The forgotten Genie (Peaked #1!)

gr8astard

Here comes the waterworks!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 9th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Hi kidogo, long time no see :] I was going to say that Tornadus-T could probably pull a similar job to your Tornadus right here, but I definitely see the appeal of prankster substitute as I have abused them before Thundurus' ban. In addition, pairing up subprankster Tornadus with Gastrodon is an amazing idea because of their great synergy, and choiced users would often overpredict thinking you would switch to Gastrodon to sponge whatever supereffective hit they're throwing at you, while your prediction is essentially risk-free with prankster subs. I would definitely have to try out that combination sometime.
Although I haven't faced this team nor have I used it, I see how effective it can be. My only concern is your matchup vs sun teams, as Ninetales can freely spread burns around your team and Latios will be quickly weakened before you know it. Using scarf Latios as a revenge killer also has the disadvantage of being easily trapped by Ttar, and that could pave the way for opposing boosting sweepers to power through your team. These can all be played around, of course, as I doubt you have any replaceable member on the team.
At any rate, great job, and congrats on the peak!

Hey man you deserve the luvdisc for creativity alone. If there were more people like you we wouldn't see the crowds of people whining about weather all the time (*ineverwhinedaboutitcough*).

Also a testament to how strong this team is that I think there are 3 accounts that are in the top 10 atm or near it. However I faced this team once and won, and suffice to say SD Scizor is a very, major nuisance to this team once it sets up, especially when Tentacruel is long spinned and dead. Particularly if the Scizor in question runs Jolly. GL and see you personally on the ladder soon :)

I remember battling this team when you were like 15-1 and I knew you were gonna top the ladder right away cause I had some pretty good hax on you and you still won 4-0 lol, plus I could not find like any real weaknesses on this team and you're a good battler too. Congrats on the awesome team! Definitely the best one of played against
Thanks a lot for the rate! It's been really fun to design and to play with.

Hi kidogo, long time no see :] I was going to say that Tornadus-T could probably pull a similar job to your Tornadus right here, but I definitely see the appeal of prankster substitute as I have abused them before Thundurus' ban. In addition, pairing up subprankster Tornadus with Gastrodon is an amazing idea because of their great synergy, and choiced users would often overpredict thinking you would switch to Gastrodon to sponge whatever supereffective hit they're throwing at you, while your prediction is essentially risk-free with prankster subs. I would definitely have to try out that combination sometime.
Although I haven't faced this team nor have I used it, I see how effective it can be. My only concern is your matchup vs sun teams, as Ninetales can freely spread burns around your team and Latios will be quickly weakened before you know it. Using scarf Latios as a revenge killer also has the disadvantage of being easily trapped by Ttar, and that could pave the way for opposing boosting sweepers to power through your team. These can all be played around, of course, as I doubt you have any replaceable member on the team.
At any rate, great job, and congrats on the peak!
Hey, haven't see you in a while! (where did you vanish to?)
Yay, someone else who appreciates the utility in priority subs! I especially love going against scarfsect, who uses u-turn on my sub and fails to break it (without the attack boost). It's also super fun to beat mamo since I outspeed even +1 ice shard and get a free sub if he overpredicts and eqs :)
It's true, I don't have a status absorber, which is problematic sometimes. Its funny though--this team sometimes plays very stallishly, and sometimes very offensively; when I fight sun, I'm very offensive. Latios is really useful and although it does get weakened quickly as you said, I'm very careful to conserve it and wish from rachi helps (rachi and latios also have amazing synergy, which makes wish-passing easier than it would be otherwise). You're right though, sun is pretty threatening. Ttar is also annoying, and requires a lot of playing around, especially when they've got a set-up sweeper lurking in the wings.
Thanks for the rate!

Hey man you deserve the luvdisc for creativity alone. If there were more people like you we wouldn't see the crowds of people whining about weather all the time (*ineverwhinedaboutitcough*).

Also a testament to how strong this team is that I think there are 3 accounts that are in the top 10 atm or near it. However I faced this team once and won, and suffice to say SD Scizor is a very, major nuisance to this team once it sets up, especially when Tentacruel is long spinned and dead. Particularly if the Scizor in question runs Jolly. GL and see you personally on the ladder soon :)
I'm pretty sure I remember facing you, and it's not a happy memory (at least in terms of the outcome of the match haha). SDzor is one of those threats that I should be fine with in theory but that always ends up doing way too much damage. Lucario too--I rely on tenta to check both of those, and he's busy already with spinning and tspiking. A faster spread on rachi should help though.
I think I'm becoming a little account-happy--at one point I had 5 or 6 active accounts as I was tryng to get to #1 with a perfect record on one of them (I made it to 50-0 with one before tilting terribly lol!). This also happened when I played DW lol. I think it's a sign I need to spend less time laddering lol...

