Swine flu hitting everywhere

http://xkcd.com/

Yea, he's really serious.
rofl my entire high school sounded like that today.
And it's practically impossible to contract mad cow disease from eating an infected cow.
though this is not a BSE discussion, eating infected cattle is the only way to get CJD (a human version of mad cow). Tissue transplants from infected people can also cause it, though this is far less common.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't understand why people get so jaded after certain disease panics that end up fizzling. Has it occurred to anyone that maybe because of swift action that what could otherwise be really big problems end up not being big problems?

Swine Flu is nothing to worry about. Just don't let someone cough/sneeze/kiss you that you don't know, and you'll be fine. People freak out way too easily.

It really seems like too much of a big deal tho. It is very treatable in rich countries, and people should calm down.
Exactly, RICH countries, however Mexico is not exactly really rich, sure, we have some money, but we dont qualify as rich. And what about poor countries? Basically, they are doomed?

latest info says 20 confirmed deaths in Mexico while 152 more possibly caused by Swine flu as well

Confirmed Infections:
United States:68( 45 new york,13 California,6 Texas,2 kansas, 1 Indiana,1 Ohio)
Mexico:172
Canada:13
New Zeland:11
UK:2
Spain:2
Israel:2
Costa Rica:2

In Mexico 1995 people are suspected with the virus, In the United States the possibility of the virus has spread everywhere, New york suspecting 100+ people might have the virus. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/H1N1_USA_Map.svg. possible cases have also spread to Europe( France,Italy,Austria etc),Australia,South America(Argentina,Brazil etc). It seems to not have reached any Asian countries besides Israel altough South Korea has like 2 suspected cases.It hasn't spread to any area of Africa according to the latest information.
So far around the world it's mostly suspected cases,With the exeption of the 7 countries that reported confirmed infection, also this statistics are from wikipedia but i think their pretty accurate as many provide sources and I seen many of this statements confirmed on the news.

In my opinion I think this is controllable and we shouldn't panic but it's defenetly important to keep an eye on.

And remember, it is also the first time in more than 20 years classes have been suspended (24 to be exact, since the earthquake that happened on 1985), that tells how serious it is getting, however, many private companies are working on a vaccine, they say it should be ready in 6 months, which, technically speaking, is a relatively short time, still its worrying, for now, stay at home as much as possible

(By the way, its nice to know there a Mexican Compatriota here)

Edit: Also, Mrobinson587, I´ve heard this is a whole new Flu, which worries me, since we, as humans, need many years to become resistant to a disease, so, in your professional opinion, how much would it take us to become inmune IF we ever do?

Ah well I'm not in a position to make an opinion as I lack that kind of knowledge. I deal with doing the field work and some lab work identifying which species of mosquito we are dealing with (human biting, cannibalistic, disease carrying, non disease carrying etc) so my knowledge of flu viruses is no better than that of a layman. It's a summer job I've had for the past few years in a field I'm not going into.

However, I do start work here soon and we probably will be getting briefed on it to answer the public's questions. I can tell you right now, number one question this summer will be does swine flu spread through mosquitoes :P

Ah well I'm not in a position to make an opinion as I lack that kind of knowledge. I deal with doing the field work and some lab work identifying which species of mosquito we are dealing with (human biting, cannibalistic, disease carrying, non disease carrying etc) so my knowledge of flu viruses is no better than that of a layman. It's a summer job I've had for the past few years in a field I'm not going into.

However, I do start work here soon and we probably will be getting briefed on it to answer the public's questions. I can tell you right now, number one question this summer will be does swine flu spread through mosquitoes :P
Mosquitos? Ohhhh crap.. ... and they love my blood too..

It's only a matter of time before it makes it here to Oregon. There are already cases in California and British Columbia, and people travel between Oregon and both of those.

I've been mainly freaking out because I encountered at least 3 people in the city today that were coughing and sneezing.

im from mexico, and we cant go to school or any public place till the 6th of march.... and yeah theres been several cases of dead, specally in D.F.

the first US death! 1 small infant died in Texas while there is 91 confirm cases,Germany,Austria ansd South Korea now report confirmed infection cases which adds to the list og infected countries(Spain,UK,Israel,US,Mexico, and New zeland)

... so 150 deaths caused from slaughterhouse contamination despite the virus spreading from human to human and not animal to human? wow, what were they slaughtering I wonder? I'm not a sensationalist and I take all of these things with a pinch of salt, but people should realise that, unlike Avian Flu and SARS (although admittedly the whole SARS thing passed me by a bit) This is much more contagious, although unlike Avian Flu the death rate is much lower. However, remember that this has a death rate estimated at 1-2% and spanish flu (over 100 million deaths...) had a 2.5-5% death rate, without the antibiotic treatments we have today.

The contamination and the virus are two separate things. When confronted with accusations that the slaughterhouse was responsible for the majority of the deaths in that village, the owners blamed the flu that was actually going around. The flu itself is infectious, but with a relatively low mortality rate. The contamination was likely caused by improper waste disposal management.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)