The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Thinking about it, would Anthony Rumble Johnson be too big for GSP to fight as well? Since being the bigger guy all other people don't stand a chance - according to your fighting logic.

Rumble: 6'2 - 78 Reach
Silva: 6'2 - 77 Reach

Rumble fought Koscheck, and Koscheck won. Take a look at Koscheck and GSP...not so different in terms of who is bigger (GSP probably a bit bigger).

I'm just messing with you from earlier don't take it seriously lol.

What I'm saying is the fight's unlikely to happen, GSP seems hesitant and Silva's nearing retired status, he's going to be 36 years old the next time he fights.

Silva vs GSP and Silva vs Shogun are my dream fights but eh realistically speaking GSP DOES have much more to lose than Silva. Silva isn't as big of a draw and a loss near the end of his career wouldn't hurt him financially, whereas GSP is 29 and most likely has several years left in him. And the UFC's milking him for all he's worth at 170 where he'll probably remain champ for quite some time.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
?

Anyway, did anybody see Diego Sanchez's face after that fight? It seems his face always seems to be what makes him Diego Sanchez.

Also Palhares vs Maia should happen imo.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

What I'm saying is the fight's unlikely to happen, GSP seems hesitant and Silva's nearing retired status, he's going to be 36 years old the next time he fights.

Silva vs GSP and Silva vs Shogun are my dream fights but eh realistically speaking GSP DOES have much more to lose than Silva. Silva isn't as big of a draw and a loss near the end of his career wouldn't hurt him financially, whereas GSP is 29 and most likely has several years left in him. And the UFC's milking him for all he's worth at 170 where he'll probably remain champ for quite some time.
I agree for the most part, but I feel like Silva couldn't quite retire yet, unless he has a secondary income because as far as I know another 50 years of living can get expensive. (I don't actually know how much money he pulls in from MMA though, so I could be pretty off on this and if someone would like to clear that up I'd appreciate it)

From the reports, Silva usually clears about $200k per match these days, excluding bonuses like ppv shares and the like (so likely he makes quite a bit more since those are undisclosed). So I dunno, if he's been saving judiciously, he could very well probably retire and take up instructing at Black House or something and live out quite a comfy retirement. Not to mention besides Sonnen, Silva has still been shown to be in prime condition for the most part and still dominant.

Yay, Hendo won the strikeforce LHW belt!

Though I have to admit I was scared that first round, that one punch definitely wobbled him and Hendo's chin is about as ironclad as they come. But still, he came back and KOed him nicely with the right, as expected. So much for retirement at 40.

Yay, Hendo won the strikeforce LHW belt!
More importantly: yay, Hendo showed a gas tank for the first time in 4 years. Seriously Dan paced himself really well in that fight, mixed his gorilla strength wrestling with his striking without gassing himself out like he's done a few times (Rampage fight for instance).

Was really happy to see Marloes Coenen pull out the win too, massive come from behind victory for her.

On Silva retiring: he lives in Brazil, he makes 200k per fight + endorsements, bonuses, PPV cuts, acting roles, etc he probably has a couple of million in Brazilian real even after taxes, managerial cuts, cuts for his corner men and camp, etc - he could probably retire tomorrow if he's remotely smart with his money and be fine.

The H BOMB comes thru yet again for Henderson!! Love it hahahah he's like Randy but with dynamite in his right.

The H BOMB comes thru yet again for Henderson!! Love it hahahah he's like Randy but with dynamite in his right.
Not only that, Hendo is a genuinely classy dude out of the ring too (as opposed to the stage-managed class we get from Fedor or Couture in the ring) - never seen Hendo do anything unsportsmanlike etc in the ring either.

I like your sig, mine's outdated.

Excited to see Shogun KO Jones, and yeah Henderson's a great guy and a great fighter. He'd make my top 10 greatest of all time for sure.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Paul Daley and Dan Henderson as well. I want to see how this all works out. So many new match-ups it's kinda exiting.

GSP has work to do at 170 once again. Cain Velasquez as well.

Edit: No super-fights apparently, Scott Coker will still run Strikeforce, and no co-promotions.

Funny shit imo, especially after all of Dana's shit talking about them, Zuffa goes out and buys its biggest competitor. Funny funny funny...

Wonder how long until they merge them together, we all know it's inevitable (though it took a while for Zuffa to pull the trigger with WEC). Plus they now have the flexibility to move top fighters over to the UFC in case they can't come up with any compelling matchups (as they essentially own them), and Strikeforce still has several solid fighters in the varying weight classes that can hang with the UFC ones.

