Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
<--- Still crossing my fingers for version-exclusive DLC or a free upgrade of the game for the new 3DS if you bought the original so I can get my babies.

In all seriousness though I think that, now that the launch is gone, version exclusive DLC might be a great way to sell more consoles so that people can try out both of the new characters, and it would be a good extention strategy for Nintendo to use. They are basically throwing the same-on-each-console idea out of the window with any kind of DLC anyway, so they have nothing to lose.

Unrelated: what is everyone's favorite Wii U stage? Mine is actually Big Battlefield. IDK why, I just love using characters like Pikachu, Yoshi and Peach on that stage and it is great fun and not cheap like any stage with in-built characters (like Ridley and the Yellow Devil)

edit: ive just remembered that time when my Pikachu got killed by its own Thunder on the Prism Tower stage. idk how that happened but I hit someone (without a reflector or Mother Badge before you say anything - it was against Dark Pit with items and custom turned off) with the bolt and then got thunder-launched and KO'd when it would usually electrify Pikachu when it hits him. I got so confused but it actually ended up helping me as it put me in a better position to get an aerial KO and gain the offensive momentum.

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Idk layell you're selling a lot of the franchises really short.

Mario characters that could bring uniqueness to them:
- Daisy (or athletic Peach)
- Toad
- Birdo
- Kamek
- Petey Piranha
- WALUIGI
- Shy Guy

DK
- Dixie/Tiny
- King K Rool / Kritters
- Chunky
- Lankey

Zelda
- Toon Ganondorf
- Girahim
- Gorons / king Goron
- Impa
- Skull Kid

Metroid
- won't say it

Kirby
- Magalor
- Knuckle Joe
- Galacta Knight

And then that's not even stretching into untouched franchises so far

masked/transforming/non-human link

geno

dark matter(kirby franchise for u fake fans...)

earthbound: there are 11 other playable protagonists you could easily pull and then Giegue Pokey or the Masked Man lol

i lose brain cells every time some1 says that the ice climbers should be Wii U exclusive because my friend the 3DS can't handle them : (
also the best stage is smashville. smashville is love, smashville is life.
Minwu MK and Olimar are playable to a certain degree although I think the latter is pretty shitty rn. MK is just...decent?
TRAVIS TOUCHDOWN
goku first frennn

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Tempo from HarmoKnight.

Okay the entire game is playable with two buttons pretty much but imagine a rhythm-based character

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
the problem with a lot of 'iconic' characters people say will be added into later smash games is that they're 'one-shot wonders,' if you will. Characters like Ghirahim and Petey Piranha are pretty iconic and have a lot of potential as fighting game characters in themselves, but they aren't characters whose presence is felt across the franchise like obvious choices (Mario, Kirby, etc). They're better used as Assist Trophies which are in essence fanservice anyways.

Travis touchdown and/or bayonetta would be smaller asspulls than snake was because they are/were exclusive to nintendo consoles.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
hey, that's the theme I've been noticing anyway. I do think Ghirahim could be a possibility if they keep introducing him in more games as with Hyrule Warriors? But Petey Piranha I can't see, partially because he's already so huge and making him a real character would be just too weird considering his already huge size established in both Sunshine, other Mario games, and Subspace.

To be honest I'd be super excited for a Wonderful 101 character or a HarmoKnight character, but I doubt that would ever happen.

IMario characters that could bring uniqueness to them:
- Daisy (or athletic Peach)
- Toad
- Birdo
- Kamek
- Petey Piranha
- WALUIGI
- Shy Guy
I'd rather not see generic NPCs like Toads and Shy Guys. They aren't even character, they're a species, and I don't see what they could possibly bring to the game. Frankly I think the game is already pretty saturated with Mario characters anyway.

Zelda
- Toon Ganondorf
- Girahim
- Gorons / king Goron
- Impa
- Skull Kid

Kirby
- Magalor
- Knuckle Joe
- Galacta Knight
What could Impa do they Shiek already doesn't? I'd also be wary again of generics like Gorons and also one-off characters like Girahim and Toon Ganondorf.

