Challenge Team Azure: A Gen 3 Battle Tower Team

TEAM AZURE (GENERATION III)

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I picked up on anything battle related. While I have been working with my current G7 team consisting of Garchomp / Tapu Fini / Mega Scizor at 320 after a hiatus of around 1 year or so, I had also been working on doing some stuff in Generation III. To be more specific: Pokemon Emerald's Battle Frontier. I had been grinding BPs at the Battle Tower for the sole reason of earning enough BPs for the exclusive Gen 3 tutors you can buy at Emerald such as Counter, Soft-boiled and Seismic Toss. Gen 3 is also one of my personal favorites since some of my favorite Pokemon, such as Lati@s, Metagross, Salamence, Swampert and Blaziken originate from this generation. I should also add that I am a huge fan of Pokemon Colosseum and XD: Gales of Darnkess, to the point where I even fully immersed myself on how to RNG the Gamecube games. As a reference I have fully collected ribbons from all generations on Pokemon originated from there, such as my RNG abused Shiny Colosseum Suicune among others as well.

Now going back into topic: I present to you a finished streak at 323 wins with Latios / Suicune / Steelix at the Battle Tower in Pokemon Emerald. For those who know me, I'm the guy that hangs out at the Battle Tree Discord ranting about Gen 3 and my experience at Emerald's Battle Tower. I pretty much own the #frontier channel since I'm the one who mostly uses it whenever I am grinding wins at the Tower. For those that do not, the main reason why I am sharing this is precisely to destroy the myth of Generation III's Battle Tower being unbeatable because of the "insane amount of hax items" present at the Battle Frontier. Of course, the team is not invincible and it has its own flaws as well. However, I can say this is the most consistent Singles Battle Tower team I have ever used.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I first decided to plunge seriously into Gen 3 Battle Tower, I decided to use this team, which was based on the team Werster used for his Pokemon Emerald speedrun. It's one of the most perfectly balanced teams for Battle Tower and the fact that these three Pokemon can be easily obtainable in-game without needing to trade from other Gen 3 games, made it highly appealing to use. I decided to do Open Level at this point and since I had access to flawless versions of this Pokemon, I played around with the EVs to suit them to my own preferences. I got good results using Werster's team, however, it had a flaw on the long run which is being weak vs Water type Trainers (Swimmers, Fishermen, Sailors) who had a lot of Water/Ice types on their team, meaning that Latios could get easily overwhelmed since outside it, the team lacked proper answers to Water types.​

On my insatiable curiosity of trying more stuff, the next well known team I wanted to try out was Jumpman16's team of Choice Band Salamence, Suicune and Snorlax (It was his team, right?). This was a good opportunity for my Shiny RNG abused Colosseum Suicune to shine in here since this was perhaps the only "proven" Suicune team in Gen 3. Also I should mention that Suicune is one of my favorite Pokemon ever alongside Latios. This team was solid overall, however, it had a massive flaw of being weak to Banded Normal types such as Slaking and Ursaring who were pretty much claiming a kill if they ever showed up. Also, if Curse users managed to get a boost, Band Salamence stopped bieng a reliable answer to them. This is a damage calc on Snorlax 2 who carries Curse and Rock Slide: 252+ Atk Choice Band Salamence Brick Break vs. +1 170 HP / 170 Def Snorlax: 110-130 (42.9 - 50.7%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO. Don't get me wrong, I think this team was interesting, but I found it kind of underwhelming when trying to achieve +100 wins.​

I could say this version of the team was kind of inspired from my Gen 7 team with me using CB Flygon as a lead and Morning Sun SD Scizor. For those who do not know, Gales Scizor gets Morning Sun as a purify move, so I went ahead and RNG'd an Adamant Gales Scizor: 29-31-30-18-30-30 which yielded a 68 power Hidden Power Fighting. Now, for those who are not familiarized with Gamecube RNG, the spreads on certain shadow Pokemon are conditioned by Nature Locks which greatly limits the amount of possible spreads on a Shadow Pokemon. Also, against trainers with multiple shadow Pokemon, locking the 1st or 2nd shadow can also influence which spreads you can hit. The IVs are kinda disappointing, but this was the best HP Fighting Scizor I could get from Gales and use it as a pseudo-Gen 4 Scizor but without the priority Bullet Punch that makes it the monster it is well known for since Gen 4. The team did fairly well since I was consistently getting around 70-90 wins on each attempt. However, the team was highly vulnerable to almost all 8 sets of Lati@s that appeared at the Battle Tower and Alakazam shredded me into pieces. While Flygon was fortunately faster than Lati@s 8, which were the sets invested on Speed, even a Banded Hidden Power Bug only had a 12.5% chance to OHKO Latios, while Latias could easily laugh at the damage and KO back with Dragon Claw or Ice Beam. Scizor can handle them well, but it loses to critical hits and the occasional paralysis that can come from Latias carrying Thunder Wave or simply by spamming Thunderbolt. Scizor also needed a boost in order to kill HP invested Latios & Latios with a +2 Silver Wind.​

After being tired of getting parahaxed to death by Lati@s and Alakazam (because it happened a lot), I decided to go for a different direction. I decided to replace Flygon with Latios again mostly due to the fact that Latios can easily beat the other Lati@s in Frontier as long as they don't get a critical hit. Also, because of Scizor's initial lack of power and vulnerabilty to get CH'd and its x4 to Fire which made even meme sets such as Ursaring 3, I decided to go back into Banded Metagross. Originally, I didn't thought that the lack of Electric immunity would hurt this team much since Latios had the Lum Berry to protect itself from status ailments. Latios also performed nicely against Lanturn and Ampharos as Psychic 2HKO'd them most of the time. However, it all came down to shambles when I met this stupid thing:​
Jolteon4 | Timid | King's Rock | Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Bite, Shadow Ball | Volt Absorb | 0 / 0 / 0 /255/ 0 /255 |​
| Lv: 50 stats: 140/76/80/162/115/200 | Lv.100 stats: 271/149/156/319/226/394 |​
Just look at this set: King's Rock, the only Pokemon who uses 394 in Gen3, a move with a 30% chance of flinching the opponent. Complete bullsh*t set. From the 4 losses I had when using this team, 3 of them were caused by this big piece of sh*t. Bite flinched Latios to death making it unable to 2HKO it with Psychic, Thunderbolt/Thunder Wave would paralyze Metagross and 2HKO it, and after having its devilish deeds done, it didn't needed to sweat to finish off Suicune. Despite these results, they were two things clear: Latios & Suicune were pulling their own weight most of the time. I mean, we are talking about two of the most broken Pokemon in G3 and they were sweeping the opponent 75% of the time where Metagross was barely involved at all. The lack of Electric type immunity also hurted this team as Jolteon 4 can easily cheese through it with Emerald's broken RNG at its favor. I heavily considered going back to Flygon / Suicune and use Metagross as the 3rd team member, but the reason why I never used it was because CB Metagross spoiled me so much to the point where Flygon/Metagross would be competing for the item. Both miss some really important KOs without the Band, so I decided to look for another solution. The team performed decently well, gaining around 90-120 wins on average until Jolteon 4 decides to show up. I knew there was missing something, so I needed to be a bit creative and find a Pokemon that could glue both Latios & Suicune.​

With Latios and Suicune being able to clean the mayority of the Pokemon sets present in Gen 3, I need a team member that could be the glue of this team. A Pokemon whose typing could protect both Latios & Suicune. You don't even need to check Serebii or Smogon to know that the amount of Steel types in G3 was quite limited. I guess I kinda resigned myself to conform with ~100 wins until I was casually talking on my IRC channel with Zari. On IRC, he shared his idea of using Curse Steelix / Zapdos / Vaporeon team based on the perfect team synergy of its members. While I was talking to him, something clicked inside my head. What if I test Steelix as my final team member? Steelix is the only Pokemon in Gen 3 that possesses this Ground / Steel typing, which not only makes it immune to Electric moves but also grant it 9 resistances and two immunities overall, while only having 4 weaknesses which were complemented perfectly by Latios / Suicune. Latios resist the Fighting type attacks that Steelix doesn't wants to take, while being immune to Earthquake. On the other hand, Steelix resist Ghost, Dark, Dragon and Bug type attacks giving it a great matchup vs Pokemon like Scizor 2/3/4, Dusclops 2 and Absol 1/2, which are Pokemon that Latios doesn't want to face.​
I own plenty of save files in Gen 3 that are part of my RNG project and in one of my Fire Red save files, I had access to a H-1 spread that had slots 3, 5 and 11. Guess what? Victory Road Onix was available in slot 3 and it has access to a full 70 power HP Steel. After RNGing the Onix and trade evolving it, Steelix was ready to roll. My experience with G3 Curse users is terrible mostly due to the fact that they are so vulnerable to critical hits. When I used Snorlax, I wanted to scream every time it got nuked by a critical hit attack. Snorlax always moves last and because of this, you don't really know when it could be the right time to Rest, because an unexpected crit can easily overwhelm you and force to Rest or die easily by a strong crit. For this reason, I decided to test a Choice Band set specially taking into account that because of Steelix's average 85 base Attack, he was going to appreciate the extra power. After making the calculations, I can't say I feel disappointed by this decision specially considering that it was able to OHKO 170 HP Metagross from full health. While its Explosion was much weaker than Metagross' it was still strong enough to OHKO +1 Curselax, who would otherwise go ham on this team. The very first run ended at 123 which was very good at the same level of my runs using Werster's team. I lost to Latias 1 after being too greedy and CM 1st turn only to be CH'd to death. After sending Steelix, Latias froze Steelix with Ice Beam (My biggest mistake in here, was not attempting to BoltBeam stall via switching). After Steelix went down, Suicune was the only guy left to keep me in the battle (I was using Leftovers back then). While I tried to set-up on the hopes of stalling Latias' Thunderbolt's PP, Suicune got CH'd during its sleep and well, it was game there. I had a very strong impression from my team on the 1st run.​
On the second run, this thing came here to make my life impossible:​
Ludicolo 4 | Bold | Leftovers | Leech Seed, Rain Dance, Double Team, Toxic | Rain Dish or Swift Swim | 170 / 0 / 170 / 0 / 170 / 0 |​
| Lv: 50 stats: 176/81/122/110/141/90 | Lv.100 stats: 343/158/239/216/278/176 |​
Another AIDS set but this one involved a Pokemon that normally, it wouldn't be threatening from start but it became much more dangerous that what I originally thought. When I played with the Werster team, the strategy was to CM once and then, attempt to 2HKO it as fast as possible with Psychic. However, on this battle, I was never able to get the 2nd Psychic I needed to finish it off since the RNG played in favor of the AI. After losing my Lum Berry and some Leech Seed damage, I swapped into Suicune in the hopes of PP stalling to get my chances to win, however, this plan backfired on me. Take into account that in G3, the Struggle mechanics are completely different in G3 than what they were in G4 and onward: the damage done by Struggle recoil is 25% of what you deal, not a 25% of your total HP. In other words, if you are, say Blissey, a pokemon with the outrageous base Attack of 10, the damage from Struggle recoil would be nothing more than 5 or 6 points of your total HP (don't take this as a fact, but the damage is so ridiculously low that Blissey basically nullifies it and even gains HP if using Leftovers). After PP stalling Ludicolo, it will never die from Struggle. My 2nd mistake was precisely thinking I could take it down with Latios after PP stalling. My Psychics never landed and Latios got defeated eventually by Ludicolo's continuous Struggles. My only chance was to pull out something as ridiculous as this:​
+6 0 SpA Suicune Surf vs. 170 HP / 170 SpD Ludicolo: 79-93 (23 - 27.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery​
Yeah, attempting a 5HKO against an opponent with +6 evasion who also had a x4 resist to Surf. I simply forfeited the match knowing that, as I was running out of Surfs, I was never going to win this fight. This loss eventually made me think about many stuff. My objective was to reach +100 wins but with Ludicolo 4 being a fairly common set on certain Trainers, I knew I was going to struggle against it. It's never good to struggle against Double Team sets if you want to suceed in G3 Battle Tower. Looking back into the battles I have done so far, I realized that the amount of times I used Rock Slide were extremely barren. I only used it like against Pokemon like Zapdos or Scyther, but it has never seen use outside those situations. Also, when you take into account's Steelix' average base 85 Attack, it isn't a good move for Steelix to get locked into on the long run as it is something that many other Pokemon can take advantage of. Toxic was the solution I came up with to deal with Ludicolo 4 as well as any Double Team user without Rest. It worked to perfection and it has even surpassed my own expectations. Pokemon like Ludicolo 4, Umbreon 1/2 and Blissey 1 can now be defeated without me risking my Pokemon's PP or relying on hitting an attack. All I have to do is set up with Suicune once they are poisoned and the poison damage will do all the work.​

colo-shiny-latios.gif

Latios (Enkidu) (M) @ Lum Berry
IVs:
31-4-31-31-31-31
EVs: 28 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 6 SpD / 220 Spe
Lv.50 stats: 159 HP / 87 Atk / 101 Def / 182 SpA / 131 SpD / 173 Spe
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Claw
- Thunderbolt

RNG'd on Sapphire with Pokemon Box by /u/serenechaos1 [Emulator, Method 4 spread]

colo-shiny-suicune.gif

Suicune (Suigetsu) @ Chesto Berry
IVs:
31-24-31-31-31-31
EVs: 236 HP / 148 Def / 126 Spe
Lv.50 stats: 205 HP / 82 Atk / 169 Def / 110 SpA / 135 SpD / 121 Spe
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Bold
- Surf
- Rest
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

RNG'd by me on Pokemon Colosseum [Emulator, GC Method]

colo-shiny-steelix.gif

Steelix (GoldDigger) @ Choice Band
IVs:
31-31-31-11-30-31
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 120 SpD / 4 Spe
Lv.50 stats: 167 HP / 150 Atk / 220 Def / 58 SpA / 100 SpD / 51 Spe
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Adamant
- Toxic
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Steel]

RNG'd by me on Pokemon Fire Red [Emulator, Method H-1 spread]

Latios is legitimately one of the most broken Pokemon in the whole game. It has access to the best boosting move in G3 which is Calm Mind, a move that boosts its Special power while raising its Special Defense. After a couple of Calm Mind boosts, it can easily shrug off Dark, Ice and Dragon type attacks (In Generation III, all of these attacks are special moves. There was no physical/special split and it was defined by type. Ex: Crunch was a special move and reduced SpD instead of Def). At +1 Latios obtains a ridiculous amount of OHKOs. At +2 you're killing anything that has somewhat decent bulk to survive +1 neutral attacks like Ursaring. At +4 you OHKO all variants of Swampert and any bulky Water type, regardless of how much they invest on their Special Defense. The most scary part is the amount of Pokemon Latios can easily set up Calm Minds against. Pokemon like Quagsire, all Typhlosion variants, Charizard, Swampert and Venusaur are easy set up fodder. Most of the time, you only need one single Calm Mind to bring havoc to your opponent's team, and if the situation calls for it, you can even set up more depending on the opposition. Psychic is Latios' main STAB and it ravages the Poison and Fighting types present on the Frontier while being a consistent and reliable STAB capable of reducing the foe's Special Defense if lucky. Dragon Claw is the best secondary STAB Latios has access to (special move). It is Latios main option vs Salamence, opposing Lati@s and Kingdra. Bulky sets are OHKO'd at +1 while offensive sets are destroyed easily at +0. Thanks to the small bulk investment, Latios can survive their attacks and OHKO or 2HKO in return. Thunderbolt is the chosen coverage move on Latios to kill the insane amount of Water types present in G3. After a couple of boosts, it becomes strong enough to take down bulky tanks such as Milotic, Walrein and Lapras. Thunderbolt overall complements its coverage leaving Latios moveset only being resisted by Steelix and Magneton (The latter does not appears anymore after 4 rounds).

