The Everything NHL Thread

http://imgius.com/photos/20130509136808541567205.gif

cannot stop laughing
While the lack of hustle looks bad that goal is 100% #38's fault. The shooter is his man and yet he crashes the puck and leaves him wide the fuck open. Maybe if OV had been going a full sprint he might have made it in time to be just out of range to stop the shot but what the gif doesn't show is that he is covering a defenseman and so had he been crashing the puck the pass would have just gone to the man he left wide open and he would still be the butt of jokes. If he had stayed on his man and then charged at the shooter once he sees the pass he wouldn't make it in time. Hustle when he has zero chance just isn't his thing. Yeah it makes him an easy target for fans who like a cheap laugh but his personality is that he is the greatest scorer of his generation, is rich as fuck, has a hot fiance, and so gives zero fucks what people think.

you must be the most annoying caps fan ive ever witnessed

so far all of my predictions are right, but the "games to win" isn't looking so great. i did get the hawks/wild and sens/habs games played correct though. funnily enough, i picked the sharks to win in 7 over the canucks, but that ended up being the only sweep of the first round.

obviously my leafs over bruins and blues over kings predictions are in jeopardy at the moment. i feel like an idiot for even considering the leafs though.

Really surprised not to see St. Louis on thr ballot for Hart. Granted I think the Hart should almost always go to someone on a playoff team (you could even argue he wasn't even the most valuable player on TB), St. Louis had a pretty remarkable season despite his team's woes. Being the oldest player to ever lead the league in points is a pretty awesome feat.

My vote? Honestly I think it's hard to argue that Tavares wasn't the most valuable player for his team. Without him, there is a zero percent chance the Isles make the playoffs. I think Crosby will continue to be the best player in the league for another 6 or 7 years assuming he stats healthy, but I think Tavares means so much more to his team than both Crosby and Ovy.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You're really surprised to not see St-Louis in the race yet you give two very good reasons why he isn't.

Nominated for Ted Lindsay though.

Lol good call, guess I was just rambling. Would've been cool to see him recognized with a nom, but it's good to see he's a Ted Lindsay finalist.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Honestly I think the Hart finalists are the only ones they've gotten right this year. Letang missed too many games despite his offensive output to justify a Norris nomination over Kronwall or OEL. Yakupov gets snubbed for Huberdeau for the Calder despite beating him in pretty much every stat (not even going to bother with the joke that was the Brandon Saad nomination). Tuuka Rask got snubbed in favor of Niemi/Lundqvist for the Vezina.

Honestly I think the Hart finalists are the only ones they've gotten right this year. Letang missed too many games despite his offensive output to justify a Norris nomination over Kronwall or OEL. Yakupov gets snubbed for Huberdeau for the Calder despite beating him in pretty much every stat (not even going to bother with the joke that was the Brandon Saad nomination). Tuuka Rask got snubbed in favor of Niemi/Lundqvist for the Vezina.
Lol wat? Kronwall probably isnt even a top 15 defenseman this year. OEL was great but his team missed the playoffs. I think Letang is overrated but he deserves Norris recognition. Yakupov wasnt snubbed, I mean Brodin wasnt even a finalist. I dont think Rask was snubbed, perhaps the voters consider him to be a system goalie. This was probably was one of the worst Hart races I have seen mainly due to injuries, teams missing the playoffs, etc.

New World Order

Licks Toads
Lol wat? Kronwall probably isnt even a top 15 defenseman this year. OEL was great but his team missed the playoffs. I think Letang is overrated but he deserves Norris recognition. Yakupov wasnt snubbed, I mean Brodin wasnt even a finalist. I dont think Rask was snubbed, perhaps the voters consider him to be a system goalie. This was probably was one of the worst Hart races I have seen mainly due to injuries, teams missing the playoffs, etc.
Did you watch Kronwall play this season? Norris=/=making the playoffs, Phoenix missed the playoffs because their first line featured crap like Hanzal and Boedker, take OEL off that team and they battle Florida/Colorado for last place. Yakupov was snubbed by the simple fact that Huberdeau got a nomination (seriously did Huberdeau beat Yakupov in anything except ice time and assists?), I do strongly believe that Brodin should've been a nominee, but didn't want to rant about it (seriously Brandon Saad?). Mike Smith got a nomination last season, so being a "system goalie" shouldn't hurt Rask's nomination if he puts up Vezina calibre numbers.

Did you watch Kronwall play this season
I have and I dont see why he should have gotten Norris consideration. He was pretty brutal defensively early, he improved but he is just strictly average in own end. Ive been on other hockey forums and a lot of Detroit fans scoffed at any mention of Kronwall as a Norris candidate.

Francois Beauchemin and Drew Doughty should have gotten more Norris consideration.

Norris=/=making the playoffs, Phoenix missed the playoffs because their first line featured crap like Hanzal and Boedker, take OEL off that team and they battle Florida/Colorado for last place.
It matters to the voters. When is the last time a defenseman was a Norris finalist and his team missed the playoffs? I would have to dig deep on that one. I dont think its happened in my time watching hockey.

