Tauros (update)

[Overview]

<p>Tauros is the one of the most powerful Pokemon in RBY OU, and by far, the most dangerous one. Normal is the best offensive type in OU, with no real weaknesses (as Fighting-type attacks are almost never seen in OU) and two powerful STAB physical attacks in Body Slam and Hyper Beam. Tauros boasts a great 298 Attack stat and a great Speed stat, which leaves him outrun only by Alakazam, Starmie, Jolteon, and Persian, all of whom are fragile. Moreover, said high Speed stat gives Tauros a critical hit rate of 21.4%, making him even more dangerous. Tauros's defensive stats are also respectable, and, along with his typing and attacking options, allows him to go one-on-one against almost every Pokemon in the game if necessary. This makes Tauros a good Pokemon to fall back on defensively late in the game when none of your other remaining Pokemon stand a chance against a certain threat
, such as opposing Tauros, Snorlax, Zapdos, Persian, or Jolteon. Due to the offensive and defensive impact he has, Tauros can potentially clean up injured teams and sometimes turn the tables on lost games with a little luck. However, Tauros should be saved for the end, or only be sent in early to capitalize on weakened or sleeping opponents. All in all, Tauros should be an automatic entry when making a competitive RBY OU team.</p>

[SET]
name: Standard
move 1: Body Slam
move 2: Hyper Beam
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Blizzard

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is one of the most well-known sets in Pokemon history, or at least it was when RBY was famous. Body Slam is Tauros's main attack; it reaches a nice 127 Base Power after STAB, and packs not only Tauros's critical hit rate of over 20%, but also a 30% chance of paralysis. Hyper Beam is almost twice as powerful, reaching 225 Base Power taking STAB into account, but it should generally be used as a finisher move to avoid the recharge turn. A one-two of Body Slam followed by Hyper Beam can do over 75% to the majority of the RBY metagame, making Tauros able to 2HKO most Pokemon at full health if he scores a critical hit. It is further worth noting that a critical hit Hyper Beam alone can net Tauros OHKOs, so it can also be used as a last-resort move if you have no other choice.</p>

<p>The last two moves provide Tauros with type coverage. Earthquake lets Tauros 2HKO Gengar, who is immune to Normal-type attacks and takes special attacks with ease. It also hits Jolteon for super effective damage. Furthermore, Earthquake is useful for checking Pokemon that use Counter, such as Chansey, while still dealing good damage to her. Lastly, Blizzard allows Tauros to 2HKO Golem and Rhydon, and also hits Exeggutor and Zapdos slightly harder than Body Slam does.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>First of all, if opting for any of the following moves, use them over Earthquake or Blizzard. Golem and Rhydon are generally more important to cover than Gengar; however, dropping Earthquake leaves Tauros completely worthless against Gengar, while if Tauros forgoes Blizzard, he will still be able to 3HKO Golem and Rhydon with Earthquake.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt and Thunder are Tauros's best options against Cloyster, who only takes around 22% from Body Slam. Thunder 2HKOes Cloyster, but Thunderbolt also 2HKOes him after Body Slam. You should only consider this change if partial-trapping moves are allowed though, as Cloyster is otherwise very uncommon. Substitute is an interesting option on Tauros, as a common way to deal with him is to sacrifice a low health or sleeping Pokemon to him, so that something else can switch in without taking a hit. However, getting a Substitute up is not as game-breaking as it might seem, as Substitute does not block status moves such as Thunder Wave and Sleep Powder in RBY, and almost all Pokemon, including Chansey, can break Tauros's Substitutes in one shot.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Tauros is the most dangerous and threatening Pokemon in OU, and there is very little that can counter him. Some Water- or Ice-types, such as Lapras, Slowbro, Articuno, and especially Cloyster, are bulky enough to take a few hits, but they need to be at maximum health or a critical hit Body Slam could put them into the KO range of Hyper Beam. If healthy, Exeggutor and Starmie can try to switch into Tauros and threaten him with paralysis-inducing moves. Exeggutor in particular is decently bulky, while Starmie is one of the few Pokemon able to outspeed Tauros, but it's more fragile and risks being paralyzed by Body Slam. Snorlax makes a semi-reliable Tauros check, as Snorlax can deal good damage to almost anything that switches in, forcing Tauros to stay in. Snorlax can also use Counter to deal upwards of 80% to Tauros, though Hyper Beam will hurt. Zapdos can threaten Tauros with Thunder Wave and STAB Thunderbolt, which will cripple Tauros before going down if forced to stay in, or even if Tauros wins that match-up.</p>

<p>Chansey and Alakazam have no business switching into Tauros, but they can threaten him with Thunder Wave. In fact, despite the high amounts of damage they will take from Body Slam, it is highly recommended they stay in for the Thunder Wave, as a paralyzed Tauros is a lot easier to handle. Alakazam can also outspeed Tauros and hit it hard with STAB Psychic though, so that may be another way to deal with him.
Packing Counter on Chansey is another way to deal with Tauros, as she always OHKOs Tauros if she Counters a Body Slam. Like Snorlax, however, countering a Hyper Beam will be tough, as it can possibly OHKO her.Golem, Rhydon, and Gengar can come into a predicted Body Slam; while they are 2HKOed by Blizzard or Earthquake, they might be able to bait a resisted move for a Water-type Pokemon or Exeggutor to switch into.</p>

<p>Since most of Tauros's checks require full health when trying to switch in, sometimes there will be nothing on your team that can take a Body Slam. When playing against Tauros, you should be prepared to let a weakened Pokemon die, as sacrificing the least relevant Pokemon lets you switch in another one safely. In fact, you might find that your own Tauros is the most reliable answer to your opponent's. You have probably kept your Tauros healthy for the late-game as well, and as such, it might happen to be your only Pokemon that stands a chance against the foe's Tauros.</p>

