Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
by "pressure"?
if you are talking about the ability then it is not affected at all by pressure.
he is talking about ability and yes, it gets affected

in one of them I explained how 90% of damage on amoonguss isn't as much of a deal as it would be in any other wall because if it puts you to sleep it can go to 93-100% on two turns later depeding on if it holds a healing item.
Here is the thing, just don't let the amongus counter fall asleep, sure it sounds unfair that you're basically losing a mon to it, but unless amongus has Sythesis (which are rare because It's strapped for moves) then sure, you will get a 1000000000000000 turn game, but just keep pressure up, knock off, wow, rocks, constant damage, sure, this might don't sound like a lot alone, but together at the same time puts pressure into it

Thank you yNot Mence I'm glad you see where I'm coming from! I am happy, but hopefully in the coming weeks we can get enough traction for a suspect test if the rest of the community feels the same.
Would you be so kind to suggest a song for the suspect test, since you're now the official "banganacl" club president

baxcalibur has a chance for OHKO but it is not 100%. I guess he is okay counter.
If bax isn't a perfect answer for you, then I don't know what to say, because in that case, nothing is is. btw, it does OHKO every time even with jolly with CB:

252 Atk Choice Band Baxcalibur Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss: 444-524 (102.7 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

amoongus is a very passive pokemon so you can get lots of momentum from it and then slowly break through with knock and hazard support

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
garganacl does not bother me at all.
its typying is trash defensively(the resistances that actually comes in handy are ghost and fire), and its special defence isn't that great, almost every special attacker can deal with it with 2-3 hits.
even gholdengo can get a 2HKO, if you can bring it in safely it will not even need to carry the covert cloack.

also garganacl is going to have either a suspect test or a quickban sooner or later so it is pointless asking for a ban that is probably going to happen any way.

specs peliper? magnezone?these are your examples for perfectly functional pokemon in OU?
why?
peliper is almost useless outside of rain teams, and magnezone is almost useless in pretty much all teams.
even galade functions better in OU that magnezone.
at least gallade can get a OHKO on some walls, including amoonguss.

what are hazards going to do to a pokemon with regenerator which is neutral stealth rock and absorbs toxic spikes?(for some reason when I brought up stealth rock on the debate about chien pao not being so good, people acted as if it was not a good argument, is there a reason why this is not the case here? at least chien pao is weak to stealth rock).

knock off doesn't kill it.

you want to sacrifice a teamate by intentionally making it fall asleep, and you are calling that a reliable strategy?
I wonder why didn't people considered that when banning chien pao.

weavile isn't even good enough to survive in UU,it dropped all the way down to RU, I doubt if it is going to be functional in OU.
its best ice type move isn't a OHKO.
if it falls asleep good luck waking it up.
its best dark stab move is night slash, so I don't think that it is going to see much play in OU now that it lost knock off.

baxcalibur has a chance for OHKO but it is not 100%. I guess he is okay counter. it may need some hazard support.

okay,gholdengo is an actual counter, I have already admited it in previous comment.

sub-wisp pult sounds pretty gimmicky.
are you sure that this tactic is realible and will not put its user in more trouble than it saves him?
what even is the EV distribution for this set?
I want to run the numbers.
We don’t diss Specs Peli around here. Its legit good. Does a shitton of damage even to resists with Hurricane + Rain Boosted Water STAB. Having actual switch in opportunities from the omnipresent Tusks, Skele, and Ting. Also 1v1s Volc with Specs Hurricane or Surf.

I talked more about Zone, but TL;DR, Zone can trap and/or kill Gambit (especially with Tera Fighting) for the plethora of mons that its tasked to check. Even outside of trapping the only two relevant steels that it traps, its offensive typing and scary 130 SpA hits 90% of the defensive metagame, most notably avoiding the Tera 50/50s that Ghold has to deal with vs Tera Water/Fairy Dirge, Garg, Hatt, etc. Hitting Dozo hard is also notable since Ghold can lose the 1v1 if it doesn’t get lucky with SpD drops. If you don’t give a shit about trapping shit, just run Analytic and nuke shit. Does 30-40 to Ting and 50 to Clod, forcing it to EQ or Toxic.

You’re comparing apples to oranges with Amoon and Pao. One is a defensive pivot while the other was a fast breaker. Hazards means Amoonguss is recovering less from Regenerator. Add to the damage it takes from other chip like pivoting into Valiant, U-Turn, Knock, Status, and Washtom, you can bring it down to a point where your mons can take it out. Amoonguss doesn’t one shot/2HKO your team everytime it comes in.

