The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

I was 8-9 when this happened. I just beat the Elite 4 in Pokemon Pearl and was taking the boat to the Battle Zone. I thought the game was over after beating the Elite 4, but there was a whole new area to explore and I was soo excited. I couldn't wait for more gameplay.
View attachment 59911
Buuut... In order to progress, these two assholes said I needed to get the national pokedex first. I had no idea what that meant or how I was going to get it. After a pretty long time, I figured I needed to finish my current pokedex to get the national dex. Turns out I was missing one single pokemon, Lumineon. So being the dumb kid I was, I caught a pissweak Finneon and grinded wild Pokemon with it until it reached lvl 31. Didn't even use the XP share, I actually used the Finneon itself. It was a painful process but I finally got my natdex and enjoyed the rest of the game.

Some time later I was messin around in some route and I saw a trainer I hadn't fought yet. She had a Lumineon.

fuck you lumineon. No one remembers you exist and no one cares about you. I hope you stay irrelevant forever.
The funny thing is. Lumineon is actually one of the few Pokemon I tend to remember EXPLICITLY because of how generic and immemorable it is.

I guess that by now you all know the stories where you fail to recognize a shiny as a little kid playing Pokemon. But did you know that something stupid like that can actually happen to a 22 year old that has been playing Pokemon for years?

It's almost 5am right now where I live, and here I am catching Pokemon for my dex. I've fished my old Pearl game out of its dusty cover, attempting to catch Pokemon I cannot catch in Omega Ruby on it. But after enduring endless frustration when the Bonsly on Route 209 just didn't want to be found at all, I thought of the idea to use the PokéRadar in a fit of pure hopelessness. I had forgotten all about its workings, and even in the past I rarely if ever used it at all. I remembered that you needed to go to the shaking spots that were furthest away from your position though, so I gave it a try. First use of the radar in YEARS and there's this spot that's shaking and gleaming and shining VIOLENTLY right next to me. Never seen anything like that. "Are they supposed to shine like that?" That's what I thought as I walked to the shaking spot furthest away from it. And then it dawned to me. Ah, yep. I'm an idiot.

I was 8-9 when this happened. I just beat the Elite 4 in Pokemon Pearl and was taking the boat to the Battle Zone. I thought the game was over after beating the Elite 4, but there was a whole new area to explore and I was soo excited. I couldn't wait for more gameplay.
View attachment 59911
Buuut... In order to progress, these two assholes said I needed to get the national pokedex first. I had no idea what that meant or how I was going to get it. After a pretty long time, I figured I needed to finish my current pokedex to get the national dex. Turns out I was missing one single pokemon, Lumineon. So being the dumb kid I was, I caught a pissweak Finneon and grinded wild Pokemon with it until it reached lvl 31. Didn't even use the XP share, I actually used the Finneon itself. It was a painful process but I finally got my natdex and enjoyed the rest of the game.

Some time later I was messin around in some route and I saw a trainer I hadn't fought yet. She had a Lumineon.

fuck you lumineon. No one remembers you exist and no one cares about you. I hope you stay irrelevant forever.
Funnily enough, Lumineon is probably my second favorite fish Pokemon out of pure concept. It's not like the rest were very good other than lord Magikarp.

You know you're still not quite awake when you're just one slide away from getting a 3+ combo, and getting all 530 coins in the Meowth stage. Unfortunately, my grip on the stylus wasn't quite sturdy enough, and I didn't match the icons I wanted. And so I lost that attempt. And as if to say "and you call me a fucking idiot!", the RNG prevented me from scoring 530 coins for the rest of my attempts.

That time when you go to recheck the moveset for that new legendary you've just caught, only to realize that the nature you have is one generation out of date. Apparently, an Adamant nature is considered better than a Jolly nature. And he has 31 IVs in everything but Defense and Special Attack...