The speed tiers in Frontier are really interesting as there are very few +252 Spe Pokemon on their sets. In fact, only two Pokemon are faster than a +Spe Latios in the whole game. The infamous +252 Spe Jolteon and Crobat 3/4 which are neutral 252 Spe. With 200 Spe and 182 Spe being the two fastest speed stats in the game, the next number on the list is 172, which is where Sceptile 2/3/4 and Dugtrio 1 - 4 sit. This pretty much shows you why +252 Spe on Latios is not needed. 220 Speed EVs are used to creep Dugtrio and Sceptile by 1 point, making Latios only being outspeeded by 2 Crobat sets and a single Jolteon set. This is pretty crucial as +220 Timid Latios also gets the jump on Pokemon like Gengar 1 and Starmie 3 allowing it to smack them before they hit Latios back. Max Special Attack is used to maximize Latios' sweeping capabilities while the rest is invested on Latios' HP in order to grant it a little bit of bulk. 28 HP EVs, and 4 EVs in Def / SpD balances Latios' defenses better than using 36 EVs in HP. A Lum Berry is used as it allows Latios to get rid of annoying status ailments coming from the likes of Lanturn and Venusaur.

Offensive Calcs Latios (Lv.50)
  • 252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lanturn: 97-115 (48.5 - 57.5%) -- 94.5% chance to 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (97, 98, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 115).
  • 252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 255 HP / 0 SpD Misdreavus: 89-105 (53.2 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 105).
  • +1 252 SpA Latios Dragon Claw vs. 255 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 190-224 (101.6 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (190, 192, 194, 197, 199, 201, 203, 206, 208, 210, 212, 215, 217, 219, 221, 224).
  • +1 252 SpA Latios Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gardevoir: 92-109 (64.3 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (92, 93, 94, 95, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 109).
  • +1 252 SpA Latios Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Moltres: 187-220 (113.3 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (187, 189, 191, 193, 195, 198, 200, 202, 204, 206, 209, 211, 213, 215, 217, 220)
  • +2 252 SpA Latios Thunderbolt vs. 255 HP / 0 SpD Dewgong: 227-268 (115.2 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (227, 230, 233, 235, 238, 241, 243, 246, 249, 251, 254, 257, 259, 262, 265, 268).
  • +3 252 SpA Latios Thunderbolt vs. 170 HP / 170 SpD Milotic: 197-232 (103.1 - 121.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (197, 199, 201, 204, 206, 208, 211, 213, 215, 218, 220, 222, 225, 227, 229, 232).
  • +4 252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 170 HP / 170 SpD Swampert: 212-250 (108.1 - 127.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    Possible damage amounts: (212, 215, 217, 220, 222, 225, 227, 230, 232, 235, 237, 240, 242, 245, 247, 250)

Defensive Calcs Latios (Lv.50)
  • 255+ SpA Gardevoir Ice Punch vs. +1 28 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 57-68 (35.8 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (57, 58, 59, 59, 60, 61, 61, 62, 63, 63, 64, 65, 65, 66, 67, 68).
  • 255+ SpA Latios Dragon Claw vs. +1 28 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 93-110 (58.4 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 110).
  • 255+ SpA Lapras Ice Beam vs. 28 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 124-146 (77.9 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (124, 125, 127, 128, 129, 131, 132, 134, 135, 137, 138, 140, 141, 143, 144, 146).
  • 255 Atk Huge Power Medicham Shadow Ball vs. 28 HP / 4 Def Latios: 136-160 (85.5 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (136, 137, 139, 140, 142, 144, 145, 147, 148, 150, 152, 153, 155, 156, 158, 160).
  • 255+ SpA Arcanine Crunch vs. +1 28 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 52-62 (32.7 - 38.9%) -- 99.5% chance to 3HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (52, 53, 53, 54, 55, 55, 56, 57, 57, 58, 58, 59, 60, 60, 61, 62).
  • 0 SpA Golduck Ice Beam vs. 28 HP / 4 SpD Latios on a critical hit: 129-152 (81.1 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (129, 130, 132, 133, 135, 136, 138, 139, 141, 142, 144, 145, 147, 148, 150, 152).
  • 255+ SpA Houndoom Crunch vs. 28 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 124-146 (77.9 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    Possible damage amounts: (124, 125, 127, 128, 129, 131, 132, 134, 135, 137, 138, 140, 141, 143, 144, 146).
  • 255+ SpA Regice Ice Beam vs. +3 28 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 57-68 (35.8 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    Possible damage amounts: (57, 58, 59, 59, 60, 61, 61, 62, 63, 63, 64, 65, 65, 66, 67, 68)

Suicune is another broken Pokemon in Generation 3 and it is an absolutely fantastic Pokemon to use. The only complain I have about it, is how hard Game Freak made it to obtain a competitive Suicune on Gen 3 since the FR/LG roamer versions are glitched to 0 IVs. Learning Colo/XD RNG was hard, but it paid off as I could finally use a flawless Suicune and beat the crap out of the whole Frontier. Surf is your main STAB and the only one Suicune needs, because Suicune is so bulky that it can easily set up all the way to +6 against Water types that don't pack a super-effective move against it, such as Walrein, Wailord, Milotic, Feraligatr and Slowking. Substitute is the crux of this set as it allows Suicune to be immune against status ailments such as paralysis and confusion. Trust me, it makes Porygon 3 and all Dusclops sets look like a bunch of stooges. After a couple of Calm Mind boosts, Suicune can pretty much weaken some super-effective hits, rendering them unable to break its Sub and continue to set-up. Rest allows it to recover its health back to full health while curing Suicune from burn, paralysis or poison in case it gets hit by those. As someone who has used both Chesto Berry and Leftovers, Chesto wins the match up in G3 for its ability to cure Suicune in one turn. At Lv.50, Tyranitar is in-existent, which means that you don't have to worry about permanent sandstorm at all, which is something that depletes Suicune's HP slowly without Leftovers. While the chip recovery from Leftovers eventually allows Suicune to set up more Substitutes on the long run, the immediate recovery that can be provided with ChestoRest has been much more useful in many cases, specially against the incredibly dangerous Houndoom 3, where Suicune gets another chance to fully recover HP and set up more Calm Minds to stall its Solarbeam should things end up like this.

At first I used a 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe at Lv.100 in Open Level (accidentally I also used 204 HP EVs at Lv.50 when I first started on the streak), however, after facing Slaking, I noticed that all Slaking sets (1-4) ran 0 Spe EVs. The good thing about Slaking 3 (Choice Band Slaking) is that it does not run STAB moves, however, Slaking 4 has Yawn and Thunderbolt. In order to make this a reliable set-up fodder, I run 136 Speed EVs on Suicune which allows us to outspeed any neutral base 100 without Speed EVs. This allows Suicune to outspeed all Slaking sets and make them set-up fodder, Zapdos 5/6 and all Jynx sets. 236 HP gives Suicune 51 HP Substitutes which means that Seismic Toss will never break your Sub in one hit. The rest is invested in Defense to make Suicune as physically bulky as possible. Despite only investing 148 Def EVs, don't underestimate Suicune's bulk. It is still as great as ever and don't forget that the power creep on this generation is quite low considering that boosting items such as Life Orb didn't existed back then. The only boosting item is Choice Band and the two main users: Armaldo & Aerodactly are easily handled by Steelix. Personally, I never found myself asking for more bulk taking into account that the amount of stuff Suicune walls is a bigger list than what Gen 4/5/6/7 brings later.

Offensive Calcs Suicune (Lv.50)
  • +6 0 SpA Suicune Surf vs. 0 HP / 255+ SpD Slowbro: 81-96 (47.6 - 56.4%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96).
  • +6 0 SpA Suicune Surf vs. 255 HP / 0 SpD Blastoise: 94-111 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 111)
  • +1 0 SpA Suicune Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 178-210 (107.8 - 127.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (178, 180, 182, 184, 186, 189, 191, 193, 195, 197, 199, 201, 203, 205, 207, 210).
  • +6 0 SpA Suicune Surf vs. 0 HP / 170 SpD Venusaur: 84-99 (54.1 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99).
  • +2 0 SpA Suicune Surf vs. 255 HP / 0 SpD Heracross: 102-121 (54.5 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (102, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 116, 117, 118, 119, 121).
  • +6 0 SpA Suicune Surf vs. 255 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 107-127 (57.2 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.
    Possible damage amounts: (107, 109, 110, 111, 113, 114, 115, 116, 118, 119, 120, 121, 123, 124, 125, 127).
  • +1 0 SpA Suicune Surf vs. 255 HP / 255 SpD Regirock: 119-140 (63.6 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (119, 120, 121, 123, 124, 126, 127, 128, 130, 131, 133, 134, 135, 137, 138, 140).
  • +6 0 SpA Suicune Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lanturn: 122-144 (61 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (122, 123, 125, 126, 128, 129, 131, 132, 133, 135, 136, 138, 139, 141, 142, 144).

Defensive Calcs Suicune (Lv.50)
  • 255+ SpA Houndoom Crunch vs. +1 236 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 41-49 (20 - 23.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
    Possible damage amounts: (41, 42, 42, 43, 43, 44, 44, 45, 45, 46, 46, 47, 47, 48, 48, 49)
  • 255+ SpA Regice Thunderbolt vs. +2 236 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 45-54 (21.9 - 26.3%) -- 9.7% chance to 4HKO
    Possible damage amounts: (45, 46, 46, 47, 48, 48, 49, 49, 50, 50, 51, 51, 52, 52, 53, 54)
  • 0 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 148+ Def Suicune: 44-52 (21.4 - 25.3%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO
    Possible damage amounts: (44, 44, 45, 45, 46, 46, 47, 47, 48, 48, 49, 49, 50, 50, 51, 52)
  • 255+ SpA Flygon Solar Beam vs. +2 236 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 51-60 (24.8 - 29.2%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO
    Possible damage amounts: (51, 51, 52, 52, 53, 54, 54, 55, 55, 56, 57, 57, 58, 58, 59, 60)
  • 255+ SpA Slowbro Psychic vs. +1 236 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 43-51 (20.9 - 24.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (43, 43, 44, 44, 45, 45, 46, 46, 47, 47, 48, 48, 49, 49, 50, 51).
  • 255+ Atk Ursaring Double-Edge vs. 236 HP / 148+ Def Suicune: 81-96 (39.5 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    Possible damage amounts: (81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96)
  • 255 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. +6 236 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 37-44 (18 - 21.4%) -- possible 5HKO
    Possible damage amounts: (37, 37, 38, 38, 39, 39, 40, 40, 40, 41, 41, 42, 42, 43, 43, 44)
  • 255+ SpA Houndoom Solar Beam vs. +3 236 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 49-58 (23.9 - 28.2%) -- 93.5% chance to 4HKO
    Possible damage amounts: (49, 49, 50, 51, 51, 52, 52, 53, 53, 54, 55, 55, 56, 56, 57, 58)
  • 0+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 148+ Def Suicune: 67-79 (32.6 - 38.5%) -- 98.5% chance to 3HKO
    Possible damage amounts: (67, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79)
  • 255+ SpA Alakazam Thunder Punch vs. +2 236 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 45-54 (21.9 - 26.3%) -- 9.7% chance to 4HKO
    Possible damage amounts: (45, 46, 46, 47, 48, 48, 49, 49, 50, 50, 51, 51, 52, 52, 53, 54)

Finally, the last team member and the star of the team: Steelix. Steelix is pretty much inferior to its Steel type cousins on many ways: Steelix doesn't has Metagross' sky high Attack stat, nor doesn't have Registeel defenses. BST wise, the only thing Steelix has above its competition was its sky high Defense stat which makes Steelix ridiculously bulky from the physical side to the point where it can eat a +2 +252 Atk Earthquake from Salamence at full HP. I was sold out on Steelix's unique Ground / Steel typing which was not shared by anyone else on G3. Many people underestimate how god this type combination is as it grants Steelix 2 immunities to Poison & Electric, 9 whooping resistances and only 4 weaknesses. Sturdy is also a god-send ability I'll gladly take over Rock Head any day. Steelix being immune to OHKO moves means it laughes at Lapras 7/8 who only run OHKO moves.

