The Goods v.2

Hi guys, I posted this team a while back but it didn't get any replies, and it's undergone some changes since then, so here it is again.
It's named The Goods because every Pokemon is tried-and-true, there aren't really any gimmicks or "Random" Pokemon. Unfortunately, that makes it pretty boring, but it works!
Without further ado, here is my team:

Overview:

In-Depth:

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Nature: Naive
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Speed
~ Taunt
~ Stealth Rock
~ Psychic
~ Explosion

Taunt prevents opponents from setting up the Stealth Rocks that wear my team down (especially Gyarados) and from getting Sleep Powder down. Stealth Rock makes it easier for my offense-oriented team to KO opponents. Explosion lets Azelf take down opposing leads quickly after setting up Taunt and Stealth Rock. Psychic over Fire Blast because it hits Aerodactyl and Swampert harder and I rarely see Metagross/Bronzong.

Rotom-H @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Defense / 88 Speed
~ Discharge
~ Shadow Ball
~ Overheat
~ Toxic/Reflect

(Previously Starmie.) Rotom-H is my resident Spin Blocker and with its variety of moves and typing, makes both a great switch-in and attacker. Discharge over Thunderbolt for its high rate of Paralysis (I can't tell you how many times random Heatran switch-ins have suffered paralysis due to this attack), Shadow Ball for Stab, Overheat for Scizor and such, and Toxic to help wear down walls. Reflect, on the other hand, would help it take Pursuit better, and would give my team a bit more staying power, not to mention that it's useless if Discharge causes paralysis.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Attack/8 Speed
~Bullet Punch
~Pursuit
~Superpower
~U-Turn

Scizor helps to pick off frailer foes such as Latias and Gengar, but U-turn is my move of choice early on in the game, especially when I don't know if my opponent has a Gyarados that could set up on the switch or a Magnezone that could trap and demolish Scizor. I'm very happy with the CB Set; Swords Dance is a bit too slow for my playing style. I'm open to trying the SD set if people feel it would work better, but CB U-Turn is pretty tasty.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/72 Attack/96 Defense/184 Speed
~Taunt
~Dragon Dance
~Waterfall
~Bounce

Gyarados is probably the most dangerous member of this team. It's able to Dragon Dance against Scizor and the like, Taunt expected Roars or Thunder Waves, Dragon Dance a second time as they switch out again, and use its powerful STAB Waterfall and Bounce to eliminate 2-3 enemies.
Why Bounce? It's actually an amazing move, despite its shaky accuracy. It's got a high base power, complimented by STAB, a 30% paralysis rate, and give free Leftovers recover, as well as protection from random Explosions. While Flying may not be the best in terms of type coverage, I've never really had problems with it; It deals Neutral damage to many Pokemon in OU such as Scizor, Latias, Salamence, etc. It's super-effective against Infernape, Machamp, Celebi, and Breloom, who can't Sub to protect itself after Taunt. Gyarados is definitely the star of the show.

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Speed
~Draco Meteor
~Thunderbolt
~Surf
~Trick

Scarf Latias gives me a revenge killer to take on Gyarados and Salamence, and its Trick is great against things like Suicune, and Blissey. Draco Meteor hits hard and the defense drop isn't too detrimental due to its hit and run nature. Thunderbolt is for said Gyarados, and Surf defeats Heatran. I'm considering using Hidden Power Fire here, because Scizor is a common switch in to Draco Meteor, and wrecks with Pursuit. I'm not sure if I should take out Surf or Trick for it. Heatran isn't all that common, and Gyarados can take its hits fairly well (After a DD, it can outspeed Scarfed versions with Bounce to dodge the explosion) and Surf doesn't hit much else that Draco Meteor wouldn't. Trick, on the other hand, is a bit difficult to use, and it might be more consistent just to use another attack.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Nature: Naive
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 64 Attack/252 Special Attack/194 Speed
~Close Combat
~Fire Blast
~Hidden Power (Ice)
~Grass Knot​

Infernape's amazing coverage and wall breaking ability have been extremely useful for me. He's definitely not much of a sweeper, because a lot of things can force him to switch; still, if I predict correctly, he can score a few KOs, and with a base speed over 100, it's capable of mowing through teams that have lost their Scarfers and Latias and such. I really love him on paper, but there have also been a few times when he's been useless; it's hard to switch him in due to his frailty. Not really sure if I should bother with Infernape, or take it out for something a bit sturdier like Heatran.

