The Everything NFL Thread - 2018-2019 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Wentz being in the running last year for MVP because his Offensive Coordinator is good is just as ludicrous as saying Mahomes is in the running this year. Kelce or Tyreek Hill are more deserving than Mahomes, but of course all credit ever must go to the QB.

Wentz being in the running last year for MVP because his Offensive Coordinator is good is just as ludicrous as saying Mahomes is in the running this year. Kelce or Tyreek Hill are more deserving than Mahomes, but of course all credit ever must go to the QB.

I think almost every MVP QB in the last 15 years has had an all pro to throw too.

Last edited:
i love me tyfreak or kelce but they alone would need to account for like 80% of the chiefs offense to even come close for running MVP

if mahomes keeps playing the way he is i see zero reason as to why he wouldn't get it... wish rivers or brees gets it this season tho

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
With only 2 undefeated teams remaining and the large majority of the league sitting on either 2 or 3 wins, parity in the NFL has never been greater. Awesome to see as a fan, but it makes ranking the teams that much tougher an exercise.

This week, we discuss some impressive AFC North teams, the free fall of the Atlanta Falcons and Green Pay Packers, Drew Brees, as well as some more heated dishonourable mentions.

The full power rankings can be found here: https://www.sidelinespice.com/single-post/2018/10/11/Week-5-2018-NFL-Power-Rankings.
Our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SidelineSpice/

spicy spicy rankings

actually no offense but urs are not that spicy compared to like the big websites... booo.... put the bears top 5!!

A few notes, as always

washington down four
dolphins down 2-3
texans???
titans swap with lions

Washington got humiliated hard against God-King Brees' record day. The secondary was hot fucking garbage, and there was zero offensive presence throughout the entire game. I respect them allowing Breesus to pop off, but that was a pathetic showing. Alex Smith also doesn't deserve 27 million a year with the way he's playing. Also, who's their starting RB with Thompson and AP being day-to-day? It's a fiesta in Washington, and definitely not the good kind. I'd argue that the Giants have more offensive weaponry at their disposal and are at least putting up points.

Ryan tannehill is not good. That alone knocks the fins down two, because all I heard in the offseason was "oh we'll be good with tannehill healthy". That has turned out not to be true, and I don't think Gase knows how to use Drake, despite the past week. If they keep it close with da burrs then maybe they'll stay where they are, but I don't see it.

I dunno why y'all keep shitting on the Texans compared to some teams. A healthy Clowney and a healthy Watt alone make the defense disgusting, but then again they are 1-3 with zero running game. It's so hard to say because they really didn't deserve the win at the Cowboys, but Jason Garrett was too busy clapping and slapping asses to notice that maybe covering Hopkins is a good idea. I want to see them go up but I dunno who drops to balance it out.

Anytime you lose to the bills you deserve to go down, sorry. The bills WR1 is kelvin fucking benjamin. are you serious? You stun the eagles but can't muster a TD against the bills? hahaha

Meanwhile Golladay and Kerryon are slowly reviving the hopes of a shattered fanbase... not like it matters in the NFC north though. Lions are likely last, even if the team might be top 50% of the league.

TheValkyries

I think almost every MVP QB in the last 15 years has had an all pro to throw too.
The offense works because Reid is a great offensive coordinator who the whole league is trying to copy. I explicitly said that in the post. But go off my guy.

And like two posts after yours we have someone saying Wentz and Mahomes are the best young QBs in the league. I’m exhausted in my bones from how fucking fast people want to suck a QBs dick when they’ve literally barely got anything to do with the majority of the success of their offense outside of “Dont majorly fuck it up”.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I don't think Gase knows how to use Drake
He literally doesn't know how. Drake's getting like 10 touches a game and half the rushing attempts of a 35-year-old.

Incidentally, Drake is also the Dolphins' receptions leader (because, again, the Dolphins' best WR is a guy who is barely a viable #2) and the Dolphins are only averaging something like 45 plays per game. Note that the league-low PPG is usually something like 60 and the average is around 70. What the fuck, Dolphins?

Edit: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/plays-per-game?date=2018-10-11

52.0 per game, which is actually not even the lowest (Arizona at 49.4). Both of them are below the 2005 49ers which are the next lowest.

Last edited:
I feel like we were having this exact conservation with David Johnson a few weeks ago. Then Arizona realized how to actually use him (in an H-back role) instead of trying to run up the middle every down and get nothing because there's nobody worth a damn around him in that offense. Phins need to do that with Drake if they're gonna keep giving Gore significant snaps

The offense works because Reid is a great offensive coordinator who the whole league is trying to copy. I explicitly said that in the post. But go off my guy.

And like two posts after yours we have someone saying Wentz and Mahomes are the best young QBs in the league. I’m exhausted in my bones from how fucking fast people want to suck a QBs dick when they’ve literally barely got anything to do with the majority of the success of their offense outside of “Dont majorly fuck it up”.
You also explicitly said that Tyreek and Kelce deserve more credit than Mahomes.

