Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain to me how spore works on Garganacl? Shouldnt it be immune to all status moves?
Was it Toedscruel? It’s ability ignores Gargancl’s.

Ah yes, competitive Pokemon, famously known for being a life or death situation with high stakes that can't be gone back on.
You know we play for fingers around here.

Speaking of Hatterene, I experimented a bit with Trickroom Teams, and while they suffer a bit from the multitude of prio moves being spammed on the ladder right now (ban Palafin), I still got some success.

1. What do you think are the best Trickroom setters right now?
2. Which mons could thrive with TR support?
Surprise surprise. Trick Room is pretty good in an HO heavy meta, especially one lacking in multi hit moves. All those fast broken threats? They can’t stop Trick Room.

1. Lead Sash Hatterene. Screws hazard stack and Taunt leads. Duo STABs are potent against everything but special walls and Steels. Healing Wish gets in a breaker for free, grabs momentum and heals if used mid game. Good Tera types include Normal (surprise ghost immunity) or Fire (surprise Grass and Ice resist for multi hit moves like Bullet Seed from Breloom or Icicle Spear from Cloyster.

Red Card Mimikyu. My favorite setter back from the pre-Melmetal days can do work in OU again. Also cannot be one shot because of Disguise except by multi-hit moves or Mold Breaker (both are rare). Therefore Trick Room is all but assured mid game, except for Taunt. Red Card forces out set up sweepers and cowardly shit hidding behind Substitute. Finally, good duo STABs a perfect for smacking offense, and Ghost type Curse for defensive mons, momentum and chip. Your Tera is best saved for another Mon, but in a pinch Tera Fairy Play Roughs can do some good damage.

Sash / Light Clay / Mental Herb Klefki. This guy got TR this Gen! How cool. Can set TR and go for momentum with Steel Beam. Can throw up priority screens, or Spikes. Foul Play. Just do whatever you want with it. Defensive Tera Dragon is good to resist Fire and Water and lose your Ground weakness.

2. Specs Eruption Torkoal, Flame Orb Hariyama, Bulky Loaded Dice Technician Breloom w/ Spore, Booster Energy Iron Hands, Specs / LO Sylveon, and Kingsgambit all love Trick Room.

Last edited:
his special bulk is mediocre at
110/90 is above average special bulk. What.

Anyways, incredibly happy with the Palafin and Iron Bundle bans. Two mons with way too much of a presence and were difficult to manage. There is still plenty of strong threats but hopefully we'll see it less crazy.

That said, one mon I think will shoot up is Chien-Pao. A mon acknowledged as strong but has been kind of overshadowed in the early wave of crazy power, especially with mons acting as offensive checks like Bundle. Pao actually good movepool and i think now os the time it could be explored more. I definitely expect this to see more experimentation, assuming ladder doesn't pull a SwSh and not use the blatantly good pokemon.

With the bans of the offensive waters i also think we will see more Ting-Lu, or at least I hope so. It's such a sturdy pokemom that isn't passive at all, and has nice role compression. Not to mention how it can blanket check so much stuff.

A specially defensive Calm Mind Tera Rock Vaporeon with Tera Blast can acutally handle Iron Bundle.

0 SpA Vaporeon STAB Rock Tera Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Iron Bundle: 284-336 (111.8 - 132.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I ran tera fire vaporeon with hdb just so i have a reliable switchin into funny basket ball penguin, im so glad its gone

Altho vaporeon is still not too bad of a choice for a wishpasser with tera but thats a whole other post for another time. For now though i think the only "viable" eevees for OU is just Sylveon and sun fire tera Leafeon (which is extremely underrated, i want to cover it some day)

honestly this is probably a boomer take, but i feel like we need to either ban the mechanic as a whole or do nothing at all. showing the type at team preview is not how the mechanic works and is NOT loyal to in game mechanics; were better off by banning the mechanic at that point. and before people cry out "well play on cartridge if u want", this is literally a pokemon simulator that tries its best to simulate in-game online battling, and yes, we might have shit like sleep clause, but none of that compares to this at all. doing this is like saying in gen 8 that dynamaxing will only last 1 turn. it just feels like were making our own game/rules idk.
The Preview type has been addressed already as no different than the Gentleman's agreement you're already playing under by agreeing with another player to use Smogon rules instead of the Cart's (lack of) ban rules.

