Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

depends on which pacman they use
Probably the new design they made for the TV show due to air this summer (and the show is going to have a videogame tie-in in the fall). I think it's still called Pacman and the Ghostly Adventures.
He's likely to get in, since it looks like Namco is trying to give him a come back, and modern kids will know who he is from the show and new games. This will piss me off if he gets in: Nintendo has such a long and rich history filled with viable fighters, and they use a slot on a third party character that just.....what does he even do besides eat?

Also not too fond of Wii Fit Trainer. When I first heard about it, I thought: "What the heck is she gonna do, strangle people with her sports bra?" I mean, sure, she does seem to actually have interesting moves (judging by the video), but who would really care about her? I think this was just an inside joke that people at Nintendo thought was funny, but w/e. I'm still getting the game on 3DS.

Haha, Sakurai had previously stated that the Animal Crossing Villager had an "innocent charm that would be ruined if he was in a fighting game."

Oh, he had no idea.

I know that this discussion was from pages back, but Bowser and Ridley are very different characters.

Bowser comes from a more magical universe, and he is himself supposed to be a powerful sorcerer (though apparently not a very good short-term combat sorcerer). So not only is Bowser's size very inconsistent across games, but it can also be explained in a hand-wavy way. It also has little impact on his character overall as long as he's bigger than Mario, judging by the fact that he occasionally feels the need to make himself even bigger.

Ridley, on the other hand, has towered over Samus in every game other than his NES incarnation. Where Nintendo fails to convince people that Bowser's consistently at, say, the size he is in Super Mario World or Super Mario Galaxy or New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the Metroid games are quite consistent in depicting Ridley as a Godzilla-like figure that Samus encounters over and over again, once they have the hardware to do it (i.e. not the NES). The precise size does not come into the picture in either Bowser's or Ridley's case; Ridley is supposed to be really fucking huge.

If indeed the guys at Sora aren't thinking about the size issue as much as we do, then my bets are highly against Ridley ever becoming a PC. It just wouldn't "feel right" for the reasons I've given. That's why he got the same treatment in Brawl as, say, Rayquaza.

---

As for the Tales suggestion, I kind of have to agree that it would be difficult to separate a Tales character from other Smash sword fighters, unless said character had something different going for him/her. In this regard, Cress/Cless seems like the only protagonist who could really fit that bill, mostly due to his spacetime hax powers. Other characters usually have to resort to Mystic Artes to do similar things. Even that seems rather inadequate, though. Still, I'd kind of like to have him in Smash just to see the awkwardness when old and new fans clash over how his name is spelled :P

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
This will piss me off if he gets in: Nintendo has such a long and rich history filled with viable fighters, and they use a slot on a third party character that just.....what does he even do besides eat?
Well, he can kick, roll around in a little ball, bounce, punch (probably), and I assume that his arm and legged version could be made to do a lot.

If pacman got in, I bet hed be a character really similar to Mr Game and watch. A mish mash of all his iconic moves and accessories like pretzels and power dots combined with stand alone kicking and punching.

Star date: June 13, 2013.

It has been 13 hours and 25 minutes since Japan time and there is no update in sight. At first I convinced myself that they moved Japan time from noon to midnight JST and that's why it was late, however we would've gotten the update by now if that were the case. The only explanation I can think of is that Wii Fit Trainer was our update for today and we just got it early, although I fear Japan may also be frozen in time.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can anybody else show videos like The Diverman's? I'd like to see the e3 attendees' reactions to what's being shown in terms of the whole Smash Bros kabam.

Also seriously we're saturated in swordsmen right now, so I'm hoping they know what they're doing.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ridley is Godzilla-like in size?

Yeah, not even close to close. Ridley is as big as Giga Bowser, it wouldn't be a huge stretch to scale him down a bit and still be the biggest PC.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
please give me minecraft steve

my life will be complete
mojang has an exclusivity contract with microsoft for at least another couple of years, so i sincerely doubt this will happen (though steve has a better group of moves to choose from than wft i must admit).

Nice job sectioning one word of his post that doesn't actually mean anything and then being smug about the point you think you have. Also, imagine a Ridley that isn't twice the size of Samus. It would look weird and out of place, like it should be bigger, no matter how they scale it down.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Seriously, what's with you and smugness?

But I guess you guys are right, my anal retentive need for complete accuracy should trump my desire to play as one of my favorite villains delivering tail spikes to Pikachu while the Animal Crossing Villager buries Megaman with his shovel.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Ridley is Godzilla-like in size?

Yeah, not even close to close. Ridley is as big as Giga Bowser, it wouldn't be a huge stretch to scale him down a bit and still be the biggest PC.
alright two can play this game

i'm not going to debate on something as vague and ymmv as feeling, and honestly i think it'd be really awesome if sakurai could make Ridley work. but i definitely feel something different when I'm facing Ridley. When i'm fighting bowser, I might feel like Luke facing Darth Vader (usually more like luke facing an Ewok but i digress). When i'm fighting Ganondorf, I feel like Luke facing Darth Vader. When I'm fighting Ridley, I feel more like Luke taking down the Death Star.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
It does hurt the argument for Ridley being consistently big though when we've now shown two games where he is vastly different in size.

Actually after looking up the Ridley fights from Prime and Prime 3, Ridley still seems to be the same size. Consider that Samus is in ball form in that picture, a form where she becomes impossibly compact.

Celever
Not quite certain who you are siding with here. I'm pro big characters being in Smash Brothers.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I also gotta say I think it really dumbs down the character to act like Ridley was all about being big. Most bosses in Super Metroid were bigger than Samus, and Kraid was much bigger than Ridley. But the other bosses in Super Metroid were also much more average boss fights. Jump on Kraid's spikes to get the right shot in. Wait for Phantoon to show up and time your shots right. Cleverly exploit Draygon's weakness. Then Ridley shows up and changes the game completely. He's this unrelenting assault of fireballs, tail spikes, and aerial sweeps. He doesn't have an obvious weakness, he doesn't telegraph his movement, hell he's barely even on screen often. You have to space jump up to him. His fight is always on his terms, and when he grabs you in his claws there is no counterplay but to unload as many missiles as you can as fast as you can. The boss theme perfectly fits this fast paced fire-fight. It's really one of the most perfect boss battles in gaming history, and everything I've said would translate so awesomely to a fighting game. I can sacrifice size for all that, you get the moveset down and I will never not feel like it's proper Ridley.

But that's an old debate. What I want to know is, who's gonna tell me I shouldn't be able to play as Agahnim? Cause LttP is coming back and I think with a little creativity we could have something really cool here.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Nah man, when I was 13 I felt cheated as hell because Ridley was in the opening. I unlocked every character hoping for Ridley after seeing that.

The problem is that ridley was a boss in the last game and it was in the melee opening as a huge monster samus was fighting.
This is a great comment - while Ridley might very in size in other canon, Ridley has been shown within the Smash Bros. series to be enormous, on the same size scale as Rayquaza and final form Tabuu. So I doubt we'll see Ridley, even if he was shown in the intro of Melee (which is really just them in their respective universes, who knows? maybe fighting has some weird effect that makes some huge and some small).

In other news, I really want to see that comment about the Animal Crossing villager losing his innocence to a fighting game. Anyone have the link to that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)