Other The Don's ORAS OU Team Building Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTC

Banned deucer.
is a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Ciao la mia famiglia and grazie for your support for my well received archive thread that's been goin for the past couple of months. I see that a trend of compendiums has been storming other tiers on smogon, all originating from my boy Edgar's Ubers compendium. I had made the OU compendium that inspired his thread a few months prior, but I only posted it on the idm forums because I didnt want to share the wealth of knowledge with plebs then. Now, however, iv changed my mind. To be completely honest im posting here mostly for my own convenience because the old one on idm forums is outdated by about a year and since zetashitboards has a 10 image limit it saves me a lot of time to make it here. It should be no surprise that once again, another innovation has been credited to the don himself. shoutout my boys Edgar, Key, and Calloflochie trynna spread the knowledge to irrelevant tiers but heres the official don compendium to fill the void in ou. enjoi
(analysis ripped from the original)

This compendium contains basic structures for teams and an array of possible mons for specific roles on teams. Having a visual cue helps build better and more diverse teams. This will contain pools of viable mons (I will omit the very shitty ones and ones that are completely outclassed [deos>aerodactyl] but keep even niche ones like sr mew lead due to explosion and tailwind etc.) Feel free to help add to the collection, but doubt theres much to add seeing as this shit is p comprehensive. Use it as a reference, if you will.

Structure:
Following the building structure of the original compendium, try to fit 2 water resists, 1-2 fight resists, 1-2 dragon resists(or an immunity), a flying check, an electric check or 2 resists, 2 ground resists or immunities (at least 1 not bypassed by mold breaker) and a dark resist. Among them i make sure to either have scarf, lots of priority, intimidate, a twave user or weather abuser to revenge. As for stall, I generally try to check as many mons as I can in the stallbreaker category and in the top tier list. Try not to compound on mons walled by shit (talon + balloon exca + zor etc walled by rotom) and try to avoid having no stallbreakers and losing 100% to fat shit.

Stealth Rocks (Spikes/TSpikes) Users
----------------------------------------------
Offensive Users:

Defensive Users:

Spikes/Tspikes Users:

Stall Breakers
(Taunt willow/bulk up)
(CM)
(Mag Taunt)
(Y,Willow/SD X)
(Mega)
(Mixed)
(Mega)
(Band)
(NP)
(NP pass)

Balance Breakers
Volturn:

Heavy Hitters(Choice/LO):

Offense Breakers
Speed Boosting:

Setup Priority:

Fast(110+)/Weather:

Scarfers:

Defensive Cores
--------------------------------------------
Hazard Removal/Prevention:

Water Resists:

Ground Resists:
('loon)

Bird Resists:

Fairy Counters:

Lati Switchins:

Fire Switchins (Zard X/Y)
X:

Y:

Physical Walls:

Special Walls:

Bulky Setup:

Trick Room
--------------------------------------------

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
The stallbreaker section is sort of all over the place in formatting so it looks weird in relation to everything else. Looks good and granted I appreciate innovation and enjoy using some, but some of these I simply have no comment on ._. Might want to put a disclaimer that this is coming from a more experienced mindset and isnt exactly something that someone new is going to comprehend with their shedinja, dusclops, ferroseed team lol. Nice work.

CTC

Banned deucer.
Big Chungus Winner
i included niche mons because i believe that if a mon has a unique and useful niche it can be utilized to its full potential as long as the team has synergy. 4 example shedinja is gr8 as ben gay tossed my ass open w one which walled everything i had. shit like scrafty, swellow etc all have their uses. in fact, my scrafty stallbreak team is lossless so far vs friends in test games at a whopping 8 or so wins. Spdef bulk up scraft gets buckets. And yea ill accept questions regarding what specific sets each section refers to since I just assumed that it's common sense for something like,,, say gliscor in the stallbreak section to be something like sd or taunt while the one in phys def to be sub tect.

Cicada

soul reaver
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Cool thread, can be really useful for building, even though some mons are too much niche imo (i agree that it's a good thing for having a good glance on every option avaiable tho). As AM said it may be better to put a disclaimer or a hide tag on the sections not to confuse newer players. Also, I would've added a Dark-resist part or something since it's a must-have in OU, for Bisharp in particular (or even a Bisharp-check/Knock Off resist section, dunno if that name is too restrictive but I feel like it's as important to keep it in check as the Bird resists, it can include things like Gliscor tho so idk). Again, this thread is a very useful ressource, so good job on that !