When every NFL team would trade a Tyreek and Kelce to have a Mahomes.

If Mahomes was throwing 2 yard checkdowns to Kelce and Tyreek every pass you might have a point, but he's not. He's airing it out 20 yards downfield every 3rd attempt.

Its great that Andy reid finds ways to get his talented guys open, but it doesn't matter unless you have a QB that can hit throws like Mahomes.

Just a question: how much of an impact do you think Baker has had on the Browns offense? I know you liked Tyrod, but its pretty clear he was completely incapable of competently running the Browns offense and when Baker stepped in they instantly had a respectable passing game. Shouldn't Baker get most of the credit there?

Giving (((THE SYSTEM))) credit instead of quarterback X is one of the most lazy arguments in football, I've seen people do it enough with Tom Brady so I gotta defend #myguys when people use it against them.

(#Myguys: Baker, Phillip Rivers, Mahomes and Wentz even tho hes been sucking this year)

Last edited:

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I mean, has the system even changed in Kansas city since Alex Smith was the qb? They were winning games but their offense didn't look quite as dynamic with Smith at the helm. Kareem hunt was the engine last year and the wide receivers weren't heavily involved. This year hunt, though still great, is not putting up as gaudy numbers since the passing game has flourished. Can you really argue that the change from Smith to Mahomes isn't the most obvious reason? The supporting personnel and scheme are almost exactly the same.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
spicy spicy rankings

actually no offense but urs are not that spicy compared to like the big websites... booo.... put the bears top 5!!

A few notes, as always

washington down four
dolphins down 2-3
texans???
titans swap with lions

Washington got humiliated hard against God-King Brees' record day. The secondary was hot fucking garbage, and there was zero offensive presence throughout the entire game. I respect them allowing Breesus to pop off, but that was a pathetic showing. Alex Smith also doesn't deserve 27 million a year with the way he's playing. Also, who's their starting RB with Thompson and AP being day-to-day? It's a fiesta in Washington, and definitely not the good kind. I'd argue that the Giants have more offensive weaponry at their disposal and are at least putting up points.

Ryan tannehill is not good. That alone knocks the fins down two, because all I heard in the offseason was "oh we'll be good with tannehill healthy". That has turned out not to be true, and I don't think Gase knows how to use Drake, despite the past week. If they keep it close with da burrs then maybe they'll stay where they are, but I don't see it.

I dunno why y'all keep shitting on the Texans compared to some teams. A healthy Clowney and a healthy Watt alone make the defense disgusting, but then again they are 1-3 with zero running game. It's so hard to say because they really didn't deserve the win at the Cowboys, but Jason Garrett was too busy clapping and slapping asses to notice that maybe covering Hopkins is a good idea. I want to see them go up but I dunno who drops to balance it out.

Anytime you lose to the bills you deserve to go down, sorry. The bills WR1 is kelvin fucking benjamin. are you serious? You stun the eagles but can't muster a TD against the bills? hahaha

Meanwhile Golladay and Kerryon are slowly reviving the hopes of a shattered fanbase... not like it matters in the NFC north though. Lions are likely last, even if the team might be top 50% of the league.
Love your feedback as always man.

With Washington and the Dolphins, like last week they're about 1 week away from a free fall. I fully expect the Dolphins to get beaten by the Bears while at home, which would mean 3 straight losses and a tumble into the 20s.

Washington are such a tough team to peg. Their defense isn't as bad as it looked against Breesus, but their offense is just....blegh. A lot of these teams in the lower-middle range are really really tough to try and figure out.

Texans should be way better than they are, I have them the highest ranked of all 4 of us this week, but that worst oline in the NFL and that crap running game isn't being fixed any time soon. They'll win games off virtue of their defense and Watson magic alone, but their ceiling is capped if they can't figure out those phases of the ball.

Titans still belong ahead of the Lions (only just). They still have more wins on the season, and while the Lions have beaten the Patriots and the Packers, the Titans beat the Jags at their own game (plus beat the Eagles as you mentioned), which earnt a lot of respect from me. That, and I have a sinking feeling that they'll beat my Ravens this weekend.

Having said that, I do think the Lions are a better team than the Titans overall and I fully expect them to overtake them at some stage this season.