Yakupov was snubbed by the simple fact that Huberdeau got a nomination (seriously did Huberdeau beat Yakupov in anything except ice time and assists?), I do strongly believe that Brodin should've been a nominee, but didn't want to rant about it (seriously Brandon Saad?).
Was exactly did Yakupov do that was impressive? He was 4th in points on team that really didnt care much for defensive play. He had a stretch where he had 1 goal in 25 games and had 6 goals in the final 3 games of the season. My pick would have been Brodin but Gallagher deserves it the most out of Huberdeau, Saad and himself.

Mike Smith got a nomination last season, so being a "system goalie" shouldn't hurt Rask's nomination if he puts up Vezina calibre numbers.
Mike Smith was 4th in voting last year which is probably where Rask ended up this year. The GMs might have an impression (rightly or wrongly) that Boston's defensive system helps their goaltenders, considering they voted Thomas the Vezina twice and then Boston didn't really miss a bit transitioning from him to Rask. The GMs also like goalies that play a lot of games and Rask was 15th in games played. Im not sure how its that big of a deal when Niemi and Lundqvist were terrific and were their teams best players.

And just so you know there is no such thing as a nomination just votes. The award has already been determined.

Caps win. I really don't know how we've won a game with Lundqvist in net. He's been insane all five games. Hopefully he finally has a bad game Sunday.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
unimpressed with the tavares nom... i could probably make a case for 1) getzlaf, 2) toews, 3) datsyuk or fuck even 4) kessel before tavares. the "the islanders were supposed to be shit!" argument holds nothing for me because 1) anaheim was also supposed to be shit 2) no one thought the hawks would be THAT good (how soon people forget about the historic streak), 3) the red wings had huge question marks without lidstrom and 4) the leafs are a joke but somehow pulled it together.

as for "help" sure all my players listed had a "right hand man" so to speak in perry/kane/zetterberg/kadri but tavares had matt moulson who put up an extremely comparable year to tavares himself.

just dont see it

unimpressed with the tavares nom... i could probably make a case for 1) getzlaf, 2) toews, 3) datsyuk or fuck even 4) kessel before tavares. the "the islanders were supposed to be shit!" argument holds nothing for me because 1) anaheim was also supposed to be shit 2) no one thought the hawks would be THAT good (how soon people forget about the historic streak), 3) the red wings had huge question marks without lidstrom and 4) the leafs are a joke but somehow pulled it together.

as for "help" sure all my players listed had a "right hand man" so to speak in perry/kane/zetterberg/kadri but tavares had matt moulson who put up an extremely comparable year to tavares himself.

just dont see it
I agree that the narrative that Tavares carried the Islanders to the playoffs is really overblown. But keep in mind that this was a very odd Hart race. Crosby got injured, Stamkos and MSL missed the playoffs, Bobrovsky missed the playoffs, Karlsson and Anderson got hurt. Getzlaf could have gotten more consideration but he's not really much better than Tavares. The Leafs made the playoffs because of JVR, Kadri and Reimer not Kessel. Zetterberg/Datsyuk and Kane/Toews kind of cancel each other out.

I wouldnt be surprised if there is a huge gap in the voting after Crosby/Ovechkin.

Dunno if this thread or the Game of Thrones thread is more appropriate but still hilarious either way. A "you know nothing Jon Snow" joke is too easy for this one

New World Order

Licks Toads

just dont see it
The thing with guys like Toews, and Datsyuk is that there are legitimate arguments that they're not even the MVPs of their own teams.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
and the islanders are out....certainly a fun and intense series, and not the clean penguins sweep everyone was expecting.

here's hoping the caps knock out the rangers and the blackhawks win the cup :)

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Shut up Solace why are you even here. /me pet

Rumour is that Vigneault is gone. While being the most successful coach to date in this franchise, it's definitely time to let him go. I'm guessing that the prime candidates are Eakins, Boucher and Ruff though there are rumours of others being sought after which is interesting to say the least.

Tough loss for the Isles, their fans deserve at least a series win after the way that organization has been run the last 20 years. They actually carried the play for most of the series and I think their blueline is really underrated. I really like MacDonald and Hamonic. I was not impressed at all by Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh-Ottawa will be an interesting series. Safe money is still on the Pens but I would not be shocked if Ottawa won.

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
Our team was one that most picked to finish last in the regular season, and when we made the playoffs most of the experts were saying Pittsburgh would sweep or that we might manage to steal a game. Instead, we played our brand of hockey and outworked the Penguins in 4 of the 6 games of the series. We stood toe to toe with one of the most offensively stacked teams in the league, and for that we should be proud.

I could complain about the weak call in overtime of Game 3, or the non-call on what up in my seats appeared to be a blatant trip that the Penguins then took back and tied the game up in this most recent contest, but to be honest the terrible officiating in this series led to power plays for both teams. We couldn't contain the Pens PP, and they did an excellent job of shutting our PP down.

I think it's gonna take a coaching change and a new goaltender before we advance beyond the first round of the playoffs, but the future is definitely bright for the Islanders right now, and I can say for the first time in a while that I'm proud to be a fan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)