Earthquake is Steelix's main STAB move of choice and it completely ravages anything that is hit super-effectively by the move thanks to the extra boost provided by its Choice Band. Hidden Power Steel is another reliable STAB for Steelix capable of hitting Armaldo, Articuno and Cradily much harder than what Earthquake does, while hitting Pokemon immune to Earthquake for good damage. Explosion is a capable nuke allowing Steelix to blow itself up taking down bulky Pokemon such as Snorlax, Blissey and Umbreon when needed. Toxic is my odd-ball choice in here, and yeah, at first glance you would think it doesn't makes sense using a status move on a Choice locked Pokemon, but Toxic is definitely worth the last slot here. Steelix most of the time will be clicking Earthquake or HP Steel when going into the offensive, but Toxic allows Steelix to reliably check any Double Team user that lacks a way to recover from status ailments or Rest such as Blissey 1, Umbreon 1/2, Dusclops 2 and Ludicolo 4. You only need to hit one Toxic and from there, Suicune can set up against these Pokemon safely behind a Substitute as Poison damage chips down their health. It pretty much takes away a lot of pressure from Suicune as being my main answer for Double Team spammers and I haven't been disappointed on Toxic's performance as I know that I only need to hit once regardless of the evasion boosts to win.

132 HP EVs and 120 SpD EVs takes the most out of Steelix's lower Special Defense stat, maximizing its capability of taking strong neutral and resisted special attacks. It also allows Steelix to survive weak Water types that lack heavy investment in their Special Attack stat. Max Attack is used to further bolster Steelix's power and Explosion's nuking capabilities. Even one single point missed on this stat, already makes Steelix lose some crucial KOs which is why it is imperative to fully invest on its meager Attack stat. Because of its imperfect Special Defense IV, Steelix ends up with 4 leftover EVs which are placed in Speed simply to win the Speed tie vs opposing Steelix & Belly Drum Snorlax. This means that Steelix will always be faster than them and will 2HKO them with Earthquake before they pull something out. To further illustrate Steelix's offensive and defensive prowess you can see some calculations below:

Offensive Calcs Steelix (Lv.50)
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Steelix Earthquake vs. 170 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 173-204 (98.2 - 115.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (173, 175, 177, 179, 181, 183, 185, 187, 189, 191, 193, 195, 197, 199, 201, 204).
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Steelix Hidden Power Steel vs. 170 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl: 210-248 (119.3 - 140.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (210, 213, 215, 218, 220, 223, 225, 228, 230, 233, 235, 238, 240, 243, 245, 248).
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Steelix Earthquake vs. 170 HP / 170+ Def Registeel: 124-146 (70.4 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery. Possible damage amounts: (124, 125, 127, 128, 129, 131, 132, 134, 135, 137, 138, 140, 141, 143, 144, 146).
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Steelix Explosion vs. +1 170 HP / 170 Def Snorlax: 267-315 (104.2 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (267, 270, 274, 277, 280, 283, 286, 289, 292, 296, 299, 302, 305, 308, 311, 315).
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Steelix Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 255 Def Muk: 200-236 (111.1 - 131.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    Possible damage amounts: (200, 202, 205, 207, 210, 212, 214, 217, 219, 221, 224, 226, 228, 231, 233, 236).
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Steelix Earthquake vs. 255 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 107-126 (60.4 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (107, 108, 109, 110, 112, 113, 114, 115, 117, 118, 119, 120, 122, 123, 124, 126).
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Steelix Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Forretress: 79-94 (52.6 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94).
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Steelix Hidden Power Steel vs. 255 HP / 0 Def Latios: 90-106 (48.1 - 56.6%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 106).
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Steelix Earthquake vs. 255 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 239-282 (121.3 - 143.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (239, 242, 245, 248, 250, 253, 256, 259, 262, 265, 267, 270, 273, 276, 279, 282).
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Steelix Earthquake vs. 255 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 119-140 (63.6 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (119, 120, 121, 123, 124, 126, 127, 128, 130, 131, 133, 134, 135, 137, 138, 140)

Defensive Calcs Steelix (Lv.50)
  • +2 255+ Atk Salamence Earthquake vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 142-168 (85 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (142, 144, 146, 147, 149, 151, 152, 154, 156, 157, 159, 161, 162, 164, 166, 168).
  • 255+ Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 88-104 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 104).
  • 255+ Atk Machamp Cross Chop vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 107-126 (64 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (107, 108, 109, 110, 112, 113, 114, 115, 117, 118, 119, 120, 122, 123, 124, 126).
  • 255+ SpA Alakazam Fire Punch vs. 132 HP / 120 SpD Steelix: 117-138 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (117, 118, 120, 121, 122, 124, 125, 126, 128, 129, 131, 132, 133, 135, 136, 138).
  • 0 SpA Walrein Surf vs. 132 HP / 120 SpD Steelix: 127-150 (76 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (127, 129, 130, 132, 133, 135, 136, 138, 139, 141, 142, 144, 145, 147, 148, 150).
  • 255 SpA Ampharos Fire Punch vs. 132 HP / 120 SpD Steelix: 96-114 (57.4 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (96, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 114).
  • 170+ Atk Choice Band Aerodactyl Earthquake vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 85-100 (50.8 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100).
  • 170+ Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 68-80 (40.7 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (68, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80).
  • +6 0+ Atk Snorlax Return vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 74-88 (44.3 - 52.6%) -- 23% chance to 2HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88).
  • 255+ Atk Forretress Earthquake vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 56-66 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (56, 56, 57, 58, 58, 59, 60, 60, 61, 62, 62, 63, 64, 64, 65, 66).
  • 255+ Atk Choice Band Ursaring Mega Kick vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 46-55 (27.5 - 32.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO.
    Possible damage amounts: (46, 47, 47, 48, 48, 49, 50, 50, 51, 51, 52, 52, 53, 53, 54, 55).
  • 0+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Earthquake vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 103-122 (61.6 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    Possible damage amounts: (103, 104, 106, 107, 108, 109, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 117, 118, 119, 120, 122)

This is usually my initial thought process depending on what the AI has at their disposition.

Latios, Steelix and Suicune have a fantastic defensive synergy as the three team members can rely on each other's resistances to cover for their weaknesses: Latios can switch into the Ground and Fight attacks that Steelix doesn't wants to take. Thanks to Steelix's immunity to Electric type attacks, Suicune and Steelix can swap stall in order to deplete the PP from Pokemon who rely on Boltbeam coverage like Lapras 4 and Regice 2/3/6. Suicune can also take into the mayority of the Fire types that threaten Steelix. Steelix resists the Dragon, Dark, Bug and Ghost type attacks that threaten Latios heavily. Latios resist Grass and it can easily set up on them. Overheat users such as Arcanine and Charizard can be baited into Overheating Suicune, waste their White Herb and weaken their Special attack by siwtching back and forth between Steelix/Suicune to the point where their Special Attack is weak enough for Suicune to recover any lost health and set up safely. Steelix's insane Defense stat allows it to act as an emergency check for any Dragon Dance or Curse user that might get out of control and kill them off with Explosion.
  • If the AI leads with something that can´t threaten Latios, even with a critical hit, set up a Calm Mind. Pokemon like Feraligatr, Charizard, Venusaur, Golduck and Machamp can't really do much against Latios and most get destroyed at +1.
  • If the AI leads with something that Latios can defeat but is at risk if it sets up, go for the kill. Against Gengar leads, I always go for the KO because it's not worth for me to waste my Lum Berry or get Ice Punch damage on me.
  • If Latios needs a Calm Mind boost in order to KO what it is in front of it, go for it.
  • Sometimes Latios will need the defensive buff from Calm Mind in order to respond back with a OHKO. Latios 1 leads are incredibly dangerous since they have a 25% chance of OHKOing Latios with a +252 Spa Dragon Claw. Because of their max HP investment, I need a Calm Mind to guarantee the KO on them, while nullifying their small chance of KO-ing me in return.
  • If Latios cannot set up against what it is in front of it, but can 2HKO it at the cost of receiving damage, go for it. This is my to go strategy vs Houndoom leads since I cannot risk Suicune switching into Sunny Day from Houndom 3 and get hit hard by Solarbeam.
  • Steelix is your first hand switch-in to Electric types, except vs Lanturn who is always 2HKO'd by Latios' Psychic.
  • Because there is no Scald in Gen 3, it's generally not worth getting Suicune to switch into Ice attacks, except when you are switch stalling Boltbeam coverage with Steelix / Suicune. If stalling Boltbeam is crucial to secure your victory, do it.
  • If you see Double Team, scout the set and check if the opponent has Rest or a way to heal status. If none of these are true, first, poison the target with Steelix's Toxic. Once done, swap into Suicune and proceed to set up with Substitute/Calm Mind depending on the rest of its moveset. Remember: Struggle won't kill something with low Attack + Leftovers, which is why Toxic is so key when dealing with Double Teamers such as Ludicolo 4.
  • Against Water-types, Suicune should always be your first switch-in, except vs Pokemon like Starmie and Lanturn, which are Pokemon that Latios comfortably defeats. Pokemon like Milotic, Slowbro and Slowking lose to Suicune 1-v-1. Suicune can either 2HKO or 3HKO them at +6 while these Pokemon are unable to break its Substitute and become PP stalled in the process.
  • Reversal Medicham, one of the most dangerous sweepers in G3 Tower, can be dealt easily by Suicune. Against Medicham leads, I always CM knowing that Latios can survive Shadow Ball. If it Fake Outs, this is Reversal Medicham: swap into Suicune, set up a Calm Mind to guarantee Medicham's Psychic will be unable to break your Sub, then set up with Substitute. It's always important to attack Medicham but only when you're behind a Substitute which will Protect you from Medicham's full powered Reversal next turn, in case it decides to go for Endure. Don't worry about Heracross 4 (which knows Reversal). I've never seen him going for Endure vs Latios as it always aims for the Megahorn OHKO.
  • Steelix should only explode only against Curse users that Earthquake can't pressure enough to avoid more set ups. Snorlax is the only Explosion target that I don't really hesitate on using the move into (Unless it's Belly Drum Snorlax which is defeated by Earthquake).
  • The AI has a certain tendency of abusing Counter / Mirror Coat. Make sure you scout for these and act accordingly. Regirock 2 has Counter which is something that will KO Steelix in return, if you scout for this move, send Suicune instead. Don't forget to Sub first, because it knows Explosion! On a similar vein, this also makes Latios great vs Swampert as it will always be abusing one of these moves. I had always gotten into x4 by setting up on it and OHKOing Swampert.

This is what pretty much threatens the team mostly:
  • Gardevoir: Gardevoir 3/4 are the most dangerous sets due to their coverage. It's one of those situations where I don't really want to CM but I have to. They have Ice Punch, Fire Punch and Thunderbolt / Magical Leaf coming from +252 SpA hitting all of my team members super-effectively. To make matters worse, Gardevoir 4 has Brightpowder. +1 CM avoids the Ice Punch 2HKO while Dragon Claw 2HKOs it in return at +1. However, if she gets a crit or a miss, I am in big trouble.
  • Rhydon: Goes without saying. All 4 sets have Quick Claw and despite Steelix's immunity to Horn Drill, it can still 2HKO Steelix with Earthquake while Steelix only has a 12.5% chance to OHKO. What I usually do is swap into Steelix on the potential Megahorn / Horn Drill, then switch into Suicune to take the expected Earthquake and KO with Surf immediately. After taking the damage, Rhydon is usually more tempted to Earthquake again instead of going for Horn Drill. This has been my strategy to deal with the threat of a Quick Claw Horn Drill, however, I have seen it a few times going for Horn Drill when Sucune is on the field. (Once, it Horn Drilled at the same turn I switch out Steelix into Suicune, which fortunately ended up as a miss). I guess it is once of those AI shenanigans cases where you never know what the AI can do.
  • Snorlax: Snorlax leads are generally bad news because I am 80% of the time force to explode on it if it reveals Curse thanks to its bulk, access to Immunity and Rest which invalidates using Toxic as an option. Losing Steelix at a potential turn 1 always suck because its resistances are always valuable to have around on the match.
  • Lapras: The difficulty of dealing with Lapras is scouting the set. Lapras has 8 whooping sets and they all have their counter strategy in order to deal with them. Steelix laughs at sets 7/8. Latios owns set 1. Lapras 3 is a potential Explosion target because of Confuse Ray, which kills it immediately. Lapras 4/5 can be PP stalled by swap stalling between Steelix / Suicune. As a lead, I always stay and Thunderbolt in order to potentially scout the set knowing I will take lots of damage in the process or potentially get bunked by 7/8.
  • Houndoom: I really hate looking at this thing at a lead position. Thanks to the small bulk investment, Latios always survives Crunch outside a critical hit, in case it decides to use it and not go for Counter or Sunny Day. Getting critted, puts me on a difficult position as I am forces to set up Calm Minds where Crunch doesn't breaks the Sub or weaken Solarbeam's damage in the hopes of not getting a CH again. Crunch makes it difficult because of its 20% chance of reducing the Special Defense.
  • Latios:
    Against Latios leads I am always forced to Calm Mind because Modest +252 SpA has a 25% chance to OHKO Latios with Dragon Claw while my +0 Dragon Claw fails to OHKO it thanks to their common 255 HP investment. I prefer to take the risk of getting a 6.25% chance of me being CH'd rather than give the AI a 25% chance to KO me. If he crits, I have to hope that Steelix gets the good roll with HP Steel as otherwise, I am screwed.
  • Latias:
    Because +1 does not OHKOs her, I am forced to go for the Dragon Claw 2HKO unlike what I do with Latios. The good thing is that outside a critical hit or a Brightpowder miss, she can't beat Latios. Set 5 is one of the most annoying one because of Thunder Wave, Calm Mind and Recover. In case Latios misses, I set up with Suicune at the same time (Sub first to avoid T-wave later, then CM. At some point she will spam T-wave), go into the CM war and PP stall her. Once she's out of Dragon Claw PPs, it's Steelix's time to poison her.
  • Heracross: Heracross generally is bad news. Set 1 has Focus Band which could activate at the worst scenario possible. Set 2 has max HP which makes Latios' Psychic only a 18.8% chance to OHKO. Set 3 has Bright Powder which can make Latios miss at the worst scenario.