I agree that Tauros is the most powerful Pokémon in OU, but I have a qualm with two things in this overview:

1) You vastly overrate Tauros's ability to switch in, in my opinion. While it is true that Tauros has no weakness, he actually loses to the majority of OU 1 on 1. If you switch into a fresh Chansey, Alakazam, or Starmie, you're only getting yourself paralyzed while they can switch out and heal off damage later. Golem, Exeggutor, and Snorlax can all greatly damage him, crippling him with paralysis or sleep and even blowing him up with Explosion / Selfdestruct. Truly, the only somewhat good match ups are Jynx (if something is sleeping already, and note that a STAB Blizzard still hurts like hell), Gengar (hope you win the speed tie or you'll get blown up), and perhaps Rhydon (just because it lacks Explosion, but you're still risking being hurt hard by his STAB moves).

tl;dr: Tauros is no Snorlax. It can't switch in, take a hit, and retaliate. It is a late game sweeper and should be played as such. You said it in the end, but you should underline this fact much more than you're currently doing.

2) Technically, Tauros is NOT a must. It is very good, you rarely go wrong if you include him, but he is not a must. Certainly not in the same vein of Chansey. You can build a good team without Tauros (I know I did), and not only be good, but even to the point you can say each of your six mons is a better choice than Tauros for some reason. So I'd slightly change that bit, too.

EDIT: I didn't mean to say Chansey is better than Tauros. But it is true that replacing Chansey is harder than replacing Tauros on any given RBY OU team.

I didnt meant to say switching into anything. Just that Tauros can match up well against almost everything 1on1. If you are for exaple lacking options against exeggutor late in the game because chansey, alakazam etc all died, then Tauros will generally guarantee a trade at the very least, because your opponent will rarely be able to switch something into tauros no matter how impactful his eggy may be. That's pretty much what I meant to say, so sorry if my words didn't mean this...

Not to mention the tauros dittos you try to force when you are winning; this is a defensive use imo, rather than an offensive.

And Tauros is actually better than Chansey. Sure you can make a good rby team without Tauros, win most of your battles etc, but you can still make a better team with it.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
2) Technically, Tauros is NOT a must. It is very good, you rarely go wrong if you include him, but he is not a must. Certainly not in the same vein of Chansey. You can build a good team without Tauros (I know I did), and not only be good, but even to the point you can say each of your six mons is a better choice than Tauros for some reason. So I'd slightly change that bit, too.
I'd disagree here. Technically speaking, no pokemon is a "must" so feel free to use whatever you want. That said, Tauros will always, always help improve your odds of winning an RBY match in some way, shape or form.

You can certainly slot in other pokemon to fill its role as a cleaner-type mon (Dragonite/Zapdos/Persian/Jolteon/Dodrio/etc) but Tauros is the total package. Those other pokemon I listed have some sort of downside. Run down, fragment sentence: Zapdos/Dodrio are walled by Rhydon/Golem, Jolteon does have Double Kick but that's not in the same league against the Rock-Grounds as Tauros's Blizzard is, Persian is faster but frailer and walled by Gengar. I'd say the closest Tauros "replacement" is Dragonite and it really needs either paralysis support or an Agility before it gets going (and even then, you'll need Wrap to hit consistently). You get the idea. Tauros has the best shot at beating anything head on that gives its STAB attacks issues, minimizing definitive type counters as much as possible. That distinction is what sets it apart from the other substitutions. It's just blessed with the right combination of stats, typing and movepool that, in that sense, it's as close to a "must use" as you can get.

tl;dr: Tauros is no Snorlax. It can't switch in, take a hit, and retaliate. It is a late game sweeper and should be played as such. You said it in the end, but you should underline this fact much more than you're currently doing.
I don't think the OP meant to imply that anyone can just send in Tauros to take a hit and expect to have an instant victory. You still have to be cognizant of paralysis and be smart about when you bring it in. You're right, Tauros is not Snorlax but they also don't occupy the same niche because of it, as mentioned. Agreed, I think the interpretation of "a good Pokemon to fall back in defensively when fighting something your team is having problems" in the OP needs to be reworded to make the meaning clearer. Tauros can be used as a last ditch offensive weapon to help swing the match but the wording doesn't convey that message at all.

Tauros, Snorlax, Exeggutor, Lapras, Zapdos, Golem etc. These aren't very good matchups for Tauros but they aren't so bad either. 1 on 1, as a last resort, Tauros will either beat them, or at least will generally weaken them to the point that they aren't threatening anymore. Much like Snorlax in this sense.

I think the interpretation of "a good Pokemon to fall back in defensively when fighting something your team is having problems" in the OP needs to be reworded to make the meaning clearer. Tauros can be used as a last ditch offensive weapon to help swing the match but the wording doesn't convey that message at all.
This is more or less what I tried to say.

As for the analysis, it looks ok to me, save for the mention about how Hyper Beam works. Anyone reading the analysis should know about this mechanic difference, and otherwise, a specific Pokémon analysis is not the place to explain it. The last thing we'd like to see, I think, is half the RBY analyses explaining Hyper beam has no recharge upon a kill (as this is, more or less, the number of analyses mentioning Hyper Beam in one way or another). The same thing goes for Substitute in OO.

Also, perhaps you should put slightly more emphasis on how the OO stuff is badly outclassed by the main set. I know those moves are OO for a reason, but I think you should just underline it a bit more. Just like the current analysis does:

Realistically though, Tauros should always stick to the set mentioned above because it's the best available set, as it hurts just about everything; giving up one of these four moves makes him more counterable, which is the last thing you want.

I will try to finish this tomorrow; make the counters section, and re-check everything else. Thanks for your comments.

