Mega Venusaur, it's going to be complete bitch to whittle down because its immune to toxic and your best ways of damaging it come from aegislash and fishing for heatran lava plume burns--and for this reason I'd really consider running Will-O-Wisp over Roar. And no, it is not redundant with Lava Plume lol. If your opponent realizes that you don't have Will-O-Wisp then they are more willing to bring in hard physical hitters like cb dragonite or cb azumarill to pressure your team a bit more. I'm not saying that you don't have responses to these kinds of threats, but burn is amazing against teams that load up on the physical attackers and puts a lot less of a burden on your quagsire and venusaur.

Skarmory@rocky helmet
impish 252 hp / 88 spe / 168 def
taunt / whirlwind / defog / roost

WoW>Roar on Heatran

Interesting stuff from you both. Thanks for the Chansey EV reccomendation and also for the forst explanation I've seen for why Brave Bird is better than Counter (most people don't go any further than just telling me it sucks). I'm wondering if Pulse's reservations about being able to whittle down opposing Mega Venusaurs are addressed by the addition of HP fire on Venusaur and Brave Bird on Skarmory? I like roar on Heatran becasue I can phase away stat-uppers but I'll certainly give WoW a try. I used to use Taunt on Skarmory but I did it without so much speed investment so I'll certainly try out your set and see what happens. As for Aegislash would I have to play with Speed IVs to maximise the power of Gyro Ball? Would it be enough simply to switch my SAtk EVs into Atk (and obviously restore the Atk IVs)? Or would you reccommend a different EV set all together?

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Off the top my head your team is pretty weak to a fairly standard 4 attack LAndorus-I

EArth Power OHKOs tran, 2HKO aegis and Qaugs, Focus Blast 2hkos Skarm, Knock Off + Focus Blast is nasty to Chansey, I believe Focus Blast 2HKOs after eviolite is gone, Venusaur is 2HKO'd by Psychic.

Togekiss is rather underused on stall teams, however it can spread paralysis, heal bell, defog, and wall a fair number of things. It cna get hit by Lando's Sludge WAve ubt if it has that then it lacks a move to hit either Skarm or Venu or Chansey so you can wall it. Something to look into.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)