You can check my playlist in here where I picked some of my Gen 3 replays to display my prowess. I didn't add a voice commentary on the videos (sorry guys, I know some videos deserve me to describe my thought process as to why I chose certain moves) since I don't own a microphone and all I have is my labtop's built in microphone. I did a video commentary on my 200th win video since it was a special benchmark worth for me to do so. Sorry for the bad audio quality! I wasn't satisfied with the end product, although I might be able to do more voiced commentary videos at some point, or even a live stream despite the bad audio quality of my voice.

Loss:
Battle #324 vs Expert Emma:
3 /
5 / Unknown (tl;dr at the end of this comment)

The loss came at Battle #324 vs Expert Emma. Emma is one of the AIs who can carry any of the 4/8 sets available on her Pokemon. I knew this was going to be a long battle since her rooster involved bulky Pokemon as Blissey, Umbreon, Miltank, Milotic, Ludicolo, etc at her disposal. The battle started with her leading Blissey and me leading Latios as always. My counterplay against Blissey has always been going into Steelix since it walls Blissey 2, and it deals very well with Blissey 3/4. Blissey 1 is kinda annoying because of its access to Sing & Substitute, but it is something manageable. After switching into Steelix, Blissey reveals Calm Mind, which means that it could be either Blissey or Blissey 4. To have a review about those sets, let's take a look at them:

• Blissey 3 | Bold | Focus Band | Fire Blast, Blizzard, Calm Mind, Softboiled | Natural Care or Serene Grace | 0 / 0 / 255 / 0 / 255 / 0 |
    | Lv: 50 stats: 330/27/68/95/187/75
  • Blissey 4 | Bold | Focus Band | Counter, Ice Beam, Calm Mind, Softboiled | Natural Care or Serene Grace | 0 / 0 / 255 / 0 / 255 / 0 |
    | Lv: 50 stats: 330/27/68/95/187/75
If you noticed it, Blissey 3 has access to Fire Blast. It only needs 2 Calm Minds to guarantee the OHKO with Fire Blast regardless. I faced Blissey 3 and 4 countless of times before and my strategy is always go Toxic, and then swap into Suicune. Regardless of the set, they always try to attempt a 2nd CM, or in Blissey's 4 case, attempt a random Counter which gives me a free turn to poison her and then I swap into Suicune.

However, on this turn, because Toxic has imperfect inaccuracy, I missed it on the free turn I had as she grabbed her 2nd Calm Mind. My biggest mistake in here was not analyzing the situation here and let Steelix stay on this turn. I was so used on getting Toxic to poison Blissey on turn 1 that I grew spoiled on my strategy and I didn't checked the calcs back then. I guess this is what happens when you have set plans for some sets and it might play against you on a single moment were things don't go as you expected. By letting Steelix stay in, Fire Blast landed the OHKO on Steelix and I knew that I screwed up in here big time. My 2nd alternative was now to switch into Suicune and PP stall Blissey. At +2 Fire Blast and Blizzard can't break the Sub, so I know that the best thing to do was to set up the Sub and then CM all the way to +6 and waste purposefully her PPs on the turns she decided to attack. With Pressure, Blissey can only attack 2 times using Fire Blast and 3 times with Blizzard. After she ran out of Blizzard and Fire Blast attacks, I decided to waste Calm Mind PPs because I needed her Softboiled PP gone as well in order to make her Struggle and attack her with Surfs. At this point, both of us were at +6 so I knew this was going to take a while and a lot of PPs. I wasted purposefully CM and some Rest/Sub PPs until she finally started to use Struggle. Once she started to Struggle, thanks to the fact that this Blissey set didn't had Leftovers, I knew I was not going to be locked into one of those Gen 3 infinite battles and I could beat her down. After finishing off Blissey, Suicune had around 13 Surf PPs left, 12 CMs, 10 Rest and 8 Substitutes I think. When her Struggles broke the Substitute (She did two times while I was spamming Surf), I used Rest purposefully to save up some PPs for what was going up next.

Normally, this would had been able to reverse the situation and would mean I was recovering the momentum I lost after letting Steelix die so foolishly, however, I knew that the next Pokemon to come, would be a huge issue: Lapras. At +6, you would normally think you don't have anything to fear from Lapras, however, Lapras has the possibility of being Water Aborsb and the set 3 Lapras who knows Dragon Dance and Double Edge which beats Suicune 1-v-1 if it is Water Aborsb since DD boosts its Special Attack. Also, there's the fact that Lapras has 8 whooping sets in Generation III with all having different counterplay depending on the moves they reveal. At this point, I knew that I had to stay and go for Surf for two reasons: A) It will tell me if Lapras has Water Absorb which would then, force me to PP stall it if it isn't Lapras 3. B) It will give me information of which set is using depending on the moves it reveals.

After using Surf, Lapras didn't took damage which means that it wasn't Shell Armor and it had indeed Water Absorb. Lapras went for Double Edge and it broke the Substitute on a Critical Hit. Now, I was facing the worst situation possible: It didn't mattered whether Suicune was at +6 since it was a sitting duck vs Water Absorb Lapras. The CH was the worst part because now it was impossible for me to scout whether it was Lapras 3 or Lapras 5.

• Lapras 3 | Docile | Brightpowder | Double-Edge, Psychic, Confuse Ray, Dragon Dance | Water Absorb | 170/ 0 /170/ 0 /170/ 0 |
    | Lv: 50 stats: 226/105/121/105/136/80
  • Lapras 5 | Docile | Shell Bell | Psychic, Thunderbolt, Iron Tail, Double Edge | Water Absorb | 0 /255/ 0 /255/ 0 / 0 |
    | Lv: 50 stats: 205/137/100/137/115/80

Now, Shell Bell was a completely giveaway, however, I never payed attention myself to the item it was holding all this time while also being completely worn out at this point, didn't allowed me to think properly. Suicune had a lot of PP depleted after that battle vs Blissey and while the crit Double Edge threw me off and somehow putting this idea on my head that I could face Lapras 3 which wasn't true. I only focused on the crit Double Edge and that's it. It's very easy to miss on details like these when you don't pay attention. Switching Latios out was the other big misplay I did here because I thought on the possibility of Lapras 3 which never existed. Lapras goes for a Double Edge and from here, I knew I was going to lose very likely. Lapras gets another critical hit which makes Latios take a big chunk of health when it was at 100%.

255 Atk Lapras Double-Edge vs. 28 HP / 4 Def Latios: 62-73 (38.9 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO.
Possible damage amounts: (62, 62, 63, 64, 64, 65, 66, 67, 67, 68, 69, 70, 70, 71, 72, 73).

255 Atk Lapras Double-Edge vs. 28 HP / 4 Def Latios on a critical hit: 124-146 (77.9 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

The worst part is that even a +252 Double Edge is a 2HKO while a +0 Thunderbolt makes a clean 2HKO as shown below:

252 SpA Latios Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lapras: 115-136 (56 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (115, 116, 118, 119, 121, 122, 123, 125, 126, 127, 129, 130, 131, 133, 134, 136)

Latios only ends up around 41 HP left after the critical hit Double Edge and from here, it all comes down whether I can get a critical hit Thunderbolt or not. Again, at this point, the correct thing to do maybe was to try to stall it out with what Suicune had left of PP. With 7 Double Edge, 7 Iron Tails, 7 Thunderbolts and 5 Psychic PPs factoring Pressure, this was the right play to do so. This means Lapras would had been stalled with the 28-30 PPs I had left between Rest, Calm Mind and Substitute without me going into Surf to heal it and ruin the self-damage when it started to Struggle. Also, the two turns I spend sleeping with Rest after having used my Chesto Berry meant that I could even save some spare PPs. If Lapras didn't had that Double Edge crit, I would had been OK as well, but when you go over 300 wins without being taken down by Emerald's broken RNG, you know that the game will have its sweet payback.

After the crit Double Edge, I knew I was screwed and I needed the RNG to back me up here. A para or a crit. None of the two happened and Lapras finished me off with a 2nd Double Edge with around 30% HP left. Suicune was sent out and since this thing has Thunderbolt, I needed up to set up again all the way up with the hopes of not having another critical hit. While I was working on it, when it was time for me to Rest, Lapras gets yet ANOTHER critical hit which puts Suicune on Red. I was not going to wake up on that turn and Lapras finishes me off with another Thunderbolt.

Emma leads Blissey 3, I switch out into Steelix in order to attempt to Toxic it. Toxic misses and I screw up by staying again and Blissey gets the OHKO with +2 Fire Blast. Suicune comes next and succesfully PP stalls it. Struggle + Surf brings her down eventually and Lapras 5 comes next. Didn't payed attention to hold item, and I sent Latios thinking on the possibility of Lapras 3 (which wasn't real). Lapras CHs with Double Edge and Latios is now in range for a Double Edge OHKO. Thunderbolt fails to crit or get the parahax and Lapras gets the kill. On a desperate attempt, I try to set up in order to weaken Thunderbolt and stall it. Sadly, the AI gets a crit and Lapras beats Suicune.

Special Thanks & Credits:

I would like to thank first and foremost all the people at the Battle Tree Discord: I've learned a lot by hanging around with you guys and it was fun to share my experiences on Gen 3 with everyone. I'm glad that some people have even become interested on challenging the Gen 3 Frontier thanks to my write ups in the #frontier channel. Special mention to HeadsILoseTailsYouWin who made me aware of the inexistence of Tyranitar/Dragonite at Lv.50 while explaining briefly why the Lv.50 calcs are much better than Lv.100 calcs. Another shout-out to atsync who made me aware of the existence of a downloadable Gen 3 spreadsheet at the forums and turskain for adding support for Gen 3 on his damage calculator. You guys rock and helped me achieve this!

I would like to thank my good friend @Chrystalials#6440 for rendering the awesome 3D models of my Shiny Pokemon from Pokemon Colosseum. Credits to Serebii.net for the ball and icon sprites.

1st EDIT: Corrected some minor spelling mistakes.

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Very nicely done, that's a great streak to accomplish. I documented my own run in this thread, though only in my quest to Gold symbol using the same Salamence / Suicune / Snorlax team that you did, but I had some different lines of play that I think were more consistent for me than what you seemed to experience (also you should totally post in the other thread and help revive it).

I actually used Suicune in my lead position instead of Salamence. With Suicune's ridiculous bulk there is nearly nothing that can threaten to KO it before it can set up appropriately, the main threats being as you note, Banded Normals and Electrics. What I found myself doing in many cases against the powerful attackers like the Normals and Sunnybeamers was simply pp stalling. A banded normal in the lead slot would be met with an Intimidate to reduce threat and then Suicune can take care of the usually 2 pp remaining from the banded attacker (i.e. mega kick granbull). I found Leftovers to be super key in this way for my Suicune with the ability it gave to ride the line of edging out 3/4HKOs while the Chesto Berry gave Snorlax the chance to set up one Curse or one Amnesia while taking the first heavy hit and then immediately Rest away from critical range while no longer being in a vulnerable position. Once I figured out the optimal way to play the team, abusing Pressure to allow for Suicune to set up fully in 90% of games, there were very few team compositions that could threaten me, though something like an enemy Curselax is definitely capable of posing a threat not easily handled there.

Regardless, well done and come join discussion in the other thread!

Despite being unable to give you in depth feedback of some sorts, I have to say I really liked reading the whole exposition of your Battle Tower team and gameplay tactics! I've done a ton of Battle Dome and Battle Factory on Emerald over the past years, but never got a consistently good team, especially not for the Tower (and I'm not such a good player to get enormous streaks anyway). Nevertheless, I recognize so many things you point out in your post, it was nice to follow your teambuilding process and the tactics you use. I've read a lot about all the different movesets in the Frontier back then and it's cool to read how you deduct which one you're facing. That's a little easier in the Dome or Factory because you have some information on your opponent. Also, I found it amusing (and so familiar!) that some unexpected Pokémon or movesets can bring great harm to such a balanced team (i.e. the Ludicolo). When I was reading about the game you've lost, I immediately had to think about my own loss in my (longest?) streak in the Battle Dome: the Rest/Talk OKHO Lapras. I wonder if that one messed up your game once, too?

I must admit I've always found the Tower too hard to get into and never got the Gold symbol. It's pretty time consuming and annoying to breed fabulous Pokémon for it (I've never played on emulators), let alone finding a balanced team - something your "teambuilding process" illustrates perfectly. However, I liked the whole Frontier and the movesets they've created for so many Pokémon. I've learned a fair amount of competitive play thanks to the ridiculous, gimmicky sets in there. It's awesome to read back, and above all, congratulations on your achievement of this long streak! :)

Very nicely done, that's a great streak to accomplish. I documented my own run in this thread, though only in my quest to Gold symbol using the same Salamence / Suicune / Snorlax team that you did, but I had some different lines of play that I think were more consistent for me than what you seemed to experience (also you should totally post in the other thread and help revive it).