[Overview]

<p>Tauros is the most powerful Pokemon in RBY OU, and by far, the most dangerous one. Normal is the best offensive type in OU, with no weaknesses <this isn't exactly a plus for offense-related, though?> and two powerful STAB physical attacks in Body Slam and Hyper Beam. Tauros boasts a pretty good 298 aAttack stat and a great sSpeed stat, onlywhich leaves him outrun only by Alakazam, Starmie, Jolteon, and Persian, all of whichom are fragile and take more than 40% from a single hit. Moreover, thesaid high sSpeed stat gives Tauros a pretty good critical hit rate, making him even more dangerous. Tauros's defensive stats are also respectable, whichand, along with his typing and his attacking options, allows him to go 1 on 1one-on-one against almost every Pokemon in the game if necessary, making. This makes him a good Pokemon to fall back ion defensively when fighting something your team is having problems against, likeup against a problematic threat to your team, such as opposing Tauros. However, dDue to the impact he genercan potentially makes late in the game being able to-game by turning the tables on lost games with a little luck, Tauros ishowever, Tauros should usually be saved for the end, or only sending himbe sent in earlier to capitalize on low health or sleeping Pokemonweakened or sleeping opponents. All in all, Tauros should be an automatic entry when making a competitive RBY OU team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is one of the most well-known sets in Pokemon history, or at least it was when RBY was famous. Body Slam is your main attack. With STABTauros's main attack; it reaches a nice 127 bBase pPower after STAB, and packs not only a 30% chance of paralysis and a chance of scoring, but also a critical hit rate of over 20%. Hyper Beam is even more powerful, doing almost double the damage than Body Slam, as italmost twice as powerful, reachesing 225 bBase pPower taking STAB into account. Hyper Beam is, but it should generally be used as a finisher move to avoid the recharge turn. A one-two of Body Slam followed by Hyper Beam can do over 75% to the majority of the RBY metagame, making Tauros able to 2HKO most Pokemon at full health if he scores a critical hit. It is alsofurther worth noting that a critical hit Hyper Beam alone can net Tauros OHKOs, so it can also be used as a last -resort move when you are about to losif you have no other choice.</p>

<p>The last two moves are meant to provide Tauros with type coverage. Earthquake lets Tauros 2HKO Gengar, who is immune to Normal-type moves and takes special attacks with ease, and also hits Jolteon for super- effective damage. Furthermore, Earthquake is also useful for checking Counter on Pokemon, mostPokemon that use Counter, most especially Chansey, while still dealing good damage to her. Lastly, Blizzard allows Tauros to 2HKO Golem and Rhydon, and can also hits Exeggutor and Zapdos slightly more damage than Body Slam to Exeggutor and Zapharder than Body Slam does.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Pokemon likesuch as Chansey, Exeggutor, Starmie or, and Alakazam can provide consistent defensive coverage against some of the most -used Pokemon in RBY, includingespecially those that Tauros will probably be runnswitching out from, namely <who?>. They can also spread differenta variety of statuses to your opponent's team, easing aTauros's potential late -game sweep with Tauros. Snorlax, Golem, and Rhydon can give your team an extra physical offensive punch, letting you wear your opponent's team down more quickly.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>First of all, if you are going to useopting for any of the following moves, you should use ituse them over Earthquake or Blizzard. Golem and Rhydon are generally more important to cover than Gengar; however, dropping Earthquake leaves youTauros completely worthless against Gengar, while if youTauros forgoes Blizzard you, it will still be able to 3HKO Golem and Rhydon with Earthquake.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt and Thunder are Tauros's best moves to fighoptions against Cloyster, who only takes around 22% from Body Slam. Thunder 2HKOes Cloyster, but Thunderbolt still 2HKOes him after a Body Slam. You should only consider using a Electric-type attackthis change if partial-trapping moves are allowed though, as otherwise Cloyster Cloyster is otherwise very uncommon. Substitute is an interesting option on Tauros, sinceas a common way to deal with him is to sendacrifice a low health or sleeping Pokemon to sacrifice it, so that something else can switch-in into Tauros in without taking a hit. However, getting a Substitute up is not as gamebreaking as it mayight seem, as paralysis and sleep inducing moves like Thunder Wave and Sleep Powder can statuse a Pokemon behind a Substitute in RBY, and almost every PokemonSubstitute does not block status moves such as Thunder Wave and Sleep Powder in RBY, and almost all Pokemon, including Chansey, can break Tauros's Substitutes in one shot, including Chansey.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Tauros is the most dangerous and threatening Pokemon in OU, and there is very little you can do when trying to counter him. Water Pokemon likethat can counter him. Water-types, such as Lapras, Slowbro, Articuno, and especially Cloyster, are bulky enough to take a few hits from Tauros, but they can't really switch into him unless they are very healthy. T, because they are all slower, and a single Body Slam critical hit can do up to 50% damage to them, almosttake off about half their health, putting them in the KO range of Hyper Beam. AIf healthy Starmie or, Exeggutor can alsod Starmie can try to switch into Tauros and threaten him with their paralysis -inducing moves. Exeggutor is also prettn particular is decently bulky, andwhile Starmie is one of the few Pokemon able to outspeed Tauros, but it's more fragile and risks being paralyzed by Body Slam. Snorlax is a 50/50 matchup more than anything, but sincebeats Tauros only about half the time <is this rephrase right?>, but as Snorlax can often deal good amounts of damage to whatever Pokemon your opponent may want to senddamage to almost anything that switches in, he can sometimes force Tauros to stay in.</p>

<p>Chansey and Alakazam have no bussiness switching into Tauros, but they can threaten him with Thunder Wave. In fact, despite the high amounts of damage Chansey or Alakazamthey will take from a Body Slam, it is highly recommended tohey stay in for the Thunder Wave, as if youa paralyze him,d Tauros becomeis a lot easier to handle. Golem, Rhydon, and Gengar can come into a predicted Body Slam. T; while they are 2HKOed by Blizzard or Earthquake though, but they may allow you to send, they might be able to bait a resisted move for a Water-type Pokemon or Exeggutor into a resisted moveswitch into, unless you get outpredicted.</p>