Well, that's my team. I hope that I can get some advice to help with it because while I've gotten pretty decent at predicting and whatnot, I'm a pretty junk team builder (Hence why it's so standard) and so it would be great to have some experienced members give me some tips.

Hey there!

Cool team you have going! I have a couple of suggestions that I think could help the team out a little bit more. Let's get into the rate.

First off, I think the sweeping combination of Infernape and Gyarados is a great idea. Both of these Pokemon absolutely hate Bulky Water types, so once those are gone you should have a much easier time sweeping. This is the combination that I am most focused on in this rate. I think with the changes I suggest your team will be much more capable of abusing Gyara + Ape and opening up holes for the two of them to sweep.

I think Gyarados' set is great the way it is, but I think Infernape could use a makeover. Specially based MixApe is less reliable both as a wallbreaker and as a sweeper than Physically Based MixApe, who I recommend. The main reason to use this over your current variant is that it can draw out and 2HKO common Gyarados counters such as Vaporeon and offensive Suicune. Once these Pokemon are down, you can set up Gyarados and go for a sweep. In addition, Stone Edge in Infernape's movepool helps hit Zapdos, who poses a bit of a problem for Gyarados because you are running Bounce. Both of these Pokemon are terrific against Stall teams, with Gyarados being able to Taunt and set up and Infernape being able to hit hard from both sides of the spectrum. Infernape can also catch some of its more prominent counters on a switch in with U Turn, such as Latias and Starmie, who with certain sets also trouble Gyarados. Here is the set I recommend:

Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive / Blaze
252 Attack / 64 Special Attack / 192 Speed
-Close Combat
-Overheat
-Stone Edge
-U Turn

Now, your team will struggle a bit against Water types if you cannot manage to hit them on the switch in with Infernape's Close Combat. Having something to be able to switch in and deal with them is a big help. On your team, I think Scizor is the best choice for this role. With a more Specially defensive spread, he can switch into stuff like Vaporeon and U Turn them down to the point that Latias can deal with them. The EV spread to use is
160 HP / 176 Attack / 168 Sp. Def. / 4 Speed.

Rotom does not seem like a good fit to me. The reason is that you already have most every offensive threat covered in just CB Scizor + Scarf Latias. Another defensive Pokemon is not needed. I do, however, think another Steel type would help you out a lot. Having only one Steel type isnt a good plan because you will likely have to deal with Draco Meteors and Outrages most every single match. Having only Scizor as a Dragon resistance leaves you exposed to Dragons, especially teams that abuse the "Double Dragon" strategy. With another steel, you will be better equipped to deal with some of the most threatening Pokemon in the metagame. Looking at your team and the Pokemon it is trying to eliminate, I think an Expert Belt Jirachi would be an excellent fit. This Pokemon uses bluffing and the element of surprise to take down multiple Pokemon, opening up holes for Gyarados and Infernape. By bluffing a Choice Scarf, you can easily take down multiple Pokemon, such as a Scizor with Fire Punch and then a Salamence with Ice Punch the very next turn. Because the bread and butter moves of Jirachi's moveset (Iron Head, Ice Punch, and Fire Punch) are all walled by Water types, it can easily fit into your sweeping core. I think the best choice in the last spot is Thunderbolt instead of Grass Knot, because you have more problems with Gyarados than Swampert, and Thunderbolt still hits many Water types hard. Swampert can be worn down by a U Turn from Scizor, chipping away at it with Azelf, or you can set up Gyarados on it, making Grass Knot a less appealing choice. Thuhderbolt also hits Skarmory for good damage, so you dont let it have the chance to set up Spikes against you. Here is the set I had in mind:

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
Hasty / Serene Grace
252 Attack / 4 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed
-Iron Head
-Ice Punch
-Fire Punch
-Thunderbolt

Hasty over Naive because Scizor can handle most Outrages, or just smack them with Bullet Punch before they attack. You are much more likely to have to switch into a Draco Meteor, which is why Hasty is the better option. The lowered defense isnt a huge deal because Jirachi boasts a resistance to Bullet Punch and Ice Shard, two of the most Popular priority attacks in OU.

