The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not gonna lie, based Trigger is making Kiznaiver completely badass. Its definitely showing a vast amount of promise/potential in its first three episodes, so I'm looking forward to it.

On a lower note, Haifuri is getting kinda repetitive. Spoiler warning I guess, although there isn't exactly much to spoil so I think its prolly safe to keep it out of hide tags. We've had three episodes follow the same formula, and they only seem to be slightly closer to their end goal. I can prolly predict what'll happen in the next episode (they start heading back to the school, we see a few scenes of life on the boat, they get intercepted and attacked by someone, they worm out of the situation somehow with the help of their German ally and they get back to the school in time for episode 5). I sincerely hope they break my expectations and change it up a little from the formula of eps 1-3 (maybe use the ordered ceasefire to get some kind of exposition about the German boat with the long name or use the time to get some good character development for the MC and the black-haired second in command), but unless they do something to shake it up from the current repetitive formula my previously-moderately-high hopes for the show will start turning down very quickly.

this is the first season in like 3 years that I've tried watching things while they were airing (mostly because I wanted to watch aa) so here are some thoughts of someone who has been out of the game since I think that season that the second half of psycho pass was airing.

Ace Attourney

the main thing that made me want to try watching airing junk again. even though the original trilogy is probably my favourite game series of all time (aj was eh and wasn't a fan at all of dd) I really didn't expect this to be any good at all. the promotional material indicated that this was going to be a low effort, low budget shitfest animated on the smell of a dry fart and with character redesigns that made every look kinda chubby/unfortunate. but man. when the edited game ost started playing in that first examination I got a bit of a half chub. then when objection (even though the version in the show sounds kinda bum) started going off at that sawhit idiot I was at full mast. the charm of this show is (provided you have played the games) undeniable. it just feels so loyal to the source material, particularly the character poses being pretty much identical at times, things like maya's face in prison, edgey-poo's little bow when he says he's ready, etc just make me feel happy. from a more objective standpoint I still don't think that this will end up being that 'good' of a show. it's missing a couple of the main things that made the games so good, such as player agent creating actual tension and emotion, extended and extremely frustrating cross-examinations of some of the most infuriating characters that can possibly exist (seriously if these showwatching losers don't have to deal with oldbag/cody/fatdude/afrolady/MOE/etc then they're missing out on a vital part of the experience), and being able to present your attourney's badge. but time can only tell. the movie was lacking these things as well, but that was still a lot of fun. I am particularly interested to see which cases they do though, as it looks like samurai has already been scrapped judging by the model on edgeworth's desk. could definitely see them just doing 1-4 and 1-5 and am very curious to see how much of the structure of 1-5 would be kept in place.
but fuck yuki kaji I want to beat that little shit to death stop fucking being everyone fuck you asshole

Anne Happy

so this one seems like it'll be pleasant enough. felt like I'd need something like this to get me through the rest of the shit. and since the girls are pretty cute, the animation looks lively enough and the general feeling of the show isn't bad I reckon I'll keep watching it. nothing special.

Big Order

nah. first episode made it seem like this could be something interesting a la code gayass. but I turned it off halfway through the second episode because it was just so fucking stupid and annoying. dude was ranting about something to do with saving his sister and the (kinda cute) girl was going on about something to do with marriage all while they were in this stupid unexplained facility that they somehow managed to escape from really easily while the same stupid can't be killed joke kept playing out with the ugly as fuck light effect that has been applied to the whole show that I guess is supposed to make it look gloomy but instead it just looks dumb. this might end up crazy fun, it might even end up being good. but for now I just cannot stand it.

Boku no Hero Academia

this one is alright I guess, not really jumping out at me though. character designs are pretty alright, background characters really remind me of ttgl designs even though there are no shared staff to my knowledge. mc feels pretty typical for this kind of thing, although I was surprised at how early he got powers, was fully prepared for him to spend the whole series winning battles through HARDWORK and COURAGE rather than HAIREATING, but who knows what's going to end up happening from this point on (other than nerd manga readers). deuteragonist seems really bland and typical, like a case of wonder-when-this-dweeb-will-become-good that seems to show up in most of these types of shows. other than that, there's not much to go off at this point. for there having been three episodes, a whole lot of nothing has happened. the mc has reached his main stated goal pretty much and no major antagonistic force has been introduced or really even hinted at. probably going to keep watching, not expecting anything spectacular out of it though

Bungou Stray Dogs

again, nah. got a part of the way through the third episode for this one though. it just lacks any kind of substance whatsoever. going entirely for style, and as it just so happens, I hate the kind of style its going for. constant over-reaction jokes being played out by one-note characters with dumb designs (wtf is that stupid fringe shit that the mc has going on????? hello?????) pulling oh so funny super exaggerated facial expressions with dumb voices. I mean, it looks kinda pretty. but the content is just so pointless at this stage in the show, and I really doubt that it'll get much better. no antagonistic force introduced when they're meant to be a detective agency.