Guess I'll have to check each and every Pokémon before I start to soft reset, or risk end up with a nature that is no longer considered relevant. Hopefully, I won't have to breed another special Smeargle.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Ok so, all day for the past two days, in Omega Ruby, I went GTS hunting for a shiny Rayquaza. People asked for the weirdest things offering their shiny Rayquaza like Barbaracle, Meowth, Magcargo, Milotic, and even Trevenant, (all level 91 and above). Me, I'm over here searching for some of these Pokemon and usually some of them offer those Pokemon for a Pokemon too risky to trade. Earlier today, I saw a trainer offering a shiny Rayquaza for a Trevenant that was level 91 or above. I look at it at a few minutes wondering if I could get one quickly enough from searching Trevenant on the GTS. After looking, I went back to the Rayquaza section and the Trevenant request was still there (and was for about another 5-7 minutes). I felt safe, I searched up the Trevenants again and one guy offered a level 100 Trevenant for an Arceus. I traded my only level 100 Arceus for that Trevenant at the time so that I could quickly go back and get the shiny Rayquaza. By the time I got back to the Rayquaza section, the Trevenant request was gone... I was disappointed for a few minutes and felt a bit salty but then quickly moved on, because the Arceus didn't really matter that much. Afterwards, some guy asked for a Moltres offering one, I went looking for Moltres in gts and they were asking for Manaphy (See Other Information). I was like nope, not making another risky trade like I did with Trevenant... I went back to the Rayquaza section and that request for Moltres was already gone, so I was lucky. So I'm over here for another hour or two still searching up shiny Rayquaza and even Wonder Trading and then I find a regular Rayquaza user requesting a Deoxys. I'm like wynaut because they said please and I had 2 Deoxys anyway (Also after all of this, I deposited that regular Rayquaza for a Kyogre and it worked). I traded the Deoxys for a regular level 76 Rayquaza, and a few minutes later, I think I saw the same guy offering a level 100 Rayquaza for another Deoxys... Ok so afterwards I find a shiny Rayquaza user offering a Deoxys, I didn't hesitate, I went lightning speed towards my last Deoxys and traded it. I finally got a shiny Rayquaza!

Other information:
Some time when I was randomly Wonder Trading in the process of trying to get a shiny Rayquaza in the GTS, I got a shiny Manaphy which I didn't realize that it was shiny at first (because they barely look any different). I decided to keep it just in case anyone requested a Manaphy for a shiny Rayquaza. After I finally got the Shiny Rayquaza, I deposited the shiny Manaphy in the GTS for an Arceus and I asked specifically for the Arceus not to be shiny. Soon after, I got a shiny Arceus. I rather just found that funny and went back to the GTS knowing that Arceus users would send their Arceus just to ask for another Arceus. Soon after, I found a regular Arceus and traded my shiny Arceus for it. I find out the the Arceus I got was far better than the one I traded for Trevenant in nature, IVs maybe, and it even had ribbons/pokeblock training for the Pokemon Contests.

Basically what I'm saying here is that my day turned from facepalm worthy moments, to ode of joy.

Stars:
Arceus 1 (Got rid of)
Manaphy (Got rid of)
Trevenant (Still have for some odd reason)
Deoxys 1 (Got rid of)
Deoxys 2 (Got rid of)
Rayquaza 1 (Got rid of)
Rayquaza 2 (Will always have <3)
Arceus 2 (Got rid of)
Arceus 3 (Will always still have)
Kyogre (still have)

These are every Pokemon I mentioned above that I have had or still have.

Last edited:
Ok so, all day for the past two days, in Omega Ruby, I went GTS hunting for a shiny Rayquaza. People asked for the weirdest things offering their shiny Rayquaza like Barbaracle, Meowth, Magcargo, Milotic, and even Trevenant, (all level 91 and above). Me, I'm over here searching for some of these Pokemon and usually some of them offer those Pokemon for a Pokemon too risky to trade. Earlier today, I saw a trainer offering a shiny Rayquaza for a Trevenant that was level 91 or above. I look at it at a few minutes wondering if I could get one quickly enough from searching Trevenant on the GTS. After looking, I went back to the Rayquaza section and the Trevenant request was still there (and was for about another 5-7 minutes). I felt safe, I searched up the Trevenants again and one guy offered a level 100 Trevenant for an Arceus. I traded my only level 100 Arceus for that Trevenant at the time so that I could quickly go back and get the shiny Rayquaza. By the time I got back to the Rayquaza section, the Trevenant request was gone... I was disappointed for a few minutes and felt a bit salty but then quickly moved on, because the Arceus didn't really matter that much. Afterwards, some guy asked for a Moltres offering one, I went looking for Moltres in gts and they were asking for Manaphy (See Other Information). I was like nope, not making another risky trade like I did with Trevenant... I went back to the Rayquaza section and that request for Moltres was already gone, so I was lucky. So I'm over here for another hour or two still searching up shiny Rayquaza and even Wonder Trading and then I find a regular Rayquaza user requesting a Deoxys. I'm like wynaut because they said please and I had 2 Deoxys anyway (Also after all of this, I deposited that regular Rayquaza for a Kyogre and it worked). I traded the Deoxys for a regular level 76 Rayquaza, and a few minutes later, I think I saw the same guy offering a level 100 Rayquaza for another Deoxys... Ok so afterwards I find a shiny Rayquaza user offering a Deoxys, I didn't hesitate, I went lightning speed towards my last Deoxys and traded it. I finally got a shiny Rayquaza!

