SPOILERS! Sword and Shield in-game team discussion thread

Rillaboom, Coalossal, Mr. Rime (unless he's really late, and then it will be Hatterene), Grapploct are all for certain. Last two spots are flexible but will likely be new pokemon for at least the first run.

I decided to change my team in shield just a bit. Gonna replace theivul with Dubwool, as i love wooloo so much. So right now my in game team for sword is:

Intelleon
Dubwool
Frosmoth
Hatterene
Stunfisk
Dragonpolt

I know dreepy is a deep way into the game but dont mind waiting for it. Ill probably use another ghost in the meantime. Not sure what. But thats going to be my team i complete the game with for sure.

I do hope its not hard to get frosmoths HA from raid battles. I really want that one. Also not sure if i go with healer or magic gaurd for hatterene. Healer is decent for doubles but magic guard is such a good ability too. Hopefully that HA isnt hard to grab either

Don't worry, the ass defensive typing should keep it in check
For Water-types yes. But for Ground-types that's a problem, most Ground-types and wouldn't like to get welcome by a Scald and specially as it can cripple with burn. The same might apply for offensive checks by burn chance or by Will-O-Wisp directly. The weaknesses might be its bane but at the same time can be worked on the other way around as bait.

For Water-types yes. But for Ground-types that's a problem, most Ground-types and wouldn't like to get welcome by a Scald and specially as it can cripple with burn. The same might apply for offensive checks by burn chance or by Will-O-Wisp directly. The weaknesses might be its bane but at the same time can be worked on the other way around as bait.
This is the in game team discussion thread; a thread for people to discuss what pokemon they're going to use for the singleplayer adventure part of the game. I'd recommend using the SwSh spoilers thread or smogon's discord channel instead to discuss competitive implications of the new pokemon.

----

It's really difficult deciding a team for this one. I really love using almost entirely dual-types when I play through a pokemon game. Rillaboom is one monotype already, and Cursola's amazing design is tempting me to add in a second. Corvoknight and Sizzlepede are almost assured locks for me, but I have no idea who to use after that.

Really hoping that Sizzlepede + Rillaboom isn't setting me up for pain. I tried Scolipede + Serperior in B2W2 and it just felt so awful having so many overlapping weaknesses. Fire does a lot to undo that, but still nervous.

Last edited:
Now, I don't have a Switch, but if I DO get Pokemon Sword/Shield, these will be my choices for an in-game team: (Note that this list only contains new mons):
Team #1:
Inteleon, Centiskorch, Copperjah, Barraskewda, Duraldon, Dragapult
(Yes guys, I am willing to look for a Dreepy with THAT LOW encounter rates until I get one.)

Team #2:
Inteleon, Copperjah, Barraskewda, Cursola, Duraldon, Dragapult

I really love using almost entirely dual-types when I play through a pokemon game.
I kinda do pretty much similar, I usually play with 4 dual-types and 2 single-types. One of the single-types in my playthrough team will be Cursola for sure, which is one of my favourite regional-form/evo mons so far.

I'll start with Rookidee instead of a starter mon, I'll later get a Corsola aswell as I'm thinking about getting a Skorupi, but the rest I dunno so I'll play and decide based on my playthrough along the journey.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed the game so far, despite all the negative things I’ve said about it this year. I’ve played 6 hours and only on route 3 and yet to reach the first gym leader hahaha. I’ve spent most of my time exploring the Wild Area, catching random stuff, doing Dynamax battles, designing my outfit and perfecting my trainer card!

My current team:

Trevelyan (Drizzile) level 22 (007 Goldeneye tribute)
Starship (Dottler) level 23 (alien bug Starship Troopers tribute)
Shade (G-Linoone) level 20 (black and white are shades)
Death Petal (Roselia) level 23

I realize I’m over-leveled. It’s hard not to be. Even the bloody curry gives you Exp. The game is fun and looks pretty. I like all the TMs and TRs. Glowing powerful Pokémon are cool. Still not happy about Dexit, move cuts, subpar graphics in the Wild Area, the easiness of the game so far, and the lack of buffs for older pokemon. Also, shiny Pokémon should be shiny in the overworld. But the game is still an enjoyable experience so far.

