Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna say defensive teams got better. But with chien still around it’s hard to say for sure.

I think ape and cyc should of been tested but whatever, it’s fine especially with Tera staying for awhile.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The big thing I want to see now is if Orthworm usage suddenly picks up. I think if that starts happening, then we can start talking about a shed tail ban so Cyc can start doing other things in lower tiers.
Cope LMAOOOO

That being said, thank the gods! Chi Yu and Annihilape are stall and Balance's biggest road blocks ATM, so these two getting the boot will revolutionize how useful these builds will be in Gen 9. And before losers start crying that it's Gen 8 all over again, even if Balance is good now, it's structured so differently from Gen 9 now crying that it's Gen 8 again will be a stupid remark. I think Espa will be much more easy to play around now that free Shed Tail isn't a play, as is looming Radar threat Dragonite. Very excited for Gen 9 OU right now, feels really playable.

So with cyc and chi yu gone it’s time for grimmsnarl to take his place as one of the 5-7 best Pokémon in the Tier

priority, parting shot is huge and while it’s not the free turn generator shed tail was it comes pretty close on mon with almost as much utility cyc.

Kingambit and slowking are also huge winners here

Chien Poo
Aka Dog Shite if you go for the cognate with French.

In seriousness, as strong as Band is, it's HDB SD sets that start to push Pao over the edge for me. It's so strong that it threatens KOs and forces switches early in the game, which opens up SD opportunities, and after an SD, all of your attacks are as strong as STAB Tera (2.0 STAB * 1.5 Atk vs 1.5 STAB * 2.0 Atk) without being locked, with the option to Tera to boost things more or to juke SE hits (Tera Poison is my preference). With its speed and access to Priority, that can be game over if hazards are up.

+2 252 Atk Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Sucker Punch vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 288-340 (84.7 - 100%

Add in the tension between Ice Shard and Sucker Punch and the potential for Sucker Punch mind games to create the opportunities to get to +4 and then...we'll, it's not good. And that's before getting to the possibility of going all in with LO.

Sword Cat is goooood. Not quite sure if it's too good, but it's definitely suspect worthy.

Reactions: YNM

BlackKnight_Gawain

PUPL Champion
Unsurprising which 3 got the bans, but I wonder what the first suspect will be? Chien-Pao is just about controversial enough to warrant attention, maybe Gholdengo now that the bigger offenders are gone and people will probably direct their anger fully towards it?

Either way, another mon I think might see some good usage/improvement:

:sv/iron moth:

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Agility/Flame Charge
- Fiery Dance/Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Discharge/Energy Ball/Tera Blast
- Sludge Wave/Toxic Spikes

Fun little set to try out, a bit more HP investment to let it get up, with booster as item of choice for boosting SpA over Speed. Flying lets you potentially setup on Tusk/Chomp/average EQ user, while the last slot you can also potentially use as a lead bait to throw out T Spikes since Sludge Wave isn't as needed in this meta with the overall lack of fairies. Probably could also just slot in another coverage move that you didn't on slot 3 anyway, but I figured this set might work a little in the absence of Chi-Yu for another special wallbreaker that readily slots into sun teams.

Another fun set I personally use on my own sun team:

:iron moth: Iron Moth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Quark Drive
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 76 SpA / 180 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Wave
- Energy Ball
- U-turn

This kinda really relies on sun to boost Fiery Dance, while also hoping for Fiery Dance to proc, but AV is a really useful way to sit in on Gholdengo and a few other special spammers after tera-ing to deal with sun's checks like Dozo or Garg whie also having a quick pivot opton in U-Tun. If anyone knows how to EV this for a non-sun team, I can see this set getting some traction with a few tweaks.

The big thing I want to see now is if Orthworm usage suddenly picks up. I think if that starts happening, then we can start talking about a shed tail ban so Cyc can start doing other things in lower tiers.
Its obviously gonna rise, not sure if enough to reach OU, but it might be.

Last edited:
Unsurprising which 3 got the bans, but I wonder what the first suspect will be? Chien-Pao is just about controversial enough to warrant attention, maybe Gholdengo now that the bigger offenders are gone and people will probably direct their anger fully towards it?
Gholdengo seems like one where, once the pressure is off a bit, people can start actually countering it. It may or may not be broken, but I'd rather leave it a month or two and see if once Chien-Pao etc are gone Stall is more able to chip it down.

Other than that, the meta's going to be interesting. There's a lot of breathing room that just opened up. I definitely think there's bans still to come, but Cyclizar specifically going away means all I'm sure of is that anyone who knows what the meta will look like in a week is wrong.

Chienpao just got a lot better, I wonder if it'll become overwhelming? No longer gets scared off by chi yu and drain punch. Was decent at handling espathra but even then gleam was scary and a good espathra was able to set up faster than you could kill sometimes
I still think dondozo can do a lot to wall out chien, but I was playing yawn/protect at lower ranks lol. Set did get better with no shed tail tho

I still think dondozo can do a lot to wall out chien, but I was playing yawn/protect at lower ranks lol. Set did get better with no shed tail tho
I feel like Chien is more contained than chi-yu regardless of the sets. Not to mention that you have Bulkarona still around, it can fish for burns or burn it potentially. Also, with skeledirge also rising in usage and to burn chien is another out but prob have to Tera type to avoid getting crunched. Chien seems fine for now but I don’t see it banworthy unless someone breaks it starting now.

I am going to miss chi-yu, not because I think it was balanced but because it can be OHKO by breloom and the less pokemon that be killed by it the harder it will be to justify using it in my team.
as for anihilape and cyclizar.....I rarely used cyclizar so I will not miss it in the slightest,also there were times where its shed tail gave me trouble, so I guess I am slightly happy it got banned(too bad that it was an other pokemon that can be killed by brelloom).
as for annihilape,I am going to miss it a little,not much,just a little.
I never saw it as "broken", I used it ocasionally.
let's hope that some day gamefreak will make a fighting-ghost type that will be just balanced enough for OU.
I wonder if it will be brought back when hisuian zoroark gets released since it is immune to both of its stab attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)