Endride

probably the most homosexual show of the season, seriously look at that guy's damn eyebrows and try to tell me that him and the other main dude aren't going to go at each other’s bumholes real hard at some point in the series. the sexual tension between the two is palpable and I for one am excited for things to come there. there is, however, the fact that this show is not very good. I mean, it's alright, but certainly not 'good'. the mixture of setting, colour, and soundtrack remind me of the game kingdoms of amalur, which is maybe enough reason to keep watching? not sure how to express this, but the show is just so inoffensive and harmless. it's got no desire to be a great work of art or even a good work of story. the stupid 'mc pulled into alternate universe' thing is way too common and that's my major criticism of the show, but at least this show has that as a seemingly major focal point. better than some, still pretty bad. also the way that the characters hold their swords is fucking hilarious.

Flying Witch

this one seems okay. the first impression I got from it was that it could end up being like a more relaxed version of fuujin monogatari (really good show, go watch it) mostly due to that shot of her sitting on the broom while things went all around her. and then into the second episode a similar pleasant enough feeling carried through. don't have much else to say really, I'll probably keep watching it. the strings on the soundtrack sound lovely.

Haifuri

this one really pisses me off and I am very much not going to keep watching it. it has a kinda cool central premise, training exercise goes wrong when rogue faction attacks leaving untrained crew against all odds. but then it's fucked up hard by how STUPID every single one of the characters is, and the fact that they're all little girls. don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of cute anime girls doing shit (literally and figuratively) but shows where it's done like this just kinda grind at me. these girls were introduced as being first years with little to no training yet they seem way to technically capable. any intercrew conflict is never going to be solved by them just punching each other and getting it over with, it'll be some bullshit where one makes the other one some cookies ugh. but the biggest problem is that they lack entirely in common sense. you've got a fucking radio there. radio the fucking big bosses and say 'uhhhh hey we got attacked by live rounds??? something going on here???' you dumb fucks. also the soundtrack is absolutely terrible, there's that one track that plays near the start of the first episode, and then maybe in the third one that's just a bunch of discordant bouncing sounds, makes me feel kinda dizzy and ill. disgusting. not watching.

Hundred

good god this is not good. but hey, if you're in the mood for a show that has anime girls with boobies way too big for their body types wearing super tight clothes that also show their anime girl bums then this is the show for you. my main issue with it though is that there are no real stakes. we've been introduced to these big bad things that are being killed by high schoolers even though they're apparently a huge threat to humanity, so much so that I can't even remember what they're called half an hour after watching episode 3. and then of course mister mc has his plot armour berserk mode that invalidates pretty much any tension that goes on, as well as any sense of progression that could occur. and THEN there's a girl who dresses up as a boy so that she can convince everyone else at the school that the mc is gay so that no other girls will try to get with him, though she is kinda cute so eh. overall not a fan, it's dumb and stupid with no hope of ever reaching any kind of satisfactory conclusion. and I'd be willing to make a substantial bet that there are less instances of mc killing big bad things than there are mc tripping over and getting a handful of those big fat boobs.

Joker Game

I was really prepared to dislike this after the first two episodes. the premise was interesting and it seemed like it would be a breath of fresh air amongst some of the other junk. but those first two episodes, man. such a waste. it felt so far up its own arse and obsessed with the idea of being a 'smart' show that it forgot to be even remotely interesting or intriguing. but now after this third episode it seems like it could be at least pleasant. if it goes for a more episodic route, having an episode dedicated to each of the dudes briefly introduced at the start then some finishing arc of a couple episodes to round it off then this could end up being pretty darn alright. it's not going to be anywhere near as good as I was hoping it to be but at least I'm not going to drop it cold anymore.

Kiznaiver

man, this is cool. I really pretty excited for the idea of a trigger project being spearheaded by not the normal dudes, and then when that opening sequence started playing I knew that I was for something that would be, in the very least, interesting. I'm not one to go on about ops and eds (I think that the fetish for them in the anime fanbase is super obnoxious) but this one was a treat. the sound, colour, and visuals wash over you in a mess of drunken passion and really set the stage for the rest of the show. it reminds me of things like gatchaman, just dripping with a desire to make something. something that is new. on a more basic note, it's alright so far. characters are interesting and have cool designs. the premise is intriguing and starting to be explored. the presentation of the show is great. this one's going to be a real treat.

