Project The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition V3 - FINISHED

Status
Not open for further replies.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
The Winner of Week 18 goes to DANN3's Substitute Fly Dragonite! Congratz for entering the Hall of Fame!

The Pokemon for Week 19 is Latios!
/

Latios is great Pokemon to have on Offensive teams, that's because Latios has very fast speed and good offensive power, not to mention that it gets Defog to remove Field Hazards. Latios like most Offensive Pokemon is quite frail in its Defense so it has to watch out against opposing attackers and because of this can make it a Pursuit Trappers bait.

P.S. Plz check the Smogdex before posting to make sure that isn't a moveset already. Also Mega Latios doesn't have any movesets because it's a "great" Pokemon...​

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Latios @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt/ Roost
- Trick
- Draco Meteor

252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 226-267 (57.3 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Sylveon: 210-247 (53.2 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Thunderbolt vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 388-458 (101 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I chose to put trick to block pokemon as chansey, Skarmory, klefki that are very irritating to latios, I also put roost as an alternative to stay more time in battle against the defensive team.

Last edited:

Latios @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Memento
- Magic Coat / Tailwind / Draco Meteor

Latios makes a decent dual screen user on HO teams due to its excellent speed, great support movepool in memento, magic coat and tailwind, and the fact that the threat of draco meteor forces lots of switches. The combination of reflect, light screen, and memento gains momentum and makes it so easy for the breaker/sweeper of your choice to set up its not even funny, as your sweeper gets a free safe switch, behind screens, into a -2/-2 opponent. In the last slot magic coat makes a great option as an anti-lead, to stop taunt users in their tracks which would otherwise ruin Latios' day, and to reflect rocks etc. Tailwind can be a useful option depending on the rest of the team, to be used before memento and effectively pass speed boosts as well as defence boosts. Finally draco meteor is an option to have some offensive presence. Max speed is mandatory, there is probably a more efficient EV spread for the defences, but this one works.

Last edited:
Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Heal Block

beats a bunch of defensive mons like mega slowbro, chansey, clef, jirachi, celebi, ferro, mew, etcetc by stopping them from healing.

Last edited:

p2

Banned deucer.

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Defog

thunder, despite its low accuracy, actually lets latios ohko the stuff that thunderbolt hits. 30% chance to para is nice too and helps cripple stuff like ScarfTar on switchins

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Thunder vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 312-369 (91.4 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Thunder vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 374-442 (97.3 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Thunder vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 364-429 (92.3 - 108.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

there are replays going around but ps replays are so slow right now

Last edited:
Dragon Dance Mega Latios

Latios @ Latiosite
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 Def / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage/Dragon Claw
- Zen Headbutt
- Dragon Dance
- Roost/Earthquake

General idea: the main advantage that Mega Latios has over his normal form is its extra bulk on both sides of the spectrum and better longevity (due to the loss of Life Orb), so it would stand to reason that a Calm Mind set with Roost would be the best way to take advantage of this extra staying power. Interesting enough, Mega Latios' Atk is higher than regular Latios' one so makes sense to use it as a physical attacker because it receives 40 extra base stats in that outdamaging the Life Orb boost.
In OU we have many Dragon Dancers (i.e. Mega Charizard-X, Mega Altaria, Tyranitar) but none of them is that fast before a boost.

Some calcs:
252+ Atk Mega Latios Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 392-464 (131.9 - 156.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mega Latios Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 264-312 (88.8 - 105%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Mega Latios Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 240-284 (88.5 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Mega Latios Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 182-216 (50 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Dragon Dance is mandatory because it grants the moveset's viability, then there are the dual physical STABs with the endless choice between Dragon Claw and Outrage. The 4° slot is flexible: Roost for longevity or Earthquake for useful coverage and Defog is also an option if you don't have a defogger. I really like Earthquake to deal with Bisharp and Tyranitar but this is only my personal choice.

vs Mega Charizard-X, the most effective Dragon Dancer in the meta
Pros:
  • Better Spe
  • Better HP and SpD
  • Immunity to Ground attacks (bar Mold Breaker ones), Spikes and Toxic Spikes
  • Not weak to SR pre and post Mega evolution
Cons:
  • Less Atk due to Tough Claws
  • Less Def
  • Six weaknesses instead of four

EVs spread and nature: customizable, but I'm trying to find the best Spe benchmark before the boost provided by Dragon Dance; now it sits on 318 Spe outspeeding Kyurem-B with full EVs investment and a positive nature. Many DDancers runs Adamant with no EVs Spe and -maybe- even Latios can do this due to the switch-outs it provides.