It's just a gentleman's agreement, it's a thing in a lot of competitive games.

People in Melee on Sheik ditto would for example sometimes gentleman no chain grabbing.

Even when you enter tournaments, you do usually fill up a sheet with your team, it's no different and it doesn't have to 100% emulate what only happens on console, it isn't the first time Smogon specifically has tempered with game mechanics anyway.

Sleep Clause could be taken as a gentleman's agreement that is forced out on the simulator for example.

Edit: Here have a vid on how they tampered with Gen 3 switches

Last edited:
I haven't seen any Toedscruel anywhere yet. How is it compared to classic Tentacruel?
Toedscool is one of the funniest little guys they introduced. Every time I see it, I hear Squidward's foot steps sfx.
Slightly worse defensive typing, a wack ass ability, it's probably worse.

It does get both forms of spikes though, so that's neat.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
I haven't seen any Toedscruel anywhere yet. How is it compared to classic Tentacruel?
Toedscool is one of the funniest little guys they introduced. Every time I see it, I hear Squidward's foot steps sfx.
Grass/Ground is kind of an awful defensive typing and its base 100 Speed isn’t very meaningful because it’s geared towards utility and all of its status moves have negative priority. If it got Defog, it’d have a real niche as the only mon that can remove hazards in Gholdengo’s presence (besides Maushold, whose viability lies somewhere between “lol” and “lmao”). As it is now, its only real purpose is putting Gholdengo and Garganacl to sleep.

Slightly worse defensive typing, a wack ass ability, it's probably worse.

It does get both forms of spikes though, so that's neat.
Grass/Ground is kind of an awful defensive typing and its base 100 Speed isn’t very meaningful because it’s geared towards utility and all of its status moves have negative priority. If it got Defog, it’d have a real niche as the only mon that can remove hazards in Gholdengo’s presence (besides Maushold, whose viability lies somewhere between “lol” and “lmao”). As it is now, its only real purpose is putting Gholdengo and Garganacl to sleep.
That's sad, its ability seems pretty neat. Funny how regular Tentacruel would deal with Gholdengo better than Toedscruel.

If I did use a tera-normal dragonite, would it be worth using LO since by the time I can pop off any attacks im already below max health? Or should I go boots in case my hazard remover didnt work as well as i wanted it to?
Either way, I think ESpeed, Ice Spinner, and EQ are the best 3 attacking moves since e speed hits hard as fuck, ice spinner will take care of the main threat in great tusk, and eq deals well with any steel or ghost tera Pokemon that might want to stop the espeeds
I would say boots are fairly mandatory, unless you're super dilligent about preventing rocks going up/clearing them. The ability to guarantee taking 1-2 hits due to multiscale is what makes ddnite so threatening. And clearing them is an uphill battle right now due to all the gholdengo running around.

Bundle is not even some unstoppable broken force that just wins. Choice bundles are bad because locking into a bad move gives u free setup. Boots bundle just mitigates its ability and at that point its pretty easy to deal with if u playing offense. If u play a fat team and have no way to punish bundle then thats a team building diff
Bro bulky teams were the only teams that could beat bundle. Nothing on offence could remotely take it stabs more than once, and everything other than Dragapult was outsped, so if it came in on almost anything on offence it was getting a kill, and probably ending the game if you didn't have a Dragapult. That's why it was fucked up.