I actually used Suicune in my lead position instead of Salamence. With Suicune's ridiculous bulk there is nearly nothing that can threaten to KO it before it can set up appropriately, the main threats being as you note, Banded Normals and Electrics. What I found myself doing in many cases against the powerful attackers like the Normals and Sunnybeamers was simply pp stalling. A banded normal in the lead slot would be met with an Intimidate to reduce threat and then Suicune can take care of the usually 2 pp remaining from the banded attacker (i.e. mega kick granbull). I found Leftovers to be super key in this way for my Suicune with the ability it gave to ride the line of edging out 3/4HKOs while the Chesto Berry gave Snorlax the chance to set up one Curse or one Amnesia while taking the first heavy hit and then immediately Rest away from critical range while no longer being in a vulnerable position. Once I figured out the optimal way to play the team, abusing Pressure to allow for Suicune to set up fully in 90% of games, there were very few team compositions that could threaten me, though something like an enemy Curselax is definitely capable of posing a threat not easily handled there.

Regardless, well done and come join discussion in the other thread!
Thank you very much and sure, I will post on the other thread :). When I used Jumpman's team, I actually did that, but found myself being super vulnerable to critical hits from Banded Normal types. It's true that Intimidate on Salamence helps a lot, but a critical hit Banded Mega Kick from Ursaring / Granbull will end up eating Suicune alive:

255+ Atk Choice Band Ursaring Mega Kick vs. 236 HP / 252+ Def Suicune on a critical hit: 224-264 (109.2 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO.

It happened to me a lot, so I ended up giving up on using the team. I won't deny it's a solid team overall. I wasn't leading Suicune, but that makes more sense now since you can immediately throw an Intimidate if needed and Suicune can stall them with Substitute. Thanks for sharing this and I'll be glad to join the discussion on the Emerald thread :D.

Despite being unable to give you in depth feedback of some sorts, I have to say I really liked reading the whole exposition of your Battle Tower team and gameplay tactics! I've done a ton of Battle Dome and Battle Factory on Emerald over the past years, but never got a consistently good team, especially not for the Tower (and I'm not such a good player to get enormous streaks anyway). Nevertheless, I recognize so many things you point out in your post, it was nice to follow your teambuilding process and the tactics you use. I've read a lot about all the different movesets in the Frontier back then and it's cool to read how you deduct which one you're facing. That's a little easier in the Dome or Factory because you have some information on your opponent. Also, I found it amusing (and so familiar!) that some unexpected Pokémon or movesets can bring great harm to such a balanced team (i.e. the Ludicolo). When I was reading about the game you've lost, I immediately had to think about my own loss in my (longest?) streak in the Battle Dome: the Rest/Talk OKHO Lapras. I wonder if that one messed up your game once, too?

I must admit I've always found the Tower too hard to get into and never got the Gold symbol. It's pretty time consuming and annoying to breed fabulous Pokémon for it (I've never played on emulators), let alone finding a balanced team - something your "teambuilding process" illustrates perfectly. However, I liked the whole Frontier and the movesets they've created for so many Pokémon. I've learned a fair amount of competitive play thanks to the ridiculous, gimmicky sets in there. It's awesome to read back, and above all, congratulations on your achievement of this long streak! :)
Thank you very much and glad to know you enjoyed the whole read :). The Rest Talk Lapras is Lapras 7 and Steelix completely walls it thanks to Sturdy (which is why it is so important on it). You can deduct what you're facing using this spreadsheet created by Hozu: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ts-pokemon-database.15426/page-4#post-4411177. It helped me a lot when building up this streak as it gave me an idea of what I was facing in front of me.

Late post, but I only now noticed it because of a friend re-inspiring me to play the Battle Frontier. Very interesting and entertaining read. I've always thought that the RNG in Emerald isn't as unbeatable as people were claiming. I've used a lot of different teams and weird setups but the team I had the most success with was:

Salamance@Choice Band
~Adamant, Intimidate
EVs: HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Rock Slide/Double Edge/Fire Blast

Very simple but very effective. It hits crazy hard. I kinda wanted to run HP Flying since Aerial Ace really isn't all that, but Aerial Ace is just to important because of DTers. You can even beat DT Registeel (albeit very very slowly...). I could never figure out what to run on the fourth slot and looking back, Hidden Power of any random types would have worked. Bug or Rock maybe?

Milotic@Leftovers
~Bold, Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP, don't remember the rest but I'll look it up eventually
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Toxic is absolutely vital to beat the bulky Waters that plague the tower. Ice Beam is great because it makes sure that Dragons don't deal too much damage as this team has a slight Dragon weakness. Good Defensive wall. Recover is just way better than Rest except when you're Toxic'd. But for that, I have...

Blissey@Lum Berry
~Calm, Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Speed
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Aromatherapy
- Ice Beam

The Specially Defensive wall. I might have more SDef on her but I don't remember. She deals with Dragons in a pinch but more importantly, she stalls and heals status plus is protected against status when switched.
If only I could have one with Wish...

The team heavily focuses on dealing raw damage with Mence and running when something dangerous pops up. It has issues with last mon CurseLax. And now that I think about it, a specific Electabuzz sounds like a huge threat. Switching around does help quite a bit and is the core strat when Mence fails. I got to battle 140 and lost to the Brain's CurseLax. Next time I reached that fight, I took with me the following:

Weezing@Leftovers
~Bold, Levitate
- Flamethrower
- Will-o-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Haze

This beast absolutely destroys any kind of Snorlax. I took it with me from battles 134-140 and while I had some issues with the upcoming battles, Anabel was easy. Full of confidence, I took Weezing with me for the next string of battles but got absolutely destroyed by a Psychic Medicham. IIRC, I took Weezing over Mence. Should've used an Impish Weezing after all. Whoops.

Mind you, I had EVed my mons as if they were level 100 so they might not have had the best EV spreads.

Back then, I had no way of obtaining any good mons outside of breeding with fast RNGable spreads (31/19/31/30/30/31 for example). Nowadays though, I can get my hands on anything. And there's a good chance I already have whatever it is I could want. I should definitely try out your team since it sounds really nice!

I've bred a lot of joke/meme sets or otherwise fun mons since I like Gen 3 BT so much more than other generations. Maybe it's because you don't have a lot of options or it's harder to fit everything in one team, but making weird sets is cool because they'd never work competitively. Though I do wanna run HP Fire Nasty Plot Weavile in Gen 4 one day. Or Rock Head Aerodactyl with Brave Bird, spore and two other recoil moves of my choosing lol.

Anyway, a couple of things I've used:
Aerodactyl@Leftovers, Jolly, Pressure, 208 HP, 4 Atk, 124 Def, 44 SDef, 128 Speed, Rock Slide, Taunt, Protect, Substitute
Good HP to make four Subs and still get a perfect Leftovers recovery number while also gaining enough HP back to make a fifth Sub. Enough Speed to outspeed 359s, because trying to tie with 394 Speed Jolteon is a battle you don't ever wanna mess with anyway. With Pressure, Sub and Protect, this eats through PP like it's nothing. If you've got nothing to do, you can attack with Rock Slide. A lot of fun, just not really that good against mons with a lot of attacking moves.

Linoone@Choice Band, Jolly, Pickup, 192 HP, 48 Def, 48 SDef, 220 Speed, Trick, Charm, Thunder Wave, Return
It's basically Trick Alakazam, but bulkier. It's actually interesting how bulky Linoone can be. Enough Speed to reach 320. Rest in HP and defenses. It Tricks the opposing mon, then, if you survive, you either T-Wave or Charm, depending on the opposing mon. Usually, slow mons gets the Charm, fast mons get the Wave. Or all of it if you lock them into a support move. It's pretty neat, but locking mons in a strong Struggle can still be annoying if you're trying to Sub up with a squishy Calm Mind user. I once tried a Sub, Calm Mind, Dragon Claw, Recover Latios coupled with this set, but Latios had way too much trouble with strong Struggles as they just destroyed it's Sub with ease.

Mr.Mime@Starf Berry, Timid, Soundproof, 252 HP, 28 Def, 228 Speed, Substitute, Baton Pass, Recycle, [something]
The idea is basically to get to low HP and trigger Starf Berry activation as many times as possible and then BPing the random stats to a mixed sweeper. I was trying to copy the Accupressure set that Drapion uses in Gen 4, but this one is very limited because it's difficult to get to low HP without losing the Sub. I guess if you can lock the enemy in a support move, you can keep switching in and out until you're low enough for the Berry to activate. Fun idea, but I never got it to work...

Weezing@Choice Band, Adamant, Levitate, 240 HP, 252 Atk, 16 Speed, Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, HP Fighting, Will-o-Wisp
Yeah... it's CB Weezing. But it sure packs a punch. Nice coverage and still fairly bulky. Could actually switch WoW to Explosion though.

Dodrio@Choice Band, Jolly, Early Bird, 252 Atk, 36 Def, 220 Speed, Drill Peck, Return, Quick Attack, HP Ground
It's basically the standard OU set, but slightly altered. The strongest and bulkiest Meteor Mashing Metagross in the tower has a 6.3% chance of OHKOing Dodrio, while Dodrio has a 80.9% to 2HKO. Pretty decent odds. And if I were to run Adamant, I would have a guaranteed 2HKO, but I think that'd be a waste. It's very situational anyway haha.

Ludicolo@Petaya Berry, Modest, Swift Swim, 40 HP, 252 SpAtk, 216 Speed, HP Grass, Surf, Ice Beam, Rain Dance
I'd preferably run Sub somewhere to trigger Petaya safer, but as it stands, Water/Ice is bad coverage, but so is Grass/Water. Grass/Ice is potentially the best coverage but if you're not using Surf, you're missing the point of this set entirely anyway. Afer a Rain Dance, if I'm not mistaken, this set outspeeds EVERYTHING that the BT has to offer as Salac Kangaskhan is the fastest, sitting at 459 Speed after the boost. Surf just hits sooo hard. And with the coverage that the other two moves bring, you'll still do a lot. It's interesting how Rain boosted Surf can even outdamage SE moves sometimes. Absolute monster, but losing Rain is pretty big.

Kingdra@Petaya Berry, Modest, Swift Swim, 148 HP, 8 Def, 252 SpAtk, 4 SDef, 96 Speed, Surf, HP Dragon, Substitute, Rain Dance
In the same vein as the set above, but this one foregoes Ice Beam and instead uses Sub. HP Dragon after a Petaya boost still hits fairly well. I don't remember damage ranges, but I believe they were very good on other Dragons even when missing the 4x weakness hit.

Registeel@Leftovers, Careful, Clear Body, 252 HP, 192 Def, 60 SDef, 4 Speed, HP Steel, Curse, Amnesia, Substitute
It's basically the Iron Head set from Gen 4 Battle Frontier. Not nearly as good, but it's still fun too try. Both Iron Head and HP Steel aren't amazing moves either, but at least nothing is immune so with patience, you can get there. As long as your Sub is at full health though and you don't get any crits, it can even beat Fire types since it generally 2HKOs them.

Charizard@Salac Berry, Jolly, Blaze, 252 Atk, 64 Def, 12 SDef, 180 Speed, Substitute, Belly Drum, HP Flying, Earthquake
This is basically the Drum set for Zard, but with altered EVs for Battle Tower. Outspeeds everything after a Salac Boost and does a ton of damage. It has obvious issues with Skarmory, but there's not much I can do about it. Setting up can be tricky too.

Volbeat@Choice Band, Jolly, Swarm, 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed, Signal Beam, Shadow Ball, Brick Break, Trick
What more is there to say other than that Banded Volbeat is fun. Strong Bug types are actually pretty good in the Tower I've noticed. I've used both SD and Banded HP Bug Pinsir for example and it just wrecks honestly.

I could go on and on, but Emerald Battle Tower is fun. Too bad it's a little slow sometimes. I think I'll try and catch the same Steelix you caught (just not shiny since I'm lazy). Good stuff.

Late post, but I only now noticed it because of a friend re-inspiring me to play the Battle Frontier. Very interesting and entertaining read. I've always thought that the RNG in Emerald isn't as unbeatable as people were claiming. I've used a lot of different teams and weird setups but the team I had the most success with was:

Salamance@Choice Band
~Adamant, Intimidate
EVs: HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Rock Slide/Double Edge/Fire Blast

Very simple but very effective. It hits crazy hard. I kinda wanted to run HP Flying since Aerial Ace really isn't all that, but Aerial Ace is just to important because of DTers. You can even beat DT Registeel (albeit very very slowly...). I could never figure out what to run on the fourth slot and looking back, Hidden Power of any random types would have worked. Bug or Rock maybe?

Milotic@Leftovers
~Bold, Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP, don't remember the rest but I'll look it up eventually
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Toxic is absolutely vital to beat the bulky Waters that plague the tower. Ice Beam is great because it makes sure that Dragons don't deal too much damage as this team has a slight Dragon weakness. Good Defensive wall. Recover is just way better than Rest except when you're Toxic'd. But for that, I have...

Blissey@Lum Berry
~Calm, Natural Cure
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Aromatherapy
- Ice Beam

The Specially Defensive wall. I might have more SDef on her but I don't remember. She deals with Dragons in a pinch but more importantly, she stalls and heals status plus is protected against status when switched.
If only I could have one with Wish...

The team heavily focuses on dealing raw damage with Mence and running when something dangerous pops up. It has issues with last mon CurseLax. And now that I think about it, a specific Electabuzz sounds like a huge threat. Switching around does help quite a bit and is the core strat when Mence fails. I got to battle 140 and lost to the Brain's CurseLax. Next time I reached that fight, I took with me the following:

Weezing@Leftovers
~Bold, Levitate
- Flamethrower
- Will-o-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Haze

This beast absolutely destroys any kind of Snorlax. I took it with me from battles 134-140 and while I had some issues with the upcoming battles, Anabel was easy. Full of confidence, I took Weezing with me for the next string of battles but got absolutely destroyed by a Psychic Medicham. IIRC, I took Weezing over Mence. Should've used an Impish Weezing after all. Whoops.

Mind you, I had EVed my mons as if they were level 100 so they might not have had the best EV spreads.

