The Everything NFL Thread - 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
would've rather lost to the lolions to help keep the packers out of the playoffs but whatever

Matt Ryan is having a historically good passing season against the toughest schedule (and toughest defensive schedule) in the NFL. Dude has a legit shot at 5000 passing yards too. Why isn't that deserving of MVP recognition? It's not like he's killing it on a losing team like David Johnson either. Falcons are set up to get a first round bye. What's the argument for the other guys?

The thought of Matt getting an MVP before Brees is delicious btw.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Imo the mvp should be David Johnson at this point, because he has literally carried the team on his back for the entire season. They don't win a single game without him.

The prospect of giving a good QB having a great season the MVP award is what bothers me because they're likely to show why they didn't deserve a year later.

Matt Ryan would be Cam Newton v2

neither is anywhere close to the leagues most valuable player.

Both their best seasons will likely prove to be aberrations when looking at their careers in retrospect

Last edited:
Imo the mvp should be David Johnson at this point, because he has literally carried the team on his back for the entire season. They don't win a single game without him.
That's an exaggeration since the cards have a fantastic defense and I'm sure they'd win one two games without him.

The prospect of giving a good QB having a great season the MVP award is what bothers me because they're likely to show why they didn't deserve a year later.

Matt Ryan would be Cam Newton v2

neither is anywhere close to the leagues most valuable player.

Both their best seasons will likely prove to be aberrations when looking at their careers in retrospect
It isn't best player at his position, it's most valuable player. Newton was without a doubt, and not even close, the most valuable player in 2015.

As great as ryan has been, Rodgers deserves it more this year. But that's only when talking about qbs. Zeke is the most valuable player this year.

MVP is a season award, not a career award.

The Patriots minus Brady are a 10-6 team at worst in the cusp of a playoff birth. They proved that by going 3-1 without him. Only a truly tremendous season from Brady would be worth an MVP award - he is at best tied with Matt Ryan this season, and only if you expand his stats to 16 games. Meanwhile the Falcons bottom three defense and poor exclusive rushing game would be lucky to make them a five win team.

I'm not going to try and suggest that the award goes to the player worth the most wins (literally the most valuable) every year, but Matt checks both boxes of being the best QB statistically this year and being worth a lot of wins to his team. The Falcons have a top 10 offense of all time ffs, and Matt is having a top ten season of all time.

Matt is also significantly leading Aaron Rodgers in every category except Int%, for what it's worth.

ARod has 2 more TDs in 70 more passes. Easily explainable by the fact that Atlanta RBs have about three times the rushing touchdowns than Green Bay RBs do. To be fair, Rodgers has four rushing touchdowns, but Ryan's efficiency this year is off the charts.

the prospect of Tom Coughlin returning to Jacksonville is...intriguing.

obviously he would not get personnel control, and that might be a deal breaker for him.

honestly i'm not opposed to Maronne getting a shot either.

I view MVP as:

Put player X on team Y theorize how much he'd improve that team.

I just don't view Ryan as a player that would transform a franchise like a Brady/Rodgers.

He still has a penchant for throwing picks in critical moments and basically lost 2 games for the falcons this year doing so.

the Falcons have a top 10 offense of all time ffs
A top 10 offense isn't really as big of an accomplishment as it used to be, Brady or Manning had/have one seemingly every other year.

And Ryan is definitely having a more impressive/better season than Rodgers, since you have to take the ENTIRE season into account.

Ryan will probably win MVP, I guess i'm just mad that Tom Brady's suspension is the reason for that.

It just makes me angry when mediots like Peter King and his ilk (or anyone for that matter) cite the suspension to discredit his candidacy without mentioning how completely bullshit it was and how they contributed to it in the first place.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I see it the opposite. Take a player off his team and see how many additional losses it accounts for. Whoever would result in the most losses is MVP. That would be the best way i can think of to check who actually has the most value for their team. And yeah, it just so happens that if you have a good backup, it can't be you (there's a flaw in that too, I guess).

The award is pretty flawed as is and even in the methodology I laid out because it always favors QBs and the offense really. What annoys me more is that MVP is allowed to win OPOY which is literally the dumbest thing. Why even have two different awards? Make it so that MVP winners can't win that award, there are plenty of guys out there who deserve shine.

Last edited:
I see it as whichever player had the most impact in getting a team to the playoffs. Which is why Ryan wouldn't get my vote. He has Julio jones, an all time great player. Rodgers on the other hand took a crap team and willed it to 5 straight wins by playing the position as close to perfection as it possibly can be played.

But like i keep saying, zeke should definitely be the mvp.

I see it as whichever player had the most impact in getting a team to the playoffs. Which is why Ryan wouldn't get my vote. He has Julio jones, an all time great player. Rodgers on the other hand took a crap team and willed it to 5 straight wins by playing the position as close to perfection as it possibly can be played.

But like i keep saying, zeke should definitely be the mvp.
Where would the Cowboys be without Zeke (and David Irving)? Does Zeke make Dak's job easier by putting defenses off balance.

Zeke 4 MVP. The Patriots won 3 games out of 4 without Brady, you can't consider him the MVP for his team, so the NFL's is a long shot.

Von Miller as DPOY
Matt Ryan as OPOY
Zeke Elliot as MVP
DeMarco Murray as CBPOY
Dak Prescott as OROY
Jalen Ramsey as DROY

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Jalen Ramsey as DROY
im telling you man ramsey has been a total stud this season, hopkins' catches in week 15 came against amukamara and ramsey had multiple great pass breakups that day. dude's balled out since day 1 but hasn't gotten picks so he's gotten no credit for being good.

oh and the list of who he's played: hilton x2, hopkins x2, Jeffry, Cooper, Watkins, Nelson (who he locked tf up), thomas...seriously the dude has balled out

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
im telling you man ramsey has been a total stud this season, hopkins' catches in week 15 came against amukamara and ramsey had multiple great pass breakups that day. dude's balled out since day 1 but hasn't gotten picks so he's gotten no credit for being good.

oh and the list of who he's played: hilton x2, hopkins x2, Jeffry, Cooper, Watkins, Nelson (who he locked tf up), thomas...seriously the dude has balled out
Stats back you up, i dont remember exactly but he's allowed like a 34% completion against int he last 8 weeks and a bunch of othr shutdown results

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Stats back you up, i dont remember exactly but he's allowed like a 34% completion against int he last 8 weeks and a bunch of othr shutdown results
I wish we got him, not that Stanley hasn't been good but still.

Speaking of rookies, the player that I was desperate to draft (out of players that would realistically fall to pick 6) was Joey Bosa. I thought he was a superstar and I wrote as such all over Baltimore Beatdown on every post I could. Some people thought his skills wouldn't translate to the pros. 10 sacks in 11 game as well as being an excellent run stopper proves me right (sadly).

Last edited:
Zeke 4 MVP. The Patriots won 3 games out of 4 without Brady, you can't consider him the MVP for his team
Well Tom Brady takes the patriots from playoff team to superbowl favorites/best team in the NFL, and from 21st ranked offense to 2nd (with no Gronk) so hes definitely the most valuable for the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)