The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

Shogun is done.

If the Forrest fight didn't hint it and the Coleman fight didnt make it clear, the Liddell fight will confirm it.

I wouldn't even put him in my top 20 in the division anymore.
That is a bit tough.. I mean, the guy is what, 16-3? Maybe he isn't in his A game but the guy won his last fight and lost to Griffin, who you can't really call a chump because he beat Rampage also. So I would say if he gets his cardio better and gets some motivation then he'll be a force again. Maybe he's just lost some interest?

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Bull about the cardio. That was his problem in the Forrest fight and we all expected it to be tons better against Coleman.

It wasn't. Why would it change now? Enough with the excuses. Its been 2 in a row, the 2nd after they've made a big story concerning returning to the octogon in shape this time. I'd assume his old injuries affected him just as much mentally as it did physically and he hasnt fully recovered from it.

Anybody would have beaten Coleman that night. In fact, everybody would have beaten Shogun that night as well.

Like I said, the reason for his poor cardio could be from loss of interest, which could come from being satisfied with his career or tired of the sport.

Actually, Lesnar shouldn't even be the champ in the first place. He has how many fights? Exactly. Personally, I just hate how Dana White runs things. He's an idiot.
If anything Dana's an exceptional promoter and a damn good businessman. And why shouldn't Lesnar be the champ? I'm pretty sure he fought for the title and won.

I'm fucking excited to see Shogun vs Liddell. They both have amazing knockout power and one of them is going to get a nice jump in the 205 ladder. If Liddell wins (and he has a great chance of winning) he'd probably have to beat one more good competitor and get a title shot. He's still very popular and I can see him getting a shot at the title one more time. Who knows. Maybe he'll win it and retire a legend hehe.

@Vineon. It's hard to say someone sucks because they lost to Griffin. Tons of guys have done that but you're right about Shogun's cardio. Luckily for him Liddell thinks he's the absolute greatest kickboxer ever and has will have no fear of a ground game.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Im not saying he's done because he lost to Forrest. I'm saying he's done based on how he performed against him and Coleman. I expected a much improved Shogun for the Coleman fight.... it seemed to be an even crappier version of himself. Rampage lost to Forrest, I wouldn't ever say he's done.

Liddell will win this fight. Yes the now old and fragile Liddell will walk through Shogun. There's a reason he is getting Shogun.. it is a big name he will most likely beat, based on Rua's last performances. The UFC understands that and wants their poster boy to win.

But I could be wrong and I would love to be. I still really think Shogun is closing in on a really early retirement. He doesnt seem to have it anymore, whether it is the will to fight or to train, whether his old injuries never fully healed... who knows.

We'll have the answer when they fight in my hometown of Montréal :)

Liddell will win this fight. Yes the now old and fragile Liddell will walk through Shogun. There's a reason he is getting Shogun.. it is a big name he will most likely beat, based on Rua's last performances. The UFC understands that and wants their poster boy to win.

But I could be wrong and I would love to be. :)
I hope you're wrong too. Shogun's still amazing in my eyes and his cardio does suck but he did better against Coleman than people are giving him credit for. Most people would be pretty tired defending and getting up from Coleman's takedowns, not to mention he showed no respect to Coleman's boxing. You think he's going to fight like that vs someone as dangerous as Chuck? Hell no.

If he (Shogun) does the whole move very little around the cage and dont bother with head movement bullshit he's dead. I don't think he's that stupid though. Don't forget there's a reason Chuck dominated 205 at one point, the guy is a dangerous fight for anyone much like Wanderlei with his knockout power only with more reach, size, and better defenses, minus the knees. Then again Wanderlei hasn't been using his knees lately and look how well he's doing lol.

In other news UFC 96 is looking good from here. Jardine always scraps against the bigger names and I doubt he's letting Jackson walk all over him. I wouldn't be too suprised to see Jardine win this but I'm hoping Jackson powerbombs him through the cage or something along those lines.

Notice how Brandon Vera's getting an easy match. Probably because he needs to keep his career alive. He'd do better in HW honestly, LHW is MUCH MUCH more competitive. Hell I'd wager that Fedor himself would do worse in the UFC LHW than he would in HW. Sounds funny but he could make that kid of cut lol.

IDC how Pete Sell ranks I'm always excited to see this guy fight. Sell always gives the fans a good fight and this will probably win fight of the night. Judging from the Ultimate Fighter, Matt Brown is pretty decent and Sell could be a stepping stone for him.

Carwin vs Gonzaga looks exciting too, I'm pulling for an early stoppage in favour of Gonzaga.

Soon as they hold a big event in Nashville (hour away from me) I'm fucking going.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
got to admire Carwin's 10-0 record with 10 victories in the 1st round however.