Other information:
Some time when I was randomly Wonder Trading in the process of trying to get a shiny Rayquaza in the GTS, I got a shiny Manaphy which I didn't realize that it was shiny at first (because they barely look any different). I decided to keep it just in case anyone requested a Manaphy for a shiny Rayquaza. After I finally got the Shiny Rayquaza, I deposited the shiny Manaphy in the GTS for an Arceus and I asked specifically for the Arceus not to be shiny. Soon after, I got a shiny Arceus. I rather just found that funny and went back to the GTS knowing that Arceus users would send their Arceus just to ask for another Arceus. Soon after, I found a regular Arceus and traded my shiny Arceus for it. I find out the the Arceus I got was far better than the one I traded for Trevenant in nature, IVs maybe, and it even had ribbons/pokeblock training for the Pokemon Contests.

Basically what I'm saying here is that my day turned from facepalm worthy moments, to ode of joy.
Cool story except for the fact that Arceus, Manaphy, Deoxys and the event shiny Rayquaza are Pokemon that can't be traded through GTS or Wonder Trade. So you are either lying or you were trading around hacked pokemon. Neither scenario is good.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Cool story except for the fact that Arceus, Manaphy, Deoxys and the event shiny Rayquaza are Pokemon that can't be traded through GTS or Wonder Trade. So you are either lying or you were trading around hacked pokemon. Neither scenario is good.
> me lying about any of this.
The majority of these were the Pokemon I got from Wonder Trade. That one normal Deoxys was in game. Also, The shiny Rayquaza wasn't an event Rayquaza for reasons I don't actually know.

Please if you don't believe me, I beg you to get the game yourself and search through the GTS...(really assuming you haven't)

Last edited:
> me lying about any of this.
The majority of these were the Pokemon I got from Wonder Trade. That one normal Deoxys was in game. Also, The shiny Rayquaza wasn't an event Rayquaza.

Please if you don't believe me, I beg you to get the game yourself and search through the GTS...(really assuming you haven't)
So you were trading hacked pokemon then? IDK what's the stance of OI in talking about hacked pokemon but regardless of that I think that the real facepalm here is that you were trading for this hacks that could get you banned from the online services if you ever used them. Honestly I wouldn't trade a legit caterpie for that stuff haha

I think I probably made one of the most facepalm worthy acts in my career as a trainer. I was just beginning to soft-reset for Thundurus, and as everyone knows, HP-Ice plays a major part in his possible movesets.

The first one with the right IVs in HP and Speed, and I also not only get the right HP, but also 31IVs in Defense and Special Defense. But he doesn't have 31 IVs in Speed, so I reset, thinking that I should give him as much speed as possible. But upon trying to lop off excess Attack and Special Attack to make way for more Speed, I find out that I pretty much have all the stats on my Smeargle where they are supposed to be.

My face felt warm as I realized I probably got rid of the exact Thundurus I wanted, and calculated it'd probably take at least 28 more attempts just to get another HP Ice Thundurus, and I just blew away potentially saved time. And to think I said out loud "guess God is looking out for me". Guess I better hope he gives me another shot soon. With S&M approaching, I want to get all the legendaries bagged and tagged.

In my playthrough of Pearl, I was just starting to learn about natures, EVs, IVs, and other battle mechanics, and for some reason I thought having a bad nature on a Pokemon made it completely useless in gameplay.
So I was playing my game, and I some how managed to get a shiny Shieldon. I didn't realize it was shiny... But don't worry! I saw the red star next to it's name... And I thought it had PokeRus.
So I threw it in my PC (so that it didn't lose its' "Pokerus" I guess?) and forgot about it until 2 months ago when I booted up the game file and screamed.

Morale of the Story: If you are six years old, don't try and learn what PokeRus and Natures and IVs do before you can recognize a shiny.

Last edited:
Wonder Trading a basic pokemon before evolving it fully. Did that to my Mudkip before I could get the Swampert entry. I was WTing to get a team I could mow through the game with and completely whiffed on it.

Speaking of shiny Pokemon, I actually caught my first non-Red Gyarados shiny for the first time since a shiny Meowth in the original Silver (I actually caught two in that save file. The other was a shiny Poliwhirl). It was a Foretress I encountered on a Mirage Spot. It was also my first shiny encounter since a Silcoon in Diamond many years ago.

