Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
There doesn't appear to be a way to get Mail as a held item in the team builder. I know it's not the most significant item, but Mail does have the in battle effect of making Trick and Switcheroo fail, so it should be an option. I mean, Plume Fossil is listed and I don't think that even does anything, so I was pretty surprised to find Mail absent.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
There doesn't appear to be a way to get Mail as a held item in the team builder. I know it's not the most significant item, but Mail does have the in battle effect of making Trick and Switcheroo fail, so it should be an option. I mean, Plume Fossil is listed and I don't think that even does anything, so I was pretty surprised to find Mail absent.
There are a few items missing from the list in the Teambuilder, but at least one type of Mail will be added eventually for this purpose.

Mail no longer blocks trick/switcheroo in gen 5. Fossils give strong Fling power.
Holding Mail still makes Trick and Switcheroo fail, it's Knock Off that can remove it.

Hi!

I just would like to let you know that for being in an early stage, this simulator is looking to have a lot of potential! However, there are a few things that I would like to suggest to help improve the simulator as a whole. I feel some of these have probably already been mentioned, but I really don't wanna sift through 12 pages of posts just in case my suggestion was already made so sorry in advanced for repeat suggestions.

#1. Now I know for a FACT this has been suggested, but I'm gonna suggest anyways because its important - the ladder needs SERIOUS fixing. The points system makes absolutely no sense and I keep running into very low points players even when my score is somewhat higher (1750-1800 running into 600-900 points players?)

#2. A real means of saving replays/logs. It's been so frustrating to accidentally exit out of a battle to never be able to see that replay ever again. I battled a friend of mine and we had a really good battle he wanted to record for his youtube channel only to realize afterward that if you exit out of the battle window, your replay is lost forever. Please fix this. lol

#3. Tournaments and Friends lists. One thing i really liked about PO was that people could host tournaments and such. The fact that you have to go through some external program to host a tournament seems silly to me. Also, I think something that would add a lot to Pokemon Showdown is friends lists. Many other online gaming clients these days have a means to log friends and people you meet online to communicate, challenge, talk to and see if they are online. Why don't we move pokemon simulators in this direction?

#4 Small little help section for newer players. Now this last one is a little nitpicky and not even that necessary, but i've noticed a larger number of novice players on this server than the Smogon PO server back in the day and I think maybe having just a few links to guide players in the right direction (maybe a link to the Smogon analysis page, a short brief description of EVs or IVs, etc.) would help marginally increase the skill level of players. Maybe call it a "Is this your first time here? If so click here" and give the rules of the simulator and a small little guide toward getting started battling.

Anyways, good luck and I hope that you take my suggestions with some consideration!

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
#1. Now I know for a FACT this has been suggested, but I'm gonna suggest anyways because its important - the ladder needs SERIOUS fixing. The points system makes absolutely no sense and I keep running into very low points players even when my score is somewhat higher (1750-1800 running into 600-900 points players?)
While this seems good in theory, you need to take into account the varying degrees of usage each tier sees. While Random Battles and Overused would still enable you to find matches, other tiers like Rarely Used or Little Cup would become desolate wastelands.

#2. A real means of saving replays/logs. It's been so frustrating to accidentally exit out of a battle to never be able to see that replay ever again. I battled a friend of mine and we had a really good battle he wanted to record for his youtube channel only to realize afterward that if you exit out of the battle window, your replay is lost forever. Please fix this. lol
This is currently in the works.

#3. Tournaments and Friends lists. One thing i really liked about PO was that people could host tournaments and such. The fact that you have to go through some external program to host a tournament seems silly to me. Also, I think something that would add a lot to Pokemon Showdown is friends lists. Many other online gaming clients these days have a means to log friends and people you meet online to communicate, challenge, talk to and see if they are online. Why don't we move pokemon simulators in this direction?
A tournament engine is planned, however, Pokemon Showdown will most likely not be implementing friends lists or many other customizations. That being said, Smogon itself does have a friends list system.

#4 Small little help section for newer players. Now this last one is a little nitpicky and not even that necessary, but i've noticed a larger number of novice players on this server than the Smogon PO server back in the day and I think maybe having just a few links to guide players in the right direction (maybe a link to the Smogon analysis page, a short brief description of EVs or IVs, etc.) would help marginally increase the skill level of players. Maybe call it a "Is this your first time here? If so click here" and give the rules of the simulator and a small little guide toward getting started battling.
This is more or less already covered by the /intro command and the FAQ page.

While this seems good in theory, you need to take into account the varying degrees of usage each tier sees. While Random Battles and Overused would still enable you to find matches, other tiers like Rarely Used or Little Cup would become desolate wastelands.
I don't think that's necessarily true considering when I played on Smogon's PO server back in the day, i could get matches with players of similar ratings with not much problem and it seems that at peak server times there are MORE players than there were on Smogon PO's server. (I've seen 1200+ people on Showdown compared to the average 600-700 on Smogon PO)

I don't understand how matching you with players of similar ratings will turn ladders into desolate wastelands.

Also, how to the points work on the ladder? I don't get the purpose of the bonus pool or how points are determined in match-ups. Also I've had matches where there was absolutely no score update at all. The E-lo system, while not perfect for Pokemon, worked alot better than the current showdown ladder does.

