The 1v1 Metagame

So is Abomasnow really good in 1v1 thanks to its 100 accuracy Blizzard?
No, because it's usually outsped unless it's Scarf or something.

I also tend to notice that this can be a very fun metagame, but I've noticed that the entire metagame shifts a bit with every hour it seems. For example, I was using my own modifications to a CM/IronD Bronzong, and while it was doing well at first, a fair number of TrickScarfers and Encore users shown up. I also noticed trends involving Custap Blaze/Torrent users with the elemental Hyper Beams. :/

I can likely share some odd Infernape set I've seen be used against me when I was laddering on Pokemon Online with Bronzong. It seems only really dangerous if you can't outspeed, lack priority, or are weak to fire. I've also seen an Empoleon and Blaziken variant.

Infernape, likely 252 in both speed and SpA. Custap Berry.
Endure/Blast Burn/Encore/Close Combat

Basically, it tried to get into a Blaze Boosted Blast Burn by Enduring a combat technique, or simply punishing a boosting move with Encore. However, I noticed it still lacked in power. Bronzong was able to survive one and KO with Psychic. Seems high-risk, high reward, but the power seems lacking.

How do you handle:

Breloom @ Toxic Orb Lv. 100 -- Poison Heal
Nature: Jolly - EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd (52.5 %)
Focus Punch
Seed Bomb
Spore
Substitute

Toxic Orb prevents yawn from working, and Seed Bomb kills.
I tried a variation of this, with Thunderpunch over Sub. It sucks. You are too slow. Most things outspeed you.

I'm looking for a Nature and an EV spread for the next

Code:
Spiritomb @ Choice Specs
Nature + EV's here
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Dark Pulse
HP Fighting
Question 2: How do you handle Blisseys? They simply Toxic Stall me.

I can likely share some odd Infernape set I've seen be used against me when I was laddering on Pokemon Online with Bronzong. It seems only really dangerous if you can't outspeed, lack priority, or are weak to fire. I've also seen an Empoleon and Blaziken variant.

Infernape, likely 252 in both speed and SpA. Custap Berry.
Endure/Blast Burn/Encore/Close Combat

Basically, it tried to get into a Blaze Boosted Blast Burn by Enduring a combat technique, or simply punishing a boosting move with Encore. However, I noticed it still lacked in power. Bronzong was able to survive one and KO with Psychic. Seems high-risk, high reward, but the power seems lacking.
But now everyone runs some kind of priority or protect for endure (protect also helps against slaking)

Also I'm pretty sure Explosion and Destiny Bond are both banned.
The following are banned, at least on the tier we have on Pokemon Online for this.

Uber-Tier Pokemon
Focus Sash
Tie-forcing moves (Explosion, SelfDestruct, Destiny Bond)

Everything else is fair game. However, I've noticed the majority of items are either Resist Berries (Rindo Swampert), Choice Items (Often used with Trick. 90% of the Jirachi's I've fought had been choiced.), Custap Berry/Boost Berry (Starter Hyper Beam combinations, or Endure Reversal), or Mail in the event of Blissey.

I've also come up with a Bronzong Set that I've been experimenting with. It's fairly good to use in tangent with the previous Calm Mind/Iron Defense Bronzong earlier, as it runs of the same EVs.

BaitZong
252 HP/104 Defense/152 Special Defense
Levitate or Heatproof (Depends if the tier knows you ran Heatproof earlier)
Choice Band
Trick/Payback/Zen Headbutt/Earthquake

Basically, if I notice a large amount of Trick users in the ladder, I pull this one out. It's a solid 2HKO on most Flinch Jirachi with Earthquake, can survive a Flamethrower/Close Combat from Infernape (Depends on set though or if it's Blast Burn Variant. Heatproof can survive with about 15%, Levitate is fucked.), and can ruin nearly any set that uses Trick without Flame Orb.

I've noticed the only things it ever loses to is CounterBliss (They run Mail simply to block Trick.), EncoreZam, and a 50/50 chance against Dragonite. Also, any form of Sleep destroys Zong unless you can Trick on Yawn or something.

Dragonite @ Iron Ball
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Sassy (SpD+ / Spe-)
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 HP / 192 SpD / 24 Spe

Moves
-Fling
-Draco Meteor
-ExtremeSpeed
-Superpower / Sleep Talk

First run on making something for this format. Fling + Iron Ball gives a powerful combination few will expect, especially Trick users who will end up being slower than Dragonite and eating their own Choice item in the face, albeit at a terrible base damage of 10 (compared to Iron Ball's base of 130). The given EVs allow you to outspeed max EVd, positive natured, base 115 Pokemon like Starmie that Trick into your Iron Ball while giving you excellent likelihood to survive special Ice-type attacks from even a Life Orber. The rest get dumped into Attack as it is your most common attacking stat.