Overall definitely a win-win for Zuffa, though you almost wonder how long till someone brings out the inevitable monopoly lawsuit against them at this rate...granted it's a baseless case considering the numerous small ones out there, but someone will complain probably.

White also said there would never be cross-promotions between the UFC and the WEC either and look how that worked out. We can expect a merger in a few years, no more than five imo as more and more fans will want to see the super fights.

It's highly unlikely that Fedor will ever fight for the UFC, he'll probably retire before they ever merge.

Eh, I doubt Dana would even want to bother with Fedor in the UFC since his last 2 fights showed how aged he was becoming, and the last thing the UFC really needs is another "washed up" Pride star. However, having Bigfoot or Sergei would be kinda interesting...maybe Overeem too (though I doubt Werdum since his UFC stint wasn't exactly that successful).

And it's not like contract issues should be that big of a problem as long as a fighter agrees to fighting in the UFC, I'm sure most of them would love a bigger payday compared to what Strikeforce probably pays out on its contracts.

Eh, I doubt Dana would even want to bother with Fedor in the UFC since his last 2 fights showed how aged he was becoming, and the last thing the UFC really needs is another "washed up" Pride star.
I'm more referring to the fact I can't see Fedor wanting to fight again with Strikeforce under the Zuffa banner.

Bigfoot, Sergei, Werdum, Overeem, Barnett and even Rogers would all achieve some level of success in the UFC - I firmly believe all of those guys would win at least 50/50 of their fights against the likes of Nelson, Kongo, Rothwell and Mir (lower top 10 guys); I think Bigfoot, Overeem, Barnett and Sergei could probably be top contenders (assuming they show up in shape like they have lately).

Well the "if" with Barnett is you have to remember he wasn't exactly on his good side after leaving, almost akin to Tito. But hell Tito is fighting in the UFC again as well, you never know. But yeah, that's the main reason I didn't list Barnett, though hell Barnett could easily regain the HW champ I think if allowed to fight for it. Certainly I'd love to see Cro Cop/Barnett again as a rematch to their Pride open weight finals match, though that matchup probably will just end with Cro Cop losing >.>

But I agree, all of the ones you listed certainly would be more than good enough to matchup with people like Kongo, Mir, and Rothwell, though I think Nelson would give them bits of trouble (at least more than someone like Rothwell). Hell, I'd even take bets that someone like Bigfoot or Barnett could beat Lesnar and Carwin as well (as Lesnar deplores being hit, and Carwin gasses after R1).

But yeah, that's the main reason I didn't list Barnett, though hell Barnett could easily regain the HW champ I think if allowed to fight for it. Certainly I'd love to see Cro Cop/Barnett again as a rematch to their Pride open weight finals match, though that matchup probably will just end with Cro Cop losing >.>
If the world was just Barnett would be 0-1 and 2 NCs with Cro Cop - one win by freak injury and another by blatant eye poke (which the ref ignored).

You know Dana wants nothing more than to have Josh lose in the UFC for all the years Josh has been saying the real UFC title is in his house though haha.

But I agree, all of the ones you listed certainly would be more than good enough to matchup with people like Kongo, Mir, and Rothwell, though I think Nelson would give them bits of trouble (at least more than someone like Rothwell). Hell, I'd even take bets that someone like Bigfoot or Barnett could beat Lesnar and Carwin as well (as Lesnar deplores being hit, and Carwin gasses after R1).
Nelson isn't all that much better than Rothwell, bit harder in the head perhaps.

Come to think of it, the only match I've watched with Rothwell was him getting his ass kicked by Cain >.>

Maybe I should watch more of him...I know he beat Nelson somewhere in like IFC right?

^If you wana watch a fatass hobble around the cage, then sure you should. :) He's alright, never really reached the top.

UFC 128 is coming up this Saturday and it looks to be a decent card. Only reason I'll be watching will be to see Shogun/Jones and see Crocop get in there.

My only prediction is Shogun/Jones and that's Shogun via TKO in the first. Jones is VERY dangerous and his GnP is the only area where he can really punish Shogun. But Jones is still untested versus the toughest competition and he's yet to fight anyone NEAR the skill level of Shogun, so it'll be interesting to see how he copes.

Shogun's a tough bastard and I don't see him getting broken, Jones will be able to get him to the ground but whether he'll keep him there or not get tapped is a whole another issue. Either way Shogun via TKO/sub in the first, TKO is my pick.

Besides he's my boy of course he'll win. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)