Knock removes vital items like Helmet, Sludge, Boots, Cloak. Considering it sometimes switches into Meow and Tusk, this is a realistic possibility in a game. This means it is even more vulnerable to getting worn down.

Usage =/= Viability. We’ve seen this with shit like Gastro, Ditto, and Cofa who perform better in OU than most of the lower tiers. Weavile is budget Pao who instead of being a breaker, it is a cleaner. It still threatens faster shit with Shard and outspeeds the likes of Meow, Cinder, and Moon.

What you are referring to sacrificing is called sacking, and you do this when you have a mon you don’t need in a game. This has been one of the ways people have dealt with Spore since Gen 4 (I’d argue even in Gen 3 despite Loom being less common). The only time it has ever been a problem is in Gen 5 where sleep mechanics were unforgiving.

Sub-Hex Pult is a legit set that exploits Garg and takes advantage of its ability to force switches.

Also Synthesis is rarely ever used, if not at all.

Again, as people mentioned, you don’t have to put a fire-type on your team. The fire types in the tier are all great besides checking Amoonguss. Every good team had to have a ground type in gen 8 and even now. However it was never a problem because the ones we have are amazing staples, including Lando.

There has never been a world where Amoonguss has been broken besides Gen 5 but that was mostly because Sleep was broken that gen. From Gen 6 to Gen 9, there has never been a problem with dealing with Amoonguss, especially now since Ghold is the most common mon in the tier only behind Tusks. No one in high ladder or who regularly play tournaments agrees with you. If you are legit having problems with Amoonguss of all things, I don’t know what to say other than git good and build better teams.

I forgot to mention the other ways of breaking Amoonguss

Lum Berry Gambit
Specs Psyshock Valiant
SD Ice Spinner Quaval
Specs Greninja
Hatterene
Chain Chomp
Future Sight from Slowking

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
While I understand that these posts aren't for quite the same reason, given some of the discourse surrounding Salt Guy, this is a very funny pair of posts to me. Especially after the Toxapex comparisons being thrown around.
Hold on, sorry for me being stupid but I kinda didn't understand your point lol.
It actually doesn't, only moves that target the mon with Pressure lose extra PP.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Smogon trying really hard to make stall the go to strat again. Record number of unaware pokemon in the tier, ban anything that makes the fat walls cry. If defensive pokemon can't just block everything, lets see what's the next offensive pokmon in the tier to be banned.

A wall that has access to recovery, spore, and the regenerator ability so if it doesn't get one shot, it gets to lock down a pokemon, heal up and do it again.
If you consistently lose to Amoonguss with the tools currently at your disposal, you're a loser. Skill issue to be honest. Might wanna reflect on your ELO or whatever.

Hold on, sorry for me being stupid but I kinda didn't understand your point lol.
There's been like 30 pages of discourse over Covert Cloak "for one mon", so seeing Safety Goggles suggested for a much more solvable problem immediately after anti-Garg sentiment made me question reality for a moment, heh.

This however, is actually insane. It's clearly not good enough to be an issue, but I hate that it succeeded even the one time.

Last edited:
I think you need to reevaluate a strategy, unless you're using a HO team, no game between 2 equally skilled players should go below 20 turns (obviously there are exceptions, but you get the idea)

Sure, you can't kill amoongus in 1 turn, but you can nullify its spore, enter on his attacks, retaliate and giving him less turn to entry, and unless you and amongus hit the field at the same time a 2HKO will suffice, sure, knock off doesn't kill, but now he is itemless, and depending on what he has, it could make your life easier or much easier. Eventually he will run out of options and be force to do drastic decisions, like sacking amoongus, its not a black and white matter, and I'm not suggesting a 1000000000 turn game, just remain calm, play steady and recognize your way out of the situation
I was suggesting things across these lines like that when I was debating in defence of chien pao (it's not like chien-pao had some super set with no exploitable weaknesses whith 100% chance to kill the entire enemy team or something), but apparently you need to try harder than that in these forums.

knock off is useless if it is holding a non-healing item.

even if it does hold a healing item knock of in general is a bad idea.

have you even tried to take a look at which pokemon have access to knock off?

mewoscarada gets completely walled by amoonguss.
peliper is almost useless outside of rain teams.
great tusk can't always afford to boost its own attack ,and even if does it is still better to use ice spinner and choice band which is still not an OHKO.
iron threads also has it better with ice spinner rather than knock off.
finally we have got iron vailant which can't always afford to run physical sets not to mention that it would do much more damage with special psychic move instead.