Mixing physical attacks with the special Draco Meteor hopefully gets you around a Protect/CounterCoat Pokemon like the Swampert mentioned earlier in thread. Problem is the last move slot, you lose to a Sleep based Pokemon without Sleep Talk in the set, but Steel-types resist Normal, Dark, and Dragon attacks so you're in a bad spot without the Fighting-type coverage. Still, this Dragonite is pretty unique and the surprise factor alone may result in wins. Advice is welcome.

Been playing this 1v1 Metagame for the past week and it is refreshing to play.
Its nice to play the game where there are different tactics than the usual ones you see in the OU Metagame.

So the main pokemon I have used is the following...

Breloom @ Custap Berry - Jolly
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 Atk - 252 Speed

Moves:
~ Endure
~ Spore
~ Focus Punch
~ Stone Edge

Nice Moveset that is easy to use.. Endure if your slower or Spore If your faster. If you Endure then Custap will activate and you Spore next turn. After than throw the STAB Focus Punches around the place like no tomorrow! Stone Edge for a coverage move that Focus Punch just wont do the work against.

Here is something else I threw together that I like to use for the Surprise factor!

Sceptile @ Wide Lens - Timid
Ability: Overgrow
Evs: 252 SpAtk - 252 Speed

Moves:
~ GrassWistle
~ Leaf Storm
~ Focus Blast
~ Hidden Power Ice

GrassWistle on a Sceptile is a little Surprise Factor and with Wide Lens it has a higher chance of hitting. Leaf Storm is the most powerful grass attack that Sceptile can learn bar Frenzy Plant.
Focus Blast is a nice Fighting move for Sceptile and with Wide Lens there is less chance of it missing. Hidden Power Ice is for the Pesky dragons that might try and ruin the party.

Code:
Weavile (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Night Slash
- Ice Punch
- Brick Break
- Poison Jab/Shadow Claw
Any comments?

Code:
Weavile (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Night Slash
- Ice Punch
- Brick Break
- Poison Jab/Shadow Claw
Any comments?
Poison jab? shadow claw? Those moves don't offer any coverage whatsoever. At least use aerial ace to hit fighting types a little bit harder. Low kick is usually better than brick break. Though I don't see this working too well due to weavile's tendency to rollover and die to any move. To make matters worse, the low BP of its attacks means it may struggle to kill a lot of things.

Except I don't think alakazam can take a hit.
Here's what I use, it does REALLY WELL sometimes, but other times the ladder is prepared for it.
Alakazam (ZAMwow) @ Sitrus Berry/Air Mail
252 HP/252 Speed/6 Special Defense|Timid
-Encore
-Counter
-Disable
-Protect/Psychic

It's really good, especially in the Cresselia-infested state of the metagame. Beats any form of Choicers with ease, as well as anything that can't OHKO. Protect to scout, then Encore/Disable depending on the oponent, then COUNTER.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Counter isn't all that necessary, but yeah that set is really annoying. Sucks to get haxed by Jirachi but whatever.

SubRoost Zapdos is excellent in this metagame.

I've been using a similar set to venser, but on Golduck for its superior bulk. Also has the advantage of resisting iron head, gets destroyed by PZ though.

Golduck @ Sitrus Berry
252 HP/68 Def/52 SDef/136 Speed
Timid
-Encore
-Disable
-Protect
-Surf

Basically the same idea, surf has better coverage. EV's are to outspeed all forms of Breloom, possibly an overreaction but i've been seeing a lot more lately. Leftover EV's split between the defences.

If you want an even bulkier encore+disable pokemon, you could try dewgong. Its 90\80\95 defenses are better than golducks 80\78\80, if only by a little, and much better than alakazams 55\45\85 defenses. Dewgong, however, is not resistant to Iron Head, so its a trade youd have to consider

That Encore/Disable Dewgong is in Pokémon Battle Revolution. It's really annoying...

Been playing this 1v1 Metagame for the past week and it is refreshing to play.
Its nice to play the game where there are different tactics than the usual ones you see in the OU Metagame.

So the main pokemon I have used is the following...

Breloom @ Custap Berry - Jolly
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 Atk - 252 Speed

Moves:
~ Endure
~ Spore
~ Focus Punch
~ Stone Edge

Nice Moveset that is easy to use.. Endure if your slower or Spore If your faster. If you Endure then Custap will activate and you Spore next turn. After than throw the STAB Focus Punches around the place like no tomorrow! Stone Edge for a coverage move that Focus Punch just wont do the work against.
Wouldn't Poison Heal be better than Effect Spore? If you get unlucky, your Effect Spore could, say, Poison them the turn you Endure, making them immune to Spore.

Doesn't Alakazam have Inner Focus making it not care about Iron Heads since it could use Counter with no flinch risk?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)