I have 2. Firstly, I was struggling to catch a Donphan in HeartGold, and I threw a Master Ball at it (which I didn't think to do at the Ho-Oh I'd just failed to catch).

The second one is the biggest waste of 3 years of my life. Platinum was my first Pokemon game (I was 7 at the time). Because I was a total noob, I progressed through the game with only Tutie the Torterra (it took me about 5 years to realise I'd spelt it wrong and it was meant to be Turtie). When I got to the seventh gym, the Ice one, I was in for a problem. I spent 3 YEARS trying to beat the gym. I was still trying when HGSS came out. Due to Torterra's 4x Ice weakness, a Froslass' Snow Cloak, I could not beat it. I tried using different Pokemon. Then I finally had an answer. A level 33 Magnezone with Magnet Bomb. And I destroyed the gym with a Pokemon 11 levels under. IF ONLY I KNEW THAT BEFORE. I wasted 3 years of my life trying to beat a gym and this is also why Froslass is my least favourite Pokemon.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have 2. Firstly, I was struggling to catch a Donphan in HeartGold, and I threw a Master Ball at it (which I didn't think to do at the Ho-Oh I'd just failed to catch).

The second one is the biggest waste of 3 years of my life. Platinum was my first Pokemon game (I was 7 at the time). Because I was a total noob, I progressed through the game with only Tutie the Torterra (it took me about 5 years to realise I'd spelt it wrong and it was meant to be Turtie). When I got to the seventh gym, the Ice one, I was in for a problem. I spent 3 YEARS trying to beat the gym. I was still trying when HGSS came out. Due to Torterra's 4x Ice weakness, a Froslass' Snow Cloak, I could not beat it. I tried using different Pokemon. Then I finally had an answer. A level 33 Magnezone with Magnet Bomb. And I destroyed the gym with a Pokemon 11 levels under. IF ONLY I KNEW THAT BEFORE. I wasted 3 years of my life trying to beat a gym and this is also why Froslass is my least favourite Pokemon.
Something similar happened to my brother playing the same game, except his Torterra was named "DUDE". He was able to beat the gym pretty easily, but he had no idea what to do afterward so he just started grinding on who knows what, which resulted in his three best Pokémon (DUDE, BUIZY the Floatzel, and a Magmar) growing to Lv. 80. He ended up figuring it out, though.

Alright guys this happened soon after I had beaten XY for the 1st time... I traded away my Xerneas for a Ditto on the GTS because the message said it had 6IVs, and the dumb silly me who didn't know sh#t about how IVs actually worked, believed it.
Someone in this world sure got a hell of a laugh at my expense :toast: .

View attachment 59911

I remember in my first run of pokemon Diamond, Lumineon was also the last pokemon I needed to find and I spent ages. There is probably only one trainer which has it in the game...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Tell me if this is face palm worthy, I threw a masterball at a eevee in BW2
Have you been playing since Gen I? If so I'm just imagining your inner young self seeing a wild Eevee appear and go "OMG THOSE ARE SUPER RARE! MASTER BALL BEFORE IT GETS AWAY!". And then seconds later you run into another Eevee and discover in that small park Eevee are natrual and be like "Fuuuuu....".

yes i have my first game was blue,
Have you been playing since Gen I? If so I'm just imagining your inner young self seeing a wild Eevee appear and go "OMG THOSE ARE SUPER RARE! MASTER BALL BEFORE IT GETS AWAY!". And then seconds later you run into another Eevee and discover in that small park Eevee are natrual and be like "Fuuuuu....".
Yes my first game was blue but didnt they give u a eevee in gen 1 at a school? and evees only in one part in white 2 so its not everywere and i tried 30 times with sweet scent so have u played B and W 2?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
yes i have my first game was blue,

Yes my first game was blue but didnt they give u a eevee in gen 1 at a school? and evees only in one part in white 2 so its not everywere and i tried 30 times with sweet scent so have u played B and W 2?
Yes, I played White 2. I was making a joke that since in Gen I you only got the one Eevee that a person encountering one in the wild for the first time in BW2 (the first game to have guaranteed wild Eevees if you don't count Mr. Backlot's Trophy Garden which there was only a random chance of wild Eevee being in there) would have a "OMG MUST CATCH" sort of moment.

Yes, I played White 2. I was making a joke that since in Gen I you only got the one Eevee that a person encountering one in the wild for the first time in BW2 (the first game to have guaranteed wild Eevees if you don't count Mr. Backlot's Trophy Garden which there was only a random chance of wild Eevee being in there) would have a "OMG MUST CATCH" sort of moment.
what was ur best omg catch moment? o3o (sorry i had to quell the butthurt side of me)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)