Sun/Moon Random Doubles Battle Sets

I ran into a Mesprit set today that I thought was somewhat problematic, which was Choice Scarf Mesprit with Psychic/Trick/Calm Mind/Substitute. There's no proof of that in the replay as I only used one move with it the entire match (shocker!), but I'll include it below anyways. I suppose in theory it technically has Trick, so it's not like an objectively dumb thing, but I still think it's pretty bad and should be fixed. Even ensuring Choice'd sets have two functioning attacks would go a long way. (Psychic/2nd Attack/Trick/Sub is probably ok, for example)

Link: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randomdoublesbattle-750877630

Also about the Hariyama set I posted earlier--no I don't know its other moves. The only one I know is Helping Hand, which is the only other thing it did in the game.

I ran into this: I recieved a Stunfisk that not only had Limber (a useless ability on it since it's part electric) but it also had a Cheri Berry (Out of all items) which would cure it from a Paralysis that it couldn't receive. Why does this exist again? Bit odd if you ask me.
Small Showdown.png

Another weird one: got a Shaymin-Sky with HP Fire, Earth Power, Substitute, and Air Slash. Didn't save the replay but in chat we agreed this set was questionable.

Why was mega-rayquaza removed from doubles? It wasn't banned from ubers doubles so I don't see why it isn't present in random doubles sets..

A couple arceus forms are running around with low bp spread utility moves as their only form of stab and then getting a z-crystal generated with it. Darkium-z snarl arceus dark + icium-z icy wind arceus ice come to mind. Any way to program for this not to happen? A 100 bp z move is really really underwhelming.

Last edited:
Got a Huntail with Baton Pass and nothing to pass (Protect, Waterfall, Sucker Punch)... pretty sure those sorts of sets shouldn't exist

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Heyo, I have several people still complaining about Guts Dynamic Punch Machamp and Sheer Force Fake Out Hariyama. I don't have any screenshots, however the github data corroborates these accounts, as well as the previous posts discussing these sets. Hope something can be done, thank you

Agree about those two ^^^ also I think Bastiodon could use some better moves. Rock Slide and Earthquake would be a good start. Maybe a steel move too like Iron Head. Literally the ONLY attack it gets is Stone Edge which is unreliable. I get its attack stats suck but it just seems extremely useless. At least giving it rs and eq lets it hit multiple targets. It still dies to ground/fighting easily anyway and metal burst is super easy to predict around.

I don't have screen shots, but I saw the following recently:

A ribombee with protect / moonblast / pollen puff / baton pass. I admit that baton pass has some use in playing off someone's switch, but I feel it's really meant for a quiver dance set.

A keldeo with calm mind / secret sword / scald / hydro pump. Scald and hydro pump are both good moves, but redundant on the same set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)