Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Multi-Attack turns into the appropriate Max Move despite still showing Max Strike (Fairy Memory makes it use Max Starfall for example).

Which begs the question, does this behavior carry over to Hidden Power? I know Hidden Power is a move that is unusable in Sword and Shield but it's still in the game and I think it can still turn into a Max Move right? If so, does it become Max Strike or will it depend on its actual type like with Multi-Attack?

I know there's no way to legitimately get it right now but I'm just curious for when Home releases.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Multi-Attack turns into the appropriate Max Move despite still showing Max Strike (Fairy Memory makes it use Max Starfall for example).

Which begs the question, does this behavior carry over to Hidden Power? I know Hidden Power is a move that is unusable in Sword and Shield but it's still in the game and I think it can still turn into a Max Move right? If so, does it become Max Strike or will it depend on its actual type like with Multi-Attack?

I know there's no way to legitimately get it right now but I'm just curious for when Home releases.
Hidden Power was one of the moves completely deleted. It's gone, even after Pokemon Home.

The only way it could be tested is if its code is still in the game and it's hacked to be usable, but that test would be just just be for curiosity instead of anything useful... As the curious type, is Hidden Power's code even still in the game?

Hidden Power was one of the moves completely deleted. It's gone, even after Pokemon Home.

The only way it could be tested is if its code is still in the game and it's hacked to be usable, but that test would be just just be for curiosity instead of anything useful... As the curious type, is Hidden Power's code even still in the game?
I've seen videos where HP was hacked onto a Pokémon and the move showed its typing from the menu, rather than just normal type. Which indirectly shows that the moves affects are still in the game. (Don't know about max moves however).

I've seen videos where HP was hacked onto a Pokémon and the move showed its typing from the menu, rather than just normal type. Which indirectly shows that the moves affects are still in the game. (Don't know about max moves however).
Right. And it's a search option as well. They aren't completely deleted from the game, they have stats and whatnot, they're disabled and unable to be used, but are still there.

If you trick a lagging tail onto a pokemon in a doubles battle, is that pokemon supposed to move last during that same turn? I know it works with speed changes now but i’m not sure if this counts as a speed change or not.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/balanced-hackmons.3656408/page-3#post-8299768
420LegitShucks said:
So I think I found something that will change Balanced Hackmons...
Just to test if this actually worked, I genned in 4 mons: a permanent Zacian-Crowned, a permanent Darmanitan-Galar-Zen, and an Eternatus-Eternamax, and I did a local battle with my friend to test them out.
The results: not only did all of those mons show up as their normal forms, ie. regular Zacian, regular Darmanitan-Galar, and regular Eternatus in the PC where I genned them to, but they showed up like that in a local battle, which means that these forms cannot exist outside of battle. I understand Eternamax Eternatus cannot exists outside of battle period, but I didn't expect the other mons to not show up.
Do with this what you will, but if we're going to keep Balanced Hackmons to what's usable in game, we should prevent these mons from being used in Balanced Hackmons, just like Eternamax Eternatus.
can someone else verify

I have a question which I'm a bit unclear about, and might have missed something. With the Rusted Sword/Shield, Zacian/Zamazenta are supposed to be Fairy/Steel types, right? In my last battle with Hop in the Slumbering Weald, I noticed that Behemoth Blade (steel) was not very effective and that Sacred Sword (fighting) was super effective, implying that it was pure steel type. If it was steel/fairy, I'd expect neutral damage in both cases, right? This applied to the hint text displayed on the moves as well as the actual text after the move was used, and (imo) appeared to be true for the damage output. Kicking myself for not replaying the fight to check whether it was just that fight that was broken.

Room Service questions:
  • Does the Speed reduction from your own Room Service trigger your own Defiant/Competitive? (this was asked previously and has been assumed to be "no", but confirmation would help)
  • Does it increase your Speed instead if you have Contrary? (asking this because not all stat changes do that e.g. Z-Celebrate)
  • What happens if you have Mirror Armor? Does it still lower your Speed or does it redirect that to your opponent despite not technically being opponent-inflicted?

Last edited:
Room Service questions:
  • Does the Speed reduction from your own Room Service trigger your own Defiant/Competitive? (this was asked previously and has been assumed to be "no", but confirmation would help)
  • Does it increase your Speed instead if you have Contrary? (asking this because not all stat changes do that e.g. Z-Celebrate)
  • What happens if you have Mirror Armor? Does it still lower your Speed or does it redirect that to your opponent despite not technically being opponent-inflicted?
Tested all three in game.
  • Room Service does not trigger Defiant/Competitive.
  • Room Service is affected by Contrary.
  • Room Service does not trigger Mirror Armor.

Has it been confirmed how much of an HP boost raid bosses get?

Has Endeavor's damage output on Dynamax and raid bosses been confirmed? In this video it appears to do a strange amount of damage (although I can't tell if it's just works like that in Max Raid Battles or on all Dynamax Pokemon).

Does the Pokemon use up PP when a move like Heavy Slam is used on a Dynamax Pokemon?

Has it been confirmed how much of an HP boost raid bosses get?

Has Endeavor's damage output on Dynamax and raid bosses been confirmed? In this video it appears to do a strange amount of damage (although I can't tell if it's just works like that in Max Raid Battles or on all Dynamax Pokemon).