Back then, I had no way of obtaining any good mons outside of breeding with fast RNGable spreads (31/19/31/30/30/31 for example). Nowadays though, I can get my hands on anything. And there's a good chance I already have whatever it is I could want. I should definitely try out your team since it sounds really nice!

I've bred a lot of joke/meme sets or otherwise fun mons since I like Gen 3 BT so much more than other generations. Maybe it's because you don't have a lot of options or it's harder to fit everything in one team, but making weird sets is cool because they'd never work competitively. Though I do wanna run HP Fire Nasty Plot Weavile in Gen 4 one day. Or Rock Head Aerodactyl with Brave Bird, spore and two other recoil moves of my choosing lol.

Anyway, a couple of things I've used:
Aerodactyl@Leftovers, Jolly, Pressure, 208 HP, 4 Atk, 124 Def, 44 SDef, 128 Speed, Rock Slide, Taunt, Protect, Substitute
Good HP to make four Subs and still get a perfect Leftovers recovery number while also gaining enough HP back to make a fifth Sub. Enough Speed to outspeed 359s, because trying to tie with 394 Speed Jolteon is a battle you don't ever wanna mess with anyway. With Pressure, Sub and Protect, this eats through PP like it's nothing. If you've got nothing to do, you can attack with Rock Slide. A lot of fun, just not really that good against mons with a lot of attacking moves.

Linoone@Choice Band, Jolly, Pickup, 192 HP, 48 Def, 48 SDef, 220 Speed, Trick, Charm, Thunder Wave, Return
It's basically Trick Alakazam, but bulkier. It's actually interesting how bulky Linoone can be. Enough Speed to reach 320. Rest in HP and defenses. It Tricks the opposing mon, then, if you survive, you either T-Wave or Charm, depending on the opposing mon. Usually, slow mons gets the Charm, fast mons get the Wave. Or all of it if you lock them into a support move. It's pretty neat, but locking mons in a strong Struggle can still be annoying if you're trying to Sub up with a squishy Calm Mind user. I once tried a Sub, Calm Mind, Dragon Claw, Recover Latios coupled with this set, but Latios had way too much trouble with strong Struggles as they just destroyed it's Sub with ease.

Mr.Mime@Starf Berry, Timid, Soundproof, 252 HP, 28 Def, 228 Speed, Substitute, Baton Pass, Recycle, [something]
The idea is basically to get to low HP and trigger Starf Berry activation as many times as possible and then BPing the random stats to a mixed sweeper. I was trying to copy the Accupressure set that Drapion uses in Gen 4, but this one is very limited because it's difficult to get to low HP without losing the Sub. I guess if you can lock the enemy in a support move, you can keep switching in and out until you're low enough for the Berry to activate. Fun idea, but I never got it to work...

Weezing@Choice Band, Adamant, Levitate, 240 HP, 252 Atk, 16 Speed, Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, HP Fighting, Will-o-Wisp
Yeah... it's CB Weezing. But it sure packs a punch. Nice coverage and still fairly bulky. Could actually switch WoW to Explosion though.

Dodrio@Choice Band, Jolly, Early Bird, 252 Atk, 36 Def, 220 Speed, Drill Peck, Return, Quick Attack, HP Ground
It's basically the standard OU set, but slightly altered. The strongest and bulkiest Meteor Mashing Metagross in the tower has a 6.3% chance of OHKOing Dodrio, while Dodrio has a 80.9% to 2HKO. Pretty decent odds. And if I were to run Adamant, I would have a guaranteed 2HKO, but I think that'd be a waste. It's very situational anyway haha.

Ludicolo@Petaya Berry, Modest, Swift Swim, 40 HP, 252 SpAtk, 216 Speed, HP Grass, Surf, Ice Beam, Rain Dance
I'd preferably run Sub somewhere to trigger Petaya safer, but as it stands, Water/Ice is bad coverage, but so is Grass/Water. Grass/Ice is potentially the best coverage but if you're not using Surf, you're missing the point of this set entirely anyway. Afer a Rain Dance, if I'm not mistaken, this set outspeeds EVERYTHING that the BT has to offer as Salac Kangaskhan is the fastest, sitting at 459 Speed after the boost. Surf just hits sooo hard. And with the coverage that the other two moves bring, you'll still do a lot. It's interesting how Rain boosted Surf can even outdamage SE moves sometimes. Absolute monster, but losing Rain is pretty big.

Kingdra@Petaya Berry, Modest, Swift Swim, 148 HP, 8 Def, 252 SpAtk, 4 SDef, 96 Speed, Surf, HP Dragon, Substitute, Rain Dance
In the same vein as the set above, but this one foregoes Ice Beam and instead uses Sub. HP Dragon after a Petaya boost still hits fairly well. I don't remember damage ranges, but I believe they were very good on other Dragons even when missing the 4x weakness hit.

Registeel@Leftovers, Careful, Clear Body, 252 HP, 192 Def, 60 SDef, 4 Speed, HP Steel, Curse, Amnesia, Substitute
It's basically the Iron Head set from Gen 4 Battle Frontier. Not nearly as good, but it's still fun too try. Both Iron Head and HP Steel aren't amazing moves either, but at least nothing is immune so with patience, you can get there. As long as your Sub is at full health though and you don't get any crits, it can even beat Fire types since it generally 2HKOs them.

Charizard@Salac Berry, Jolly, Blaze, 252 Atk, 64 Def, 12 SDef, 180 Speed, Substitute, Belly Drum, HP Flying, Earthquake
This is basically the Drum set for Zard, but with altered EVs for Battle Tower. Outspeeds everything after a Salac Boost and does a ton of damage. It has obvious issues with Skarmory, but there's not much I can do about it. Setting up can be tricky too.

Volbeat@Choice Band, Jolly, Swarm, 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed, Signal Beam, Shadow Ball, Brick Break, Trick
What more is there to say other than that Banded Volbeat is fun. Strong Bug types are actually pretty good in the Tower I've noticed. I've used both SD and Banded HP Bug Pinsir for example and it just wrecks honestly.

I could go on and on, but Emerald Battle Tower is fun. Too bad it's a little slow sometimes. I think I'll try and catch the same Steelix you caught (just not shiny since I'm lazy). Good stuff.
Aerial Ace on Banded Salamence???? Sub Protect Aerodactyl???? In Gen 3???

A very good read indeed, thank you for the OP. My take on the Battle Tower was inspired by the Choice Scarf Trick teams that grew popular in DPP. After watching a video of someone using Grudge alongside it, I (as a mathematician) immediately wanted to optimize the strategy. The following team really only has two problems, to be honest, and even in those scenarios it doesn't have a great chance of losing. My current record is 461 wins, and I was stopped by one of the threats I will discuss further on. "Are you ready? Here I come!":

General Strategy
The team, consisting of Zapdos, Alakazam and Tyranitar, focuses on giving the first opponent Pokémon a Choice Band, so they will have to use the same move over and over again. Due to the bad AI, the opponent will (generally, see below) not switch out of this situation. Once they start Struggling, the scenario is better than in DPP because Pokémon losing HP according to the damage they dealt instead of 1/4 of their max HP. Alakazam is used to cripple the opponent until it faints, which allows Zapdos to deplete PP with Pressure, Protect and Substitute. If there are extra turns somehow (and this happens most of the time), Double Teams can be passed to the sweeper, Tyranitar, as the opponent can do nothing but Struggle. The team underwent MANY changes; the teambuilding process can be found below.

This sort of team reduces and even minimalizes hax from turn 2, since Quick Claw cannot ruin the strategy beyond this point. By having a +6 Evasion / +6 Atk / +6 Spe Tyranitar behind a sub as a sweeper, the chances of breaking through are extremely small for the opponent's last two Pokémon (think, for example, of Focus Band / Brightpowder / Quick Claw).

The movesets

Alakazam @ Choice Band
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 220 HP / 152 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Kinesis
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic / Reflect

• Alakazam usually uses Trick on first turn, forcing Choice Band onto the opponent.
  • If the opposing Pokémon might be faster than Zapdos and is not a Ground-type, OR the move used by the opponent is more suited to setup on than Struggle, e.g. if the opponent uses EQ, Thunder Wave on turn 2 if Alakazam still lives.
  • Otherwise Alakazam uses Kinesis (e.g. Flamethrowers / Ice Beams from Pokémon that are slower than Zapdos). Be sure not to use Thunder Wave against Pokémon with the Guts ability.
  • Synchronize paralyzes faster Pokémon such as Manectric if they get the paralysis with Thunderbolt, so Zapdos can then setup on them without being vulnerable to critical hits or paralysis.
  • If the opponent uses Toxic, they will only get 'normally' poisoned. In that case, switch to Zapdos, setup a Substitute and start Dragon Dancing with Tyranitar immediately before the opponent faints due to Sandstorm and poison damage.
  • EVs: To hit 341 speed, and enough Defense to live non-crit Rhydon's EQ / Metagross Meteor Mash if QC activates on turn 1. Snorlax' and Granbull's Mega Kick is stronger, but these are less threatening to the team. The minimum defensive investment was used to attain this bulk, so it remains moderately bulky on the special side, too. This is especially useful against QC Crunch Tyranitar, which it survives about 85% of the time. A problem which cannot be avoided without giving up ALL speed is QC Ursaring's Double-Edge, which is one of the (two) major threats to the team.
Zapdos @ Ganlon Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 120 Def / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Double Team
- Baton Pass

• Zapdos alternates Protect and Substitute to deplete opponent's PP. This outstall all 15 PP moves (outside of Sand Stream), and anything with more PP is usually not threatening.
  • Uses Double Team when it is safe to do so (behind a Substitute in most cases) in order to build up Evasion and when Protect isn't needed.
  • The Ganlon Berry makes sure Tyranitar's Substitute doesn't break against a +1 CB Metagross and greatly helps against other Pokémon too. If the opponent doesn't have a very high Attack stat, Tyranitar's Substitute will usually take even two hits with the Ganlon boost.
  • The main advantage of Zapdos over Grudge users is that it resists Megahorns and Meteor Mashes, so it can use Double Team, also reducing the chances of Metagross boosting its Attack. This is better than stalling with Substitute.
  • EVs: Hits 300 Speed, which is enough because anything between Zapdos' and Alakazam's Speed can be Thunder Waved if Alakazam doesn't get some hax. The Defensive spread allows Zapdos to live through critical hit Meteor Mashes and Megahorns (see below). Zapdos can make four substitutes. Zapdos is not made as bulky as possible on the physical side, because a little special bulk gives it a good chance to (almost) outstall e.g. Starmie or Manectric that manages to hit Alakazam with a critical hit STAB move.
Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 240 HP / 232 Atk / 24 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Earthquake

• In the ideal situation, Tyranitar comes in with a Substitute and some evasion boosts from Zapdos. Then it starts Dancing up, using Substitute whenever this is needed to be safe. At +4, Tyranitar OHKOes everything but Flygon and Claydol, and at +6, everything but Claydol (Breloom faints at +4 already, lol).
  • Hidden Power Rock is chosen over Rock Slide for obvious accuracy reasons; flinching isn't necessary in non-pinch situations anyway.
  • If one foregoes EQ for e.g. Curse, there are problems with Steelix and Rhydon, as well as other Pokémon that survive the HP Rock. You don't want to give the AI turns to increase their chance of haxing through in any way.
  • Tyranitar's Sand Stream has upsides and downsides. When Tyrantiar doesn't get enough boosts, the chip damage on the new Pokémon sent in might help KOing it. Also it limits some Focus Band Pokémon to only one potential turn of surviving, such as Blastoise. The downsides: Sandstorm reduces the time to setup against Struggle users that used a recoil move beforehand, such as Double-Edge Fearow. And Shedinja (see below). Finally, it makes defensive switching between Zapdos and Tyranitar harder in a pinch since Zapdos takes damage.
  • EVs: The twelve Speed EVs allow Tyranitar to outspeed every Pokémon in the Tower at +3 and outspeed the 319 tier at +2. The HP and Defense EVs allow Tyranitar's substitute to survive ALL Choice Band Struggles except Medicham's, but Medicham is no threat at all since never uses a Fighting move and Shadow Ball is easier to setup on than Struggle. Rock Slide makes me get the Ganlon boost. This defensive bulk is attained with maximum HP; the special bulk could be important against Modest QC Tyranitar (if it does manage to KO Alakazam) or a special sweeper such as Starmie that has one Surf left (this is extremely rare since it has to Crit Alakazam and get a certain roll against Zapdos). Rest into Attack for maximizing sweeping potential if too few Dances can be done.
Threatlist
Some of these are threats that can be circumvented easily (green). I still include them because they require a slightly different playstyle (these are reasons I lost my streak before, because I wasn't thinking). Orange is pretty problematic but still rarely a problem, while red indicates problems where I don't even need to be VERY unlucky to lose.

