Gen 6 The "Are my Pokémon IVs and Nature good?" Thread

So I got a little story to tell. 6 fucking hours on the road heading home from Bethany Beach, Delaware is brutal due to the Bay Bridge being shutdown caused by an accident. I decided to play my digital copy of Y again to catch a really good Timid Articuno, since I was not really satisfied with my last one. I soft reset for an hour and a half on the way back, nothing really special. But then, I encounter this beauty:

Timid Articuno: 31/15/30/31/31/30 HP Psychic

Shitty Hidden Power and 30 speed aside, this is probably the best soft reset I had to date due to it's sheer symbolism. I did this in a car with almost no internet access and was successful partly due to comparing my other Articuno's stats. Once I saw 227/120/166/159/201/159 I was like "whoa, holy shit!" and then I was like "with IVs like that, Hidden Power can basically go fuck itself, Freeze Dry, Hurricane, Substitute, and Roost is fine". I also used a Floatzel with 158 speed and only checked the ones with 227 HP, which sped up the process. But yeah, 6 hours in a car with an annoying brother and two naggy parents. In the end, I just wanted to get home.

Well you're right about the crappy Hidden Power (especially since it can use Extrasensory). And I've seen a 5IV being traded (which I just so happen to have), so if you want to trade for it, I'd say ditch it. Or if you want it to have your OT & ID, hmm that's a tough one.

Well you're right about the crappy Hidden Power (especially since it can use Extrasensory). And I've seen a 5IV being traded (which I just so happen to have), so if you want to trade for it, I'd say ditch it. Or if you want it to have your OT & ID, hmm that's a tough one.
Hell no man. If I wanted a 5 IV one or one with HP Ground, I can just RNG it in Heartgold. Like I said, I like the symbolism this thing has. I saved the game hours ago and am very happy with it.

Art Vandelay

Banned deucer.
just let this one go

Zygarde (Careful) : 30 - 31 / 2 / 28 - 29 / 23 / 30 - 31 / 30 - 31

Atk was too low imo, what do you think?

What nature to aim for if I´m only planning to catch Xerneas once? Any nature that usually stands out / works for most sets just fine?

Art Vandelay

Banned deucer.
should I keep this?

Zygarde - #718 (Careful) : 31 / 29 / 31 / 11 - 12 / 31 / 10 - 11

If I decide to keep (inclined to do so) what do I miss the jump on at level 50 with that speed?

I guess I'd have to go

188 HP / 252 SpD / 68 Spe

to outspeed standard Rotom while still creating 51 HP subs (at level 50). Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Schattenbach Modest is basically the only nature worth using Xerneas' strongest set (Geomancy) and is also good for the Sub CM set. Rash is useable for an offensive cleric, and is the preferred nature for the Scarf set. Mild is the same way, except it's better for the cleric set and worse for the Scarf one. Bold is good if you want a physically-defensive cleric or a bulky CM set.

Art Vandelay TBH I wouldn't keep that if you'd have to invest in Spe to compensate for bad EVs.

Art Vandelay

Banned deucer.
ok should I keep this one?

Zygarde - #718 (Careful) : 31 / 18 / 26 / 27 / 31 / 31

kinda wish Atk and SpAtk were switched but

Art Vandelay

Banned deucer.

Zygarde - #718 (Careful) : 31 / 25 / 31 / 2 / 31 / 31

decided to keep because it hasn't been fun at all. At lvl 50 difference in Atk is 117 vs 120 for 31 IVs. I'm guessing it's still good, what do you guys think?

Zygarde - #718 (Careful) : 31 / 25 / 31 / 2 / 31 / 31

decided to keep because it hasn't been fun at all. At lvl 50 difference in Atk is 117 vs 120 for 31 IVs. I'm guessing it's still good, what do you guys think?
Keep it. 25 Attack doesn't matter because it's gonna Coil first anyways and without Coil it's not gonna hit hard even with 31 Attack.

Art Vandelay

Banned deucer.
yeah I remember yours with 26 Atk, wish my Atk was +28 but it doesn't make any difference. Plus I've really had it, been SR for a month straight I think, overall +70 hours of just SR (it took me ~28 h to beat the game). I know there are some flawless out there but I really liked the Nest Ball over Dusk/Master Ball (plus Zygarde has become one of my favorite pokes so I wanted my own OT)

Should I keep Xerneas with Rash Nature and 26 / 26 / 30 / 31 / 31 / 31 IVs?

Edit:
Or Zygarde with Adamant Nature and 21 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 15 / 29?

Last edited:
Both of those are entirely useable, although certainly not the best available on the trade market for their respective natures anymore. If you plan to use them, they're fine, but I expect you'd have trouble if you wanted to trade them away.

EDIT: Actually, the Zygarde is unsuitable for max speed DD (but can still be EV'd to hit lower Spe benchmarks for the other sets).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)