Koutetsujou no Kabaneri

this one'll probably be decent I guess. the art is, at times, beautiful. the character designs are way better than most shows. the mc's hair sorta confuses me and I'd like to see how they continue to handle that. but that's about where the appeal stops for me. the premise isn't going to bring anything new or shocking to the table. the anime run will be far shorter than the manga run, meaning that we're likely to get either a lobotomised ending that sucks bumhole, or an inconclusive ending that only clears up the smaller conflict of this initial arc of the story. I mean, there's always the possibility that there'll be a second season but eh. might keep watching it but I can't see it being anything great for some very simple reasons.

Kuromokuro

this is the other show that had me excited. pa works doing a mech with the story written by okamura?? then I find out that [gg] are literally coming back from the dead to sub the show?????? hot dog I was in as soon as I could. and I wouldn't say at all that it has disappointed. it's got the same kind of slow-moving solshit you get from pa works with their typical character designs (aka: pretty nice) but underneath it I can feel a hot mess brewing. I'd make a pretty confident bet that the later part of this and the ending are going to piss a lot of people off. the clues indicate that it has the distinct possibility to go batshit crazy, and I am excited for that.

Mayoiga

very much a highlight. this is probably the one that I'll be looking forward to watching each week. the sheer size of the cast combined with only having 12 episodes to 'deal' with them is my only real concern. also the fact that I can't really tell how old any of the characters are. main guy/girl/friendwithbluehair look like they're about 12 years old MAX, as well as other characters like jack/girlwhowantsmcdick also just seeming way younger than their personality portrays them as. are they meant to be in high school? regardless, this is going to be fun. episode 4 just aired and this is going to be A LOT of fun.

Netoge

whenever one airs you hear people harp on about, due to the inherent nature of the medium creating a disconnect between what the audience sees, experiences, and feels, anime can't make a decent work of horror. but they're wrong. this show is kinda terrifying. now, I've played ~10 hours of an mmo a day for the last three years or so so this one hit pretty hard in some areas. but why the heck is everyone apart from the mc a girl?? should have left the cat one as some fat sweaty 30 year old dude who dribbles imo, just for some kind of realism. this show has a healthy dosage of cute anime girls (mostly pig even though she'll never win) so I'm going to give it a passing mark for now. most damming thing that it has going for it are those weird blue outlines that everyone has, kinda creepy.

ReZero

man I really wanted to dislike this. first two episodes (that part a/b crap) made me pretty angry at what I saw as some serious missed potential but boy-o that has changed a bit with ep 2-3, and I reckon it's pretty clear that this will be one of the 'good' shows this season. probably going to be spoilers here simply because it's hard to voice my complaints without them. first, the shitty new dimension crap which has probably been mentioned a bunch in this post still pisses me off. it's such a cheap excuse for a quick gag and an eventual cop out ending. and this show didn't even have the fucking gall to have consistency in how it applied the mc's knowledge of outside worlds. as soon as he got there he was all jokes and meta references about tropes and bullshit, but as soon as things started to get a bit more serious there was none of that to be found at all. when the time loops started he managed to get through three of them or whatever before even considering the idea that he was in a time loop. and while I understand that the thing at the start was meant to be a joke that could quickly advance the story and allow for ease of exposition, it still pisses me off. but it has very much gotten better since then. I'm still extremely excited by the thought that the entire run time of the show is going to be taken up by him trying to avoid this one single event, with a lot of emphasis being placed on idea that events, once they occur in one time loop, gain some kind of permanence that carries through any later loops (evidenced by 'someone' saving apple dude's daughter, running into thieve guys every time, and big club guy dying every time) and that the only way things can be changed, in terms of the eventual outcome, is solely by the introduction of new variables. if it does something like this and puts focus on mc coming to terms with the fact that there are going to be things he can't change with no bullshit magic something or rather that lets him create a perfect happy ending, then this could end up being seriously good. if things I've heard about the source being crazy are true then I'm excited.

Seisen Cerberus

the thing that intrigues me the most about this show are the people behind it, the masterminds who have so delicately crafted such an experience. seriously, the screenplay/storyboard for this much be great

OPENING SHOT

horizontal pan of cgi soldiers (maybe just grab a shot from the hobbit if the budget runs out)

anime girl with big boobs chained up between two rocks in a loose fitting robe, make sure that those fat mammies are showing (any budget savings can go to making these bigger)

it truly is art. although I must say that, on a more serious note, there is a certain genuine feeling of earnestness here. there's none of that dude transported to another dimension bullshit, it's just straight up fantasy, and I really appreciate that. first episode made me really fear for what I might have to watch simply due to how shitty it was. the action scenes are the most uninspired and wooden shit I've seen in a while, the mc seemed like a true edgelord (although him being an incompetent idiot is kinda fun now) and no explanation was given to anything. but it's gotten better. the introduction of the cute anime girl in episode two has been a particular highlight for me and is probably the only reason that I might not drop the show (that short dress that sits at just the right place + colour scheme hits the spot, oo god). I think that if this were given a bit of time and effort, it could be really good though. a focus on the weapon dealer man creating conflict between nations and all that jazz could be a pretty interesting storyline, but I just don't believe that the production is up to par to either create that quality or maintain it.