There are some pretty damn good UFC young heavyweight coming and Carwin is one of those. Velasquez and Pat Barry have looked pretty damn impressive as well. The division definitely is shaping up to become an exciting one.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=18277

Wanderlei Silva takes on Rich Franklin at UFC 99 at 195 lbs. This is UFC's first event in Germany and it's going to be a very interesting main event. Apparently Silva's decided he's fighting at 185 from now on and since Rich moved back up to 205 they decided to fight at a catch weight.

Maybe I'll actually get to see Wanderlei fight Anderson Silva one day hehehe.

I hope Anderson isn't getting bored. I have a feeling he might slip-up. I'm praying he doesn't though.

I'm ordering the fight this weekend. Should be interesting. I'd like to see Rampage win, but I don't think he deserves a title shot just yet. Machida really should get the winner of this fight for the title shot. I'm going also going for Gonzaga, he has potential to be a real threat if he can get the fire back in him. And finally, I'd like to see Hamill win. Everytime I see him fight it reminds me how badly he got robbed by Bisping. Damn judges.

I'm going also going for Gonzaga, he has potential to be a real threat if he can get the fire back in him.
I think that the main reason he lost to Couture was that his nose got badly damaged (at worst bleeding heavily, if not broken) by an accidental headbutt off a take down - he was visibly struggling with his breathing during that fight and looked tired very early on in the piece despite it not being a very highly paced fight.

I don't see Jardine losing to Rampage **if** he remembers to kick the legs, but that's going to be a hell of a fight even if Keith does.

Great fights today. Hamill did amazing; I'm so stoked he won. Matt Brown did an amazing job; Lavine really confused Brown and it was a total domination even though it took two stoppages. Maynard still didn't finish the fight but he didn't look bad. Grove looked good too. Vera finally looked very serious and confident; I think he has some potential still. I was pissed about the Gonzaga fight but props for Carwin. Jardine did amazing(3 rounds against him is amazing in my books) and Rampage wasn't too impressive. The confrontation between Rampage and Evans was so intense.

So much to say but that pretty much sums it up.

Carwin vs Gonzaga looks exciting too, I'm pulling for an early stoppage in favour of Gonzaga.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO but oh well big big props to Carwin, looks like he doesn't have to fuck with cardio since he's not getting out of round 1 anytime soon is he?

Rampage vs Jardine had my heart going 200mph woooow great fight. I thought Jardine was going to finish Rampage in the second round for a second there, but I don't think I've ever been happier not to see a finish in a fight.

I knew Jardine would be really tough for Rampage and I honestly thought Jardine was going to pick Rampage apart after I saw the first round.

Oh yeah, I hope Rampage KO's Evans in the first round. Either that or brutalizes him for 5 rounds.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
I loved how they already started hyping Rampage/Evans which will actually come very soon to replace Mir/Lesnar. That said, I think Rashad takes it.

Carwin hits like a train apparently, 11 round 1 victories in as many fights. Just put him in a number one contender match now. I see that happening against Kongo.

Carwin will definitely be in the contention for the belt soon. Since Dana does whatever brings in more money.

I think he meant Rampage/Evans. Since they were trash talking and it is a anticipated fight.

Carwin hits like a train apparently, 11 round 1 victories in as many fights. Just put him in a number one contender match now. I see that happening against Kongo.
Why waste time, just let him fight whoever has the belt after Mir/Lesnar..

Purely because if he has to fight Kongo it means it won't happen until UFC 102 or thereabouts, leaving no real heavyweight challengers for ~8 events. Unless they do Mir vs Lesnar III.

Edit: disregard that, just read that the Lesnar vs Mir fight may be rescheduled due to an injury..

They announced it yesterday officially at the fight. Mir blow out his knee and had surgery. He said he's willing to fight if even at 80% but needs at least two more weeks before even reaching that state.

Rampage/Evans isn't confirmed yet, rampage didn't even know they scheduled it so soon and has time to decide whether he takes the fight or not. If he doesn't Machida gets the title shot and i presume Rampage would get the winner in the summer.

It's starting to look like Rampage won't take the fight because it's too early. Instead Machida will replace him. I'm really stoked about either fight.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
I dont understand why Rampage wouldn't take it. Is he hurt?

2 months to prepare for Rashad isn't any more than the 2 months Rashad has to prepare for Rampage. I guess he is either hurt or really needs some time off.....

Do you have any idea what training and fighting does to your body? Not just physically but mentally. Everyone just needs a break about a week to just rest and then go back to train differently for the next opponent. He would have two weeks less than what he was told if he were to accept. And that could put him in a spot where he wouldn't be in his best shape for such an important fight. I think he's smart. It's not like he won't be next in line for the title. Plus, he kills two birds with one stone. Since he won't have to defend against either of these two once they defeat each other.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
If he isn't hurt, 2 months is plenty to give him one or 2 weeks off right now and train for the rest. Plenty of fighters fight a busier schedule, ask Josh Koshcheck. He is right after training camp... if anything he could be more in shape and it could turn out to be an advantage. Besides... he gets 300,000$ every fight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)