I haven't posted on Smogon in years. Typically I'm anti ban on most things since I like a little bit of broken sh!t. But the MonkE...that guys gotta go. It's broken with Tera. It makes games so stressful and difficult to play around him if you're not running 3 burn/toxic mons. Hitting the guy for him just to take 20 because he Teras into a poison, steel, or water type is so stupid. In my opinion it is just as, if not more, restricting as Palafin and Flutterman were. Monkes gotta go...

been using it a bit as hypothetically compresses a spiker, spinner, and electric immunity into a single slot but it's a funky mon. Does get access to knock+ground stab as well, so can make progress access gholdengo as a spinner / alternatively can spore it thanks to the ability. But in a koko-less meta with a pair of other excellent ground spinners and multitude of spikers, it's hard to fit and feels like dead weight a lot.

While I agree it was funny seeing little robot-santa-mon one-shotting everything bar Blissey, I don't think I'll ever reminisce it's time in OU, it was too restrictive and it's best sets weren't even the choiced ones. I don't think this discussion has any place in this thread anymore.

On another note, I think ghouldengo is a superbly useful mon with a considerable presence, but my gut feeling says it should not be banned, I think with the meta shift cause by the latest bans will cause some shake-ups that may put it in a less-than-favorable position

been using it a bit as hypothetically compresses a spiker, spinner, and electric immunity into a single slot but it's a funky mon. Does get access to knock+ground stab as well, so can make progress access gholdengo as a spinner / alternatively can spore it thanks to the ability. But in a koko-less meta with a pair of other excellent ground spinners and multitude of spikers, it's hard to fit and feels like dead weight a lot.
The electric immunity is less of an upside in a meta where basically few good Electric types exist. Those Electric types that are available have 4x SE coverage moves (e.g. Ice Punch). Its weaknesses (Bug, Fire, Flying, Ice) are all extremely common in this metagame, and its resistances really offer nothing that other Ground Pokemon don't already provide.

Ok so I wrote about it earlier today, and then played with it all day and I was absolutely correct.

:dondozo: Dondozo @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Chilling Water
- Avalanche
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This thing just full-stops everything. Any physical attacker is actually worthless against this thing. You might think SleepTalk is too risky, but when not a single physical attacker can 2HKO you theres really no risk. This thing is an absolute monster that eats dragons and grounds alive. Avalanche does just enough damage to beat any dragon that crosses you.

Tera Fairy allows you to surprise electric attackers trying to go for a revenge kill with a neutral hit, and instead do hefty damage to them while also keeping yourself able to check things like the Donphan Paradoxes, Physical Valiant, and Chien-Pao. When paired with a good SpDef wall like Blissey, it just sits there and slowly wears down any physical attackers that cross your path.

Leftovers is good for avoiding some 3HKOs, but Heavy-Duty Boots might be better in this spike stack heavy meta.

Ok so I wrote about it earlier today, and then played with it all day and I was absolutely correct.

:dondozo: Dondozo @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Chilling Water
- Avalanche
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This thing just full-stops everything. Any physical attacker is actually worthless against this thing. You might think SleepTalk is too risky, but when not a single physical attacker can 2HKO you theres really no risk. This thing is an absolute monster that eats dragons and grounds alive. Avalanche does just enough damage to beat any dragon that crosses you.

Tera Fairy allows you to surprise electric attackers trying to go for a revenge kill with a neutral hit, and instead do hefty damage to them while also keeping yourself able to check things like the Donphan Paradoxes, Physical Valiant, and Chien-Pao. When paired with a good SpDef wall like Blissey, it just sits there and slowly wears down any physical attackers that cross your path.

Leftovers is good for avoiding some 3HKOs, but Heavy-Duty Boots might be better in this spike stack heavy meta.
Not that dondozo isn't great, it is, but why are you running chilling water on an unaware mon. No physical attacker is breaking dondozo, so you're not really looking to switch out, so it seems pretty bad. I was finding sleep talk wasn't actually needed, when I was using it, so I was running waterfall, body press, curse rest with lefties. That was in the prior meta though so possible boots are better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)