Gettleman looking like a dumbass in retrospect for taking Barkley instead of Eli's replacement. I wish some hero was still around so we could mock him for being an Eli-stan

Gettleman looking like a dumbass in retrospect for taking Barkley instead of Eli's replacement. I wish some hero was still around so we could mock him for being an Eli-stan
Only liking for the some hero part of the comment. Giants should've traded up and gotten a QB in 2017's draft and begun prepping him in anticipation of Eli's declined play, not after. So now you've got all these talented receivers (one of whom is Engram, whom they took 1st round in 2017) and no way to utilize them. Make no mistake, Saquon is the only reason they aren't winless right now and why they've at least been close in other games

Only liking for the some hero part of the comment. Giants should've traded up and gotten a QB in 2017's draft and begun prepping him in anticipation of Eli's declined play, not after. So now you've got all these talented receivers (one of whom is Engram, whom they took 1st round in 2017) and no way to utilize them. Make no mistake, Saquon is the only reason they aren't winless right now and why they've at least been close in other games
Everything you say is true but taking a RB at the top of the draft is not smart. As great a generational talent as Barkley may be, he is at the least valued position with the highest injury risk and the giants will pay top of the market for him BECAUSE he was the second overall pick.
Last spring is already being compared to '83 and '04 in terms of qb talent and the giants passed on it because gettleman refused to embrace reality and move in from Manning's extremely washed corpse. Considering how much the jets gave up (1.98 cents on the dollar) to trade with Indianapolis last spring, Gettleman cojmd have made a killing selling the #2 pick and probably still taken Barkley at 7th or whatever.
Dont get me wrong though, because I dont particularly like the Giants, or anyone in the NFC east for that matter. I'm more than happy to pick them apart for clinging to the façade of Eli.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's also possible that the Giants' scouts weren't strong enough believers in this year's QB prospects to take one that high? They're typically an organization that drafts what they feel is the best player available, regardless of need. Given that Eli has a clean injury history and several other older QBs are still performing, it's reasonable to think the Giants were confident enough that he wasn't going to decline too badly this year and didn't have a really urgent need to get a QB. Hindsight is always 20/20 here. Perhaps the Giants were eyeing someone in next year's draft and wanted to grab Saquon because he'll be a great piece to bring balance to an offense that will need to develop a rookie slowly?

But isn't the QB draft class for next year bootycheeks compared to what it was this year? I think it might be two years until the Giants can draft an Eli replacement...

I thought eli showed enough last season to warrant a change. I mean yeah McAdont was hot garbage but his QB didn't do him any favors. And I have also heard about this years qb class being relatively weak. A young quarterback on a cheap contract is the best asset in football. Full stop. You would think that the giants paying OBJ qb money would be motivation to go get a cheap real QB who can develop. Anyway I'd argue a better Oline is more important than an all world RB for developing a young qb. Just look at what poor Deshaun Watson has to deal with this year. But again, I am enjoying watching the Giants flounder because I find them highly overrated just because they beat the Pats twice.

2020 will be a good year to draft a franchise signal caller. My wet dream is that the Lions tank next season (maybe Stafford gets injured a la Rodgers method) and trade him to a desperate franchise like Tampa or Jacksonville for a bunch of picks and then take the demi-god named Tua Tagovailoa as our future superstar.

And like two posts after yours we have someone saying Wentz and Mahomes are the best young QBs in the league.
I mean unless you wanna try and argue that Dak, Carr and Winston are better than them isn't this technically true lmao

just because you've had to argue against people calling Brady a system QB for a decade doesn't mean they all have to be system QBs.

Really hope Barkley doesn't get burnt out before he is on or gets a super bowl challenging team around him.

I want to blame the OLine for Eli being doodoo.. but honestly, you can make any NFL OLine work if you're competent enough. Eli has the shittiest reads and is the most lackluster QB.. can't create a damn thing. Giants as a whole.. just fucking garbage.

TheValkyries

I mean unless you wanna try and argue that Dak, Carr and Winston are better than them isn't this technically true lmao

just because you've had to argue against people calling Brady a system QB for a decade doesn't mean they all have to be system QBs.
Well Dak is better but he isn’t good enough to carry the hulking weight of inept coaching, and bad talent. But even if I were to play the moving goal post game of “best [qualifier] QB” the problem is simply they’re good probably, but neither of them are MVP good and this isn’t a reverse projection of people on Brady’s case, if anything Pretzels reaction is more in line with that kind of thinking which is funnily enough exactly what he said. And again I don’t want to convey a message I’m not trying to send. The lavish praise and ludicrous comparisons both of those QBs in particular get just simply are unfounded given the fact that they are surrounded by everything that’s needed to succeed in the NFL. Everyone seems to take that sentiment to mean that they’re bad actually but again to be clear they’re probably good. Last I checked though it wasn’t the Most Probably Good Player award. I contend they absolutely don’t have the lions share of the offensive success on their teams and if there were such a metric as “Success Above Replacement” Kelce and Tyreek Hill would absolutely be crushing it there far more than Mahomes. And we literally saw what happened when they replaced Wentz.

So all in all: miss me Entirely with the trash that encompasses the logic behind the ‘all success is due to the QB, the game of football is actually just one QB versus a defense and the other players are merely an extension of his skill’ stuff. If you put a team together of the all the best offensive players at each position and put an average NFL qb behind center you’d have far and away the best offense in the league, and the QB would still get the credit, and be the fan favorite MVP. And that’s SEVERELY laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)