Either way, the Ladder really is the #1 thing i'd like to see fixed and I know for a fact that im not the only one. Really i could go play on PO's working ladder on the beta server but someone thought making Kyurem-B legal in OU was a good idea so I really don't wanna play there. lol

The ranking and matchmaking in the ladder works fine; you not knowing how it works doesn't mean it's broken. There are other problems that are being worked on--just none of the things you mentioned regarding it, since none of those are actual problems.

This is an extremely minor suggestion, but perhaps a cooldown period for the ! commands. Countless times someone asks how to change an avatar or something of that nature, and three mods respond within a short period with !avatars. If after the first time it was disabled for say, 10 seconds, it would prevent the chat becoming congested with the boxes as well as all the "lol ninja'd/crap ninja'd" messages that often follow.

This is an extremely minor suggestion, but perhaps a cooldown period for the ! commands. Countless times someone asks how to change an avatar or something of that nature, and three mods respond within a short period with !avatars. If after the first time it was disabled for say, 10 seconds, it would prevent the chat becoming congested with the boxes as well as all the "lol ninja'd/crap ninja'd" messages that often follow.

I LOVE THIS IDEA SO FUCKING MUCH

NEW FAVORITE USER

IMPLEMENT IT NOW PLEASE

Can we please make the timer for forfeiting a match a longer or switch to a timer system for making moves? It is really aggravating if anything that occupies your time for more than 2:25 (like going to the bathroom, talking to someone, getting something) makes you lose a match. With the timer gets shorter for each time it is requested, you get increasingly chained to the computer.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I don't think that's necessarily true considering when I played on Smogon's PO server back in the day, i could get matches with players of similar ratings with not much problem and it seems that at peak server times there are MORE players than there were on Smogon PO's server. (I've seen 1200+ people on Showdown compared to the average 600-700 on Smogon PO)
A large number of the people online don't actually battle, they just sit there and make PS lag >.>

Roie's rating: 1569 → 1572
(+3 for winning)
ThepowaH's rating: 1569 → 1550
(-30 for losing, +11 from bonus pool)

We had the same rating but he loses 30, I gain 3. When I win from people higher than me, I gain maybe 4. When I lose I lose over 10 at a time. This makes it not even fun.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Roie's rating: 1569 → 1572
(+3 for winning)
ThepowaH's rating: 1569 → 1550
(-30 for losing, +11 from bonus pool)

We had the same rating but he loses 30, I gain 3. When I win from people higher than me, I gain maybe 4. When I lose I lose over 10 at a time. This makes it not even fun.
You likely have played far more battles than him, making your rating more difficult to change.

Also, if you haven't seen before on this thread, the ladder is not completely finished yet; faults in rating updates are common and proper amounts of gains/losses in the ladder is not finished yet. I'd recommend not taking the ladder too seriously right now.

We need to be able to change the order of the whole team in team preview, not just the lead. I have a Zoroark on one of my teams, and Illusion is basically useless when they can see the team preview and always know what Pokemon it is disguised as.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We need to be able to change the order of the whole team in team preview, not just the lead. I have a Zoroark on one of my teams, and Illusion is basically useless when they can see the team preview and always know what Pokemon it is disguised as.
If I recall correctly, Showdown! uses about the same format the game uses for team preview and battling on Wi-fi. If that's the way it's done ingame, it'll be the way Showdown! does it.

What if a user's Showdown profile or whatever you call that bit with Challenge/PM included a link to the forum profile of that name?

Hey so I have noticed that people often share battle videos in the main chat and it is a real pain to open them in a new window and all, i think it would be cleaner just to enter the room of the battle in the same window. So basically i reckon that a "share room" command would be a good feature to have! similar to the whois commands iirc but sharing the actual room

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but is it possible to make the ladder so that you don't face the same person multiple times in a row? Yesterday I got the same guy 3 times in a row, while today I got one person twice in a row and another person 3 times in a row. I've even heard a few people mention that they've been matched up against the same guy in 5 consecutive matches. It's really annoying and it's something I [and several other people] think should be fixed, if possible. Thanks.

On devices like the Ipad, when you enter a battle, the battle chat does not appear and you cannot see the log or chat with your opponent. All that you can see is the battle window where the animations take place. This has significantly low priority since a majority of users would not benefit from it, but I was hoping that somewhere down the road, this could be changed so that the chat does appear for those of us who use tablets.

Suggestion

Why dont you guys add 4v4 Double battles like me and a friend can take on another team? and each person can have 2 Pokes and you can battle and you can have a privatechat tht enemy cant see and you guys can stratgise i think it sounds like a good idea but i dont know if you will like it :/ anyways thts my suggestion plz reply Bye :D

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Why dont you guys add 4v4 Double battles like me and a friend can take on another team? and each person can have 2 Pokes and you can battle and you can have a privatechat tht enemy cant see and you guys can stratgise i think it sounds like a good idea but i dont know if you will like it :/ anyways thts my suggestion plz reply Bye :D
2v2 Double Battles are planned for the future. But its a long way off.

On devices like the Ipad, when you enter a battle, the battle chat does not appear and you cannot see the log or chat with your opponent. All that you can see is the battle window where the animations take place. This has significantly low priority since a majority of users would not benefit from it, but I was hoping that somewhere down the road, this could be changed so that the chat does appear for those of us who use tablets.
iirc, if you zoom out and you should be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)