<p>However, sinceas these checks need to be healthy to be able to switch into Tauros, you will often find yourself without nothing capable of switching into a Body Slam, so there are some instances where you will just have to let whatever. When playing against Tauros, you should be prepared to let a weakened Pokemon you have in die, oras sacrificeing the least relevant Pokemon to be able tolets you switch in another one safely. You willIn fact, you might find that your own Tauros is often the most reliable answer to himyour opponent's. As your opponent did, you have probably kept your Tauros healthy for the late game, and as such, it canmight happen to be your only Pokemon able tothat stands a chance against his Tauros.</p>

gp approved 1/2

[Overview]

<p>Tauros is the most powerful Pokemon in RBY OU, and by far, the most dangerous one. Normal is the best offensive type in OU, with no weaknesses <this isn't exactly a plus for offense-related, though?> and two powerful STAB physical attacks in Body Slam and Hyper Beam. Tauros boasts a pretty good 298 Attack stat and a great Speed stat, which leaves him outrun only by Alakazam, Starmie, Jolteon, and Persian, all of whom are fragile and take more than 40% from a single hit. Moreover, said high Speed stat gives Tauros a pretty good critical hit rate, making him even more dangerous. Tauros's defensive stats are also respectable, and, along with his typing and attacking options, allows him to go one-on-one against almost every Pokemon in the game if necessary. This makes him a good Pokemon to fall back on defensively when up against a problematic threat to your team, such as opposing Tauros. Due to the impact he can potentially make late-game by turning the tables on lost games with a little luck, however, Tauros should usually be saved for the end, or only be sent in earlier to capitalize on weakened or sleeping opponents. All in all, Tauros should be an automatic entry when making a competitive RBY OU team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is one of the most well-known sets in Pokemon history, or at least it was when RBY was famous. Body Slam is Tauros's main attack; it reaches a nice 127 Base Power after STAB, and packs not only a 30% chance of paralysis, but also a critical hit rate of over 20%. Hyper Beam is almost twice as powerful, reaching 225 Base Power taking STAB into account, but it should generally be used as a finisher move to avoid the recharge turn. A one-two of Body Slam followed by Hyper Beam can do over 75% to the majority of the RBY metagame, making Tauros able to 2HKO most Pokemon at full health if he scores a critical hit. It is further worth noting that a critical hit Hyper Beam alone can net Tauros OHKOs, so it can also be used as a last-resort move if you have no other choice.</p>

<p>The last two moves provide Tauros with type coverage. Earthquake lets Tauros 2HKO Gengar, who is immune to Normal-type moves and takes special attacks with ease, and also hits Jolteon for super effective damage. Furthermore, Earthquake is useful for checking Pokemon that use Counter, most especially Chansey, while still dealing good damage to her. Lastly, Blizzard allows Tauros to 2HKO Golem and Rhydon, and also hits Exeggutor and Zapdos slightly harder than Body Slam does.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Pokemon such as Chansey, Exeggutor, Starmie, and Alakazam can provide consistent defensive coverage against some of the most-used Pokemon in RBY, especially those that Tauros will probably be switching out from, namely <who?>. They can also spread a variety of status to your opponent's team, easing Tauros's potential late-game sweep. Snorlax, Golem, and Rhydon can give your team an extra physical offensive punch, letting you wear your opponent's team down more quickly.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>First of all, if opting for any of the following moves, use them over Earthquake or Blizzard. Golem and Rhydon are generally more important to cover than Gengar; however, dropping Earthquake leaves Tauros completely worthless against Gengar, while if Tauros forgoes Blizzard, it will still be able to 3HKO Golem and Rhydon with Earthquake.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt and Thunder are Tauros's best options against Cloyster, who only takes around 22% from Body Slam. Thunder 2HKOes Cloyster, but Thunderbolt still 2HKOes him after Body Slam. You should only consider this change if partial-trapping moves are allowed though, as Cloyster is otherwise very uncommon. Substitute is an interesting option on Tauros, as a common way to deal with him is to sacrifice a low health or sleeping Pokemon to it, so that something else can switch in without taking a hit. However, getting a Substitute up is not as gamebreaking as it might seem, as Substitute does not block status moves such as Thunder Wave and Sleep Powder in RBY, and almost all Pokemon, including Chansey, can break Tauros's Substitutes in one shot.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Tauros is the most dangerous and threatening Pokemon in OU, and there is very little that can counter him. Water-types, such as Lapras, Slowbro, Articuno, and especially Cloyster, are bulky enough to take a few hits, but they can't really switch into him unless they are very healthy, because they are all slower, and a single Body Slam critical hit can take off about half their health, putting them in the KO range of Hyper Beam. If healthy, Exeggutor and Starmie can try to switch into Tauros and threaten him with paralysis-inducing moves. Exeggutor in particular is decently bulky, while Starmie is one of the few Pokemon able to outspeed Tauros, but it's more fragile and risks being paralyzed by Body Slam. Snorlax beats Tauros only about half the time <is this rephrase right?>, but as Snorlax can deal good damage to almost anything that switches in, he can sometimes force Tauros to stay in.</p>

<p>Chansey and Alakazam have no business switching into Tauros, but they can threaten him with Thunder Wave. In fact, despite the high amounts of damage they will take from Body Slam, it is highly recommended they stay in for the Thunder Wave, as a paralyzed Tauros is a lot easier to handle. Golem, Rhydon, and Gengar can come into a predicted Body Slam; while they are 2HKOed by Blizzard or Earthquake, they might be able to bait a resisted move for a Water-type Pokemon or Exeggutor to switch into, unless you get outpredicted.</p>

