Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't understand why Mag is considered broken. From what I've seen, people have trouble with it, yes, but I don't think it is broken. With the pressence of 3 almost necessary Ground types (Lando, Tusk, and Ursaluna) and plenty of fire types (Heatran, Volcarona, Iron Moth) i don't think it's that hard to check. I've run into both doubledance stored power and Trick Room and it always underperforms severely.

Now ZamaC... That's a whole other story

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I personally feel like Light Clay isn't an issue so much that it further exacerbates elements that are already problematic. It's similar to how Revival Blessing was only stupid when a bunch of broken bullshit to revive was legal at the beginning of the generation and the move fell off after things settled down. And Shed Tail didn't need dedicated screens support to be dumb.

I don't think a Light Clay ban would accomplish much.

Last edited:
Here is the last one.
What are you even saying, dude?

The top threat right now is obviously Mr. Rime :mr-rime:. With access to the godlike ability Tangled Feet, and unlimited coverage such as double kick, giga impact, icy wind, payback, stomping tantrum, and snore just to name a few, which are complimented perfectly with the ice-psychic typing, which only has six weaknesses, which Mr. Rime’s two resistances to its own types easily make up for. Mr Rime is the real threat.

If you still don’t believe me, check out it’s daunting idle animation. You seriously shouldn’t fuck with this guy.
Like this post to bring Mr. Rime to the council’s attention and only then will we be safe.
https://images.wikidexcdn.net/mwuploads/wikidex/6/61/latest/20191201185840/Mr._Rime_EpEc.gif

stored power is a really dumb move, but i think it's hard to justify a ban when it's only really broken 2 mons while having enormous distribution. if there was like, 2 or 3 more uber worthy abusers of it i'd say it's worth suspecting but atm it seems like a magearna ban is much more reasonable.
Stored Power isn't just an OU thing or even unique to this generation, it's pushed some mons to an absurd extent that they normally wouldn't reach even in lower tiers too. Magearna and Polteageist and have already been mentioned, but things like Armarouge, Farigiraf, any "demon" set from things like Mew, Clefable, Jirachi, Bronzong, Reuniclus, Z-move Victini in gen 7, etc. have all been elevated by this single move. A lot of the "demon" sets from SS and past arguably wouldn't exist if not for this move. Stored Power is an inherently broken move. There wouldn't be much of an outcry for Magearna if not for this move and it's sole existence is what's pushing people to run these Iron Defense/Shift Gear sets on it. I think most would agree that non-Stored Power sets have reasonable counterplay within OU and if SP were banned, Magearna would still be a top tier mon but perhaps balanced; some may still want a suspect for it.

On another note, I think both Zama forms will settle just fine once the meta calms down and people start building real teams. I haven't use Crowned personally so i can't say much aside from having faced it, but i think Zama-h is a true S rank of this meta. Chien-Pao i haven't found to be too overbearing and would rather see it suspected than QB, but if it does get QB, it should definitely be suspended later on especially if the Zamas and Magearna stick around.

Is anyone still having problems with Ursaluna? I feel like usage has dropped off the face of the earth, and what I do see is actually somewhat manageable.

I still don't understand why Mag is considered broken. From what I've seen, people have trouble with it, yes, but I don't think it is broken. With the pressence of 3 almost necessary Ground types (Lando, Tusk, and Ursaluna) and plenty of fire types (Heatran, Volcarona, Iron Moth) i don't think it's that hard to check. I've run into both doubledance stored power and Trick Room and it always underperforms severely.

Even if those are on almost every team, they don't like to switch into it, specs fleur cannon, focus blast, tera blast (this one is really bad for mag, but I have to mention it) or even volt-switch are stuff they might want to avoid, sometimes just trying to scout its set might end on losing a mon. For now stored power is what most people is complaing about, but Mag's godly movepool with all its other traits can be difficult to check, since it can beat all its checks with the right set, not at the same time, that is true, but not mon should be allowed to have that much options.

Scarfire

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Is it possible that dire claw will get the boot instead of sneasler? I understand the whole thing with how if a move breaks a single pokemon, ban the pokemon, but I feel like dire claw could go because it isn't quite breaking sneasler, but is generally uncompetitive and luck-based. Just a thought, prob not true tho idk
No, not possible. As per usual, you can only move ban if there is multiple / majority examples of it being broken. Sneasler is the one and only, so rhe move wont go, sneasler does.

Even if those are on almost every team, they don't like to switch into it, specs fleur cannon, focus blast, tera blast (this one is really bad for mag, but I have to mention it) or even volt-switch are stuff they might want to avoid, sometimes just trying to scout its set might end on losing a mon. For now stored power is what most people is complaing about, but Mag's godly movepool with all its other traits can be difficult to check, since it can beat all its checks with the right set, not at the same time, that is true, but not mon should be allowed to have that much options.

Oh I see, it's not a single thing that's broken. It's a lot of things that are really good and its versatility is what's considered broken.

Is anyone still having problems with Ursaluna? I feel like usage has dropped off the face of the earth, and what I do see is actually somewhat manageable.
I've seen it less than the first day but it's still quite common still just as destructive as the first day. I've seen more Magearna and Zamas tho.

the amount of times eq/fire move behind screens has led to WP activated and sweeping is too numerous to count. these mons are a damn near set-up opportunity.