Some Doubles chicanery I'm excited to check out:
Has anybody else noticed that Araquanid gets the new move Entrainment?
"The user dances with an odd rhythm that compels the target to mimic it, making the target's Ability the same as the user's."

Put Water Bubble on Jolly Scarf Dracovish and suddenly not much is going to survive Fishious Rend, even has decent odds of the 2HKO on Pex and Ferrothorn. Flapple/Appletun look like the only counters, but then you run Dragon Claw to anticipate the switch. Araquanid can also support with Wide Guard, Sticky Web, and its own Water Bubble-boosted Liquidation.

Obstagoon also looks potentially decent with Tailwind support to help it sweep with STAB, Guts+Burn-boosted Facade. It can run Obstruct with some combo of Knock-Off, Close Combat, and Parting Shot alongside Facade depending on coverage needs and handle just about anything.

Boltund also seems like a potentially fun surprise option as a faster user of Electrify to cheese otherwise-lethal hits against ground-type 'mons and/or activate Lightning Rod.

Tentative team that I wanted some feedback on. (Those marked with a plus are definitive team mates that I very much intend to finish the game with.)

Sobble +
Wooloo +
Alcremie
Polteageist
Obstagoon
Galarian Ponyta

I keep flip flopping on Obstagoon because of it's typing and overlapping weaknesses with Wooloo. Also I don't know if this thread is the place to ask, but I was curious about what sort of natures would probably be recommended. I've been thinking of Timid for Sobble and Careful or Impish for Wooloo.

Tentative team that I wanted some feedback on. (Those marked with a plus are definitive team mates that I very much intend to finish the game with.)

Sobble +
Wooloo +
Alcremie
Polteageist
Obstagoon
Galarian Ponyta

I keep flip flopping on Obstagoon because of it's typing and overlapping weaknesses with Wooloo. Also I don't know if this thread is the place to ask, but I was curious about what sort of natures would probably be recommended. I've been thinking of Timid for Sobble and Careful or Impish for Wooloo.
Not sure on sobble nature but for wooloo impish may be best. You want as much defense as possible to use fluffy, as well as cotton gaurd with body press for the most damage.

As for the team, you share sobble and wooloo with me. You arent just doubling up on normal but fairy as well. Just be aware of that.

Inplan to use polteagiest on my shield team that has scorbunny, but still not sure what moveset to use... shell smash and shadow ball and stores power i want to use, but torn on giga drain or power sap for that last spot. What were you gonna do?

I'm thinking:

Rillaboom (Grass)
Barraskewda (Water)
Charizard (Fire) (also a good option for the new battle mechanics)
Sandaconda (Ground)
Galarian Rapidash (Psychic/Fairy)
Corviknight (Steel/Flying)

I feel like that gives me pretty decent coverage and uses mostly new Pokemon/mechanics. I don't think it opens me up to a ton of glaring weaknesses, either. That leaves me without STAB coverage for Normal, Flying, Psychic and Ghost though. A Dark type might be kinda nice actually. I might have to putz around and come up with something else.
I've actually since changed up my planned team. It's similar but has some better coverage and uses more Pokemon I'm excited about:
Rillaboom
Charizard
Rapidash
Sandaconda
Toxitricity
Polteaguist

Not sure on sobble nature but for wooloo impish may be best. You want as much defense as possible to use fluffy, as well as cotton gaurd with body press for the most damage.

As for the team, you share sobble and wooloo with me. You arent just doubling up on normal but fairy as well. Just be aware of that.