<p>However, as these checks need to be healthy to be able to switch into Tauros, you will often find yourself with nothing capable of switching into a Body Slam. When playing against Tauros, you should be prepared to let a weakened Pokemon die, as sacrificing the least relevant Pokemon lets you switch in another one safely. In fact, you might find that your own Tauros is the most reliable answer to your opponent's. As your opponent did, you have probably kept your Tauros healthy for the late game, and as such, it might happen to be your only Pokemon that stands a chance against his Tauros.</p>

ETA @ Hipmonlee: I didn't double-check any of the calculations; I sort of assumed they were all correct. I don't really know much of anything about RBY, so I'll leave that part to the OP / people who do, haha. The AC should include suggested teammates that work well with Tauros, so I think what's there is not entirely irrelevant, but you do have a point - maybe that needs to be made more obvious.

as for the critical hit thing, I tried rephrasing the first SET COMMENTS paragraph a little (relevant bits underlined) - does this work better?
Body Slam is Tauros's main attack, which reaches a nice 127 Base Power after STAB, and also packs a handy 30% chance of paralysis. Hyper Beam is almost twice as powerful, reaching 225 Base Power taking STAB into account, but it should generally be used as a finisher move to avoid the recharge turn. As a one-two of Body Slam followed by Hyper Beam can do over 75% to the majority of the RBY metagame, Tauros is able to 2HKO most Pokemon at full health if he scores a critical hit, which, thanks to his high Speed, will happen more than 20% of the time.
also, thanks for your critique!

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I havent read sirndpt's grammar check, he may have covered some of this.

Starmie doesnt take 40% from Tauros, unless you mean Hyperbeam, which I dont think you should.

You say bodyslam ches over 20% of the time, but I think it would be better to say that Tauros ches over 20% of the time.

The hyperbeam ch koing Tauros seems kinda strange, perhaps it would be best to say that hyperbeam ching can ohko most pokemon.

The additional comments are a bit odd. They dont actually say anything about Tauros. I would just get rid of them.

You say water pokemon like articuno.

I'm busy until Friday, i'll be back on this at weekend

Starmie: yeah done. I thought it was 34-40, i think i mistakened it with Snorlax's slam.
CH Slam: done
Hbeam ch: I actually wanted to mean that hb ch from Tauros can net him kOes, rather than that it can net kOes on Tauroses. Idk if what i said meant that though.
AC: Guess you mean the first paragraph aka the team options section right? I thought that was "mandatory", otherwise yea its redundant, I just mentioned standard stuff. It's like making the same thing for GSC snorlax.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
yeah team options are a requirement in updating old analyses and should be in AC, since that's probably the main thing that the old ones are missing from being on par with the DPP/BW ones.

What's there is a bit skimpy but it's fine, at least now the analysis is beefier than what's onsite atm.

Our analyses should be teaching new people looking in getting into the metagame, not just telling people that are already experienced in the metagame on the best sets of mons.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Ok, if you need team mate information for Tauros, I think it would be better to explain that Tauros is great regardless of teammates, it really doesnt need any support to dominate RBY..

Ok having reread your post, I think you are hinting that team mate information is what is missing from our RBY analyses, which is really, really not the problem with our RBY analyses. Teammate info just isnt useful information in an RBY context, and shouldnt be included in the analyses. The problem with the current RBY analyses is their lack of good advice. If the additional comments section is there just to explain teammate information in this case, it definitely needs to be removed entirely.

<this isn't exactly a plus for offense-related, though?>
Defense and offense are extremely connected. The most important thing for being offensively good is being physical, then having good defensive stats/typing is pretty much as important as having good ofensive stats/moves.

Pokemon such as Chansey, Exeggutor, Starmie, and Alakazam can provide consistent defensive coverage against some of the most-used Pokemon in RBY, especially those that Tauros will probably be switching out from, namely <who?>
Actually it depends more on the situation of the battle and other things that on the pokemon themselves. If you send Tauros early-mid game to revenge kill something, you will (almost) always switch out against whatever your opponent sends out next (as it will likely be healthy enough and able to hit Tauros hard or status him). Unless maybe if he sends his Tauros.

EDIT: The OP shows the analysis after Sirndpt's edit. In red, things I'd remove (including the team options section as it's redundant), and in blue some things I added/modified that need to be re-checked.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Ok, if you need team mate information for Tauros, I think it would be better to explain that Tauros is great regardless of teammates, it really doesnt need any support to dominate RBY..

Ok having reread your post, I think you are hinting that team mate information is what is missing from our RBY analyses, which is really, really not the problem with our RBY analyses. Teammate info just isnt useful information in an RBY context, and shouldnt be included in the analyses. The problem with the current RBY analyses is their lack of good advice. If the additional comments section is there just to explain teammate information in this case, it definitely needs to be removed entirely.
OK. Granted I don't play RBY so I have no idea of the team structure, if Tauros doesn't need teammates and teammate info isn't that useful for RBY then that's fine.

Also, I was saying that teammate information is generally what is missing for all of our old gen analyses (RBY/GSC/ADV) when you compare it to the DPP and BW analyses, since when building a team from a newer generation's perspective you want to know what works well with what when making a team. If you can just throw Tauros on most any team and be gold, then I think that needs to be mentioned if hasn't been said so already.

The point is, how do you make teammate info for something that is on 100% of the teams and packs the same set 99% of the time?

