The Everything NHL Thread

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
blah blah blah columbus has nothing to gain from a first round exit against chicago either.

you can just openly say you don't want detroit in the playoffs simply because you don't like detroit. it's ok, i promise.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'd say a struggling franchise at the gates like Columbus probably has a lot to gain from making the playoffs. Even if it only lasts a round.

That said, I don't want the Wings, or any original 6 out of the playoffs (ok maybe the Leafs).

Martin St-Louis about to win Art Ross :D !!! (*jinxes)

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd love columbus to make the playoffs. That said, the wings know how to amp it up when it's on the line. They're most likely gonna win the next game and get in.

As much as I hate the Wild, I also want them to win their next 2 and get the 6th seed so we don't have to play the fucking Blues.

Eraddd

One Pixel
Double post but whatever.

Wild can jump off a cliff now that they lost embarrassingly to the Oilers. Need both Jackets and Wings to make it now.

Coincidentally, the ending of the season is similar to that of last year. It's most likely that whichever team loses (Sharks/Kings) they'll play the Canucks, which also happened last year, with the Kings losing in OT. Will be interesting how this plays out. Also fuck the Blues do not want to play them in the first round.

Funny how hours before the game, Dreger tweets that Dallas is hiring Jim Nill as GM. Good move on Dallas' part though it'll make it fucking awkward in the GM press box haha.

Finally let's see if the Oilers have what it takes to crack an amazing defense consisting of a rookie who's played his third game, one of the worst first rounders ever chosen, a pylon who played in the AHL for most of the season, and a maligned overpaid defensemen. This should be good.

Edit: Also the Leafs/Habs matchup should be amazing. Definitely looking forward to the playoffs.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Edit: Also the Leafs/Habs matchup should be amazing. Definitely looking forward to the playoffs.
Well this isn't decided yet, if the Bruins fail to win their last game (even if they lose in OT), the canadiens will be second, playing the senators, and the bruins will be fourth, playing the maple leafs.

in any case, I'm really looking forward the playoffs. I really hope the islanders can put up a good series against the penguins/bruins depending on who they get.

btw fuck the wild.

Eraddd

One Pixel
I'm okay with BOS/TOR also. Another great match up.

I'm just thankful that playoffs start after finals and in the summer so I can actually watch in the late afternoon/evening.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yakupov claims the rookie scoring crown. Should lose to Huberdeau/Gallagher though because he has 219 less shots on net, 8297 less intangiburrz, 37492 less leadershipz, and 3819571932847 more classlessnesses. *cough*Plays for the Oilers.*cough*

And Canucks fans didn't believe how bad Cam Barker was until they'd seen it. ;)

Super pleased with a lot of the round 1 matchups. Really bummed Columbus didn't get the 8 over Minnesota, but most of the rest is awesome.

Detroit/Anahiem is a super fun rivalry. Seems like people outside of those fanbases don't realize it, but it is by far the most heated rivalry for Detroit since the previous lockout. Several good playoff series between these teams the last several years and should be good games. Eager to see if Datsyuk and Perry fight again.

No real rivalry in any of them but STL/LAK and SJ/VAN should be super fun. All of them could win the conference feasibly, seem like they're a round early but should be great hockey. Good physical playoff teams.

WSH/NYR part 3 should be fun. I'm still sore over the last loss to the Rangers but these guys have ran into each other enough that it should be heated. Expecting close hockey, too -- Rangers won the season series really hard but Caps are way hotter going into playoffs so this should be really good, too.

Toronto vs. Boston/Montreal should be good divisional fare too, nice to see the Leafs back in the playoffs.

also saving this here because i know ill need it later in the playoffs

Eraddd

One Pixel
And Canucks fans didn't believe how bad Cam Barker was until they'd seen it. ;)
No we know how bad he is.

It's unfortunate Tanev is out when otherwise Barker's ass would be stapled to the bench. All he can really do is pass and shoot I guess. I don't think Chicago's prospect system taught him to play defense at a NHL level or he was just bad it from the beginning.

OK guys, time for our predictions, I guess?

James Norris Memorial Trophy

Winner: P.K Subban, Montreal Canadiens

Runner-up: Kristopher Letang, Pittsburgh Penguins

Vézina Trophy:

Winner: Sergei Bobrovsky, Columbus Blue Jackets

Runner-up: Corey Crawford, Chicago Blackhawks

Calder Memorial Trophy:

Winner: Brendan Gallagher, Montreal Canadiens

Runner-up: Jonathan Huberdeau, Florida Panthers

Jack Adams Award:

Winner: Paul MacLean, Ottawa Senators

Runner-up: Michel Terrien, Montreal Canadiens

Frank J. Selke Trophy:

Winner: Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks

Runner-up: Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy:

Winner: Patrick Kane, Chicago Blackhawks

Runner-up: Martin St-Louis, Tampa Bay Lightning

Corey Crawford? Really?

Ryan Suter would be my choice for the Norris with Subban being the runner-up. What a weak year for defenseman.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
OK guys, time for our predictions, I guess?

I've heard this a few times, why do people say it's been a weak year for defensemen ? I can only guess it is because Karlsson was hurt....

I'd love for Letang to win Norris but realistically, he missed too many games in a short season and there are plenty of people that believe he is solely an offensive D. That and having extra points simply for playing for the Pens. Still the only D above ppg.

Want Huberdeau to win Calder because he pulled offense for the league's shittiest team. I think he can get it but I would be satisfied with anybody not named Cory Conacher winning the award. The only way I'd want a 23 yo to win Calder is if he pulled something much greater than his 20/below 20s competitors.

Don't think Therrien has a chance with the way the Habs finished the season. Perhaps it's time to actual reward a coach that got his team the President's trophy. When was the last time it happened? I think it was Bowman in the late 90s..

Didn't pay attention to goalies much but I'd prefer a goalie that made the playoffs over one that didn't.

I realize you left Hart out of your predictions. How odd. I feel like going back to Ovechkin. He pulled something nasty late-season and brought the Caps to the playoffs. Crosby missed games, Stamkos didn't make the playoffs and I HATE goalies winning Hart (although after looking at the list of winners, it happens about as much as I would like it to).

lmfao i made a mistake i meant Pavel Datsyuk for Lady Byng. Tbh Vezina I had no idea who to put for runner-up, I'd probably put Carey Price if he didn't play like shit at the end of the season. And yeah I forgot Hart, that would go to Alex Ovechkin.

I made my predictions. =P You may call me crazy for saying that San Jose will beat Vancouver, and Los Angeles will beat Anaheim, but I honestly feel that LA is a stronger team even though their regular season record didn't reflect that. (What happened last year.) And I just have a feeling that San Jose will give VAN a tough time.

I also have to put my home team as the champs, but I think CHI, and PIT are evenly matched when we are healthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)