Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
- New favorite set on a new mon

My favorite new set is a light screen blissey

"What does light screen blissey do? isnt it bulky enough?" Well my answer to that is that light screen can be very valuable against pokemon such as iron valiant, future port, and NP gholdengo. Something that makes stall now such a pain is for urshifu-r to come in and then everything takes so much (how bullshit). Well light screen can be easily setup on slowking or slowking-g and let something such as alomomola, or dondozo take those hits and switch out or setup on them. It is also helpful against iron valiant and specs hoopa as it can soften its hits from its CM or mixed sets and specs or mixed

Rillaboom is sort of a one-note pivot without its best moves. A lot of mons can just sponge everything it has now. I don’t see it being very good even as a dedicated terrain setter since it isn't bringing the same revenge killing/cleaning capabilities as last gen without glide and coverage.
I mean wood hammer, knock, and u-turn are infinitely more valuable than whatever pinchurchin is

I haven't personally been on the receiving end of some Dire Claw nonsense, but I fear the day that I will.
Dire claw is literally the boogeyman. Lol.

Seriously..

almost every post I read that rags on it seems like it’s just theory. Try playing sneasler, dire claw isn’t breaking games anywhere near as often as people speculated.

Not saying this may not change later.. it’s anyone’s guess. But so far after so many games, the hax just isn’t strong or powerful like we all thought.

Seriously..

almost every post I read that rags on it seems like it’s just theory. Try playing sneasler, dire claw isn’t breaking games anywhere near as often as people speculated.

Not saying this may not change later.. it’s anyone’s guess. But so far after so many games, the hax just isn’t strong or powerful like we all thought.
what do you think about unburden tho? oftentimes it feels like the main selling point of sneasler at least for me

what do you think about unburden tho? oftentimes it feels like the main selling point of sneasler at least for me
it’s potent, curious if a good gameplay can be made around it, since sneaslers best checks all have an easy time staying healthy.

there’s lots of priority on teams and anyone packing landorus/tusk without something to hit sneasler on a balloon is packing a check to u turn into as back up. The grassy terrain set has legs, hoping to see some creative teams around it!

wouldn’t be surprised if people experimented with close combat / acrobatics / Terablast and completely skipped the poison stab on that set soon.

fighting is a less powerful STAB to have, probably one of the top 3 coverage types to have, due to the prevalence of steels, the need to hit them for so many types, and the high BP move options.. but fighting is a mediocre STAB to have, due to poor neutral coverage.

Last edited:

Seriously..

I think the problem is when dire claw popping off does actually happen in game it feels insanely cheap. I just wish there was a solution rather than banning sneasler outright

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
The SV OU tiering council will have another “emergency vote” tomorrow; this is the same premise as the initial Regieleki vote last week. It will be on the most pressing Pokemon per the ongoing tiering survey. We will continue to monitor the responses and act accordingly.

There are still plans to have the normal radar and vote at the end of the week, too.

The SV OU tiering council will have another “emergency vote” tomorrow; this is the same premise as the initial Regieleki vote last week. It will be on the most pressing Pokemon per the ongoing tiering survey. We will continue to monitor the responses and act accordingly.

There are still plans to have the normal radar and vote at the end of the week, too.
CP is finally being removed from the OU tier :mad:

I feel like everyone is missing the mark with Sneasler. Dire Claw is bullshit, no question, but what makes Sneasler truly broken in my eyes is the Unburden set. I got more experience playing against it and any game with Seedler (Grassy Seed Sneasler) is super swingy one way or the other, which isn't very fun. Like it's a better Hawlucha, and Hawlucha was already difficult to deal with in simplified gamestates. Granted this is based on past gen (7 specifically) experience, but like, Hawlucha will probably rise again if Sneasler is banned because again, Seedy Unburden is extremely difficult to answer a lot of the time. Seedler doesn't even require swords dance to hit hard, it has an actual attack stat.
I think Unburden is GOOD but the crux of the problem most people have is that Dire Claw is wholly uncompetitive - Sneasler is still a good mon even ignoring its boons outside of Dire Claw, just not broken

TCTphantom

formerly MX42

First off, love the transparency y’all have had towards council actions and the speed of votes. I know people got ornery and had to get the thread locked, but I think you all are doing a great job.

My guess is it is one of Sneasler, Zamazenta Crowned, or Chien Pao. If I had to bet on which one would be hit first, I would bet on Chien Pao. It seems to be the most meta warping and dangerous of the three. Heck, its presence in the tier has people slapping Zama on teams as a panic check. I think Chien Pao is just a bit too much for the tier right now and I would be be happy to see it go. Also, can people please for the love of god abbreviate Chien Pao to just Pao? The other abbreviation is not it.

As for the other two, I think both are Quickban candidates down the line. Zamazenta Crowned I think is partially feeding off Pao’s meta, where it is punishing HO which Pao heavily supports. I’d love to get data on it in a post Pao OU, but I still think all things considered Crowned is a bit much for the tier.

Sneasler is stupid and dumb and dire claw hax is incredibly unhealthy for the tier. If banning Dire Claw is 100% off the table then ban it, it just brings way too much luck into games. It also doesn’t help Dire Claw would still be a very solid physical poison move without the hax so the Sneasler user isn’t giving up much to run it.

I am adamant Zamazenta Hero is fine, at least for now. It’s a lot easier to wear down than Crowned is. That lack of a steel type makes its Body Press sets have a much much harder time setting up. It makes it so much easier for offensive teams to pressure it with things like Future Sight Glowking or what have you. Its banded sets while scary aren’t breaking worlds and are super prediction reliant. I think it’s also way too soon to judge it given how much Crowned is overshadowing it. Quickbanning it now would be a huge mistake imo.

Ursaluna is dumb and kind of like Melmetal last Gen but I’m kind of fine with that? It’s a big dumb wall breaker that trades well, I think that’s kind of ok. I’m plenty of Pokémon are hard to switch into and Luna is no different. Trick room is also much easier to manage without Mag in the tier.

Urshifu RS is fine right now, I could see it being dumb later but there just isn’t as much evidence since it’s not as obviously broken or a shiny new toy. Let the bear chill, we have bigger fish to fry.

Finally for the survey Light Clay I could see as an issue but rn it’s just preying on the meta as a whole. The meta is very HO friendly since it’s relatively easy to build and pilot. Screens are naturally going to do a decent job in the HO mirror.

TLDR on my survey thoughts: get Pao out of here, deal with Zama C and Sneasler next. Everything else is fine.

Per Finch's word that the emergency vote is for the most pressing Pokemon based on the survey, this vote is DEFINITELY for Chien-Pao (not sure if singular or Plural for "Pokemon" means the Zamas are also voted, but Pao is DEFINITELY in the vote).

Sneasler is not getting nearly the level of support for quick action (surveys for it are polarized and hovering around 3's with 2's and 5's balancing out because of different takes on Dire Claw), so I doubt they're jumping on it regardless of what the verdict would be compared to the stuff everyone is calling for the heads of by comparison. Meanwhile Big Bear seems to be settling down ala Walking Wake and Kung-Fu Bear I'm wary of but hasn't made a splash yet.

tl;dr I expect this vote to be Cat, maybe Dog(s) as well.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

“tell us you’re banning chien pao without telling us you’re banning chien pao”

Chien Pao and Zamazenta-Crowned emergency vote incoming, since both were nearly banned and seem to be the ones everyone unanimously want gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)