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Normal is the best offensive type in OU, with no weaknesses and two powerful STAB physical attacks in Body Slam and Hyper Beam.
This is technically false, since Fighting-types do exist; people unfamiliar to the metagame may take you literally. I would re-phrase "no weakness" with "only a single weakness to the virtually non-existent Fighting-types" or something similar.
Moreover, said high Speed stat gives Tauros a pretty good critical hit rate, making him even more dangerous.
Pretty good? More like PHENOMENAL, as its high CH is what makes RBY Tauros (and Starmie and Alakazam) so deadly in the first place. An overview would be an appropriate place to specify Tauros's CH rate, which is 21%. Specific number > vague expression.
Some aquatics (?), such as Lapras, Slowbro, Articuno, and especially Cloyster, are bulky enough to take a few hits, but they can't really switch into him unless they are very healthy, because they are all slower, and a single Body Slam critical hit can take off about half their health, putting them in the KO range of Hyper Beam.
Just remove Articuno from the list and give it a separate sentence somewhere. Aquatics is a very vague term, so refer to them as Water-types.
Snorlax beats Tauros only about half the time, but as Snorlax can also deal good damage to almost anything that switches in, he can sometimes force Tauros to stay in.
I would give a special mention of Counter Snorlax, which allows a full-health Lax to 2HKO Tauros, while Tauros cannot attempt the 3-4HKO. Snorlax can comfortably switch into a predicted Hyper Beam and Counter OHKO Tauros on the recharge turn.
Lastly, Zapdos's well rounded stats along with his ability to hit Tauros hard with STAB Thunderbolts and paralyze him, lets Zapdos stand a good chance against Tauros one-on-one.
From my personal experience, Zapdos will lose the 1 vs 1 match more often than not. Zapdos fails to 2HKO while Tauros 3HKOs Zapdos. All it takes is a well-timed crit for Zapdos to be fucked. If you want to give it a mention anyways, make sure to stress that its a shaky check.
------------------------

Also, Reflect Zam is one of the very few mons who will almost always beat Tauros 1 vs 1, so I believe it deserves a mention here for its consistent performance. It's much better than Zapdos anyways.

I finally decided to add Zapdos there the other day, actually without considering it much. Zap's matchup vs Tauros is actually really similar to Exeggutor's (although Egg can explode). This is probably my point of view that during the late game, things that are often saved for the end like Tauros, Snorlax and Zapdos (only if your opponent isn't packing a rock), generally end up going 1on1 between them, and either both die, or one wins but the other almost always gets weakened to the point where it's easily revenge killed with your Tauros/Snorlax.

The problem with zam is that I didn't mention it, because 1. you are never going to switch into Tauros and 2. Alakazam can generally be neutralized. I mean, I know Zam is faster and can threaten to ko a weakened Tauros, but then, mons like Jolteon and Persian can do it too and they are more likely than Zam to force Tauros to stay in. However you are right, Alakazam stands a good chance against Tauros, but the difference with tau/lax/zap/bro/etc is that you can usually switch Tauros back against a Zam unless you are lacking chansey/psychics which means that Zam's ability to "counter" Tauros is reduced to the late game. Again, that's only my thinking, how I see the meta, but yeah ill mention reflect zam. (but btw, I think Zam has a better chance of beating Tauros 1on1 if he Psychics from turn 1)

Good point about counter though i completely forgot about counter, ill make a mention about it.

okay, let me know what you think about the last edit.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, I was definitely talking about late-game Reflect Zam, when the opponent's special sponges are no more. Many people use Zam liberally and get it paralyzed early-game, but those who save Zam for mid- to late-game get to abuse its exceptional sweeping capabilities.

Thanks for the changes, Crystal.

Approved

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
Tauros is the most dangerous and threatening Pokemon in OU, and there is very little that can counter him. Some Water or Ice-types, such as Lapras, Slowbro, Articuno, and especially Cloyster, are bulky enough to take a few hits, but they can't really switch into him unless they are very healthy, because they are all slower, and a single Body Slam critical hit can take off about half their health, putting them in the KO range of Hyper Beam.
This is a bit ambiguous, it could be taken to mean that a critical hit bodyslam will put these pokemon into ko range from full health. Something like, "they need to be at maximum health or a critical hit bodyslam could put them into ko range of hyperbeam" would be clearer.

Otherwise I am happy with this.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
don't worry Pocket, TrollFreak is on it (though he isn't on GP yet D:)

[Overview]

<p>Tauros is the most powerful Pokemon in RBY OU, and by far, the most dangerous one. (yea, 4 Pokemon have higher attack than Tauros, so i'm confused about this statement) Normal is the best offensive type in OU, with no real weaknesses (as fighting types Fighting-type moves attacks are almost never seen in OU) and two powerful STAB physical attacks in Body Slam and Hyper Beam. Tauros boasts a pretty good great 298 Attack stat and a great Speed stat, which leaves him outrun only by Alakazam, Starmie, Jolteon, and Persian, all of whom are fragile{Remove Space}. Moreover, said high Speed stat gives Tauros a critical hit rate of 21'.4%, making him even more dangerous. Tauros's defensive stats are also respectable, and, along with his typing and attacking options, allows him to go one-on-one against almost every Pokemon in the game if necessary. This makes him Tauros a good Pokemon to fall back on defensively late in the game when none of your other remaining Pokemon stand a chance against a certain threat
{Remove Space}, such as opposing Tauros, Snorlax, Zapdos, Persian, or Jolteon. Due to the offensive and defensive impact he has, Tauros can potentially make late-game by being able to clean up injured teams and sometimes turning the tables on lost games with a little luck,. However, Tauros should usually be saved for the end, or only be sent in earlier early to capitalize on weakened or sleeping opponents. All in all, Tauros should be an automatic entry when making a competitive RBY OU team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is one of the most well-known sets in Pokemon history, or at least it was when RBY was famous. Body Slam is Tauros's main attack; it reaches a nice 127 Base Power after STAB, and packs not only Tauros's critical hit rate of over 20%, but also a 30% chance of paralysis. Hyper Beam is almost twice as powerful, reaching 225 Base Power taking STAB into account, but it should generally be used as a finisher move to avoid the recharge turn. A one-two of Body Slam followed by Hyper Beam can do over 75% to the majority of the RBY metagame, making Tauros able to 2HKO most Pokemon at full health if he scores a critical hit. (wait, I thought Body Slam + Hyper Beam 2HKOs everything, do you really need the critical hit part?) It is further worth noting that a critical hit Hyper Beam alone can net Tauros OHKOs {OHKOs against what?}, so it can also be used as a last-resort move if you have no other choice.</p>