Pokémon with a high Attack stat
Usually this is OK because the team (the Zapdos in particular) is designed to handle these. These are the 'OK' Pokémon:
  • Heracross: It always uses Megahorn as far as I've seen. If it misses Alakazam, hitting it with Kinesis is pretty much an autowin. Otherwise, use Protect with Zapdos on turn 2, and Substitute three times. If a Megahorn missed, set up evasion. If it hits all Megahorns, Protect on the last Megahorn before using the last Substitute; since Zapdos' Substitute survives the Struggle with about 70% chance, usually one extra Double Team may be passed to Tyranitar. I've never lost to Heracross.
  • Metagross: Use Protect + Double Team first two turns with Zapdos in all cases. Using Double Team after Protecting with Zapdos reduces the probability of Metagross getting an Attack raise, which is better than outstalling with Substitute. The routine is usually Protect, Double Team, Protect, Substitute for the first turns. With the Ganlon Berry and +1 Evasion, Tyranitar should be able to setup against +1 Gross, and often against +2 Gross as well if it misses once or twice (but it will not be likely that TTar gets to +5/6).
  • Medicham: Use Thunder Wave instead of Trick, because Hi Jump Kick will kill Medicham when Protected against. Only one set remains dangerous: the Lum Berry set. Try to pass some evasion to Tyranitar; this Medicham is precisely the one that has no Fighting move :)
  • Aerodactyl: Luckily, the only sets that run Rock Slide are slower than Zapdos. The faster sets use Ancientpower, which is easily outstalled.
  • Salamence: Not a problem at all because it can't boost its Attack or outspeed Zapdos.
  • Slaking: Irrelevant.
Pokémon faster than Alakazam
There aren't many of these:
  • Jolteon: There's a Modest and a Timid one, and the Modest one has a Cheri Berry. The best option is to actually use Kinesis instead of Trick, I think, because that accomplishes something no matter what. Then Zapdos has to take one Thunderbolt, but with some -1 Accuracy the Jolteon will probably run out of PP (against 'slowsubbing + protect') before I have to sack Zapdos. Even when it gets through Zapdos, it will have very few Thunderbolts against Tyranitar, although it could potentially Thunder Wave. This is the reason Trick is not such a bad idea either. The Double Kick variant is slower than Zapdos.
  • Crobat: Use Thunder Wave, as no Crobat can heal itself with a berry. Alakazam survives non-crit Shadow Ball, and Tyranitar can withstand all attacks. Be sure to build up evasion and stall with Zapdos, because Sludge Bomb can poison. Don't use Trick by all means, because if it uses Double-Edge it kills itself too quickly and Sludge Bomb becomes a tad too strong.
  • Ninjask: Use Trick and laugh.
Turn 1 Curse
For non-Ghost types, it might be dangerous if they get at +6 since Tyranitar gets no Defense. The strategy here is to use Thunder Wave and directly switch to Tyranitar so you can get at +6 before they run out of PP. Thunder Wave helps with Full Paras.
For Ghost-types, such as Dusclops, just let Alakazam die while it uses Twave/Kinesis and proceed with Substitute on Zapdos. That way, the Ghost doesn't kill itself since Curse fails against Substitute.

Turn 1 Perish Song
On turn 2, use Trick again to re-obtain the Choice Band as they use their second Perish Song. Then, switch to Zapdos while they use something else. Immediately switch back to Alakazam, as the opponent switches out as well. Then proceed as usual. Since the only serious users of Perish Song are a Jynx without Ice Beam, an Altaria, and a Misdreavus, the worst that can happen is Zapdos getting paralyzed or Mean Looked. If it gets paralyzed, it can usually still do a pretty good job (especially if Alakazam can paralyze the opponent) and if it gets Mean Looked, use Double Team in order to get a head start in stalling out the next Pokémon.

First opponent is Wobbuffet
Just wait until it has to use Struggle, and let it KO Alakazam. This takes some time, but isn't really a problem.

First opponent is Shedinja
There is only one Shedinja set in the Tower, and it has no Attack EVs LOL. Setting up with Zapdos is very easy when Shedinja is paralyzed, but once Tyranitar is sent in, Shedinja faints. And only +6 Evasion isn't going to cut it in some cases, so I thought of another way. Switch to Zapdos on turn 1, and start the usual stall routine. Confuse Ray is the worst you can get, but usually it prefers Shadow Ball or Silver Wind. Keep track of Shedinja's PP, outstall the Shedinja and pass back to Alakazam on the turn it starts using Struggle. Then Alakazam probably has a Substitute up and has many evasion boosts. Start using Trick and hope that Shedinja will use Struggle at a moment where it doesn't have the Choice Band. This is a 50/50 chance (Shedinja is also holding Lax Incense, but that may work against you as well). If Shedinja faints while it is holding the Choice Band, Alakazam is free to choose whichever move it wants, so it can still use Twave and many Kineses against the following Pokémon, hopefully making up for the HP Zapdos lost.

Quick Claw OHKO users
Any team without a Sturdy user has to be afraid of these, but at least Zapdos will drain four PP guaranteed before going down, and if Quick Claw doesn't activate on crucial turns, Substitute/Protect will outstall quickly.

First opponent is Rhydon
Quick Claw Rhydon is one of the very few Pokémon that can KO Alakazam without a critical hit (with Megahorn) before it gets Tricked. If that happens, Zapdos has to stall out Rock Slides fighting 'uphill' against Quick Claw. While the probability of this happening is pretty low, it is a serious threat. Try to pass a Ganlon and one evasion boost to Tyranitar and sweep as soon as possible (at +2). It also has Horn Drill, which lame of course.

Second or third opponent is Claydol
Claydol is the only Pokémon that can consistently do something against TTar when it is fully boosted. It can use Psych Up after surviving the HP[Rock] and then it outspeeds with EQ. Depending on the number of Double Teams I have, this turns into a hax game in my advantage (because I Always hit it before it uses Psych Up), but after it uses Psych Up and with +6 Evasion it might be better to try and outstall its EQ's with Substitute. Sadly I don't have enough Substitutes to outstall the Rock Slides as well, but if EQ misses a lot, I might get a better chance of winning due to high HP. +6 Claydol Rock Slide 2HKOs Tyranitar, while +5 Rock Slide has less than 8% (to be very safe) to 2HKO with Leftovers and evasion factored in. Therefore, getting TTar to +5 is maybe actually better than +6, amusingly.

Turn 1 Explosion
Not much to say here. It's extremely rare, but when it happens it need some luck with the next Pokémon and hope Zapdos can stall important moves out and setup. If it's convenient, use Tyranitar for defensive switching, but keep in mind that Zapdos doesn't have Leftovers. Once, I Tricked vs a Claydol that used Explosion and I survived the hit because of its own Focus Band, letting me use Thunder Wave on the incoming Rapidash and win the battle.

Consistent Problem #1: Muk
An Original 'counter' to this team: Sticky Hold. Of the four Muk present in the Tower, there is only one threat: Quick Claw with Sludge Bomb / Brick Break / Giga Drain / Explosion. Alakazam cannot take the risk of it maybe having the Stench ability, and Zapdos is afraid to setup because this Muk likes to use QC Explosion at full HP sometimes. To make things worse, Brick Break owns Tyranitar. I used to have Skill Swap on Zam (also to help against Medicham / Wobbuffet) so I could remove the ability, then switch out and in to use Trick, but as this Muk uses moves very unpredictably, it didn't really help most of the time. An option would be to use either Psychic or Reflect, but I'm still working on the probabilities in combiation with Zapdos. This thing is a monster. Any ideas?

Consistent Problem #2: Ursaring
Quick Claw Double-Edge OHKOs Alakazam, and even if I can use Kinesis or Trick, Double-Edge deals too much recoil damage to Ursaring, making it faint against Tyranitar before I can properly set up. I'm not sure whether Kinesis, Trick or Psychic is the better thing to use on turn 1, because this Ursaring always has ways to get me. If I get Lucky with Zapdos, I might win the battle, but Ursaring is really a pain in the ass and I wish they would be some way to deal with it. For now, the only reasonable option seems to use Gengar instead of Zapdos, but then I lose so many other privileges.

Even though the consistent problems are hard to get by, I think this is still easily the most dependable Tower team I have seen and used until now. It's optimized and has an almost 'perfect' feel to it.

Teambuilding Process
At first, the team consisted of Alakazam, Ninetales and Salamence. Ninetales uses Grudge so they use Struggle against Salamence, which intimidates them before and is quite bulky. Salamence sweeps with either Sub/DD/HPFlying/EQ or Sub/DD/DoubleTeam/HPFlying. Aerial Ace is an option for prevent Brightpowder shenanigans. Salamence has problems to setup in Sandstorm, and might get stuck against Curse / ChestoRest Skarmory.

And Ninetales isn't fast enough for stuff like Aerodactyl and Starmie (should they get by Alakazam unparalyzed), and it might get paralyzed by random Thunderbolt before it uses Grudge. For the first problem, I ran EndureSalac and for the second problem, I ran Safeguard on Alakazam and also Substitute on Ninetales. So it then has Sub/Endure/Grudge/Filler, and the filler is either Charm or Will-o-Wisp. Still, this has problems against Metagross that receives Attack boosts.

I replaced Ninetales with Gengar (Grudge, Sub, Endure, Filler (Skill Swap for Muk or Hypnosis in general)), which allowed me to use Tyranitar as fast Earthquakes are no longer a threat. It's immunity to Normal-type moves is fantastic, because it owns Ursaring. But again, Attack raises from Meteor Mash are game-breaking. (And if Haze is used, Grudge cannot be used).

Then, I began experimenting with Pressurestall instead of Grudge. Raikou came to mind first, as it's the fastest Pressure Poke that resists Meteor Mash. It turned out to have to be level 98, because that admits a low-enough HP in combination with Sitrus Berry to survive all the assaults from Tyranitar due to round-off with sandstorm damage. The Raikou ran Sub/Protect/Twave/Reflect and this solved the Metagross problem to some extent, but it couldn't pass anything useful aside from Reflect to Tyranitar. Once I began using Evasion, Raikou was out of the picture.

Before Zapdos was considered, I tried using Articuno (Sub/Protect/Haze/Reflect) which solves the Metagross problem by Hazing before it faints, but this is too susceptible to Thunderbolt and a tad too slow. Moltres OHKOs Metagross, but the uncertainty of the next Pokémon is too dangerous. Umbreon is too vulnerable to hax and gets owned by Metagross hax.

Every option has its downsides, and trust me, I tried to use nearly everything relevant, even Shedinja.

Thank you for all the input so far. This post will be updated regularly.
In the pipeline: warstories

Last edited:
A very good read indeed, thank you for the OP. My take on the Battle Tower was inspired by the Choice Scarf Trick teams that grew popular in DPP. After watching a video of someone using Grudge alongside it, I (as a mathematician) immediately wanted to optimize the strategy. The following team really only has two problems, to be honest, and even in those scenarios it doesn't have a great chance of losing. My current record is 461 wins, and I was stopped by one of the threats I will discuss further on. "Are you ready? Here I come!":

General Strategy
The team, consisting of Zapdos, Alakazam and Tyranitar, focuses on giving the first opponent Pokémon a Choice Band, so they will have to use the same move over and over again. Due to the bad AI, the opponent will (generally, see below) not switch out of this situation. Once they start Struggling, the scenario is better than in DPP because Pokémon losing HP according to the damage they dealt instead of 1/4 of their max HP. Alakazam is used to cripple the opponent until it faints, which allows Zapdos to deplete PP with Pressure, Protect and Substitute. If there are extra turns somehow (and this happens most of the time), Double Teams can be passed to the sweeper, Tyranitar, as the opponent can do nothing but Struggle. The team underwent MANY changes; the teambuilding process can be found below.

This sort of team reduces and even minimalizes hax from turn 2, since Quick Claw cannot ruin the strategy beyond this point. By having a +6 Evasion / +6 Atk / +6 Spe Tyranitar behind a sub as a sweeper, the chances of breaking through are extremely small for the opponent's last two Pokémon (think, for example, of Focus Band / Brightpowder / Quick Claw).

The movesets

Alakazam @ Choice Band
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 220 HP / 152 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Kinesis
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic / Reflect

• Alakazam usually uses Trick on first turn, forcing Choice Band onto the opponent.
  • If the opposing Pokémon might be faster than Zapdos and is not a Ground-type, OR the move used by the opponent is more suited to setup on than Struggle, e.g. if the opponent uses EQ, Thunder Wave on turn 2 if Alakazam still lives.
  • Otherwise Alakazam uses Kinesis (e.g. Flamethrowers / Ice Beams from Pokémon that are slower than Zapdos). Be sure not to use Thunder Wave against Pokémon with the Guts ability.
  • Synchronize paralyzes faster Pokémon such as Manectric if they get the paralysis with Thunderbolt, so Zapdos can then setup on them without being vulnerable to critical hits or paralysis.
  • If the opponent uses Toxic, they will only get 'normally' poisoned. In that case, switch to Zapdos, setup a Substitute and start Dragon Dancing with Tyranitar immediately before the opponent faints due to Sandstorm and poison damage.
  • EVs: To hit 341 speed, and enough Defense to live non-crit Rhydon's EQ / Metagross Meteor Mash if QC activates on turn 1. Snorlax' and Granbull's Mega Kick is stronger, but these are less threatening to the team. The minimum defensive investment was used to attain this bulk, so it remains moderately bulky on the special side, too. This is especially useful against QC Crunch Tyranitar, which it survives about 85% of the time. A problem which cannot be avoided without giving up ALL speed is QC Ursaring's Double-Edge, which is one of the (two) major threats to the team.
Zapdos @ Ganlon Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 120 Def / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Double Team
- Baton Pass

• Zapdos alternates Protect and Substitute to deplete opponent's PP. This outstall all 15 PP moves (outside of Sand Stream), and anything with more PP is usually not threatening.
  • Uses Double Team when it is safe to do so (behind a Substitute in most cases) in order to build up Evasion and when Protect isn't needed.
  • The Ganlon Berry makes sure Tyranitar's Substitute doesn't break against a +1 CB Metagross and greatly helps against other Pokémon too. If the opponent doesn't have a very high Attack stat, Tyranitar's Substitute will usually take even two hits with the Ganlon boost.
  • The main advantage of Zapdos over Grudge users is that it resists Megahorns and Meteor Mashes, so it can use Double Team, also reducing the chances of Metagross boosting its Attack. This is better than stalling with Substitute.
  • EVs: Hits 300 Speed, which is enough because anything between Zapdos' and Alakazam's Speed can be Thunder Waved if Alakazam doesn't get some hax. The Defensive spread allows Zapdos to live through critical hit Meteor Mashes and Megahorns, while still having enough HP left to make one more sub and activate the Ganlon Berry. Zapdos can make four substitutes. Zapdos is not made as bulky as possible on the physical side, because a little special bulk gives it a good chance to (almost) outstall e.g. Starmie or Manectric that manages to hit Alakazam with a critical hit STAB move.
Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 236 HP / 224 Atk / 44 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Earthquake