in UU the best knock off user is gallade which does not need it since if you give it choice band it can get a guaranteed OHKO on amoonguss with stab+sharpness boosted psycho cut, and the problem with gallade is that it is not super great in OU although it can get some OHKOs on some of its walls so using it in your team is risky.

by "pressure"?
if you are talking about the ability then it is not affected at all by pressure.

read the comments where I am talkin about the spore, I don't remember if any of them was directed towards you or if all of them were directed to the other people.
I am talking to a lots of people at once so it is hard to keep track of what I said to whom.

in one of them I explained how 90% of damage on amoonguss isn't as much of a deal as it would be in any other wall because if it puts you to sleep it can go to 93-100% on two turns later depeding on if it holds a healing item.
You're not thinking about the bigger picture

Perhaps yes in isolation nothing OHKO's it (which isn't true entirely), but you gotta consider the following:

You chunk Amoonguss by 90% and your Baxcalibur gets put to sleep. Seems good for your opponent, right? Amoonguss lives, your wallbreaker is asleep, and Amoonguss can regen its health back by switching out

But, Amoonguss now either:
1. Has to have Synthesis (uncommon, eats up a much coveted moveslot)
2. Swap out for regenerator healing.

If Amoonguss is paired with, say, a Dondozo, you can see the regen switch coming in and send out one of your teammates that can answer Dozo. Like Meowscarada. You switch your Meow in on the opposing Dozo.

Dozo wouldnt stay in on Meow. Normally, meow struggles to break through Amoonguss and thus the shroom would be the obvious switch. However..

252 Atk Choice Band Meowscarada Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss: 208-246 (48.1 - 56.9%) -- 89.5% chance to 2HKO

Due to the prior damage taken, even with Regen healing, this is a clean KO on amoonguss if it wants to switch back in. The Amoonguss user now has to play the guessing game, but its almost always a negative situation because *something* is losing its item

Just because Bax couldn't OHKO the fungus doesn't mean Amoonguss can continue doing it's job. It got heavily damaged and needs careful pivoting in and out to regain its HP. If you're losing due to letting Amoonguss regen everything back up after a strong hit, you aren't applying enough pressure to the rest of it's team.

Ofcourse this hypothetical scenario is just that, hypothetical. But I hope this sort of shows what I am trying to say; you cannot just bruteforce buttonmash your way to victory all the time. If you could, it would be no fun for the opposing player. Darmanitan Galar was a good exaple of this. There are win conditions, and lose conditions, in each game for both sides. Its up to you to identify it.

__
If the Amoonguss carries Synthesis instead it means you can just keep Bax in to burn sleep or switch to a defensive mon and pivot out or throw hazards down or whatever, since it would only have Giga Drain and - presumably - clear smog or sludge bomb which get hard walled by any Steel or Poison type, and it wouldnt be able to really make progress anymore.

You know what? I'm starting to think you people either don't care enough to actually spend more than 2 seconds on the teambuilder to actually put something together, or are just acting stupid on purpose. If you actually think that Stall is anywhere near as good as in the last gens then we can't help, go play Ubers or Doubles. Wah wah Smogon bad

Ever heard of Gholdengo? 2nd most popular mon in the meta right now? No? Don't like it?
i thought what i wrote last night was too much of an exaggeration but i forgot that parody in 2023 is impossible

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
There's been like 30 pages of discourse over Covert Cloak "for one mon", so seeing Safety Goggles suggested for a much more solvable problem immediately after anti-Garg sentiment made me question reality for a moment, heh.
Oh yeah I absolutely know, that's why I said "a problem for you", I don't consider Amoonguss to be anywhere near a problem and definitely not as annoying as Garg. The whole "just use Cloak" argument was also supported by me, and I stated multiple times how much of a good item it was regardless of Garg being a threat in the current meta. The reason why I changed my mind is that, like all items, it's vulnerable to getting Knocked Off, and the second you lose it you also lose your reliable answer to Salt Cure. And I've actually also noticed that teams that use Garg are now better prepared for Covert Cloak, either by having multiple mons with Knock Off to support Garg itself (Tusk and Meow mainly, but I've also seen Valiant running it as an answer for Gholdengo) or by running EQ on their Garg sets. The fact of the matter is that Salt Cure is an incredibly annoying move, and can make you lose games simply because you can't really do anything to prevent its chip damage. I played a game today where both me and my opponent where chipping our teams to death by spamming Salt Cure with our Gargs, and the whole game revolved on us switching in and out and stalling our respective Gargs (after both of us Terad, neither had a wallbreaker to take it down). It was ridiculous, and it made me realize how stupid of a mechanic it is.
This, and I also got bribed by AndViet