Thats all I have, good luck with your team!

After playing with Friar's suggestions I'm still noticing one really glaring weakness: I'm reeeeally vulnerable to Rotom-H. Tyranitar is probably a great check to Rotom (Non W-o-W versions at least) but I'm not sure I want to put it on my team.

Also I'm testing out Gliscor in the lead spot. It has Taunt and Stealth Rock, but more bulk and U-Turn. It's working pretty well despite the fact that it's an offensive team and Gliscor isn't the typical suicide lead. Does anybody have any suggestions on modifying the team to cover Rotom-H better, and what do you think of Gliscor as a lead in this sort of team?

Hello

You could go with Scarf Tyranitar instead of your Scizor, as you are using Scizor to kill off things like latias (big threat against your mixape), which Tyranitar is great at as well. With Choice Scarf you can outspeed standard Rotom-h as well as Gengar.

Tyranitar @ choice scarf/ jolly/ sand stream
6 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe

- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Super Power/ Earthquake

About Gliscor, he could definitely work as with Tyranitar on your team you can activate his Sand Veil ability.

You could also go with Specs Latias now you have a Choice Scarf on Tyranitar. With Choice Specs his moves will be come insanly powerful and things like Scizor and Tyranitar will need to think twice about switching in on her.
Hope this helped!

Hello Nestle. From the looks of your team, there are a couple things that I can help you with.

You currently lack a Rock resist. This can make switching into a CB T-tar's Stone Edge a tricky and painful experience. To amend this, I would recommend this pokemon in place of Rotom-h, as Rotom-h does not seem to give the team much support.

Machamp @ Leftovers | No Guard
Adamant: 252HP/252ATK/4SPEED
Stone Edge / Dynamic Punch / Sleep Talk / Rest

Pros:
Resttalk Machamp gives your team a much needed Rock Resist. Seeing as your team is offensively based, they absolutely despise status effects, like Paralysis. Resttalk Machamp gives you a status absorber. Maximized attack will allow Machamp to guarantee a OHKO on Salamence, if you avoid Intimidate. No Guard, as you well know, will ensure that all hits will land, which makes Stone Edge 100% accurate. Stone Edge is picked over Ice Punch and Payback because you have a scarf Latias, who will be able to eliminate Setup Dragons, and Scizor, who will be able to eliminate Rotom-A. Machamp will decrease the amount of Dark and Ghost weaknesses, which will be only two each, if you choose to keep him.

A couple of Damage Calcs against renowned physical walls, and other pokemon who may come in on Machamp:

Dynamic Punch vs. 252/252 Swampert ~ 34.4% - 40.8% possibly a 3HKO
4 Atk. Swampert Earthquake vs. Machamp ~ 37% - 43.8% Machamp wins 1 on 1.

Dynamic Punch vs. 252/176 Skarmory ~ 32.3% - 38%, but Skarmory cannot Roost.
64 Atk. Skarmory Brave Bird vs. Machamp ~ 73.4% - 86.5% Generally Machamp will lose.

-1 Stone Edge vs. 4/0 Gyarados ~ 58% - 68.9% 2HKO
-1 Stone Edge vs. 156/96 Gyarados ~ 46.5% - 55.1%, 2HKO with SR.
Adamant LO Waterfall, 252Atk vs. Machamp ~ 37.8% - 44.8% 3HKO
Adamant Waterfall, 156Atk vs. Machamp ~ 25.8% - 30.5% 4HKO

Cons
If you choose to take Machamp in place of Rotom-h, be warned that you will have no Flying resists. This is not too bad, because the only flying moves seen in OU are a weak Brave Bird from Skarmory, as well as a Bounce Gyarados. Fortunately, Bounce Gyarados will usually Dragon Dance, which will be outsped and KOed by Latias. Your team will also lose a rapid spin Blocker. This will not hurt too much because your team is not a Spike-Stacking offense, meaning only Stealth Rock can be spun away.

Scizor: Scizor should have no Speed EVs. Against other Scizor, the faster will lose the battle. The second Scizor which uses Superpower will utilize an -1 Defense of the opposition. A later U-Turn will not only shield your team from a powerful hit, but will also give you the offensive momentum.

I like your team, and I hope you make my recommended changes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)