Inplan to use polteagiest on my shield team that has scorbunny, but still not sure what moveset to use... shell smash and shadow ball and stores power i want to use, but torn on giga drain or power sap for that last spot. What were you gonna do?
I figure Timid for Sobble to move faster since Inteleon seems to have a ridiculous amount of Special Attack to worry much about power. But I'm basing mostly on stats in this pre-planning so Modest is a possibility when more info comes in.

As for Polteageist and the double fairy; I didn't realize Galarian Rapidash was part fairy (I avoided most of the leaks because I didn't want story spoilers and wasn't sure if the leaks would just cover the Pokedex) and I thought of Polteageist as an 'up in the air' party member as it were for type coverage. Looking more into the info that's come out so far, I might axe Alcremie and Polteageist altogether since Pastel Veil is very tempting...

I figure Timid for Sobble to move faster since Inteleon seems to have a ridiculous amount of Special Attack to worry much about power. But I'm basing mostly on stats in this pre-planning so Modest is a possibility when more info comes in.

As for Polteageist and the double fairy; I didn't realize Galarian Rapidash was part fairy (I avoided most of the leaks because I didn't want story spoilers and wasn't sure if the leaks would just cover the Pokedex) and I thought of Polteageist as an 'up in the air' party member as it were for type coverage. Looking more into the info that's come out so far, I might axe Alcremie and Polteageist altogether since Pastel Veil is very tempting...
Yeah i can see timid working well just to make sure it will always go first, as it should hit hard enough.

Thats fine, i mostly only looked at spoilers for pokemon not story related. Luckily nothing story wise has been spoiled and smogon here has been mostly good at only talking about the pokemon only. And i know the feeling of settling on a team then swapping some out. I was gonna use galarian stunfisk but felt besy to wait to grassy surge grooky for that. So right now here are my planned teams.

Sword:
Intelleon, Dragapolt, Dubwool(wooloo evo), SirFetched, Hatterene, and Frosmoth

Shield:
Cinderace, Galarian Rapidash, Polteagiest, Eldegoss, Toxitricty, and Falinks

Polteagiest can still work on your team, has some very unique stuff for it

Kinda thinking:
-Cinderace
-Duraludon
-Runerigus
-Barraskewda
-Frosmoth
-Galarian Weezing
Before the datamine, I was gonna use Drednaw instead of Barraskewda, but Gigantamax Duraludon was revealed.

Just beat the Ghost Gym on Shield, and here's my current team:

Jak the Cinderace w/ Charcoal
Level 37
Rash nature
Ability: Blaze
-Pyro Ball
-Flame Charge
-Zen Headbutt
-Double Kick

Hoodwink the Galarian Stunfisk w/ Soft Sand
Level 36
Naive nature
Ability: Mimicry
-Metal Claw
-Mud Shot
-Sucker Punch
-Thunder Wave

Jekyll&Hyde the Galarian Weezing
Level 36
Quiet nature
Ability: Levitate
-Will-o-Wisp
-Sludge Bomb
-Strange Steam
-Heat Wave

Javelin the Barrascuda
Level 35
Rash nature
Ability: Swift Swim
-Waterfall
-Aqua Jet
-Bite
-Throat Chop

Granny Smith the Appletun
Level 35
Relaxed nature
Ability: Ripen
-Leech Seed
-Recover
-Apple Acid
-Body Slam

- Cinderace
- Corviknight
- Sirfetche'd
- Duraludon
- Eldergoss
- Orbeetle

Other options
- Grapploct
- Dragapult
- Zacian

How good can I fair with these guys ? Any tips ?

Last edited:
Where do I get the Fang TMs? My boy Arctozolt needs some good physical moves...They're telling me the Hammerlocke Pokemarts but it isnt there
Assume you've probably found these by now, but there are multiple Pokemarts/centres in Hammerlocke and the Fang TMs are available in the right most mart, close to Route 7. It requires a bit more story progression than just getting to Hammerlocke.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)