Shounen Maid

not sure why I started watching this, or if I'll finish it. probably not. you get what you pay for.

Super Lovers

haha oh my. it's funny, but I'm not sure if that'll be enough for me to get through it. I just want to see that main dude plow into his adopted brother while he jerks off his two actual brothers. goddamn.

so overall:

gonna keep watching
ace attourney
anne happy
heroes
flying witch
joker game
kiznaiver
kuromokuro
lost (village edition)
netoge
re:0

maybe if I feel bad that day
endride
hundred
titans on a train
cerberus
super gay

no way
big order
bungy dogs
high school fleet
shounen maid

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm kinda interested to hear what people have to say on this matter, so I thought I might as well ask.

What are your opinions on moe in anime? I don't have a particularly strong opinion on it personally, which is why I want to know what others think about it.

I can't be the only person who thinks the beginning of the Re:Zero op us awesome, I have shown like 5 of my friends and they are like meh.

I can't be the only person who thinks the beginning of the Re:Zero op us awesome, I have shown like 5 of my friends and they are like meh.
The first half of the Re:Zero OP is 10/10 but it kinda peters off in the second half. So... yeah, agree.

Speaking of the show, episode 4 bored me like the first double episode, but I guess they're gonna have a boring episode every time they set up an arc, huh? I'm still in if I get another episode 3.

I'm kinda interested to hear what people have to say on this matter, so I thought I might as well ask.

What are your opinions on moe in anime? I don't have a particularly strong opinion on it personally, which is why I want to know what others think about it.
i like it

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I love it kyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu~~~~ >nyan< *raises hands up and makes a "paw"-like pose* :3

queez

wandering and wondering
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
alright kiznaiver surprised me and the first few episodes were rather excellent. the characters/story/general concept are intriguing and slightly ominous yet lighthearted at the same time. at first the idea of "connecting through wounds" seemed pretty dumb but they explained it well and made sense of it, which was very nice.

anyone else watching big order? started that today as well. I'm definitely biased being a future diary fanatic but the plot seems almost crazy and outlandish enough to work?
I'm already getting some serious kyubey vibes from daisy, both being mysterious beings whose main interest is to encourage the use of characters' powers. I wouldn't be too surprised if she ended up being a villain of sorts

Figuratively, Big Order should be the hypest shit ever since it's Mirai Nikki characters with Geass that function like Stands. Unfortunately I'd probably be shitting all over it if I wasn't a huge Future Diary fan as well, and even then BO doesn't go nearly as hard. I hope it has a big twist at some point like Mirai Nikki, but it's only getting 10 episodes so idk. :/

Martin

I really like it personally. The video is insanely hype (easily making it OP of the season; I went Etika on that shit, and there is legitimately very little that makes me react like that) and I really like the song as well. Unlike Blue_Tornado I really like the chorus personally, and between that and the amazing verses and really solid chorus the song is something that I've been listening to pretty intently over the past few weeks (using this video).

RODAN

Banned deucer.
Figuratively, Big Order should be the hypest shit ever since it's Mirai Nikki characters with Geass that function like Stands. Unfortunately I'd probably be shitting all over it if I wasn't a huge Future Diary fan as well, and even then BO doesn't go nearly as hard. I hope it has a big twist at some point like Mirai Nikki, but it's only getting 10 episodes so idk. :/
big order is literally the most retarded show ive ever seen and im loving every minute of it

mayoiga also applies to the same category

I really like it personally. The video is insanely hype (easily making it OP of the season; I went Etika on that shit, and there is legitimately very little that makes me react like that) and I really like the song as well. Unlike Blue_Tornado I really like the chorus personally, and between that and the amazing verses and really solid chorus the song is something that I've been listening to pretty intently over the past few weeks (using this video).
You know that there is an actual full version right? Not just the fulli version.

Martin

You know that there is an actual full version right? Not just the fulli version.
I've listened to that version a lot of times (and I just double-checked that its the right one now and that I didn't mislink as I've heard too many fulli versions when searching for that for the first time) and its the actual song. Either its mislabled or there is a difference between fuli and fulli.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
just saw the first 3 episodes of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, and good lord its such a nice change of pace to have main characters that aren't a bunch of bitches. Love the action scenes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)