Last edited:
this is actually really helpful in regards to building solid oras teams, so idk why people are complaining about it o.o . if anything the niche mons compel us to go out of our comfort zone's and consider other alternatives that can work in this meta. pretty sure even newer players have a grasp of what mons are good with what, and just showing standard mons won't do anyone much good. like ctc said, anything can work given the right support, it is just a matter of finding the right combinations out of hundreds mons available to exploit said value. thanks again based lord! you have yet to dissappoint n_n

Lol, talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Look, if you don't like some of the Pokemon mentioned in these categories, then here's what you do. Copy the categories, paste them into Microsoft Word or something, and then just delete the sprites of the Pokemon that you wouldn't use. Now you have your own personalized list of choices in each category that you can use as a reference, plus you'll have it stored on your own computer so that you won't have to look this thread up every time you need teambuilding help. But honestly, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the more unconventional choices on this list, because you never know when you'll get to a point in teambuilding where you just happen to need the unique qualities that some random NU Pokemon will give you.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I understand that the based lord is too advanced for us to comprehend his thought process when making teams, and that hes the ultimate person who can build around anything, but theres one thing on here that really bothers me:

great basedlord, can you please enlighten me as to how you can make this god of a pokemon work in ou? thanks.

whats the advantage of using smth like tangela over tangrowth? i dont wanna question my shepard, but i wanna learn the path

Definitely a really helpful tool for teambuilders, although seeing as this doesnt really require any discussion I would think that pinning it and locking it will prevent a clusterfuck of newer players questioning stuff, although if revisions are needed Im certain mods/badged users can discuss them.

May'swell tag Haunter to do so. If you feel its fine left unlocked, delete this post

Not trying to offend here umm.. basedlord (I'm not sure what you liked to be referred to as) but I think you went a bit far with this. I have listed something below that I would honestly like to know how to use in OU- it would be pretty cool o use Cryogonal in OU.
  • Offensive stealth rock uxie
  • Uxie
  • Ferroseed
  • Cacturne
  • Accelgor
  • Crustle
  • Garbodor
  • Golurk (maybe I just need to go lurk more heheh)
  • Poliwrath
  • Stunfisk
  • Cryogonal
How do I use these?? Please provide teams or at least sets.

Not trying to offend here umm.. basedlord (I'm not sure what you liked to be referred to as) but I think you went a bit far with this. I have listed something below that I would honestly like to know how to use in OU- it would be pretty cool o use Cryogonal in OU.
  • Offensive stealth rock uxie
  • Uxie
  • Ferroseed
  • Cacturne
  • Accelgor
  • Crustle
  • Garbodor
  • Golurk (maybe I just need to go lurk more heheh)
  • Poliwrath
  • Stunfisk
  • Cryogonal
How do I use these?? Please provide teams or at least sets.
I have no idea what the purposes of most of those are, but uxie I could understand as a screens setter or something, crustle has sturdy shell smash, which is cool, and accelgor is really fast? I guess? It has unburden which is a bit redundant, but then you can't be revenge killed, and final gambit could be cool. Idk, in def not ctc though, so I'm not bold enough to test it :/

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
asterat Poliwrath provides a check to Bisharp, Kabutops, Crawdaunt, a bit of rain offense, while utilizing phasing with Circle Throw either to phase out physical set up sweepers or just to enhance hazard damage when used on Semi-Stall or Balanced teams that utilize multiple hazards. Scald, Circle Throw, Rest, Sleep Talk a standard in lower tiers is generally the set. Uxie has the move imprison to prevent the opponent to use the same moves as it, so think Stealth Rock and Calm Mind. Those two is all I know off the bat off of your list, it's safe to assume Garbodor is Toxic Spikes and a Knock Off absorber through its sticky hold ability. Most of the lowered tiered stuffs use in their respective tiers have similar if not equal uses in higher tier stuff at times, which Poliwrath I know runs the same stuff usually.

Last edited:

CTC

Banned deucer.
Big Chungus Winner
offensive uxie gets screens n rox akin to azelf but does it more reliably, albeit more prone to taunt. cbb's dumbass mighta forgotten when aug got swept by a scrf golurk 2 wcops ago so that mon and set holds a special place in my heart. also surprise spinblock mothafucka. ferroseed if u wanna use a dual ferro team which iv contemplated using. pretty cash to have one of the best walls in ou x2 eh. cacturn can be used on sucker punch spam, thats about its only niche and dont knock it cuz it's almost as strong as sharp anyways. crustle can get hazards as a lead akin to salac skarm, so thats that. accelgor has a fast gambit + spikes. garbodor is sick as it gets tons of residual damage, while getting tspikes and checking faries. stunfisk walls birds and gets rocks, also beating shit like manec raik and all that. cryogonal,,, that mighta been a mispaste i apologize shit is doodoo
little known fact, tangela tanks banded VC from vic. wheres ur tangrowth now?

Last edited:
Care to explain how Beedrill counters Fairies?(a.k.a. might want to change that to fairy resists)
Adaptability Poison Jab.