Thanks for the comments and luvdiscs everyone, keep them coming!

Hey I was wondering how you deal with a well played ferrothorn? It can pretty much wall your entire team and if they're smart and don't let it get tricked a scarf it pretty much walls your entire team.

Well, as I said in the RMT ferrothorn can be somewhat problematic. Burning it makes it vastly more manageable, given the residual damage and the fact that tornadus can set up on it with impunity. Speaking of tornadus, hurricane 2HKOs the majority of ferrothorn and hurricane + focus blast KOs basically all. Substituge and taunt let me prevent it from leech seeding, thunder waving, and setting up any hazards. Meanwhile, tricking it a scarf renders it basically useless, as does burning it. Unless I am very very unlucky, tentacruel can take it on quite nicely--scald to burn it while rapid spin removes leech seed and any hazards it may have set up.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
So this team totally slipped under the radar!!11!1! I can say without a doubt that it's one of the most annoying teams to face ever (largely due to Tentacruel ffs) and I would RATHER face Tornadus-T than Tornadus-I on this team. It's pretty damn solid, and one of the few teams that Genesect has trouble steam rolling. My only suggestion is to run Superpower over Focus Blast. You don't lose coverage against anything in particular, you're more effective against Tyranitar, Blissey & Chansey and you don't have to deal with that awful accuracy either.

Good job.

Hey PK, thanks a lot for the comment, and just when I thought the RMT had finally breathed its last! Tentacruel really is such an annoying pokemon, I'm just glad I finally decided to use it so I'm not the one being annoyed haha. It also is like rain's best counter for stuff like genesect and lucario.

I'm very glad you like the Tornadus-I set, it's like my favorite set of 5th gen atm. It saved me in r1 of the smogon tours last week by stalling outrages, and it constantly saves me by scouting, stalling, and more. I really have considered superpower > focus blast and it's something I will test if I continue to use this team, my main complaint is that tornadus is an utterly incredible late-game clean-upper, and having superpower means I have to switch out with more frequency than I'd like, as well as being much weaker than focus blast. It is definitely something I will consider though.

Oh, and btw for anyone reading this, tentacruel + gastrodon is an incredibly effective combo, they cover each others weaknesses nicely and just fit very well together. I've 6-0'd people by setting up rain and rocks and then stalling with these two.

Oh and also, perish song + priority sub is a really cool strategy--perish song, protect, switch to tornadus, and sub. If they switch, free sub. If they don't you're fine and they faint even if they're faster than you, because of prankster!

I've been watching your variation of this team with Celebi and I think some other minor changes in action recently and can say for sure that it is very, very good. I think it shows that rain stall isn't dead quite yet. No criticism here. And without a doubt, very aggravating to play against. Luvdisc'd

Thanks parappa! Yeah, one of the small things that's been consistently bugging me is the lack of a cleric, which makes me weaker to stall, so I was trying out celebi to remedy that. I've also been playing on PO2 recently, since PS's ladder got kinda messed up after the reset (and I was #1 before the reset too D:). Thanks for the comments, and for the luvdisc!

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Your saying your using Substitute Torn-I to scout choice items, but doesn't Protect Torn-T do the same thing, or am I missing something too? Looks cool, and it's four in the morning, so GL.

Not to mention that it can be used as many times as you want, at the cost of a little health. For example, since it has priority, tornadus makes a really cool check to mamoswine if i have something like toed that can take an eq but not two, so it has to switch in on an ice move. So if tornadus is out against mamo, i sub (which is faster than ice shard), and it breaks it (and I get LO damage if it has it, unlike protect). And then, if it ever mispredicts and uses eq, i get a free sub, and finish mamo off. Another example is with scarfsect with a SpA boost--with sub, I get to see if it uses an elemental attack and if it u-turns, free sub for me! Of course, it has the crucial benefit of punishing the foe for switching, and can stall outrages, fish for misses or confusion, rack up LO or toxic damage...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)