Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

I don't see how VGC or the virus would affect game news? Nintendo and other game companies are going ahead with their reveals, videogames are one of the few industries actually benefiting from everyone staying home
This only applies to games and expansions that have already completed development, went gold and are ready to be shipped. Video games are still developed by people that are at risk of being infected, and certain processes of development can't be done or would significantly be slowed down by working home; according to Masahiro Sakurai, the development of Smash DLC has been slowed down by the quarantine measures and might have to be completely halted. Even products in their final stages of development and ready to be showcased to the public, like most likely the Isle of Armor or the first character in the second Fighter Pass, might have to be announced without a definite release date.

I don't see how VGC or the virus would affect game news? Nintendo and other game companies are going ahead with their reveals, videogames are one of the few industries actually benefiting from everyone staying home
It's benefitting consumption, not development: most companies are slowing down. I speak from direct experience: I've been home-bound/quarantined twice (currently going through the second one, and it's indefinite) and, despite all efforts, you cannot work as efficiently. True, you have everything at the palm of your hand, but you cannot solve anything involving your office mate immediately: you always need to drop an email, a skype message, make a call, etc... and I work in business planning, a simple industry to work from home for, I cannot imagine for developers.

There are rising concerns for the holiday release of the new consolles even, because the manufacturing cycle is crippled.
Bungie went out of their way to immediately implement smart working.
Nintendo already said in much advance (at the beginning of February, when the epidemic awareness was far lower) that there could have been problems in manufacturing for the domestic market.
Outer worlds on Switch has been delayed because the team could not work properly as a unit, and that was only a port.

Look, maybe everything will go as smoothly as if nothing was happening, but I would expect that some parts of it (namely product testing, preparations for marketing and directs, coordination with physical sales, etc...) are somewhat affected, provided that, of course, the DLC was not finished before, let's say, the last week of February (it could be, I'd reckon).

Good news is, we never had a release date to begin with (well, sort of good...), so if it's only a couple of weeks we won't even notice.

EDIT:

Unrelated news: raids have shifted officially.

A bunch of rare mons are appearing (Darumaka, Pincurchin, Version Exclusives). My anecdotal evidence also suggests that HAs are more frequent.

As of last night I already encountered Electric Surge Pincurchin, Psychic Surge Indeedee (2 out of 2), and I just completed an HA Rapidash (I'm on sword). Also, they give unusual rewards, like Sweet Apple and a fossil from Rapidash and 3 out of 4 fossils from Indeedee.

Last edited:
While the corona virus is no doubt going to impact development, I wouldn't be surprised if Armor still makes June. It is likely a smaller thing to develop and is probably pretty far along and may even be close to its final stages; hard to say for sure without an update but I don't know if it'll be impacted. It's still business as usual at certain companies or just working from home where applicable; even Sakurai & his team are still working on the new fighters its just the presentation for a different fighter to their parent company had to be delayed because of travel precautions.

Crown Tundra, on the other hand, I can see being delayed. It is probably not as further along in development and if you're going to reign in anything it's probably that so your closer obligation is out the door and it is very possibel for the coronavirus to still be an issue months down the road that requires even harsher isolation policies.

Unrelated news: raids have shifted officially.

A bunch of rare mons are appearing (Darumaka, Pincurchin, Version Exclusives). My anecdotal evidence also suggests that HAs are more frequent.

As of last night I already encountered Electric Surge Pincurchin, Psychic Surge Indeedee (2 out of 2), and I just completed an HA Rapidash (I'm on sword). Also, they give unusual rewards, like Sweet Apple and a fossil from Rapidash and 3 out of 4 fossils from Indeedee.
Looking at the drop tables the theme is "rare, often VE items". Every battle hs a chance to drop al 4 fossils, with the most common fossils being the rarer ones in your version (ie: everyone has a grater chance of dropping the drake & fish fossils in Sword while the bird & dino fossils are rarer). There's also the appropriate apples, curry stuffs and an assortment of high value sellables.

Crown Tundra, on the other hand, I can see being delayed. It is probably not as further along in development and if you're going to reign in anything it's probably that so your closer obligation is out the door and it is very possibel for the coronavirus to still be an issue months down the road that requires even harsher isolation policies.
Crown Tundra still has a vague "Fall" release date, maybe they plan to release it by September in their internal roadmap, but are forced to delay it to November, and we would be none the wiser. I expect this to be a standard for this period of quarantine, we won't get definite release dates for anything for a while.

Crown Tundra still has a vague "Fall" release date, maybe they plan to release it by September in their internal roadmap, but are forced to delay it to November, and we would be none the wiser. I expect this to be a standard for this period of quarantine, we won't get definite release dates for anything for a while.
On the eShop, the date has been marked as November since reveal.

On the eShop, the date has been marked as November since reveal.
That'd just be standard practice though. When a interval is given as "release date", sellers generally use the last possible date with the "will be released at day X or earlier".

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Yeah I should have been more specific, I know later DLC and games still in development may be delayed but I really doubt that Armor Isles has a significant amount of development left, and I think we can still expect news from it.

Quick question, will Calyrex be usable in Ranked battles or do we not know that info at the moment?
They haven't said anything about it, we just know that Urshifu will be usable. It's possibel we'll know more when they feel like talking more about Tundra later this year.

Personally I would say no. I have a feeling that Calyrex with its lore importance and the way it carries itself will probably be a 670+ monster and left out of ranked fun while Urshifu will probably be 600 BST.

Personally I would say no. I have a feeling that Calyrex with its lore importance and the way it carries itself will probably be a 670+ monster and left out of ranked fun while Urshifu will probably be 600 BST.
Considering the precedents (Rayquaza, Necrozma) I would expect yes.
Usually the "non usable in VGC" is limited to mythicals and event-only pokemon. Sure, he might be obviously limited to the restricted year (3rd cycle), but I expect Calyrex to be usable.

Urshifu on other hand will likely be a standard unrestricted legendary so usable right away.

Considering the precedents (Rayquaza, Necrozma) I would expect yes.
Usually the "non usable in VGC" is limited to mythicals and event-only pokemon. Sure, he might be obviously limited to the restricted year (3rd cycle), but I expect Calyrex to be usable.

Urshifu on other hand will likely be a standard unrestricted legendary so usable right away.
They said Ranked so I assumed this question was pertaining to genreal ranked play and not specifically Year 3 Anything (Ish) Goes VGC

The dogs I think come from outside of Galar to begin with and probably centuries after Calyrex was ruling Galar so probably unrelated, though it's possible it called out to them when Darkest Day happened I guess.

"Hey guys, for the stinger at the end of the Direct, we thought we'd give you no news except some new frames and also that there's an early purchase-exclusive outfit. Have fun!"
To be fair, we got news on how Kubfu's form is determined, and on what the G-Max moves for the Galar starters do. We also know they have increased power relative to standard Dynamax moves, which I think is a first? It's not exactly earth-shattering, but it isn't nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)