<p>The last two moves provide Tauros with type coverage. Earthquake lets Tauros 2HKO Gengar, who is immune to Normal-type
moves attacks and takes special attacks with ease,. and It also hits Jolteon for super effective damage. Furthermore, Earthquake is useful for checking Pokemon that use Counter, most especially such as Chansey, while still dealing good damage to her. Lastly, Blizzard allows Tauros to 2HKO Golem and Rhydon, and also hits Exeggutor and Zapdos slightly harder than Body Slam does.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>First of all, if opting for any of the following moves, use them over Earthquake or Blizzard. Golem and Rhydon are generally more important to cover than Gengar; however, dropping Earthquake leaves Tauros completely worthless against Gengar, while if Tauros forgoes Blizzard, it will still be able to 3HKO Golem and Rhydon with Earthquake.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt and Thunder are Tauros's best options against Cloyster, who only takes around 22% from Body Slam. Thunder 2HKOes Cloyster, but Thunderbolt still 2HKOes him after Body Slam. You should only consider this change if partial-trapping moves are allowed though, as Cloyster is otherwise very uncommon. Substitute is an interesting option on Tauros, as a common way to deal with him is to sacrifice a low health or sleeping Pokemon to him, so that something else can switch in without taking a hit. However, getting a Substitute up is not as gamebreaking as it might seem, as Substitute does not block status moves such as Thunder Wave and Sleep Powder in RBY, and almost all Pokemon, including Chansey, can break Tauros's Substitutes in one shot.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Tauros is the most dangerous and threatening Pokemon in OU, and there is very little that can counter him. Some Water or Ice-types, such as Lapras, Slowbro, Articuno, and especially Cloyster, are bulky enough to take a few hits, but they need to be at maximum health or a critical hit Body Slam could put them into ko the KO range of hyperbeam Hyper Beam. If healthy, Exeggutor and Starmie can try to switch into Tauros and threaten him with paralysis-inducing moves. Exeggutor in particular is decently bulky, while Starmie is one of the few Pokemon able to outspeed Tauros, but it's more fragile and risks being paralyzed by Body Slam. Snorlax beats makes a semi-reliable Tauros check, only about half the time, but as Snorlax can deal good damage to almost anything that switches in, he can sometimes forcing Tauros to stay in. Snorlax can also use Counter to deal upwards of 80% to Tauros, though Hyper Beam will hurt. Zapdos can threaten Tauros with Thunder Wave and STAB Thunderbolt, and which will cripple your Tauros before going down if you are forced to stay in, or even if Tauros wins that macth-up.</p>

<p>Chansey and Alakazam have no business switching into Tauros, but they can threaten him with Thunder Wave. In fact, despite the high amounts of damage they will take from Body Slam, it is highly recommended they stay in for the Thunder Wave, as a paralyzed Tauros is a lot easier to handle. Alakazam can also outspeed Tauros and hit him hard with STAB Psychic though, so that may be another way to deal with him.
Packing Counter on Chansey is another way to deal with Tauros, as she always OHKOs Tauros if she Counters a Body Slam. Like Snorlax, however, countering a Hyper Beam will be tough, as it can possibly OHKO her. Golem, Rhydon, and Gengar can come into a predicted Body Slam; while they are 2HKOed by Blizzard or Earthquake, they might be able to bait a resisted move for a Water-type Pokemon or Exeggutor to switch into, unless you get outpredicted. Packing Counter on Chansey or Snorlax can sometimes give a nasty surprise to Tauros. Snorlax can do over 80% if he manages to counter a Body Slam back, while Chansey will always OHKO Tauros. They can both try to switch into a predicted Hyper Beam as well, and Counter it back for the KO during Tauros's recharge turn, although both (especially Chansey) will take a lot of damage in the process and might be surprised by a Critical Hit Hyper Beam.</p>

<p>However, as these checks need to be healthy to be able to switch into Tauros, you will often find yourself with nothing capable of switching into a Body Slam. Since most of Tauros's checks require full health when trying to switch in, sometimes there will be nothing on your team that can take a Body Slam. When playing against Tauros, you should be prepared to let a weakened Pokemon die, as sacrificing the least relevant Pokemon lets you switch in another one safely. In fact, you might find that your own Tauros is the most reliable answer to your opponent's. As your opponent likely did, you have probably kept your Tauros healthy for the late game as well, and as such, it might happen to be your only Pokemon that stands a chance against his the foes Tauros.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Tauros is the most powerful Pokemon in RBY OU, and by far, the most dangerous one. (yea, 4 Pokemon have higher attack than Tauros, so i'm confused about this statement) Normal is the best offensive type in OU, with no real weaknesses (as Fighting-type attacks are almost never seen in OU) and two powerful STAB physical attacks in Body Slam and Hyper Beam. Tauros boasts a great 298 Attack stat and a great Speed stat, which leaves him outrun only by Alakazam, Starmie, Jolteon, and Persian, all of whom are fragile. Moreover, said high Speed stat gives Tauros a critical hit rate of 21.4%, making him even more dangerous. Tauros's defensive stats are also respectable, and, along with his typing and attacking options, allows him to go one-on-one against almost every Pokemon in the game if necessary. This makes Tauros a good Pokemon to fall back on defensively late in the game when none of your other remaining Pokemon stand a chance against a certain threat
, such as opposing Tauros, Snorlax, Zapdos, Persian, or Jolteon. Due to the offensive and defensive impact he has, Tauros can potentially clean up injured teams and sometimes turn the tables on lost games with a little luck. However, Tauros should be saved for the end, or only be sent in early to capitalize on weakened or sleeping opponents. All in all, Tauros should be an automatic entry when making a competitive RBY OU team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is one of the most well-known sets in Pokemon history, or at least it was when RBY was famous. Body Slam is Tauros's main attack; it reaches a nice 127 Base Power after STAB, and packs not only Tauros's critical hit rate of over 20%, but also a 30% chance of paralysis. Hyper Beam is almost twice as powerful, reaching 225 Base Power taking STAB into account, but it should generally be used as a finisher move to avoid the recharge turn. A one-two of Body Slam followed by Hyper Beam can do over 75% to the majority of the RBY metagame, making Tauros able to 2HKO most Pokemon at full health if he scores a critical hit. (wait, I thought Body Slam + Hyper Beam 2HKOs everything, do you really need the critical hit part?) It is further worth noting that a critical hit Hyper Beam alone can net Tauros OHKOs {OHKOs against what?}, so it can also be used as a last-resort move if you have no other choice.</p>

