Super Smash Bros. Brawl Discussion Thread

At times, I find myself wishing that my family hadn't moved away from San Diego, because from what I hear, there is an immense competitive scene there. Nebraska doesn't exactly have the biggest smash scene in the country, mainly the occasional Melee tournament at the Family Fun Center in my home city of Omaha (there's one on the 20th of December which I'll be attending). Sometimes it sucks to be a Nebraskan...:P

I really, really, really hate random brawls on wifi. The last time I tried it out, a Pikachu and Game & Watch were just teaming up with Oil Panic the whole time. It sucks how the people who actually try are the ones who end up getting their asses kicked up and down the street. Even when I do brawl against one of my friends, who are rarely on, I have the suckiest internet connection in the universe, so the lag is ridiculous. Nintendo, next time could you actually make playing on wifi NOT the worst thing in the world?

Okay, I'm done troubling you all with this extended rant. Back to practicing for the Melee tourney!

I tend not to play on lagfi either. I don't like the way all the matches are four-player, and are time matches rather than stock. I usually never play with items either, so that's another problem.

The only time I play on LagFi is with a friend of mine who beats me everytime, since he's competitive.

I don't see why you would use the random feature. If you want an actual match, just use allisbrawl to find a match.

With that said I will be mainly using snake for this tourney and would like to know if anyone can give me some unorthodox or effective strategies for snake, especially pertaining to the characters I listed as the above godly guy's mains.
Remember that Falco can't CG you past 40%, and you can crawl under his lazers. Link mains find it fruitful to bomb yourself to 40% for the matchup, but you can also simply always keep a grenade near you to knock you out during a CG. Check out the Snake boards at Smashboards to learn things like grenade stripping and cooking and DACUS if you haven't.

I'm looking to get into brawl, as i'm kinda done with pokemon. I was decent with falco in melee, but I can't play with anyone (I'm not serious enough to go to tourneys or anything). I would just like to be a middle to low class competitive brawler, and I was wondering if anyone could teach me.

Thanks!

I'm a pretty decent Toon Link player. I managed to get 4th in a tournament at my school, beating some people without losing a life.

I tend not to play on lagfi either. I don't like the way all the matches are four-player, and are time matches rather than stock. I usually never play with items either, so that's another problem.
Yeah it annoys me too that the Wi-Fi matches are timed and not stock.

When I do play though I mainly use Snake, Mr. Game & Watch, and Falco. I cannot stand Meta Knight

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I just got back into this game and I've been going about beating the challenges. Today I worked on Cruel Melee and Target Smash, because beating All-Star with everyone has gotten incredibly tedious.

You mean Cruel Brawl, right? :P That challenge was such a bitch to do, I had to resort to using Kirby's Up+B on the ledge of the stage repeatedly to spike them in order to get it, and even then it took a broken GC controller or two for me to do it.

Boss Mode is a pain in the ass too, I still haven't beaten the highest level.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Cruel Brawl. I spent hours on it yesterday and got scores of: 7 with Ganondorf, 8 with Pit, 7 with Kirby, etc. until finally getting 14 with Pikachu. That was incredibly annoying.

I hate Boss Battles, so I have only played (and beat) it once. I'm not looking forward to beating that with all characters.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
I did that also, not only with JPuff but with Kirby and Pit. It works, but it's just so godawful boring and tedious. After about 2 minutes I lose concentration and get myself killed.

Hey, I just got SSBB, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me out so I can get competitive. Since I'm pretty new on this scene, any advice would be great!

Hey, I just got SSBB, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me out so I can get competitive. Since I'm pretty new on this scene, any advice would be great!
Go to Smashboards, get yourself acquainted with the knowledge there.

Practice what you learned, and criique the way you play. Look at lots of videos and see what the character experts are doing. Just keep playing lots of people.

For Cruel Brawl I just abused Z/S's transform glitch. All you have to do is jump off the edge and transform, then remove the Brawl disc from your Wii. Put it back in, and Zelda will take a long time transforming. Since she's still transforming, she won't die even though she's off the edge of the screen. Wait several seconds, and repeat. All the while, the alloys will be jumping off the edge trying to kill you, and footstooling each other into the bottomless pit.

As for Boss Battles on Intense, using Charizard is really the only way to go. Char's Rock Smash does a huge amount of damage to bosses, and Pokemon Switch gives you an easy way to dodge Tabuu's red rings. But most of all, you have to practice a whole lot to clear Boss Battles on Intense.

Oh wow, I never even knew that glitch existed. I got 10 in Cruel Brawl with Jigglypuff (possibly could have gotten more but I kind of gave up because I didn't really care about getting more than required for the sticker), but it took a lot of practice and luck to get it exactly right. There were so many times when I got to like 8 or 9 and then the stupid alloys jumped at the right time and hit me anyway. Wish I knew about that glitch beforehand to save myself a little frustration :P

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
I'm not sure how many challenges allow you to do 2 players, but that doesn't matter for me because I don't know anyone else who plays it.

I got my 10 using Ganondorf of all characters. I abused the ledge to do so, while occasionally getting back on stage to tear things up normally.

EDIT: P.S.: I am a Bowser Main.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)