The 2010-11 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huzzah. Sitting pretty at the top of the Fantasy Football League after two seasons of not trying whatsoever. Yay for me. Too bad that joy was counterbalanced by van der Vaart being so damn good. We could have used those points. Villa need a striker... any ideas anyone? Someone we could feasibly get?

In anycase, party on Premier League, and long live fantasy football success.

meh Arsenal cmon hurry up and get a goalkeeper -_-

Schwarzer would be nice, heard he's reconsidering too in January.

Chamakh damn you for missing that chance, but oh well, he's a good player and he'll bounce back.

norulz

excellent
why are you people blaming fabianski on the goals?

he couldn't have defended the first and even less the second... for once, it wasn't his fault arsenal lost

We aren't blaming Fabianski for this match but just hating on him for his general failness =P.Yah it was true that those goals were just too "WOAH" for him to actually do something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODE1p-R7uHc

2:20

Luis Suárez (Uruguayan right winger who made hands against Ghana in the World Championship, most hated person in Africa ever XD) made hands again. This was last Sunday. He played well, hit the woodwork three times, gave an assist and was the only Ajax player, barring Stekelenburg, who prevented a bigger defeat than 1-2 (Netherlands goalkeeper) who did his best.

Suárez got yellow and not red, so he won't be suspended.

After Luis Suárez' handball last Sunday, I want to ask you all a poll question.

What do you all think about Luis Suárez? Is he the devil for screwing a whole continent or a hero for saving his country in the World Championship? Should handballs in the own penalty area be counted as a goal instead of yellow/red card+penalty?

For people who don't remember: In the World Championships (quarterfinals, Ghana - Uruguay, Suárez is an Uruguayan right winger/shadow striker, playing for Ajax). He made a handball in the own penalty area, he got red and Ghana striker Gyan missed the penalty. Result: 1-1. Then Uruguay won after penalties. Suárez got suspended for one match. Ghana was the last African country on the WC at that moment, and almost everybody in Africa sees Suárez as the devil now, in Uruguay he's a hero.

I say he's a hero. Now Suárez is seen as the devil, but if Asamoah Gyan didn't miss the penalty, Suárez would've been hated less. And Gyan would've done the same if he was in Suárez' situation.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I would lose respect for any player who found themselves in Suarez's position and didn't do what he did. It was a tactical decision, no different to fouling a player when he's clean through on goal. Football is a fiercely competitive game and the World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world - don't ruin it by condemning people for being 'overly-competitive.'

I feel bad for Ghana but if the shoe was on the other foot (glove on the other hand?), they would probably have been praised for their ingenuity and will-to-win at all costs. It simply wasn't in the script for Uruguay to do as well as they did.

Oh deffinetly that sounds like a much better idea ^.^ .I was planning on posting something like that but you beat me to it =L.I hope they stay in religation and get demoted to 2nd league (I wonder why i never knew what its called)...That would be like the happiest day of my life.

And basicly on the hand ball thingy if you call it "Wrong" should't it also be considerred "Cheating" when you purposely foul that pro striker in the opponents team when he is going to shoot five seconds later or when Torres knows that the Mancity deffender didn't mean to take the free kick but you score a goal anyway?Il just say something that seems to be said in smogon quite a lot "We play to win".
Besides....Gyan is a (BAN ME PLEASE)......

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
Oh deffinetly that sounds like a much better idea ^.^ .I was planning on posting something like that but you beat me to it =L.I hope they stay in religation and get demoted to 2nd league (I wonder why i never knew what its called)...That would be like the happiest day of my life.

And basicly on the hand ball thingy if you call it "Wrong" should't it also be considerred "Cheating" when you purposely foul that pro striker in the opponents team when he is going to shoot five seconds later or when Torres knows that the Mancity deffender didn't mean to take the free kick but you score a goal anyway?Il just say something that seems to be said in smogon quite a lot "We play to win".
Besides....Gyan is a (BAN ME PLEASE)......
1. It's called the Championship
2. Asamoah Gyan is awesome, end of.

Gyan is a legend, Suarez should die. I woulda done the same thing though but I was supporting Ghana so you cant really expect me to back him. (which I think I kinda just did...)