<p>The last two moves provide Tauros with type coverage. Earthquake lets Tauros 2HKO Gengar, who is immune to Normal-type
attacks and takes special attacks with ease. It also hits Jolteon for super effective damage. Furthermore, Earthquake is useful for checking Pokemon that use Counter, such as Chansey, while still dealing good damage to her. Lastly, Blizzard allows Tauros to 2HKO Golem and Rhydon, and also hits Exeggutor and Zapdos slightly harder than Body Slam does.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Thunderbolt and Thunder are Tauros's best options against Cloyster, who only takes around 22% from Body Slam. Thunder 2HKOes Cloyster, but Thunderbolt still 2HKOes him after Body Slam. You should only consider this change if partial-trapping moves are allowed though, as Cloyster is otherwise very uncommon. Substitute is an interesting option on Tauros, as a common way to deal with him is to sacrifice a low health or sleeping Pokemon to him, so that something else can switch in without taking a hit. However, getting a Substitute up is not as gamebreaking as it might seem, as Substitute does not block status moves such as Thunder Wave and Sleep Powder in RBY, and almost all Pokemon, including Chansey, can break Tauros's Substitutes in one shot.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Tauros is the most dangerous and threatening Pokemon in OU, and there is very little that can counter him. Some Water or Ice-types, such as Lapras, Slowbro, Articuno, and especially Cloyster, are bulky enough to take a few hits, but they need to be at maximum health or a critical hit Body Slam could put them into the KO range of Hyper Beam. If healthy, Exeggutor and Starmie can try to switch into Tauros and threaten him with paralysis-inducing moves. Exeggutor in particular is decently bulky, while Starmie is one of the few Pokemon able to outspeed Tauros, but it's more fragile and risks being paralyzed by Body Slam. Snorlax makes a semi-reliable Tauros check, as Snorlax can deal good damage to almost anything that switches in, forcing Tauros to stay in. Snorlax can also use Counter to deal upwards of 80% to Tauros, though Hyper Beam will hurt. Zapdos can threaten Tauros with Thunder Wave and STAB Thunderbolt, which will cripple Tauros before going down if forced to stay in, or even if Tauros wins that macth-up.</p>

<p>Chansey and Alakazam have no business switching into Tauros, but they can threaten him with Thunder Wave. In fact, despite the high amounts of damage they will take from Body Slam, it is highly recommended they stay in for the Thunder Wave, as a paralyzed Tauros is a lot easier to handle. Alakazam can also outspeed Tauros and hit it hard with STAB Psychic though, so that may be another way to deal with him.
Packing Counter on Chansey is another way to deal with Tauros, as she always OHKOs Tauros if she Counters a Body Slam. Like Snorlax, however, countering a Hyper Beam will be tough, as it can possibly OHKO her.Golem, Rhydon, and Gengar can come into a predicted Body Slam; while they are 2HKOed by Blizzard or Earthquake, they might be able to bait a resisted move for a Water-type Pokemon or Exeggutor to switch into.</p>

<p>Since most of Tauros's checks require full health when trying to switch in, sometimes there will be nothing on your team that can take a Body Slam. When playing against Tauros, you should be prepared to let a weakened Pokemon die, as sacrificing the least relevant Pokemon lets you switch in another one safely. In fact, you might find that your own Tauros is the most reliable answer to your opponent's. As your opponent likely did, you have probably kept your Tauros healthy for the late game as well, and as such, it might happen to be your only Pokemon that stands a chance against the foes Tauros.</p>

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
Other Options Paragraph 1 said:
while if Tauros forgoes Blizzard, it will still be able to 3HKO Golem and Rhydon with Earthquake.
"he" for gender consistency.

Other Options Paragraph 2 said:
Thunder 2HKOes Cloyster, but Thunderbolt still 2HKOes him after Body Slam.
IMO this isn't really necessary as it's fairly obvious who you're talking about. On second thought, keep "him" in and stick an "also" in place of "still."

Checks and Counters Paragraph 3 said:
As your opponent likely did, you have probably kept your Tauros healthy for the late game as well, and as such, it might happen to be your only Pokemon that stands a chance against the foe's Tauros.
These two lines are redundant; remove "As your opponent likely did" to make it simpler. Also there should be an apostrophe in "foe's."

Also, agreeing with the comments TF made in {Green}

GP (2/2)

with powerful I tried to mean the biggest threat.

Slam+Beam doesn't ko most things at full lealth.

{OHKOs against what?} Well, OHKOs in general I mean. Against pretty much anything that doesn't resist it (but then a CH Blizz/EQ would OHKO), bar 100% Cloyster, Slowbro and Lapras or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)