Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

I'll play online with the 3DS as a controller, solely out of spite for the people shitting on their poor, misunderstood circle pads.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
I'll play online with the 3DS as a controller, solely out of spite for the people shitting on their poor, misunderstood circle pads.
As a Sheik main, that thing can die in a hole. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to extend the range on my Bouncing Fish, only to pull out a grenade. It's especially fun when I'm trying to recover with the fish >.>

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I honestly do not understand the issue with the circle pad. I get that there's no C stick for smashes, but I have yet to have an issue with the circle pad after playing the game for 30+ hours (including time with the demo version) Only thing I can think of is due to the fact I have an XL, but I can't imagine it making that big of a difference.

Same here, the only time I had an issue with pulling off the desired input was with the demo, because of tap jump and up tilts.

And I can't grasp just how hard are people flickering the poor thing in order to have it pop off, the game is not called Smash because that's what it wants you to do with your controller, you know, folks?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm a bit confused to be honest

Are you guys saying that people actually use the C-Stick to perform smash attacks in old smash games? Or do you just wish there was a C-Stick due to difficulties with the circle pad? Cause it blows my mind to think that people actually used the C-Stick.

Not sure about everyone else, but I always considered the C-stick the "noob" way to do Smash attacks (and yes I used it because I was a super noob). I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that you can actually charge the smash attacks by holding the C-stick now. Not sure how much of a difference that would make.

I'm probably just going to use my 2DS as my Wii U Smash controller anyways; I've gotten very used to the controls by now and feels far more comfortable than anything I've been able to use in a long time. That said, I haven't used a Gamecube controller in ages because my Wii is broken and I've been stuck playing Brawl with a Wiimote+Nunchuck. Having honed my skills a bit more, I'm excited to try a GC controller again. I'm also curious about how the pro controller will feel; I've heard some bad things about it from people who were able to play at those Best Buy demos but their concerns don't seem like anything I'd be worried about.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think the C-Stick does get used in tournaments because it is faster and more consistent to flick it than to flick the movement stick/pad + A. I used to think it was "noob" as well but sometimes you need to react fast and iirc it makes doing aerials, stuff out of shield easier.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
the best thing about the cstick imo isnt smashes its aerials, theyre a lot easier to pull off with the cstick. honestly smashes are 0% difficult to do with the normal input, its harder imo to do tilts and i often accidentally do smashes instead. that being said if you absolutely need 0 charging frames on your smash (some combos) thats when u cstick smash

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
There is more to the c-stick than quick smash usage. Yes, it's probably what it's mostly known for, but...

- Spacing aerials. I mained Marth in Brawl. Moving onto the 3ds, it's considerably harder to space his Fairs and Uairs without the CStick (disregarding the Fair nerf here). It's just noticeably more difficult to perform retreating Fairs and non double jump Uairs.
- DACUS. I've heard DACUS still exists in Smash 4 but it's probably just about impossible to perform it without hacking the controls.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
the best thing about the cstick imo isnt smashes its aerials, theyre a lot easier to pull off with the cstick. honestly smashes are 0% difficult to do with the normal input, its harder imo to do tilts and i often accidentally do smashes instead. that being said if you absolutely need 0 charging frames on your smash (some combos) thats when u cstick smash
See, I'm the exact opposite. I started C-stick smashing because I'd find myself trying to do a smash but doing a tilt instead. Aerials are nice too; I also really hate doing aerials without the C-stick. In fact, it's funny; I always did aerials with the C-stick, but never did smashes with the C-stick until I stopped playing Smash casually and started getting serious.

Also, Jibaku all the sources I'm finding say DACUS still exists in Smash 4, but good luck trying to do it on the 3DS...

EDIT: Here's the video (GameCube controller mod was used):

Speaking of, why is DACUS back but not L-cancel? Patch in L-cancel please

Last edited:
Well since I do VGC, no smash for me until ORAS and team are done. It should make a nice Xmas present though, hopefully some Wii U smash bundle will be announced.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'll be pretty hyped to play Smash 4 with a C-stick. Having to restrain myself because of awkward aerial spacing is really starting to annoy me, especially when it makes the difference between winning and losing a match.

Pic of the day. The Flying Men that appear in the Magicant stage will ally with the first fighter that touches them. Watch out for their flying cross-chop attacks! They also accumulate damage, and a grave gets erected every time a Flying Man falls in battle. And of course, only up to five Flying Men can appear at a time.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Pic of the day. The Flying Men that appear in the Magicant stage will ally with the first fighter that touches them. Watch out for their flying cross-chop attacks! They also accumulate damage, and a grave gets erected every time a Flying Man falls in battle. And of course, only up to five Flying Men can appear at a time.
Can I just mention how much I hate these guys? For how powerful they are, you would think that it would be harder to make them ally with you. It's basically a free and easy 2-4 kills every time you get one on your side because their knockback is that insane. I love the Magicant stage, how it looks, the cool pictures in the background of previous Earthbound / Mother games, and even those little walking trees. But oml the Flying Men are so brutal. I'm glad that they don't appear on the Omega form since that at least means I can play on the stage without having to deal with them (I do miss the walking plants / trees tho)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Can I just mention how much I hate these guys? For how powerful they are, you would think that it would be harder to make them ally with you. It's basically a free and easy 2-4 kills every time you get one on your side because their knockback is that insane. I love the Magicant stage, how it looks, the cool pictures in the background of previous Earthbound / Mother games, and even those little walking trees. But oml the Flying Men are so brutal. I'm glad that they don't appear on the Omega form since that at least means I can play on the stage without having to deal with them (I do miss the walking plants / trees tho)
Tough Mobile Sprouts appearing in that stage is pretty cool man :) Earthbound is so cookey that it deserves to have some really weird stuff appearing. Just having a Magicant stage is cool as hell anyway.

Karxrida How can you have a Giygas trophy? You cannot comprehend his form!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)