The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

The worst thing I ever did was restart Yellow when I was very young. I didn't realize it would delete all my Pokemon... I cried all day!

In Sapphire I encountered my first shiny, a Roselia. I weakened it down to red and went to throw a ball, but it turns out I had none left. Ever since then I've basically carried 100+ Pokeballs on me at all times.

Almost beat Yellow version from 3rd gym til Elite 4 in one day. Fell asleep feeling good, woke up and realized that I didnt save the game.

While playing Pokemon Black I was doing homework and decided to take a break. So I randomly was encountering pokemon and then pressing run. What ended up happening was I found a shiny bouffalant but not knowing it was shiny at the time I ran. ._.

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
While playing Pokemon Black I was doing homework and decided to take a break. So I randomly was encountering pokemon and then pressing run. What ended up happening was I found a shiny bouffalant but not knowing it was shiny at the time I ran. ._.
I had something similar, at one point in Pokemon White I was multitasking while training, and I found a shiny boldore. I found this out about a year later when looking through the pokedex.

Shiny boldores look like:

;~;

I always picked Bulbasaur as my starter while my labor ther chose Charmander. Please note I had a competitive mindset consisting of: "IMMA USE MY VENUSAUR AGAINST HIS CHARIZARD, AND IT'LL BE JUST LIKE IN THE GAME WHEN I BEAT GARY AND I WIN!" Needless to say, my poor Venusaur was always reduced to cinders. I WAS 6, OK?! I HAD NO CONCEPT OF TYPE ADVANTAGES.

The only thing that comes to mind is when I accidentally fainted a shiny Linoone back in Gen III because somehow in my mind, shiny pokemon were stronger than regular pokes and I wanted to see if I can get it low enough with a Blaze Kick from my Blaziken which was like 30 levels higher or something. >.>

Needless to say, after that day, then I understood that shiny pokes are no stronger than their unshiny counterparts.

This year, VGC tourney. I had changed my team at two am on the tournament's day, and didn't have enough time to test, and had never used Mold Breaker before. I had Gyarados with two Dragon Dances up agains a sleeping Scizor and green energy Mega Mawile. I chose Mega Evo and e-quake at the same time as I switched Rotom-H into the game, in order to Overheat Scizor to death... Well... You can all imagine what happened and that I lost that game... And if I had won, I'd be in the Top Cut for the Semifinals. FML.

One time when I was a young kid I wasted my Master Ball in Pokemon Platinum on a Sudowoodo. It wasn't even shiny. Thankfully I didn't save after that but damn did I feel stupid

Restarting my save on Pearl for a nuzlocke run that I never actually got around to doing, thus erasing my Emerald legendaries, my shiny Golem, my first-ever level 100...

Another mistake I regret: Purposely trading a Shiny Zoroark for a Blaze Torchic, because I forgot that I could just get one by breeding a Speed Boost one with something other than Ditto. I'm still kicking myself over that.

This was just recent, but I was battling this one guy on Showdown. I led off with Landorus-T and he led off with his Thundurus-I. I saw that the Thundurus-I had Defiant after the Intimidate so I thought "Hurr de durr this is gonna be a physical Thundurus" WRONG. I get HP Iced and the battle goes downhill from there because of that massive brain lapse. I was on my "Buttfumble" alt and I definitely played like the New York Jets did in that game. That was a stupid play on my end and I should feel bad for it.

So I just thought of a couple things I did.

One was when I was really young, my parents had company over and they had a kid my age who they introduced to me. I decided to start a new game in Pokemon Red to play with him, but not save so I could keep my completed file. Yeah, you can see where this is going. When we get called off to eat supper, I decide to save the game so we can come back to it after Supper... it's not until after I got back from supper that I realized I had saved over my game. My very first Pokemon file. I don't remember all the details (this was well over 10 years ago) but I know I didn't react well.