252+ Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 376-444 (95.4 - 112.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Edit:
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 340-404 (86.2 - 102.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

And it survives a Specs Pixilate Hyper Voice from Sylveon even after SR so I'd call that a counter.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Beedrill: 167-197 (61.6 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Edit: Just noticed the calc has Adamant as nature when I believe Jolly is the standard, which needs a little bit of chip damage to garantee the OHKO on max/max+ Clefable (is that still a thing outside of Unaware sets?)

Adaptability Poison Jab.

252+ Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 376-444 (95.4 - 112.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Edit:
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 340-404 (86.2 - 102.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

And it survives a Specs Pixilate Hyper Voice from Sylveon even after SR so I'd call that a counter.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Beedrill: 167-197 (61.6 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Edit: Just noticed the calc has Adamant as nature when I believe Jolly is the standard, which needs a little bit of chip damage to garantee the OHKO on max/max+ Clefable (is that still a thing outside of Unaware sets?)
So having a super effective move makes you a counter to something?

So having a super effective move makes you a counter to something?
When you can come in on their moves and outspeed and OHKO or live 2 moves and OHKO (in case you dont outspeed) then yes, that's exactly the definition of a counter... (though to be fair Specs Sylveon does OHKO with Psyshock, but it usually just clicks Hyper Voice so I'm not sure how much this matters).

When you can come in on their moves and outspeed and OHKO or live 2 moves and OHKO (in case you dont outspeed) then yes, that's exactly the definition of a counter... (though to be fair Specs Sylveon does OHKO with Psyshock, but it usually just clicks Hyper Voice so I'm not sure how much this matters).
The definition of a counter is Pokémon A counters Pokémon B if Pokémon A can manually switch into Pokémon B and still win every time, even under the worst case scenario, without factoring in hax.
If Sylveon clicks Psyshock and OHKO M-Beedrill on the switch, but Beedrill can switch into a Hyper Voice or Shadow Ball, that means it is a check. What if Clefable has a Calm Mind up, and Beedrill comes in, Flamethrower destroys it.
Plus, there are more fairies than just those two, Azumarill OHKOs with Play Rough, M-Altaria OHKOs with Frustration or Draco, Mega Diancie can OHKO two Beedrill with Diamond Storm, etc.
Everything under the Fairy Counters list is a check, and thus the category should be renamed Fairy Resists, like the other ones.

The definition of a counter is Pokémon A counters Pokémon B if Pokémon A can manually switch into Pokémon B and still win every time, even under the worst case scenario, without factoring in hax.
If Sylveon clicks Psyshock and OHKO M-Beedrill on the switch, but Beedrill can switch into a Hyper Voice or Shadow Ball, that means it is a check. What if Clefable has a Calm Mind up, and Beedrill comes in, Flamethrower destroys it.
Plus, there are more fairies than just those two, Azumarill OHKOs with Play Rough, M-Altaria OHKOs with Frustration or Draco, Mega Diancie can OHKO two Beedrill with Diamond Storm, etc.
Everything under the Fairy Counters list is a check, and thus the category should be renamed Fairy Resists, like the other ones.
Sylveon is unlikely to click Psyshock but you're technically right about that one, having a CM up however isn't part of the equation unless Clef sets it up during the turn Beedrill would be switching in, which wouldn't matter as its still outsped and OHKO'd the following turn.

As for Azumarril I guess your're right, I forgot about it, though unless it's BD it's not exactly hard to check, so much less of an issue, also for something to be a fairy counter it doesn't neccesarily have to be able to switch in on every single fairy, I mean Ferrothorn is listed there and it loses to all of them that have Fire coverage as well as Gardevoir with Focus Blast but it's still a good switch in to some fairies (like Azumarill for instance).

Sylveon is unlikely to click Psyshock but you're technically right about that one, having a CM up however isn't part of the equation unless Clef sets it up during the turn Beedrill would be switching in, which wouldn't matter as its still outsped and OHKO'd the following turn.

As for Azumarril I guess your're right, I forgot about it, though unless it's BD it's not exactly hard to check, so much less of an issue, also for something to be a fairy counter it doesn't neccesarily have to be able to switch in on every single fairy, I mean Ferrothorn is listed there and it loses to all of them that have Fire coverage as well as Gardevoir with Focus Blast but it's still a good switch in to some fairies (like Azumarill for instance).
If Sylveon predicts the Beedrill to switch in, it will probably click Psyshock. And some Clefable runs Fire Blast, which has a chance to kill Beedrill after rocks, so it isn't a counter.

That's why I want it to be renamed Fairy Resists. All of those things on the list are checks, as most fairies carry a coverage move to hit one of those Pokemon on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)