Does the Pokemon use up PP when a move like Heavy Slam is used on a Dynamax Pokemon?
That video is on the subject of actual raid mons. which have different mechanics no matter how much damage you do. the damage imput will stop because the pokemon will then bring up a shield. there is no way to cheese it.

Dynamax pokemon in normal breakthroughs can be affected by moves like pain split and endeavor. The health
is just simply increased nothing else

also I'm a bit confused by your last question.
All pp is shared with standard moves and max moves

heavy slam does not do more/less damage to a dynamax pokemon

However if you mean in max raids. they can pull out random moves out of them depending on their shield level and aggressiveness.

for ex.

Rhyperior in max raids does not have earthquake in its moveset when you catch it. It does use earthquake however when you force it to bring up the shield a second time

Eisenherz

επέκεινα της ουσίας
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
also I'm a bit confused by your last question.
All pp is shared with standard moves and max moves

heavy slam does not do more/less damage to a dynamax pokemon
What they were referring to is the fact Heavy Slam (and all other weight-based moves) fail against Dynamax Pokémon (raid or not). They were wondering whether failing in this way used up PP or not.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Can someone (dis)confirm that Draco meteor and Dragon Darts arent blocked by Bulletproof? Also other potential shot moves?

• Which abilities can/cannot be replaced/exchanged/copied by other abilities? (by means of Mummy / Skill Swap / Trace, etc)

Of course, asking to test for every single ability is ridiculous so here's something to begin with: mostly these tend to be form-changing abilities such as Stance Change & RKS System so maybe these could be tested first: Gulp Missile, Hunger Switch and Ice Face. Maybe also throw Wandering Spirit in there so we know the extents of what abilities it can/cannot swap with.

• Speaking of Wandering Spirit, how does it interact with Mummy? Whether Mummy can replace WanderingSpirit and WanderingSpirit can exchange itself with opposing Mummy?

Last edited:
Endeavor with Dyna/Gigantamax Pokemon:

So the endeavor mechanics for Dynamax pokemon this generation are pretty interesting. Based on my algorithm, the way the game determines final state HP of a pkm is as follows:

Step1: convert current HP to undynamaxed HP. This value should be ceiled and not floored. (referred as base_hp from now on)
Forumla: base_hp = ceil(curr_dynamax_hp/dynamax_multiplier)

Step2: subtract the HP of the pokemon that is using endeavor from the base_hp calculated in step 1. If the HP of the pokemon using endeavor is more than base_hp, the move will have no effect.
Forumla: damage = base_hp - endeavor_hp

Step3: subtract this calculated damage (from Step 2) from curr_dynamax_hp to get the final state HP of the pkm
Formula: final_hp = curr_dynamax_hp - damage

Examples:
1/135 HP pokemon with endeavor vs 238/300 HP Dynamax Level 10 opponent
238 undynamaxed = 119
119 - 1 = 118 damage
238 - 118 damage = 120 Final HP

12/135 HP pokemon with endeavor vs 47/186 HP Dynamax Level 0 opponent
47 undynamaxed = ceil(47/1.5) = 32
32-12 = 20 damage
47-20 = 27 Final HP

Thanks to Anubis for helping me test this algorithm. Proof of interaction attached (My Discord name is thecommondude)

Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG

Endeavor with Dyna/Gigantamax Pokemon:

So the endeavor mechanics for Dynamax pokemon this generation are pretty interesting. Based on my algorithm, the way the game determines final state HP of a pkm is as follows:

Step1: convert current HP to undynamaxed HP. This value should be ceiled and not floored. (referred as base_hp from now on)
Forumla: base_hp = ceil(curr_dynamax_hp/dynamax_multiplier)

Step2: subtract the HP of the pokemon that is using endeavor from the base_hp calculated in step 1. If the HP of the pokemon using endeavor is more than base_hp, the move will have no effect.
Forumla: damage = base_hp - endeavor_hp

Step3: subtract this calculated damage (from Step 2) from curr_dynamax_hp to get the final state HP of the pkm
Formula: final_hp = curr_dynamax_hp - damage

Examples:
1/135 HP pokemon with endeavor vs 238/300 HP Dynamax Level 10 opponent
238 undynamaxed = 119
119 - 1 = 118 damage
238 - 118 damage = 120 Final HP

12/135 HP pokemon with endeavor vs 47/186 HP Dynamax Level 0 opponent
47 undynamaxed = ceil(47/1.5) = 32
32-12 = 20 damage
47-20 = 27 Final HP

Thanks to Anubis for helping me test this algorithm. Proof of interaction attached (My Discord name is thecommondude)

View attachment 209443View attachment 209444
Not to sully the thread above, but im sure that all HP based moves should work on the same principle (such as super fang. Will test this once I am free today)

I don't know if it was mentioned but Ripen does trigger if the user holds Leftovers.
The message triggers, but the ability doesn't.

That being said, I'm interested on this visual bug. Does the Ripen message pop up with all items that can be "used" (triggering the use animation) by a Pokémon (e.g. Focus Sash, Normal Gem)? Or is it just the berries and "usable" recovery items (Leftovers)?

If it's the latter, then Ripen should have an effect on Leftovers, but for some reason it doesn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)