Last edited:

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Shiny Latios is the best Latios Screw blue mons

Offensive Tailwind Support Latios

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Defog
- Tailwind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

This is a set which I have been playing around with as of late. There are many times where I realize that I am in a tough position where I have to sack something. In many games I find that the pokemon I end up sacking is Latios, and this set makes doing so worthwhile. In lieu of a third coverage move or recovery, you can use Tailwind once you realize that your Latios is going down and provide valuable speed support for a slow wallbreaker to take advantage of the enemy team.

For example, say Latios uses Defog to get rid of hazards and a Bisharp switches in, its basically over for Latios, so you can use Tailwind while Bisharp takes down Latios in order to bring in a Crawdaunt or something and simply wreak havoc. (Not the best example but this shows what it does in general) More people should take advantage of this set, it's a ton of fun.

Edit: This also allows you to smack the pokemons that usually outspeed Latios as well such as Weavile or Torn-T which is nice, so Latios himself can make use of Tailwind along with the help of its teammates, making this one deadly set given the right team members to take advantage of it.

Last edited:
Reflect Latios

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Psyshock
Unlike Latias, Latios does not learn Reflect Type. So it needs another way to get past Pursuit trappers. Reflect also helps its teammates, but not to the same extent as Tailwind. Unlike Colbur Berry sets, it doesn't lose any power.

252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Pursuit (80BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios through Reflect: 202-238 (67.5 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit (80BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios through Reflect: 160-190 (53.5 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

Defog is an option over Roost, but since Latios will still be taking considerable damage from Pursuit, it will need a way to heal the damage.

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Basically, This is your Darkspam check. This is how you usually use it
Step 1: Substitute on the predicted Switch/Sucker Punch
Step 2: HP Fighting on Bisharp/TTar/Weavile.
Step 3: Nuke Something w/ Draco Meteor
Step 4: Switch out and find an opportunity to come back in and heal back up w/ roost

Of course, without psyshock latios it's going to have a hard time with chansey, so it's reccomended to pair this with a powerful fighting type/Darkspammer

Flame Orb Latios

Latios (M) @ Flame Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Trick

Basically dis cripples majority of the pursuit trappers that come in on it. Earthquake is just in case heatran comes in so Latios can KO it can take back the flame orb. Dis also cripples mons like chansey or other stall mons in general. Just standard crap with something to cripple stuff.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog

Standard Latios except TWave to cripple it's switch-ins. Pretty simple really

Rain Latios

Latios (M) @ Life Orb / Damp Rock
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Thunder / Memento

I used to use this set a lot in BW because Latios invites in Tyranitar and SpDef Hippo and this always catches them by surprise. It works really well as a stand-alone wallbreaker (with Thunder and Life Orb) or supporting another rain sweeper (with Memento and Damp Rock). Plus it's pretty freaking cool.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
I swear Mega Latios is gud...Voting Starts now and will end in 48 Hours! Here are your choices:

Choice Specs Latios
Screens Latios
Heal Block Latios
Thunder Latios
Dragon Dance Mega Latios
Tailwind Latios
Reflect Latios
Substitute HP Fighting Latios
Flame Orb Latios
Thunder Wave Latios
Rain Latios

This time is very hard to choose because I think that Latios as, in actual fact, low room for competitive innovation. Still, I vote for:
Thunder Latios
(because is underrated as a rain attacker because Thunder mixes the sheer power of Electric coverage with a nasty 30% chance to paralyse the opponent. Thunder Wave has 100 % accuracy but you have to drop an attack ===> I think that on Latios Thunder is generally better than Thunder Wave)

I'm a little surprised due to the lack of love towards DD Mega Latios: it is not bad and is quite unexpected.

Last edited:
Tailwind Latios
When potentially pursuit trapped by bisharp or tyranitar it can just get up a suicide tailwind and then go into something like a sweeper that appreciates the boost (along the lines of m-herra, especially considering it feeds on bisharp and tyranitar), which shows that twind lati has great versatility with a variety of pokemon that aren't used often due to their sub-par speed tier, allowing for it to take place on a lot of cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)