The other thing is more recent. When I started playing Pokemon competitively again in Generation V, weather wars were in full swing. I had already had some success with a rain team and had started to hear about people using trapping Pokemon to gain the edge in weather wars. So I decide to try a sand team out with Excadrill to sweep. For my trapper I chose... Gengar. Yeah, I know. I decided to attempt a mean-look, hypnosis dream-eater set. It worked about as well as you'd expect, dropped to the lowest I've ever been on the ladder (well below 1000). Now I had made this team knowing it probably wouldn't work, but the sad part was I was still proud of my absolutely useless Gengar set. I've learned a bit since then, but holy crap I can't believe I ever thought that was a good idea.

So I just thought of a couple things I did.

One was when I was really young, my parents had company over and they had a kid my age who they introduced to me. I decided to start a new game in Pokemon Red to play with him, but not save so I could keep my completed file. Yeah, you can see where this is going. When we get called off to eat supper, I decide to save the game so we can come back to it after Supper... it's not until after I got back from supper that I realized I had saved over my game. My very first Pokemon file. I don't remember all the details (this was well over 10 years ago) but I know I didn't react well.

The other thing is more recent. When I started playing Pokemon competitively again in Generation V, weather wars were in full swing. I had already had some success with a rain team and had started to hear about people using trapping Pokemon to gain the edge in weather wars. So I decide to try a sand team out with Excadrill to sweep. For my trapper I chose... Gengar. Yeah, I know. I decided to attempt a mean-look, hypnosis dream-eater set. It worked about as well as you'd expect, dropped to the lowest I've ever been on the ladder (well below 1000). Now I had made this team knowing it probably wouldn't work, but the sad part was I was still proud of my absolutely useless Gengar set. I've learned a bit since then, but holy crap I can't believe I ever thought that was a good idea.
you said about your red version before, either that or im having a motherload of de ja vu

When I first got Pokemon Diamond kids at my school were saying that once you defeated 4 gyms you had to release every Pokemon in your PC and inventory to sacrifice to the Poke-Gods to get the "God Ball". Me being a dumb second grader I did this and later found out it was all a joke. Had to kiss goodbye my two boxes full of Bidoof and Starly and my entire over-leveled team.

Another one: When I first got Emerald so long ago, I refused to believe that G3 and G2 weren't compatible, so I bought a bunch of worthless multiplatform link cables. Yeesh, I was stubborn... but DANG IT I WANTED MY DRAGONITE

Reactions: JES

phantom

Banned deucer.
I was getting sick of running into zubat and junk on my Heart Gold, so I sold all my Pokeballs for repels. When one of the repels ran out, I forgot to activate the other one and ran into a wild Pokemon disgruntling thinking it was another zubat. Turns out it was a shiny ponyta. I just sorta stared at the screen for a couple minutes before I turned off the game and put it away.

I RNGed a 6IV31 male Stunfisk with Earth Power (learned by move tutoring) and Spark (egg move from Tynamo) in gen V to breed those moves to Barboach in gen VI. Then the day care man said "The two prefer to play with other Pokémon than each other." Plus I didn't even know that Stunfisk could learn Earth Power from Slugma line/Corsola so the blues shards I spent for move tutoring were wasted u____u

How Stunfisk can breed with something like Gardevoir or Trevenant or even Dragonite, but not with Barboach? This makes no sense, but that's Pokémon logic I guess. At least this Stunfisk was also RNGed for shininess and I planned to Wonder Trade it to make someone amazed.

Edit: I remember now that move tutoring Earth Power is the only way to get both EP + Spark on Stunfisk in gen V (because mothers don't pass egg moves this gen), but still.

Last edited:
I have one from my childhood. I was around 8-9 years old at the time, and I Couldn't get my way through to spear pillar to catch dialga.I spent so much time there, I Hatched a Riolu, made it evolve, and got it to level 56. i Was so so dumb back then. The good side was I swept the hole game from then onwards, thank you mighty lucario.

This:
A wild Virizion appeared!
Go! Musharna!
(Pretty normal…)
Musharna used Hypnosis! The wild Virizion fell asleep! The wild Virizion is fast asleep.
(Still pretty normal…)
Mark used a Quick Ball!
I proceeded to throw Ultra Balls and catch the Virizion, but yeah...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)