In any case, my potential offerings for these series would be Ganon - as in the blue pig dude with a trident - and Bandanna Waddle Dee; next year's Kirby release will be the second time he's been a playable character and he's had several other appearances. Plus we don't have any spear fighters yet.

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
What could Impa do they Shiek already doesn't? I'd also be wary again of generics like Gorons and also one-off characters like Girahim and Toon Ganondorf.
Did you play Hyrule Warriors? Impa uses giant blades there, so they could try to design a good range character with some different specials.

To be honest, that goes for all Pokémon as well, plus Yoshi. And I guess the Toad Squad (represented via alternate costumes) could do reasonably well.
Yoshi is both a species and a particular character, and it should be obvious why Pokemon are a valid exception. Not to mention the fact that most of the Pokemon in Smash are based on or at least inspired by a particular instance of that species from the anime.

Do you honestly think that Charizard and Toad are in the same league? Playing a Toad would be more akin to playing the unnamed Pokemon Centre nurses.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Then which notable Ivysaur is our Brawl one modeled after? I don't recall any notable Ivysaur in any Pokemon media.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
How do you come to that conclusion about Toad when he was one of the first /playable/ characters of the Mario series (Super Mario Bros. 2), and continues to be prominently featured in every proceeding Mario game, including returning multiple times as a playable character in not only the sports and racing games but the platformers as well?

Only 7 challenges left! After caving in and using the 5 hammers on this:

Get back your boosts from a Metroid on Smash Tour.
Destroy 500000 blocks in Trophy Rush.
Clear All-Star on Hard with all characters (screw this one!)
Collect all of the headgear.
Collect all of the special moves.

The stuff I have yet to do is:

Beat Classic at 7.0 or higher with all characters.
Beat Classic at 9.0 without customs.
Beat Classic at 9.0 in 12 minutes as Marth (I'm sure I will end up hating myself for not saving a hammer for this one).
Beat Classic at 9.0 without losing a single life.
Collect 700 unique Trophies.
Collect all CDs.
Collect 300000 Gold.

The 3DS version has given me enough practice to stomp Master Core with ease, and I have already gotten the hang of Master Fortress, so I just have the get REALLY good at it in order to do it without ever dying....and then hope for a miracle with Marth.

Then which notable Ivysaur is our Brawl one modeled after? I don't recall any notable Ivysaur in any Pokemon media.
a) Ivysaur wasn't the "character" in Brawl, but a part of Pokemon Trainer
b) I said most Pokemon are based on an anime incarnation. Greninja is another exception.
c) That entire point was an aside to a more important one: "it should be obvious why Pokemon are a valid exception". Pokemon, generic or not, are the stars of the show. They're the titular creatures and the central appeal of the franchise and obviously more qualified for a fight than any specific Pokemon character.

Which brings me to my other point against Toad: in what way are they qualified to fight in Smash Bros? What kinds of attacks could they possibly have? What, if anything, could they bring to the game at all? Their game roles range from NPC to filler character, and even as the latter they don't really do anything or have any qualities that set them apart. A character needs to bring something other than their mere existence to the table, especially if they're going to further saturate the Mario series' presence while franchises that are less (or even totally un) represented get passed over.

Captain Toad (with Toadette alt costume) or bust! He can use Pickaxes, Double Cherries, Mine Carts, Turnips and Super Gems.

For his Final Smash, Wingo shows up and an invulnerable Captain runs away from him(her?) while everybody in the way suffers.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Just going to randomly ask here:

Would you guys be interested in a records thread/post for all the SP content? 95% of us have smart phones for pic proof etc... So like longest HRC hit, best classic score, furthest cumulative distance in HRC, Fastest times for event matches and the like?

I like that idea, though it'd be cool if we could also get a ranking system for singles/doubles too. (I realise the logistics of this are basically impossible though)

I feel really left behind because I couldn't secure my own Gamecube adapter and refuse to play the Wii U version until I can get my hands on one. Gaaaahhhh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)