• In the ideal situation, Tyranitar comes in with a Substitute and some evasion boosts from Zapdos. Then it starts Dancing up, using Substitute whenever this is needed to be safe. At +4, Tyranitar OHKOes everything but Flygon and Claydol, and at +6, everything but Claydol (Breloom faints at +4 already, lol).
  • Hidden Power Rock is chosen over Rock Slide for obvious accuracy reasons; flinching isn't necessary in non-pinch situations anyway.
  • If one foregoes EQ for e.g. Curse, there are problems with Steelix and Rhydon, as well as other Pokémon that survive the HP Rock. You don't want to give the AI turns to increase their chance of haxing through in any way.
  • Tyranitar's Sand Stream has upsides and downsides. When Tyrantiar doesn't get enough boosts, the chip damage on the new Pokémon sent in might help KOing it. Also it limits some Focus Band Pokémon to only one potential turn of surviving, such as Blastoise. The downsides: Sandstorm reduces the time to setup against Struggle users that used a recoil move beforehand, such as Double-Edge Fearow. And Shedinja (see below). Finally, it makes defensive switching between Zapdos and Tyranitar harder in a pinch since Zapdos takes damage.
  • EVs: The four Speed EVs break speed ties, and allow Tyranitar to outspeed every Pokémon in the Tower at +3. The HP and Defense EVs allow Tyranitar's substitute to survive ALL Choice Band Struggles, if they aren't boosted in another way. This means it also survives +1 CB Struggle from Metagross if it has received the Ganlon boost. This defensive bulk is attained with maximum HP; the special bulk is sometimes important against Modest QC Tyranitar (if it does manage to KO Alakazam) or a special sweeper such as Starmie that has one Surf left (this is extremely rare since it has to Crit Alakazam and get a certain roll against Zapdos). The Attack EVs guarantee what was discussed in the first bullet.
Threatlist
Some of these are threats that can be circumvented easily. I still include the situations that require a slightly different playstyle (these are reasons I lost my streak before, because I wasn't thinking).

Turn 1 Curse
For non-Ghost types, it might be dangerous if they get at +6 since Tyranitar gets no Defense. The strategy here is to use Thunder Wave and directly switch to Tyranitar so you can get at +6 before they run out of PP. Thunder Wave helps with Full Paras.
For Ghost-types, such as Dusclops, just let Alakazam die while it uses Twave/Kinesis and proceed with Substitute on Zapdos. That way, the Ghost doesn't kill itself since Curse fails against Substitute.

Turn 1 Perish Song
On turn 2, use Trick again to re-obtain the Choice Band. Then, switch to Zapdos while they use Perish Song again. Immediately switch back to Alakazam, as the opponent switches out as well. Then proceed as usual. Since the only serious users of Perish Song is a Jynx without Ice Beam, an Altaria, and a Misdreavus, the worst that can happen is Zapdos getting paralyzed or Mean Looked. If it gets paralyzed, it can usually still do a pretty good job (especially if Alakazam can paralyze the opponent) and if it gets Mean Looked, use Substitute in order to get a head start in stalling out the next Pokémon.

Wobbuffet
Just wait until it has to use Struggle, and let it KO Alakazam. This takes some time, but isn't really a problem.

Shedinja
There is only one Shedinja set in the Tower, and it has no Attack EVs LOL. Setting up with Zapdos is very easy when Shedinja is paralyzed, but once Tyranitar is sent in, Shedinja faints. And only +6 Evasion isn't going to cut it in some cases, so I thought of another way. Switch to Zapdos on turn 1, and start the usual stall routine. Confuse Ray is the worst you can get, but usually it prefers Shadow Ball or Silver Wind. Keep track of Shedinja's PP, outstall the Shedinja and pass back to Alakazam on the turn it starts using Struggle. Then Alakazam probably has a Substitute up and has many evasion boosts. Start using Trick and hope that Shedinja will use Struggle at a moment where it doesn't have the Choice Band. This is a 50/50 chance (Shedinja is also holding Lax Incense, but that may work against you as well). If Shedinja faints while it is holding the Choice Band, Alakazam is free to choose whichever move it wants, so it can still use Twave and many Kineses against the following Pokémon, hopefully making up for the HP Zapdos lost.

Quick Claw OHKO users
Any team without a Sturdy user has to be afraid of these, but at least Zapdos will drain four PP guaranteed before going down, and if Quick Claw doesn't activate on crucial turns, Substitute/Protect will outstall quickly.

Rhydon
Quick Claw Rhydon is one of the very few Pokémon that can KO Alakazam without a critical hit (with Megahorn) before it gets Tricked. If that happens, Zapdos has to stall out Rock Slides fighting 'uphill' against Quick Claw. While the probability of this happening is pretty low, it is a serious threat. Try to pass a Ganlon and one evasion boost to Tyranitar and sweep as soon as possible (at +2). It also has Horn Drill, which lame of course.

Consistent Problem #1: Muk
An Original 'counter' to this team: Sticky Hold. Of the four Muk present in the Tower, there is only one threat: Quick Claw with Sludge Bomb / Brick Break / Giga Drain / Explosion. Alakazam cannot take the risk of it maybe having the Stench ability, and Zapdos is afraid to setup because this Muk likes to use QC Explosion at full HP sometimes. To make things worse, Brick Break owns Tyranitar. I used to have Skill Swap on Zam (also to help against Medicham / Wobbuffet) so I could remove the ability, then switch out and in to use Trick, but as this Muk uses moves very unpredictably, it didn't really help most of the time. An option would be to use either Psychic or Reflect, but I'm still working on the probabilities in combiation with Zapdos. This thing is a monster. Any ideas?

Consistent Problem #2: Ursaring -- This is the REAL threat
Quick Claw Double-Edge OHKOs Alakazam, and even if I can use Kinesis or Trick, Double-Edge deals too much recoil damage to Ursaring, making it faint against Tyranitar before I can properly set up. I'm not sure whether Kinesis, Trick or Psychic is the better thing to use on turn 1, because this Ursaring always has ways to get me. If I get Lucky with Zapdos, I might win the battle, but Ursaring is really a pain in the ass and I wish they would be some way to deal with it. For now, the only reasonable option seems to use Gengar instead of Zapdos, but then I lose so many other privileges.

Even though the consistent problems are hard to get by, I think this is still easily the most dependable Tower team I have seen and used until now. It's optimized and has an almost 'perfect' feel to it.

Teambuilding Process
At first, the team consisted of Alakazam, Ninetales and Salamence. Ninetales uses Grudge so they use Struggle against Salamence, which intimidates them before and is quite bulky. Salamence sweeps with either Sub/DD/HPFlying/EQ or Sub/DD/DoubleTeam/HPFlying. Aerial Ace is an option for prevent Brightpowder shenanigans. Salamence has problems to setup in Sandstorm, and might get stuck against Curse / ChestoRest Skarmory.

And Ninetales isn't fast enough for stuff like Aerodactyl and Starmie (should they get by Alakazam unparalyzed), and it might get paralyzed by random Thunderbolt before it uses Grudge. For the first problem, I ran EndureSalac and for the second problem, I ran Safeguard on Alakazam and also Substitute on Ninetales. So it then has Sub/Endure/Grudge/Filler, and the filler is either Charm or Will-o-Wisp. Still, this has problems against Metagross that receives Attack boosts.

I replaced Ninetales with Gengar (Grudge, Sub, Endure, Filler (Skill Swap for Muk or Hypnosis in general)), which allowed me to use Tyranitar as fast Earthquakes are no longer a threat. It's immunity to Normal-type moves is fantastic, because it owns Ursaring. But again, Attack raises from Meteor Mash are game-breaking. (And if Haze is used, Grudge cannot be used).

Then, I began experimenting with Pressurestall instead of Grudge. Raikou came to mind first, as it's the fastest Pressure Poke. It turned out to have to be level 98, because that admits a low-enough HP in combination with Sitrus Berry to survive all the assaults from Tyranitar due to round-off with sandstorm damage. The Raikou ran Sub/Protect/Twave/Reflect and this solved the Metagross problem to some extent, but it couldn't pass anything useful aside from Reflect to Tyranitar. Once I began using Evasion, Raikou was out of the picture.

Before Zapdos was considered, I tried using Articuno (Sub/Protect/Haze/Reflect) which solves the Metagross problem by Hazing before it faints, but this is too susceptible to Thunderbolt and a tad too slow. Moltres OHKOs Metagross, but the uncertainty of the next Pokémon is too dangerous. Umbreon is too vulnerable to hax and gets owned by Metagross hax.

Every option has its downsides, and trust me, I tried to use nearly everything relevant, even Shedinja.

Thank you for reading, and I'm curious to hear your suggestions / opinion.
I love your methodical approach to building this team, and it looks very solid.

Just wanted to comment on your Tyranitar's EV spread:
  • Running 240 HP EVs over 236: This gives Tyranitar 401 HP, which allows Tyranitar to make 4 subs without leftovers and 5 subs with. An odd HP stat is always preferable to survive an extra turn of residual damage (burn/leech seed/etc.), where even HP stats are used to activate pinch berries after 3 subs rather than 4. Max HP is a possability to hit 101 subs, but not much carries Seismic Toss/Night Shade in the Battle Tower.
  • Running 8 Speed EVs over 4: Your set has 4 Speed EVs to break speedties, but you have 30 Speed IVs from HP [Rock]. Not sure if just a typo, but 8 EVs are needed to outspeed other Tyranitar. A speed stat of either 158 (4 EVs) or 159 (8 EVs) outspeeds everything at +3.
  • As for these slight changes in EVs, you can reduce your defense EVs by 8 without it affecting much. You can even drop it down to 24 EVs if you really wanted to, while still keeping a sub against Choice Band Struggles.
    252+ Atk Choice Band Salamence Struggle vs. 240 HP / 36 Def Tyranitar: 83-98 (20.6 - 24.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
    Possible damage amounts: (83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98)
  • As for the defensive EVs surviving all Choice Band Struggles, Pure Power Medicham can break Tyranitar's sub. Not really a threat, more just a curiosity. This is irrelevant with a Ganlon Berry boost.
    252 Atk Choice Band Pure Power Medicham Struggle vs. 240 HP / 36 Def Tyranitar: 90-106 (22.4 - 26.4%) -- 14.4% chance to 4HKO
    Possible damage amounts: (90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 106)
That's all for now. Take my comments with a grain of salt, as I haven't used this team and I just wanted to share my thoughts about your team. I plan on trying out your team, and I'll share any findings or suggestions I come up with.

Thanks for sharing your team!

Last edited:
I love your methodical approach to building this team, and it looks very solid.

Just wanted to comment on your Tyranitar's EV spread:
  • Running 240 HP EVs over 236: This gives Tyranitar 401 HP, which allows Tyranitar to make 4 subs without leftovers and 5 subs with. An odd HP stat is always preferable to survive an extra turn of residual damage (burn/leech seed/etc.), where even HP stats are used to activate pinch berries after 3 subs rather than 4. Max HP is a possability to hit 101 subs, but not much carries Seismic Toss/Night Shade in the Battle Tower.
  • Running 8 Speed EVs over 4: Your set has 4 Speed EVs to break speedties, but you have 30 Speed IVs from HP [Rock]. Not sure if just a typo, but 8 EVs are needed to outspeed other Tyranitar. A speed stat of either 158 (4 EVs) or 159 (8 EVs) outspeeds everything at +3.
  • As for these slight changes in EVs, you can reduce your defense EVs by 8 without it affecting much. You can even drop it down to 24 EVs if you really wanted to, while still keeping a sub against Choice Band Struggles.
    252+ Atk Choice Band Salamence Struggle vs. 240 HP / 36 Def Tyranitar: 83-98 (20.6 - 24.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
    Possible damage amounts: (83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98)
  • As for the defensive EVs surviving all Choice Band Struggles, Pure Power Medicham can break Tyranitar's sub. Not really a threat, more just a curiosity. This is irrelevant with a Ganlon Berry boost.
    252 Atk Choice Band Pure Power Medicham Struggle vs. 240 HP / 36 Def Tyranitar: 90-106 (22.4 - 26.4%) -- 14.4% chance to 4HKO
    Possible damage amounts: (90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 106)
That's all for now. Take my comments with a grain of salt, as I haven't used this team and I just wanted to share my thoughts about your team. I plan on trying out your team, and I'll share any findings or suggestions I come up with.

Thanks for sharing your team!
Thanks for the reply, and you're totally right about the TTar spread. 401 HP is probably better, although I've never had to use five subs in succession yet. Running 160 speed might be an improvement; the 319 tier is outrun after only two dances. Rest into Attack. I think maximizing the probability of sweeping with too few Dances is more important than being bulky on the special side, since I was never stopped by not having sufficient Special bulk yet.

As for the the "best" strategy against Muk and Ursaring: Using Psychic seems to be the best way, and then finish them off with Tyranitar. Muk only beats Alakazam if Quick Claw activates on turn 2 (or if it uses Explosion, but I've never seen that before), and with Ursaring it's at least 2v2, but Zapdos might not be able to do anything useful.

Another "problem" I have forgotten to mention: Psych Up Claydol. If TTar's sub gets broken by a Quick Claw or something against the second Poke, Claydol can come in, survive the HP Rock and use Psych Up. Then I have to dodge an EQ and hit with HP[Rock] since it outspeeds me (186 speed is too much to make up for). I could actually just spam substitutes, which probably outstalls EQ, but Claydol's Rock Slide is threatening as well at +6. I guess there's some Evasion 'threshold' from where that could become the better strategy. Can't really think of two other attacking moves on Tyranitar that maintain the current solidity of sweeping.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)