I am not neutral: I am Dutch, and Ajax supporter. Suárez plays for Ajax. I don't prefer Ghana or Uruguay.

But if Gyan made hands and Suárez screwed up the penalty (altough him missing a penalty is impossible), I wouldn't hate Gyan because of it.

Gyan could've scored his penalty (a good penalty won't miss), but he dind't. Is it Suárez' fault Gyan missed? No. Is it Suárez fault Uruguay won the penalty series? No (altough without him there wouldn't be penaltys). Is it Suárez' fault Ghana was the only African country that hasn't been knocked out on the World Cup back then? No. Pure because of these things, which Suárez doesn't have anything to do with, people exeggarate about it and blame Suárez and Suárez only. And it's not cheating: Suárez wants towin at all costs. He broke the rules and got punished (red card+1 match ban, standard for hands) and Ghana got a penalty. Suárez makes good use of the rules and predicted well that Gyan couldn't cope with the awfully heavy pressure.

Indonesia - Uruguay 1-7, Uruguay without Diego Forlán. Luis Suárez scored three times and he gave two assists.

China - Uruguay 0-4, Suárez scored once. He gave 2 assists.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I really dont like the mentality of "he plays for my team, therefore he can do no wrong." Im an american but I hate on Landon Donovan all the time becuase hes an ass. Suarez will always be a remembered as a dirty player who couldnt win within the rules, and I expect that Asamoah Gyan will be remembered as one of the finest Ghanian footballers ever regardless of his missed penalty, gyan is having a good season on a bad team and he has played well internationally consistently.

I don't like Suarez for what he did. And he'll be remembered for that moment of grim inspiration for the rest of his career. Irritatingly football is a sport in which any real punishment is considered excessive. Facts are he killed the dreams of a whole nation - possibly the entire continent. On the same coin, he brought millions of other people closer to realising a dream.

I don't approve of what he did, but cheating, at any intensity, is common along all levels of the footballing ladder. As a result it becomes difficult to say "I hope Suarez has an awful season". Still, say, if his shot was cleared off the line by a misplaced hand, then GOOD. I won't harbor hate towards the guy, but if karmic retribution gets its way, well, it would probably draw a wry smile upon my face.

So yeah. That be my two cents.

I simply can't understand you! If I played for my country and someone was on a great position to score when my team wouldn't have the chance to retaliate, I would make everything to stop it!
Who cares if it crushes the other team? It's my country, my friend's hopes and that's what I should always fight for.
I'm sorry if I'm offending someone but I think suarez showed how he loves his team and his country and therefore I support him.

Lets get off this topic, that should have been left and finished at the WC 2010 thread.

Lets talk about how Chelsea are gunna win the league again because we are so great.

Also why is the first El Clasico so far away this season, I want to see Barca show Real who's boss and always will be boss in Spain.

Zdrup15, good you agree with me. Suárez made the save, disappointed people and made others happy. If he dind't do it, there would've been people happy and people would've been sad. Suárez made the right choice: he made his own country happy. Gyan would've done the same.

La Vida Voca, this topic came up because Suárez did it again on Sunday, one and a half week ago.

Results since I started this discussion (8 people gave their opinion).

Was Suárez handball -

A Hand of God? 4 members.
B Hand of Devil? 4 members.

There are lots of people from England here. Can you tell me how well Raul Meireles has been playing? He wanted to leave Portugal for so long and after the World Cup I'm wondering how he is.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
His club are in the relegation zone. Not through any fault of his own but he hasn't particularly stood out. I think he's only played 3 or 4 times this season.

His club are in the relegation zone. Not through any fault of his own but he hasn't particularly stood out. I think he's only played 3 or 4 times this season.
I know Liverpool is going through a very dificult period. I thought he would impress there. Damn, he almost hasn't played this season then.

Manchester United-West Brom 2-2

Well fuck.....I am dissapoint.Too pissed off to say anything else but...Fuck you Van Der Sar
L:.....

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
West Brom is a legit team this season and united are having trouble winning instead of drawing. United fans should just be thankful they dont have almunia or fabianski in the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)