Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Anubis finds that Skill Swapping Stalwart / Propeller Tail onto a Pokemon with Dragon Darts, then using Instruct on it, so long as the Dragon Darts Pokemon is affected by the host mechanics glitch (i.e. be the host's first Pokemon), it will attempt to attack the user and its ally with Dragon Darts. Basically, this is just extrapolating the already understood redirection effect + host mechanics + Instruct combo with Dragon Darts.

See examples:

Note in my recording, you can see that Telepathy Oranguru will dodge Dragon Darts and hit Dragapult twice, and it even activates Dragapult's own Weakness Policy mid-hit.

I have heard that Body Press is incorrectly inplemented in Showdown and that -ingame- it isn't affected by defensive boosts(think of iron defense)

If that is actually true:
1. Does Swords Dance affect it?
2. Does Screech affect it?

In order for Body Press to benefit from stat stages, those stages have to be on the defense stat (i.e. Swords Dance won't increase the damage from Body Press, but Iron Defense will).

In order to benefit from modifiers that aren't stat stages, those modifiers have to apply to the attack stat (i.e. Fur Coat won't increase your damage with Body Press, but Huge Power will). Of course, modifiers that act on the move power (Black Belt) or on overall damage (Life Orb), instead of to any stat, will also work.

I assume Accelrock & V-Create are the same way. Are there any other moves that are "gone" but erroneously marked as enabled?
Think Mat Block is the only one left of the moves without users. There's also moves that are unavailable for now like Softboiled and Cut. Though Softboiled is unlearnable by anything naturally, while Cut is at least in regular Farfetch'd's levelup moves.

EDIT: Fairly sure the crash is new to 1.1.0 too, there's videos of successful Fairy Lock usage pre-patch.
While looking at the files changed I was reminded that Night Daze is also locked for now, as well as the real legendary signature moves. I had a picture of some files here before but it's more for the datamine thread.

Last edited:

Givrix

Mad Dog
is a Top Tiering Contributor
If I read the thread correctly (update: I didn't), there is no one who talked about Healing Wish (well...), so here we are.

it seems that this move got a buff with the 8th gen: When the move is used on a full hp mon, the effect is stored, and will be triggered only when you switch into a damaged mon.

Here is a recording from console:
Some things to know (Updated):

- You can't have more than 1 hwish stored at the same time
- You need to switch to get the heal (you can't trigger the heal with moves like belly drum or after being hit)
- It doesn't seem to have a turn limit when the hwish effect will be vanished. I tested it after 30 turns and it's still working
- If the pokemon is statused, healing wish will activate regardless of its hp
- The stored hwish can't be stolen by Court Change
- In doubles battle, the effet will be stored where the user was on the field (like on the left side). Ally switch triggers the hwish effect

Last edited:
No, and in a raid battle (the only place where Dynamax Pokemon can use moves that aren't max moves) an already-Dynamax Ditto's Transform will fail if the target ends up being one of those three.

Additionally, Imposter will simply not trigger at all against those three, so I'd recommend against bringing one of those three to a Ditto raid if you're fishing for a HA Ditto.

Additionally, Imposter will simply not trigger at all against those three, so I'd recommend against bringing one of those three to a Ditto raid if you're fishing for a HA Ditto.
Can we confirm this with more in-game footage? If regular (i.e. non-Dynamaxed) Imposter Ditto fails to trigger against all Zacian/Zamazenta/Eternatus (especially all forms), then this is huge for both Balanced Hackmons and Pure Hackmons.

Can we confirm this with more in-game footage? If regular (i.e. non-Dynamaxed) Imposter Ditto fails to trigger against all Zacian/Zamazenta/Eternatus (especially all forms), then this is huge for both Balanced Hackmons and Pure Hackmons.
Sorry, unclear wording -- I meant it won't trigger in a raid vs Ditto. The "at all" was meant as a contrast to Transform, which gives an explicit failure message.

Sorry, unclear wording -- I meant it won't trigger in a raid vs Ditto. The "at all" was meant as a contrast to Transform, which gives an explicit failure message.
What happens if Ditto Dynamaxes after Imposter fails activating (i.e. because of a Substitute) and then the opposing player sends out Eternatus?

Another way to realize it is in a double battle: one side brings Zacian and Zamazenta, the other brings Imposter Ditto and Neutralizing Gas Weezing. Ditto starts Dynamax, then Weezing leaves the field (switching out, using Explosion, whatever). All three other abilities should be prompted for a chance to trigger after it does leave, but only Imposter whiffs.