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
have you even tried to take a look at which pokemon have access to knock off?
that's why you use knock off, because amoongus is tasked with walling those mons, thus, you will get an attack before retreating
Meowscarada gets walled, that's fair, but she absorbs spore
if your using pelipper, YOU ARE using a rain team
Tusk/threads can at least get something in and our
Valiant can also run Psyshock, which shits on amoongus

Anyways, I wanna change the topic a bit and light the place up a bit, I wanna talk about Power Trip Corv

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Power Trip
- Roost
- Defog

In my personal opinion, this is corvis best set, despite how outrageous this might sound, corv is a A- mon in my book, because gholdengo and garga being number 1 and 2, it also loses to most mons in A, A+ and S bar Tusk, I have a post with my rant better explained

but this set right here, It's so much fun, because after 2 and tera, corv becomes an insanely fun wallbreaker to use, why? Because it shits on almost every single defensive mon bar skeleridge, which hard counters the set, but that's one mon, being able to get a tricked scarf normally ruins corv, but this set, its actually a good bait, because you're now sweeping, this obviously falls a bit flat under offensive mons, but the combo of those 2 moves does better than Brave bird with enough set up, and Body Press is a horrible move your only using for kingambit (i don't care that andviet swept me with it once) and U-turn, while still usefull, it has become a bit of a meme move thanks to gholdengo again, this corv set is for players that need corviknight, but need some offense to it, thunder wave support is optional but serves for you and other teammates like Expert Belt Valiant, specs gren, etc

Last edited:
okay you make a point here,these are not thaaaaat specific.
but still forcing one type on every team you make is pretty centralizing no matter how common that type is.

if amonguss gets 90% damage and puts you to sleep then it can use the next turn to use synthesis to regain 50% health thus taking its health to 60%.from that point it can either heal again or switch and come back later with and get a free 33% through regenerator taking its health to 93%.
if it is holding leftovers/black sludge it goes back to 100 % health.

so yes, it CAN srug it off if it puts your.

90% may be an amazing ammount of damage dealt to any other wall but in amoonguss's case it is not enough.

I want gen 8 toxapex banned too, I know what a nightmare that thing was but this is gen 9 forums not gen 8.

and what's that gonna do?

define "forcing progress",do you mean "beating the opponents pokemon" or you mean something else.
this term seems pretty vague.
No one tell him about BDSP OU's Breloom. Or Breloom in ANY format where it's mattered lmao.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader

Here is the thing, just don't let the amongus counter fall asleep, sure it sounds unfair that you're basically losing a mon to it, but unless amongus has Sythesis (which are rare because It's strapped for moves) then sure, you will get a 1000000000000000 turn game, but just keep pressure up, knock off, wow, rocks, constant damage, sure, this might don't sound like a lot alone, but together at the same time puts pressure into it

Would you be so kind to suggest a song for the suspect test, since you're now the official "banganacl" club president
We Will Rock You - Queen :)

While i genuinely think this might be the worst set of breakers we’ve had in like 3-4 gens. If you’re struggling breaking amoongus that’s either a team building issue or a decision making issue. I don’t see why it’s a conversation point we need to continue to discuss.

Oh yeah I absolutely know, that's why I said "a problem for you", I don't consider Amoonguss to be anywhere near a problem and definitely not as annoying as Garg. The whole "just use Cloak" argument was also supported by me, and I stated multiple times how much of a good item it was regardless of Garg being a threat in the current meta.
Oh yeah, don't worry, I agree with you. Just seeing another held item mentioned in such a hostile environment made me do a double-take!

The fact of the matter is that Salt Cure is an incredibly annoying move, and can make you lose games simply because you can't really do anything to prevent its chip damage. I played a game today where both me and my opponent where chipping our teams to death by spamming Salt Cure with our Gargs, and the whole game revolved on us switching in and out and stalling our respective Gargs (after both of us Terad, neither had a wallbreaker to take it down). It was ridiculous, and it made me realize how stupid of a mechanic it is.
This, and I also got bribed by AndViet
This is interesting to me, though. For one of you, fighting the Garg through Salt Cure should have been the correct play, right? Switching into each other's Salt Cures is basically phazing yourselves without really advancing the game state.