TCTphantom

formerly MX42

Magearna on its own makes fat teams super bad. Trick Specs is an insane wall breaker that can beat its counters with trick. OTR supports other trick room users and gives them more agency into wallbreaking vs stall. Shift gear Magearna is a crushing sweeper that forces fat teams to keep Skeledirge healthy to even attempt to check it, and even then stored power boosts can help you muscle through. And all of this is compounded with Screens offense, which makes Mag close to impossible to kill.

Magearna is the disease that shaped this meta. Everything else is a symptom. Zama C or Chien Pao are dumb mons sure, but they would be drops in the bucket if the meta was able to actually handle them defensively. It’s not. Fat teams would handle Zama C fairly well and make it just a dumb MU fish for HO. Pao loses a strong check but now the meta is no longer forced to be HO and can actually attempt to handle it. Magearna is broken on it’s own and makes the rest of the tier into an HO slugfest.

Mb, just had a lot on my mind That I realized later on
Just edit your first post and call it a day

Another topic to talk about, I think switcheroo band sneasler is a massive one trick pony against tox as both of it's sets lefties/black sludge or AV are mostly useless if switcheroo'ed with band since tox is a special attacker for av, and mostly status moves for normal pex

EDIT: I just woke up and made that so I missed a few words lol

Last edited:
No, not possible. As per usual, you can only move ban if there is multiple / majority examples of it being broken. Sneasler is the one and only, so rhe move wont go, sneasler does.
Yes, but I don't think the move is broken, more as it's uncompetitive and luck based. It seems kind of like kings rock, in that its abuser can try to use it to simply had through would-be walls. The kings rock ban is the main reason I'm saying this, since it was only really used by cloyster yet was still banned. I guess it just depends on whether or not you think its more broken that luck-reliant.

Last edited:
What are you even saying, dude?

The top threat right now is obviously Mr. Rime :mr-rime:. With access to the godlike ability Tangled Feet, and unlimited coverage such as double kick, giga impact, icy wind, payback, stomping tantrum, and snore just to name a few, which are complimented perfectly with the ice-psychic typing, which only has six weaknesses, which Mr. Rime’s two resistances to its own types easily make up for. Mr Rime is the real threat.

If you still don’t believe me, check out it’s daunting idle animation. You seriously shouldn’t fuck with this guy.
Like this post to bring Mr. Rime to the council’s attention and only then will we be safe.
https://images.wikidexcdn.net/mwuploads/wikidex/6/61/latest/20191201185840/Mr._Rime_EpEc.gif
but thankfully it didn't survive dexit

View attachment 521901
Zoroark-H finally dropped down to UU. Sad to see since it one of the best Pokémon designs ever. I still see it viable in OU though.

Also Pelipper being OU now is well-deserved. Especially with all the rain spam and new rain abusers.:woop::tyke::boi:
The big bird is back and its here(probably) to stay. I'm glad pelipper is back, since it think even peephole rain was hugely slept on, and now it gets several new abusers.

Yes, but I don't think the move is broken, more as it's uncompetitive and luck based. It seems kind of like kings rock, in that its abuser can try to use it to simply had through would-be walls. The kings rock ban is the main reason I'm saying this, since it was only really used by cloyster yet was still banned. I guess it just depends on whether or not you think its more broken that luck-reliant.
good points.

I’m all for banning specific moves, it’s okay. Really. Even if it’s a signature move. People don’t get confused by the “complexity”.

if a move, ability or item is “uncompetitive” then it can be treated on the basis of itself, regardless of whether it’s exclusive to one Pokémon or not.

this sounds very fair, rather than the way it was done in the past.

the argument will become “rage fist and last respects dont have RNG, so it’s different when it’s on a 400 BST Mon”

but then you have direclaw, kings rock, etc. which people argue are inherently uncompetitive with or without the base power taken into consideration.

baton pass and shed tail are different , apparently they’re “overpowered on enough Pokémon” to justify deleting the move from OU. A bit different .. but how do you definite overpowered enough.. pursuit had prevented ghost and psychic types from doing well in OU for years. Would you ban it in hindsight?

what’s wrong with just gauging the communities opinion on moves rather than on Pokémon, In circumstances where those are the deemed problem. If 70% of people would rather ban rage fist than the ape, or fire claw rather than sneasler, or kings rock rather than cloyster. Is it so bad?

edit: simply defining “uncompetitive” to need some condition of RNG should do the trick:

- 300 BP moves like last respects do not have RNG, so are not “uncompetitive”

- Kings rock (41% flinch on cloyster) /dire claw (16% sleep on sneasler) have RNG, and are this “uncompetitive” despite viable or non viable pokemon abusing them

in the circumstance where fire claw is deemed uncompetitive, the question then becomes: “is sneasler over the edge due to the uncompetitiveness” and then the move can be banned going forward, even if a 400 BST shitmon gets it. as opposed to last respects / rage fist, which have only the aspect of BP to consider.

This happened with kings rock, due to cloyster. Cloyster created the conditions that broke kings rock, and now precedent has established an ongoing ban for kings rock.

direclaw could be exactly the same, even if it is [currently] an exclusive move, if it took a sneasler to break it, but otherwise sneasler is fine, you can now precedent it, so even if a parasect for example got it later, it can’t use it.

is everyone about to use the slippery slope argument now, for moves like discharge, scald, etc?

Last edited:
The last Pokemon on the Radar is clearly Volcarona, not Urshifu-Rapid Strike. I am personally okay with Volcarona being on the radar, but I would ban Light Clay before banning Volcarona as the main reason it's broken is because of Screens Support and Tera. If Tera was banned, Volcarona wouldn't even remotely be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)