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I think the failure is from Raid Ditto Imposter which does nothing vs legends and can't be applied to user vs user battles.
DaWoblefet has this clip showing my Ditto Impostering his Zacian in an online battle.

I think the failure is from Raid Ditto Imposter which does nothing vs legends and can't be applied to user vs user battles.
I guess it fails because Ditto is already Dynamaxed, and the Galar trio can't Dynamax.

But then again, it's a situation that cannot happen in-game... as far as I know.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
did someone checked all moves , hp draining and other if the % are the same?
are old moves and relations the same like in past or did things changed maybe?

what move combos weren't tried out by anyone yet?

Sableye with Stall used in trick room(still moves allways last)
and psychic terrain (teoretically if it moves last all oponents moves are increased priority moves against it)?
How do decreased priority moves work against Stall Sabley? will they fail? hit? activate effects?

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
did someone checked all moves , hp draining and other if the % are the same?
are old moves and relations the same like in past or did things changed maybe?
The only draining move that may have changed according to the datamine (not possible to confirm as the move is disabled) is that Bouncy Bubble might now heal 100% of damage dealt.

Questions like if people have tested every single interaction of moves and abilities to directly confirm that they behave in the expected way are not particularly useful because there's way too many to generalize like that, if there's specific interactions that you have a good reason to suspect were changed then I'm sure people might be willing to check, but if you just say "check everything" that doesn't help anybody.

Is it true that quick claw, lagging tail, full incense, Custap berry, and stall decide to affect turn order only at the beginning of a turn? So if the items (or stall) are gained, lost, or suppressed, then the gain/loss/suppressing won't start affecting turn order until the beginning of the next turn? Do gale wings and triage start changing priority immediately after they get gained/lost/suppressed? Does trick room start reversing turn order immediately after someone uses it?

Is this the full list of moves, items, and abilities that can change turn order without changing speed?
trick room, after you, quash, quick claw, lagging tail, full incense, Custap berry, stall, prankster, gale wings, triage

Random trivia question: Are there any adding modifiers that affect stats (adding directly to the stat, not the stat stages), power, or damage?

Does Dragon Darts do individual accuracy calculations for each target? I'd assume it does, and if it misses the second target, it just redirects to the first. Is this correct? What happens if both targets have really high evasion? Does the attack keep running calculations until it hits one target, or does it miss?

24 days into January. I got some news

So as it turns out, there's been a sudden change in the metagame.

The statement above is outdated. Zacian and Zamazenta in their crowned formes have recently been proven usable without any item or ability restrictions! Cheers, we can do more with these formes!
Can we independently confirm this? I found this in the Pure Hackmons thread, but this is huge for both Pure and Balanced Hackmons.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Various interactions built up in my notes:
  • A Pokemon can be Encored on the final turn of Dynamax into the base move of the most recently used Max Move (see timestamp).
  • The glitch where self-hit confusion will not trigger Sitrus / super Sitrus Berries still exists.
  • All Choice lock Magic Room glitches that were still in USUM are gone; I assume this is because of how easily it would have been to pull it off with manipulating Gorilla Tactics + Choice item.
  • When a Choiced Gorilla Tactics Pokemon locks into a move, it is the Choice item that primarily locks it into the attack.
    • If you use Knock Off after it has locked into a move, it will be locked into Gorilla Tactics: "<Pokemon> can only use <move>!"
    • If you lock into a move Gorilla Tactics, then are Tricked a Choice item on the same turn (i.e. Trick happens after Gorilla Tactics moves), it will be locked into the Choice item, despite never moving with it: "The <item> only allows the use of <move>!"
  • The Ally Switch + Leech Seed interaction (where you can damage and heal from Leech Seed on the same turn if Ally Switch swaps the Pokemon's positions after using Leech Seed on an ally), still exists.
  • Contrary vs. Strength Sap plays out the same way as in previous generations; at +6 Attack, Strength Sap into Contrary will play the animation, say the Contrary Pokemon's Attack can't go higher, then heal.
  • Parting Shot vs. a Magic Bounce Dynamax Pokemon causes the Dynamax Pokemon to switch out.
  • Parting Shot vs. Eject Pack causes the Parting Shot user to switch out, and Eject Pack will not be consumed.
  • Recycle can restore a Berry consumed by Teatime.

Last edited:
Fairly dumb question inbound:
If a mon gains a fire weakness via Tar Shot, does Wonder Guard still block damage from fire moves? (assuming the mon wasn't initially weak to fire)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)