Honestly, i'm hopeful that with Pao gone, we'll see more mons like Arboliva, or really anything capable of forcing Garg to switch out first.

Oh yeah, don't worry, I agree with you. Just seeing another held item mentioned in such a hostile environment made me do a double-take!

This is interesting to me, though. For one of you, fighting the Garg through Salt Cure should have been the correct play, right? Switching into each other's Salt Cures is basically phazing yourselves without really advancing the game state.

Honestly, i'm hopeful that with Pao gone, we'll see more mons like Arboliva, or really anything capable of forcing Garg to switch out first.
Arboliva flourishes in a no CP meta

Speedy bird isn’t as relevant, as it doesn’t really come in and out over a game, so it’s matchup neutral.

on the Arboliva topic, the team of battlers who were spruiking it have come up with a few suggested spreads.

overall, I like the substitute + 3 attacks with metronome

try it, it’s very effective against all team types if it can get space.

be careful against experienced players, as they won’t give it space, so you’ll need to force space through positioning.

here’s a sample spread:

:arboliva:

Arboliva @ Metronome
Ability: Seed Sower
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Tera Blast
- Substitute

Metronome is taken over leftovers to prevent the ability for teams to cycle through resists whilst breaking the sub, and also it allows it to break past PP stall attempts from clodsire and co, whilst also forcing out Tera from some Pokémon’s like skeledirge if they want to actually force it out. Metronome also prevents dragonite and similar Pokémon from setting up easily in front of it.

I wish I saved the replay… but it even broke past stall!! The fact that recovery moves have 8 pp means that even blissey has to beware. So teams like the stall team that runs firebird need firebird removed (to avoid resist cycling wasting PP), and then you can spam to your hearts content.

metronome is so good, that basically if you can get 2x repeated attacks fitted in, you’re going to take something out. And then if the opponent has a rotom, Garg, etc, you just switch it out on the revenge turn, and bring it back in again later.

generally speaking, a lot of bulky mons are weak or neutral to either it’s STABs or earth power coverage.

Last edited:

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
Arboliva flourishes in a no CP meta

Speedy bird isn’t as relevant, as it doesn’t really come in and out over a game, so it’s matchup neutral.

on the Arboliva topic, the team of battlers who were spruiking it have come up with a few suggested spreads.

overall, I like the substitute + 3 attacks with metronome

try it, it’s very effective against all team types if it can get space.

be careful against experienced players, as they won’t give it space, so you’ll need to force space through positioning.

here’s a sample spread:

:arboliva:

Arboliva @ Metronome
Ability: Seed Sower
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Tera Blast
- Substitute

Metronome is taken over leftovers to prevent the ability for teams to cycle through resists whilst breaking the sub, and also it allows it to break past PP stall attempts from clodsire and co, whilst also forcing out Tera from some Pokémon’s like skeledirge if they want to actually force it out. Metronome also prevents dragonite and similar Pokémon from setting up easily in front of it.

I wish I saved the replay… but it even broke past stall!! The fact that recovery moves have 8 pp means that even blissey has to beware. So teams like the stall team that runs firebird need firebird removed (to avoid resist cycling wasting PP), and then you can spam to your hearts content.

metronome is so good, that basically if you can get 2x repeated attacks fitted in, you’re going to take something out. And then if the opponent has a rotom, Garg, etc, you just switch it out on the revenge turn, and bring it back in again later.

generally speaking, a lot of bulky mons are weak or neutral to either it’s STABs or earth power coverage.
Arboliva loves this Birdless meta, and I ain't talking about Espathra, I mean the sheer lack of mons that rely on a flying move as their main offensive choice. Just last gen we had Zapdos, Moltres, Zapdos-G, Moltres-G, Tornadus, Hawlucha, Mandibuzz and Dnite, all of which enjoyed carrying either Hurricane or Brave Bird in their sets. Now what do we have? Corvi? Pelipper? Sometimes you find a couple of Dragonites with Hurricane and Tera Flying Moons, maybe some Iron Jugulis. But that's pretty much it, we don't have consistent mons with Flying coverage in OU, which effectively cuts the Flying weakness out of the tier.
What really sucks for Arboliva are those Fire, Fighting and Ice weaknesses, all of which are very common. So it's a mon that kinda relies a bit too much on Terastallization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)